dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

What are some suggestions to revitalise it? I've only sailed out of Sandy (and Melb) the last 5 years so missed it's relatively glory years, was it a different format?

The Association Cup goes back decades and was once the major inter-club event on the Bay with nearly every Club affiliated with the VYC (now YV) represented in the fleet. In the 70s and 80's, if you weren't selected by your own Club, owners would ring around and form teams to sail for one of the smaller clubs so Port Melbourne YC, Williamstown Sailing Club, Elwood, Hampton (VLYC) SC, Chelsea, Black Rock, Beaumaris, Blairgowrie, Mornington, Geelong, the Ocean Racing Club and others were often among the competing teams. We once represented Sorrento in our winged Sportscar with the twin Inglis 47s Scavenger and Vendetta in a performance handicap team. The earlier two day nature of the event often meant a raft up at the conducting club for many of the visiting competitors and the resultant partying was legendary with resultant diminished performances for some on the Sunday. I still bear scars from one such mis-spent evening.

In those days there were 3 divisions of 3 boats plus a reserve in IOR, JOG and VYC Performance handicaps and there were many more Clubs participating so the combined fleet was quite large. Obviously some of those scratch teams were not seriously competitive but many of them were and the racing was always keenly contested.Some Clubs even held selection trials for their Association Cup teams. I can remember in the late 70's sailing down from St Kilda on a Saturday and again on the Sunday to race in the Association Cup at Black Rock Y C who had won it with a composite team.

Rating divisions in IOR, JOG, Channel Handicap, IMS and YV Performance have come and gone over the years and the fleet has very much declined in numbers as has been seen right across sailing in general.

The Association Cup is historically too important to allow it to stagnate and fade away - It needs a freshen up to attract the interest of new competitors and bring back old ones - sailors and Clubs.

So what to do? - Numbers of participating teams have been disappointing in recent years so it would be good to see more clubs involved again to elevate the event maybe not the dinghy - only clubs but many senior keel boat clubs don't participate any more and really should be involved. AMS and IRC boats are around in sufficient numbers to make many more viable teams than are now participating.

Sailing has changed a lot in the ensuing years with many more pressures on skippers, crews and families. We are nearly all time-poor and weekends away sailing are necessarily rare. With the changing of the guard brought about by Sandringham's recent win, its a good opportunity to take a look at this event with fresh eyes and with a view to moving it forward and building it to the prestige status level it once enjoyed on the Bay.

Love to hear what others think.

The Association Cup goes back decades and was once the major inter-club event on the Bay with nearly every Club affiliated with the VYC (now YV) represented in the fleet. In the 70s and 80's, if you weren't selected by your own Club, owners would ring around and form teams to sail for one of the smaller clubs so Port Melbourne YC, Williamstown Sailing Club, Elwood, Hampton (VLYC) SC, Chelsea, Black Rock, Beaumaris, Blairgowrie, Mornington, Geelong, the Ocean Racing Club and others were often among the competing teams. We once represented Sorrento in our winged Sportscar with the twin Inglis 47s Scavenger and Vendetta in a performance handicap team. The earlier two day nature of the event often meant a raft up at the conducting club for many of the visiting competitors and the resultant partying was legendary with resultant diminished performances for some on the Sunday. I still bear scars from one such mis-spent evening.

In those days there were 3 divisions of 3 boats plus a reserve in IOR, JOG and VYC Performance handicaps and there were many more Clubs participating so the combined fleet was quite large. Obviously some of those scratch teams were not seriously competitive but many of them were and the racing was always keenly contested.Some Clubs even held selection trials for their Association Cup teams. I can remember in the late 70's sailing down from St Kilda on a Saturday and again on the Sunday to race in the Association Cup at Black Rock Y C who had won it with a composite team.

Rating divisions in IOR, JOG, Channel Handicap, IMS and YV Performance have come and gone over the years and the fleet has very much declined in numbers as has been seen right across sailing in general.

The Association Cup is historically too important to allow it to stagnate and fade away - It needs a freshen up to attract the interest of new competitors and bring back old ones - sailors and Clubs.

So what to do? - Numbers of participating teams have been disappointing in recent years so it would be good to see more clubs involved again to elevate the event maybe not the dinghy - only clubs but many senior keel boat clubs don't participate any more and really should be involved. AMS and IRC boats are around in sufficient numbers to make many more viable teams than are now participating.

Sailing has changed a lot in the ensuing years with many more pressures on skippers, crews and families. We are nearly all time-poor and weekends away sailing are necessarily rare. With the changing of the guard brought about by Sandringham's recent win, its a good opportunity to take a look at this event with fresh eyes and with a view to moving it forward and building it to the prestige status level it once enjoyed on the Bay.

Love to hear what others think.

Maybe a division(s) for OD, all Melbourne and Geelong keel boat clubs have Syd 38's except RMYS, not sure if all clubs have J24 & S80? Super 11 seems to be getting some traction, add them as well + IRC & AMS.

HP30 Class having first regatta in a weeks time in the UK

Some footage of the new T980 "Martini Racing "

Downwind

Not fast with that dude standing on the bow for all that time before the douse :(

Yep for the whole minute . and yet still faster than every boat except the rp46 in the race

Nice smack down.

Yep for the whole minute . and yet still faster than every boat except the rp46 in the race

Nice smack down.

Smack down or not, unnecessary weight on the bow for a minute before the douse when a few seconds is all that is required is still slow. Apart from JAMHU on L Plates, what else did you beat?

Faster to be up there ready, prepared & wait for last second to drop than rush up there on a moments notice & slip over of otherwise fuck up, start going uphill & the kites not fully down etc.

+ the decision to send the bowman forward for the drop usually involves some indecisiveness from the back of the bus - don't blame the bowman.

Why not? Hanging around on the pointy end unnecessarily is just attention seeking behaviour :-)

Truth of the matter is. A disicion to get rid of the kite was called as we were low of the mark then held for an extra couple of boat lengths as the breeze had swung allowing for a later drop on the mark Easy really. And all in a minute

Which part of this don't you get? Hanging around on the bow of a boat like that is slow, period! You go to the bow and do your job only when needed, otherwise keep the fuck off and let the bow lift = more speed. Thommo would tell you in no uncertain terms he didn't design that excellent hull shape to be immersed with a dead weight on the nose. For most of your video your bow bloke is doing fuck all, just hanging around with his weight in the wrong place for too long. Sail like that with some real competition and they will blow right past you.

Not dissing the boat at all, I have always rated that design highly and have sailed on the original T980s. L'il Jac / now DE here and in WA and Gladiator / now S'car in Sydney and on Lake MacQ.

The upgrades Tony has made bring an already great design forward a long way and that's great - recycling is a good thing!

I understand some of the changes,particularly the rig and sail plan were made with AMS rating in mind....but your kites look a bit small.

Gladiator bursting across Lake MacQ with her biggest bag up at a steady 24 knots with the whole crew stacked behind the helmsman was an awesome sight back in the day, just sayin'.

Which part of this don't you get? Hanging around on the bow of a boat like that is slow, period! You go to the bow and do your job only when needed, otherwise keep the fuck off and let the bow lift = more speed. Thommo would tell you in no uncertain terms he didn't design that excellent hull shape to be immersed with a dead weight on the nose. For most of your video your bow bloke is doing fuck all, just hanging around with his weight in the wrong place for too long. Sail like that with some real competition and they will blow right past you.

Not dissing the boat at all, I have always rated that design highly and have sailed on the original T980s. L'il Jac / now DE here and in WA and Gladiator / now S'car in Sydney and on Lake MacQ.

The upgrades Tony has made bring an already great design forward a long way and that's great - recycling is a good thing!

I understand some of the changes,particularly the rig and sail plan were made with AMS rating in mind....but your kites look a bit small.

Gladiator bursting across Lake MacQ with her biggest bag up at a steady 24 knots with the whole crew stacked behind the helmsman was an awesome sight back in the day, just sayin'.

Dark Energy Here in WA????

Hasn't been here for a while... And I'm sure when it was I saw the bowman on the bow way too long 99% of the time..

Glass houses mate.. Glass houses.

Hahaha. My point exactly - Janet was far too nice to her crew on DE. Hopes on Gladiator was a whole lot less nice and weight too far forward was abruptly removed.

But it doesn't matter who it is - unnecessary weight on the bow downwind on any boat like that is always slow.

Hahaha. My point exactly - Janet was far too nice to her crew on DE. Hopes on Gladiator was a whole lot less nice and weight too far forward was abruptly removed.

But it doesn't matter who it is - unnecessary weight on the bow downwind on any boat like that is always slow.

You may even be right LP but for fucks sake, give it a rest.

No comparison. He went and did what he needed to do and fucked off out of there fast, probably with Rays words ringing in his ears.

Your bow bloke set up camp and parked there and his weight would have had a much more detrimental effect on a 33fter than that of the Kiwi guy on the 52.

Geeze LP, is your bowman a fat fuck with a stash of Tim Tams taped to the mast?

No soup for you!

Wow. You seem to know a lot more than the average sailor. Are you professional?

Hi LP,

Zeus made the effort of videoing a yacht and uploading it. It is really annoying to have people dive in and critique it like it is a Formula 1 team and deadly critical to win at all costs.

I like watching videos of other people's boats. If we hang shit on every little mistake, nobody will bother to post them, which sucks for all of us.

Thanks Zeus, keep it coming!

really coundnt give two fucks what LP thinks

Im proud to sail and help put together a boat that is completely built in Melbourne and supporting the Melbourne marine industry .

If more people were like Tony the owner of Martini Racing and AC marine the sailing scene in Melb would be in a lot better state than it currently is .

Tony also came up with the concept of super 11 .

Applied Composites

Doyle Sails Melbourne

Kelly Marine

Ronstan international

AC marine

All used by Martini Racing

Thank you for supporting local business Tony

Wow. You seem to know a lot more than the average sailor. Are you professional?

Of course he is..just ask him

Vale Fred Warner, great bloke, awesome sailor. Crewman from the legendary Police Car in the Admirals Cup and many other great boats, I first knew Fred as bowman on Terry Grundy's Peterson 30 Half Tonner Casablanca in 1976-77 when my father owned a similar Peterson 30 HT. Fred always took time to offer friendly, well considered advice back then and always enjoyed the opportunity to chat out to chat whenever we caught up around the boat yards we both frequented. I will miss him.

Now reunited with his great mate Whale, they formed an awesome sailing partnership back in the day.

ORCV Winter Series starts on Sunday.

Entry List here: http://www.orcv.org.au/index.php/online-entry-winter

20 race div boats plus a few cruisers with a separate start, I guess that's not a bad roll up in these austere times.

Rug up dudes and dudettes, it won't be all that warm out there early on Sunday morning.

I guess they will have the annual flare shoot before the first race start? Brought to you by the nice folks at ORCV so you won't have to go to soccer matches to get rid of them.

Does anyone have details on where Simply Fun is going?

Does anyone have details on where Simply Fun is going?

Just maintenance... mostly.

New bulb (lighter and smaller) is the major piece of work and a general tickle up with a jobs list a mile long.

Gook luck BA and Co.

Mex

How does the new bulb compare to other HH42s Mex, have they gone lighter as well or is this what you guys feel is best for the boat?

From memory (which is never a good thing), the new bulb for SF will be 450 kgs lighter than the original. I believe the HK based HH42 has gone with a 600 kg reduction from the original design.

If you were to have a HH42 built today i believe the bulb weight would be 500+ kgs lighter than the original design (depending on where you plan to sail). The hull form provides a huge amount of stability and hence the opportunity to go with a lighter bulb.

If you thought we were fast downwind over winter just wait for 20+ knots of breeze this summer!

Cheers

Mex

From memory (which is never a good thing), the new bulb for SF will be 450 kgs lighter than the original. I believe the HK based HH42 has gone with a 600 kg reduction from the original design.

If you were to have a HH42 built today i believe the bulb weight would be 500+ kgs lighter than the original design (depending on where you plan to sail). The hull form provides a huge amount of stability and hence the opportunity to go with a lighter bulb.

If you thought we were fast downwind over winter just wait for 20+ knots of breeze this summer!

Cheers

Mex

Cool news for the Coombsmobile, Vinyl hull wrap looks a bit tatty now so that needs a tidy up. Consequence of hitting flotsam at high speed?

Who is doing the keel mods and tickle up?

Cheers

Mex

Cool news for the Coombsmobile, Vinyl hull wrap looks a bit tatty now so that needs a tidy up. Consequence of hitting flotsam at high speed?

450Kg lighter bulb would be about 8 to 10% overall displacement reduction?? How much will that affect her ratings?

Cheers

Mex

No keel mods. Simply a new bulb. Plug and play!

Cheers

Mex

450Kg lighter bulb would be about 8 to 10% overall displacement reduction?? How much will that affect her ratings?

Not much supposedly. I'm told that there have been a few significant changes in IRC which help faster boats. Light wt not penalized as much, no penalty for fabricated steel keel fins as apposed to cast steel and less of a penalty for low rocker (stern overhang and y measurement). Most of the first generation Fast 40+ boats have gone or are going to lighter deeper keels.

Hi Rawhide,

Do you have any more details on the IRC changes? How did you hear? Is it a published announcement?

Cheers.

Hi Rawhide,

Do you have any more details on the IRC changes? How did you hear? Is it a published announcement?

Cheers.

Nothing published that I know of, currently talking to Jason Ker (and others who are ahead on the curve) about a development program for my Ker40.

Thanks. I'm currently (trying) to talk to Jason about his new 46+. Good luck!

Patrice has just had a new keel designed by Jason. Not sure if it's fitted yet, but reduces boat weight by a lot!

Super 11 fleet (9 boats on the line) had a great time.

Super 11 fleet (9 boats on the line) had a great time.

You guys didn't get much of a mention in the write up about the day's racing...

Mex

Div 0 disappeared entirely and the Div 1 fleet reduced to just 12 boats in the first race of the 2016/17 CMS = WTF?

What are all the mega-ego big-boat hot shots sailing now?

Missing in action would be Terra Firma (up in Sydney), Hartbreaker (?), Simply Fun (on the hard getting a bit of pre-S2H love) and Veloce (for sale?). Primitive Cool was racing on the weekend.

Only two IRC 0 fifty footers now active (at times) on the bay.

Mex

Div 0 disappeared entirely and the Div 1 fleet reduced to just 12 boats in the first race of the 2016/17 CMS = WTF?

From the bar, and when everyone comes in from the water they can be heard mumbling "I wouldn't have done it like that" But before they can elaborate on what should have been the correct procedure for a mexican float drop going 5 deep into the bottom mark, they scurry out the door because they are still on the payroll of their former big boat owner and have to mow their lawns before the Sunday BBQ with afternoon croquet session.

Meanwhile the regular punters who have stood at that same bar spot for the last 40 years are heard to say what a top fucking day, how's that clusterfuck going into the bottom mark 5 deep, that'll put lead in your pencil, it sure beats staying home mowing the lawns...

Missing in action would be Terra Firma (up in Sydney), Hartbreaker (?), Simply Fun (on the hard getting a bit of pre-S2H love) and Veloce (for sale?). Primitive Cool was racing on the weekend.

Only two IRC 0 fifty footers now active (at times) on the bay.

Mex

Scratch another one Mex. Veloce sold according to the brokers site. Has been in Sydney for a while now anyway.

As for PC and Hand Braker, now that's really scraping the bottom of the big boat barrel.How the mighty have fallen.

Div 2 , as usual, is where the real action is. Super 11 is the new buzz and would have to be the best sailing initiative on the Bay in many years.

Have to agree with you LP.

The Super 11 fleet had a ball, and the guys on Joust are bloody hard to beat. Just remember Rod and crew finished 7th out of 14 at the latest worlds in a chartered boat. That is damned good, so Joust makes a great benchmark.

I see they're pushing hard on line for Festival of Sails 2017 entries. To those of you who forward booked your accomm for the 2017 event when you checked out of your regular acomm in January 2016, as has been common practice for decades, the change of regatta dates that the rgyc organisers have since dropped on you has created a major fuck-up - best of luck changing your accomm to the new dates when you find those new dates are locked out for you!

I see they're pushing hard on line for Festival of Sails 2017 entries. To those of you who forward booked your accomm for the 2017 event when you checked out of your regular acomm in January 2016, as has been common practice for decades, the change of regatta dates that the rgyc organisers have since dropped on you has created a major fuck-up - best of luck changing your accomm to the new dates when you find those new dates are locked out for you!

Dates that were changed to fit in with a fucking bicycle race

Where was XLR8 sold to?

Went to Sydney.

I heard it was to be converted into a twilight racer / harbour cruiser with powered winches. I guess there's worse ways to retire.

Mex

Where was XLR8 sold to?

Went to Sydney.

I heard it was to be converted into a twilight racer / harbour cruiser with powered winches. I guess there's worse ways to retire.

Mex

Has the old Infinity 3 (Farr 65) re-appeared yet?

Where was XLR8 sold to?

Went to Sydney.

Mex

Has the old Infinity 3 (Farr 65) re-appeared yet?

Sitting at RYCV, doesn't move much. Looks very tired.

From the bar, and when everyone comes in from the water they can be heard mumbling "I wouldn't have done it like that" But before they can elaborate on what should have been the correct procedure for a mexican float drop going 5 deep into the bottom mark, they scurry out the door because they are still on the payroll of their former big boat owner and have to mow their lawns before the Sunday BBQ with afternoon croquet session.

Meanwhile the regular punters who have stood at that same bar spot for the last 40 years are heard to say what a top fucking day, how's that clusterfuck going into the bottom mark 5 deep, that'll put lead in your pencil, it sure beats staying home mowing the lawns...

Fantastic!

Dates that were changed to fit in with a fucking bicycle race

Horror stories abound about much non availability for the regatta period and savage price gouging by Geelong area accommodation providers.

WARNING: Check it out first before you place your entries folks - YOU WONT GET YOUR ENTRY FEE BACK IF YOU CANT GET ACCOMM.

Plenty of sailing, and way cheaper Bundies, to be enjoyed elsewhere. Other clubs itching to run alternative regattas.

I am certain they would get plenty of support from the numerous disenchanted victims of RGYC greed in recent years.

Plenty of sailing, and way cheaper Bundies, to be enjoyed elsewhere. Other clubs itching to run alternative regattas.

I am certain they would get plenty of support from the numerous disenchanted victims of RGYC greed in recent years.

Good call, its about time the Geelong Regatta was exposed for what it really is - a giant dollar grabbing rip off of habitual yachty attendees who have become unwittingly attuned to absurd costs for accommodation and on-site refreshments at the increasingly corporate us-and-them event.

They lost me back when they encouraged local ferals to join in the fun. Don't know about the rest of you but I can do without their local 'flavour'. There are just enough fuck-wits in the sailing crowd without importing more of them in tattooed, toothless droves from the surrounding bogan infested populace. Where the fuck is Corio anyway?

Festering of Fails 2017 - Include me out.

I will, however, concede that watching the lurid antics of the bi-curious pseudo-lesbians at Lamby's was mildly titillating.

Here's a classic example from just a few years ago of some of the local class they let wander through their "family" regatta site:

post-13013-0-59380100-1476504351_thumb.jpg

Good call, its about time the Geelong Regatta was exposed for what it really is - a giant dollar grabbing rip off of habitual yachty attendees who have become unwittingly attuned to absurd costs for accommodation and on-site refreshments at the increasingly corporate us-and-them event.

They lost me back when they encouraged local ferals to join in the fun. Don't know about the rest of you but I can do without their local 'flavour'. There are just enough fuck-wits in the sailing crowd without importing more of them in tattooed, toothless droves from the surrounding bogan infested populace. Where the fuck is Corio anyway?

Festering of Fails 2017 - Include me out.

I will, however, concede that watching the lurid antics of the bi-curious pseudo-lesbians at Lamby's was mildly titillating.

Here's a classic example from just a few years ago of some of the local class they let wander through their "family" regatta site:

attachicon.gifGeelong 2011.JPG

Oh dear, that's charming indeed, best of luck explaining that one to the kiddies.

I agree with what you have said there Flatty, not to mention their regatta format sucks with many races run out in the boondocks, half way back to Melbourne instead of on the natural sailing amphitheater that is Corio Bay; always a great, if challenging, body of water on which to race.

It must be the weekend! Forecast for Port Phillip for the third Saturday in a row since the start of the new season is for 30 knot winds.

WTF is going on here?

some sort of conspiracy :angry:

Fuck you Trump, cut it out!

Trump doesn't blow, he just sucks

Nah, that was Monica.

Faarking windy here lately, with plenty more to come soon.

The forecast for the Queenscliff to Stanley race this weekend is speeding up compared to forecasts earlier in the week. Lots of reaching on the cards.

The trip home is looking a little feisty depending on when you leave...

Mex

The forecast for the Queenscliff to Stanley race this weekend is speeding up compared to forecasts earlier in the week. Lots of reaching on the cards. ....whimper...

The trip home is looking a little feisty depending on when you leave ... whimper...

Mex

The forecast for the Queenscliff to Stanley race this weekend is speeding up compared to forecasts earlier in the week. Lots of reaching on the cards. ....whimper...

The trip home is looking a little feisty depending on when you leave ... whimper...

Mex

Sorry Shags.

Although, 35 - 45 knots from WSW on Sunday arvo in Bass Strait is probably a bit rich...

Cheers

Mex

Congrats to the Fun machine for Line Honours in the ORCV Stanley Race. What an awesome performance from the Open 40 Lord Jiminy to be so close and just two-up, finishing ahead of the hapless Hartbreaker.

And now the fleet is faced with the classic scenario of a 150 mile return voyage across Bass Strait, up wind in gale force winds and horrendous seas.Lets hope wise heads prevail and prudent seamanship takes priority over the perceived need to get back home asap. Take care out there peoples, sit it out if you have to because we have lost way too many in that horror stretch of water already.

Great showing from Lord Jiminy.

Extasea is halfway back and might be ahead of the 45kt stuff. It will be a touch shitty out there however you carve it up but I wouldn't want to be bashing into the current northerly with them.

Also notice on MarineTraffic that Gusto turned right out of Port Phillip a couple of days ago. AIS has it sliding sideways at 10kts south of Port McDonnell. I don't think I'd want to be out there with them either. http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:141/centery:-38/zoom:7

Now looks like they're running before it; maybe rather than the forecast 15kt W they're feeling the 40kt W just behind it... Anyone know where's it's headed?

i don't see extasea on the chart - be pretty foolish to set off on a delivery in a well forecast - Northwest to westerly winds 20 to 30 knots increasing to 30 to 40 knots during the afternoon and evening with stronger squalls likely.

i don't see extasea on the chart - be pretty foolish to set off on a delivery in a well forecast - Northwest to westerly winds 20 to 30 knots increasing to 30 to 40 knots during the afternoon and evening with stronger squalls likely.

She's an hour out of the heads

Apparently Gusto is headed to Adelaide... looks like they didn't quite make it

She's an hour out of the heads

Apparently Gusto is headed to Adelaide... looks like they didn't quite make it

Yep - now thru the heads

Suppose Gusto ended up at Portland

Any idea how many boat are on their way back from Stanley at the moment? (Sunday night 9:40)

Not a good time to be out there.

Looks like problems for Simply Fun. Running away from the breeze at 5 knots. Forestay issues?

Hmmm...

Mex

Looks like problems for Simply Fun. Running away from the breeze at 5 knots. Forestay issues?

Hmmm...

Mex

Off to the Beauty Point Pub?

Hmmm...

Mex

Thought of asking someone onboard Mex? Surely you would have a phone number...

Simply Fun just out from Devonport 4 mins ago.(5:28pm)

Hmmm...

Mex

Thought of asking someone onboard Mex? Surely you would have a phone number...

Yeah, but they're all a bunch of pricks on board and would only be interested in leading me astray!

Mex

Simply Fun just out from Devonport 4 mins ago.(5:28pm)

Apparently it was a little lumpy so they tootled off to Devonport.

Overall, a good result for the Fun Machine. Well prepared, great reaching options in the sail wardrobe and some reasonable yachties on board.

After the keel mods no change in IRC and a small increase in AMS. Performance wise she felt very slippery.

Mex

You just have to hand it to IRC as a rating system, drop 500 kg off the bulb weight which is nigh on 10% of the boats displacement and the rating doesn't change.

You just have to hand it to IRC as a rating system, drop 500 kg off the bulb weight which is nigh on 10% of the boats displacement and the rating doesn't change.

You can hardly complain that they have finally stopped penalising light boats after years of sticking it to them. IRC has clearly got the message that if they continued advantaging the heavy shitters the top end would go to another rule.

Did someone order a wambulance?

You'd have to expect that dropping weight off the bulb will slow the boat upwind and reaching in over 10 knots of breeze due to reduced stability. Certainly an advantage down wind in most conditions. So, a zero rating change isn't a huge surprise...

Mex

You can hardly complain that they have finally stopped penalising light boats after years of sticking it to them. IRC has clearly got the message that if they continued advantaging the heavy shitters the top end would go to another rule.

IRC does not favour heavy boats - what a load of shit.

This

Never raced W/L?

gotta love IRC

You don't change the boat and your rating changes around you.

You change the boat and nothing changes.

Could be why Qld had 138 rated boats at the peak.

Qld now have about 28 to date this year.

Never raced W/L?

+1 Really isn't surprising that the bulb drop didn't change rating, like all single number measured ratings IRC TCC is a weighted average of performance across wind strengths and angles. SF will now be pretty useless upwind in any breeze - seems a strange mode decision given that they're doing S2H

gotta love IRC

You don't change the boat and your rating changes around you.

You change the boat and nothing changes.

Could be why Qld had 138 rated boats at the peak.

Qld now have about 28 to date this year.

And your alternative is ... ?