dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

Dave's old A31 coming to SYC which I'm sure will clean up most of IRC...

Did I hear that Jason Close has bought the A31? What's happening to the Beneteau 35 White Noise?

Mex

That's right mex. White noise is for sale.

Div 2 is where it's at these days anyway ;)

The A31 has been at SYC for 2 weeks!

Did I hear that Jason Close has bought the A31? What's happening to the Beneteau 35 White Noise?

Mex

That's right mex. White noise Wet Nose is for sale.

A few observations from this change of boat from Jason:

- Going from one IRC rating boat to another, but is the new boat a better IRC rating boat?

- SYC buying up the Royals boats to improve their chances of winning the Association cup

- This A31 is exceptionally well looked after and has a near new set of sails, always stored on the hardstand, new carbon rig to improve mast stiffness

- Jason must prefer the tiller over a wheel

- Still need to beat the Adams 10s on IRC which was difficult based on the results of the previous owner

- More workable cockpit compared to the B35

- Going from one IRC rating boat to another, but is the new boat a better IRC rating boat?

- SYC buying up the Royals boats to improve their chances of winning the Association cup

- This A31 is exceptionally well looked after and has a near new set of sails, always stored on the hardstand, new carbon rig to improve mast stiffness

- Still need to beat the Adams 10s on IRC which was difficult based on the results of the previous owner

Don't know whether it is a better IRC rating boat but it is a much better set up boat thanks to custom details supplied by Bateaux Archambault when new and a lot of smarts supplied courtesy of Doyle Melbourne and Doyle New Zealand. There aren't too many 31 footers around tapping into the knowledge of guys like Chris Mitchell and Richard Bouzaid.

I wish all the other competing Clubs the best of luck in winning the Association Cup and hope that one of them is successful soon. We'll have to rename it the Cruising Cup because there aren't too many racing boats going around anymore. Sportsboats are the thing of the future!

I am more than happy with our record against the "unbeatable" Adams 10's, there was only one boat that we had trouble with and that was when the wind strength got got above twelve knots. If my sole aim was to beat Adams 10's then I would have kept the Borresen. The A31 allowed us to do other events such as the Launceston to Hobart and the IRC Nationals. It opened the door to learning a lot about what makes bigger boats go such as mast jacks, sail development programs and Expedition.

There are other boats around that we have trouble beating but none of them have furniture, fin keels, low tech construction or the weight of the A31. if I was worried about getting beaten by those boats I would have cancelled the A31's AMS certificate, as I did with the Borresen.

We had a lot of good races in the boat, winning first time out in the CMS when it was brand new was probably a highlight as was winning the Lonny to Hobart. Best of luck to the new team on board. if they'll have me - I might do the occasional race with them. You can't do the same thing forever, four CMS Div 2 wins in six years with two different boats isn't a bad record so I'm happy to become "Melbourne Shaw 650" and take myself off to Sportsboat Anarchy.

FoS sold him the boat? http://www.topyacht.net.au/results/2014/fos/rc-3/SGrp5.htm

Probably not a bad changeover, get some money in the pocket, can still do some ocean, dry sail.

post-17846-0-97764200-1401196648_thumb.jpg

Putting a couple of miles on the Bene 35 in the Geelong Passage Race with this Stratis Code Zero (as well as passing the Beneteau 45's doing wind speed in 7 knots at 70 degree TWA) and Rohan Veal's salesmanship probably sealed the deal.

How times have changed. Melbourne Big Boat Fleet thread and we are talking about an Archie 31 !

With respect, few at SYC have any interest in the Association Cup at all and I doubt Jason had that in mind when he decided to purchase what is a superbly prepared and equipped yacht that he can race hard but still have a bit of fun on with his family and mates. Tons lighter than his last ride, it has to be more fun to sail!

Adams Tens still need to be well sailed to beat the A31 but If cockpit space was the determining factor, then he couldn't have gone past an A10. A10s are fun, fast and relatively cheap boats and yes, some of them (by no means all A10s) have proved to be hugely successful under IRC & AMS ratings but if that's what we all have to sail to win in IRC/AMS then you can shove those rules where the sun don't shine.

With respect, few at SYC have any interest in the Association Cup at all and I doubt Jason had that in mind when he decided to purchase what is a superbly prepared and equipped yacht that he can race hard but still have a bit of fun on with his family and mates. Tons lighter than his last ride, it has to be more fun to sail!

Adams Tens still need to be well sailed to beat the A31 but If cockpit space was the determining factor, then he couldn't have gone past an A10. A10s are fun, fast and relatively cheap boats and yes, some of them (by no means all A10s) have proved to be hugely successful under IRC & AMS ratings but if that's what we all have to sail to win in IRC/AMS then you can shove those rules where the sun don't shine.

Do SYC members have any interest in results of the Range Series or Geelong either? Clearly not because they insist that their Club run events in competition with these major Victorian keelboat events, even though one of their own Club's sponsors is the series sponsor of the Range Series. Running the Sydney 38 and J24 State Titles in competition with the Association Cup was a curious decision given that the Association Cup had been in the calendar for eleven months.

Clubs go through transition and clearly, with some decent AMS boats, Brighton could have won the trophy. Out of interest, Adams 10's while being members of winning teams, have not generally won the RJ Green Trophy for the IRC Champion boat.

The measure of success for the Association Cup is not having fourteen teams entered - there aren't fourteen keelboat Clubs in Victoria. A fourteen team entry list would require a lot of boats to be borrowed or sailed under the burgee of another Club which I don't think is going to happen. That's my personal commentary on the Association Cup to differentiate that event from the core discussion here.

Adams 10's cop a lot of criticism - I don't see much evidence of poorly sailed Adams 10's winning many races. They are a cheap introduction to measurement system racing, as was the Borresen. Hopefully owners get a taste of IRC racing and then choose to upgrade into a larger boat. For the same coin as an Adams 10 I would pick a Shaw 650 or the cheaper Viper or Vx One all day every day. I hope that some of the displaced TP52 crew put their hand in their own pocket and get into sports boat racing.

I think that the Adams 10 criticism is quite disrespectful to guys like Josh and Al Shears who are incredibly talented sailors. When they are not on board the two respective boats, their level drops quite considerably.

So yes, you are correct that the well campaigned Adams 10's have been very successful under IRC and AMS but the "unbeatable" tag should only serve as motivation for others to knock them off their pedestal as our team has attempted to do over the past seven seasons. Racing against those guys really spurred us on to work harder.

Calms before the storm? Keep calm and carry on...

Do SYC members have any interest in results of the Range Series or Geelong either? Clearly not because they insist that their Club run events in competition with these major Victorian keelboat events, even though one of their own Club's sponsors is the series sponsor of the Range Series. Running the Sydney 38 and J24 State Titles in competition with the Association Cup was a curious decision given that the Association Cup had been in the calendar for eleven months.

Clubs go through transition and clearly, with some decent AMS boats, Brighton could have won the trophy. Out of interest, Adams 10's while being members of winning teams, have not generally won the RJ Green Trophy for the IRC Champion boat.

The measure of success for the Association Cup is not having fourteen teams entered - there aren't fourteen keelboat Clubs in Victoria. A fourteen team entry list would require a lot of boats to be borrowed or sailed under the burgee of another Club which I don't think is going to happen. That's my personal commentary on the Association Cup to differentiate that event from the core discussion here.

Adams 10's cop a lot of criticism - I don't see much evidence of poorly sailed Adams 10's winning many races. They are a cheap introduction to measurement system racing, as was the Borresen. Hopefully owners get a taste of IRC racing and then choose to upgrade into a larger boat. For the same coin as an Adams 10 I would pick a Shaw 650 or the cheaper Viper or Vx One all day every day. I hope that some of the displaced TP52 crew put their hand in their own pocket and get into sports boat racing.

I think that the Adams 10 criticism is quite disrespectful to guys like Josh and Al Shears who are incredibly talented sailors. When they are not on board the two respective boats, their level drops quite considerably.

So yes, you are correct that the well campaigned Adams 10's have been very successful under IRC and AMS but the "unbeatable" tag should only serve as motivation for others to knock them off their pedestal as our team has attempted to do over the past seven seasons. Racing against those guys really spurred us on to work harder.

Not defending SYCs actions for one moment, running S38s and J24 tiles against the Assoc Cup was wrong no matter how little regard SYC sailors may have for that much diminished event.

SYC offered Club racing on Range days for those who didn't want to commit to a major series or just weren't interested in travelling some distance across the bay to go racing. It started out a few years ago as a low key option with only a few boats racing but has since proved attractive enough to a lot more boats so that they now outnumber SYCs Range competitors. Maybe the endlessly repetitive nature of the Range series needs a revamp to again attract sailors in the numbers it once enjoyed? Or just maybe IRC and AMS doesn't float their boats anymore? On a positive note, at least they are still sailing and not leaving their boats growing barnacles on the yacht club marina.

No disrespect intended re Josh, Al and the other excellent sailors on the top A10s; those guys would shine on any boat and its plain to see that their presence or absence makes a notable difference to the performance of their respective yachts.

Bringing it back to the thread title, With both Calms gone, Shogun on the market in Sydney, Goldie gone to Europe, Dolly tucked up in her bed and Scarlet on her world tour you would think there would be busloads of crew looking for rides. Not so, from what I hear around the traps. Oh well, it was a nice ride while it lasted.

Yachts competing in the Association Cup are there by invite only, the event is not open for "all to sail", so I have no issue with other sailing events being scheduled at the same time.

Geelong Regatta? last time I sailed that I had to take out a bank loan to pay the entry fees, food and beverage costs, accommodation, and boat repairs after being "moored" by rafting up against 6 other yachts.

Comment: Lots of money has been poured into Geelong over the years by visiting sailors, yet the "marina" remains an appalling congregation of rotting timber pylons....why is that?

Range series? only 8 boats in Div 1 in the last race we did, and we were "written up" as an intruder and "barger" (even though no protests were lodged by anyone) by the "official" author of the published (Sail World) article on that race. Based on that, I am more than happy to leave the Range series to those who are welcome and sail the competing SYC races, especially as there were more Div 1 boats to sail against.

Bringing it back to the thread title, With both Calms gone, Shogun on the market in Sydney, Goldie gone to Europe, Dolly tucked up in her bed and Scarlet on her world tour you would think there would be busloads of crew looking for rides. Not so, from what I hear around the traps. Oh well, it was a nice ride while it lasted.

Amen to that.

Yachts competing in the Association Cup are there by invite only, the event is not open for "all to sail", so I have no issue with other sailing events being scheduled at the same time.

Geelong Regatta? last time I sailed that I had to take out a bank loan to pay the entry fees, food and beverage costs, accommodation, and boat repairs after being "moored" by rafting up against 6 other yachts.

Comment: Lots of money has been poured into Geelong over the years by visiting sailors, yet the "marina" remains an appalling congregation of rotting timber pylons....why is that?

Range series? only 8 boats in Div 1 in the last race we did, and we were "written up" as an intruder and "barger" (even though no protests were lodged by anyone) by the "official" author of the published (Sail World) article on that race. Based on that, I am more than happy to leave the Range series to those who are welcome and sail the competing SYC races, especially as there were more Div 1 boats to sail against.

The Association Cup has been moved to a Sunday for that very reason. What do you expect that their will be an event run for your benefit every day of the week?

Based on that, I am more than happy competing in SYC races, especially as there were more Div 1 boats to sail against.

Looking forward to hearing a glowing and excited post from you Don on how much you're enjoying your sailing... where ever you find it.

Not looking to single you out, but there's a lot of moping and wringing of hands going on around here.

Personally, I thought the Apollo Bay race was well run and well attended by a variety of boats and sailors.

Isn't that a good thing?

Mex

Based on that, I am more than happy competing in SYC races, especially as there were more Div 1 boats to sail against.

Looking forward to hearing a glowing and excited post from you Don on how much you're enjoying your sailing... where ever you find it.

Not looking to single you out, but there's a lot of moping and wringing of hands going on around here.

Personally, I thought the Apollo Bay race was well run and well attended by a variety of boats and sailors.

Isn't that a good thing?

Mex

I swore 20 years ago never to sail in an offshore race ever again, so I have not commented on offshore races, attendance, etc. Let those that enjoy it continue to do so.

I'm only interested in day sailing, and my comments were regarding "day sailing" regattas here in Melbourne.

Yes. I do love my sailing, although I prefer racing yachts, I've done my share of cruising. 50 years after being introduced to it at Grange Sailing Club, it is still my passion and what keeps me sane.

There is and always has been "moping and wringing of hands" by owners/skippers when it comes to finding suitable, stable crew, and equitable ratings/handicaps for all boats...what's new?

As for moving the Association Cup to Sunday's, I repeat my statement, the AC is NOT open to all yachts, it is race by invitation only. So why should it be the one and only event? And Yes, there are sailing events scheduled almost every day of the week around the Melbourne clubs, because that is what members want.

Not defending SYCs actions for one moment, running S38s and J24 tiles against the Assoc Cup was wrong no matter how little regard SYC sailors may have for that much diminished event.

SYC offered Club racing on Range days for those who didn't want to commit to a major series or just weren't interested in travelling some distance across the bay to go racing. It started out a few years ago as a low key option with only a few boats racing but has since proved attractive enough to a lot more boats so that they now outnumber SYCs Range competitors. Maybe the endlessly repetitive nature of the Range series needs a revamp to again attract sailors in the numbers it once enjoyed? Or just maybe IRC and AMS doesn't float their boats anymore? On a positive note, at least they are still sailing and not leaving their boats growing barnacles on the yacht club marina.

No disrespect intended re Josh, Al and the other excellent sailors on the top A10s; those guys would shine on any boat and its plain to see that their presence or absence makes a notable difference to the performance of their respective yachts.

Re scheduling of the Association Cup, I think you will find that the S/38 and J24 state titles have been run at this time for several years, so it was perhaps an omission by the organisers of the Association Cup to identify conflicting events and work together with that organising authority earlier? As the majority of S/38's are at SYC, then isn't it SYC that would have been most impacted by the clash, but I have not heard any negative comments around SYC about that clash. Also agree with Don's comments that as an invite-only event, the Association Cup only impacts a few boats, so clubs should be able to schedule events as their members demand. As someone who has been honoured to be selected to participate in the Association Cup several times, I too fear for its future, but don't see any simple solution. I think there is a place in the local competition for a Team-based, inter-club event. Perhaps it is up to each club to better promote the event to their members?

As for the comments about SYC scheduling events "in competition with" the Club Maine Series, I don't see the events in competition at all. One is a boat-start, laid marks event scored on measurement and performance handicap, the other is a local fixed marks, tower start event scored on performance only. If the SYC members are saying that they don't want to participate in the CMS, and prefer a local-club format it would be inappropriate for the Club to ignore its members. Same thing with Geelong... SYC (and other club's) members have asked for a local, club-based alternative because they simply don't want to go to Geelong. Again, a local afternoon, fixed marks, tower start event is hardly in the same league as the Geelong regatta.

At the end of the day, Clubs need to schedule events that meet the demands of their members... to try to influence members in another direction is a risk to our sport.

As for the Adams 10 comments... well-designed, well-maintained and well-sailed boats win races.

Re scheduling of the Association Cup, I think you will find that the S/38 and J24 state titles have been run at this time for several years, so it was perhaps an omission by the organisers of the Association Cup to identify conflicting events and work together with that organising authority earlier? As the majority of S/38's are at SYC, then isn't it SYC that would have been most impacted by the clash, but I have not heard any negative comments around SYC about that clash. Also agree with Don's comments that as an invite-only event, the Association Cup only impacts a few boats, so clubs should be able to schedule events as their members demand. As someone who has been honoured to be selected to participate in the Association Cup several times, I too fear for its future, but don't see any simple solution. I think there is a place in the local competition for a Team-based, inter-club event. Perhaps it is up to each club to better promote the event to their members?

As for the comments about SYC scheduling events "in competition with" the Club Maine Series, I don't see the events in competition at all. One is a boat-start, laid marks event scored on measurement and performance handicap, the other is a local fixed marks, tower start event scored on performance only. If the SYC members are saying that they don't want to participate in the CMS, and prefer a local-club format it would be inappropriate for the Club to ignore its members. Same thing with Geelong... SYC (and other club's) members have asked for a local, club-based alternative because they simply don't want to go to Geelong. Again, a local afternoon, fixed marks, tower start event is hardly in the same league as the Geelong regatta.

At the end of the day, Clubs need to schedule events that meet the demands of their members... to try to influence members in another direction is a risk to our sport.

As for the Adams 10 comments... well-designed, well-maintained and well-sailed LOW RATING boats win races.

Minor amendment

Why not change the Association Cup to an Inter Club One Design challenge and have each club select a crew (all must fulfill the requirements for ISAF Group 1 sailor classification) to represent them.

The defending club gets to select the one design to be used. And round robins are sailed to select the final 6 to compete (if required)

Melbourne has an good assortment of one designs, Etchells, Int 11 metre, Adams 10, Beneteau 7.5, J24s.

I'd put my hand up for selection.

Why not change the Association Cup to an Inter Club One Design challenge and have each club select a crew (all must fulfill the requirements for ISAF Group 1 sailor classification) to represent them.

The defending club gets to select the one design to be used. And round robins are sailed to select the final 6 to compete (if required)

Melbourne has an good assortment of one designs, Etchells, Int 11 metre, Adams 10, Beneteau 7.5, J24s.

Put your hand up what?

What I mean by that is that to get any change made in yachting on this pond or indeed in this country, you're probably going to have to put your hand somewhere not very nice. The only change they want anything to do with is the stuff rattling around in our pockets.

Put your hand up what?

What I mean by that is that to get any change made in yachting on this pond or indeed in this country, you're probably going to have to put your hand somewhere not very nice. The only change they want anything to do with is the stuff rattling around in our pockets.

Flatbag! Cynicism? from you???? Will the Sun rise in the East tomorrow? Will Politicians stop arguing in Parliament? Will Julia Gillard dye her hair blonde and strut the catwalk?

I did qualify my statement with the last two words...."for selection".

How times have changed. Melbourne Big Boat Fleet thread and we are talking about an Archie 31 !

Bit like SYC.

Seems a lot more power boats filling up the the pens.

What happened to the 70-30% ratio?

Looks more like 60-40.

Bit like SYC.

Seems a lot more power boats filling up the the pens.

What happened to the 70-30% ratio?

Looks more like 60-40.

Power boats and cruising yachts are getting bigger, while the racing sail yachts are getting smaller.

I think that says more about the average age of boat owners.

Apparently the 70/30 split (Sail/Power) is still enforced.

And not to forget the largest keelboat class on the bay, the S80!

Put your hand up what?

Flatbag! Cynicism? from you???? Will the Sun rise in the East tomorrow? Will Politicians stop arguing in Parliament? Will Julia Gillard dye her hair blonde and strut the catwalk?

I did qualify my statement with the last two words...."for selection".

Are the Kennedys gun-shy? Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back?

Don, my point is that you're going to have to get your fingernails dirty getting the governing authority to make the changes to the Ass Cup format so that there could be something for you to put your hand up to be selected for. Nothing cynical about that as history around these parts would bear out.

They have screwed with the Ass Cup in the same format, now a bland, largely unsupported 1 day event, for so long now it has lost just about all interest from the Clubs ( and sailors) and virtually ceased to exist as the vibrant, important, must-do marquee event it once was for inter club sailing in this State.

And not to forget the largest keelboat class on the bay, the S80!

You could not seriously consider S80's or indeed Adams Tens if you want to run the event in true One-Designs. As for the Beneslug 7.5s they have at Sandy, I would rather poke my eyes out with a hot roofing nail than ever set foot on one of sail those horrible shitters ever again. What were they thinking?

My suggestion to revive the Ass Cup fwiw: rig-equalised Sydney 38s, one per club with boat selection drawn from a hat... but you & your crew can't sail on your own boat. You could even it up further with OD sails for the competing boats, one set of sails (main, 2 jibs 1 spinnaker) to be purchased by each competing club but to be held by YV and selected each year, like the boats, from a hat draw.

One crew each from RYCV, HBYC,RMYS, RBYC, SYC, Mornington, Blairgowrie and Geelong; the 8 bona-fide keel boat clubs on the Bay. No ratings, no dart board YV handicapping, just scratch sailing; best crew wins. But of course, we all know that'll never happen...

Association cup is fine how it is, just needs to be promoted to the clubs better, no point have one design sailing, it is meant to be the best boats from each club fighting for the honours. 2014 it went well, RYCV only just got across the line, Brighton sent a good team, as did RMYS but a few clubs didn't send a team, HBYC, RGYC.

The decline of big race boats isn't just Melbourne, Sydney they all seem to be for sale and buying MC38s.

Association cup is fine how it is, just needs to be promoted to the clubs better, no point have one design sailing, it is meant to be the best boats from each club fighting for the honours. 2014 it went well, RYCV only just got across the line, Brighton sent a good team, as did RMYS but a few clubs didn't send a team, HBYC, RGYC.

The decline of big race boats isn't just Melbourne, Sydney they all seem to be for sale and buying MC38s.

2014 it went well? Four teams... and it went well. You're fucking kidding, right?

2014 it went well? Four teams... and it went well. You're fucking kidding, right?

Four clubs represented, RBYC, RYCV, SYC, RMYS, that's pretty good. I'd like to see HBYC and RGYC also, but who else would you expect to see race?

Yep, it's blowing the rocks out from under the oysters here today. Massive tide surge too, check your moorings and marina lines peoples.

Yep, it's blowing the rocks out from under the oysters here today. Massive tide surge too, check your moorings and marina lines peoples.

Hobbos:

10475689_555144151261620_680956770109802

SYC submarine missing in action today.attachicon.gifSYC sub.JPG

Isn't that what submarines are supposed to do?

Bored out of my tiny brain here at the Coal Face so I just checked the entry list for ORCV Winter Series to find only twenty three boats are entered to race plus four Sydney 38s in their own division. This series used to be fucking huge with big fleets in multiple divisions only very few years ago. I didn't even look at the numbers in their much touted Cruising Division (OK so I lied, there's a whole two (2) entered there!). Its the Ocean RACING Club fellas!

I know Club race fleets have been seriously shrinking in recent years but this was once the absolute "Must Do" series on this puddle.

Is it due to economic times, anti Tony Abbotts budget backlash, costs of safety compliance, shortage of even half experienced crew, terminal boredom from endless windward leeward races to suit a flawed rating rule (IRC), climate change, all gone North to Airlie, Hammo & Maggie or all of the above?

No one from Brighton can get to their boats so that counts them out

Hi,

Is it due to economic times...Yep,

anti Tony Abbotts budget backlash....politics..no comment!

costs of safety compliance/moorings/everything to do with boating?.....oooo yes

shortage of even half experienced crew..and the organisation required............yep

terminal boredom from endless windward leeward races to suit a flawed rating rule (IRC).........not so much

climate change.............me being north of you, not a factor for me.

Whilst I love racing, I personally couldn't justify the cost, and just as importantly, the time anymore for a 38-40.

Hence I am off to sunny France to suss out the Pogo 30. Why?

Minimal crew requirements, quick enough for me, lower cost for sails/mooring/maintenance, ie: all-round due to size, and above all I want to enjoy my sailing.

I know the Pogo will most likely get flogged under IRC, but I am not racing for that, I just want to race for the sheer fun of it,

I am embarressed to admit I have lost that selflessness is required with owning a bigger boat, you have to really love it and not count the cost.

My two cents, sad to see the demise of the bigger guys.

SB

I am with him.

See the Sunfast 3200 in Melbourne looks sold to Tasmania then.

After years of herding cats (and warning this is where we would end up) I am not that sorry a whole of people are left with no owners and no new flash boats to sail on.

Much frivolity at the SYC Ball last night. Hearty congrats to Mike Welsh for taking out Club Person of the Year; some small recompense for blowing up both a headsail AND a mainsail in last Wednesdays mid-week racing. Stirrer of the Year goes to Harpo, also well deserved.

Good to see Elvis is alive and well and still treading the boards, accompanied by a couple of feathered bimboes who looked remarkably similar to last years bimboes.

Great work as always from Billy S as MC and well done to the 'laced up' Gillian S on her win due entirely to the draw by the aforementioned Mike W acting as Barrell Girl for the occasion.

Great applause at the announcement of Scarlett Runner's Pac Cup victory during the evening.

And the big boat exodus out of Melbourne continues with Dolly off to 'Hollywood'

Owner believed to have taken the daddy of all haircuts on this one, ouch!

Hi,

Is it due to economic times...Yep,

anti Tony Abbotts budget backlash....politics..no comment!

costs of safety compliance/moorings/everything to do with boating?.....oooo yes

shortage of even half experienced crew..and the organisation required............yep

terminal boredom from endless windward leeward races to suit a flawed rating rule (IRC).........not so much

climate change.............me being north of you, not a factor for me.

Whilst I love racing, I personally couldn't justify the cost, and just as importantly, the time anymore for a 38-40.

Hence I am off to sunny France to suss out the Pogo 30. Why?

Minimal crew requirements, quick enough for me, lower cost for sails/mooring/maintenance, ie: all-round due to size, and above all I want to enjoy my sailing.

I know the Pogo will most likely get flogged under IRC, but I am not racing for that, I just want to race for the sheer fun of it,

I am embarressed to admit I have lost that selflessness is required with owning a bigger boat, you have to really love it and not count the cost.

My two cents, sad to see the demise of the bigger guys.

SB

Ohhhh no. Don't blame IRC for 'endless W/L races'. On the contrary, IRC works best on a variety of courses, specifically NOT just W/L. RORC has been promoting course variety for IRC racing for years. If event organisers are too lazy to do it, or they have pressure put on by the boats designed for W/L courses, don't label that as a weakness of IRC.

The only reason IRC "works" on non w/l races is in that format you have a chance to overcome the inherent problems through good tackticks, wind shifts, weather patterns and a bit of luck over an extended period of time.

And the big boat exodus out of Melbourne continues with Dolly off to 'Hollywood'

Going State side? A strong Aussie dollar wouldn't help in achieving a good price.

Mex

The only reason IRC "works" on non w/l races is in that format you have a chance to overcome the inherent problems through good tackticks, wind shifts, weather patterns and a bit of luck over an extended period of time.

So you are trying to tell me that good tactics, correctly dealing with wind shifts, starting at the favoured end of the start line, maintaining a lane of clear air, good crew work and correct sail selection don't matter in windward/leeward races because IRC's inherent problems are stopping you from winning? I think that you need to re-assess your opinion of what yacht racing is all about.

I think you need to re read what I posted.

So apart from a heavy caravan being mandatory to win a windward/leeward race in the 35 to 45 foot bracket, what are IRC's inherent problems?

Going State side? A strong Aussie dollar wouldn't help in achieving a good price.

Mex

Thought you were connected Mex? "Hollywood" = Mr Ray, in Sydernee.

Should be an interesting program to follow with Dolly in his hands. Interesting to see if she stays predominantly Sydney based or does the Asian circuits he is so fond of. Must like "happy endings" :P

I think you need to re read what I posted.

So apart from a heavy caravan being mandatory to win a windward/leeward race in the 35 to 45 foot bracket, what are IRC's inherent problems?

Answered your own question. Where most of the Australian fleet sit.

Saw the Doll up at Royals getting some work done, seems to be a few repairs around the nose and down the port side, getting a spray job and new name?

Saw the Doll up at Royals getting some work done, seems to be a few repairs around the nose and down the port side, getting a spray job and new name?

Welcome home Scarlet Runner... but only briefly as she's about to head off to a new (US?) owner too, leaving Terribly Firm as just about the only "big" boat left in this sorry pond where 40 is the new 50 :(

Well done Scarlet Runner!

Terra and Primative Cool entered for the Geelong race this weekend. Reasonable entries with 36 in racing, 17 in cruising and 3 multis.

Welcome home Scarlet Runner... but only briefly as she's about to head off to a new (US?) owner too, leaving Terribly Firm as just about the only "big" boat left in this sorry pond where 40 is the new 50 :(

Rumour Mill says Ray Roberts purchased the Doll.

Confirm? Deny?

The 50's will be back.

Well done Scarlet Runner!

Terra and Primative Cool entered for the Geelong race this weekend. Reasonable entries with 36 in racing, 17 in cruising and 3 multis.

They missed probably half a dozen entries from SYC by scheduling this race at the same time as the last race of the SYC Winter Series.

Not sure why they felt the need to do this...

Mex

Rumour Mill says Ray Roberts purchased the Doll.

Confirm? Deny?

The 50's will be back.

Who the fuck do you think "Hollywood" is?

OK, I'll give you a clue... his initials ar R R.

The geelong race is always held this weekend - so i'd say SYC over ORCV

With all due respect Pete that is not a great argument. How long has the winter race to Geelong been going for now? Not that many - maybe five? ORCV (rightly) has ownership of the holiday weekends to run their offshore races but apart from those dates they don't have the right to exclusivity of a date at their choosing. How many months has the SYC Winter Series NOR been out for? More than enough for other Clubs to set their calendar sympathetically. How many yacht races are going on next weekend?

These sort of clashes are not serving the Melbourne racing community at all well. I would never be so arrogant to make demands of the other Clubs but I do hope that we can (continue) to work in a co-operative way to prevent these clashes. It does frustrate me that they still occur.

With all due respect Pete that is not a great argument. How long has the winter race to Geelong been going for now? Not that many - maybe five? ORCV (rightly) has ownership of the holiday weekends to run their offshore races but apart from those dates they don't have the right to exclusivity of a date at their choosing. How many months has the SYC Winter Series NOR been out for? More than enough for other Clubs to set their calendar sympathetically. How many yacht races are going on next weekend?

These sort of clashes are not serving the Melbourne racing community at all well. I would never be so arrogant to make demands of the other Clubs but I do hope that we can (continue) to work in a co-operative way to prevent these clashes. It does frustrate me that they still occur.

Dave, prior to the race being re-located to Geelong, it was the traditional Hastings race - been going for as long as i can remember - 14+ years ??? Anyway, agree with your point - the clubs should always communicate and avoid clashes if possible. And to a large extent i think they do - i know SYC avoids putting on a race during the Lipton Cup weekend as an example. Don't know what other clubs do.

I think this year SYC may've fucked up. Happens.

Yeah, it's odd. The SYC winter series and the ORCV winter series were on alternate weekends with the exception of date set for a re-sail plus the Geelong race.

Anyway, doesn't sound like much actual sailing happened. Very slow trip down to G'town and a motor home.

Mex

Dave, prior to the race being re-located to Geelong, it was the traditional Hastings race - been going for as long as i can remember - 14+ years ??? Anyway, agree with your point - the clubs should always communicate and avoid clashes if possible. And to a large extent i think they do - i know SYC avoids putting on a race during the Lipton Cup weekend as an example. Don't know what other clubs do.

I think this year SYC may've fucked up. Happens.

Thanks for the reminder - I'd forgotten all about that Hastings Race! We have seen the odd example where Clubs have scheduled events against a major event but generally it's been an "oops, we stuffed up" situation.

I can remember the Hastings race being very popular amongst the Melbourne keel boat offshore racers. Most boats and newbie crews enjoyed their first taste of racing out of the heads and sometimes blasting their way into Western Port Harbour to the finish line off Hasting Marina. It was always a laugh to see some of the boats running aground negotiating their way into the Hastings marina. There was great atmosphere after the race under the marquee and later at the local Hastings Marina pub. That all finished once the new marina became full.

The ORCV then raced to the NAVY base near Hastings and then to later raced to a mark in the Western Port entrance and then to a finish line off the Flinders Pier.

Please ORCV, bring back another version of the last race of the ORCV series to be raced out of the heads towards Western Port and back to say a Port Lonsdale finish line. This will provide the newbies a chance to taste a short ocean race and then maybe back to the Blairgowrie marina/yacht club for a beer and stay the night.

The Geelong Yacht Club does not have that same atmosphere after the Geelong race to the same level that was in the past with the last ORCV winter series race being a short raced in the ocean to Western Port Bay!

I can remember the Hastings race being very popular amongst the Melbourne keel boat offshore racers. Most boats and newbie crews enjoyed their first taste of racing out of the heads and sometimes blasting their way into Western Port Harbour to the finish line off Hasting Marina. It was always a laugh to see some of the boats running aground negotiating their way into the Hastings marina. There was great atmosphere after the race under the marquee and later at the local Hastings Marina pub. That all finished once the new marina became full.

The ORCV then raced to the NAVY base near Hastings and then to later raced to a mark in the Western Port entrance and then to a finish line off the Flinders Pier.

Please ORCV, bring back another version of the last race of the ORCV series to be raced out of the heads towards Western Port and back to say a Port Lonsdale finish line. This will provide the newbies a chance to taste a short ocean race and then maybe back to the Blairgowrie marina/yacht club for a beer and stay the night.

The Geelong Yacht Club does not have that same atmosphere after the Geelong race to the same level that was in the past with the last ORCV winter series race being a short raced in the ocean to Western Port Bay!

Agree Chucky. But they would not want boats potentially re-entering the rip in an adverse (ebbing) tide, so logistically it would be tricky. Perhaps they could make the Latitude race, Race7 of the winter series.

Interesting to see that Rob Hanna is racing Shogun V in the BWPS Flinders Islet race this weekend.

I thought Shogun V was the inshore around the cans version....

Mex

Interesting to see that Rob Hanna is racing Shogun V in the BWPS Flinders Islet race this weekend.

I thought Shogun V was the inshore around the cans version....

Mex

Much upgraded and IRC modded in recent times, now more versatile but not sure it's quite a Syd Hobart boat. Watching with interest. Not many of those TP52 things left around these parts anymore. Good program, top people, well funded too which has to help :-)

In what world would that yacht ever be called good looking. Farr grafted a bow sprit and twin rudders to his last IMS slab sided design and called it an IRC yacht. At least Ray is using the excess real estate for self promotion.

In what world would that yacht ever be called good looking. Farr grafted a bow sprit and twin rudders to his last IMS slab sided design and called it an IRC yacht. At least Ray is using the excess real estate for self promotion.

Who's kidding who? Dolly was never a pretty girl by any stretch of the imagination and her dowager drab colour scheme did her no favours. Best she ever looked is when they snapped the sprit off the front.

One thing's for sure about Mr Ray - he definitely ain't shy when it comes to self promotion.Why else would they call him Hollywood? And he does run a good sailing program with plenty of talent and the freight to back it up. This will be a program to watch with interest.

Nice day saturday to blow the cob webs out and kick off the season. Range starts again this week but suspect not a lot in Div0

umm missing a jib sheet?

Anyone seen an entry list for range series, with all the clubs doing their own entries its a bit hard.

I don't know why I cant paste the link but got to clubmarineseries.com.au for a full list of divs