dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

And, it's from Royal Fucking Brighton Yacht Club

• Like 2

On 6/6/2018 at 12:57 PM, hoppy said:

The RP63 Voodoo2 is now in Fiji

https://www.facebook.com/Voodoo-Sailing-553976477991625/

https://my.yb.tl/Muttley

Whilst their destination is Sydney. Maybe if we are lucky it's going there just to refit and race the S2H before coming to Melbourne to be based???  

Just heard that the baby Voodoo will be retained for bay racing

On 6/24/2018 at 10:15 AM, Dark Cloud said:

And, it's from Royal Fucking Brighton Yacht Club

Strikingly similar burgee too. Rancid Fur-Burger Yacht Club?

Has been left to rot  for sale in Melbourne since just after the 2017 Hobart. Not much action on the big race boat sales front right now by the look of things. 

Maybe a bit too much bad ju-ju history with that particular boat; what with Slotty's alleged transgressions and then being dragged sideways off a beach a bit later? 

Pretty tidy considering it has sat for a year.

Wasn’t M3 the boat that the owner from Perth died a few years back and the crew got left some money to keep campaigning it till it ran out ?

pulpit

On 6/28/2018 at 3:13 PM, hoppy said:

Just heard that the baby Voodoo will be retained for bay racing

Nah Hoppy - ya heard wrong - she's off to the Apple Isle! 

On 6/21/2007 at 7:25 PM, Swanno said:

here are a couple of pics from the late 70's

I hope the quality is ok. HP scan edited in MS Paint

post-12901-1182424973_thumb.jpg

post-12901-1182425037_thumb.jpg

So 11 years later, I am quoting myself having a bit of a search for Syrenka / Stiletto.

Last news I got was that she was back to timber in a boat builders yard in Woornambool but struggled to find anything.

Anyone know where she is nowadays? 

2 hours ago, Swanno said:

So 11 years later, I am quoting myself having a bit of a search for Syrenka / Stiletto.

Last news I got was that she was back to timber in a boat builders yard in Woornambool but struggled to find anything.

Is that the old Syrenka / Sea Anchor aka The Splinter? Blast from the distant past there buddy.. Rex Palmers old ride.

Like a half-tide rock, she was even wetter than the seats at a Justin Bieber concert.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ockaroo said:

Don't know where she is but sailed on her many years ago, be interesting to see now, there was talk of fitting a cabin. 

stiletto13.jpg.3e54532eb1a0af509750090c7eb1427e.jpg

Did Julian Boyd aka Animal sail this to Melbourne in the late 80's?

1 hour ago, Ockaroo said:

Don't know where she is but sailed on her many years ago, be interesting to see now, there was talk of fitting a cabin. 

stiletto13.jpg.3e54532eb1a0af509750090c7eb1427e.jpg

Nice. 44th Birthday this year. 

Dad turned 70 which had me looking through some old photos wondering where she is now days. 

1 hour ago, Rushman said:

Did Julian Boyd aka Animal sail this to Melbourne in the late 80's?

The boat would have been over there then as the blue boat was launched in 88 after a 4 year build. 

7 minutes ago, Swanno said:

The boat would have been over there then as the blue boat was launched in 88 after a 4 year build. 

We did discuss this when I was in Perth, I was trying to see if any of the Melbourne Anarchists can remember that far back

42 minutes ago, Rushman said:

We did discuss this when I was in Perth, I was trying to see if any of the Melbourne Anarchists can remember that far back

It is a push!

I posted back in 2007 and a few people had some leads though the boat builder in Warrnambool is an unknown. There was a Fiberglass mob that has some boats in the backyard on Google Maps but they went under a few years back. I was able to use street view to see a bit more of one of them though it doesn't have a plumb bow.

The photo above gave me a smile on the train this morning, funnily enough as I was going past the newer (but still 30) version

4 minutes ago, Hold Fast said:

I did a walk of the marina the other day and was wondering where Voodoo was. Seems strange that it was taken down to Tassie to be sold.

I noticed that most of the photos are from the old listing

4 hours ago, hoppy said:

I did a walk of the marina the other day and was wondering where Voodoo was. Seems strange that it was taken down to Tassie to be sold.

I noticed that most of the photos are from the old listing

There's a story behind that - new owner has put it straight back on the market after 2 weeks.....

4 minutes ago, 42 South said:

There's a story behind that - new owner has put it straight back on the market after 2 weeks.....

:o got a second opinion from surveyor wife ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hold Fast said:

maybe figured with an RP63, suddenly not much use for a Cookson 12?

If you have more money than sense, it seems logical to keep a C12 for club racing and save the RP63 and the hassles of getting crew for the big races. 

I am intrigued that someone would buy it and then list it so quickly.

18 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

:o got a second opinion from surveyor wife ?

That seems possible as I know of one recent racer sale that fell through because the wife said no after the deposit was paid.  

1 hour ago, Last Post said:

So it was sold to Tassie, then immediately re-listed,. Hmmm, interesting. One of those associated with that boat has generated much more than a whisper about his business dealings in the past. Out of sight, out of mind?

This place loves a rumour - but to be clear - the C12 sale was finalised a couple of months ago (and the boat was taken by the new owner down to Tas)......all the revenue from that sale has been invested in the R/P63 in the form of new sails (!!)

I think LP was referring to the new Tassie owner relisting it... ?

56 minutes ago, pulpit said:

Don

Any idea how much it will cost to come and play in a new Figaro 3 ?

pulpit

P.

I'm waiting for Dave Beck from Sundance Yachts to return from the Sydney Boat Show when it finishes.

But there is a new one for sale on Boat Sales for A$175K sail away, but does that include sails? It is advertised as "Sail away" price??

14 hours ago, Don said:

P.

I'm waiting for Dave Beck from Sundance Yachts to return from the Sydney Boat Show when it finishes.

But there is a new one for sale on Boat Sales for A$175K sail away, but does that include sails? It is advertised as "Sail away" price??

Wouldn't you be better off talking with someone who actually knows something about yachts?

On 8/4/2018 at 1:18 AM, Last Post said:

Wouldn't you be better off talking with someone who actually knows something about yachts?

Really? You need to restart your anti-depressive

14 hours ago, SCANAS said:

You’ve missed the point

6 minutes ago, Chucky said:

This Class 40 is great value and looks a better set up than the SYC class 40. I am pretty sure the SYC class 40 is also coming up for sale shortly.

Yep not many in Oz. Be great for someone looking for shorthanded. 3m draft might be a wee bit tough. 

On 8/5/2018 at 5:23 PM, Chucky said:

This Class 40 is great value and looks a better set up than the SYC class 40. I am pretty sure the SYC class 40 is also coming up for sale shortly.

Pretty sure it isn't in Fremantle

On 8/22/2018 at 12:02 PM, Phatarm said:

New Joust? 

Flirt, or so I’ve heard. Plus 2 more looking, apparently. 

18 hours ago, chute said:

Know what boat?

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 8:51 PM, chute said:

Didn't CD get out of big boats due to young kids?  Maybe not him but someone else then?

3 minutes ago, dbo said:

Didn't CD get out of big boats due to young kids?  Maybe not him but someone else then?

well yes, maybe they've grown up....

On 8/24/2018 at 11:23 AM, Next Level said:

One for a current F40OD owner ....

2 F40 OD owners/partnerships at Sandy but both boats in Sydney, 1 at Brighton but boat (F40Mod) in Whitsundays. Narrows it down a bit.

Its 8 years since CD sold the last Flirt to SAF. Intriguing.

The F40OD owner I'm thinking about is from Sydney and his boat is based in Sydney too.

22 hours ago, Next Level said:

The F40OD owner I'm thinking about is from Sydney and his boat is based in Sydney too.

I wonder why this thread is called "Melbourne Big Boat Fleet" ?

31 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

I wonder why this thread is called "Melbourne Big Boat Fleet" ?

There are not many big boats here to discuss, so why not branch out to other locations...

BTW is Toecutter moving from here? 

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

There are not many big boats here to discuss, so why not branch out to other locations...

100%!

14 hours ago, hoppy said:

Toecutter 11 is moving about 500m from her original home base.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 6:40 PM, Next Level said:

Gordon K. Going offshore on the TP52 but still racing inshore on the F40OD. Busy program.

41 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Gordon K. Going offshore on the TP52 but still racing inshore on the F40OD. Busy program.

poor guy..

On 9/1/2018 at 8:14 AM, SPORTSCAR said:

Toecutter 11 is moving about 500m from her original home base.

Saw her out of the water at Royals a couple of weeks ago.

1 hour ago, crafty_otter said:

Saw her out of the water at Royals a couple of weeks ago.

She hadn't moved from that spot on the hardstand at RYCV for about three years - will be good to see TC2 sailing again soon.

Perhaps a few memories from you Victorians though Walk on the Wild Side fell off a cradle during a perticularly nasty squall (60+ knots) a couple of months back. Insurance has written the boat off even with what looks to be very repairable damage so it is sad to see the end of the boat, well this edition of the boat.

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

11 hours ago, Swanno said:

Perhaps a few memories from you Victorians though Walk on the Wild Side fell off a cradle during a perticularly nasty squall (60+ knots) a couple of months back. Insurance has written the boat off even with what looks to be very repairable damage so it is sad to see the end of the boat, well this edition of the boat.

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

We did a lot of repair work on WOTWS when she was owned here by the late Peter Hansen. We had slipped her in preparation for a Sydney-Hobart and race prepared her undersides, described by the shipwrights as like an ironing board, only flat. Weather held up the program and the hotshot delivery skipper from Sydney decided to make a run for it, driving her out through Port Phillip Heads into a raging southerly with a huge sea running against the outgoing tide. He dropped WOTWS off some huge seas and was lucky to survive the carnage that ensued. She limped back to the slipway with her main bulkheads sprung and a lot of other structural problems. Peter was philosophical about it and decided to can the Sydney race and enter the Melbourne Hobart that year but we still had to work rolling 24 hour shifts to get her fixed in time. 

Sad.  I still remember her as "Walk on the Windows"!

Will always remember the way she arked up off a Southport start (88?) fell over put up a new pink kite took off fell over & still went through the heads at about 15 knots with the remains of both kites still flying from the masthead.

Garth, the owner over here, had done a lot of work on the boat over the years and last year, the boat won the Freo to Bali race, and I believe that she has broken and still holds the Darwin to Ambon record.

When the alum stick went, a lot of carbon and glass was added to stiffen the boat and it seemed to work a treat.

She had done tens of thousands of miles over here but has been for a sale for a very long time.

12 hours ago, Swanno said:

Garth, the owner over here, had done a lot of work on the boat over the years and last year, the boat won the Freo to Bali race, and I believe that she has broken and still holds the Darwin to Ambon record.

When the alum stick went, a lot of carbon and glass was added to stiffen the boat and it seemed to work a treat.

She had done tens of thousands of miles over here but has been for a sale for a very long time.

Swanno, the Ambon record is now held by Antipodes, Geoff Hill's Santa Cruz 72 from Hong Kong.  Sad to lose WOWS though, Garth put a lot of work (and money) into her.  She was for sale because he had health issues, but he wasn't too upset about the lack of buyers the last time I spoke to him (over a year ago now).  He loved the boat.

11 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Swanno, the Ambon record is now held by Antipodes, Geoff Hill's Santa Cruz 72 from Hong Kong.  Sad to lose WOWS though, Garth put a lot of work (and money) into her.  She was for sale because he had health issues, but he wasn't too upset about the lack of buyers the last time I spoke to him (over a year ago now).  He loved the boat.

Happily corrected regarding the record. 

She had been for sale since the mid/early 2000's. Not sure how seriously though it didn't stop the boat racing fairly hard. The last Bali race was an all out attempt so it was good to see the boat take home a haul of silverware.

She had been for sale since the mid/early 2000's. Not sure how seriously though it didn't stop the boat racing fairly hard. 

I think that was largely just an open listing with his broker mate Tony B.  In that time, Garth put on the carbon stick (2 actually), carbon sheathed the hull, installed twin rudders and did a heap of other work, so it was only when he had his health issues that WOWS was seriously for sale.

On 9/26/2018 at 8:26 AM, Recidivist said:

I think that was largely just an open listing with his broker mate Tony B.  In that time, Garth put on the carbon stick (2 actually), carbon sheathed the hull, installed twin rudders and did a heap of other work, so it was only when he had his health issues that WOWS was seriously for sale.

Ah, ok, I figured it was an open listing. 

I guess the insurance company has made the decision for him.

Ah, ok, I figured it was an open listing. 

I guess the insurance company has made the decision for him.

Why? Insurance companies aren't in the business of going through people's health records

5 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

Why? Insurance companies aren't in the business of going through people's health records

They don't. The Insurance Co has written off the boat after it was blown over and severely damaged so that makes the decision for him. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 1:27 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

2 F40 OD owners/partnerships at Sandy but both boats in Sydney, 1 at Brighton but boat (F40Mod) in Whitsundays. Narrows it down a bit.

Its 8 years since CD sold the last Flirt to SAF. Intriguing.

Source Facebook, but this is it. C Dares new boat. 

42678851_584119101991022_4846718349830258688_o (1).jpg

2 hours ago, power soak said:

Source Facebook, but this is it. C Dares new boat. 

42678851_584119101991022_4846718349830258688_o (1).jpg

That was the 2011 Audi All4one if I'm not mistaken.

On 10/1/2018 at 8:35 PM, Flippin Out said:

That was the 2011 Audi All4one if I'm not mistaken.

@Flippin Out I think so. TP52 archive seems to say it was Audi All4One - Beecom - Temptation - 

On 16 July 2018 at 9:40 PM, Swanno said:

Was at Trewathas yard in Warrnambool - builders of Adams 12 & 13's - a few years back getting extended 4 or 5 foot. Has since changed ownership and is in a Warrnambool backyard not too far off getting wet again.

On 10/11/2018 at 3:13 PM, Mahina said:

Was at Trewathas yard in Warrnambool - builders of Adams 12 & 13's - a few years back getting extended 4 or 5 foot. Has since changed ownership and is in a Warrnambool backyard not too far off getting wet again.

Awesomely. Do you happen to know the current owners? I would love to have a chat.

On 10/11/2018 at 3:13 PM, Mahina said:

Thanks to the contact details. Spoke to  He current owner today who has had it in the shed for 8 years after bending the rudder at 90 degrees when doing 25 knots. Where's that poo emoji!

added a layer of glass on the outside of the hull and added a wheel. Thoughts of a fin a bulb rather than the abomination that was there after her life at Hobson bay.

He is heading overseas for a few months and will send me some pics once he is back.

Cheers once again.

9 hours ago, Swanno said:

Thanks to the contact details. Spoke to  He current owner today who has had it in the shed for 8 years after bending the rudder at 90 degrees when doing 25 knots. Where's that poo emoji!

added a layer of glass on the outside of the hull and added a wheel. Thoughts of a fin a bulb rather than the abomination that was there after her life at Hobson bay.

He is heading overseas for a few months and will send me some pics once he is back.

Cheers once again.

Glad to be of help Swanno, looking forward to her getting on the water again, it has been a while.

On 10/3/2018 at 6:29 PM, power soak said:

@Flippin Out I think so. TP52 archive seems to say it was Audi All4One - Beecom - Temptation - 

It’s now in the yard at SYC. Looks like a nice ride. 

On 7/16/2018 at 9:40 PM, Swanno said:

Yep in Warrnambool 

The Trewatha’s bought her raced for a bit and then worked out it’s a heap ofshit 

On 7/17/2018 at 10:03 AM, Swanno said:

It is a push!

I posted back in 2007 and a few people had some leads though the boat builder in Warrnambool is an unknown. There was a Fiberglass mob that has some boats in the backyard on Google Maps but they went under a few years back. I was able to use street view to see a bit more of one of them though it doesn't have a plumb bow.

The photo above gave me a smile on the train this morning, funnily enough as I was going past the newer (but still 30) version

The Trewatha boys have it in Warrnambool. They bought it sailed it for a bit but we’re going to do mods but put it in shed and nasnt seen light of day since .they have a small collection of sailing boats in that shed 

8 hours ago, Zeusproject said:

Yep in Warrnambool 

The Trewatha’s bought her raced for a bit and then worked out it’s a heap ofshit 

Spoke to the current owner, didn't get that impression from him. Most pieces of shit don't last a day let alone 40 odd years.

Was doing a twilight on Wednesday and crossed fleets with Royals and recognised a very familiar Sydney 38, "Faster Forward"  that had been listed up in Sydney for ages and sold very recently. So there is one more yacht for Melbourne's "big boat" fleet (anything over 36 seems big here these days) 

1 hour ago, crafty_otter said:

Re: Faster Forward. Matt has it now gearing up for Hobart.

Yeah, I saw that on the topyacht profile.

On 10/26/2018 at 8:08 PM, Flippin Out said:

It’s now in the yard at SYC. Looks like a nice ride. 

Just noticed that is entered into the Aus IRC championships and is named Ambition

On 11/11/2018 at 1:35 AM, hoppy said:

Just noticed that is entered into the Aus IRC championships and is named Ambition

Will be interesting to see the crew the CD puts together. With the lack of genuine "Big Boats" currently in Melbourne he'd be able to pick and choose to a certain point I'd think and get a very good crew together but then again he might be getting the old band back together again ???

1 hour ago, Flippin Out said:

Will be interesting to see the crew the CD puts together. With the lack of genuine "Big Boats" currently in Melbourne he'd be able to pick and choose to a certain point I'd think and get a very good crew together but then again he might be getting the old band back together again ???

His old boat Cory 49 Flirt/Melb audi centre????

Question to all racing yacht owners, skipper, or other persons responsible for a yacht during races, this may sound silly but I am asking this in all seriousness!

DO ANY OF YOU ACTUALLY READ THE NOTICE OF RACE BEFORE ENTERING A SERIES AND PAYING YOUR ENTRY FEES?

Why read them Don, they are written by fuckers that have no fucking idea about anything much but shit they are so important.

I am yet to see a NOR or Sailing Instruction in Australia yet that actually reflects the applicable law or takes into account an owners insurance obligations.

Fuck we only have one state where they have worked out the Col Regs and the RRS after all this time and that was done by a special Rule in the Col Regs not anything done through a NOR

Don, think about this one then, why would a Organising Authority require insurance cover then ask for releases where the giving of the releases gives the insurer the discretion not to answer a claim by the owner.

Pretty fucking short sighted.

Better off getting as many insurers in the claim pool as possible not exclude them.

Hey what do I know I only work in the area.

And I have given up trying to explain it to dum people.

Here is another one, given the expanded definitions of “worker” in most Worksafe legislation how you require a Worksafe policy for regatta where it is likely for instance the owner pays accomodation and expenses.

Standard private owner policy does not answer worker claims.

World has moved on but proper consideration of race documents has not.

Uniform maritime legislation was a huge change that was lost on SA.

We are seeing another major change right now with commercial safety prescriptions yet as usual SA is heading the other direction as they do not see themselves as part of the larger marine community.

Lydia, I agree with you.

Gorn Frantic, you have made my day.

The Notice of Race is essentially a contract which owners, skippers, persons resonsible for the boat AGREE TO ADHERE To when they nominate and pay their entry fee.

So you tell me if you agree to the following published NOR clauses and agree to the direction these clauses are taking yacht racing, not off the beach racing:

Before each race, all boats are required to sign on all their crew via the xxxxxxxxxxx app. , or through their xxxxxxxx online entry prior to first race of the day.

Non-compliance is subject to a protest by the Race Committee.

A breach of this requirement is not protestable by another boat.

If found by the Protest Committee to have breached this requirement, the penalty will be having her race score increased by 25% of the difference between the boat’s finishing score and the score for DSQ in her division or class, rounded up to the next whole number. All other boats’ scores will remain the same. This changes RRS Rule 64.1 and appendix A.

A boat that intends to compete in an AS sanctioned national or state championship, or any other race that the RC may nominate as a significant race, may, not less than seven days prior to the event, apply in writing to the RC to award average points for the Club Aggregate race missed.
The approval for the award of average points shall be at the sole discretion of the RC and is not subject to request for redress. The average points shall only be awarded to boats that actually compete in the designated race/s. A delay of boat works, transport or other non-racing events shall not be grounds for obtaining average points.
The missed race(s) will be scored by allocating average points of all races sailed to date, rounded up to the nearest 0.1 point. This averaging shall apply to scoring for Aggregate races only.

I could add more but the above is enough to start the discussion.

16 hours ago, lydia said:

Why read them Don, they are written by fuckers that have no fucking idea about anything much but shit they are so important.

I am yet to see a NOR or Sailing Instruction in Australia yet that actually reflects the applicable law or takes into account an owners insurance obligations.

Fuck we only have one state where they have worked out the Col Regs and the RRS after all this time and that was done by a special Rule in the Col Regs not anything done through a NOR

That would be the NSW modification to COLREG Rule 1 correct?

1 hour ago, Don said:

That would be the NSW modification to COLREG Rule 1 correct?

Rule A from memory

Qld operates under a MOU which does appear to be enforceable.

Also the person issuing the permits does not have power to waive application of the Marine Safety Regs

CorBy 49. I think it went to Safrica in about 2010? He's been playing with the SBs for a while so this is a bit of a jump back to big boats.

I doubt you'll see the excesses of some of the past Melb based 52s with this skipper. 

1 hour ago, Flatbag said:

CorBy 49. I think it went to Safrica in about 2010? He's been playing with the SBs for a while so this is a bit of a jump back to big boats.

I doubt you'll see the excesses of some of the past Melb based 52s with this skipper. 

Which one? First to mind is the owner who stole $8m from his employer to buy and run his fleet of 52’s

1 hour ago, Flatbag said:

The Corby 49 sails out of the CYCA - now known as Vamp

The second Flirt Corby 49 was built in Melbourne by Composite Constructions. Required a number of keel repositions to stop her acting like a bulldozer. Was sold to South Africa to the Owner of the Highland Fling fleet of yachts, painted a deep red, replaced the modified keel with the original, and named Cape Fling. I saw her in Cape Town a few years back.

On 11/13/2018 at 6:58 PM, DickDastardly said:

The Corby 49 sails out of the CYCA - now known as Vamp

Flirt that became Vamp was an earlier Corby 49. His latest Flirt went to Cape Town, Sth Africa in 2010.

CD's new boat looked bloody pretty sweet in the breeze on Saturday afternoon.  Must have been doing 20knots as it flew past us heading downwind in the last race.