• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Last Post said:

I deliberately didnt mention the 18 different varieties of Scotch. Dont want the riff raff joining up.

I thought SYC was full of riff-raff. As an outer suburbs club I would imagine that the haircut de-rigueur in the club house would be the mullet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoppy said:

I thought SYC was full of riff-raff. As an outer suburbs club I would imagine that the haircut de-rigueur in the club house would be the mullet

Stay right where you are. Enjoy the long walk? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Last Post said:

Stay right where you are. Enjoy the long walk? 

Do you mean the 4km walk from home along the beach that my missus enjoys to do with our daughter and dog on sunny days. Instead of complaining that I'm always going to the boat, she's very happy to walk to the  boat in the afternoon after I've had time to do the work onboard or after I've finished the sail... 

Happy wife, happy life......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Entered the summer race series on Saturdays. We'll be out there to put pressure on PC ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some Melbourne Clubs kicked off their seasons last weekend. Its opening day at Royal Sandy tomorrow, the weather looks sensational for the Sail Past for a change. With somewhat unfortunate timing, they have chosen the theme for the day to be "Cruisin' the Caribbean". Hope we dont see boats washed up on the beach. 

...and I can say this with absolute certainty:

FREE BEER TOMORROW (Conditions apply)

Happy Sailing everyone for 2017-18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Some Melbourne Clubs kicked off their seasons last weekend. Its opening day at Royal Sandy tomorrow, the weather looks sensational for the Sail Past for a change. With somewhat unfortunate timing, they have chosen the theme for the day to be "Cruisin' the Caribbean". Hope we dont see boats washed up on the beach. 

...and I can say this with absolute certainty:

FREE BEER TOMORROW (Conditions apply)

Happy Sailing everyone for 2017-18

RMYS stupidly held the season open day last Saturday. I think there was only 10 boats in the sail pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always amusing that SYC used to have the Free Beer session BEFORE the Sail Pissed.

Free Beer session is now later. Bloody Fun Police... "Don't drink and Gybe".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

so it was definitely a sail pass

Very much a pass...

Perhaps GF day would be ok if there was a big promo for watching the game in the clubhouse, but picking another day, like the pointless public holiday would be better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the newly branded Nautilus Marine Series kicked off on the weekend, http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-10084-0-0-0&sID=303369

Primitive Cool sailing around by themselves nearly getting beaten by Beneteaus, Hartbreaker struggling and getting beaten by Beneteaus, at least the weather was nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ockaroo said:

So the newly branded Nautilus Marine Series kicked off on the weekend, http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-10084-0-0-0&sID=303369

Primitive Cool sailing around by themselves nearly getting beaten by Beneteaus, Hartbreaker struggling and getting beaten by Beneteaus, at least the weather was nice. 

Was div 1 racing a longer course than div 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hoppy said:

Was div 1 racing a longer course than div 2?

 

Div 1 all on the one course (which includes PC and Beneteaus 40's, 45's, 50). There used to be Div 0 when there were enough boats to justify it and they would go to a different gate mark but that was several years ago. 

Div 2/3 is on a totally different course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ockaroo said:

 

Div 1 all on the one course (which includes PC and Beneteaus 40's, 45's, 50). There used to be Div 0 when there were enough boats to justify it and they would go to a different gate mark but that was several years ago. 

Div 2/3 is on a totally different course. 

It's a shame they are different as there is a boat racing in Div 2 that I would like to have compared its elapsed time against one of the div 1 racers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, hoppy said:

It's a shame they are different as there is a boat racing in Div 2 that I would like to have compared its elapsed time against one of the div 1 racers. 

 

Which ones? there's some races where they do the same course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2017 at 3:23 PM, hoppy said:

Very much a pass...

Perhaps GF day would be ok if there was a big promo for watching the game in the clubhouse, but picking another day, like the pointless public holiday would be better. 

HUNDREDS of boats, sail, power, offbeach dinghies etc in the Sandy Sail Past on their Opening Day. Just sayin'. Get with the strength.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ockaroo said:

So the newly branded Nautilus Marine Series kicked off on the weekend, http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-10084-0-0-0&sID=303369

Primitive Cool sailing around by themselves nearly getting beaten by Beneteaus, Hartbreaker struggling and getting beaten by Beneteaus, at least the weather was nice. 

Situation normal then.

Question: Is PC the slowest big boat or the biggest slow boat in Melbourne?

As for Arseraper, that thing, or at least the way they sail it, is a disgrace.

Surprisingly good numbers on the courses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ockaroo said:

 

Which ones? there's some races where they do the same course.

Arcadia v The Bookmaker.

Arcadia is normally the fastest in the RMYS fleet (after PC) and the Bookmaker is one boat that's for sale and almost within my $80k budget. There are RMYS boats in Div 2 but BM was faster than all, so it would be interesting to see the gap to Arcadia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hoppy said:

Arcadia v The Bookmaker.

Arcadia is normally the fastest in the RMYS fleet (after PC) and the Bookmaker is one boat that's for sale and almost within my $80k budget. There are RMYS boats in Div 2 but BM was faster than all, so it would be interesting to see the gap to Arcadia.

To give you an idea, on AMS:

Arcadia .956

Bookmaker .920

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

To give you an idea, on AMS:

Arcadia .956

Bookmaker .920

 

Raced Arcadia in the twilight this evening but never saw her. Only saw the boats that started before us as we were passing them :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hoppy said:

Arcadia v The Bookmaker.

Arcadia is normally the fastest in the RMYS fleet (after PC) and the Bookmaker is one boat that's for sale and almost within my $80k budget. There are RMYS boats in Div 2 but BM was faster than all, so it would be interesting to see the gap to Arcadia.

 

Interesting, had a look through a number of events ORCV, Festival of sails etc and can't see one of them in the same Div, but Arcadia is pretty much the same as One for the Road which races against Bookmaker often, here's last night where Bookmaker was 2mins quicker around the course. http://www.topyacht.net.au/results/rycv/2017/summer/WTS/01RGrp5.htm

I'd say Bookmaker is sailed better so One for the Road may not perform as well as expected, but.. have a look over last years results, they seem to mix it up a bit, http://www.topyacht.net.au/results/rycv/2016/summer/WTS2016/series.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One for the road looks to be an A40, Arcadia is an a40rc. Slightly newer design, a little quicker around the track, and a slightly better IRC rating. 

The a40rc are great w/l machines, not as strong reaching, especially in heavy air. Have a look at what sort of legs were in a race before making too many conclusions between the boats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ockaroo said:

 

Interesting, had a look through a number of events ORCV, Festival of sails etc and can't see one of them in the same Div, but Arcadia is pretty much the same as One for the Road which races against Bookmaker often, here's last night where Bookmaker was 2mins quicker around the course. http://www.topyacht.net.au/results/rycv/2017/summer/WTS/01RGrp5.htm

I'd say Bookmaker is sailed better so One for the Road may not perform as well as expected, but.. have a look over last years results, they seem to mix it up a bit, http://www.topyacht.net.au/results/rycv/2016/summer/WTS2016/series.htm

Our fleets crossed paths last night.

Crewing does make a big difference. A good crew can make a dog look competitive and a poor crew can make a good boat disappointing. Arcadia is a constant good performer at RMYS and does reasonably well in ocean races, so is a good boat to compare. I'd like to find a competitive boat than I can make look like a dog ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rantifarian said:

One for the road looks to be an A40, Arcadia is an a40rc. Slightly newer design, a little quicker around the track, and a slightly better IRC rating. 

The a40rc are great w/l machines, not as strong reaching, especially in heavy air. Have a look at what sort of legs were in a race before making too many conclusions between the boats. 

Legs, wind conditions and sea state all make a difference.

Until last nights race, Arcadia has always blasted past us in the pursuits and we've always finished at the back. Last night the conditions were exactly what I expected to be perfect for us, 20 knots northerly. We finished 5th and Arcadia was 2:24 behind us. On elapsed time we were 12th out of 34 faster than many yachts that totally thrashed us a couple of weeks ago.

So a race series of comparisons is best...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hoppy said:

Raced Arcadia in the twilight this evening but never saw her. Only saw the boats that started before us as we were passing them :)

Bookie with Josh on the tiller has towelled Arcadia on numerous occasions, particularly in A's first season here, jus' sayin'.

But then Arcadia was National IRC Champ under Rod Jones a few years back.

Has a lot to do with who's who on the boat at the time. Twilight pursuits will tell you absolutely fuck all about performance or potential

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Twilight pursuits will tell you absolutely fuck all about performance or potential

^ Like looking at a chick in a burka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Last Post said:

Twilight pursuits will tell you absolutely fuck all about performance or potential

I realise that which is why I would like to see BM & A on the same course in the Nautilus series. I was just happy that we got perfect conditions for my Jeanneau and finally we got a decent result.

I should mention that our pursuit handicap has us starting with an S80, 9 minutes before Arcadia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rantifarian said:

One for the road looks to be an A40, Arcadia is an a40rc. Slightly newer design, a little quicker around the track, and a slightly better IRC rating. 

The a40rc are great w/l machines, not as strong reaching, especially in heavy air. Have a look at what sort of legs were in a race before making too many conclusions between the boats. 

Isn't this your old boat Rant?

Im in Melbourne at the mo, weather's grey and overcast , storm predicted,  looks perfect for sailing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am somewhat familiar with Arcadia, yes . . . 

I'm pretty sure the new owner has made a few mods, anchor windlass and hot water were on the cards I think. It still seems to be doing ok so he can't have put too much shit onboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Last Post said:

Bookie with Josh on the tiller <snip>

Wont be on the tiller anymore... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ockaroo said:

Wont be on the tiller anymore... 

Oh dear, has he shit in another nest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trt131 said:

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Akatea-makes-a-statement-in-the-Lipton-Cup-Regatta/158902

Does this make Akatea the fastest boat on Port Phillip?  Really, an 11 metre boat.  Come on Melbourne get your act together.

Looks like it's mostly Royals and HBYC with a couple of not so hot boats from other clubs.

Sandy has a few much faster boats and RMYS has PC which didn't bother.

Talking of PC, it's not entered for the S2H or even the M2H.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, trt131 said:

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Akatea-makes-a-statement-in-the-Lipton-Cup-Regatta/158902

Does this make Akatea the fastest boat on Port Phillip?  Really, an 11 metre boat.  Come on Melbourne get your act together.

Yes. She would be the fastest boat on Port Phillip if you are using Primitive Cool, Hartbreaker, and Simply Fun as her main competition.

Yes. An 11 metre boat, but unfortunately a canting keeler.

Last I checked her sister ship Little Nico was pacing the good 52 footers in Sydney, so PC is no match based on current performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don, These are great little boats and absolute rocket ships.  I guess the point I was making is that the big boat scene in Melbourne has slipped somewhat in the last few years.  This doesn't take away from the quality of racing though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, lydia said:

So where is Simply Fun off too?

As far as I know she is yet to be sold? anyone with more info?

The new Scarlet Runner (J111) looks a treat. Apparently built in France, and a much higher quality finish than the USA built boats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Don said:

As far as I know she is yet to be sold? anyone with more info?

The new Scarlet Runner (J111) looks a treat. Apparently built in France, and a much higher quality finish than the USA built boats.

Still listed 

http://sundancemarine.com.au/brokerage/sail-yacht/2013-hh42-simply-fun/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wow, the new Shaw 11m "Akatea" was smokin' fast today, finishing 35 min ahead of the next boat, a 50fter. Notably, they were 59 minutes faster around the track than Smoothie which must be feeling like they had the brakes jammed on. "Akatea's" performance backs up from starting as distant last starter in last Thursday nights SYC Twilighter pursuit race and winning that too by over 7 minutes from the next boat. An expensive way to win, no doubt, but winners are still grinners, no matter the cost.

https://www.syc.com.au/raceresults/2017/klbt/pt/01RGrp20.htm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dream does not sound like much of a 50ft racer, but Akatea's is pretty impressive. Their PHS will take a hit after this.

RMYS looks like it has added a little boat that will stir up the fleet. The MC31 "38 SOUTH RACING" is now owned by a RMYS member and has started racing as "NEXT STEP". Based on it's PHS handicap, it looks like it will romp on Arcadia. PC is the only yacht with a higher handicap and I presume that in light conditions the MC31 could give PC a run for it's money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Last Post said:

Just wow, the new Shaw 11m "Akatea" was smokin' fast today, finishing 35 min ahead of the next boat, a 50fter. Notably, they were 59 minutes faster around the track than Smoothie which must be feeling like they had the brakes jammed on. "Akatea's" performance backs up from starting as distant last starter in last Thursday nights SYC Twilighter pursuit race and winning that too by over 7 minutes from the next boat. An expensive way to win, no doubt, but winners are still grinners, no matter the cost.

https://www.syc.com.au/raceresults/2017/klbt/pt/01RGrp20.htm

 

Amazing what an 800k 11m boat can do hey! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, hoppy said:

Dream does not sound like much of a 50ft racer, but Akatea's is pretty impressive. Their PHS will take a hit after this.

RMYS looks like it has added a little boat that will stir up the fleet. The MC31 "38 SOUTH RACING" is now owned by a RMYS member and has started racing as "NEXT STEP". Based on it's PHS handicap, it looks like it will romp on Arcadia. PC is the only yacht with a higher handicap and I presume that in light conditions the MC31 could give PC a run for it's money?

No

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2017 at 12:14 PM, SCANAS said:

Amazing what an 800k 11m boat can do hey! 

Sure is a slippery little sucker in that light stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2017 at 3:50 PM, Last Post said:

Now showing as sold. I wonder if they got the collar and leash with the deal?

Are you suggesting the boat is a dog?

I didn't realise you'd sailed on the boat so extensively to form that opinion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2017 at 7:37 PM, hoppy said:

Dream does not sound like much of a 50ft racer, but Akatea's is pretty impressive. Their PHS will take a hit after this.

Dream is a fast boat, cruiser/racer and sailed by a bunch of grumpy old men, but fast. Second in line honours against some quick boats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ockaroo said:

Dream is a fast boat, cruiser/racer and sailed by a bunch of grumpy old men, but fast. Second in line honours against some quick boats.

Dream won the 2016 Cock of the Bay against a good mixed fleet. Robt Green knows a thing or two about sailing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mexican said:

Are you suggesting the boat is a dog?

I didn't realise you'd sailed on the boat so extensively to form that opinion...

Never set foot on it Mex, observed it plenty.

Canine reference was perhaps a bit harsh and is hereby retracted, bit of an under-achiever for her rating might be a better position to take? 

Admittedly, she creamed the 4KSB fleet at Sandy in the Club's 2017 winter series but that's hardly stellar competition for a design with that rep.

Leaving the Bay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2017 at 7:37 PM, hoppy said:

Dream does not sound like much of a 50ft racer, but Akatea's is pretty impressive. Their PHS will take a hit after this.

RMYS looks like it has added a little boat that will stir up the fleet. The MC31 "38 SOUTH RACING" is now owned by a RMYS member and has started racing as "NEXT STEP". Based on it's PHS handicap, it looks like it will romp on Arcadia. PC is the only yacht with a higher handicap and I presume that in light conditions the MC31 could give PC a run for it's money?

Ignorance is bliss!

MC 31 is a fun little boat to race but really not that quick for what it was intended to be. Even a poorly sailed PC (which it often is) should have more than enough legs to see off that boat in any conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Ignorance is bliss!

It's got me where I am today...... Wherever that may be. 

Been looking through the super 11 site and with "NEXT STEP" and Tigress it looks like RMYS has two of the least competitive S11's in the bay.

I notice that S11 allows older boats by invitation to race under PHS, but I can't see any entry lists or results. I guess they have not invited anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now