dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

31 minutes ago, Last Post said:

I deliberately didnt mention the 18 different varieties of Scotch. Dont want the riff raff joining up.

I thought SYC was full of riff-raff. As an outer suburbs club I would imagine that the haircut de-rigueur in the club house would be the mullet

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

I thought SYC was full of riff-raff. As an outer suburbs club I would imagine that the haircut de-rigueur in the club house would be the mullet

Stay right where you are. Enjoy the long walk? 

1 minute ago, Last Post said:

Stay right where you are. Enjoy the long walk? 

Do you mean the 4km walk from home along the beach that my missus enjoys to do with our daughter and dog on sunny days. Instead of complaining that I'm always going to the boat, she's very happy to walk to the  boat in the afternoon after I've had time to do the work onboard or after I've finished the sail... 

Happy wife, happy life......

Some Melbourne Clubs kicked off their seasons last weekend. Its opening day at Royal Sandy tomorrow, the weather looks sensational for the Sail Past for a change. With somewhat unfortunate timing, they have chosen the theme for the day to be "Cruisin' the Caribbean". Hope we dont see boats washed up on the beach. 

...and I can say this with absolute certainty:

FREE BEER TOMORROW (Conditions apply)

Happy Sailing everyone for 2017-18

12 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Some Melbourne Clubs kicked off their seasons last weekend. Its opening day at Royal Sandy tomorrow, the weather looks sensational for the Sail Past for a change. With somewhat unfortunate timing, they have chosen the theme for the day to be "Cruisin' the Caribbean". Hope we dont see boats washed up on the beach. 

...and I can say this with absolute certainty:

FREE BEER TOMORROW (Conditions apply)

Happy Sailing everyone for 2017-18

RMYS stupidly held the season open day last Saturday. I think there was only 10 boats in the sail pass.

Always amusing that SYC used to have the Free Beer session BEFORE the Sail Pissed.

Free Beer session is now later. Bloody Fun Police... "Don't drink and Gybe".

31 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

so it was definitely a sail pass

Very much a pass...

Perhaps GF day would be ok if there was a big promo for watching the game in the clubhouse, but picking another day, like the pointless public holiday would be better. 

So the newly branded Nautilus Marine Series kicked off on the weekend, http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-10084-0-0-0&sID=303369

Primitive Cool sailing around by themselves nearly getting beaten by Beneteaus, Hartbreaker struggling and getting beaten by Beneteaus, at least the weather was nice. 

6 hours ago, Ockaroo said:

So the newly branded Nautilus Marine Series kicked off on the weekend, http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-10084-0-0-0&sID=303369

Primitive Cool sailing around by themselves nearly getting beaten by Beneteaus, Hartbreaker struggling and getting beaten by Beneteaus, at least the weather was nice. 

Was div 1 racing a longer course than div 2?

10 hours ago, hoppy said:

Was div 1 racing a longer course than div 2?

Div 1 all on the one course (which includes PC and Beneteaus 40's, 45's, 50). There used to be Div 0 when there were enough boats to justify it and they would go to a different gate mark but that was several years ago. 

Div 2/3 is on a totally different course. 

1 hour ago, Ockaroo said:

Div 1 all on the one course (which includes PC and Beneteaus 40's, 45's, 50). There used to be Div 0 when there were enough boats to justify it and they would go to a different gate mark but that was several years ago. 

Div 2/3 is on a totally different course. 

It's a shame they are different as there is a boat racing in Div 2 that I would like to have compared its elapsed time against one of the div 1 racers. 

19 minutes ago, hoppy said:

It's a shame they are different as there is a boat racing in Div 2 that I would like to have compared its elapsed time against one of the div 1 racers. 

Which ones? there's some races where they do the same course.

On 10/6/2017 at 3:23 PM, hoppy said:

Very much a pass...

Perhaps GF day would be ok if there was a big promo for watching the game in the clubhouse, but picking another day, like the pointless public holiday would be better. 

HUNDREDS of boats, sail, power, offbeach dinghies etc in the Sandy Sail Past on their Opening Day. Just sayin'. Get with the strength.

19 hours ago, Ockaroo said:

Situation normal then.

Question: Is PC the slowest big boat or the biggest slow boat in Melbourne?

As for Arseraper, that thing, or at least the way they sail it, is a disgrace.

Surprisingly good numbers on the courses.

5 hours ago, Ockaroo said:

Which ones? there's some races where they do the same course.

Arcadia v The Bookmaker.

Arcadia is normally the fastest in the RMYS fleet (after PC) and the Bookmaker is one boat that's for sale and almost within my $80k budget. There are RMYS boats in Div 2 but BM was faster than all, so it would be interesting to see the gap to Arcadia.

1 minute ago, hoppy said:

Arcadia v The Bookmaker.

Arcadia is normally the fastest in the RMYS fleet (after PC) and the Bookmaker is one boat that's for sale and almost within my $80k budget. There are RMYS boats in Div 2 but BM was faster than all, so it would be interesting to see the gap to Arcadia.

To give you an idea, on AMS:

Arcadia .956

Bookmaker .920

5 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

To give you an idea, on AMS:

Arcadia .956

Bookmaker .920

Raced Arcadia in the twilight this evening but never saw her. Only saw the boats that started before us as we were passing them :)

15 hours ago, hoppy said:

Arcadia v The Bookmaker.

Interesting, had a look through a number of events ORCV, Festival of sails etc and can't see one of them in the same Div, but Arcadia is pretty much the same as One for the Road which races against Bookmaker often, here's last night where Bookmaker was 2mins quicker around the course. http://www.topyacht.net.au/results/rycv/2017/summer/WTS/01RGrp5.htm

I'd say Bookmaker is sailed better so One for the Road may not perform as well as expected, but.. have a look over last years results, they seem to mix it up a bit, http://www.topyacht.net.au/results/rycv/2016/summer/WTS2016/series.htm

One for the road looks to be an A40, Arcadia is an a40rc. Slightly newer design, a little quicker around the track, and a slightly better IRC rating. 

The a40rc are great w/l machines, not as strong reaching, especially in heavy air. Have a look at what sort of legs were in a race before making too many conclusions between the boats. 

45 minutes ago, Ockaroo said:

Interesting, had a look through a number of events ORCV, Festival of sails etc and can't see one of them in the same Div, but Arcadia is pretty much the same as One for the Road which races against Bookmaker often, here's last night where Bookmaker was 2mins quicker around the course. http://www.topyacht.net.au/results/rycv/2017/summer/WTS/01RGrp5.htm

I'd say Bookmaker is sailed better so One for the Road may not perform as well as expected, but.. have a look over last years results, they seem to mix it up a bit, http://www.topyacht.net.au/results/rycv/2016/summer/WTS2016/series.htm

Our fleets crossed paths last night.

Crewing does make a big difference. A good crew can make a dog look competitive and a poor crew can make a good boat disappointing. Arcadia is a constant good performer at RMYS and does reasonably well in ocean races, so is a good boat to compare. I'd like to find a competitive boat than I can make look like a dog ;)

3 minutes ago, Rantifarian said:

One for the road looks to be an A40, Arcadia is an a40rc. Slightly newer design, a little quicker around the track, and a slightly better IRC rating. 

The a40rc are great w/l machines, not as strong reaching, especially in heavy air. Have a look at what sort of legs were in a race before making too many conclusions between the boats. 

Legs, wind conditions and sea state all make a difference.

Until last nights race, Arcadia has always blasted past us in the pursuits and we've always finished at the back. Last night the conditions were exactly what I expected to be perfect for us, 20 knots northerly. We finished 5th and Arcadia was 2:24 behind us. On elapsed time we were 12th out of 34 faster than many yachts that totally thrashed us a couple of weeks ago.

So a race series of comparisons is best...

15 hours ago, hoppy said:

Raced Arcadia in the twilight this evening but never saw her. Only saw the boats that started before us as we were passing them :)

Bookie with Josh on the tiller has towelled Arcadia on numerous occasions, particularly in A's first season here, jus' sayin'.

But then Arcadia was National IRC Champ under Rod Jones a few years back.

Has a lot to do with who's who on the boat at the time. Twilight pursuits will tell you absolutely fuck all about performance or potential

8 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Twilight pursuits will tell you absolutely fuck all about performance or potential

^ Like looking at a chick in a burka

2 hours ago, Last Post said:

Twilight pursuits will tell you absolutely fuck all about performance or potential

I realise that which is why I would like to see BM & A on the same course in the Nautilus series. I was just happy that we got perfect conditions for my Jeanneau and finally we got a decent result.

I should mention that our pursuit handicap has us starting with an S80, 9 minutes before Arcadia. 

8 hours ago, Rantifarian said:

Isn't this your old boat Rant?

Im in Melbourne at the mo, weather's grey and overcast , storm predicted,  looks perfect for sailing. 

I am somewhat familiar with Arcadia, yes . . . 

I'm pretty sure the new owner has made a few mods, anchor windlass and hot water were on the cards I think. It still seems to be doing ok so he can't have put too much shit onboard

16 hours ago, Ockaroo said:

Wont be on the tiller anymore... 

Oh dear, has he shit in another nest?

2 hours ago, trt131 said:

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Akatea-makes-a-statement-in-the-Lipton-Cup-Regatta/158902

Does this make Akatea the fastest boat on Port Phillip?  Really, an 11 metre boat.  Come on Melbourne get your act together.

Looks like it's mostly Royals and HBYC with a couple of not so hot boats from other clubs.

Sandy has a few much faster boats and RMYS has PC which didn't bother.

Talking of PC, it's not entered for the S2H or even the M2H.  

23 hours ago, trt131 said:

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Akatea-makes-a-statement-in-the-Lipton-Cup-Regatta/158902

Does this make Akatea the fastest boat on Port Phillip?  Really, an 11 metre boat.  Come on Melbourne get your act together.

Yes. She would be the fastest boat on Port Phillip if you are using Primitive Cool, Hartbreaker, and Simply Fun as her main competition.

Yes. An 11 metre boat, but unfortunately a canting keeler.

Last I checked her sister ship Little Nico was pacing the good 52 footers in Sydney, so PC is no match based on current performance.

Don, These are great little boats and absolute rocket ships.  I guess the point I was making is that the big boat scene in Melbourne has slipped somewhat in the last few years.  This doesn't take away from the quality of racing though.

18 hours ago, lydia said:

So where is Simply Fun off too?

As far as I know she is yet to be sold? anyone with more info?

The new Scarlet Runner (J111) looks a treat. Apparently built in France, and a much higher quality finish than the USA built boats.

25 minutes ago, Don said:

As far as I know she is yet to be sold? anyone with more info?

The new Scarlet Runner (J111) looks a treat. Apparently built in France, and a much higher quality finish than the USA built boats.

Still listed 

http://sundancemarine.com.au/brokerage/sail-yacht/2013-hh42-simply-fun/

Just wow, the new Shaw 11m "Akatea" was smokin' fast today, finishing 35 min ahead of the next boat, a 50fter. Notably, they were 59 minutes faster around the track than Smoothie which must be feeling like they had the brakes jammed on. "Akatea's" performance backs up from starting as distant last starter in last Thursday nights SYC Twilighter pursuit race and winning that too by over 7 minutes from the next boat. An expensive way to win, no doubt, but winners are still grinners, no matter the cost.

https://www.syc.com.au/raceresults/2017/klbt/pt/01RGrp20.htm

Dream does not sound like much of a 50ft racer, but Akatea's is pretty impressive. Their PHS will take a hit after this.

RMYS looks like it has added a little boat that will stir up the fleet. The MC31 "38 SOUTH RACING" is now owned by a RMYS member and has started racing as "NEXT STEP". Based on it's PHS handicap, it looks like it will romp on Arcadia. PC is the only yacht with a higher handicap and I presume that in light conditions the MC31 could give PC a run for it's money?

18 hours ago, Last Post said:

Just wow, the new Shaw 11m "Akatea" was smokin' fast today, finishing 35 min ahead of the next boat, a 50fter. Notably, they were 59 minutes faster around the track than Smoothie which must be feeling like they had the brakes jammed on. "Akatea's" performance backs up from starting as distant last starter in last Thursday nights SYC Twilighter pursuit race and winning that too by over 7 minutes from the next boat. An expensive way to win, no doubt, but winners are still grinners, no matter the cost.

https://www.syc.com.au/raceresults/2017/klbt/pt/01RGrp20.htm

Amazing what an 800k 11m boat can do hey! 

22 hours ago, hoppy said:

Dream does not sound like much of a 50ft racer, but Akatea's is pretty impressive. Their PHS will take a hit after this.

RMYS looks like it has added a little boat that will stir up the fleet. The MC31 "38 SOUTH RACING" is now owned by a RMYS member and has started racing as "NEXT STEP". Based on it's PHS handicap, it looks like it will romp on Arcadia. PC is the only yacht with a higher handicap and I presume that in light conditions the MC31 could give PC a run for it's money?

No

On 11/26/2017 at 12:14 PM, SCANAS said:

Amazing what an 800k 11m boat can do hey! 

Sure is a slippery little sucker in that light stuff

On 11/25/2017 at 3:50 PM, Last Post said:

Now showing as sold. I wonder if they got the collar and leash with the deal?

Are you suggesting the boat is a dog?

I didn't realise you'd sailed on the boat so extensively to form that opinion...

On 11/25/2017 at 7:37 PM, hoppy said:

Dream is a fast boat, cruiser/racer and sailed by a bunch of grumpy old men, but fast. Second in line honours against some quick boats.

6 hours ago, Ockaroo said:

Dream is a fast boat, cruiser/racer and sailed by a bunch of grumpy old men, but fast. Second in line honours against some quick boats.

Dream won the 2016 Cock of the Bay against a good mixed fleet. Robt Green knows a thing or two about sailing. 

6 hours ago, mexican said:

Are you suggesting the boat is a dog?

I didn't realise you'd sailed on the boat so extensively to form that opinion...

Never set foot on it Mex, observed it plenty.

Canine reference was perhaps a bit harsh and is hereby retracted, bit of an under-achiever for her rating might be a better position to take? 

Admittedly, she creamed the 4KSB fleet at Sandy in the Club's 2017 winter series but that's hardly stellar competition for a design with that rep.

Leaving the Bay?

On 11/25/2017 at 7:37 PM, hoppy said:

Ignorance is bliss!

MC 31 is a fun little boat to race but really not that quick for what it was intended to be. Even a poorly sailed PC (which it often is) should have more than enough legs to see off that boat in any conditions.

34 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Ignorance is bliss!

It's got me where I am today...... Wherever that may be. 

Been looking through the super 11 site and with "NEXT STEP" and Tigress it looks like RMYS has two of the least competitive S11's in the bay.

I notice that S11 allows older boats by invitation to race under PHS, but I can't see any entry lists or results. I guess they have not invited anyone.

Entries for the Aust Keelboat Champs are looking good as are the FOS numbers for the brilliantly named "Cruising with Spinnakers" div.

Rumour is fact that the Cookson 12 "A Cunning Plan" has changed ownership and name - now Voodoo and will have a new team aboard to push it at both regattas....good news as this boat has been beautifully maintained but rarely sailed for several years....

7 hours ago, Couta said:

Entries for the Aust Keelboat Champs are looking good as are the FOS numbers for the brilliantly named "Cruising with Spinnakers" div.

Rumour is fact that the Cookson 12 "A Cunning Plan" has changed ownership and name - now Voodoo and will have a new team aboard to push it at both regattas....good news as this boat has been beautifully maintained but rarely sailed for several years....

Glamour boat - never had a good enough crew to exploit itwhen it was Sydney based but it rates too high to be competitive for a C12 IMHO.

Assume Ichi Ban has an inshore set of sails and another IRC certificate to go with the mast change over?

The new Ray Roberts Botin 40 (or 42?) looks like a fast machine which apparently weighs just over 4T so will be interesting how it goes.No doubt will be full of some high quality sailors with some of the North Sydney loft in Melbourne to help set up this new flyer.

38 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Assume Ichi Ban has an inshore set of sails and another IRC certificate to go with the mast change over?

The new Ray Roberts Botin 40 (or 42?) looks like a fast machine which apparently weighs just over 4T so will be interesting how it goes.No doubt will be full of some high quality sailors with some of the North Sydney loft in Melbourne to help set up this new flyer.

Interesting ( in a weird kinda way) hull shape. Hope they have good boots, gonna get wet feet if the southerlies kick in. That McConaghy built Botin 40 has about the same freeboard as my SUP ffs.

7 hours ago, BlueBoy said:

Ichi Ban changed masts over today. Assuming going from an offshore stick to an inshore one. Would be nice to have that kind of money.

Well get off this site and get back to work! LOL

On 11/27/2017 at 9:08 PM, hoppy said:

It's got me where I am today...... Wherever that may be. 

Been looking through the super 11 site and with "NEXT STEP" and Tigress it looks like RMYS has two of the least competitive S11's in the bay.

I notice that S11 allows older boats by invitation to race under PHS, but I can't see any entry lists or results. I guess they have not invited anyone.

Don't hold your breath mate.

10 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Glamour boat - never had a good enough crew to exploit itwhen it was Sydney based but it rates too high to be competitive for a C12 IMHO.

Similar issue when Melbourne based - so not really sure how she'll go...but certainly looks the goods and with new rags there'll be few excuses. DickD -What is its rating issue cf other C12's and what can be done?

Anyone here got info on the Cookson 12? I've just reviewed the certificates of the boat formerly named A Cunning Plan - now rebadged Voodoo and plan to give her a shakedown at the Australian Keelboat Champs at SYC next week....then on to Geelong for FOS. Certificates are one thing but I'm chasing a comparison and need to get an idea of how this one stacks up....all input appreciated!

8 hours ago, Couta said:

Anyone here got info on the Cookson 12? I've just reviewed the certificates of the boat formerly named A Cunning Plan - now rebadged Voodoo and plan to give her a shakedown at the Australian Keelboat Champs at SYC next week....then on to Geelong for FOS. Certificates are one thing but I'm chasing a comparison and need to get an idea of how this one stacks up....all input appreciated!

If this is the ex-Blackadder, she's got a slightly different keel to a standard Cookson 12 - as in, deeper than the norm and a bit sexier in profile. Always immaculately prepared and with some good guys on board, but without the long term, close knit team that About Time had. We used to tickle her up quite a bit on OCL 1, but AT was definitely the benchmark of the three Cookson 12's.

Blackadder also never really sailed to the rating hit that the keel change caused. Compared to About Time the crew was more handsome, just not as fast...

8 hours ago, Couta said:

PM Me.  I'm a known expert on Cookson 12s

46 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

If this is the ex-Blackadder, she's got a slightly different keel to a standard Cookson 12 - as in, deeper than the norm and a bit sexier in profile. Always immaculately prepared and with some good guys on board, but without the long term, close knit team that About Time had. We used to tickle her up quite a bit on OCL 1, but AT was definitely the benchmark of the three Cookson 12's.

Blackadder also never really sailed to the rating hit that the keel change caused. Compared to About Time the crew was more handsome, just not as fast...

I'll take that as a complement having navigated AT for 15 years or so...

Blackadder didn't have keel mods, was built that way.  True that it was never sailed to potential but IMHO it has too much keel and rig to be competitive on IRC, as was/is the case with GO (Ex Pazzaz) and Philosophers.  I delivered Pazzaz back to Sydney around 18 months ago with the then owner and talked through the keel at length.  It was noticeable how much less slippery it was downwind than About Time, despite being lighter and having a bigger rig.  He subsequently shaved 300kg off the bulb and dumped most of the lead in the fin as lead shot.  Helped a lot. 

About Time and OCL 1 were built with the original IMS keel and despite much investigation over the years we could never justify changing it (we thoght about it regularly and even had VPP studies done).  The drag penalty from the 200mm deeper fin and bigger bulb was surprisingly large and while in some circumstances the results were better, given our program the base option was always superior.

Ex-Blackadder is a glamour boat though, it would be great to see how competitive it could be well sailed.

4 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

The drag penalty from the 200mm deeper fin and bigger bulb was surprisingly large and while in some circumstances the results were better, given our program the base option was always superior.

So Blackadder was 2.8m and standard is 2.6m?

http://sundancemarine.com.au/brokerage/sail-yacht/cookson-12-cunning-plan/

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

I think some of them measure in as deep as 2.84.  About Time (now known as Sail Exchange) was 2.57.  It's all visible on the ORC certificates and IRC listings.  Assuming they were correctly measured of course.

On 09/01/2018 at 7:57 AM, Couta said:

Similar issue when Melbourne based - so not really sure how she'll go...but certainly looks the goods and with new rags there'll be few excuses. DickD -What is its rating issue cf other C12's and what can be done?

Last i looked, Cunning Plan rated about 1.140 IRC.  Other C12s are around 1.13.  About Time was 1.114 when we sold it, no tricks - just carefully optimised.   Cunning Plan's spinnakers were big as I recall - up around 160 sqm, and despite that About Time was faster downwind with 130sqm kites.  C12s are narrow on the waterline and even with the big keel aren't hugely stable so can't really exploit big A sails reaching.  Blackadder was rated for large A sails - it would rate better with symmetrics alone and C12s are better downwind sailing with symmetrics for the most part, we researched that extensively over many years.  Reduce prod length so it's just long enough to set a code zero and hence shorten STL value.  Longer term look at shaving lead off the bulb and putting it in the fin to reduce drag, but be careful as the rig on that boat is probably is too big to reduce stability too much.  But, maybe look at shrinking the main a bit, it probably has more upwind sail area than it needs.  Check About Time's sail areas for cross reference, ex-Blackadder weighs about the same.  If the mast isn't weighed, get that done to improve ORCi rating.  Talk nicely to the RORC about hull factor - despite lashings of cosmetic carbon fibre trim inside, the boat is largely E-Glass and has a relatively cruisy interior so IRC hull factor shouldn't be punitive.  Sail with a table in the boat too, and cushions and an oven.

Also get the keel fin and rudder reprofiled to ensure they're the right section shapes.  

Oh, and sail 10-up and no-one sits behind the helmsman upwind.

The TP52 M3 is for sale and will be in Melbourne in January. Maybe someone will be nice enough to save the crew the hassle sailing her home (Perth?) 

M3 isn't on the entry list of the AYC even though they will be here???

Ichi Ban looks like it's the glamour boat of the AYC temporarily boosting the MBBF

These TP things are like homing pigeons - M3 was previously Calm (ex Sandringham) by way of a pretty ugly grounding on a northern new south wales beach at one stage.

Caveat Emptor with that one.

On 08/01/2018 at 1:48 PM, Couta said:

Went for a walk around the marina and found this. Racing out of RMS with the sail number S6461. I can't find the owners name in the club register,  so he is probably new to the club, joining as part of a long term marina berth arrangement.

This is my first viewing of a Cookson 12 and they look pretty sweet. Looks a lot newer that 3 years younger than my Jeanneau. Will certainly be drooling when I see it on the water.

IMG_3014.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/01/2018 at 11:45 PM, Last Post said:

These TP things are like homing pigeons - M3 was previously Calm (ex Sandringham) by way of a pretty ugly grounding on a northern new south wales beach at one stage.

Caveat Emptor with that one.

i recall somewhere in my foggy mind LP, that M3 ended up quite a bit stronger in the bow than most TPs of that era as a result.

2 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

i recall somewhere in my foggy mind LP, that M3 ended up quite a bit stronger in the bow than most TPs of that era as a result.

And no doubt a bit heavier too? She was skull-dragged along that beach by a bulldozer. Not a nice way to treat a lady

20 hours ago, huwp said:

Hugh Ellis' new boat. Previous Avalanche owner. 

This guy knows how to spend $$$ on boats. New Hick 40 with Farr mast and engine with lots of $$ spent, sells the boat  even though in partnership and buys an older 40 footer!

Will Hickie be steering the new boat as per Avalanche?

Didn't Rob Hick do the mods to the original Farr 40OD that subsequently became Avalanche?  Possibly named after the Avalanche of cash poured into that short lived project?

41 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Didn't Rob Hick do the mods to the original Farr 40OD that subsequently became Avalanche?  Possibly named after the Avalanche of cash poured into that short lived project?

yes Hick did the build. 

Based on Day 1 results (first four races), it's already a race for second in IRC Div 1 & 2.

Looks like Ray is getting his new Fast 40 dialled in as racing progresses.

Any feedback from on the water?

Mex

On 1/18/2018 at 12:21 PM, Chucky said:

This guy knows how to spend $$$ on boats. New Hick 40 with Farr mast and engine with lots of $$ spent, sells the boat  even though in partnership and buys an older 40 footer!

Will Hickie be steering the new boat as per Avalanche?

Didn't have a choice the old boat was de laminating. Keep fixing or start with a new hull.

Has it ever raced a FARR40od?

Dave Allen is helming - Voodoo finished he regatta with "flashes of brilliance" and "lessons learned" in equal measure.....first time the boat went out was race day 1 with crew unfamiliar with each other & the boat.....the short course format shows up lack of familiarity!! The longer race on saturday was a chance to settle the boat down and get a real feel. Looking at performance thru the wind range, this Cookson12 enjoys the lighter stuff....once the boat has a regular crew we'll see real numbers. 

On 1/11/2018 at 11:31 PM, DickDastardly said:

Last i looked, Cunning Plan rated about 1.140 IRC.  Other C12s are around 1.13.  About Time was 1.114 when we sold it, no tricks - just carefully optimised.   Cunning Plan's spinnakers were big as I recall - up around 160 sqm, and despite that About Time was faster downwind with 130sqm kites.  C12s are narrow on the waterline and even with the big keel aren't hugely stable so can't really exploit big A sails reaching.  Blackadder was rated for large A sails - it would rate better with symmetrics alone and C12s are better downwind sailing with symmetrics for the most part, we researched that extensively over many years.  Reduce prod length so it's just long enough to set a code zero and hence shorten STL value.  Longer term look at shaving lead off the bulb and putting it in the fin to reduce drag, but be careful as the rig on that boat is probably is too big to reduce stability too much.  But, maybe look at shrinking the main a bit, it probably has more upwind sail area than it needs.  Check About Time's sail areas for cross reference, ex-Blackadder weighs about the same.  If the mast isn't weighed, get that done to improve ORCi rating.  Talk nicely to the RORC about hull factor - despite lashings of cosmetic carbon fibre trim inside, the boat is largely E-Glass and has a relatively cruisy interior so IRC hull factor shouldn't be punitive.  Sail with a table in the boat too, and cushions and an oven.

Also get the keel fin and rudder reprofiled to ensure they're the right section shapes.  

Oh, and sail 10-up and no-one sits behind the helmsman upwind.

DD - really appreciate the feedback...will start a conversation! Love this place for info!

33 minutes ago, Couta said:

DD - really appreciate the feedback...will start a conversation! Love this place for info!

Coupl'a half decent results there - encouraging for a newbie crew!  I'd agree that it's moded for lighter weather at present.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Couta said:

Dave Allen is helming - Voodoo finished he regatta with "flashes of brilliance" and "lessons learned" in equal measure.....first time the boat went out was race day 1 with crew unfamiliar with each other & the boat.....the short course format shows up lack of familiarity!! The longer race on saturday was a chance to settle the boat down and get a real feel. Looking at performance thru the wind range, this Cookson12 enjoys the lighter stuff....once the boat has a regular crew we'll see real numbers. 

I hope they will use some twilights as an opportunity to get to know the boat better. They can use the poled out genoa DW leg to discuss their upwind performance and plan how to make it better. Then I can drool and dream about my 80k thread changing to a 240k thread ;) 

On 25/05/2017 at 8:19 AM, Ockaroo said:

Check out the ORCV Latitude overnight challenge, not until October but there's something to plan for? http://www.orcv.org.au/index.php/about-the-series

There's a few others run by various clubs, but not until the weather warms up again.

Just revisiting the overnight on the bay race. There seems to be nothing that I can find.

RMYS's big bay challenge is a long day race now days and held in conjunction with the HBYC. So too is SYC's Tam O'Shanter which is also held on the same day as the RMYS & HBYC.

The ORCV's race seems to be some sort of navigation challenge, more like a car time trial or something dull like that.

Why is it so hard for Melbourne clubs to hold a race that does a lap of the bay at night and entice racers to enter????  Surely such a race would be interesting to enough ocean racers and wannabe's to make it a worthwhile race.