dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

This problem rests with the individual principle race officers IMHO, not the people who created the options.

Just love packing up in the dark :blink:

Tell Don to get a bigger outboard :P

Outboard, paddle, oars, jet unit or anything that would give the boat forward propulsion would be appreciated. :P

Be easier to just move R2 <_<

towards black rock... :huh:

Than to get Don's outboard firing

There's nothing physically wrong with my outboard motor.

It has an identity crisis because it's mounted inboard, and you bastards don't help by laughing at it!!!!

It's just shy, introverted, and ever so slightly manically depressed.

It has an identity crisis because it's mounted inboard, and you bastards don't help by laughing at it!!!!

To change the subject completely, since you don't have an Avatar try this

post-2116-1192586368.jpg

The "Ben Cousins" of outboard motors?

New boats seem to be falling from the sky in Melbourne at the moment. Here's another...

post-449-1192172385_thumb.jpg

And a few more shots of the RP40 Chutzpah here:

post-449-1192664641_thumb.jpg post-449-1192664594_thumb.jpg

post-449-1192664668_thumb.jpg post-449-1192664706_thumb.jpg

And a few more shots of the RP40 Chutzpah here:

post-449-1192664641_thumb.jpg post-449-1192664594_thumb.jpg

post-449-1192664668_thumb.jpg post-449-1192664706_thumb.jpg

Interesting shots, thanks CF.

Found this beauty from marine photographer Steb Fisher on the RYCV website. Hopefully more will come to light as he was lurking out there for much of last Saturdays Range race. Show us what you got Steb!

post-13013-1192669428_thumb.jpg

Fine looking boat that!! Looks a bit chilly though...

Just getting the word out, I'm currently looking for a ride for Geelong Week. if anybody needs crew or know's of somebody needing crew give us a yell!

Have a few hundred miles of racing miles under my belt, going up to asia to race Raja Muda and Kings Cup. Can do most things on a boat from backstays/steering/trim/tactics all the way up to bow. Not very good on grinders though. not really big enough.

Cheers JRTC

Any Anarchists sailing on the new Chutz??

Good to see Dekadence get a thrid on IRC on the first hit out with mostly new crew.

Where was the Geelong DK46 would of thought they would have liked to line up.

Good to see Dekadence get a thrid on IRC on the first hit out with mostly new crew.

With all the discussion about the weather-"will they or won't they?"- & the trip up to Melb & back, plus waiting on reefable main, decided to play in own backyard.

But will be at the big school soon !

cheers

With all the discussion about the weather-"will they or won't they?"- & the trip up to Melb & back, plus waiting on reefable main, decided to play in own backyard.

But will be at the big school soon !

cheers

Doh - you must have too much time on your hands....pardon the pun!

You gotta be joking.....With the IRC handicap DK46's attract, they could sail the course backwards and still finish on the podium...

You gotta be joking.....With the IRC handicap DK46's attract, they could sail the course backwards and still finish on the podium...

Seems like this boat doesn't like playing with the big guys and has taken to beating up the little guys. ;)

The Geelong boat won't have much to sail against :P

Seems like this boat doesn't like playing with the big guys and has taken to beating up the little guys. ;)

The Geelong boat won't have much to sail against :P

Also note that the DK 46 starting in Div 1 and sailing in clear air all day only managed to take 1 min elapsed out of the new RP40 Chutzpah (Div 0) around todays course :(.

If the Div 0 boats can elect to sail in Div 1 in the SYC aggregate races when ever they feel like it and totally stuff up the Div 1 scoring for an entire season, then I should be able to enter my RP36 in SYC Div 2 aggregate races and sail against Elliot 970's, Farr 1020's etc. and potentially win a lot of trophies.

Then I nominate to sail the Range races in Div 1.

But wait there is more, the Range series races are also SYC Aggregate races, so the DK is sailing in the SYC Aggregate in 2 separate divisions, scoring in both, but totally incapable of placing in the SYC aggregate overall.

Hang on, the SYC aggregate races are also the Trophy Races, so now the DK is sailing in Div 1 in clear air with the next biggest boats being Benny 44.7's. So guess who won the Commodores Trophy the first SYC Trophy Race in IRC?

Oh, but wait the reason the DK is entering in Div 1 in SYC aggregates is to prove a point? and what would that be exactly???

Thank you very much Mister Ex-Commodore.

If the Div 0 boats can elect to sail in Div 1 in the SYC aggregate races when ever they feel like it and totally stuff up the Div 1 scoring for an entire season, then I should be able to enter my RP36 in SYC Div 2 aggregate races and sail against Elliot 970's, Farr 1020's etc. and potentially win a lot of trophies.

But wait there is more, the Range series races are also SYC Aggregate races, so the DK is sailing in the SYC Aggregate in 2 separate divisions, scoring in both, but totally incapable of placing in the SYC aggregate overall.

Hang on, the SYC aggregate races are also the Trophy Races, so now the DK is sailing in Div 1 in clear air with the next biggest boats being Benny 44.7's. So guess who won the Commodores Trophy the first SYC Trophy Race in IRC?

Oh, but wait the reason the DK is entering in Div 1 in SYC aggregates is to prove a point? and what would that be exactly???

Hmmmmmmmm . . . . . . them's fightin' words !!!

Didn't someone say that Div O got a longer cource ? That being the case , maybe the handicapper got it right ?

No.

Div 1 sailed the same course as Div 0 in the first Range race. Div 1 started 5 minutes later than Div 0.

Because the 40 footer rates the same as the 46 footer that should of raced in div 0. They did the right thing.

im going with don on this one...

but why is a 40footer racing in a div 0 fleet :P ?

Pretty simple really, its because it rates like a 45 footer and from reports so far, including yours, goes like 45 footer too.

Don, I agree totally with you. Looks like most owners want better racing, whilst just one wants to win trophies all the time even if it means sailing against smaller boats. YV and SYC should be applauded for introducing Div 0, as it seems to provide better fairer racing for all boats, including those now in Div 1. Maybe the answer is to have a Div 0 SYC aggregate and also make Div 0 eligible for trophies.

To prove a point? I call BullShit!!! Its a purely commercial exercise. He has a history of changing over his boats quite frequently. This one has a pretty ordinary performance record so he's gotta do something to make it look good for some sucker to wanna buy it!

Don, I agree totally with you. Looks like most owners want better racing, whilst just one wants to win trophies all the time even if it means sailing against smaller boats. YV and SYC should be applauded for introducing Div 0, as it seems to provide better fairer racing for all boats, including those now in Div 1. Maybe the answer is to have a Div 0 SYC aggregate and also make Div 0 eligible for trophies.

12. PRIZES.

Prizes will be awarded for first place in each race of the Series as follows. These will be presented in the

Clubhouse after each race.

YV AMS IRC

Division 0 yes

Division 1 yes yes yes

Division 2 yes yes yes

Division 3 yes yes yes

Series and trophy winners will have their inscriptions added to the respective perpetual trophies and will be

awarded a memento trophy. Trophies will be presented at the end of the series. Perpetual trophies shall

remain in the clubhouse for display in the trophy cabinet. Perpetual trophies will not be awarded to winners

in Division 0.

Must be desperate for a YV glass :P

Maybe they should just ban trophies. :huh: - then the only reason to sail for those guys is a good race against other perhaps similar boats.

Clusterfuck.

It has ever been thus!

You should think yourselves lucky at least there's the foresight to seperate the fleet even if it has a few probs teething- in WA we just had the Freo>Gero 200 or so nm with 15 boats in Div 1 & only 3 in Div 2. D1: 66 foot Syrenka down to a Mumm30. D2: Benny 34.7, S&S 34, Swarbrick 32 (I think) sporty thing. The divisional split is about the same or worse for the other 8 'Siska Trophy' races from which the overall offshore champion is decided. But this is the best bit:

the winner is 'the most outstanding yacht' -taken from either division in either IRC or PHS! Its decided by a comittee and is fairly ridiculous, 2 of the last 3 years won by a div 2 boat! (not to detract from their performance- they sailed really well, but cmon, its a bit silly)

To make matters worse an effort to even-up the divisions last year saw at least 2 solid performers spit the dummy and no longer come out to play, making the dwindling fleet even poorer.

At least you guys have a decent fleet, WA is rolling in cash but all we see are dozens of new Riv 55s and other such sad wastes of materials. Get on the commitees & fix your minor problems, stop wingeing and enjoy your sailing in a healthy, competitive fleet!

t

You should think yourselves lucky at least there's the foresight to seperate the fleet even if it has a few probs teething- in WA we just had the Freo>Gero 200 or so nm with 15 boats in Div 1 & only 3 in Div 2. D1: 66 foot Syrenka down to a Mumm30. D2: Benny 34.7, S&S 34, Swarbrick 32 (I think) sporty thing. The divisional split is about the same or worse for the other 8 'Siska Trophy' races from which the overall offshore champion is decided. But this is the best bit:

the winner is 'the most outstanding yacht' -taken from either division in either IRC or PHS! Its decided by a comittee and is fairly ridiculous, 2 of the last 3 years won by a div 2 boat! (not to detract from their performance- they sailed really well, but cmon, its a bit silly)

To make matters worse an effort to even-up the divisions last year saw at least 2 solid performers spit the dummy and no longer come out to play, making the dwindling fleet even poorer.

At least you guys have a decent fleet, WA is rolling in cash but all we see are dozens of new Riv 55s and other such sad wastes of materials. Get on the commitees & fix your minor problems, stop wingeing and enjoy your sailing in a healthy, competitive fleet!

t

I wouldn't call it wingeing but a healthy bitch session a sign of a healthy fleet.

Not to Hijack the thread, but......

I'm a New Yorker in Melbourne for business Monday November 12th. And yes I should be doing business, but I would rather go sailing.

Is there any yachting on Mondays? How can I get a ride?

I'm an owner and can do most jobs, not particularly well, but do them just the same.

Cheers!

Todd

I wouldn't call it wingeing but a healthy bitch session a sign of a healthy fleet.

true enough, just jealous really ;)

t

Ok boys, Stanley race is a little over a week away. All the big names look like starting, so who's going to win on:

Line Honors?

IRC?

TP52 double as the race is usually a reach.

shit!....the TP to beat Skanky on line??? or do you know some thing we don't elfy :P

Thats only if the halyard clips don't let go (again!) :o

Watch for the Doll, she bites!

What about the Volvo, or doesn't that race all the time?

Any of you Ausis know why there isn't any Cookson 50's on the entry list to the 2007 Sydney to Hobart.

Where is Living Doll, Quantum, and the others? Thanks

Thats only if the halyard clips don't let go (again!) :o

Watch for the Doll, she bites!

Told ya!

Good to see the Doll hand the bigger Cougar its arse on a plate at Sandy yesterday. Shit boat handling and a stuck halyard only compounded a really bad missed shift on the last run which saw the Doll chew up a good lead and head Cougs around the leeward mark. The TP 52 came in hot on Dolls heels at the leeward mark with a late drop and fucked it up royally with the chute stuck at the top while the Doll sailed away to a clear 2min win on line. Last week their chute wouldn't stay up and this week it wouldn't come down. Having a fast boat ain't always enough. A course in remedial boat handling might be in order :lol:

however how the hell do you end up with a general recall with only 6 boats on the line?!!!

I was wondering the same thing, and the RC gave them time to cruise before going into the First Substitute.

However they managed to single us and Alibi as OCS in the Div 1 start!

Rossco warned me that a fixed sprit was going to cause headaches!!!

I know the courses need re-evaluation with the inclusion of Div 0, as the Div 1 course took a total of 90 minutes - hardly worth leaving the pen for.

I was wondering the same thing, and the RC gave them time to cruise before going into the First Substitute.

However they managed to single us and Alibi as OCS in the Div 1 start!

Rossco warned me that a fixed sprit was going to cause headaches!!!

I know the courses need re-evaluation with the inclusion of Div 0, as the Div 1 course took a total of 90 minutes - hardly worth leaving the pen for.

You were not recorded as OCS on the Sandy result sheets when I saw them a few minutes ago. Maybe your "appendage" is not as long as you think. :o

You were not recorded as OCS on the Sandy result sheets when I saw them a few minutes ago. Maybe your "appendage" is not as long as you think

We were called OCS, and returned to restart over 2 minutes late, Alibi did not return.

As for appendage size, I believe in quality not quantity.

We were called OCS, and returned to restart over 2 minutes late, Alibi did not return.

As for appendage size, I believe in quality not quantity.

Perhaps girth over length eh Don ;)

So Random 101, what the verdict on Chutzy?

evryone happy with the boat?

And anyone got any more news on the new Flirt . . . . launch date or new photos ????

After seeing some of the rot/shit strirring a few of my mates (e.g. Mr Paradox of Thrift and Giddy Up) have stuck on this website, I thought it would just be a whole lot easier to become a member (or newbie is it?) and answer some of the posts myself. I may rue the day but what the hell, sometimes its better to face the music front on. Just so we are all clear, I am Chris Dare owner of the old Flirt (now Limit) and new Flirt, not some impersonator.

To answer your question the new boat is currently being painted and fitted out at Steve Campbell's Composite Constructions shed in Moorabbin and we are hoping to be ready for launch in the first week of December, which is right on the promised delivery date. Bart from NZ Rigging will be over on the week of December 10th for the mast tuning and we hope to be involved, albiet very cautiously, in the last SYC race before Xmas before a shit load of training in preparation for our campaign next year. Steve and his guys have done a great job biulding the boat and like any owner of a new toy, I am pretty excited about the boat and the way she looks, and I hope when she is launched many of you will think so also.

Have a good one.

CD

After seeing some of the rot/shit strirring a few of my mates (e.g. Mr Paradox of Thrift and Giddy Up) have stuck on this website, I thought it would just be a whole lot easier to become a member (or newbie is it?) and answer some of the posts myself. I may rue the day but what the hell, sometimes its better to face the music front on. Just so we are all clear, I am Chris Dare owner of the old Flirt (now Limit) and new Flirt, not some impersonator.

To answer your question the new boat is currently being painted and fitted out at Steve Campbell's Composite Constructions shed in Moorabbin and we are hoping to be ready for launch in the first week of December, which is right on the promised delivery date. Bart from NZ Rigging will be over on the week of December 10th for the mast tuning and we hope to be involved, albiet very cautiously, in the last SYC race before Xmas before a shit load of training in preparation for our campaign next year. Steve and his guys have done a great job biulding the boat and like any owner of a new toy, I am pretty excited about the boat and the way she looks, and I hope when she is launched many of you will think so also.

Have a good one.

CD

No mate - I am Chris Dare - who are you really?

No mate - I am Chris Dare - who are you really?

Ha Ha got ya......Like my Alias do ya Thrift??

Will the real Chris Dare please stand up !

Ha Ha got ya......Like my Alias do ya Thrift??

Will the real Chris Dare please stand up !

I'm Chris Dare

I'm Chris Dare

No I am !!

I tell ya what...If there's 4 Chris Dares on SA then that must mean we will have alot of Flirts this Summer ! b :rolleyes:

Hey John,

Nice design fella...sure looks quick. know doubt it will be.

GU

Have a good one.

CD

Chris Dare or not, thanks for the update

Chris, expect an invoice from Don in the near future.

It will read;

"For services rendered in the re programming of one bow person."

He can now even read the time!

When Mickeys' big hand is on the 12 :P

Chris, expect an invoice from Don in the near future.

It will read;

"For services rendered in the re programming of one bow person."

He can now even read the time!

When Mickeys' big hand is on the 12 :P

Rossco, I'll add it to the very, very, very long list of invoices I already have. Does the reprogramming come with a warranty??

CD

Does the reprogramming come with a warranty??

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

choke, cough, glup, snicker, snicker.

Skandia takes line honours in the Stanley Race - no real surprise there. Noticed that Chutzie spat the dummy not long after the start and went home. Teething problems or personnel issues???

To quote Mr Wolf from Pulp Fiction....post-13013-1189641426.jpg

"Lets not go sucking each others dicks just yet"

I think they can if they want now,great effort in the Stanley race, picked the right side of the track worked hard the whole race and was unlucky not hold off Shogun in the last mile as the sheets where cracked in a reach to the line, the Rogers catching wave to get on their hip in pretty wild conditions and surf past at the death.

The Shogun crew gave them a well deserved round off applause when they motored into basin to tie up, then enjoyed a few cold ones in the shed with them in the wee hours.

i thought i heard on the radio just as i was heading for my first sleep that chutzpah pulled out because of the conditions (which were not bad the first night)

may have been hearing things though...

i thought i heard on the radio just as i was heading for my first sleep that chutzpah pulled out because of the conditions (which were not bad the first night)

They must have broken somthing, Bruce Taylor is not the kind of person to turn around because of the conditions. He also had a rock star crew onboard for the race.

They must have broken somthing, Bruce Taylor is not the kind of person to turn around because of the conditions. He also had a rock star crew onboard for the race.

Forestay - well that's what it looked like going out the head...lucky the rig held up..I reckon his Heady luff might be a bit stretched.

So let me get this right

Getting in to an F1 car and only saying you can idle at 10km/h, and sailing through Port Phillip Heads in conditions you don't like with a crewmember with a sprained ankle, a broken winch, a broken forestay and a stretched headsail. :lol:

Does anyone really know the reason :P

So let me get this right

Getting in to an F1 car and only saying you can idle at 10km/h, and sailing through Port Phillip Heads in conditions you don't like with a crewmember with a sprained ankle, a broken winch, a broken forestay and a stretched headsail. :lol:

they forgot to put ice in the esky so the beer was getting warm?

So let me get this right

Yes, the main halyard slipped, so they started grinding it back up, and the winch went kaboom!

From someone onboard.

CD, what's your thoughts on the rating for the new machine ??? (And 1.032 will not cut it)

I've been away so sorry for the delay. It certainly won't be 1.032 (I wish), nor will it be 1.315

All I'd say is that both John Corby and I were happy with the trials we ran and thought the trial rating was pretty fair and consistent with what anyone would have expected. I can confirm that the boat will rate higher than the old boat but lower than a TP52.

First Sleep?....you got sleep? and more than once????

I've gotta get on a Super Maxi !

I've been away so sorry for the delay. It certainly won't be 1.032 (I wish), nor will it be 1.315

All I'd say is that both John Corby and I were happy with the trials we ran and thought the trial rating was pretty fair and consistent with what anyone would have expected. I can confirm that the boat will rate higher than the old boat but lower than a TP52.

Sounds good fella

After seeing some of the rot/shit strirring a few of my mates (e.g. Mr Paradox of Thrift and Giddy Up)

what shit / Rot? :rolleyes:

Yes, the main halyard slipped, so they started grinding it back up, and the winch went kaboom!

From someone onboard.

Lewmar, according to those photos. We used to blow pawls in halyard winches at least once per race (win-lee etc on a 50 footer, didn't seem to like high speed tailing). Became v.good at replaceing them on the go, prepared a special kit of pawls, springs etc for the job, easily done in a minute or two. Pain in the ring tho, next boat Harken- more bits but less broken pawls.

t

From someone onboard.

That's it?

One cabin top winch fails and end of race?

Surely there is more to it

From someone onboard.

This may seem pretty extreme, apparently they do it on the volvo boats!!! but...... put it on the other cabin top winch?!?!?

This may seem pretty extreme, apparently they do it on the volvo boats!!! but...... put it on the other cabin top winch?!?!?

main halyard might go out to a primary?

main halyard might go out to a primary?

that's what I heard. But if your halyard was slipping then why wouldn't you leave it on a Cabin top winch for the next 160mile

But if your halyard was slipping then why wouldn't you leave it on a Cabin top winch for the next 160mile

Not sure, but Chutzpah may have the main halyard exiting from the mast inside the cabin.

If that's the case, there is no way they could lead it to a cabin winch.

If one of the primary winches blew, then I think they made a very wise decision pulling out when they did considering the conditions they would have encountered.

Melbourne? Royal Brighton Yacht Club? Anybody know a bloke called Brian McKain (not sure of the spelling but that's how it sounds) with wife Marg who lived and got married in Canada about 35 years ago? Was a member of RBYC.

Still around?

Melbourne? Royal Brighton Yacht Club? Anybody know a bloke called Brian McKain (not sure of the spelling but that's how it sounds) with wife Marg who lived and got married in Canada about 35 years ago? Was a member of RBYC.

Still around?

Have a few contacts there but would help to know approx how old he was 35 years ago?

on a bit of a tangent...BUT....does anyone know the story behind the jib and mast that are/were wrapped around one of the west channel markers?! saw it on the way home on sunday, looked to be from something in about 25 odd feet....

on a bit of a tangent...BUT....does anyone know the story behind the jib and mast that are/were wrapped around one of the west channel markers?! saw it on the way home on sunday, looked to be from something in about 25 odd feet....

took a photo of it . The Tasker furler was looking very sorry draped out as a shade cloth. When talking to Coast radio Melb they reported that it sunk on Saturday in the storm...or was it rum front?

Range race 2

Team Dekadence got up for a bullet today...well done Coombsy and Co

Yacht Skipper - Finish -Elapsed -ETP -HCap -Corr. Time

DEKADENCE -16:30:40 - 150.667 -6- 1.202 -181.101

LIVING DOLL - 16:20:29 -140.483- 2 -1.303 -183.05

COUGAR II - 16:16:35- 136.583 -1 -1.343- 183.431

CHUTZPAH - 16:33:46 -153.767- 8 -1.199- 184.366

SHOGUN - 16:25:56 -145.933- 4 -1.267 -184.898

RUSH - 16:31:04 -151.067 -7 -1.226- 185.208

EXTASEA - 16:35:33 -155.55 -9 -1.201- 186.816

TERRA FIRMA - 16:38:15 -158.25 -10- 1.184- 187.368

GEORGIA - 16:22:13- 142.217 -3 -1.318- 187.442