dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

Two new (2011) TP52s heading to SYC?

For whom ? Cougar 3 ?

Heard a while back its the 2011 Container for Slotty

Not up to speed on the other, have been in Tahiti for a week and sfa Melb Big Boat gossip there B)

Cougs 3 makes some sort of sense - not aware of any new players at that end of the game in this town.

But what would I know?

Container confirmed for Slotty

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/TP52-'Container-is-heading-to-Melbourne,-Australia/96242

Whew! I'm glad that all got straightened out. Thanks for keeping us informed...

Any of you guys that know Ted, the sailmaker (and quite a few will) please say a prayer for him. He's in hospital. Will know more soon.

Hi JS

Give Ted my regards & best wishes.

Grogo

Any of you guys that know Ted, the sailmaker (and quite a few will) please say a prayer for him. He's in hospital. Will know more soon.

Hi JS

Give Ted my regards & best wishes.

Grogo

I'm not in touch. Hearing a bit from mates at the Rock. Not good. Brain tumor.

I will pass on your best wishes thru mates.

Two new (2011) TP52s heading to SYC?

For whom ? Cougar 3 ?

Heard a while back its the 2011 Container for Slotty

Not up to speed on the other, have been in Tahiti for a week and sfa Melb Big Boat gossip there B)

Cougs 3 makes some sort of sense - not aware of any new players at that end of the game in this town.

But what would I know?

Container confirmed for Slotty

http://www.sail-worl...Australia/96242

So who's the other one for and did I read somewhere it was Bribon ?

Dates are up on the ORCV website for Australias best winter racing series. Forget that ridiculous, wimpy Sydney Harbour CYCA picnic sailing and endless annual arguments about the manipulation of handicaps for a series that has nil credibility, the ORCV conducts real races on established and fixed handicaps in the depths of winter on the best sailng pond in the Southern hemisphere. They have run it expertly for 40 years now and it provides arguably the best and most competitive sailing of the year. Sure, CM Range has more boats but the ORCV Winter Series sorts the men from the boys (& yes, the women from the girls too!)with often rugged conditions. First race is on July 1 and is preceded by the annual expired date flare shoot where valuable lessons are learned about how to operate that vital safety equipment before you actually need to do it.

Can't wait.

Dates are up on the ORCV website for Australias best winter racing series. Forget that ridiculous, wimpy Sydney Harbour CYCA picnic sailing and endless annual arguments about the manipulation of handicaps for a series that has nil credibility, the ORCV conducts real races on established and fixed handicaps in the depths of winter on the best sailng pond in the Southern hemisphere. They have run it expertly for 40 years now and it provides arguably the best and most competitive sailing of the year. Sure, CM Range has more boats but the ORCV Winter Series sorts the men from the boys (& yes, the women from the girls too!)with often rugged conditions. First race is on July 1 and is preceded by the annual expired date flare shoot where valuable lessons are learned about how to operate that vital safety equipment before you actually need to do it.

Can't wait.

Flatbag as you know you are to let of Flares that are about to expire as it is an offence to let off expired flares, and an offence to have expired flares on your boat, so any flares used were about to expire officer.

Good to hear from the foreigners. Great thread. Really interesting.

Go away!

Can't wait.

Flatbag as you know you are to let of Flares that are about to expire as it is an offence to let off expired flares, and an offence to have expired flares on your boat, so any flares used were about to expire officer.

Is it just me or was that a little confusing ?

Can't wait.

Press release ?

Can't wait.

What a crock of shit! I would venture to say that a lot of boats on this pond have a kit of expired flares on them. I have been checked by the Water Wallopers and shown them expired flares as well as an in-date kit. Their comment to me was if you need them, you won't give a flying fuck about the date stamp!

Can't wait.

What a crock of shit! I would venture to say that a lot of boats on this pond have a kit of expired flares on them. I have been checked by the Water Wallopers and shown them expired flares as well as an in-date kit. Their comment to me was if you need them, you won't give a flying fuck about the date stamp!

You can call it what you like, it is an offence under the commonwealth navigation act 2000 to use expired flares. You will also find some insurance companies will void your insurance. I do not care what you do or what a copper says, cop the wrong copper and you will be in strife. Just to let everyone know the legalities.

Can't wait.

You can call it what you like, it is an offence under the commonwealth navigation act 2000 to use expired flares. You will also find some insurance companies will void your insurance. I do not care what you do or what a copper says, cop the wrong copper and you will be in strife. Just to let everyone know the legalities.

yacht - are you able to cite the offence provision?

BTW - the correct citation for the Act would be the Commonwealth Navigation Act 1912. To incorrectly cite the Act makes me think you are probably wrong also about the offence, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Can't wait.

BTW - the correct citation for the Act would be the Commonwealth Navigation Act 1912. To incorrectly cite the Act makes me think you are probably wrong also about the offence, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Yes was told several times by the people at Pains Wessex , now chemring, and during several SSSC. Could well be the Com Nav act 1912.I did not look it up.

I am not saying do not let off expired flares,well yes I am, but do not advertise that you are going to do so.

Yes was told several times by the people at Pains Wessex , now chemring, and during several SSSC. Could well be the Com Nav act 1912.I did not look it up.

I am not saying do not let off expired flares,well yes I am, but do not advertise that you are going to do so.

The fact that this flare let off has been run probably since before I was born and is run with the full permission of the coast guard who impose a small window in which they can be let off suggests to me that it is allowed. Could be wrong though.

Not flaming you yacht, but this is what you said.

Just to let everyone know the legalities.

But you have only produced hearsay to back up your statement. That's not addressing "legalities". I checked the Act and the Regulations and couldn't find anything. I'm also fairly sure the Navigation Act 1912 doesn't apply to recreational vessels.

Think about it for a second. If an expired flare is used as a distress signal, the only way anyone will know it was used is it it was sighted. Therefore it achieved it's purpose. Even the Commonwealth isn't stupid enough to say "you should have died instead of using that flare". And, if the flare has been used, it is consumed so there is no way of telling whether it was in date or expired. So it is not possible to prove the offence of using an expired flare. Law drafters aren't in the habit of creating prosecutable offences which cannot be proved, so my guess is that the information you have been given is false.

As I understand it, the problem with expired flares is that they become unstable. That will probably take a lot longer than the day after the expiry date. The point is that if you are in sufficient trouble to be letting off a flare, and the out of date unstable flare explodes and takes your arm off, you are now in a whole new world of trouble.

The lesson therefore is not to "not carry out of date flares", but to ensure you let off "in date" flares first, and only use out of date ones if you have run out of in date ones.

The flare that exploded, burning it's way through the RYA instructor's body, was an in-date flare.

When a flare is expired it is no longer a flare. It is an explosive! Are you allowed to posess explosives without a licence?

JS, Flares are always explosives. At this point explosives are covered by state and Territory Dangerous Goods legislation, so it will probably be different from place to place until nationally consistent legislation is introduced. Certainly in the NT a distress signmal does not cease to be a distress signal when it's use-by date expires, so the exemptions for possessing them do not cease.

When a flare is expired it is no longer a flare. It is an explosive! Are you allowed to posess explosives without a licence?

JS, Flares are always explosives. At this point explosives are covered by state and Territory Dangerous Goods legislation, so it will probably be different from place to place until nationally consistent legislation is introduced. Certainly in the NT a distress signmal does not cease to be a distress signal when it's use-by date expires, so the exemptions for possessing them do not cease.

I know it's a crazy sitiation. An in date flare is legal. Try & carry it on a plane & see what happens - then it's an explosive.

An out of date flare is classed as an explosive, and unless you have a licence to handle explosives - well - take your chances with the law.

Shipboard Saftey courses and the like are not allowed to use out of date flares. Simply because they are considered explosives. I don't know if there is a law that says "Thou shalt not use out of date flares" But there are laws about posessing explosives. Think fireworks.

I know it's a crazy sitiation. An in date flare is legal. Try & carry it on a plane & see what happens - then it's an explosive.

An out of date flare is classed as an explosive, and unless you have a licence to handle explosives - well - take your chances with the law.

Shipboard Saftey courses and the like are not allowed to use out of date flares. Simply because they are considered explosives. I don't know if there is a law that says "Thou shalt not use out of date flares" But there are laws about possing explosives. Think fireworks.

Yeah, I'm doing a bit of work on fireworks at the moment, which is why I know about the Dangerous Goods stuff. Basically (here, anyway), you can't possess explosives without a licence, handle explosives without a licence, store explosives without a licence, or sell explosives to a person who doesn't have a licence to possess explosives. But distress signals are exempted, so a retailer can sell them to a person who doesn't have a licence to possess explosives, and a person can possess and handle distress signals without a licence. As I said, distress signals (under our legislation) don't lose their character when an expiry date is reached, so there is no issue in the NT about possessing (or using) out-of-date flares.

The situation could well be different in other jurisdictions - sorry I don't know about Vic.

We used to hand our out-of-date flares to the police for disposal, but they stopped accepting them because they had no system for dealing with them. Their suggestion was to use out-of-date flares for exactly the sort of training event that started this discussion.

We don't play much soccer here ...dry.gif

Shipboard Saftey courses and the like are not allowed to use out of date flares. Simply because they are considered explosives. I don't know if there is a law that says "Thou shalt not use out of date flares" But there are laws about posessing explosives. Think fireworks.

FFS Peoples, ORCV has approval for their once a year flare shoot day immediately before the start of the first race of their winter series. It has been going on for many, many years now. Try and persuade a PBO that you are going to let off his still in date flares as opposed to using his recently expired ones and let me know his response. It isn't done to flout the law; it is done so people actually learn how to fire flares on the deck of a boat at sea. Doing that has probably saved lives. You can get as pedantic as you like about the niceties of the law on here but it won't change the fact that many, if not most of the flares used on the day will be recently out of date ones. Maybe you should notify the Water Police so they can come out and book us all? Fucking pedantic wankers, the lot of you!

About 7-8 years aga, before the Dent to Dunk, we had a day where people could see flares, fire extinguishers etc in use. Gave the boat owners a way to get rid of out of date flares. Did it officially thru MSQ. They had to be there along with police, fire brigade, ambulance etc. Went well & was educational for all incl authorities.

By the next year we weren't allowed to use out of date flares because we "were breaking the law by having them" (in QLD). It all got too hard so it never happened again. Everyone's loss.

FFS Peoples, ORCV has approval for their once a year flare shoot day immediately before the start of the first race of their winter series. It has been going on for many, many years now. Try and persuade a PBO that you are going to let off his still in date flares as opposed to using his recently expired ones and let me know his response. It isn't done to flout the law; it is done so people actually learn how to fire flares on the deck of a boat at sea. Doing that has probably saved lives. You can get as pedantic as you like about the niceties of the law on here but it won't change the fact that many, if not most of the flares used on the day will be recently out of date ones. Maybe you should notify the Water Police so they can come out and book us all? Fucking pedantic wankers, the lot of you!

The law is the law you fucking moron. Flaunt it at your own risk!

The law is the law you fucking moron. Flaunt it at your own risk!

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life John but in your case I guess we'll have to make an exception.

Do you seriously think the Water Police don't know what happens at the annual ORCV Flare shoot? It must have been going on for at least 20 years and no one has ever been booked for possessing or shooting off old flares at that event. The WP actually encourage it!

You are such a pompous cunt Simon. The WP turn a blind eye to it because amongst the Victorian WP there is UNcommon sense. Great while it lasts.

There is NO WAY you would be able to do that in QLD. I know that FIRST HAND you fuckwit.

Apollo Bay sprint this weekend...

Weather looks to be suiting the Farr 40, PC..

No div 0 out for a run, so it may be a battle of the Bene's..

Cos.

Flatbag = Simon ?????????????????

Ooooh this is going to be so much fun.

Apollo Bay sprint this weekend...

Weather looks to be suiting the Farr 40, PC..

No div 0 out for a run, so it may be a battle of the Bene's..

Cos.

On the nose and fading - should suit the faster boats.

yea, he outed himself in a couple of other threads

yea, he outed himself in a couple of other threads

What Simon is this... I'm trying to work it out... It's too bloody early for this.

You are such a pompous cunt Simon. The WP turn a blind eye to it because amongst the Victorian WP there is UNcommon sense. Great while it lasts.

There is NO WAY you would be able to do that in QLD. I know that FIRST HAND you fuckwit.

Ahem, we are actually not in Queensland in case that geographical fact escapes you. Queensland is where all the has been / never was Victorians go to hide from the failings of their past.

Spoke to a WP officer this morning. As far as they are concerned, as long as they know it's happening, it will continue to be allowed in Victoria.

Rules of the Internet

#1 You can be whoever you want to be.

Ahem, we are actually not in Queensland in case that geographical fact escapes you. Queensland is where all the has been / never was Victorians go to hide from the failings of their past.

Spoke to a WP officer this morning. As far as they are concerned, as long as they know it's happening, it will continue to be allowed in Victoria.

Thanks for sharing that....

Well done to Anarchist Dark Cloud for a good run to Apalling Bay on the weekend. Didn't go my self; had to go to a 21st with a celeb sailor in attendance :o .

Thanks. The on the nose conditions suited us - except 2.5 miles from the finish, when the wind crapped out and had us doing 2 to 3 knots.

Well done also to the DK.

:rolleyes:

Well done DC,

Wanted to stop & hav a beer with u guys,

But the DK had to do a u-turn..

Don't suppose your still celebrating??

Cos.

Well done DC,

Wanted to stop & hav a beer with u guys,

But the DK had to do a u-turn..

Don't suppose your still celebrating??

Cos.

Hey Cos, we could've thrown you a spare slab as you went past. The pub & the rest was fine. :D

Well said, Lesnorton. Excellent contribution.

Mex

So, what's going on here then?

post-13013-020737100 1337840455_thumb.jpg

somethin about removing the old canting keel assembly and rebuilding the floor

Is the name on the tent photo shop? Either way, very amusing.

Uncle Nick is exerting a bit more pain on the old girl. Not a lot of pleasure involved. Taking what's left of the structure out of the middle that was there for the canting keel mechanism. A small weight loss and a small gain of some internal space.

Mex

Well said, Lesnorton. Excellent contribution.

Mex

Just lost for words Mex.

Les.

Making more sense than JS at least.

Carry on,

Mex

Don't you foreigners have anything better to do than post your gibberish on a US sailing site?

Go away, form your own site - if you know how. Which I doubt.

Bribon not headed for VIC. Will be landing in Brisbane soon, will be at Hammo named after a certain backwards city.

Where is Bribon going?

WTF?

http://www.rbyc.yachting.org.au/default.asp?Page=35861&MenuID=Sailing/c10033/2939

Any new girls out there doing the AWKR this weekend?

Not sure why thwe AWKR is still allowed to exist in these days of "Political Correctness". Last time I looked, sailing was an open sport for all who wish and have the wherewithall to participate. There are a lot of bloody good women sailors I know who consider AWKR to be an artificial sailing environment in which they refuse to participate.The sport has moved on a long way from the days of the token 'Ladies Race' (Except for the CYCA but then... that's just them...)

To put the boot on the other foot,I wonder what would happen if they established a regatta that was exclusively for men and excluded all women from taking part in it? Can you imagine the uproar?

http://www.rbyc.yachting.org.au/default.asp?Page=35861&MenuID=Sailing/c10033/2939

Not sure why thwe AWKR is still allowed to exist in these days of "Political Correctness". Last time I looked, sailing was an open sport for all who wish and have the wherewithall to participate. There are a lot of bloody good women sailors I know who consider AWKR to be an artificial sailing environment in which they refuse to participate.The sport has moved on a long way from the days of the token 'Ladies Race' (Except for the CYCA but then... that's just them...)

To put the boot on the other foot,I wonder what would happen if they established a regatta that was exclusively for men and excluded all women from taking part in it? Can you imagine the uproar?

Hmmmm

post-20451-053833000 1338855198_thumb.jpg

http://www.rbyc.yach...ing/c10033/2939

i understand your philosophy and logic, but thats not the way the anti-discrimination laws (to the best of my understanding, but i'm sure someone can confirm this) or reality works. in my opinion women were marginalised in yacht clubs for a long long time and it will take an equally long time for us to change that. until that time, i can only ask that you continue be accommodating and make special provisions for those who need to help getting in. even if that means making choices in women's favour. you boys are well and truly capable of looking after yourselves.

sportscar, you are just a naughty boy. always have been.

Guilty as charged S H. :P

I have to admit I have a bit of skin in this game as I had a bit to do with getting the the first AWKR up and running with Gai Clough. I can see Flatties point to some extent but personally, I hope the regatta keeps going as it provides women with an introduction to regatta sailing in a sort of 'comfort zone'. Hopefully, from that introduction, they can move forward to take part in the wider, mixed sailing environment where I believe they are more than welcome these days. Personally I can't recall racing on any yacht without some female crew in the last 30 years and that includes the testosterone-charged days of the Big Red Car.

I won't be around to watch AWKR this year as we are taking kids to Hobart to train for the forthcoming Cadet Nationals & Worlds. You may be interested to know that the male/female ratio in the International Cadet Class is about 50/50 across skippers and crews so the future for womens sailing looks pretty good from that class and no doubt many others.

Bribon not headed for VIC. Will be landing in Brisbane soon, will be at Hammo named after a certain backwards city.

Yendys? The most backward city I can think of.

Where is Bribon now?

WTF?

Where is Bribon now?

WTF?

Not in the USA so why would you give a f*ck?

Thanks for the bump in the thread though, forgot about this one, good work keeping it up the top of the pile.

Where is Bribon now?

WTF?

In some foreign country where its always been fuckwit. Like you care or we care about you. :lol:

Edialeda?

Edialeda?

I like it, but it will be Yendy's for Hammo and maybe Airlie. Just a charter. Boat is owned by Karl Kwok. Not sure if it will stay in OZ though.

Think Karl may be needing it himself due to the Beau Geste's current condition

Nah, wouldn't want a TP52 out there where he is right now. Besides, he has plenty of other boats to choose from.

Well lots of girl sailors I know still don't get the opportunity to contribute to the extent they would like to when racing in 'normal' races. That is, when they do the AWKR there is no loud bloke telling them what to do. My wife sails in the AWKR. She's normally a foredecky and in this race is also a foredecky, but she gets more out of this weekend than any other in the year.

Also, last time I checked, the Olympic classes are still segregated according whether you have a meat and two veg between your legs.

Well lots of girl sailors I know still don't get the opportunity to contribute to the extent they would like to when racing in 'normal' races. That is, when they do the AWKR there is no loud bloke telling them what to do. My wife sails in the AWKR. She's normally a foredecky and in this race is also a foredecky, but she gets more out of this weekend than any other in the year.

Also, last time I checked, the Olympic classes are still segregated according whether you have a meat and two veg between your legs.

Olympic sailing is miniscule in the scheme of things and is hardly representative of the sport as a whole, despite the totally unrealistic Olympic pathway ideal rammed down our throats by YA.

There are a hell of a lot more mixed gender classes in sailing than single sex classes. The sort of keel boat sailing we have here in Melbourne has always been mixed. I admit that there was an unspoken misogynistic attitude in sailing in years gone by but thats a long time ago now and women wanting to actively sail are asserting themselves more and finding meaningful roles on boats if they are good enough. Increasingly more women are buying their own boats and calling the shots themselves. And thats how it should be.

If sailors, male or female, find themselves on a boat with "a loud bloke telling them what to do" or not finding themselves with a meaningful role on the boat after a while,then they probably should find another boat to sail on. Happens all the time. Its not as if there's a surplus of willing, committed crew out there at the moment.

Olympic sailing is miniscule in the scheme of things and is hardly representative of the sport as a whole, despite the totally unrealistic Olympic pathway ideal rammed down our throats by YA.

There are a hell of a lot more mixed gender classes in sailing than single sex classes. The sort of keel boat sailing we have here in Melbourne has always been mixed. I admit that there was an unspoken misogynistic attitude in sailing in years gone by but thats a long time ago now and women wanting to actively sail are asserting themselves more and finding meaningful roles on boats if they are good enough. Increasingly more women are buying their own boats and calling the shots themselves. And thats how it should be.

If sailors, male or female, find themselves on a boat with "a loud bloke telling them what to do" or not finding themselves with a meaningful role on the boat after a while,then they probably should find another boat to sail on. Happens all the time. Its not as if there's a surplus of willing, committed crew out there at the moment.

Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks for sharing that.

DoRag revealed!

post-13013-047247700 1338944833_thumb.jpg

.... There are a hell of a lot more mixed gender classes in sailing than single sex classes....

.... I admit that there was an unspoken misogynistic attitude in sailing in years gone by but thats a long time ago now....

Handbag, I think you are right on the first point, though I couldn't verify it with statistics. And the next I agree it was only common in the past, but it can take generations to effect cultural change.

Its why I find Sailor 'Chick' of the Week so condescending and patronising. Sailor Dick of the Week would be far more appropriate - you could find one Dickhead a day here.

.... There are a hell of a lot more mixed gender classes in sailing than single sex classes....

.... I admit that there was an unspoken misogynistic attitude in sailing in years gone by but thats a long time ago now....

Handbag, I think you are right on the first point, though I couldn't verify it with statistics. And the next I agree it was only common in the past, but it can take generations to effect cultural change.

Its why I find Sailor 'Chick' of the Week so condescending and patronising. Sailor Dick of the Week would be far more appropriate - you could find one Dickhead a day here.

Heroin Seller (you asked for that!) - You don't have to put up with it is the point I was making - you can create your very own 'generational change' and simply move on to another boat where the situation is more comfortable. There are lots of boats to choose from; no one has to put up with bullshit from loud ignorant pricks. On the other hand, if you really find SCOTW offensive, I would respectfully suggest you are playing in the wrong sandpit here at SA.

As for one dickhead a day here, I think that is a serious underestimation on your part :o

Noisebag, I think we're by and large on the same page, always have been, excepting this being the wrong sandpit to play in. It's not a good advertisement for the progressive and inclusive nature of our sport , to have one of its premier media being condascending toward women. Sure, I could play elsewhere, but that doesn't change the message being sent out.

x

Кугар

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

snapback.pngdbo, on 05 June 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

Anyone know how you pronounce or spell "Cougar" in Russian?

пума interestingly the words Puma & Cougar are of the same cat ... noone of the cashed up hungry hole variety!

Noisebag, I think we're by and large on the same page, always have been, excepting this being the wrong sandpit to play in. It's not a good advertisement for the progressive and inclusive nature of our sport , to have one of its premier media being condascending toward women. Sure, I could play elsewhere, but that doesn't change the message being sent out.

x

Sellingheroin, I hear your plaintive cry. Now, in the progressive and inclusive spirit of Sailing Anarchy, show us your tits! :P

post-13013-078424200 1339041853_thumb.jpg

Sellingheroin, I hear your plaintive cry. Now, in the progressive and inclusive spirit of Sailing Anarchy, show us your tits! :P

post-62567-015713900 1339042742_thumb.jpg

Ratbag, enjoy.

post-62567-015713900 1339042742_thumb.jpg

Ratbag, enjoy.

Hey Sailinghernia, the request was to see your tits, not your arse cheeks!

:P

Now that Lingerie Football is coming to Oz, perhaps the answer to declining participation in sailing is Lingerie Sailing. B)

Now that Lingerie Football is coming to Oz, perhaps the answer to declining participation in sailing is Lingerie Sailing. B)

only if they have huddles on the bow after every mark rounding and then high five each other across the pole. that and at least a 3% reduction in IRC rating for entertaining the fleet. there needs to be structure

Fair points. However, my wife still gets far more out of sailing the AWKR than other races. She enjoys it and I don't see the problem in one event a year that is totally directed towards the ladies. Apart from anything else, I get to cruise around watching whilst drinking Bundies.

A funny thing happened on another thread about half an hour ago. A bloke who I had considered a mate posted on the thread some info for me. It didn't stay there long, disappeared in seconds, but was there long enough for me to read. Ihe post was from Flatbag. The sender did not realise he was still signed in as Flatbag, so was writing as this so called mate.

I won't out him here, but you WILL learn who Flatbag is sockpuppet for. It was a shock to me.

A funny thing happened on another thread about half an hour ago. A bloke who I had considered a mate posted on the thread some info for me. It didn't stay there long, disappeared in seconds, but was there long enough for me to read. Ihe post was from Flatbag. The sender did not realise he was still signed in as Flatbag, so was writing as this so called mate.

I won't out him here, but you WILL learn who Flatbag is sockpuppet for. It was a shock to me.

Did you think maybe he was just using flatbags computer and didn't realize, I've done this a few time on boat computers and nearly posted under someone else s name. No everything is a conspiracy.