dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, waco said:

The whole TP 52 Championships have been abandoned. The owner of a certain Botin 52 has been told it is not a TP by TP owners, and therefore the gigs off.

 

 

 

I don't want to play in your game, I don't like you anymore.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, waco said:

The whole TP 52 Championships have been abandoned. The owner of a certain Botin 52 has been told it is not a TP by TP owners, and therefore the gigs off.

About this....^^^^.... What's the full story? Is there a serious contention amongst the fleet that Ichi isn't a "genuine" TP52 in the "spirit" of the rule?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, waco said:

The whole TP 52 Championships have been abandoned. The owner of a certain Botin 52 has been told it is not a TP by TP owners, and therefore the gigs off.

 

 

 

Did the other owners decide to abandon the championship or did said owner of B52 pull the plug on it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2018 at 6:54 PM, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Did the other owners decide to abandon the championship or did said owner of B52 pull the plug on it all.

Hearing said owner of a  B-52 may have another pressing issue to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that happened faster than I expected. Thought they would get one regatta in before it all fell apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here we are a week out from some  of Melbourne’s biggest races of the year. The West Coaster could be said is equal or harder than the Hobart as you have no place to run when it turns to crap.

 

So forget that race out of sydney that everyone thinks is the only race in the world this time of year. What’s the Goss and who’s doing what races, Mel - Davenport / Mel - Hobart / West Coaster ? 

 

Pulpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hoppy said:

I just started this in the Ocean Racing forum 

 

 

7 hours ago, pulpit said:

So here we are a week out from some  of Melbourne’s biggest races of the year. The West Coaster could be said is equal or harder than the Hobart as you have no place to run when it turns to crap.

 

So forget that race out of sydney that everyone thinks is the only race in the world this time of year. What’s the Goss and who’s doing what races, Mel - Davenport / Mel - Hobart / West Coaster ? 

 

Pulpit

Plenty of places to run to. Stanley, Grassy, Macquarie Harbour, Port Davey, and Recherche Bay which all offer excellent shelter in all weather, plus a few other bolt holes offering limited shelter depending on wind direction. Not really harder than the RSH. It is 150 nm shorter to start with. I believe that the ORCV has made a rod for its own back by propagating the belief that it is a tougher race than the RSH; as by doing so it has discouraged a lot of people from doing it. Only 12 entries this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pulpit said:

So here we are a week out from some  of Melbourne’s biggest races of the year. The West Coaster could be said is equal or harder than the Hobart as you have no place to run when it turns to crap.

 

So forget that race out of sydney that everyone thinks is the only race in the world this time of year. What’s the Goss and who’s doing what races, Mel - Davenport / Mel - Hobart / West Coaster ? 

 

Pulpit

Well it will most likely be the Cookson50 Oskana. If they can get south and make the transition; all of the 40's behind them will be toast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hoppy said:

Looking like a light SSE for the Cock. 

If it was a northerly i'd think about heading to PM to watch the start ant take some photos from the shore

Balcony at SYC where they pass inside SYC4 is your best photo option Hoppy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, resist said:

Hope someone got video of the INSX/Dream/whoever clusterfuck at the start boat

Didn't look good, plenty of boats and a few clunks at the start boat... race was good, better than expected at first, nice cruising upwind until Arthur's seat, then then wind went... bit of a lottery getting out of that and then a nice reach to the finish. Good luck to the Devenport and Hobart racers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hoppy said:

a few?

What 50's have moved here aside from the TP52 Ambition? 

Carrera (Marten 49) from my side of town.  Add it to the TP, Rush and PC, then at least there are a few.  There will will 5 TPs at the AYC at PCs home club if they wanted to play on home waters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dbo said:

Carrera (Marten 49) from my side of town.  Add it to the TP, Rush and PC, then at least there are a few.  There will will 5 TPs at the AYC at PCs home club if they wanted to play on home waters.

Is Carrera from Auckland?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rushman said:

Is Carrera from Auckland?

Yep, went from Auckland to Noumea then back to Melbourne via Hamo. Nice looking boat, and good to see a fast'ish boat coming to Melbourne, but definitely not in TP52 league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Checked said:

Yep, went from Auckland to Noumea then back to Melbourne via Hamo. Nice looking boat, and good to see a fast'ish boat coming to Melbourne, but definitely not in TP52 league. 

I heard they had a stray electric current in an offshore race and fizzed a lot of carbon bits... Hope they fixed everything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some might say, that Carrera has recently demolished a T980.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Don said:

Some might say, that Carrera has recently demolished a T980.

Ouch, what's the go with that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Written off Walk on the Wild Side is heading back to Melbourne so the story goes. Picked up for a steal.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Swanno said:

Written off Walk on the Wild Side is heading back to Melbourne so the story goes. Picked up for a steal.

 

WOTWS was previously owned in Melb by the late Peter Hansen. We used to slip her on the Knights slipway because she was too wide for any of the travel-lifts here. Still is but Knights is long gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jono said:

Did Hoppy buy it?

JG, I doubt that very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 5:35 PM, Checked said:

Ouch, what's the go with that?

Carrera nailed her in a port starboard pre-start running down the line on the Petersville.

Dark Energy admitted fault and to my understanding and is a write off? (or at least now a serious hobby project to get back on the water)

Last time I saw Carrera she was still in the visitors pen at Royals looking rather sad. Bow/ proder damage with hull buckles both sides of the bow between the first and second crash bulkheads. Alot of carbon to buff out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 8:54 PM, hoppy said:

 

Not that I recall...

 

 

you're not kidding...

Large_WoWS4848.jpg

it looks very a un-1988 design

 

Very close to finished and due to head east shortly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 11:54 PM, hoppy said:

 

Not that I recall...

 

 

you're not kidding...

Large_WoWS4848.jpg

it looks very a un-1988 design

 

Remind me,  why was it known as Walk on the Windows?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Swanno said:

Very close to finished and due to head east shortly.

Good to hear WoWS will sail again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TUBBY said:

Remind me,  why was it known as Walk on the Windows?

 

See that black mast?  Go back to the silver coloured one at >100Kg heavier, and swap the lightweight PBO rigging for 1x19 and you'd be seeing even more of that flat bottom in that shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2019 at 12:08 AM, crafty_otter said:

Carrera nailed her in a port starboard pre-start running down the line on the Petersville.

Dark Energy admitted fault and to my understanding and is a write off? (or at least now a serious hobby project to get back on the water)

Last time I saw Carrera she was still in the visitors pen at Royals looking rather sad. Bow/ proder damage with hull buckles both sides of the bow between the first and second crash bulkheads. Alot of carbon to buff out...

SAM_7266.thumb.JPG.691b455bef7ce6e52e1fec31b6c465f6.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Recidivist said:

See that black mast?  Go back to the silver coloured one at >100Kg heavier, and swap the lightweight PBO rigging for 1x19 and you'd be seeing even more of that flat bottom in that shot.

Saw plenty of it over the years,  usually from behind, then in front, then behind......

She was quick in the right conditions,  but didn't see them often enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just back home in Melbs after 6 weeks island hopping out in the Pacific. Did I miss anything?

Thought I might wander down to the Squaddy and watch some of the "Aus Sailing Championships" next week until I saw the entry list showed only 11 boats. Granted,  there's some high quality boats in that list but WTF happened, they had 38 yachts and 16 multis racing last year -  just 11 and 4 this time? 

https://www.topyacht.com.au/db/kb/970

Only 4 Victorian boats in it so it looks like the locals aren't all that interested.  Has to be disappointing all round for the organisers but maybe indicative of the malaise that is Australian Sailing these days.

Also its a shame that the TP 52s can't park at RMYS 'cos its a tad too shallow in their marina - that'll split the social scene unless they run a shuttle bus up and down to Sandy where they all will have to live between races. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Run a regatta during the week on a non-holiday week, just before Geelong and expect a different result ?

Last year it was run over a weekend - nothing to do with clubs bitching (this time at least)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AYC's are underway in perfect Port Phillip bay conditions...and that's where the good news ends.

The live-streaming coverage is unwatchable - the sound quality, vision, commentary and vantage points are complete crap.

Somebody at AS needs to pull the plug...on the coverage and the event.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets hope Alex's photos are worth seeing because the streamed stuff they showed on FB today was certainly not. Looked like a badly done year 5 school project (Sorry any Yr 5 kids reading this, that's probably doing you a disservice)

With such a low entry for this event I doubt they have much of a budget for coverage. Better to leave it at quality stills and drone footage like last year than put up the garbage they have been showing today. Disclaimer FWIW: I drove the Media Boat for Alex and the Drone pilot at this event in 2018.

Very sad indictment on Aus Sailing. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a fuck off, 11 boats, Hollywood don't want to play with the 52s so is racing a couple of cruising boats, and they decide they need a div 3 where you are guaranteed a podium... fuck off Aus Sailing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

Competitive fleet:wacko:

image.png.aacf1ae1b99fabba3cf1202ca02fda83.png

 

 

image.png

Appears that most Melbourne boat owners does not support IRC rating and prefer the AMS rating unless you own a TP52 or B45! The exception is the Botin 40 which appears to be sailed well and also rates on IRC

The FOS entry list appears to be the same with most of the other types of race boats preferring the AMS cruising division.

I certainly prefer AMS over IRC as it rates most race boats better than IRC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely this event must be swirling the bowl in terms of an ongoing future in the Australian Sailing calendar?

I can see some validity in making it part of another major regatta that actually attracts good entry numbers such as Sydney Harbour Regatta, Festival of Sails, Lincoln Week, even Hammo but what we are seeing here is just plain embarrassing. Kudos to those interstate entries who have gone to the trouble and considerable expense of turning up to compete, only to be largely spurned by our local sailors; you deserve better. 

And to the publicity people who put out that streaming of yesterday's racing; good on you for having a red hot go but probably best you stick to what you are good, and practiced, at. What went to air yesterday was dreadful in appearance, commentary and content. Find someone who knows how to do that stuff and can deliver a knowledgeable and compelling commentary, like Nic Douglass or Harry from DUS, or just don't do it at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Appears that most Melbourne boat owners does not support IRC rating and prefer the AMS rating unless you own a TP52 or B45! The exception is the Botin 40 which appears to be sailed well and also rates on IRC

The FOS entry list appears to be the same with most of the other types of race boats preferring the AMS cruising division.

I certainly prefer AMS over IRC as it rates SOME race boats better than IRC

FIFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Flatbag said:

Kudos to those interstate entries who have gone to the trouble and considerable expense of turning up to compete, only to be largely spurned by our local sailors; you deserve better. 

Dunno about considerable expense - they're all here for the FoS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dark Cloud said:

Dunno about considerable expense - they're all here for the FoS

Go check out what it costs to truck even a 40fter, let alone a TP52, from Sydney to Melb, set it up in the yard at $YC,  put it on its keel,  rig it and prepare it to race, and then reverse the process at the end before trucking it home. And then there's the small matter of  crew costs and expenses.  You could probably fund a small African nation for a while on all that outlay - FOS just spreads that cost out a bit. And for those that sailed here from NSW, Tas and SA on their own bottoms, time is money, both ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Checked said:

What a fuck off, 11 boats, Hollywood don't want to play with the 52s so is racing a couple of cruising boats, and they decide they need a div 3 where you are guaranteed a podium... fuck off Aus Sailing. 

What? You think Matt Allen is going to miss out on giving himself another trophy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 3:19 PM, Dark Cloud said:

Run a regatta during the week on a non-holiday week, just before Geelong and expect a different result ?

Last year it was run over a weekend - nothing to do with clubs bitching (this time at least)

Bang on. We would have been another IRC and AMS entry but couldn’t get crew for the whole week on top of the long weekend for FOS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with running the AYC now is it’s to late for people to tack time onto their Christmas holidays and not use up all of their leave for the year and to early to ask the boss for more time off as most work places are now just getting back into the swing of things. 

 

I could understand if the AYC was being run in Tasmania that the first 2 weeks of January would of worked well as the top boats are already down their and a stand alone regatta would of worked well. 

 

When will AY get there heads out of the sand or out of matt’s Ass and work on the timing. I know that they say  a win is a win and that you can’t complain about the winner if you didn’t even turn up. I wounded how Matt will really feel about it if he wins and if it’s a hollow victory with so few boats ?

 

Wiith so many great regattas in this country all year round it’s sad to see this regatta so poorly planned and run by AY. If you remember this years regatta started out  it was going to be run in Tasmania and AY moved it back to Melbourne. Maybe it’s time for a shake up at AY and some new blood who are keen to see Sailing moving forward again. I know of a few staff members I’d be letting go that would be a good start and a few that I would promote. 

 

Pulpit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A cluster fuck for sure.who would want to take time off for this shit.

AS exists to support the Olympic campaigns of the few, ignore the majority of its financial contributors and member base, and to prop up the Sydney based pro outfits.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pulpit said:

When will AY get there heads out of the sand or out of matt’s Ass and work on the timing. I know that they say  a win is a win and that you can’t complain about the winner if you didn’t even turn up. I wounded how Matt will really feel about it if he wins and if it’s a hollow victory with so few boats ?

The answer is never, Matt & Marcus run fully pro crews so they'll never be short of money for boat shipping or crew wages, so fuck everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pulpit said:

The problem with running the AYC now is it’s to late for people to tack time onto their Christmas holidays and not use up all of their leave for the year and to early to ask the boss for more time off as most work places are now just getting back into the swing of things. 

 

I could understand if the AYC was being run in Tasmania that the first 2 weeks of January would of worked well as the top boats are already down their and a stand alone regatta would of worked well. 

 

When will AY get there heads out of the sand or out of matt’s Ass and work on the timing. I know that they say  a win is a win and that you can’t complain about the winner if you didn’t even turn up. I wounded how Matt will really feel about it if he wins and if it’s a hollow victory with so few boats ?

 

Wiith so many great regattas in this country all year round it’s sad to see this regatta so poorly planned and run by AY. If you remember this years regatta started out  it was going to be run in Tasmania and AY moved it back to Melbourne. Maybe it’s time for a shake up at AY and some new blood who are keen to see Sailing moving forward again. I know of a few staff members I’d be letting go that would be a good start and a few that I would promote. 

 

Pulpit 

I do think the plan is to run the next AYC in Tassie straight after the S2H. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I was pleased that RMYS was given the opportunity to host the AYC but in hindsight were were perhaps sold a lemon. I hope our volunteers and staff at least did a great job with what we were given. 

I may be wrong, but I believe RMYS chose the date to run it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, hoppy said:

or we should give up on the AYC AS and only host state championships.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20yrs from now the yachts will autonomously deliver themselves back & forward to events using bolt on solar panels to drive electric engines & yacht racing will get big again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone outside Port Phillip use AMS.

Not just the CYC that uses ORC,  up this way it seems pretty common.  While I admit to being NSW centric I haven't even seen any club offer AMS for a regatta or pointscore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hoppy said:

Congratulations to Ichi Ban and Khalesi for their clean sweeps in ORCi divisions 1 & 2

http://www.topyacht.net.au/results/rmys/2018/ayc/mono/SGrp2.htm

 

Also a big shout out to Team Hollywood for their utterly unexpected victory in the Lada vs Lamborghini division.

Victory is sweet. 

Have to say there was much improved photos and video coverage of this (non) event after the debacle of the first day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TUBBY said:

Does anyone outside Port Phillip use AMS.

Not just the CYC that uses ORC,  up this way it seems pretty common.  While I admit to being NSW centric I haven't even seen any club offer AMS for a regatta or pointscore.

Capture.thumb.JPG.4397ac78f210f90b81fce05044aeede3.JPG

Lincoln (aka 'The centre of the Universe'!) offers it for the race and the Regatta.

Our Club in Adelaide has very few IRC entrants.  I confess my ignorance, but the main grumble seems to be cost(?).  So the Club introduced a half-arsed priced 'local' version that doesn't count anywhere else.  The cynics say it was supposed to entice other entrants so that a big boat owner here could genuinely say he raced against other boats in order to win the IRC bling.  Nobody much seems to have taken up the generous offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rumpig said:

So cos you stuffed it up and hit the mark @Couta you thing you deserve redress

https://www.topyacht.com.au/protests/protests_prnt.php?ev=107.107.107.1.966

There has been a not infrequent history of RGYC laying marks with too much scope at FoS over the years. Waters there are reasonably shallow but with quite a bit of tidal flow so the scope can extend out a long way between the marks and the anchors setting a trap for the unwary. The comment from the Jury that the mark was laid "Correctly"  might be considered 'arse -covering' at best. In shallower waters with tidal flow the scope should be set with a mid-weight to hold the line vertically beneath the mark at a reasonable depth to prevent what has been happening over many years. 

I can remember one of the Inglis 47s hairing off on a reach after hooking the weather mark in an Advertiser Trophy race in about 25 kts many years ago with the whole fleet chasing her, trying to get to the fast moving mark. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 7:00 PM, Rumpig said:

So cos you stuffed it up and hit the mark @Couta you thing you deserve redress

https://www.topyacht.com.au/protests/protests_prnt.php?ev=107.107.107.1.966

FACTS
1. The Wilson Spit Laid Mark was laid in the position described in the Sailing Instructions, the mark was laid correctly.
2. VOODOO's keel hooked onto the ground tackle causing the mark to come in contact with her.
3. VOODOO freed the ground tackle from the keel and relaid the mark
4. VOODOO carried out a one turn penalty.
5. If VOODOO,s performance after the incident was comparable to its performance prior to the incident it would be reasonably expected to have overtaken the boats in its vicinity at the time of the incident, however she lost time on those boats

CONCLUSIONS
VOODOO's finishing position has not made significantly worse by an improper action or omission by the Race Committee.

 

 

Gotta be more to the story?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK...so we hook up the mark (and yes we gave it a wide berth)...we pick up the mark and note that there is no weight on the (very long) line (there is a clip where the weight chain should go but its clipped onto...more line) we drop the mark and do our turn. We take it to the room...and they find in our favour and give us 6 minutes (it took us ~8-10mins to execute our work!!)....all good...until the results are re-calculated and the time allowance gives us line honours. The committee is reconvened and the earlier decision overturned with the statement above). Incidentally there' were rumours that the line weights were often not used cos it's harder work for the mark laying crews to retrieve the marks!!

The other issue (the reason that the TP's got ahead...because even after the mark issue they were close behind)....was that the course as designated in the SI's...took the fleet from the laid mark to the channel marker further up the channel. Unfortunately those designing the course didn't allow for Voodoos draft...so while the TPs reached away directly to the next mark, Voodoo were forced to sail upwind to the channel for deeper water...and the TP's got in front....Hmm.(note item 5 in the Facts Found statement!!)

Day 2 morning race....long story short....leading the fleet to the finish...Voodoo discovers that the finish line has been laid on the "Spoil Ground", so because of draft issues, the boat can't get to it!! Back to the Room...this time they give Voodoo a nominal finish time.

Bugger...but after all...it is Geelong...and we're there for the annual catch-up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Voodoo will not be invited back to Geelong.... Going to the room TWICE and they sailed in the cruising division!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Couta said:

OK...so we hook up the mark (and yes we gave it a wide berth)...we pick up the mark and note that there is no weight on the (very long) line (there is a clip where the weight chain should go but its clipped onto...more line) we drop the mark and do our turn. We take it to the room...and they find in our favour and give us 6 minutes (it took us ~8-10mins to execute our work!!)....all good...until the results are re-calculated and the time allowance gives us line honours. The committee is reconvened and the earlier decision overturned with the statement above). Incidentally there' were rumours that the line weights were often not used cos it's harder work for the mark laying crews to retrieve the marks!!

The other issue (the reason that the TP's got ahead...because even after the mark issue they were close behind)....was that the course as designated in the SI's...took the fleet from the laid mark to the channel marker further up the channel. Unfortunately those designing the course didn't allow for Voodoos draft...so while the TPs reached away directly to the next mark, Voodoo were forced to sail upwind to the channel for deeper water...and the TP's got in front....Hmm.(note item 5 in the Facts Found statement!!)

Day 2 morning race....long story short....leading the fleet to the finish...Voodoo discovers that the finish line has been laid on the "Spoil Ground", so because of draft issues, the boat can't get to it!! Back to the Room...this time they give Voodoo a nominal finish time.

Bugger...but after all...it is Geelong...and we're there for the annual catch-up...

And you seem surprised you had these issues when you bring a very deep draft boat to Geelong and race it in the inner harbour? Us cruising division boats found it somewhat funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

It seems not all is rosy and fantastic in the world of AMS after all.

Screenshot_20190128-184332_Facebook.jpg

Oh you have to be joking...surely.

The fact that an Elliot 50 footer has an AMS of 0.978 is the injustice, it should be 1.065.

One of the reasons my boat is for sale is I'm sick and tired of trying to compete with large boats with stupidly low ratings i.e. yours and B45's as examples. But then you think it is perfectly OK for an RP36 to have and AMS of 1.037 I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rushman said:

Voodoo will not be invited back to Geelong.... Going to the room TWICE and they sailed in the cruising division!

Not aware that Festival of Sails is an Invitation event?

I have absolutely no connection with Voodoo or anyone on the boat that I am aware of but as I see it, Voodoo entered in good faith and paid their money to be there like everybody else. Surely they are entitled to a reasonable expectation that the organisers, who accepted their entry AND their entry fee, will run a course that the yacht they accepted as an entry is capable of sailing. They have raced 100fters down there in the past and set courses to accommodate them, why not this time?

On that basis, it is perfectly reasonable for them to protest / seek redress on both counts. I agree it seems odd that they chose to sail in the AMS Cruising Division but that's their choice. Not everybody goes there to beat themselves up in the serious racing Divs, look at the numbers FFS! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent points FB, I agree.

However, if you choose to race in Cruising AMS division, don't go motoring through another divisions (IRC/AMS rating) course and starting area during pre-start when you have no business being there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone get the story on the serious collision pre-start at the AMS Cruising start on Sunday am? It was a complete shitfight that we stayed well out of and let it clear before we headed up the course. Someone said you could see the internal "furniture" of the boat that was hit....very serious situation where lives were at risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to Secret Mens Business for the Geelong series win.

Watching the TP52's line up was very entertaining, but jeez you guys showed some guts in the last race. The third leg of the final race must have felt like being repeatedly kicked in the nuts.  But you proved the old adage, never give up, you just never know what can happen next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Shit, for a moment I thought you meant the Seaquest RP36's... Now I see you meant Smooth Criminal

It does sound strange for an AMS rating to be changed so greatly without offering some sort of explanation and a revised certificate. I would presume that they were plugging loop holes in the rating system that the Elliott slips through.  

An 8.7% loophole, that's more like a canyon. Sounds like the 2 sail rating was applied to the full rating. Be interesting in learning more, I might request a copy of the new certificate for late night reading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

It seems not all is rosy and fantastic in the world of AMS after all.

Screenshot_20190128-184332_Facebook.jpg

Big call about the effect of a rating change on estimated value. If you want to play in the measured ratings game then that's always a risk, not matter the measurement system. IOR used to wipe out whole fleets on an annual basis, the AMS dudes are amateurs in that respect.

As for holding her value, lets just say that Stampede is not a boat that crops up much in conversations about sailing excellence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Couta said:

Did anyone get the story on the serious collision pre-start at the AMS Cruising start on Sunday am? It was a complete shitfight that we stayed well out of and let it clear before we headed up the course. Someone said you could see the internal "furniture" of the boat that was hit....very serious situation where lives were at risk.

Apart from the brilliant idea of putting the multihull start line 100 meters to leeward of the Mono fleet line AND THEN starting the multi's 5 minutes BEFORE the mono's...I wasn't aware of any significant problems on the line, certainly no banging and crashing.  Any names???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, hoppy said:

It definitely requires some sort of explanation. If it is due to changes in the secret algorithm, they wont want to offer specifics, but something better than silence should be offered.   

I understand an error was found on their original cert last year, thus the correction. And said owner was told something to this effect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

I understand an error was found on their original cert last year, thus the correction. And said owner was told something to this effect

So, I wonder if the owner saw the incorrect rating certificate and decided to keep his mouth shut? If he did.....hmmm. Given how many times he had appeared in the protest room in the past...well.

Come to think about it, that's the second AMS rating in two weeks, that appears dodgy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering, has anyone else noticed that you now have to state a reason for editing a post in SA now?

Why is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Far as I know there is no time limit on a request for redress, as long as acted upon as soon as possible upon release for "new" information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don said:

Just wondering, has anyone else noticed that you now have to state a reason for editing a post in SA now?

Why is that?

Been that way for a while. Ignore it, everybody else does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stampede are universally disliked, any boat that has to advertise for crew every week might be telling you something... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, judge said:

Apart from the brilliant idea of putting the multihull start line 100 meters to leeward of the Mono fleet line AND THEN starting the multi's 5 minutes BEFORE the mono's...I wasn't aware of any significant problems on the line, certainly no banging and crashing.  Any names???

Yeah...that was "interesting" - the timing was perfect...the rafts were tacking thru the prestart AMS Cruising fleet with around a minute to go....then there was an enormous bang as the two mono hulls collided just a few boat lengths back from the start line....

Very curious decisions there...they could easily have dispensed with the Multihull course and just run them off the AMS Cruising course & start line with a 10 minute time gap between starts (it was pretty much an identical course!).

It looked like unnecessary complexity, with associated opportunity for major disaster!

As for the collision:

ELLIPSE withdrew from race 2 in acknowledgement of her infringement.
CONCLUSIONS
Reckless requested to withdraw her protest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Couta said:

Yeah...that was "interesting" - the timing was perfect...the rafts were tacking thru the prestart AMS Cruising fleet with around a minute to go....then there was an enormous bang as the two mono hulls collided just a few boat lengths back from the start line....

Very curious decisions there...they could easily have dispensed with the Multihull course and just run them off the AMS Cruising course & start line with a 10 minute time gap between starts (it was pretty much an identical course!).

It looked like unnecessary complexity, with associated opportunity for major disaster!

 

Ahhhh, Geelong. A few years ago, they laid the weather mark for the cruising class about 150 metres to weather of the downwind gate for the Div. 1 Racing fleet. Made life more than interesting for those of us on the 50+ footers charging downwind at 15+ knots and preparing for a spinnaker drop and being confronted by an almost solid wall of very slow cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ classic!! or when they had the couta boats on the same leeward mark as the sports boats...with all sorts of yelling going on as Assy kites were screaming in at all angles claiming rights they will have in a few moments but don't have right now....as the Couta Boats waddled goose-wing style as they approach the 2 boat lengths circle..... Faaark!!

It wasn't so funny when they didn't have hitch marks at the top mark and Thompson 7's were hoisting massive kites and blindly heading straight back thru the fleet as they approached the windward mark....one boat was T-boned and sunk on day 2.....and we were similarly hit on Day 3. The result was I ended up in hospital for months & months with 5 fractured vertebrae and a big question mark over my future. Good times!! I still celebrate Jan 28 @ 2.30pm! To add insult to injury, the guys who hit us sent me a bottle of Bundy by way of apology!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 1:49 PM, Flatbag said:

Big call about the effect of a rating change on estimated value. If you want to play in the measured ratings game then that's always a risk, not matter the measurement system. IOR used to wipe out whole fleets on an annual basis, the AMS dudes are amateurs in that respect.

As for holding her value, lets just say that Stampede is not a boat that crops up much in conversations about sailing excellence.

Have a look at the new j1220’s hcp

water ballasted , big chutes , carbon rig and rates lower than the j111 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zeusproject said:

Have a look at the new j1220’s hcp

water ballasted , big chutes , carbon rig and rates lower than the j111 

And wins the ORCV winter series and ORCV know the rating may be wrong suggest it should be higher and then sit on there hands.   

Admin of the rule stinks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites