• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

5,397 posts in this topic

No, he's tactician on Ingara.

Have actually sailed a bit with Bill S, amongst many others. Interesting experience that. The interior of his boat is individually responsible for the deforestation of large areas of Thai teak forest. None of that lightweight veneer crap either, we're talking solid here. Just don't get in his way.

Damn, my secret's out. I confess, I really am the evil black Wiggle :ph34r:

Well, I do have a particular fondness for yummy mummies!

Especially when they are applied down the side of an 11: Metre :lol:

Question remains, which boat did you do the Hastings on? :P

Good close race today at SYC between the Farr 53 Georgia and the TP52 Cougar 11 with the TP52 taking the gun just ahead. Not at all surprising to see the vast distance between those two boats and the lamentable 'Finger. :(

Good close race today at SYC between the Farr 53 Georgia and the TP52 Cougar 11 with the TP52 taking the gun just ahead. Not at all surprising to see the vast distance between those two boats and the lamentable 'Finger. :(

Willo snr shouldn't have given Willo jnr such a good education ;)

Good Times!

Wasn't really very close at all if you were out there.

Willo Snr made Willo Jnr look a little bit silly on the start line from where I was and pushed them off to the right which was death. (ask those on the Gold boat)

A very big lead at the first mark seemed to evaperate pretty quickly given it was a long soldiers in firm air after that.

Wasn't really very close at all if you were out there.

Willo Snr made Willo Jnr look a little bit silly on the start line from where I was and pushed them off to the right which was death. (ask those on the Gold boat)

A very big lead at the first mark seemed to evaperate pretty quickly given it was a long soldiers in firm air after that.

35 seconds apart after 2 hrs 11 minutes of racing in their first ever encounter at SYC. Hmmm, you're probably right Rossco, not really very close at all.

http://syc.com.au/raceresults/WSAT07/10RGrp50.php

Does anyone have an update on the progress of the two new boats, Chutzpah and Flirt? Any photos? They must be getting ready for launch soon. Any idea how they will go against the other big boats on the Bay based on someone who has seen them? I hear both owners are pretty confident about their new toys and their ratings on IRC. Apparently Flirt's rig and sail areas are bigger than a TP52, and the Chutzpah has chines.

There maybe also be a 2nd one for both designs. Any truth to this?

Can't wait till summer to see all the boats racing around.

Spoke to "New Flirt" owner briefly on Saturday. Seems confident of a November launch.

Great to see "Georgia" take an IRC win in her first race, although I was surprised how long Cougar was able to hold up in a bad windward position against Georgia.

Looks like the TP is about 3% faster in the light stuff. I suspect this will be closer to 5% in Medium conditions.

Huge difference in speed between these two.

Guess you just aren't quite astute enough to see it

The two boats finished 35 seconds apart in a race that lasted 2 hours 11 minutes. They both sailed the same course. What happened throughout the race is of no consequence - the margin at the finish was still only 35 seconds. So tell me, Oh bearer of startling intellect, in what way do their relative performances in that race indicate a huge speed difference?

Does anyone have an update on the progress of the two new boats, Chutzpah and Flirt? Any photos? They must be getting ready for launch soon. Any idea how they will go against the other big boats on the Bay based on someone who has seen them? I hear both owners are pretty confident about their new toys and their ratings on IRC. Apparently Flirt's rig and sail areas are bigger than a TP52, and the Chutzpah has chines.

There maybe also be a 2nd one for both designs. Any truth to this?

Can't wait till summer to see all the boats racing around.

You'd want to be bloody confident after spending all that money! Then again, what keelboat owner is going to admit it even if they do end up with a dog.

New Krakatoa is the perfect example... absolute shit box, sails around the course with the 30 footers, but they are still talkin it up!!

Spoke to "New Flirt" owner briefly on Saturday. Seems confident of a November launch.

Great to see "Georgia" take an IRC win in her first race, although I was surprised how long Cougar was able to hold up in a bad windward position against Georgia.

Looks like the TP is about 3% faster in the light stuff. I suspect this will be closer to 5% in Medium conditions.

Can't quite figure how you can translate 35 seconds in 2 hours 11 minutes as a 3% margin. That equates to roughly 0.5% which is hardly convincing. Maybe the Cougar team are just slower learners than Willo's mob :P

No question the TP should be quite a bit quicker than the older style F53. Bit of a rude lesson too for the poo-brown boat: right is wrong!

Can't quite figure how you can translate 35 seconds in 2 hours 11 minutes as a 3% margin. That equates to roughly 0.5% which is hardly convincing. Maybe the Cougar team are just slower learners than Willo's mob :P

No question the TP should be quite a bit quicker than the older style F53. Bit of a rude lesson too for the poo-brown boat: right is wrong!

I reckon the wheels will start falling off the TP program right about the time the Georgia boys really start cranking it up!!

Cougar must really be scratching their heads: Georgia... A quarter of the price, is a much tidier looking boat, rates well, and looks not to be a whole lot slower round the course!

Give me a ride on the Silver Beast (with the old school boys) over the Poo-Brown (talk it up cup, rockstar boys) any day!

Aaahhh, at the end of the day this handicap stuffs all a fuckin wank anyway!

Harsh!

Sounds like an axe to grind, won't they (52) let you go for a sail with them or something?

I reckon the wheels will start falling off the TP program right about the time the Georgia boys really start cranking it up!!

Cougar must really be scratching their heads: Georgia... A quarter of the price, is a much tidier looking boat, rates well, and looks not to be a whole lot slower round the course!

Give me a ride on the Silver Beast (with the old school boys) over the Poo-Brown (talk it up cup, rockstar boys) any day!

Had a quick word with a mate in Annapolis who had done a mile or six on Rush before it became Cougar 11. Apparently, in TP52 circles, it is reputed to be able to lick it's own balls. Still, its a great looking boat and will doubtless score a few guns here on our pond. Until something faster comes along that is...

Georgia, on the other hand is an absolute glamour machine.

You sound about as convincing as slack fag.

"A quarter of the price"?

I'm guessing you have some specific knowledge on the final price paid by each owner?

Please share that with us all.

Forgive me if I'm a little slow off the mark, but just visited the Sydney-Hobart website and see that Challenge is entered . . . . . again. That'll see Lou break the record won't it ?? The little master is a freak !!

The new Flirt is going really well - everything coming together now. November launch is on track.

The boat is going to be great - very different to the old boat. It should be a good all-round vessel and it will be fun to sail. It is similar to a TP52, but its shorter, a bit heavier and has a wee bit more sail (plus a beer fridge).

Pics attached.

post-8605-1190548119_thumb.jpg

post-8605-1190548064_thumb.jpg

that ain't boring....Hey thrift, you did well to get those shots from where you are in Syd-en-knee :rolleyes:

Any chance of a transom shot, Thrift? Be nice to see what it's bum looks like

Also ask them how they intend to get that out of that shed - one shot shows the end of the building, and the other shows what appears to be a very narrow roller door entry going onto a short laneway :huh:

Also ask them how they intend to get that out of that shed - one shot shows the end of the building, and the other shows what appears to be a very narrow roller door entry going onto a short laneway :huh:

Good point 42 South. The doors are too narrow to extract the boat but we have another plan. The roof of the shed opens up like the Thunderbirds HQ and we are going to inflate jumping castles underneath it until it pops out the top, then we can lower it onto a flat-bed truck. If it is too heavy we are going to fill up the interior with hundreds of helium balloons.

As for pics - I don't have a shot of the stern at hand. The boat carries beam quite a way aft and the transom is open - unlike the old boat.

dont u worry bout that

Rig fixed after Hammo yet?

dont u worry bout that

Was doing the S38 sprint series at Geelong on the weekend and over heard someone in the bar suggest there was another problem now.

Sweeeet looking boat Paradox , which one is it the 40 or 49 ?

49 footer - with a 6 foot bowsprit

O.k here's the scoop on the Schapelle 49...it appears Thrift got a bit carried away when he said they would use inflatable jumping castles...funny boy indeed :lol: the way they intend to get it out of the shead is to lift it out using one of those big fuck off twin prop heli birds and fly it down to the water's edge. Looks like Ludde and his rig have been outdone by Victorians....failing that method I suggested that the KY the bitch up and see if she will squeeze through the door.

GO CATS !

Yeah the Rogers is fucked keel about to fall off and owner possibly about to kill the boatbuilder!

Word is the owner is going to sell it and buy a fleet of etchells.

Heard there was a big wrong with the new Shogun, anyone found out more?

yep, know all about it .

Word is the owner is going to sell it and buy a fleet of etchells.

I think you are abit misinformed...he already has a fleet of etchells

yep, know all about it .

All together class ...can we say "build quality"

Word was around after the first one hit the water in the UK last year.

At least he can race Mary in their respective Etchells until they get it sorted. Mind you, she'd probably hand him his arse on a platter :lol:

Hope to see the 'Gun back and racing soon.

Ok Guys.

Any sightings of a new A35 on the water as yet.....

Lives opposite us at SYC, don't think it has done a race yet.

Melbournes new A35 has been weighed for AMS / IRC.Strange to see a new boat with no bulb on the keel these days. Terry took it out for an airing the other day to see if the sails fit. Apparently they do. Season Opening Day next Saturday then the real stuff starts the following week. Will watch with interest...

Melbournes new A35 has been weighed for AMS / IRC.Strange to see a new boat with no bulb on the keel these days. Terry took it out for an airing the other day to see if the sails fit. Apparently they do. Season Opening Day next Saturday then the real stuff starts the following week. Will watch with interest...

Great Stuff.........

Has the naming ceremony been done yet ? .......If so has he kept with the Aussie tradition & gone for "A......

Interested to see how it rates

quote name='PlanetX' date='Sep 30 2007, 10:31 PM' post='1359373']

Great Stuff.........

Has the naming ceremony been done yet ? .......If so has he kept with the Aussie tradition & gone for "A......

Interested to see how it rates

I watched the IRC weighing at SYC a couple of weeks ago. Absolut was the last boat weighed due to windy conditions. Took a couple of shots for your interest. Notable was bulb-free keel and very skinny rudder chord.

post-449-1191198307_thumb.jpg

post-449-1191198190_thumb.jpg

Hi Blokes - stern shot of Flirt below. We plan to put a transom on before it goes in the water (the 2x4 will come out too).

post-8605-1191312548_thumb.jpg

Looks like she might move along ok off the breeze...

I'm presuming large mast head rig.

Any plans available on the net?

We plan to put a transom on before it goes in the water - Well that would be a good thing if you want the "dehummer" too work ! :blink:

(the 2x4 will come out too). - Why try and step things up now?....just screw the bastards in place and go sailing ! :P

That guy in the shot looks too have aquired a few more grey hairs through the build ! :lol::lol:

Hi Blokes - stern shot of Flirt below. We plan to put a transom on before it goes in the water (the 2x4 will come out too).

That is very flash.

I like the 44 gallon rudder. If it ever breaks you will be able to find a replacement anywhere

Looks like she might move along ok off the breeze...

I'm presuming large mast head rig.

Any plans available on the net?

Quite big masthead shutes, it will be good off the breeze. The lines are quite different to the old boat - more powerful boat for sure.

I don't think there are any drawings on the net (we have some paper plans though).

Skandia is listed as an entrant for Hobart this year.

G'day Melbourne brethen.

I'm shocked seeing a brand new boat without a bulb. Obviously for rating but would you want to sacrifce everything thats great about sailing modern, stiff and powerful boats for the ratings benefit. Sort of makes you wonder why sail at all if you were more interested in winning in the IRC chook raffle on a brand new dog, or trying to win (or at least having a blast) on a faster boat. Horses for courses I guess.

Not a flame on the owner, just an observation. Sports car I know you know what I'm on about.

I'm guessing about 0.921 based on

AMS Listing as of 6th September 2007

26201 A35 R ARCHIE ARCHAMBAULT W MH 0.921 DSS

Perhaps .925 for AMS is a little light given the results of a couple of these boats at Skandia Geelong last regatta.

Understand the AMS Committee is reviewing bulbless keels in the formula so expect a 5% lift from .921.

Given the results in VYC at the same regatta would imagine a starting point of .940 would be fair.

Perhaps .925 for AMS is a little light given the results of a couple of these boats at Skandia Geelong last regatta.

Understand the AMS Committee is reviewing bulbless keels in the formula so expect a 5% lift from .921.

Given the results in VYC at the same regatta would imagine a starting point of .940 would be fair.

Are you starting rumours again Rossco?

The Sydney 36's are around 0.948, would an A35 be quicker than an S36? probably not.

or is it slower than a Radford 35 at 0.925??? HHmmmmmmmmm

Any yacht design with a name ARCHAMBAULT should be penalised 5% for being difficult to pronounce:

AR-C-HAM-BOLT or Oi-See-that-Pig-Run

Are you starting rumours again Rossco?

The Sydney 36's are around 0.931, would an A35 be quicker than an S36?

or is it slower than a Radford 35 at 0.925???

Any yacht design with a name ARCHAMBAULT should be penalised 5% for being difficult to pronounce:

AR-C-HAM-BOLT or Oi-See-that-Pig-Run

Not a rumour as "some bloke told me" :rolleyes:

And.........................how did you think of that :lol:

As a casual observation of them with regard to how they were being sailed the Archie is not far behind the Syd36 upwind. Close enough that poor sailing on the 36 against a well sailed Archie will equal the mix and the boats would get a chance at each other.

Downhill the asso CR's are a little slow compared to the symm boats on anything close to a run. Asso boats really have an advantage when the apparents get forward of the beam. The Archie is slower downhill than all the 36s but gets down the middle brilliantly and becomes a major weapon at that rating number in the medium airs before bigger boats hit their breakout numbers. Ask the IRC fleet at Airlie.

Funny comment from that regatta

(Cookson 50 crewman to Archie 35 helm who is sauntering down the dock with his shirt off (put it back on man!) the morning of the second last race saying g'day to everything that moved.) "You wouldn't havta bother sailing today would ya bloke??"

(Archie 35 Helm )

"Errrr....you wouldn't want to have to win like that would you?"

(Cookson 50 crewman)

"Mate...we can't win!!"

Ahh...the joys of It's Really Confusing rating system. :)

And.........................how did you think of that

Too many happy pills!!!

Nice breezy sailpast for the start of the 2007/8 season at Sandy YC today. Coolish out there on the water too but the sight of the TP 52 in flight certainly heated things up. Gotta be one of the horniest boats to hit the Melbourne scene in a while. Snapped this pic this afternoon and thought it was worth sharing:

post-449-1191680599_thumb.jpg

Sailing boats like a TP52 must make the sail past go a little quickly. Blink and you'd miss it!

Nice shot of the 11: Metre from somebody who is on record in hating them.

Has somthing changed? :rolleyes:

Nice shot of the 11: Metre from somebody who is on record in hating them.

Has somthing changed? :rolleyes:

Not so Rossco, there are some good people in 11M:ODs. You may know some of them?

It's good that the race management people involved with the Range Series have finally seen the light and will run the races in 4 divisions this season. The newly established Division 0 (Zero) is for the larger, faster boats so we will no longer have 30 fters lining up against the 45 -100 fters as we have seen in the past. Also some changes to sailing instructions/courses compared to last years events so read up folks! Weather looks like crap for the first one this Saturday so good luck to all!

Unusual to see a Range Race as the very first race of the season so those start lines could be interesting for those perhaps a little rusty after the winter :o

Hey Melbourne big boat guys....coming down after new years for a few weeks...will be sailing out of sandy and out of somers yacht club (westernport) on the T... 2 questions...where's a good spot near sandy or somers to go windsurfing???

and...are there any races on at this time of year??? who do you talk to about getting out for a race or even just a twilight sail???

Cheers

JRTC, where are you guys staying for the Sandi part of your trip (I know where you'll be at Somers)? Also are you coming straight down after Sydney or going homw for a while?

Apocalypse is here!!

The world is now officially over!!!!

ur a tool.

wheres the pics.

is it racing satday?

Impressive list of Range Race 1 entries so far:- http://topyachtsoftware.com/db/aus/series_...ies_display.php

No start time listed there for the new Div 0 and it looks like HBYC haven't quite figured out who should be in Div 0 anyway.

Good luck to the poor sap in the S80 in amongst the tall timber :P

Few notable absentees but more boats may appear on the list tomorrow.

At least he can race Mary in their respective Etchells until they get it sorted. Mind you, she'd probably hand him his arse on a platter :lol:

Shogun was built by CMI, which is a spinoff from Green Marine in the UK. Green Marine is possibly one of the best boat builders in Europe if not the world.

Apparently CMI built the boat exactly as per design specifications, like the other Rogers.

I heard they’ve added so much weight to the boat trying to reattach the subframe to the hull that they’ve had to take led out of the keel.

I’m looking forward to how Shogun goes in the Syd-to-Hobart, I think it’ll let the cat out of the bag.

Shitty forecast for tomorrow...wet weather gear day no doubt....20-25 knots should definitly blow out those cobwebs!

Saturday

West to southwest winds 20 to 25 knots, moderating to 15/20 knots during the

morning but increasing later in the day to 20 to 25 knots and locally reaching

30 knots. Waves mainly 1 to 2 metres.

Also was up RYCV the other day, shiny new FT10 standing on the hard, any idea when it'll be out racing??

New boats seem to be falling from the sky in Melbourne at the moment. Here's another...

post-449-1192172385_thumb.jpg

QUOTE(Flatbag @ Sep 27 2007, 04:22 PM)

At least he can race Mary in their respective Etchells until they get it sorted. Mind you, she'd probably hand him his arse on a platter

Shogun was built by CMI, which is a spinoff from Green Marine in the UK. Green Marine is possibly one of the best boat builders in Europe if not the world.

Apparently CMI built the boat exactly as per design specifications, like the other Rogers.

I heard they’ve added so much weight to the boat trying to reattach the subframe to the hull that they’ve had to take led out of the keel.

I’m looking forward to how Shogun goes in the Syd-to-Hobart, I think it’ll let the cat out of the bag.

Word has "It" that the cat has changed species!!!!!!! to a DOG in fact.

First the mast problems at hammo,

then tried to convert itself to a canter? but in reverse,

then when trying to straighten the canter, you could have shuffled some cards into the laminate!

so, we have a crook erection, no weight below the WL and the house of cards falling apart!

Will it ever leave the pen? let alone Sydney?

New boats seem to be falling from the sky in Melbourne at the moment. Here's another...

Why is it at SYC? launched/ rigged there? Also what's with the raft- getting cat 2 for Stanley etc (not even sure what cat that race is) or is it heading straight north?

Nice. What design is the new Chutzpah?

Why is it at SYC? launched/ rigged there? Also what's with the raft- getting cat 2 for Stanley etc (not even sure what cat that race is) or is it heading straight north?

Chutzpah is on the ORCV entry list for Stanley.

Much easier to work on boats at SYC with the floating pontoon marina.

Closer to Mornington??

I thought it was a RP but can't be as they all look a whole lot meaner

Perhaps a bad camera angle?

Is it just me, or is IRC starting to typecast the design of boats, as IOR did some years ago. Every new boat now has the widest flattest (is that even a word) arse - can they get any bigger ?

Like the boom tho....

Is it just me, or is IRC starting to typecast the design of boats, as IOR did some years ago. Every new boat now has the widest flattest (is that even a word) arse - can they get any bigger ?

Like the boom tho....

A bit - but I think we have a long way to go before we have the sillyness of IOR and the plain wierdness of IMS.

2007-2008 Range Series, Club Team Premiership & Class Championship

Notice to Competitors

Range Series Race One

Competitors are advised that due to an unfavourable weather forecast for Saturday the 13 th of October

the race Committee will review conditions at 10:30 Saturday.

An announcement regarding the Committees intentions will be made at 11:00 on VHF 73. Notice will

also be posted at www.rycv.asn.au

Competitors are advised to ensure they have copies of the latest amendments to Sailing Instructions

(Including fixed mark courses 7 & 8)

Watch out all as will be a killer in the morning.

Forcast to be all of..............................25knots :lol::lol:

The nanny state?????

The new Chutzpah is an R.P. 40. She was due at Royals in second half of September but 2 false starts with the keel put the program back so far that Mal Hart and his boys wanted to do the commissioning closer to their home base to avoid any further delay. She will be dry-sailed from Williamstown.

And yes the weather looks pretty shitful for tomorrow; figures, what with the first Range race AND the MotoGP this weekend :P

2007-2008 Range Series, Club Team Premiership & Class Championship

Notice to Competitors

Range Series Race One

Competitors are advised that due to an unfavourable weather forecast for Saturday the 13 th of October

the race Committee will review conditions at 10:30 Saturday.

An announcement regarding the Committees intentions will be made at 11:00 on VHF 73. Notice will

also be posted at www.rycv.asn.au

Competitors are advised to ensure they have copies of the latest amendments to Sailing Instructions

(Including fixed mark courses 7 & 8)

Watch out all as will be a killer in the morning.

Forcast to be all of..............................25knots :lol::lol:

The nanny state?????

They can't be serious? why cant Dave :angry: set a course in 25-35knots, more than that, blow the race off.

Could be a wild ride on Don's boat Rossco, is that your weapon of choice?

Like the boom tho....

I know which sort of typecasting I prefer & its not the rolly-polly piggies thats for sure

I see that yet again it is going to be a shit fight to get all the boats entered in the range series in the results. No Archembault 35, No Syd 38s at all, and I am sure numerous others. Good to see Terra Firma was the first boat in Div 1, :lol: after being over at the start in Div 0 they came back and covered the Div 1 fleet. :angry:

Does any one know what happened to Chutzpah they withdrew as soon as the breeze got up but sailed home under spinnaker so it doesn't look like damage?

No Range results up yet on the website and I wasn't sailing. Can anyone fill me in on the details from yesterday ?

I know which sort of typecasting I prefer & its not the rolly-polly piggies thats for sure

I hear ya !

Was only comparing typeforming, not the type of typeforming :unsure:

Had to avoid 1 or 2 rolly poly piggies yesterday.

Still no results Royals.

There was a photo boat out on the water all day - anyone know where those photos would be??

Not a bad days racing, got a bit interesting in the middle....you reckon it would be possible to make the marks a bit smaller????!

weren't meant to be sailing just tuning the rig... but thats like getting in to an F1 car and only saying you can idle at 10km/h..

so entered the race to see how it would pull :D

then had too much fun going back downwind and kept on going

so how was it??

weren't meant to be sailing just tuning the rig... but thats like getting in to an F1 car and only saying you can idle at 10km/h..

so entered the race to see how it would pull :D

then had too much fun going back downwind and kept on going

Except the RYCV was in fact upwind :lol::lol:

Lots of shell shocked Range "racers" out there on Saturday for the first race of the season with offshore mains and poled out headsails or running fractional bags when they should have been running their biggest gear. C'mon peoples, there really wasn't that much wind. Never saw over 23 true and that was only briefly - most of of the day I read at around 16-18 true. Gone soft over the winter?

Cougar was quick, damned quick. The new Chutzie looked interesting and performed OK but not blindingly fast (yet) until they went home early. The old 12m Kooka looked to be sailed much better than she has in the past and loved the conditions. The new Archie 35 Absolut had a reasonable first hit-out too. Big change of order in the Syd 38s - well done Float Drop and team. Best dressed award would have to go to the astronaut-like outfits worn by the Doll crew followed by the classic red and navy ensembles seen on the latest Terra Firma (ex Gomez)

Hey, it doesn't matter too much if you break the start, just as long as you look good doing it B)

The new Div 0 moved the bigger toys ahead of the rest and seemed to well received while running the two leeward marks giving shorter legs for the smaller/slower boats and allowing the bigger/faster boats a longer runway was a good initiative.

All in all a pleasant, if chilly, day on the water. Would love to see photos from the photographer seen lurking at the weather / hitch mark first time round and elsewhere on the course throughout the day.