dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

You are right about the size of the statistical pool to gather data from.

Your argument makes complete sense.

BUT (there's always a but)

The politics of European yachting and associated closely to that, IRC, will never allow it to modify quickly enough to avoid the incorrect ratings at both ends of the scale. Here is a very important point, for all the IRC low rating "bandits" there are also yachts suffering ridiculously high ratings e.g. Smooth Criminal, whose last IRC rating was higher than a DK46.

I must also argue that part of the problem is caused by the courses sailed in Victoria. A single number rating system works best when the number of upwind and downwind legs are the same e.g. 3 up and 3 down or 2 up and 2 down. By continuing to run the last leg of races as an upwind leg (3 up and 2 down, or 4 up and 3 down) the rating dynamic changes to favour those yachts with the better upwind optimisation.

Races should always be 50/50 upwind/downwind not 60/40 upwind/downwind. When was the last time a "recognised" keel boat regatta did not run the last leg as downwind to finish? Apart from making it easier for the race officials it also "levels" the playing field for upwind and downwind optimisation.

The new AMS2 rating for Smooth Criminal appears to be more "IRC like" as it has penalised the boat by at least 1% on most of the 1st division fleet.

What is the answer?

Changing to 50/50 courses would go some way to alleviate bias.

Don, just move to Qld , all races are downhill there

Better still, I will swap my alledged IRC bandit for your IRC dog

I will still do ok.

John Chatham and Llowa Paszko have had it in for the boat for years. The message here is if you buy a boat make sure that there are a few more of them racing as well so that if you do well you can point to the not so good ones as justification for not changing the rating.

As you all know, we have a new boat so I don't really give a rats what AMS2 does to Surprise. Her new rating is an insult to the performances that we have put in over the past four seasons and I have cancelled her AMS certificate and had her removed from the on-line list.

Mummy, Mummy, Mummy :( Boo, Hoo, Hoo

The big boys from up the street are picking on me again :angry:

It's not fair cause I've (sniff) spent all this money optomising my boat and now they want to change the rule to make it the same for everyone!! :o

I'm not playing anymore, taking my bat and ball and going home

Going to play with the soap dodgers in the next street, they will understand B)

Boo, Hoo, Hoo :(

By selectively targeting "Surprise" with AMS2 (and they cannot possibly deny having done that!)they have effectively removed one rating bandit from the AMS fleet but in doing so they have undoubtedly created others. Its really a shame because Surprise was a classic example of how a boat should be optimised , prepared and well sailed under a rating system.

What a sad indictment that we have a rating system and administrators who actively work to drive competitive yachts from their fleet and who espouse the attitude, if you don't like it well then you can just go race performance, or to put it less politely, fuck off, we don't want you.

DE really doesn't give a stuff about Surprise under AMS2, he has another competitive boat and has moved on. The loss of Surprise from the AMS fleet under such circumstances is lamentable.The actions of the AMS2 administrators who brought that about are disgraceful.

You are right about the size of the statistical pool to gather data from.

Your argument makes complete sense.

BUT (there's always a but)

The politics of European yachting and associated closely to that, IRC, will never allow it to modify quickly enough to avoid the incorrect ratings at both ends of the scale. Here is a very important point, for all the IRC low rating "bandits" there are also yachts suffering ridiculously high ratings e.g. Smooth Criminal, whose last IRC rating was higher than a DK46.

I must also argue that part of the problem is caused by the courses sailed in Victoria. A single number rating system works best when the number of upwind and downwind legs are the same e.g. 3 up and 3 down or 2 up and 2 down. By continuing to run the last leg of races as an upwind leg (3 up and 2 down, or 4 up and 3 down) the rating dynamic changes to favour those yachts with the better upwind optimisation.

Races should always be 50/50 upwind/downwind not 60/40 upwind/downwind. When was the last time a "recognised" keel boat regatta did not run the last leg as downwind to finish? Apart from making it easier for the race officials it also "levels" the playing field for upwind and downwind optimisation.

The new AMS2 rating for Smooth Criminal appears to be more "IRC like" as it has penalised the boat by at least 1% on most of the 1st division fleet.

What is the answer?

Absolutely agree. America's Cup, Olympics, Match racing, pretty well most sailing events are finished downwind these days.... except here in Victoria where the administrators of our sport have their collective heads jammed so far up their collective arses it ain't funny. But they protest, we have to protect the interests of the pre 1980 built 4KSBs that make up the bulk of the fleet.

I will still do ok.

I may have to move to QLD.

Are there crew up there?

First race of the season and NO CREW available, and by NO CREW I mean None, Zero, Nada, Zip, not one.

So I may have to race a Reichel Pugh 36 carbon fibre sportyacht weighing a grand total of 2,477kgs with more working sail area than a S38 and large asy kites off a 2 meter sprit, single handed.

Oh Joy, Oh glee.

HOW THE FUCK AM I GOING TO GET TO THE ICEBOX FOR COLD BEER???

You're not alone there Don. We've only done 2 of our clubs 4 races this season due to a lack of crew, seems to be that everyone is getting caught up with life and family duties instead of going sailing these days :(

I will still do ok.

Are there crew up there?

First race of the season and NO CREW available, and by NO CREW I mean None, Zero, Nada, Zip, not one.

So I may have to race a Reichel Pugh 36 carbon fibre sportyacht weighing a grand total of 2,477kgs with more working sail area than a S38 and large asy kites off a 2 meter sprit, single handed.

Oh Joy, Oh glee.

Swap your rating disaster for a Bluebird!! :blink:

Easy to sail single handed, the Esky will never be more than 22 feet away, and you'll be on the water for so long you wont care what your handicap is, as long as the Esky was full when you started :lol:

I will still do ok.

Are there crew up there?

Oh Joy, Oh glee.

Easy. Lash the esky to the tiller.

At 2.4 T, why don't you hardstand the fucker and save another 3kg of antifoul

I will still do ok.

Are there crew up there?

Oh Joy, Oh glee.

Easy. Lash the esky to the tiller.

At 2.4 T, why don't you hardstand the fucker and save another 3kg of antifoul

1. You have obviously not seen the size of the chilly bin.

2. 3 metre draft so the crane can't hoist the boat over the hardstand ledge (and no the keel does not raise)

I will still do ok.

Are there crew up there?

Oh Joy, Oh glee.

I think Wharro's free! :rolleyes:

The more interesting AMS 2 updates to today

• Absolut ?
  • ED Down 11 clicks (Sail Div 1 so don't have to face the real compitition, but don't go near a S38 or an 11)
  • TGun Up 14 click to .869 (completely dead i.e.11's down 31 & ED down 11)
  • APS Up 9 clicks to .875 (maybe OK but no longer just has to turn up, particularly as all closest competition has come down)
  • The other from SYC .874 (as above but less experiance and will sail week to week against Windspeed at SYC)
  • Wake Down 7 clicks (but relativly static against main compition)
  • TCutter ? (Robert are you there?)
  • Surprise Up to .870 (see TG comments and irrelivant as taken bat and ball and gone home)
  • GodzillaDown 13 clicks (and about the average, so no problems there)
  • Horizon Sprint Down a massive 28 clicks (always a dog in the light but her and Windspeed will be unbeatable when it blows)
  • Silk Up 11 clicks (perhaps OK until you look above................dead!)
  • Hick Up at .905 (no idea of previous but IMHO won't sail anywhere near that.)

So perhaps the Royals boats haven't fared as badly as first thought.

And I do agree with downwind finishes for a 50:50 upwind downwind split.

Measurement Rules would not have a problem with that and the Performance fleet handicaps would self adjust in time (as they do in any configuration)

Why don't you ask "Wicked" who posts on this thread often, after all he is the Club Captain Sail at SYC and could make it happen without a problem, stroke of a pen in fact.

Melbourne A31 could do similar work at Royals.

These boats have a nasty tendency to bury the bow with little warning, which is what Ash has now found out about! tongue.gif

So what about it Wicked One, downhill finishes :rolleyes:

How are you guys doing with the Rum supply?

Eh ?

Take it to Rum Anarchy

I will still do ok.

Are there crew up there?

Oh Joy, Oh glee.

Firstly, got all the crew you will ever need as your Sa/disp ratio does not approach the ult 30 or melges 32

Secondly, you boat is obviously so fast and well sailed you are back in the bar before your first beer it cold

And lastly, you are so unhappy with the boat make me an offer, you know where I am.

Don:

What is the answer?

One of the reasons I can't be bothered to race much these days is because I'm bored shitless by these upwind downwind "races". In fact I'm so bored by them I won't even spend time hauling marks for them except under extreme duress: -

"Walrus, we've had a Three point Five degree Right shift at the top mark, please move the bottom mark 75.2 meters left after the last boat is round." Ferchrissake!!!

I mean, you fuckers call yourself sailors? And now you are complaining about the number of upwind and downwind legs not being equal????????

What ever happened to dealing with uncertainty, risk management, adaptability, resilience, ingenuity, intelligence, forecasting, anticipation, pre-planning, determination in the face of adversity and all the other seaman-like skills that racing was originally designed to breed?

So what do we get today? "I say Freddie, I really admired the way you handled that Two point Five degree left shift and that terrible Five knot squall that went through, you must have pulled Six point Five seconds out of the Doll on that leg."

Don, you and others are demanding equality of outcome by trying to minimize uncertainty in what is an inherently chaotic system - the Sea. By doing so you are being unfair to those who have actually learned something about the sea in all its moods and their vessels associated performance as Judge said.

AMS2 and the type of predictable one dimensional racing you desire is taking the sport exactly down the same evolutionary garbage bin that IOR went down.

If it was me running things. You would get your handicap for the year. You would be running fixed triangular plus windward and return courses with the odd downwind start thrown in, and if the wind shifts - stiff, deal with it!

The number of collisions that I saw or heard about last year when people had to deal with less than ideal conditions suggests that there is a general deterioration in boat handling skills which I attribute to just this sugar coated "racing".

Don:

What is the answer?

The number of collisions that I saw or heard about last year when people had to deal with less than ideal conditions suggests that there is a general deterioration in boat handling skills which I attribute to just this sugar coated "racing".

Pains me to say it but I am with you on thos one Walrus although not necessarily in agreement that it is the currently preferrred racing format that causes the problem.

Boat handling skills, particularly close quarters skills, and old fashioned seamanship are largely untaught in modern day sail training courses.You can't operate a motor car without demonstrating your actual driving skills to obtain your licence but you can purchase a large yacht, satisfactorily complete your boating licence test on line with NIL requirement to demonstrate you can actually sail or handle your boat and then create carnage on the water with seeming impunity. A perfect example was the woeful boat handling skills exhibited by RYCV sailors earlier this year in causing serious damage to two stationary yachts(Sayonara and Airframe)moored immediately north of your Wednesday afternoon pursuit race start line? Its not like the line is crowded for that event and how hard can it be to miss a stationary yacht ferfucksakes??

Thank fuck the real Walrus is back. I was getting worried, and I admit, a little bored.

But dickhead (you Walrus), the discussion was simply about equal number of leward/windward legs, not about boat handling blah blah. And the equal number argument is based on the measurement ratings that are available to us, and how it may advantage certain designs.....why am i bothering. Not some abstract idea of seamanship.

It actually suits my boat, to have more upwind legs than downwind, based on the ratings we have to use, but i can see like anyone how it is stupid (unequal).

So, what racing are you doing this summer ?

Cloudy, as I said, you want equality of outcome. Boo Hoo! Cry me a river! The race is supposed to go to whoever deals with the conditions the best on the day, not the clown with the best rating.

I will still do ok.

Are there crew up there?

Oh Joy, Oh glee.

I think Wharro's free! :rolleyes:

I didn't know that they had finally locked him up!

These boats have a nasty tendency to bury the bow with little warning, which is what Ash has now found out about! tongue.gif

Noted... and like most things on this forum.... ignored. ph34r.gif

If enough people want this change they can tell me in person... you know where to find me.rolleyes.gif

I will still do ok.

Are there crew up there?

Oh Joy, Oh glee.

Well done Don; great result under the above circumstances. Just as well you got to race in Saturdays light stuff and not what was out there on Sunday :lol:

Noted... and like most things on this forum.... ignored. ph34r.gif

If enough people want this change they can tell me in person... you know where to find me.rolleyes.gif

Agreed, this will be ignored.

Will we will find you in the bar to discuss?

I will still do ok.

Are there crew up there?

Oh Joy, Oh glee.

Well done Don; great result under the above circumstances. Just as well you got to race in Saturdays light stuff and not what was out there on Sunday :lol:

Smooth Criminal - 1st AMS Div 1 (Don is a legend)

Wicked - 2nd - AMS Div 1

Dark Energy - 1st AMS Div 2

Alchemist - 2nd AMS Div 2

First hit out of AMS2 - whats the on water assessment?

I will still do ok.

Are there crew up there?

Oh Joy, Oh glee.

Smooth Criminal - 1st AMS Div 1 (Don is a legend)

Wicked - 2nd - AMS Div 1

Dark Energy - 1st AMS Div 2

Alchemist - 2nd AMS Div 2

First hit out of AMS2 - whats the on water assessment?

Light air long course race around fixed marks - lots of reaching. Inconclusive.

Agree. The race close up big time as we finished, due to the wind finally getting up to 6 to 7 knots. Also we were lucky as the second last leg was perfect for the Code 0, and we were able to pass XLR8, who had left theirs at home. Unfortunately they managed to pass us just before the line as we were over powered (in 7 knots of wind!!!) and could no longer get to target speeds. Damn their extra 10 feet LOA.

Thanks SC. Although big kudos must go to Jeff Dusting whom I dragged onboard that morning from the Ken King Centre. He didn't know me from a bar of soap, had never seen the boat before, yet did a great job steering and tailing while I was playing crewman. Great guy to sail short handed with, I told him just to sail her like a Tasar.

Agree. The race close up big time as we finished, due to the wind finally getting up to 6 to 7 knots. Also we were lucky as the second last leg was perfect for the Code 0, and we were able to pass XLR8, who had left theirs at home. Unfortunately they managed to pass us just before the line as we were over powered (in 7 knots of wind!!!) and could no longer get to target speeds. Damn their extra 10 feet LOA.

Thanks SC. Although big kudos must go to Jeff Dusting whom I dragged onboard that morning from the Ken King Centre. He didn't know me from a bar of soap, had never seen the boat before, yet did a great job steering and tailing while I was playing crewman. Great guy to sail short handed with, I told him just to sail her like a Tasar.

I thought pressganging had been outlawed years ago! Well done JD in stepping on Smoothie and going so well first up. Not sure that sailing her like a Tasar is the right call... looks a bit soggy to me.

post-449-022700500 1318304745_thumb.jpg

But if you want advice on that call over to the OTB section and see Paul & Bronwyn Ridgeway who just won the Tasar Worlds in Weymouth!

To expect Surprise to sail to a rating within 20 points of a Sydney 36 or beat Adams 10's with mathead spinnakers on scratch is absolutely ludicrous and there are years of race results to prove that. I have never really had much of a focus on AMS results as IRC windward/leeward racing is what Surprise was optimised for when I changed the rig to non-overlappers and a larger chute. If we sailied more fixed mark or passage races I am sure that different boats would be on the podium so I would suggest that owners support the November 12 Peter Taylor race as a worthwhile addition to their calendar.

To illustrate this point a Sydney 36 won the Boxing Day dash on AMS and also the ORCV race to Geelong. Why their AMS ratings need to be reduced another 25 points is a mystery. If you look back two years they used to rate AMS 0.945 so they have had a 50 to 60 point reduction in two seasons? Unfortunately for AMS2, the AMS committee can talk up the changes however they like but I have a complete lack of confidence in how the system is administered.

Judge (as a former owner) has plenty of history about the constant attacks on Surprise by the AMS committee which saw its AMS rating increased on a number of occasions. Perhaps he might like to give us a history lesson. The problem with AMS is that it is a local rule so the gene pool is pretty small when analysing race results.

It's a shame that AMS2 has said "don't bother coming" because Surprise is a great boat and we have had many great races in her. John Chatham and Llowa Paszko have had it in for the boat for years. The message here is if you buy a boat make sure that there are a few more of them racing as well so that if you do well you can point to the not so good ones as justification for not changing the rating.

As you all know, we have a new boat so I don't really give a rats what AMS2 does to Surprise. Her new rating is an insult to the performances that we have put in over the past four seasons and I have cancelled her AMS certificate and had her removed from the on-line list.

A new development, or a sale??

28008 R SURPRISE R25 BORRENSEN 10 Y 0.870 RYCV 2011-09-24 2011-10-11

Can any of you blokes tell me what the Hick 35 ex Midnight rambler and ex Chutzpah was called during it's stint in Melbourne?

It's back in Sydney now and re-named Midnight Rambler, causing a bit of confusion during last Friday nights race to Flinders, they were out for a "practice run" and radioing in with Sydney coastal patrol. We were doing the race on the same patch of water.....

We can't work out why they would re-name her back to Midnight Rambler, if they wanted the orginal name it was Chutzpah wasn't it??

For the record, the boat was sold with the name withheld, was in the contract, but it doesn't stand for the next on-sale.....

Bit sad... but whatever floats their boat.....

Don't get high and mighty there chief, wasn't the name originally appropriated from the Farr 40 IOR way back when

Can any of you blokes tell me what the Hick 35 ex Midnight rambler and ex Chutzpah was called during it's stint in Melbourne?

It's back in Sydney now and re-named Midnight Rambler, causing a bit of confusion during last Friday nights race to Flinders, they were out for a "practice run" and radioing in with Sydney coastal patrol. We were doing the race on the same patch of water.....

We can't work out why they would re-name her back to Midnight Rambler, if they wanted the orginal name it was Chutzpah wasn't it??

For the record, the boat was sold with the name withheld, was in the contract, but it doesn't stand for the next on-sale.....

If it's the one that came out of Westernport Marina, it was called, wait for it.... Midnight Rambler.

First of the season's CM Range races tomorrow so I would be interested to hear learned prognostications from local Anarchists. Our skipper and some crew are currently in shaky Bali for a wedding so Nutcracker won't be out there but we are all looking forward to the next one.

Who's hot and who's not?

Putting the "name withheld" aspect aside, i can understand they want to rename the boat because it is pretty famous under that name after winning the 1998 hobart?

That will fix it.

And there is currently only one Chutzpah? :lol:

You should get out more

Don't get high and mighty there chief, wasn't the name originally appropriated from the Farr 40 IOR way back when

And who named the boat that????

If it's the one that came out of Westernport Marina, it was called, wait for it.... Midnight Rambler.

Could that be the above mentioned IOR 40? The Hick was changed after sale, I saw it in Melbourne a while back and was named something else.

Putting the "name withheld" aspect aside, i can understand they want to rename the boat because it is pretty famous under that name after winning the 1998 hobart?

Yeah, as above.... a bit sad. Make their own history with the boat. Happy for you, but I can't understand why you would ever do it.

That will fix it.

And there is currently only one Chutzpah? :lol:

You should get out more

I wouldn't know how many Chutzpahs are still active, maybe there should be one more???

I get out plenty, thanks for your concern.

From Memory the IOR farr 40 was midnight rambler another concubine and midnight rambler II, it's now up in Harvey bay IIRC

First of the season's CM Range races tomorrow so I would be interested to hear learned prognostications from local Anarchists. Our skipper and some crew are currently in shaky Bali for a wedding so Nutcracker won't be out there but we are all looking forward to the next one.

Who's hot and who's not?

Bit of fun yesterday, plenty who weren't hot...........

how'd it happen walrus ?

From the sail-world web site photo at the bottom of the article below, it appears 30 plus knots with a mast head kite on the Adams 10 Executive Decision may have been a contributing factor leading to a wild broach.

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Club-Marine-Series-Round-1-on-Port-Phillip---Fresh-to-frightening/89634

Get well soon Blake!

Plenty more pictures & stories at www.orcv.org.au

Speedy recovery Blake.

Anyone know why Scarlet Runner slowed then retired from the Stanley race?

From the ORCV website;

"At 2310hrs, the first retiree came over the air. Scarlet Runner felt there would be insufficient room after the finish and so turned before having to take that extra challenge on"

Calm also didn't hang around, they headed back soon after finishing.

They pulled their main down when they got hit by a 35+kt rain squall and didnt think that it was safe to reach into Stanley with zero visibility onto a lee shore with very little runway after the finish line.

They pulled their main down when they got hit by a 35+kt rain squall and didnt think that it was safe to reach into Stanley with zero visibility onto a lee shore with very little runway after the finish line.

Thanks. Just wondering.

We made the same decision to retire being only 15nm from the nut, the visibility was close to zero with constant rain at night.

All the boats in the same area made the same decision based on the safety of the crew and boat for the sake of risking trying to finish

We had two reefs in the main only and hit 19 knots boat on return to Port Phillip with peaks of 40 knots wind speed.

PS - we heard on the radio another boat with its mainsail trashed asking the ORCV on the radio what direction they were sailing based on their tracker as they had lost their GPS and were a bit disorientated, boat called dark and stormey I think?

PS - we heard on the radio another boat with its mainsail trashed asking the ORCV on the radio what direction they were sailing based on their tracker as they had lost their GPS and were a bit disorientated, boat called dark and stormey I think?

YOU'VE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING!??

I mean, kudos to them for thinking of that, but NO-ONE thought to look at the COMPASS?

Fuck - and I thought ORCV was created to ensure top standards of seamanship offshore in Vic. :blink:

We made the same decision to retire being only 15nm from the nut, the visibility was close to zero with constant rain at night.

All the boats in the same area made the same decision based on the safety of the crew and boat for the sake of risking trying to finish

We had two reefs in the main only and hit 19 knots boat on return to Port Phillip with peaks of 40 knots wind speed.

Well done to boats and crew who did the race to Stanley .Will the ORCV review this race as a success or consider its race management liability requirements as boats retired due to the safety aspect of this destination.I understand that it is the boat who makes the decision to race or retire but it is an uncomfortable feeling knowing that your finishing line & port are unsafe in those conditions and if a safe haven was needed in an emergency. Was there a local weather forecast transmitted in relation to this 35knt+ Easterly or did our nav just simply miss it?

Well done to boats and crew who did the race to Stanley .Will the ORCV review this race as a success or consider its race management liability requirements as boats retired due to the safety aspect of this destination.I understand that it is the boat who makes the decision to race or retire but it is an uncomfortable feeling knowing that your finishing line & port are unsafe in those conditions and if a safe haven was needed in an emergency. Was there a local weather forecast transmitted in relation to this 35knt+ Easterly or did our nav just simply miss it?

The models on predictwind on Friday, showed 30+ SE in the vicinity, but the official forecasts seemed to ignore it

YOU'VE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING!??

I mean, kudos to them for thinking of that, but NO-ONE thought to look at the COMPASS?

Fuck - and I thought ORCV was created to ensure top standards of seamanship offshore in Vic. :blink:

Yeah, we were only talking the other day about how tough it must have been for Christopher Columbus, Ferdinand Magellan, Abel Tasman and Captain Cook when their GPS's went down and they were out of radio range :o

From the post upstream it would be resonable to conclude that the D & S guys weren't keeping a running plot on a paper chart as a back up or even writing down their Sched lat/longs with headings. There's a lesson there for lots of newbie offshore sailors.

Notice of Race for 2012 Geelong Series (Festival of Sails) now available from a new Web Site - www.festivalofsails.com.au.

First point of note - the huge increases in entry fees.... :o $720 for Premier Racing (up from $495 in 2011 (45%)) - oh and chuck in another $55 if you want AMS with that (not bad return for just clicking another button on Top Yacht :blink: ). Performance $480 (up from $395 - up 21%) - plus $55 for the extra scoring. Cruising $375 (up from $235 - up 60%).

This is sure to generate some discussion from owners, many of whom felt they were already being ripped off last year!:angry:

Will be interested to see how many non-Victorian entries are received given its no longer part of Australian IRC Championship.

Notice of Race for 2012 Geelong Series (Festival of Sails) now available from a new Web Site - www.festivalofsails.com.au.

First point of note - the huge increases in entry fees.... :o $720 for Premier Racing (up from $495 in 2011 (45%)) - oh and chuck in another $55 if you want AMS with that (not bad return for just clicking another button on Top Yacht :blink: ). Performance $480 (up from $395 - up 21%) - plus $55 for the extra scoring. Cruising $375 (up from $235 - up 60%).

This is sure to generate some discussion from owners, many of whom felt they were already being ripped off last year!:angry:

Will be interested to see how many non-Victorian entries are received given its no longer part of Australian IRC Championship.

No big name sponsor = Cost increase for entry and god knows what else. Entry list down 40% on 2010

In 2010 the cruising div entry was $175 - now $375.

I for one will be reconsidering my entry. :(

They have been quietly strangling what used to be a great event over the last few years and this latest price hike is a classic case of killing the golden goose. Word around already is many locals won't bother so you can probably quite reasonably extrapolate that fuck all interstaters will come either.

Could a rival event at the other end of the bay spring up? Hmmmm, whats that, I hear you say?

They have been quietly strangling what used to be a great event over the last few years and this latest price hike is a classic case of killing the golden goose. Word around already is many locals won't bother so you can probably quite reasonably extrapolate that fuck all interstaters will come either.

Could a rival event at the other end of the bay spring up? Hmmmm, whats that, I hear you say?

Did I hear someone say Petersville Regatta?

Mex

Festival of "lets screw the sailors"

Unfortunately, you cannot enter "just" the first 6 w/l races in Port Phillip.

Mob of blatant money grabbing arseholes.

Smooth Criminal will unfortunately NOT be competing.

It has just been pointed out to me by my skipper that the $720 entry fee to race in IRC at Geelong is more than the entry fee for the Sydney-Hobart! Geelong is officially off our 2012 program.

How do these compare with the entry fees for Hamilton Island?

Hammo is a sliding scale depending on size of boat as per below:

Slight difference in the "quality" of the environment and experience though!!

Boats up to 8.0m LOA AU$250

8.0m - 12.0m LOA AU$665

12.0m - 14.0m LOA AU$770

14.0m-16.0m LOA AU$875

16.0m-18.0m LOA AU$980

18.0m - 24.5m LOA AU$1,230

Over 24.5m LOA AU$2,500

It seems a few people are coming to the same conclusion I did - that Geelong week in it's present form isn't worth the effort.

It's expensive, in a weak moment last week I looked at entering, paying the late entry fee, just to do the passage race.

The corporate bullshit did a lot to destroy what's left of the "family" (for want of a better word - you know what I mean) atmosphere that used to exist.

The event eligibility rules were patently rigged to produce desired outcomes, that has been going on for a few years.

The replacement of the old Lions club catering by commercial operators and a dearth of real choices is not overwhelming. I know Geelong needs to money, but...

Then there is the finance issue. I was always, and continue to be, concerned about relying on sponsorship money for anything. It can dry up very fast, as it will no doubt do now for almost all forms of sailing. The real danger is that a club may build up excessive fixed cost structures (ie: employees) based on the expectation of sponsorship money.

I also understand (and may be wrong) that the event has been perverted into a Docklands promotion and that money was provided by the Government for this via an arms length arrangement so that they were not seen as providing money to yacht clubs. While I like the Docklands facilities, I am no longer a fan of their restaurants, which are average and getting expensive.

Hmmmm

8.0m - 12.0m LOA AU$665

12.0m - 14.0m LOA AU$770

14.0m-16.0m LOA AU$875

16.0m-18.0m LOA AU$980

Over 24.5m LOA AU$2,500

So for us in a 40' Bene, Geelong entry is about the same as Hammo..... ouch!.... Particularly when scheduling both within a year!

8.0m - 12.0m LOA AU$665

12.0m - 14.0m LOA AU$770

14.0m-16.0m LOA AU$875

16.0m-18.0m LOA AU$980

Over 24.5m LOA AU$2,500

Last time I was at Hammo, boats were not being rafted up 6 to 7 deep on temporary floating barges, and they gave me a six pack of beer on arrival.

Last time SC competed at Geelong we moored her on a swing mooring so as not to get the usual boat crunching damage. This meant having to call up and wait for the "taxi" RIBs.

All the 50 footers did not even moor at the Geelong club facilities, but rather at the temporary marina arms set up at the pier, again to avoid the usual annual Geelong damage bill.

It seems a few people are coming to the same conclusion I did - that Geelong week in it's present form isn't worth the effort.

It's expensive, in a weak moment last week I looked at entering, paying the late entry fee, just to do the passage race.

The corporate bullshit did a lot to destroy what's left of the "family" (for want of a better word - you know what I mean) atmosphere that used to exist.

The event eligibility rules were patently rigged to produce desired outcomes, that has been going on for a few years.

The replacement of the old Lions club catering by commercial operators and a dearth of real choices is not overwhelming. I know Geelong needs to money, but...

Then there is the finance issue. I was always, and continue to be, concerned about relying on sponsorship money for anything. It can dry up very fast, as it will no doubt do now for almost all forms of sailing. The real danger is that a club may build up excessive fixed cost structures (ie: employees) based on the expectation of sponsorship money.

I also understand (and may be wrong) that the event has been perverted into a Docklands promotion and that money was provided by the Government for this via an arms length arrangement so that they were not seen as providing money to yacht clubs. While I like the Docklands facilities, I am no longer a fan of their restaurants, which are average and getting expensive.

Hmmmm

Not to mention the price gouging for accommodation in Geelong for this event. Minimum night stays exceed the duration of the regatta in most cases and the standard of accomm available is pretty bloody ordinary unless you want to join the well-to-do and stay at the Sheraton. On a positive note; watching the local sheilas get shitfaced at Lambies is about the best entertainment in Geelong!

Hmmmm,

Port Lincoln looks nice.

Sorry Don, but i wont be joining you for the delivery

Hmmmm,

Port Lincoln looks nice.

Sorry Don, but i wont be joining you for the delivery

Adelaide and back, tucked up in her cradle on a 12 wheel flat bed. Adelaide to Port Lincoln in the race and a relaxing sail back to Adelaide post regatta.

Smooth Criminal couldn't enter "just the first six w/l races in Port Philip" anyway as they are limited to boats with an IRC rating. Read the NoR re Premier Racing eligibility.

Smooth Criminal couldn't enter "just the first six w/l races in Port Philip" anyway as they are limited to boats with an IRC rating. Read the NoR re Premier Racing eligibility.

I know. That was my point!

Why limit to IRC? This is not part 1 of the Audi challenge anymore.

I would have entered the "Premier Racing" if those two days were a separate entry fee, and AMS was included.

Why purposefully limit the racing fleet? makes no sense to me.

I would have entered the "Premier Racing" if those two days were a separate entry fee, and AMS was included.

It is limited to those boats that are doing the whole series, therefore there not a Port Philip only entry. I guess you would like the organisers to have a separate Port Philip series and then a Geelong series. If that was the case, would it not be just another Port Philip series like the Range series and boats would not then go to Geelong.

It is limited to those boats that are doing the whole series, therefore there not a Port Philip only entry. I guess you would like the organisers to have a separate Port Philip series and then a Geelong series. If that was the case, would it not be just another Port Philip series like the Range series and boats would not then go to Geelong.

I know. That was my point AGAIN!

How may times do I need to say this?

Geelong USED to be a great series, now its just a reason to charge sailors exhorbitant prices for race entries, accommodation, food, drinks etc, etc, etc.

Prove me wrong!

Prove me wrong!

Just making observations is all. How many boat would do a "Port Philip only" entry do you thing?

Prove me wrong!

Just making observations is all. How many boat would do a "Port Philip only" entry do you thing?

I don't see how not allowing a particular rating system has anything to do with whether a boat chooses to only race the port phillip races.

And the entry fees, quite un-fucking believable. Anyone here from RGYC care to weigh in ?

Prove me wrong!

I don't see how not allowing a particular rating system has anything to do with whether a boat chooses to only race the port phillip races.

And the entry fees, quite un-fucking believable. Anyone here from RGYC care to weigh in ?

Its the event organizers in conjunction with RGYC that set the rates.The event organizer tendered to run this event within a budjet that had inflated the running costs over the recent years due to Skandia/Audi. No big name sponsor hike the rates.Doug Jarvis saw the impending demize and split.RGYC your quest for greed has finally dawned. You have finally fucked up a previously good week. I hate to say it but agree with Walrus.FFS

I saw the notice, and sent an email, telling them the cost was shit. That they were gouging, and that with no sponsor, passing the inflated cost onto the competitors was crap.

I recieved a page of details justifying the cost, claims like retaining the prices at the previous years levels, and matching local pub prices for beer. Then told that the recue boats from other clubs are chartered, and that the international jury and PRO and costs mean they will be in the hole plenty.

CRAP

Take away the bullshit marquee and 'stores' that no one uses, get the lions club back for food, dont worry about putting bands on all day when the sailers arent there, make it something people want to do and enjoy, and they might keep people. Above all, ask the owners and competitiors what they want.

I can say we are going back to Lincoln next year where they do know how to run a fun and competitive regatta, cut the crap, and just give good sailing, good value and what everyone wants.

Sorry to be proved right.

This reminds me a psychological state called "Learned Helplessness" which is infesting our club as well as obviously RGYC and maybe others.

Learned helplessness, as a technical term in animal psychology and related human psychology, means a condition of a human person or an animal in which it has learned to behave helplessly, even when the opportunity is restored for it to help itself by avoiding an unpleasant or harmful circumstance to which it has been subjected

It presents, in a Yacht club environment as an inability to see, understand and act on the bleedin' fucking obvious, especially to ACT!

It was fucking blindingly obvious even to a brain dead moron like me that Geelong was building itself a massive fixed cost base when it went "Corporate" and especially when it booted out long term cost free volunteer labor (like the Lions Club caterers) and replaced it with commercial suppliers. It then saddled itself with all the costs associated with "entertaining" the corporate clients and their hangers on, most of whom couldn't give a fuck about the sport.

Now of course once the volunteers have been replaced by paid contractors they can't come back, I mean you need a food handlers course to make a fucking sandwich these days! I have to have a fucking firearms licence to be in possession of a starting gun! It all has to be done by professionals these days - learned helplessness.

Here is my advice to RGYC. Tell the members to take their fucking club back and start doing their organising themselves. Get the Lions back. Run the series as a long weekend and to hell with Australia day. Run your courses around fixed marks and don't move them and fuck off these upwind/downwind farces, that reduces your committee boat costs and the inevitable prangs at the end of the reaching leg will make the front page of Australian sailing again. Bring back beer tickets. Try to encourage the old family atmosphere that existed years ago.

Of course if you want to play the "premier Grand Prix" game it serves you fucking right if nobody comes.

And another example of learned helplessness; certain old bastards have been pleading with a certain club to install security cameras for Five fucking years, even to the point of offering to buy a system from Middys for the club and install it ourselves, but oh no! We aren't professional camera installers and there are always more pressing things to do. There was another theft on the weekend, at least Two earlier this year. How long before somebody accidentally surprises one of these bastards at work and ends up getting knifed?

Since we're discussing entry fees! Below is an excerpt of the Port Lincoln based 2012 LEXUS Lincoln Week Regatta NOR

Entry fees are as follows:

$100 for the LEXUS Lincoln Week Regatta and Sydney 38 State Championships. The entry fee is for the division that you nominate and if you wish to nominate for extra divisions, the fee will be $75 per division.

Any entries received after Wednesday, 8th February, 2012 will attract a late entry fee of $50. No entries or safety certificates will be accepted after 1200 hours on Monday, 13th February, 2012. These prices are inclusive of GST

I absolutely agree with huwp, and based on many years sailing keelboats, Sharpies and 14ft skiffs there, I believe Port Lincoln to be the best sailing harbour in Australia bar none.

Agree with Huwp, Breeze, Don etc.

The only way to change it though is for us, the owners/competitors to make some noise. Sure they may choose to ignore us this year, but we need to tell em, and perhaps vote with our feet (keels) - ie. don't enter.

So, all Vic sailors, if you give a shit, send em an email & tell em how you feel. <_<

jav@newtack.com.au

mark@newtack.com.au

bianca@newtack.com.au

info@rgyc.com.au

This reminds me a psychological state called "Learned Helplessness" which is infesting our club as well as obviously RGYC and maybe others.

Learned helplessness, as a technical term in animal psychology and related human psychology, means a condition of a human person or an animal in which it has learned to behave helplessly, even when the opportunity is restored for it to help itself by avoiding an unpleasant or harmful circumstance to which it has been subjected

It presents, in a Yacht club environment as an inability to see, understand and act on the bleedin' fucking obvious, especially to ACT!

It was fucking blindingly obvious even to a brain dead moron like me that Geelong was building itself a massive fixed cost base when it went "Corporate" and especially when it booted out long term cost free volunteer labor (like the Lions Club caterers) and replaced it with commercial suppliers. It then saddled itself with all the costs associated with "entertaining" the corporate clients and their hangers on, most of whom couldn't give a fuck about the sport.

Now of course once the volunteers have been replaced by paid contractors they can't come back, I mean you need a food handlers course to make a fucking sandwich these days! I have to have a fucking firearms licence to be in possession of a starting gun! It all has to be done by professionals these days - learned helplessness.

Here is my advice to RGYC. Tell the members to take their fucking club back and start doing their organising themselves. Get the Lions back. Run the series as a long weekend and to hell with Australia day. Run your courses around fixed marks and don't move them and fuck off these upwind/downwind farces, that reduces your committee boat costs and the inevitable prangs at the end of the reaching leg will make the front page of Australian sailing again. Bring back beer tickets. Try to encourage the old family atmosphere that existed years ago.

Of course if you want to play the "premier Grand Prix" game it serves you fucking right if nobody comes.

And another example of learned helplessness; certain old bastards have been pleading with a certain club to install security cameras for Five fucking years, even to the point of offering to buy a system from Middys for the club and install it ourselves, but oh no! We aren't professional camera installers and there are always more pressing things to do. There was another theft on the weekend, at least Two earlier this year. How long before somebody accidentally surprises one of these bastards at work and ends up getting knifed?

We have had our differences Walrus but I completely agree with all you have said here; both re the impending Geelong debacle and the widespread yacht club management culture of negativity that is far too fond of saying no for expediancy and arse covering purposes rather than finding a practical and workable solution. It has become endemic throughout yachting in this state to my certain knowledge and no doubt it has spread its destructive tentacles to other states as well.

Maybe we need to establish "Occupy Yacht Clubs" and take them all back for the sailors?

We have had our differences Walrus but I completely agree with all you have said here; both re the impending Geelong debacle and the widespread yacht club management culture of negativity that is far too fond of saying no for expediancy and arse covering purposes rather than finding a practical and workable solution. It has become endemic throughout yachting in this state to my certain knowledge and no doubt it has spread its destructive tentacles to other states as well.

Maybe we need to establish "Occupy Yacht Clubs" and take them all back for the sailors?

Makes the Lipton Cup Regatta in a couple of weeks good value at under $100.

I am giving very serious thought to not doing Geelong, the only way they will learn is if we do not go.

Can someone please find another sponsor.........PLEASE.

I can't take anymore of this talk about Walrus making sense and everyone agreeing with him. What's the world coming to ? :P

Agree with Huwp, Breeze, Don etc.

The only way to change it though is for us, the owners/competitors to make some noise. Sure they may choose to ignore us this year, but we need to tell em, and perhaps vote with our feet (keels) - ie. don't enter.

So, all Vic sailors, if you give a shit, send em an email & tell em how you feel. <_<

jav@newtack.com.au

mark@newtack.com.au

bianca@newtack.com.au

info@rgyc.com.au

I'm not sure you're going to get too far by emailing the event organisers at Newtack. They're simply be paid to deliver a product. They don't decide what the product is. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think the RGYC are the decision makers regarding the nature of the regatta.

Mex

You might be right. Those links were just taken from the Contact Us page at the festivalofsails website.

I agree totally Geelong is on the way out MONEY MONEY MONEY. NOT NO MORE!

Bring back the bar tickets (I Still have some) and the Lions club and mate ship,

not some wanker rich arse sponsor for 3 yachts or so.

Jesus i agree with that fat smelly walrus and co.

How many sailors new the geelong of old ?

FUN, FROLICKING AND FRIENDSHIP (Opps wheres the borroca)

Millski :D