dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

And so let's move along from the conspiracy theories and homophobic commentary...

Victorian entries for the Sydney to Gold Coast yacht race seem a little light on:

Calm

Chutzpah

Scarlet Runner

Terra Firma

Veloce

Biddy Hu (Beneteau 50)

This accounts for most for the regularly racing Div 0 fleet but no Sydney 38s, Beneteau 40s, Adams 10s. What's Living Doll and Shogun up to these days?

Any late entries?

Mex

Entries don't close til 13 July so sure to be the usual last minute rush.

If Shogun is repaired in time

Be sure to keep us all advised as to shogun's progress....

And so let's move along from the conspiracy theories and homophobic commentary...

Victorian entries for the Sydney to Gold Coast yacht race seem a little light on:

Calm

Chutzpah

Scarlet Runner

Terra Firma

Veloce

Biddy Hu (Beneteau 50)

This accounts for most for the regularly racing Div 0 fleet but no Sydney 38s, Beneteau 40s, Adams 10s. What's Living Doll and Shogun up to these days?

Any late entries?

Mex

Thought Rob was too involved in olympic equestrian stuff to do it this year?

Be sure to keep us all advised as to shogun's progress....

It is high priority for everyone. You will hear it here on SA first!

Calm

Chutzpah

Scarlet Runner

Terra Firma

Veloce

Biddy Hu (Beneteau 50)

Any late entries?

Mex

Taking the in shore regatta version (Azzurra) offshore?

Did the bris-Gladstone race?, just the delivery hurt, must have got to Brisbane somehow

One Shogun is at Woolich Dock, the other is at Sydney City Marine

Dates for 2013 Geelong Festival of Sails now released:

Measurement event starts Thurs 24th Jan - assume this is Melbourne -based racing;

Passage Race on Friday 25th Jan.

Passage race on the Friday means time off work for the working class - not content to have it on the Saturday?

Organisers still trying to extract as many $$$ as they can by trapping us inside the world's most expensive drinking establishment for as long as possible?

Will be interesting to see if any lessons have been learned from last year's fiasco....?

Measurement event starts Thurs 24th Jan - assume this is Melbourne -based racing;

Passage race on the Friday means time off work for the working class - not content to have it on the Saturday?

Organisers still trying to extract as many $$$ as they can by trapping us inside the world's most expensive drinking establishment for as long as possible?

Will be interesting to see if any lessons have been learned from last year's fiasco....?

You don't HAVE to drink there. Plenty of pubs around.

Should the length of the regatta & number of races revolve around drinking time?

FFS, throw a few $38 slabs on the boat before you leave the dock - problem solved.

Remains to be seen if they've learnt anything from the entry-fee rip-off of 2012. <_<

Yet another post of Aussie babble and drivel....

If you're note interested, FCK OFF!! no one is making you read this "drivel"....

it's obvious you have no penis to play with so you post crap on pretty much every thread...

Are you one of those 'Patriotic' (redneck) Americans that drives around in a pickup with

the American Flag plastered across your back window.....

I've got plenty of "Seppo" buddies and they are all great people, such a shame about complete

and utter twats like you that get the US tarred with the wrong brush..

If you're note interested, FCK OFF!! no one is making you read this "drivel"....

it's obvious you have no penis to play with so you post crap on pretty much every thread...

Are you one of those 'Patriotic' (redneck) Americans that drives around in a pickup with

I've got plenty of "Seppo" buddies and they are all great people, such a shame about complete

Best not to feed the troll Mr B.

Best not to feed the troll Mr B.

Had a slight moment there... my bad!!!

Just spent a couple of days in Cape Town, SA, and guess who I found?

post-2416-034090500 1342267894_thumb.jpg

post-2416-014965100 1342267921_thumb.jpg

Well at least she's still afloat! Another from the same builder allegedly suffering what has been described as significant delam, taking water (again) just outside the heads on her way to Syd a couple of days ago. Rushed back to SYC and rapidly hauled out, it appears her program is in disarray. That's a real shame for RD.

Sheesh. What'd he do, sail over a black cat

All yours for 400,000 pounds according to Berthon.

Well at least she's still afloat! Another from the same builder allegedly suffering what has been described as significant delam, taking water (again) just outside the heads on her way to Syd a couple of days ago. Rushed back to SYC and rapidly hauled out, it appears her program is in disarray. That's a real shame for RD.

Thats a shame for SR, there was a similar delamination issue in Sydney last December before the Hobart race?

Thats a shame for SR, there was a similar delamination issue in Sydney last December before the Hobart race?

Yes, Same deal. I had a look yesterday, there is a patch about 0.5m x 0.5m about one meter back from the bow just off on the port side of the centreline that is delaminated, then from the back of that there is a crack running right back to about a meter in front of the keel. Nasty to look at sad.gif

He needs to get the Sanya boys in, they will know what to do.

Here you go: http://www.berthon.co.uk/yacht-sales-and-brokerage/boat-details.php?BoatID=3888607&currency=GBP

According to them it puts the I in immaculate.... also the U in underachiever.

Reckon they'd take offers? :P

Here you go: http://www.berthon.co.uk/yacht-sales-and-brokerage/boat-details.php?BoatID=3888607&currency=GBP

"With all the inventory needed to collect trophies all over the globe." :o

Yes, Same deal. I had a look yesterday, there is a patch about 0.5m x 0.5m about one meter back from the bow just off on the port side of the centreline that is delaminated, then from the back of that there is a crack running right back to about a meter in front of the keel. Nasty to look at sad.gif

He needs to get the Sanya boys in, they will know what to do.

Not a good result for either party there.

Here you go: http://www.berthon.c...07&currency=GBP

"With all the inventory needed to collect trophies all over the globe." :o

The current owner has spent loads of $$ after CD, but not many new sails? Also appears to show a new keel installed 500mm forward from the previous position. I thought after CD ditched John Corby, Greg Elliot was commissioned to design a new keel and moved the position approx 500mm aft. What is going on here?, the current owner might have gone back to John Corby to put the keel back to it's original design position? On a positive note the previous owner (CD) did not have any known delamination problems. At the right price this boat is still a great boat even if there have been a few problems under the Windex!

Current owner spent loads of $ on the Corby but still commissioned an new RP52 IRC. That sums it up pretty well as to what he thought of it.

Anyone know what's happening with the old Shogun and Calm now that the owners have new toys? Rumours are that RH cannot even get a sniff on the old Shogun.

Getting rid of them looks like being a major issue unless they price them at give away prices, and even then, who wants to own a older generation TP when there are now three latest generation ones in Australia to race against.

Sad to note Teddy Silbereisen passed away yesterday. A lovely bloke and favoured sailmaker to many, his trademark T sails will be seen for years to come and will always raise a smile. RIP Teddy :(

Anyone know what's happening with the old Shogun and Calm now that the owners have new toys? Rumours are that RH cannot even get a sniff on the old Shogun.

Aren't they keeping them as offshore machines and the newer ones inshore?

Calm used their current boat in the most recent Sydney to GC race but they don't have their new one just yet so there was no other option. I heard somewhere that Jason was going to sail the new one and Willo the old version. Presumably they wouldn't compete against each other. This would reinforce the idea of having an inshore and offshore boat. I trust the crew have banked up a lot of holidays...

The same can't be said for Shogun. The new one's in Sydney awaiting repair so why not sail the old one?

Mex

Calm

Chutzpah

Scarlet Runner

Terra Firma

Veloce

Biddy Hu (Beneteau 50)

Any late entries?

Mex

Well Scarlet wont be going anywhere for months. Massive delamination of hull in a four meter section forward of the keel. This will end in tears.

Calm used their current boat in the most recent Sydney to GC race but they don't have their new one just yet so there was no other option. I heard somewhere that Jason was going to sail the new one and Willo the old version. Presumably they wouldn't compete against each other. This would reinforce the idea of having an inshore and offshore boat. I trust the crew have banked up a lot of holidays...

The same can't be said for Shogun. The new one's in Sydney awaiting repair so why not sail the old one?

Mex

Wasn't the new one due in July ?

Sad to note Teddy Silbereisen passed away yesterday. A lovely bloke and favoured sailmaker to many, his trademark T sails will be seen for years to come and will always raise a smile. RIP Teddy :(

Fair winds Tedster

Grogo

Looking to get myself & the crew upskilled..

Can anyone recommend a professional coach

available in Melbourne?

Cheers

Cos.

Hey Cos - give Gordo Syme a call. I think he's still around.

Let us know how you go. I'll just watch your results!

Shock 40 in Melbourne for the Summer???? (Edit: Going to Brisbane)

As for a coach, Brett Young would be worth while looking into, he is based is Adelaide but spends a bit of time in VIC.

1344848713[/url]' post='3823008']

available in Melbourne?

Cheers

Cos.

Perhaps stay away from any of the US Olympic sailing team coaches. tongue.gif

Shock 40 in Melbourne for the Summer???? (Edit: Going to Brisbane)

As for a coach, Brett Young would be worth while looking into, he is based is Adelaide but spends a bit of time in VIC.

+1

Young Marine Services

Thanks Mex, WW for the 'BY' recommendation..

Certainly sounding like an option if available..

Cheers DC for the lead..

Instead of watching the results, come & join us ??

I'm sure I owe you ..

And thank you too Bb..

Gr8 advice ..

Cos.

Thanks Mex, WW for the 'BY' recommendation..

Certainly sounding like an option if available..

Cheers DC for the lead..

Instead of watching the results, come & join us ??

I'm sure I owe you ..

And thank you too Bb..

Gr8 advice ..

Cos.

Sounds like a plan Cos. There's only so much pain in the world, and we should share it around, right ? :P

Which race(s) ?

available in Melbourne?

Cheers

Cos.

What about Barney? Anyway, I'm not sure about your crew but I always thought you knew it all!

available in Melbourne?

Cheers

Cos.

What about Barney? Anyway, I'm not sure about your crew but I always thought you knew it all!

Ooooch, that's cutting.

Popcorn and beer over here please!!!

Major upheaval yesterday at a Sandy based yacht floggers as their star recruit was shown the door.

Could it come back to bite them in the fullness of time?

Any updates on the Scarlet Runner situation ?

Looks like the majority of the work is completed from the outside. Tent is down and it looks prepped to paint.

Can't speak for how things have progressed on the inside.

Mex

NoR for 2013 Audi IRC Australian Championships is up on the Festival of Sails website.

http://festivalofsails.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Audi-IRC-Australian-Championship-2013-Notice-of-Race.pdf

First observation is the price - $720 (with $50 discount for early payment). Ouch! Fair old whack for 4 days racing. Translates to $74 per race compared to between $21-$30 per race in Club Marine Series. Similar pricing to Hammo (7 days racing, plus generally better facilities, moorings etc) for those of us with boats between 8.0m – 12m LOA, but is a reduction for the bigger boats. (Cynical view could be that the smaller boats are therefore subsidising the big boats?). I am informed that pricing is the responsibility of the host club..... RGYC in this case... I would have thought a lesson from last year's Festival of Sails was learned?

Secondly, some interesting changes to divisional splits compared to Hammo:

IRC Class A will have:-

LH: 13.5 metres or longer (Hammo 2012: LOA 12m+)

IRC Hull Factor: 11.0 or higher. (Hammo 2012: 10.0 +)

IRC DLR: 160 or lower. (Hammo 2012: Same)

IRC TCC: 1.200 or higher (Hammo 2012: 1.160+)

IRC Age Date: 2003 or later (Hammo 2012: 2000 or later)

IRC Class B will be:-

IRC rated boats that do not meet the requirements of IRC Class A that have a TCC of 1.11 and higher. (Hammo 2012: 1.070+)

IRC Class C will be:-

IRC rated boats that do not meet the requirements of IRC Class A that have a TCC of 1.109 and lower. (Hammo 2012: 1.069 & lower)

My opinions: Top end is more focussed on the newer, bigger, faster, TP-style boats - a good thing!

However split between B & C is flawed, and could end up with a very large division C, as this will pick up about 90% of the (potential) Melbourne IRC fleet into the one division. Div C includes all rated below the Sydney 38's (who will likely be doing their own one-design thing anyway). When looking locally (where I expect the majority of entries could come from - notwithstanding the price!) at Club Marine Series, this would make Div C potentially as large as 68 boats+ (and include local boats from across CMS Div 1, 2 and 3). I would prefer to see the Div B / C split about the same as Hammo, and perhaps an additional Division D somewhere around the 1.020 mark. Current split also separates the Bene F40's and Bene F45's which is a pity as there is good, competitive local racing between these boats (personal perspective anyway). Could be seen to read: "Big, flash new boats (locally, interstate and overseas) - come along into Div A. Slightly older, non-TP style big boats (eg DK46, Maarten 49's, etc) - Div B is for you. Everyone else, including most of the local fleet - Div C is yours." Not sure that this is effective marketing of the event to attract the majority of local owners. I am told that these splits were done after considerable analysis of IRC ratings and potential participants both at a national and local level..... hmmmm wonder which Victorian representative(s) with knowledge of the local IRC fleet was involved in this analysis?

My 2c worth ... which is all I can afford if I pay the entry fee....

It would have been nice to have that IRC 1split at Hamo. The poor Ker 40 was further back than full back.. Huge difference between a Ker 40 and a 50, let alone the 100 footer or even the 60's..

I do agree with the B and C splits being a bit weird, Partially because of the new A split, but also because, I presume, they don't think they will get enough boats for 4 full divisions.?

NoR for 2013 Audi IRC Australian Championships is up on the Festival of Sails website.

http://festivalofsai...ice-of-Race.pdf

It was pointed out to me that this is only the NOR for the Audi IRC Nationals and that a separate NOR will be posted for the Festival of Sail Regatta within the next two weeks.

There will likely be different divisional splits and racing format for the balance of the regatta.

Cheers

Tim

A bit of a dusty start to the season for the combined club event at SYC on Saturday.

Calm (Willo's ocean going version) along with Goldfinger, Reverie and Schuss all decided to start five mintes early and were scored OCS.

Reverie and Horizon Sprint sailed a little close to the breakwater and managed to hit the bricks.

The tower decided to shorten the course and told Smooth Criminal and Reverie that they'd finished when they still had a lap to go. By this stage it was comedy gold with the tower offering profuse apologises and both boats having to hoist sails again and continue on (all for nought for Reverie).

Other than that, it was a lovely day for a sail although it became a bit of a procession when the breeze went left big time. The new Calm (Slotty's inshore around the cans version ex-Container) was out for a shake down too which must strain the crew ranks somewhat.

Cheers

Mex

A bit of a dusty start to the season for the combined club event at SYC on Saturday.

Calm (Willo's ocean going version) along with Goldfinger, Reverie and Schuss all decided to start five mintes early and were scored OCS.

Reverie and Horizon Sprint sailed a little close to the breakwater and managed to hit the bricks.

The tower decided to shorten the course and told Smooth Criminal and Reverie that they'd finished when they still had a lap to go. By this stage it was comedy gold with the tower offering profuse apologises and both boats having to hoist sails again and continue on (all for nought for Reverie).

Other than that, it was a lovely day for a sail although it became a bit of a procession when the breeze went left big time. The new Calm (Slotty's inshore around the cans version ex-Container) was out for a shake down too which must strain the crew ranks somewhat.

Cheers

Mex

Yeah, there's only so many legends to go round down here...

ConCalm was out again Sunday pm off Sandy going up and down for a few hours "honing their skills".

Cheers

Mex

So I wonder if they'll request redress for the tower's comms stuff up - new sailing manager at SYC too, interesting first day on the job !

The other odd thing was that Div2 were a General recall, but they decided to start Div3 on schedule, and then Div2 after them. Haven't seen that before, did the div3 flags go up before they had time to call it ?

Cheers

Mex

So I wonder if they'll request redress for the tower's comms stuff up - new sailing manager at SYC too, interesting first day on the job !

The other odd thing was that Div2 were a General recall, but they decided to start Div3 on schedule, and then Div2 after them. Haven't seen that before, did the div3 flags go up before they had time to call it ?

No redress for Reverie obviously, but, I understand Smoothy was going to seek some time off for good behaviour.

Not sure why Div 3 was started before Div 2 after the recall. Heard it on the radio and thought it was a bit strange.

Mex

No redress for Reverie obviously, but, I understand Smoothy was going to seek some time off for good behaviour.

Decided against it, as the three minute (approximate) redress would not have altered our handicap placing.

But it was a great day for a first sail in 5 months.

Not sure why Div 3 was started before Div 2 after the recall. Heard it on the radio and thought it was a bit strange.

Mex

Because they can, and it makes no difference to the restart time of Div 2.

Rather than recall Div2, and delay div 3, go into new Div 2 sequence 5 mins after the original start, and start 5 minutes later, and then start Div 3 5 mins later again, just start Div 3 at the original start time, and go into Div 2 sequence then.

No one is delayed.

Mex

Because they can, and it makes no difference to the restart time of Div 2.

Rather than recall Div2, and delay div 3, go into new Div 2 sequence 5 mins after the original start, and start 5 minutes later, and then start Div 3 5 mins later again, just start Div 3 at the original start time, and go into Div 2 sequence then.

No one is delayed.

Yeah, made sense - although was a lot of congestion at the gate, with Div2 catching many Div3 just before or after the gate, & Div3 heading back thru the Div2 fleet.

Here you go: http://www.berthon.c...07&currency=GBP

Reckon they'd take offers? tongue.gif

"With all the inventory needed to collect trophies all over the globe." ohmy.gif

The current owner has spent loads of $$ after CD, but not many new sails? Also appears to show a new keel installed 500mm forward from the previous position. I thought after CD ditched John Corby, Greg Elliot was commissioned to design a new keel and moved the position approx 500mm aft. What is going on here?, the current owner might have gone back to John Corby to put the keel back to it's original design position? On a positive note the previous owner (CD) did not have any known delamination problems. At the right price this boat is still a great boat even if there have been a few problems under the Windex!

The boat can be had for a song, Irvine Laidlaw spent plenty on her, but has a Ker 46 arriving shortly.

Notice of Race for the annual pilgrimage to Geelong for the 2013 Festival of Sails (non IRC Aust Championship component) released at:

http://festivalofsai...-2013_FINAL.pdf

Interesting observations: Passage race on the Friday....... no racing (presentations only) on the Monday...

$480 for "standard" entry in Performance Div 1 or 2, S80, or Super 30

PLUS see clause 4.3 below

Performance Series entrants shall have a valid AMS certificate or shall be scored as Event Handicap (EHC) only. Boats requiring to be scored in both AMS and EHC shall pay an additional fee of $55.00.

I think I'll stick to the SYC Australia Day Round the Stix race.

Also, it seems that all IRC divisions do not sail in the Passage Race as all their races start in Corio Bay.

Actually, Don and Wicked One, it's worse than this. There is no IRC racing at all for boats that are not entered for the Australian IRC championships, with the exception of those who are in the club challenge teams. It makes no sense to not have a division in the passage and other Geelong based races for boats that prefer to sail in the major Australian (and international?) rating sytem. I know that this will not affect Smoothie but it does affect boats like Beneteau 40's which prefer to race under IRC. The boat I sail on does not have an AMS rating and we are not interested in racing under some dodgy home town "Event Performance Handicap". What were they thinking? Have they gone completely mad or just got their heads totally up their arses. End of rant!

Good points bighugh.

It appears it is all about the Audi IRC series. All other keel boats seem to be just extras.

Its all about the ch-ching, ch-ching!

There is the IRC nationals. Multiple divisions.. Either race in it, or play in the other fleets.

It makes no sense at all what you guys propose..

Either play in the IRC nationals or don't.. I for one would be happy if they came to my home town.. and I bet a large amount of club racing guys would want to sail in it too.

It would appear not!

There is the IRC nationals. Multiple divisions.. Either race in it, or play in the other fleets.

It makes no sense at all what you guys propose..

Either play in the IRC nationals or don't.. I for one would be happy if they came to my home town.. and I bet a large amount of club racing guys would want to sail in it too.

Only valid if IRC is your sailing God

If it isn't, do the non IRC stuff...

We struggle to get sponsors and large events up and running on the west coast. Just be happy people are volunteering and putting on such regattas.

Go sailing, have fun and whinge less.

Yachting isn't cheap, we all know that, things cost money deal with it. I am being pretty blunt but without large sponsors events wouldn't even get off the ground and a regatta would consist of a sausage sizzle and BYO VB. If you want that, go to your local under 14's football club, That isn't sailing.

If it isn't, do the non IRC stuff...

We struggle to get sponsors and large events up and running on the west coast. Just be happy people are volunteering and putting on such regattas.

Go sailing, have fun and whinge less.

Yachting isn't cheap, we all know that, things cost money deal with it. I am being pretty blunt but without large sponsors events wouldn't even get off the ground and a regatta would consist of a sausage sizzle and BYO VB. If you want that, go to your local under 14's football club, That isn't sailing.

Beg to differ on this.... I think that you will find plenty of owners (particularly locals) that would be very happy with a sausage and BYO VB on-shore as long as there is some good quality racing on-water - at a reasonable price to recover reasonable costs such as temporary berthing infrastructure, race management resources, etc that can be directly linked to the on-water component.

You miss the point MSA. I sail a slightly aging 52 footer which would most probably get a severe flogging in the Australian IRC title up against one of the hottest TP fleets in the world - so we choose not to pay a large amount of entry fee to be on a hiding to nothing; plus there are issues with getting a crew for the extended period of racing - some people have real jobs! However, we are competitive in a mixed IRC fleet of non grand prix racers and hence would like to do the passage race and the Geelong based races.

I totally agree with Don. If I'm going to a SAILING regatta, I don't need to listen to expensive, ear shattering, live music and I'm not particularly keen on paying hugely inflated prices for post race drinks ($9 a can for Bundy last year!!!!) and food. I am more than happy with a sausage sizzle and BYO grog. If I want music I'll go to a concert. If I want an expensive meal I'll go to a decent restaurant. Then you add in the price of accommodation. The locals in Geelong have obviously taken lesons from Uncle Bob at Hammo. Last year we paid $240 a night for a shitty motel room in to which they had shoe horned three beds - and it didn't even include bloody breakfast.

If all this price gouging is designed to encourage participation then yes, somehow I am missing the point.

Thats fine.. Don't expect it to be the top level sailing then. It may be "good club racing" but it won't attract people from other states or an be IRC nationals.

I know plenty of owners that are happy to increase the entry fees of every event/race as long as they get a good prize.. or a prize at all.

You have to remember there is an industry that yacht clubs and sailors/owners heavily rely on. They/it wouldn't be there without the big spenders, Without top events in the theme of what yacht clubs and yachting is you don't have big spenders.. It is more than an under 14's game at the local footy oval.

If you want a weekend pissup, have one. I'm sure you can organize it, cover the insurance and find all the volunteers, right?

You have to except there are different levels of racing.. The Sponsors want to support the top end.. Highest exposure to those who spend the most.. its called advertising.. not just a freebee.

I agree they should have an IRC "cruising fleet" but having multiple IRC fleets for boats the same size and and similar ratings just to account for age... now that is not very progressive thinking is it..

Thats fine.. Don't expect it to be the top level sailing then. It may be "good club racing" but it won't attract people from other states or an be IRC nationals.

I know plenty of owners that are happy to increase the entry fees of every event/race as long as they get a good prize.. or a prize at all.

You have to remember there is an industry that yacht clubs and sailors/owners heavily rely on. They/it wouldn't be there without the big spenders, Without top events in the theme of what yacht clubs and yachting is you don't have big spenders.. It is more than an under 14's game at the local footy oval.

If you want a weekend pissup, have one. I'm sure you can organize it, cover the insurance and find all the volunteers, right?

Either you are living in another universe, or you are under 25 years of age (which could be taken as the same thing).

Sailing does not need "big spenders" for regattas to be successful, it needs groups of like minded individuals to sail and compete in boats, whether they are multi millionaires or 8 year olds in Optimists matters not. Somewhere to moor or store the boats, and somewhere to congregate afterwards to talk about the what ifs and if onlys. Everything else is fluff and bubble.

Knobs

Most of the doors in my home have them: what's the significant with regattas?

Either you are living in another universe, or you are under 25 years of age (which could be taken as the same thing).

Sailing does not need "big spenders" for regattas to be successful, it needs groups of like minded individuals to sail and compete in boats, whether they are multi millionaires or 8 year olds in Optimists matters not. Somewhere to moor or store the boats, and somewhere to congregate afterwards to talk about the what ifs and if onlys. Everything else is fluff and bubble.

Like I said.

Organise a "no frills" regatta and see how many people come and how long it last for.. If its good then it will be picked up by a sponsor, like Audi.. Its how the world works.. Apparently age means everything to you so with your years of wisdom you should know this..

Small minded thinking is what kills an industry..

The same bunch of people whinge every year about this regatta. Granted, I have never been, hopefully this time, but just go sailing and leave all the whinging behind..

Like I said.

Organise a "no frills" regatta and see how many people come and how long it last for.. If its good then it will be picked up by a sponsor, like Audi.. Its how the world works.. Apparently age means everything to you so with your years of wisdom you should know this..

The same bunch of people whinge every year about this regatta. Granted, I have never been, hopefully this time, but just go sailing and leave all the whinging behind..

+1

Like I said.

+1

Tipping that there will be a few people happy to see this. On her way to Brisbane with a new owner.

So did the contract of sale include a charter option for Royals to bring her back to Melbourne for the next Association Cup? :P

Like I said.

I have been. More than 35 times since my first on an Endeavour 24 in 1969 at last count so I have seen many changes, some good, some not so good. I have enjoyed the largesse dished out by Skandia and fondly remember the earlier days with the Lions Club Burger truck etc. The rating rules have changed, the race management has improved but the basics are still there. You race your boat to Geelong, you tie up to a bunch of other boats tied to their marina and you go ashore and join in the party on the lawn in front of the band if that suits you. And if you're lucky, Fordy will get up on stage with whatever band is playing and play the meanest blues harp you'll ever hear. Or you can stay on your boat and party with your mates there too if that's your choice. The next day and the day after you go do some more racing, come back to the marina and repeat the process. And then you sail your boat home again. All good fun. The sad thing is that this regatta has priced itself way beyond what I am prepared to pay for basically the same thing as there has always been. It simply hasn't improved or evolved enough to justify the extraordinary costs for entry, accommodation, food and drinks, ($9 for a can of Bundy... yeah, right!) that are now demanded. I am sure there will be plenty of sailors who will continue to support this regatta 'because it's there' and I sincerely hope they get as much fun out of it as I have over the many years I did support it. But for now, include me out.

Tipping that there will be a few people happy to see this. On her way to Brisbane with a new owner.

So did the contract of sale include a charter option for Royals to bring her back to Melbourne for the next Association Cup? :P

Since you mention it, the loss of a five time RJ Green Trophy winner is a shame but I think that the A31 might just cover the loss. :D :D

Like I said.

I have been. More than 35 times since my first on an Endeavour 24 in 1969 at last count so I have seen many changes, some good, some not so good. I have enjoyed the largesse dished out by Skandia and fondly remember the earlier days with the Lions Club Burger truck etc. The rating rules have changed, the race management has improved but the basics are still there. You race your boat to Geelong, you tie up to a bunch of other boats tied to their marina and you go ashore and join in the party on the lawn in front of the band if that suits you. And if you're lucky, Fordy will get up on stage with whatever band is playing and play the meanest blues harp you'll ever hear. Or you can stay on your boat and party with your mates there too if that's your choice. The next day and the day after you go do some more racing, come back to the marina and repeat the process. And then you sail your boat home again. All good fun. The sad thing is that this regatta has priced itself way beyond what I am prepared to pay for basically the same thing as there has always been. It simply hasn't improved or evolved enough to justify the extraordinary costs for entry, accommodation, food and drinks, ($9 for a can of Bundy... yeah, right!) that are now demanded. I am sure there will be plenty of sailors who will continue to support this regatta 'because it's there' and I sincerely hope they get as much fun out of it as I have over the many years I did support it. But for now, include me out.

Well said Chris.

I don't understand how MSA can equate quality of regatta, and sponsorship, with a high entry fee.

Sponsors get on board because there is a lot of potential exposure - ie. lots of people. High entry fees guarantee less people, therefore less sponsorship, and certainly not a better regatta.

I too wont be there, same reason as last year.

If you knew anything about this regatta, MSA, you would know that both Skandia and Audi (although Audi are sponsoring the Australian IRC championship) withdrew their sponsorship of this regatta over recent years. Does this perhaps say something about big business sponsoring grass roots sailing?

Vote with your feet.. Whinging is the worst thing you can do..

If you don't like it, don't go.. Unfortunately regattas do cost money to run, hence entry fees being what they are..

As for them being high? I wonder what a regatta cost to enter in the 80's.. After inflation... What it equates to now? And that's without taking into account over inflated insurance premiums etc.

$700 isn't to high for an entry, maybe you just aren't getting the return you want, which would point to the steering committee of the regatta not doing a good job. Take the initiative and do a survey of past competitors, see what they want changed and submit it to the committee. Complaining here doesn't help. Except for scaring people off who may want to do the regatta, which seems like what you are aiming to do.

If you don't like it, don't go.. Unfortunately regattas do cost money to run, hence entry fees being what they are..

As for them being high? I wonder what a regatta cost to enter in the 80's.. After inflation... What it equates to now? And that's without taking into account over inflated insurance premiums etc.

$700 isn't to high for an entry, maybe you just aren't getting the return you want, which would point to the steering committee of the regatta not doing a good job. Take the initiative and do a survey of past competitors, see what they want changed and submit it to the committee. Complaining here doesn't help. Except for scaring people off who may want to do the regatta, which seems like what you are aiming to do.

MSA, having sailed in 35 or so iterations of this event I believe I am coming from a slightly more qualified position than you. I have closely witnessed the evolution of the event since the late 60s and witnessed the more recent steady decline in value for money.The high by any standards series entry fee is just the start; its all the add-ons such as accomodation, food & drink that kill the deal for me. Price gouging in Geelong accomodation facilities is rife even to the extent that many hike their prices and then require a minimum booking of more nights than the duration of the event. Local restaurant and beverage prices mysteriously skyrocket overnight and the hand is out wherever you turn. It didn't used to be that way before the corporate involvement in the regatta when local businesses such as restaurants,motels, hotels, bars etc used to make us all welcome whereas now they see us merely as a captive cash cow.

Various organising entities and Committees, and there have been many at this regatta over the years, have, as you suggest, conducted participant surveys and called for sailor input. I have personally submitted my views on more than one occasion and I know well the views of very many others who have done the same. To the best of my knowledge nothing resulting in improvement in respect of what the customers (ie sailors) say they want at the regatta ever came of any of those surveys.

I have no intent to "scare off" would be participants here, I don't have that degree of influence anyway and as stated upthread, I really hope those who do go have a great time just I as I did on so many occasions. I am merely stating my own views as to why I no longer choose to support the event after having done so for decades. Make up your own minds people, Caveat Emptor.

MSA, having sailed in 35 or so iterations of this event I believe I am coming from a slightly more qualified position than you. I have closely witnessed the evolution of the event since the late 60s and witnessed the more recent steady decline in value for money.The high by any standards series entry fee is just the start; its all the add-ons such as accomodation, food & drink that kill the deal for me. Price gouging in Geelong accomodation facilities is rife even to the extent that many hike their prices and then require a minimum booking of more nights than the duration of the event. Local restaurant and beverage prices mysteriously skyrocket overnight and the hand is out wherever you turn. It didn't used to be that way before the corporate involvement in the regatta when local businesses such as restaurants,motels, hotels, bars etc used to make us all welcome whereas now they see us merely as a captive cash cow.

Various organising entities and Committees, and there have been many at this regatta over the years, have, as you suggest, conducted participant surveys and called for sailor input. I have personally submitted my views on more than one occasion and I know well the views of very many others who have done the same. To the best of my knowledge nothing resulting in improvement in respect of what the customers (ie sailors) say they want at the regatta ever came of any of those surveys.

I have no intent to "scare off" would be participants here, I don't have that degree of influence anyway and as stated upthread, I really hope those who do go have a great time just I as I did on so many occasions. I am merely stating my own views as to why I no longer choose to support the event after having done so for decades. Make up your own minds people, Caveat Emptor.

Although not quite at 35, I am probably closer to 20 appearances and tend to agree with your comments. Love the racing component of this event, but it has become cost-prohibitive for us. Unlikely to see us there this year at this stage, although have to add that cost is only one factor in this decision.

With 3 days to go until the end of the "Early Bird" discount of $50 for the IRC Championships, there are 5 entrants on the website - of which 4 are Class A. Could this be an indication of people voting with their feet?

Bye bye baby....baby bye-bye....

Back from whence she came [last time]! :(

BTW watch out for The Brothers.

Bye bye baby....baby bye-bye....

Back from whence she came [last time]! :(

BTW watch out for The Brothers.

Do you speak of the new Monkey Puzzle?