dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

Incident Update from FB: WHITE SPIRIT injured crew member Otis Miles-Malone.

WHITE SPIRIT skipper Cyrus Allen, has been in regular contact with Otis and has just visited Otis in hospital.

Great news that Otis is recovering well from his injuries which include several fractured vertebrae, internal and external bruising. He is expected to be discharged from hospital tomorrow in a back brace and to make a full recovery in 6 weeks. Otis is looking forward to getting back on the water sailing, as soon as he is able. As Cyrus put it, “he is one tough cookie!”

Cyrus also caught up with the crew from CLOCKWORK at RMYS this afternoon. They were very happy to be able to help out.

Well wishes have continued to pour in today wishing Otis a speedy recovery.

At the Race Results presentation at Royal Geelong Yacht Club last night, the good seamanship demonstrated by the AUDERE and CLOCKWORK, who both transferred crew to WHITE SPIRIT to assist with the medical emergency, received resounding applause as did the suggestion they those crews should not put their hands in their pockets for any drinks.

Cyrus, Otis and the ORCV would like to express their sincere thanks to:

• WHITE SPIRIT crew
• AUDERE skipper John Cain and crew, particularly Jenny Wright & Dan Mestal, CLOCKWORK skipper Bob Schahinger, and crew, particularly Andrew Giles
• All the other competitors who offered assistance, including CAVARLO, MOODY BUOYS, FASTER FORWARD, THE PROTAGONIST and others.
• Ambulance Victoria's Helicopter Emergency Medical Services (HEMS)
Royal Yacht Club of Victoria, General Manager Michael Neumann and staff
• Metropolitan Fire Brigade and Ambulance Victoria who both greeted the boat at Royals
• Victorian Water Police
• Alfred Hospital
• ORCV Race and Incident Management Team members Nick McGuigan and Neville Rose.

• Like 3

Well done, Clockwork!  Safe trip home.

At last a "big" boat coming to PPB ( or more properly, Corio Bay) with the new Eccy being ex Ubox and ex a few other names including Jazz which bloody nearly won a S2H  a few years back.. Has had a successful record like pretty much all of the Cookie 50s - will be good to see her carving up the Big Boat scene here. Coming ex Honkers and pitching for the 75th Hobart. Nice buy Paul, with a bit of help from Nudge who is driving her home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flatbag said:

At last a "big" boat coming to PPB ( or more properly, Corio Bay) with the new Eccy being ex Ubox and ex a few other names including Jazz which bloody nearly won a S2H  a few years back.. Has had a successful record like pretty much all of the Cookie 50s - will be good to see her carving up the Big Boat scene here. Coming ex Honkers and pitching for the 75th Hobart. Nice buy Paul, with a bit of help from Nudge who is driving her home.

Ubox was Ex Pretty Fly I think. Jazz was Quantum Racing, Victoire now in Tassie as Oskana.

Gooden anyway.....

The UBox Cookson 50 that went to China was Pretty Fly, can confirm.

10 hours ago, JonRowe said:

The UBox Cookson 50 that went to China was Pretty Fly, can confirm.

Yep, ex Pussy Galore from NZ. Then Pretty Fly 3, UBox, now ExtaSea.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 4:59 PM, Flatbag said:

Nice ride for the Extasea lads.   Sounds like one more TP on its way too.  What's the update with Ambition?  It's not listed anymore on Ancasta so has it sold?

Interesting weather for the first 2 range races today.

See you on the water

24 minutes ago, huwp said:

Interesting weather for the first 2 range races today.

See you on the water

but the race was cancelled because there is a puff of wind...

Was at the taj mahal (SYC) during some of these squalls and watched the only 3 yachts on the bay disappear. 46 kts at FB but reckon the gusts were much higher. They wouldn't let the water drain away

8 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Was at the taj mahal (SYC) during some of these squalls and watched the only 3 yachts on the bay disappear. 46 kts at FB but reckon the gusts were much higher. They wouldn't let the water drain away

that is the wind graph for FB. Only 32 max according this

No 46knts here. 46kmh yes

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60901/IDV60901.95872.shtml

yeh mate but that's based on a 10 minute sample - doesn't record real conditions sometimes

image.png.8b94ce1a1fee7f689f93afead7d13106.png

I was mid Bass Strait Friday Night & Saturday morning as the front came thru......nothing to it.....didn't even spill my beer.....but that's the TT Line for you...!! ;-)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Couta said:

I was mid Bass Strait Friday Night & Saturday morning as the front came thru......nothing to it.....didn't even spill my beer.....but that's the TT Line for you...!! ;-)

clearly you didn't drink enough...

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 3:46 PM, dbo said:

Nice ride for the Extasea lads.   Sounds like one more TP on its way too.  What's the update with Ambition?  It's not listed anymore on Ancasta so has it sold?

Jazz nearly won S2H, became Victoire, did win S2H then became Oskana in Taswegia

13 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

The intro to the 1985 M2H TV broadcast. Posted on FB by the ORCV

Did that race on our Adams 11.9 Sportscar (#3) as seen in that Promo video. 

23 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

the S310 boat?

That's the one. Adams 11.9.

755764793_SC4Devonport86001.thumb.jpg.e852295ebe38e9a594c47524b2e66346.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

That's the one. Adams 11.9.

755764793_SC4Devonport86001.thumb.jpg.e852295ebe38e9a594c47524b2e66346.jpg

good to see you're all the the approved 'royal' attire

Steady up, I still have my Line 7 PVC wet weather gear ( in white of course) from back then.

Even still have my Javelin fleece.

Wear it fishing regularly

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

good to see you're all the the approved 'royal' attire

The only one not in all white is sadly no longer with us, RIP Tim Nicoll. Great times with a great team. Miss those days and those guys, we sailed hard and we partied harder. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 7:22 AM, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Well that didn't last very long...

Screenshot_20190429-103808_Facebook.jpg

Not sure if this is old news but I see from the Hobart entry list that Ambition is now the new Celestial.

Any word yet on why this was so short lived for CD ??

Looks like How Bizarre has taken IRC AMS and PHS in the Stanley race. Rush sat all on their lonesome in light air west of the rhumb line and lost out on the line to Lord Jiminy. New White Noise has 2nd on AMS in their first race, not bad

On 11/2/2019 at 11:28 PM, resist said:

Looks like How Bizarre has taken IRC AMS and PHS in the Stanley race. Rush sat all on their lonesome in light air west of the rhumb line and lost out on the line to Lord Jiminy. New White Noise has 2nd on AMS in their first race, not bad

Nice work HB, slippery little suckers those RP36s in moderate breezes. Looks like a gift AMS rating for the new W N at .997 but then, its a relatively old design. Will be interesting to see how it rates IRC. 

Funny to still see boats heading way west of the rhumbline in this race. Has been happening for decades, someone always does it, never pays.

Hey LP...what design is the new White Noise? And as for going West....in the immortal words of Rocket.J.Squirrel..."That trick never works"

Ok...the updated MAT 12....it'll do orright with that rating...they're pocket rockets!

22 hours ago, Last Post said:

Nice work HB, slippery little suckers those RP36s in moderate breezes. Looks like a gift AMS rating for the new W N at .997 but then, its a relatively old design. Will be interesting to see how it rates IRC. 

Funny to still see boats heading way west of the rhumbline in this race. Has been happening for decades, someone always does it, never pays.

.997 sounds heaps compared to the water ballasted j12m at .946 

Lipton Cup Regatta was a little sad with regards to the keel boat fleet. Eight boats in Div A and eleven in Div B. Was extremely amusing to have Protagonist clear the boats away from the committee boat end of the line with a massive barging run in the first race. Caused mayhem for Ikon and Scarlet but they did their turns so I guess that makes it okay...

Reasonable turn out if you were sailing an an S80, Bluebird, Etchell or trailersailer. I don't think having the main trophies being tied up with a club teams event helped.

Rumour has it that SYC were actively dissuading boats from entering in response to RYCV doing similar for the Assoc Cup. And the whole teams angle of the Lipton Cup was designed to wedge SYC now that they have the Assoc Cup.

Good to see we can all behave like adults in the interest of the sport.

Mex

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mexican said:

Lipton Cup Regatta was a little sad with regards to the keel boat fleet. Eight boats in Div A and eleven in Div B. Was extremely amusing to have Protagonist clear the boats away from the committee boat end of the line with a massive barging run in the first race. Caused mayhem for Ikon and Scarlet but they did their turns so I guess that makes it okay...

Reasonable turn out if you were sailing an an S80, Bluebird, Etchell or trailersailer. I don't think having the main trophies being tied up with a club teams event helped.

Rumour has it that SYC were actively dissuading boats from entering in response to RYCV doing similar for the Assoc Cup. And the whole teams angle of the Lipton Cup was designed to wedge SYC now that they have the Assoc Cup.

Mex

If true, SYC sounds like they must be a pack of cry babies, after all it was their own stupidity that prompted other clubs to boycott the ass cup.

I've not heard anything like that at SYC - and in fact, the club doesn't put on an aggregate race that weekend due to the Lipton.

20 hours ago, mexican said:

Mex

More unsubstantiated Bullshit but then that's what this place is here for. IIRC the SYC Commodore published his best wishes to Sandy members, keelboats and dinghies, participating in the Lipton Cup in the club online newsletter on Friday. 

Looking at the entry list for the Lipton, looks like RYCV is flogging a dead horse with what once was a viable and competitive regatta. Not well supported by many from other clubs either and and if it weren't for the venerable S-80s and the even more venerable Bluebirds, there wouldn't be much of a regatta at all. They did succeed in dragging a few Etchells away from their home base at Brighton. which is a notable achievement.

Can't blame other Club's boat owners for not wanting to park their boats in that dodgy, surge affected excuse for a marina either. Pity RYCV don't yet have a floating marina but then they do have a very nice concrete lined hole in the water that no other club can boast.

Sandy ran a variation on their standard W/L on Saturday with a slalom course which was obviously deemed more attractive to a reasonable sized fleet than trudging all the  way up to Willy and back.  

On 10/26/2019 at 7:36 AM, Flippin Out said:

Not sure if this is old news but I see from the Hobart entry list that Ambition is now the new Celestial.

Big budget programs usually fail for one or both of the following.

1. the owner does not get the results and recognition which he demands (and in his mind deserves) for all that money spent

2. he gets sick of the crew and associated hangers on having their hands in his pocket all the time, all the while bagging him out for his poor sailing ability.

Who was out sailing this evening? brilliant evening for a sail. 

It was a great sight on the water at the top end of the bay as several clubs all rounded marks near station pier and many flew spinnakers south following the channel. 

10 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

It was a great sight on the water at the top end of the bay as several clubs all rounded marks near station pier and many flew spinnakers south following the channel. 

Pics, or it never happened

13 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Probably wouldn't be quite as brilliant out there at the moment I'm thinking..........

Screenshot 2019-11-21 at 12.02.27 pm.png

4 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Pics, or it never happened

then I guess it didn't happen...

I wonder how the race boat owners feel about the PHS handicap and pursuit start times. Last nights spinnaker race results were 1) Jeanneau 33i 2) Tumlaren 3) Bavaria 30 and 5) Jeanneau 36i 

19 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

then I guess it didn't happen...

I wonder how the race boat owners feel about the PHS handicap and pursuit start times. Last nights spinnaker race results were 1) Jeanneau 33i 2) Tumlaren 3) Bavaria 30 and 5) Jeanneau 36i 

Dart board racing mate. Eventually, every player wins a prize. Not worth raising a sweat over it.

5 hours ago, Flippin Out said:

Probably wouldn't be quite as brilliant out there at the moment I'm thinking..........

Screenshot 2019-11-21 at 12.02.27 pm.png

I'm blaming you lot for hogging it all to yourselves yesterday ...

76710899_2532980800104401_3229125488815374336_n.thumb.jpg.999aabe73443e56f3bcf10519882dd7f.jpg

3 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

I'm blaming you lot for hogging it all to yourselves yesterday ...

76710899_2532980800104401_3229125488815374336_n.thumb.jpg.999aabe73443e56f3bcf10519882dd7f.jpg

You should know better Shaggy - the NOR states that the OA has all media rights, and you have shown blatent disregard to the flag officers for willfully displaying unauthorised media to the great unwashed. You will be disciplined on a date to not be announced shortly - the decision of the OA is final and is not subject to appeal.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 9:31 PM, Dark Cloud said:

You should know better Shaggy - the NOR states that the OA has all media rights, and you have shown blatent disregard to the flag officers for willfully displaying unauthorised media to the great unwashed. You will be disciplined on a date to not be announced shortly - the decision of the OA is final and is not subject to appeal.

Ohh dear DC, your club is once again playing funny buggers with the Association Cup

The NOR is now out and once again they are trying to protect the rich git owners and their expensive racers from the riff raff beating them with old and cheap Adams 10's

1.2 Australian Sailing (AS) Prescriptions and Special Regulations Part 1 Category 6 shall apply, modified as follows: 

a) Cl 3.12 Pulpits, Stanchions and Lifelines for Category 4 shall apply. 

b) Cl 3.14 Toe Rail or Foot-Stop for Category 4 shall apply. 

c) Cl 3.24.3 through Cl 3.24.9 Engines for Category 5 shall apply. 

of course the NOR for their summer series has no such rules.

It seems that SYC is becoming the RQYS of Victorian sailing.

Indeed TDK. Whilst those amendments will likely fuck with the A10s, you will find that the motivation for these is coroner report / Max Peters (RIP) related than excluding threatening boats. The fallout from that fateful race has been impacting club racing at every level here.

Full disclosure: I will never be invited by my club to participate in the Ass Cup, and have never had, or will ever have, any interest in the event. Same would go for 99% of members.

4 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Indeed TDK. Whilst those amendments will likely fuck with the A10s, you will find that the motivation for these is coroner report / Max Peters (RIP) related than excluding threatening boats. The fallout from that fateful race has been impacting club racing at every level here.

Full disclosure: I will never be invited by my club to participate in the Ass Cup, and have never had, or will ever have, any interest in the event. Same would go for 99% of members.

I think the point being made by TDK is that, if the motivation is truly around the incident with Max, then the NOR for the summer series would have similar requirements.

Of course, I haven't looked, but there could be other provisions in the summer NOR regarding, for example, on water rescue boat etc., which might suggest the amendments are not purely nefarious.

29 minutes ago, L0kiSc0t said:

I think the point being made by TDK is that, if the motivation is truly around the incident with Max, then the NOR for the summer series would have similar requirements.

exactly

Also, I'm not sure if it is 100% correct, but I thought I heard that the coroner's report did not find any issues with the race organisation safety and that SYC had commissioned their own report that was not made public or available to other clubs.

The Ass cup sails in the same waters and with the same wind level cancellation triggers as ever other SYC event. If indeed there is a general safety issue that requires the amended safety requirements, then SYC will be sued within an inch of it's existence if  there is a death within a normal SYC race that could have been prevented by all races having the safety clause added.

29 minutes ago, L0kiSc0t said:

Of course, I haven't looked, but there could be other provisions in the summer NOR regarding, for example, on water rescue boat etc., which might suggest the amendments are not purely nefarious.

If a water rescue boat is good enough for SYC races, then it will be good enough for the ass cup.

I'm sure that my club would be happy to provide a water rescue boat for each Adams 10 that we might have entered in the competition and will shadow the boat as closely as we can.

45 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Same would go for 99% of members.

The event is more about bragging rights of club committee members, which appears to be the problem.

Realising that you cannot beat a well sailed, well funded TP 52 under IRC and that just might scare off potential entries, Festival of Sails just posted this gem on FB

636242729_IRCTruth.JPG.58b8e9f5be6bd8bdfdd11136e950320d.JPG

• Like 1

LP, do you only get your news from Facebook.  That's been on the main website for a couple of weeks at least.

21 hours ago, trt131 said:

LP, do you only get your news from Facebook.  That's been on the main website for a couple of weeks at least.

Very astute of you to notice. The point is FoS only got around to posting it on FB  yesterday, probably because of lagging entries for their annual Geelong FunFest and Price Gouge and I did acknowledge that as the source in my post. A+ for reading but a big F for comprehension. Do try harder.

On 10/26/2019 at 7:36 AM, Flippin Out said:

Ran into one of the guys off Ambition last night. They had a new keel half built and were planning full campaign for 2019/20 when CD got an offer he couldn't refuse.  It all happened very quickly. Nothing planned to replace it as they weren't expecting to be boatless.  Nice problem to have I suppose?

That new keel is now on the boat too if the chatter on the Bookface photos is accurate

3 hours ago, JonRowe said:

That new keel is now on the boat too if the chatter on the Bookface photos is accurate

Bah. pics or it didnt happen

76907114_2775383702513279_5547923927575035904_n.thumb.jpg.54982cf43040fcaedb0ae94103aa67fb.jpg

This is the pic I saw, there was then chatter about it being the new keel not the old one

How embarrassment?

Sydney-Hobart: Victorian makes a little White Noise

By DD MCNICOLL

The Australian 8:54PM DECEMBER 17, 2019

Victorian architect and town planner Daniel Edwards is not well known in Sydney yachting circles but he is something of a hero south of the Murray.

Edwards was crowned the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria’s offshore champion in 2016, 2017 and 2018 in his very fast Beneteau First 35, White Noise. His success had him looking further afield — about 800km north.

“I decided to build a new boat to compete in the 75th Sydney to Hobart race and for the following four years after that,” Edwards said on Tuesday. “I had my eye on a 45-footer designed by Irishman Mark Mills.

“I contacted the builders, M.A.T. Yachts in Izmir, Turkey, and they set to work. The boat finally arrived, shrouded in shrink-wrap plastic at the start of October and we worked flat out to get her into the water.”

Also called White Noise, the new yacht was everything Edwards hoped for and was third in its first, and so far only, outing: the Melbourne to Stanley race.

It is now waiting at the CYCA in Sydney for Edwards and his 10-strong crew to arrive from Melbourne for the Boxing Day start to the 630 nautical mile classic.

“She was purpose-built for the Sydney-Hobart race. We decided we wanted to play outside the bounds of Victoria and she is the perfect ocean racing machine,” Edwards said. “We like to think of ourselves as just a bunch of Melbourne mates who decided to go for a cruise down the coast at Christmas. Just a bit of fun.”

Edwards and his mates will be carrying the hopes of the famed Sandringham Yacht Club on their shoulders in the 75th anniversary race, acknowledging that, despite the skills of Victorian yachtsmen, it is the Hobart race that captures the public’s imagination.

“It is always a race in which the weather decides the winner,” Edwards said. “We are obviously hoping for a small boat race with a lot of wind on the nose.

“If there is a lot of downwind sailing, the bigger yachts will just romp away from us but a tough race into the wind would give us a great chance on handicap.

“White Noise was the ninth M.A.T. 1245 built and we are hoping she will be the ‘lucky ninth’.”

17 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Pay walled.

FIFY See above OP

• Like 1

White Noise should go fine but different fleet to the local ORCV races... speaking of which, only 6 boats entered in the West Coaster, maybe a few doing the Sydney race instead.

There's a few other Melbourne boats that might go alright, CarreraS, Patriot, Chutzpah, Extasea. 

I think Chuztpah is the only one that maybe up for the chocolates, the rest will be making up the numbers.

59 minutes ago, trt131 said:

I think Chuztpah is the only one that maybe up for the chocolates, the rest will be making up the numbers.

Says you :D

The J133 could be up there - very well prepared. Not sure if windy enough off the breeze for Chutzpah

• Like 1

Who is doing the CotB and the Tassie races?

Trackers

M2D https://race.bluewatertracks.com/2019-orcv-melbourne-to-devonport

M2H https://race.bluewatertracks.com/2019-orcv-melbourne-to-hobart-westcoaster

L2H http://yb.tl/l2h2019

The numbers for the M2H looking down because of the 75th

2022 will be the 50th M2H and it would be good if they can entice some more northern boats to join that year.

On 12/24/2019 at 5:54 PM, Dark Cloud said:

The J133 could be up there - very well prepared. Not sure if windy enough off the breeze for Chutzpah

And so it was. Patriot 1st IRC5, 1st ORCi4, 9th overall IRC and 10th overall ORC

Was a great race, immaculately prepped boat in every sense, and a great crew as well. Thrilled to be a part of it.

• Like 5

^^^ Had a bit to do with the boat (as Moonspinner) and doing the selling/purchase deal as both current and previous owners are mates I'd done serious miles with...not brokerage, just several chats about its potential and what Jason wanted to do....the boat was always a "wolf in sheeps clothing" that gave Recliner some serious racing and fast cruising options....glad he took the advice and got the result his effort deserved!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

And so it was. Patriot 1st IRC5, 1st ORCi4, 9th overall IRC and 10th overall ORC

Was a great race, immaculately prepped boat in every sense, and a great crew as well. Thrilled to be a part of it.

Dark Cloud, I stand corrected and well done to Patriot.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Couta said:

^^^ Had a bit to do with the boat (as Moonspinner) and doing the selling/purchase deal as both current and previous owners are mates I'd done serious miles with...not brokerage, just several chats about its potential and what Jason wanted to do....the boat was always a "wolf in sheeps clothing" that gave Recliner some serious racing and fast cruising options....glad he took the advice and got the result his effort deserved!

I think we all realised the boats potential when we sailed her as MoonSpinner, Hats off to Recliner for the huge effort to optimise and prepare the boat in an absolutely exemplary fashion. Patriots success was no surprise to those of us who watched the program come together.  It was a deliberate. measured and low key approach epitomised when a well known media mouth pushed Jase aside on the dock at the CY in their haste to get to interview a self-promoting talk-it-up competitor who delivered a somewhat lesser result.

Proud to have played just a small role with the Patriot team, this is a special boat and Recliner is a special bloke backed up by a special family and a champion crew.

as Matt Allen said when he saw the boat in Hobart - “this shouldn’t have happened”

But it did!

10F7E2FD-42FF-4AC7-B1EC-3B4F278BCFC0.thumb.jpeg.ad1d078377e664e32e8744a21d844720.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

I think we all realised the boats potential when we sailed her as MoonSpinner, Hats off to Recliner for the huge effort to optimise and prepare the boat in an absolutely exemplary fashion. Patriots success was no surprise to those of us who watched the program come together.  It was a deliberate. measured and low key approach epitomised when a well known media mouth pushed Jase aside on the dock at the CY in their haste to get to interview a self-promoting talk-it-up competitor who delivered a somewhat lesser result.

Proud to have played just a small role with the Patriot team, this is a special boat and Recliner is a special bloke backed up by a special family and a champion crew.

as Matt Allen said when he saw the boat in Hobart - “this shouldn’t have happened”

But it did!

10F7E2FD-42FF-4AC7-B1EC-3B4F278BCFC0.thumb.jpeg.ad1d078377e664e32e8744a21d844720.jpeg

What, if any, modifications have been done to the boat to make it perform so well?

21 minutes ago, Next Level said:

What, if any, modifications have been done to the boat to make it perform so well?

That’s classified information, not my place to say. 

3 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

But it did!

You (2) were just as much an important part of the team as anyone else. Pretty difficult to do what we did without.

Just read an article suggesting that we should change Aus day to the 4th Friday in Jan. If that happened, then FOS would have the same Fri-Sun days as the old ANA weekend used to have. Would probably be a bonus for FOS .

https://www.theage.com.au/national/why-we-should-change-australia-day-to-the-fourth-friday-in-january-20200119-p53su4.html

Who's going this year?

I was hoping to at least be out on the water for the M2G start but the boat owners wife had other plans... 

33 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Just read an article suggesting that we should change Aus day to the 4th Friday in Jan. If that happened, then FOS would have the same Fri-Sun days as the old ANA weekend used to have. Would probably be a bonus for FOS .

https://www.theage.com.au/national/why-we-should-change-australia-day-to-the-fourth-friday-in-january-20200119-p53su4.html

Who's going this year?

I was hoping to at least be out on the water for the M2G start but the boat owners wife had other plans... 

I'm going down on my 6KTSB with a bunch of ratbags - should be fun

• Like 2

Check out this email which I received from the race director yesterday. Note we have being racing in the AMS cruising division for the last 5 years and enjoy the passage racing series on the local AMS measurement handicap. Because the IRC/AMS rating series (W/L courses) only had about 6 entries and the cruising series had 150 entries they are trying to force all the race boats with modern exotic sails to race in the rating series.

I think this will be the last time for my boat going to Geelong especially if I am required to use my delivery sails for racing in the cruising division!

Email from the race director below:

I note that you have entered your boat into Cruising AMS Series for the upcoming Festival of Sails Regatta.

You may have overlooked the eligibility clause in the Notice-of-Race for this Class, as it has changed from last year.

Cruising AMS entrants shall be fitted out to comfortable cruising standards and will typically not have working sails of custom built modern exotic construction unless the Race Committee grants dispensation. Boats shall advise the Race Committee at the time of entry of the sails carried aboard and their material construction.  The Race Committee will consider written applications for inclusion of boats that may not otherwise meet the spirit and intention of the Class, giving details of the boat and the reasons for consideration.  Applications based on crew criteria alone will not be considered. The Race Committee’s decision shall be final and not be subject to requests for redress.  Boats shall have a valid Australian Measurement System (AMS) rating.  Cruising AMS Class will also be scored by Event Handicap (EHC).

The eligibility requirements are to ensure this is open to cruising boats that have AMS ratings and to not have the racing style of boats in a cruising fleet.  It is always the Festival of Sails intention to have like boats sailing together.  We feel the integrity of the Cruising AMS is very important. 

As your boat does not meet the requirements of Cruising AMS as stated in the Notice-of-Race, there are two other options available for your boat.  The entry can be moved to Rating Series as there is an AMS component as well as IRC to the Series.  The Rating Series has been modified to have more Passage races.  The other option is to enter Cruising with Spinnakers.  However custom built exotic sail are not permitted in the Cruising with Spinnaker Series and you would have to use your delivery sails.  Also you should expect a substantial handicap being allocated to the boat as it does not meet the intention and spirit of the Series.

Festival of Sails apologises for the lateness of this decision, but we were unable ascertain the magnitude of the problem until the close of entries.  The regatta is looking forward to having your boat on the water for the Festival of Sails and trust you understand our point of view.

Regards

Denis Thompson

Race Committee FoS

A few points to the letter I would work off.

Note the word typically.

Seek clarification of the definition of exotic. Is it 3d raw or a panelled cruising Mylar taffeta?

Seek dispensation due to late notice.It is allowed to be tried per the letter

1 hour ago, Chucky said:

Check out this email which I received from the race director yesterday. Note we have being racing in the AMS cruising division for the last 5 years and enjoy the passage racing series on the local AMS measurement handicap. Because the IRC/AMS rating series (W/L courses) only had about 6 entries and the cruising series had 150 entries they are trying to force all the race boats with modern exotic sails to race in the rating series.

I think this will be the last time for my boat going to Geelong especially if I am required to use my delivery sails for racing in the cruising division!

Email from the race director below:

I note that you have entered your boat into Cruising AMS Series for the upcoming Festival of Sails Regatta.

You may have overlooked the eligibility clause in the Notice-of-Race for this Class, as it has changed from last year.

Cruising AMS entrants shall be fitted out to comfortable cruising standards and will typically not have working sails of custom built modern exotic construction unless the Race Committee grants dispensation. Boats shall advise the Race Committee at the time of entry of the sails carried aboard and their material construction.  The Race Committee will consider written applications for inclusion of boats that may not otherwise meet the spirit and intention of the Class, giving details of the boat and the reasons for consideration.  Applications based on crew criteria alone will not be considered. The Race Committee’s decision shall be final and not be subject to requests for redress.  Boats shall have a valid Australian Measurement System (AMS) rating.  Cruising AMS Class will also be scored by Event Handicap (EHC).

The eligibility requirements are to ensure this is open to cruising boats that have AMS ratings and to not have the racing style of boats in a cruising fleet.  It is always the Festival of Sails intention to have like boats sailing together.  We feel the integrity of the Cruising AMS is very important. 

As your boat does not meet the requirements of Cruising AMS as stated in the Notice-of-Race, there are two other options available for your boat.  The entry can be moved to Rating Series as there is an AMS component as well as IRC to the Series.  The Rating Series has been modified to have more Passage races.  The other option is to enter Cruising with Spinnakers.  However custom built exotic sail are not permitted in the Cruising with Spinnaker Series and you would have to use your delivery sails.  Also you should expect a substantial handicap being allocated to the boat as it does not meet the intention and spirit of the Series.

Festival of Sails apologises for the lateness of this decision, but we were unable ascertain the magnitude of the problem until the close of entries.  The regatta is looking forward to having your boat on the water for the Festival of Sails and trust you understand our point of view.

Regards

Denis Thompson

Race Committee FoS

Way to grow the sport

3 hours ago, Chucky said:

Check out this email which I received from the race director ye