dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

If you think there no arbitrary content to AMS you are kidding yourself. It has been shown time and time again there is a fair bit of fiddly the numbers behind the scenes. Just because its cheap doesn't mean its good. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price.

Mumm 30's have won under IRC, you don't get a boat further into your corner of your own range than that. 40ft'ers Chutzpah goes pretty well under IRC for a lightweight 40. If we are talking Archambault 30-40 cruiser racers ........

yeah IRC seems to work for the FE28 too from what I've seen, but there's always going to be exceptions to the norm.

Since he chimed in, why doesn't it work for the likes of Don on Smoothie? That's about a lightweight 36'er as you'll find anywhere.

Or for something like a Thompson T980?

There's a reason those kind of lightweight boats seem to mostly play under AMS while IRC is full of medium/heavy cruiser racers in the 30-40 bracket.

Mumm 30's have won under IRC, you don't get a boat further into your corner of your own range than that. 40ft'ers Chutzpah goes pretty well under IRC for a lightweight 40. If we are talking Archambault 30-40 cruiser racers ........

yeah IRC seems to work for the FE28 too from what I've seen, but there's always going to be exceptions to the norm.

Since he chimed in, why doesn't it work for the likes of Don on Smoothie? That's about a lightweight 36'er as you'll find anywhere.

Or for something like a Thompson T980?

There's a reason those kind of lightweight boats seem to mostly play under AMS while IRC is full of medium/heavy cruiser racers in the 30-40 bracket.

An example:

Simply Fun (HH42): IRC 1.217 , AMS 1.069

Smooth Criminal (RP36): IRC 1.208 , AMS 1.021

The maths makes the decision simple.

The ability to "rate" a boat in all races, in any conditions, at any location, using any current measurement system is not possible.

HOWEVER

True "performance" rating will be possible in the not too distant future....watch this space!

If you think there no arbitrary content to AMS you are kidding yourself. It has been shown time and time again there is a fair bit of fiddly the numbers behind the scenes. Just because its cheap doesn't mean its good. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price.

+1 and if anyone at RQ wants a frank and honest assessment of AMS just ask Mark Buchbach.

Mumm 30s have won 25-30 knot downhill slides. Mixed conditions they are shagged compared to the w/l machines.

We've recently introduced ORCi club which seems to do as good a job as any rating system and at a cheap price

We've recently introduced ORCi club which seems to do as good a job as any rating system and at a cheap price

Cheap - really? What does an ORCi cert cost , including measurement ?

Sailing on Port Philip is the problem, cant race in 25 knots of breeze? WTF is this world coming too!

On Western Port 1st race of the season was abandoned 3/4 of the way through as breeze peaked at 40 knots.

2nd race completed in 30 plus knots of breeze.

3rd race completed.

Racing is only abandoned if there is a gale warning.

How can you expect people to go out and race in the ocean, when they aren't allowed to race in the bay in 25 knots of breeze? Its crap.

Sailing on Port Philip is the problem, cant race in 25 knots of breeze? WTF is this world coming too!

On Western Port 1st race of the season was abandoned 3/4 of the way through as breeze peaked at 40 knots.

3rd race completed.

How can you expect people to go out and race in the ocean, when they aren't allowed to race in the bay in 25 knots of breeze? Its crap.

There is a gale warning <_<

3rd race completed.

You can still go and practice in 25 knots plus, its just that the clubs can't have an organized race in that wind strength as their insurance wont cover them. Go for a sail so you can be prepared when you are in the ocean.

There are an increasing number of boats sailing on Port Phillip that are "bay" racing style designs, meaning they should not complete in "ocean" races. That is very different from sailing in the ocean.

Melbourne is positioned on a bay, and if you want to race in the ocean, the boat actually needs to be capable of "ocean" racing because once outside Port Phillip heads you are entering one of the most treacherous pieces of ocean water in the World.

To summarise, the bay sail type boats are generally designed with less stability, and are not built to race in more than 30 knots. If you own an ocean racing yacht and sail on Port Phillip as a bay racer ONLY, you have to accept that many of your competitors cannot SAFELY sail in gale force conditions and therefore the races must be abandoned.

However, there is nothing stopping you training for ocean races at any time. Tomorrow for example.

There are an increasing number of boats sailing on Port Phillip that are "bay" racing style designs, meaning they should not complete in "ocean" races. That is very different from sailing in the ocean.

Melbourne is positioned on a bay, and if you want to race in the ocean, the boat actually needs to be capable of "ocean" racing because once outside Port Phillip heads you are entering one of the most treacherous pieces of ocean water in the World.

To summarise, the bay sail type boats are inherently unstable in more than 30 knots. If you own an ocean racing yacht and sail on Port Phillip as a bay racer ONLY, you have to accept that many of your competitors cannot SAFELY sail in gale force conditions and therefore the races must be abandoned.

However, there is nothing stopping you training for ocean races at any time. Tomorrow for example.

Or 2am tonight if you want to be realistic

To summarise, the bay sail type boats are inherently unstable in more than 30 knots. If you own an ocean racing yacht and sail on Port Phillip as a bay racer ONLY, you have to accept that many of your competitors cannot SAFELY sail in gale force conditions and therefore the races must be abandoned.

Or 2am tonight if you want to be realistic

and the entire crew blindfolded

Melbourne big boat a thing of the past ,super 11 the future ,mind you over 25kts no show

+1 and if anyone at RQ wants a frank and honest assessment of AMS just ask Mark Buchbach.
He had a SMS issue not an AMS one ,but to be fair he raced the boat unmeasured or didn't remeasure for quite a time which highlighted the jump in rating he received .

To summarise, the bay sail type boats are generally designed with less stability, and are not built to race in more than 30 knots. If you own an ocean racing yacht and sail on Port Phillip as a bay racer ONLY, you have to accept that many of your competitors cannot SAFELY sail in gale force conditions and therefore the races must be abandoned.

Cool story, Bro!

3rd race completed.

You can still go and practice in 25 knots plus, its just that the clubs can't have an organized race in that wind strength as their insurance wont cover them. Go for a sail so you can be prepared when you are in the ocean.

I find it amusing that the wind limit for keel boats on Port Phillip is the same as the wind limit for off the beach dinghies (25Kts)

The port cygnet sailing club response to the bom dumming down forecasts or never sailing over 25 knots has been to mandate that the new upper wind limit is 31 knot average for the local area on MetEye.

Simple fix

The port cygnet sailing club response to the bom dumming down forecasts or never sailing over 25 knots has been to mandate that the new upper wind limit is 31 knot average for the local area on MetEye.

Simple fix

What's the fetch down in Port Ciggie?

DC, that was part of the problem with BOM issuing gale warning on weekends and Port Cygnet being protected from the west so great sailing breeze and flat water.

Plenty of " bay racers " sailing in 30 plus today and most carrying kites

Plenty - really? Only 23 out of 78 entrants chose to sail - in a 7 race series, I would say the fleet voted with their feet / hulls

78 entrants really ?

yeah mate - used to be around 150 not so long ago

Sailmakers day out

We made the start under jib only, to retire immediately. The mainsail shredded after the brand new 2 to 1 mainsail halyard block let go before the start boat was even on station about 30 minutes after the scheduled start.

I wasn't happy to be out there.

The notice to competitors issued on Friday stated "if a Gale warning is still current at that time racing will not proceed" the previous paragraph stated "will monitor conditions until 10:00am Saturday"

I received an SMS at 09:12am Saturday with the text "CMS IS going ahead today......", I then immediately checked the BOM site and the Gale warning was still current.

Also, there was no postponement flag flown on the official boat, given the scheduled start was 13:30 and the actual start around 14:10 I was expecting one.

Sailmakers day out

We made the start under jib only, to retire immediately. The mainsail shredded after the brand new 2 to 1 mainsail halyard block let go before the start boat was even on station about 30 minutes after the scheduled start.

The notice to competitors issued on Friday stated "if a Gale warning is still current at that time racing will not proceed" the previous paragraph stated "will monitor conditions until 10:00am Saturday"

I received an SMS at 09:12am Saturday with the text "CMS IS going ahead today......", I then immediately checked the BOM site and the Gale warning was still current.

I think only SYC competitors got that SMS. Shame about your main

Sailmakers day out

????????????????????

Is that true???????????

If so WHY???????????

Sailmakers day out

????????????????????

Is that true???????????

If so WHY???????????

Add to that the note on HBYC that says that due to the gale warning being replaced by storng wind warning, they were going to defer a decision until 10.30. and then the next item on the Club marine website was a racing is going ahead with a 0900 time stamp.

A cluster fuck.

I assume they didnt need an AP as they had a Change of instructions issued instead.

Sailmakers day out

????????????????????

Is that true???????????

If so WHY???????????

Add to that the note on HBYC that says that due to the gale warning being replaced by storng wind warning, they were going to defer a decision until 10.30. and then the next item on the Club marine website was a racing is going ahead with a 0900 time stamp.

A cluster fuck.

I assume they didnt need an AP as they had a Change of instructions issued instead.

Good point about SI change.

It was in writing time stamped 0900 and made available to competitors at their respective boating offices sometime after that. We left the berth at 12:40 for a 13:30 start, and were unaware of revised (second) NTC.

But the second NTC changing the start time was an amendment to the SI's and therefore Officials should still fly a postponement flag as there is no guarantee every crew will have received the late NTC.

An expensive couple of hours on the bay, regardless

SYC couldn't fly the Notice to Competitors flag because some dickhead drove his vehicle over one of the guy wires supporting the official flagpole near the Kenny King Centre and brought the whole thing down last week. They did fly the N over A Abandonment signal for their own club race off what looked like a broom handle.

SYC couldn't fly the Notice to Competitors flag because some dickhead drove his vehicle over one of the guy wires supporting the official flagpole near the Kenny King Centre and brought the whole thing down last week. They did fly the N over A Abandonment signal for their own club race off what looked like a broom handle.

That answers that question. Can hardly make out flags from out at the wave screen.

another saturday and another with breeze

some pretty big smiles on some of the quick rides downhill

I think we saw as much as 35 knots on our approach to Altona.

At least one jib found it's way into the bin back at SYC post racing.

Mex

We can add a headsail to the scrap heap. Unless the sailmakers take a warranty claim

When was the last time a regatta was run and the wrong boat declared the winner?

who was the winner - who is the real winner ?

<edit>

ikon

joust

If Div A and Div B started together in each race, the winner should be Top Gun from Div B.

I know a member who sent an email to Royals before the event recommending that the Lipton Cup be based on the most number of entries between AMS and IRC. No response was received from Royals to this email unfortunately!

Agree that Poco Loco was the best sailed boat of the regatta and it was a pity the Lipton Cup was not based on AMS being by far the most popular measurement based handicap system which also is kinder to the sports/racing yachts compared to IRC.

I think I understand why Div A and B were started together.

Because there were only 2 courses, a 2 lap and a 3 lap course, there was much less work involved combining the two fleets.

That is fine unless the start line is too short for the number of boats starting,... 29 instead of 15.

But regattas are all about the ROs, not the competitors.

Because there were only 2 courses, a 2 lap and a 3 lap course, there was much less work involved combining the two fleets.

That is fine unless the start line is too short for the number of boats starting,... 29 instead of 15.

As a NRO, it's my job to make sure my customers get what they are after. A clear start and a fair course. But I do most of my work north of you.

Spoken like someone who had a BFD.

I know a member who sent an email to Royals before the event recommending that the Lipton Cup be based on the most number of entries between AMS and IRC. No response was received from Royals to this email unfortunately!

Agree that Poco Loco was the best sailed boat of the regatta and it was a pity the Lipton Cup was not based on AMS being by far the most popular measurement based handicap system which also is kinder to the sports/racing yachts compared to IRC.

The overall winner has always been based on IRC as the premier (read world wide) measurement system.

The now premier rating system in Australia, if premier means weight of numbers, is AMS/SMS

You got that right.

race 1, start 1 where at least 8+ boats were OCS, so instead of thinking Hmmm, gee wiz Wally, you rekon the lines a bit short, Nah Dickie lets just throw up the Black Flag for the race 1, second start.

Just plain lazy and could not care less about the competitors after all, its all about the ROs here down south.

Don't believe me, just read the Sail-World article, its all about the "magical" ROs.

You got that right.

race 1, start 1 where at least 8+ boats were OCS, so instead of thinking Hmmm, gee wiz Wally, you rekon the lines a bit short, Nah Dickie lets just throw up the Black Flag for the race 1, second start.

Just plain lazy and could not care less about the competitors after all, its all about the ROs here down south.

Don't believe me, just read the Sail-World article, its all about the "magical" ROs.

Yeah whatever.

The now premier rating system in Australia, if premier means weight of numbers, is AMS/SMS

So the CYC will be using it to determine the results of the Sydney to Hobart?

Never said that Dave. NSW is the one state that doesn't have a big/much of a AMS fleet. They are more into recycling dead rules like IMS/ORCi, and lining the pockets of YA. And what has the S2H got to do with it?

Exactly, btw the first club in Qld has broken ranks and are going with AMS as well.

It is all about the cost!

Racing for the Club Marine Series will continue on Saturday the 3
rd
of November.
Two races are scheduled for Divisions Zero, One, Two and Three.
This notice will be posted to the YV web site and broadcast on
VHF 73 shortly after 1200hrs Saturday the 7
th of November.
It is intended that Divisions Zero and One will compete on the
Southern Course area. RMYS “William Paterson” will be the
Committee Boat. Race Officer Simon Dryden.
It is intended that Divisions Two and Three will compete on the
Eastern Course area. RYCV “Thorsen” will be the Committee Boat.
Race Officer David Le Roy.
David LeRoy
Principal Race Officer
29/11/16

So no div0 that I am aware of, and the race is scheduled for when and where ?

I'd say it's a 1325 warning on the Southern course area as per every race for the last few years.

Div 0 in Melbourne is but a distant memory of financial excess and massive egos, Gone but not forgotten, the time when everyone who sought to be someone was on a Div 0 boat and had the garishly branded team jacket to prove it. RIP Div 0, we shall not see their like again.

I'd say it's a 1325 warning on the Southern course area as per every race for the last few years.

Yes but on November the 3rd ?

Yes but on November the 3rd ?

Hmm good pick up, didn't know they were racing on Thursdays now...

Assuming it is December 3 (tomorrow), forecast looks alright, 15kts, sunny day, that's more like it Melbourne!

Given the issues around notifications to competitors from the last round I would have thought a little close examination of the documentation might be in order

Div 0 in Melbourne is but a distant memory of financial excess and massive egos, Gone but not forgotten, the time when everyone who sought to be someone was on a Div 0 boat and had the garishly branded team jacket to prove it. RIP Div 0, we shall not see their like again.

Those remarks probably do a disservice to some committed and helpful boat owners who gave a lot of people, particularly young sailors, opportunities where previously there were none.

A lot of people from that era have made careers in boating-related industries and many of us sailed our first Hobarts, etc. on the Div 0 boats you speak of.

There were a few wankers circulating around (like anywhere), but the overwhelming majority of people were excellent and that would definitely apply to 100% of the skippers who put their time and money into those programmes.

Those remarks probably do a disservice to some committed and helpful boat owners who gave a lot of people, particularly young sailors, opportunities where previously there were none.

A lot of people from that era have made careers in boating-related industries and many of us sailed our first Hobarts, etc. on the Div 0 boats you speak of.

There were a few wankers circulating around (like anywhere), but the overwhelming majority of people were excellent and that would definitely apply to 100% of the skippers who put their time and money into those programmes.

+1 and I don't recall too many people complaining while they were riding the wave

+1 and I don't recall too many people complaining while they were riding the wave

Only the smaller boat owners who lost crew to the Div 0 boats that sucked up big numbers leaving the little guys high and dry when the wannabes all ran after the glory and the free jackets. And please, don't tell me that didn't happen.

Disillusioned by the hype, probably all playing tennis now

and they haven't returned - so where did they go ?

Still looking for a parking spot within hiking distance of the yacht club?

and they haven't returned - so where did they go ?

I think we've seen the death of round-the-cans club racing in big boats. Some events and regattas are still going strong but getting 13+ people together every Saturday is too hard.

Plenty of people I met in Melbourne were up here in Sydney racing BWPS of the past couple of months. Also peeps from Perth, NZ and a bunch of Queenslanders.

They're leaving the boats in Sydney for a chunk of the year and racing here instead.

It takes a big commitment - most people pay their own air fares and use leave from work to do the races & regattas. The boats would do 1000's of miles a year going north and back again. A lot of the crew would participate in those deliveries in some capacity.

Most people I know who sail big boats also race one design like skiffs, dinghies, Dragons, Etchells, SB3s etc. That would be the preferred format to race if you're not going to the ocean. It's better racing than handicap racing on club boats.

Agree with you the paradox of thrift. I sail on a div 0 boat and the owner and crew are sick of the same windwind return racing format of the range series.

We have sent various emails to our club captain with the recommendation of a new format of the summer series for all the Port Phillip bay clubs with a mixture of fixed mark races to mix up the type of racing. The ex (RYCV) club captain sent me an email back and did not agree with my suggestions

I also agree that it is easier for big boat owners to concentrate on Regatta type sailing to have their sufficient crew numbers.

Agree with you the paradox of thrift. I sail on a div 0 boat and the owner and crew are sick of the same windwind return racing format of the range series.

We have sent various emails to our club captain with the recommendation of a new format of the summer series for all the Port Phillip bay clubs with a mixture of fixed mark races to mix up the type of racing. The ex (RYCV) club captain sent me an email back and did not agree with my suggestions

I also agree that it is easier for big boat owners to concentrate on Regatta type sailing to have their sufficient crew numbers.

Because there are plenty of the race formats that you have asked for available. RYCV only runs two W/L club races in the whole season, the Navy League and the Harold Ward. That suits the majority of our members who sail boats like Diamonds, S80's, Archambault's of various descriptions and Adams 10's.

We are not going to design a whole summer program about what one boat wants - but it's not my circus anymore.

Boats in the Melbourne to Hobart West Coast race will have a bit on. Widytv shows it gusting over 50 knots on the west coast on the 28th. with plenty before and after.

Yeah - WindyTy is making the Devonport dash look like a good option this year...fingers crossed!

Dismal turnout of boats in Geelong for FoS 2017 compared to recent numbers and massively down on past. WTF were they thinking in changing the traditional dates? Went this year, against my better judgement. Black Sorrows brilliant on Sat night but the rest of the event was woefully under attended.

Bugger all competitors in IRC Divs, particularly Div 1 which ended up with a massive 4 (count 'em) boats. Bar takings must have been way, way down with such a small crowd in attendance. Will / can they do that again and suffer another huge revenue shrink? Time will tell.

Lots of grumbling from discontent inter-staters, particularly the Sydney-siders but then, you get that anyway.

The problem when you rely too much on sponsorship $ is that they can tell you to move your event. The 'premier' rating divisions are not popular.

Overall numbers were certainly down and the IRC Rating fleets not large but from our perspective in IRC Div 2, the racing was hard fought and great fun. Several boats, including ours, (MoonSpinner), had several younger sailors in their crews including the very competitive Tasmanian effort on Philosopher. Surely, that's what matters.

Running it over a non-holiday weekend was always going to impact on the fleet sizes and that's something for RGYC to consider looking forward. They announced at the Presentations that the VIC Government contribution was confirmed for the next few years so I doubt we'll see much change from the current format.

It is what it is.

Or they could go back to running the regatta without the sponsor, on the long weekend. Plenty to be maid over the bar if they get it right, but I suppose it depends on their priorities. But WTF do I know.

Changing the date was nothing to do with the sponsors, it was done due to the Cadel Evens bike race conflicting with the dates which closes done the waterfront area around the club. Also the city of Geelong could only handle one big event at a time. And before you say "stuff the bike race", that event is way bigger on the world sporting stage than a local yachting regatta. The same situation will happen for the next two or three years at least, it all depends on when Australia Day falls, now that it is not a long weekend most years.

As Sportscar said...the event is what it is....personally I had a ball with great crew that was pushed by damn good competition (IRC Div 2)...with hard fought starts (Div 1 were embarrassingly poor!!) and really close finishes. And we did our best to support the bar after the last race!! (despite the gouging prices...hey..it's Geelong!)

Personally, the most disappointing part is the presentation - really poorly attended and rude behaviour (talking over the MC and very little clapping of the winners).

The format could benefit by finishing on the Saturday arvo with a huge party that night including presentation...so sailors & supporters can celebrate together as a tribe.....then lick our wounds and dawdle home Sunday. Sailors happy, bar takings good and sponsors get acknowledged. Any sponsor who attended Sunday's "presentation" would have been pretty disappointed.

trt - I thought City of Geelong and/or State Govt were sponsors, and forced the move, thus the sponsor comment. But you are probably right.

Couta - good feedback, and good idea to finish Sat night with a party

• Like 1

Changing the date was nothing to do with the sponsors, it was done due to the Cadel Evens bike race conflicting with the dates which closes done the waterfront area around the club. Also the city of Geelong could only handle one big event at a time. And before you say "stuff the bike race", that event is way bigger on the world sporting stage than a local yachting regatta. The same situation will happen for the next two or three years at least, it all depends on when Australia Day falls, now that it is not a long weekend most years.

I understand it was a bit of both - i.e. the club might have been able to pull off the regatta while the race was on, but at least one sponsor preferred separation.

Personally, the most disappointing part is the presentation - really poorly attended and rude behaviour (talking over the MC and very little clapping of the winners).

The format could benefit by finishing on the Saturday arvo with a huge party that night including presentation...so sailors & supporters can celebrate together as a tribe.....then lick our wounds and dawdle home Sunday. Sailors happy, bar takings good and sponsors get acknowledged. Any sponsor who attended Sunday's "presentation" would have been pretty disappointed.

+1

As Sportscar said...the event is what it is....personally I had a ball with great crew that was pushed by damn good competition (IRC Div 2)...with hard fought starts (Div 1 were embarrassingly poor!!) and really close finishes. And we did our best to support the bar after the last race!! (despite the gouging prices...hey..it's Geelong!)

Half the problem with the FoS Preso was the poor PA system which couldn't be heard if you were back near the Club,strategically close to the bar as most of us were. It may have been OK for those up close to the stage but the sound had no carry. Even the squalking from the so-called Event Ambassador, the disturbingly self-indulgent and ill prepared Sailor Girl who only turned up halfway through the regatta, was hard to hear.

That should be an easy fix; piss off the self promoting Ambassador and get someone in for the whole event who knows the boats and people better and have a couple more speakers strategically placed near the Club so the whole audience can hear whats going on. I have to agree agree with Couta that the audience was generally bloody rude.

$10 million over 4 years, but includes caveats such as removal of the rock wall for one.

There is now an alternative. The SYC National IRC & AMS Championships being held the week before Geelong in January 2018, for those who want good racing

$10 million over 4 years, but includes caveats such as removal of the rock wall for one.

? You in the right thread Don ?

Yes.

Geelong YC receive $10 million over 4 years. They appear to have, basically "thumbed their noses" to thousands of sailors who have supported them over may years.

The start of the bike race circus was happening in Geelong this afternoon. No access to the club at all, the whole waterfront area was locked up from Eastern Beach right along the whole roadway to way past the club to the west which is being used. Impossible to have a regatta with no access.

Yes.

Geelong YC receive $10 million over 4 years. They appear to have, basically "thumbed their noses" to thousands of sailors who have supported them over may years.

Which rock wall Don? And what are the other substantial caveats on the cash?