dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

^^^ TDK...FOS is, was.. and will always be.... a piss-up, periodically interrupted by some occasional sailing...generally the best part is the cruise home!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 1/24/2020 at 5:04 PM, The Dark Knight said:

so they are saying that if you have a race boat, you have to do more racing and less drinking. Their bar takings will be hit.....

I'm sure last year Voodoo probably contributed nicely to the clubs bar takings because they entered the cruising division. 

We contributed heavily to the bar take because we spent so many hrs waiting for our protests to be heard...ya know, the ones where they kept laying marks & finishing lines in places our boat was too draughty to get to?!!! Incidentally all protests were upheld...wot a joke!

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Couta said:

^^^ TDK...FOS is, was.. and will always be.... a piss-up, periodically interrupted by some occasional sailing...generally the best part is the cruise home!

The last time I did the FOS was in the early 80's, it was still called ANA weekend and I didn't drink. 

We did have a fun sail home in our Columbia 27 in a howling SW. Surfing the whole way home.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Couta said:

We contributed heavily to the bar take because we spent so many hrs waiting for our protests to be heard...ya know, the ones where they kept laying marks & finishing lines in places our boat was too draughty to get to?!!! Incidentally all protests were upheld...wot a joke!

Couta, your memory is not the greatest,  I guess Rum does that.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, trt131 said:

Couta, your memory is not the greatest,  I guess Rum does that.

Ok trt131, so we wanna get pedantic so...Yeah second  protest was upheld, redress provided...first one found despite the fact that the mark had 10 metres of line floating line...that fouled the keel....and despite acknowledgment from committee that it had been incorrectly laid...t(heir excuse was the lack of available volunteers and training) Yeah, so they admitted the mark hadn't been laid correctly, but refused redress, saying that we hadn't been materially prejudiced!!! (15 mins of fucking around!!!) Then we didn't get redress for the fact that we couldn't sail the most direct course because the course was laid in such a way that we couldn't sail the most direct course(too shallow)...but the TP 52s could....so...brilliant race management! And yeah...some drink was had...but some memories are burned in ...so I'll back my memory against anyone else who claims to have been there....Didn't feel the need to go back this year, but understand that the regatta is really a drinking event with occasional outbreaks of sailing...and I'm ok with that....I've been doing the event since the mid '60's, so have an idea of what it's all about!

The safety police at SYC would have a heart attack if they looked at photos from the Adams 10 nationals up at MHYC

2020_01_26_A10_Nats_MFM_A100956-3077-800

2020_01_26_A10_Nats_MFM_A100959-3078-800

2020_01_26_A10_Nats_MFM_A100925-3073-800

2020_01_27_Adams_10_Nationals_MFM_A10189

2020_01_27_Adams_10_Nationals_MFM_A10183

p.jpeg?size=2048x1536&size_mode=3

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

With the lack of lifelines and life jackets, the death toll must be in double figures at least...

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Agree totally with the sentiment,  but not sure that an Adams 10 race in Sydney makes either big boat or Melbourne criteria.

Tongue firmly in cheek!

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

The safety police at SYC would have a heart attack if they looked at photos from the Adams 10 nationals up at MHYC

2020_01_26_A10_Nats_MFM_A100956-3077-800

2020_01_26_A10_Nats_MFM_A100959-3078-800

2020_01_26_A10_Nats_MFM_A100925-3073-800

2020_01_27_Adams_10_Nationals_MFM_A10189

2020_01_27_Adams_10_Nationals_MFM_A10183

p.jpeg?size=2048x1536&size_mode=3

With the lack of lifelines and life jackets, the death toll must be in double figures at least...

Fuck they're nice boats. Always were, always will be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Secret Experiment said:

Really?? Not sure I agree.. not aesthetically pleasing in my books...

12 hours ago, Secret Experiment said:

Are you a handicapper? ;-)

• Like 4

On 1/28/2020 at 3:55 PM, Couta said:

Seems the protest results are still a raffle.

Lay a mark, put a mark boat against it and then advise over the radio that was the mark, and then the PC deduce that the majority that did go to the right mark were no better or worse off than those who sailed to the wrong mark. Maybe next time I will just sail close enough to where the mark was......

Ffs  it was a joke, just like much that fos pushes now. Like sending boats out to a remote course on the last day delaying them being able to get back home. Do they wonder why there are so many dnc on the Monday race ?

So glad they take on the advice owners feed back to them......

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 5:12 PM, hoppy said:

Heartbreaker is currently in the Sandy yard without it’s keel. Getting a performance upgrade?

Was out on the water today for the range series laying the marks for the div 1 race. Heartbreaker was the only boat with 2 reefs in the main (rest had 1 or none) and upwind she was healing over way more than the other boats and not pointing as high. Made me wonder if they ever refitted the keel.... 

On 2/8/2020 at 6:10 PM, The Dark Knight said:

Was out on the water today for the range series laying the marks for the div 1 race. Heartbreaker was the only boat with 2 reefs in the main (rest had 1 or none) and upwind she was healing over way more than the other boats and not pointing as high. Made me wonder if they ever refitted the keel.... 

Not sure the keel is the problem here.

The award for the bravest crew had to go to Ikon. No reef in the main and the only boat to fly the spinnaker on both DW legs.

No risk, no reward... Ikon won on IRC & AMS

83770366_549911622291351_204312286619448

11 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

The award for the bravest crew had to go to Ikon. No reef in the main and the only boat to fly the spinnaker on both DW legs.

No risk, no reward... Ikon won on IRC & AMS

83770366_549911622291351_204312286619448

Excellent work by their diver. Nice to see a clean hull.

• Like 1

Don't know if any of you (older) guys remember an old (slow) 1-tonner called Insatiable? Anyway, it is about to return to the Bay and will be berthed at Sandringham. Not sure if the original owner (George Wilson?) or any of the original crew are still around.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Weyalan said:

Don't know if any of you (older) guys remember an old (slow) 1-tonner called Insatiable? Anyway, it is about to return to the Bay and will be berthed at Sandringham. Not sure if the original owner (George Wilson?) or any of the original crew are still around.

How long did you get to sail her after the rebuild. It felt like I was following the thread on CF for many years.  

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

How long did you get to sail her after the rebuild. It felt like I was following the thread on CF for many years.  

We did the rebuild over a number of years. We would race and cruise in the summer, then in the winter we would pick an area and refit that area as our winter project. So we used the boat pretty much from when we first purchased it (2005) just not for a few months over each winter. I guess the refit as such was finished around 2012, since then it has been minor tweaks and shiny things (dodger, autopilot, etc). In 2015 we spent 4 months cruising the eastern seaboard, which was fantastic, We lived aboard for a couple of years too.

Buying the boat is the best thing that has happened to me in about 25 years, well, the second best thing... meeting my lovely wife is definitely the best thing, but I would not have met her if I hadn't bought the boat... I have loved racing, cruising and even working on the boat. But the time had come. Neither I nor Mrs Weyalan are getting any younger, and despite all our refit efforts and attempts to make her into a cruiser, Insatiable remains a big powerful 1-tonner and not the boat that will suit us as we get even older.

Last night we sat on our balcony in Tenderbox, with a glass of single malt, and watched the old girl round the Iron Pot and, as the sun set and darkness fell we watched her sail across Storm Bay and out of our lives... tears were shed, but while the boat has left  us, the happy memories have not

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Weyalan said:

I think George still sails with PJ on Arcadia on Wednesdays. Now well into his eighties, he is one of the nicest blokes I have ever met in yachting or beyond.

I think Insatiable still holds the record for the earliest Syd-Hobart dismasting - dropped the rig in Sydney Harbour! 

931083801_GWwithPJArcadia.thumb.jpg.d4e29415bd2c9cf6c5ebb9a9d9ac0250.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

I think George still sails with PJ on Arcadia on Wednesdays. Now well into his eighties, he is one of the nicest blokes I have ever met in yachting or beyond.

I think Insatiable still holds the record for the earliest Syd-Hobart dismasting - dropped the rig in Sydney Harbour! 

931083801_GWwithPJArcadia.thumb.jpg.d4e29415bd2c9cf6c5ebb9a9d9ac0250.jpg

He certainly sails twilights still. He was at the club on Saturday after the Range series in his Arcadia top, but I don't know if he raced or just came to the club for a drink.

4 hours ago, Weyalan said:

Last night we sat on our balcony in Tenderbox, with a glass of single malt, and watched the old girl round the Iron Pot and, as the sun set and darkness fell we watched her sail across Storm Bay and out of our lives... tears were shed, but while the boat has left  us, the happy memories have not

You are lucky, my old boat is still in the same pen and the boat I crew on is 20m past it on the same arm... 

On 2/12/2020 at 8:29 AM, Weyalan said:

Now parked on C arm (west). She stands out from today's boats. Low free board and wide beam in the middle.

Sailmakers were rubbing their hands together on Saturday. I saw Bandit split their No. 3 head sail and Wicked blew up an S2 kite soon after hoisting it the the last run. A couple of retirements as well. It was plenty lumpy out there for wind speed.

We hit 18+ knots boats speed on the run to the finish. Not a lot of weight in the sheets when you're going that fast in 22 knots of breeze. Fast is fun... as they say.

Mex

• Like 1

I remember when there used to be sailing on the bay

• Like 2

Looked to be a perfect day to be social isolating out on the bay today.

Pretty fucked to see only a few ships and a police boat on the water.

• Like 1

The woes at Royal Brighton continue. A while back they lost their slipway and boatyard and now they have seen the apparently terminally disintegrating Brighton Pier closed to all pedestrian and vehicular traffic indefinitely while they wait for Parks Victoria to work out how to fix it. On past form, it won't be anytime soon.

Hearing that the crusty elite of that esteemed establishment now have to slip off the Raoul Mertons, roll up their Fletcher Jones and wade from the beach to step aboard rubber ducks for a damp joy-ride out to their boats on the marina or the hardstand. At least they don't have to take their socks off because,I am advised, trendsetters don't wear socks these days! 

Sadly, the pedestrian ban on the Pier didn't stop some low-life from breaching the perimeter fence and perpetrating a  very nasty graffiti attack on at least one Member's boat on the hardstand. Such a shame they picked that particular boat when there's all those blank canvas Etchells just crying out for some distinctive artwork.

May the full force of the law descend upon the cunts bastards with extreme prejudice. Question for the offender, how do you spell CCTV?

• Like 1

Game on, it seems.

any gossip on new boats that will hopefully be out racing soon? I've seen that two Sun Fast 3300's have hit the water in Sandy.

https://www.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-restrictions-victoria?fbclid=IwAR3TbBqZeVO3oCQvAS3yM3Gwxg-lQvjzWQojd2qVhj_7RoChnzTZq6Ggiw8

Easing of restrictions from 11:59pm on Sunday 21 June

10.30am, Sunday 24 May 2020

Sports and recreation

• Indoor sports centres and venues can open with up to 20 people per space, with a limit of up to 10 people per group/activity at any one time for those aged over 18 years old. 
  • A staggered approach to the return of community sport will begin from 11:59pm on 21 June:
    • Resumption of full-contact training and competition for people 18 years and under
    • Resumption of non-contact competition for people aged over 18 years (indoors and outdoors)
    • From 13 July: resumption of full-contact training for adults
    • From 20 July: resumption of competition for adults
  • Changing rooms and showers can open for sporting and recreational facilities, including swimming pools
  • The limit on 3 per lane in swimming pools will no longer apply
  • Ski season to open
  • Shared facilities at camping and tourist accommodation can open
  • Indoor play centres and toy libraries will be able to open with 20 people per space
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, The Dark Knight said:

Game on, it seems.

any gossip on new boats that will hopefully be out racing soon? I've seen that two Sun Fast 3300's have hit the water in Sandy.

May need to change the title of this thread to Melbourne Small Boat fleet!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

it would have to be those Bordeaux 65?s 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trt131 said:

What is the biggest boat racing on Port Phillip?

Right now there are no boats racing on Port Phillip. 
Of those that were, 12m Kookaburra then a bunch of production 50 somethings. No TPS or similar anymore. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chucky said:

May need to change the title of this thread to Melbourne Small Boat fleet!

No need. We just need to redefine what is big. These days, anything racing and is 40+, is a big boat. 

Uh huh

• Like 1

14 hours ago, huwp said:

Why would you bring one of those to PPB with no freeboard and no competition

Surely he'd leave it up there if he was buying one ?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, huwp said:

Why would you bring one of those to PPB with no freeboard and no competition

Leslie Green brought his MC 38 'Ginger' to Victoria for a regatta a few years ago. They pulled it out of the water and took it back to Sydney mid-way through the regatta - it was like a half tide rock in a good PPB south-westerly.

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Leslie Green brought his MC 38 'Ginger' to Victoria for a regatta a few years ago. They pulled it out of the water and took it back to Sydney mid-way through the regatta - it was like a half tide rock in a good PPB south-westerly.

Ray Roberts & Team on the B40 said after their Gladstone it was like having a spa bath on deck & below deck all race. 

On 7/2/2020 at 10:02 PM, The Dark Knight said:

Ca Bouge!  I had a catch ride doing bow on that a year ago.  Thanks to everyone who contributed to my query about end-for-end gybing.  :-)

1 hour ago, PITA said:

Ca Bouge!  I had a catch ride doing bow on that a year ago.  Thanks to everyone who contributed to my query about end-for-end gybing.  :-)

DSCN0552.JPG

• Like 2

^^^ So many issues here...full hoist? pole butt? pole down-fucker? Vang? .....and in flat water! Tap dancing on the foredeck!!

^^^ ok..so lets add the main issue.....steering!

• Like 1

Sorry, but there are so many errors happening there that you have to question the competence of those involved.....and if that level of competence is on a starting line, what chance does a competent team have of enforcing their rights around a course. It helps if you know who the "bunnies" are and allow for their randomness...but when a mixed fleet lines up...it's a scary experience with bargers and bullshitters and outright fuckwits (did someone say Geelong FOS?). It doesn't help that too often the ones that need some training are the ones that have the egos.....

20 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Ray Roberts & Team on the B40 said after their Gladstone it was like having a spa bath on deck & below deck all race. 

And a B40 is an aircraft carrier compared to a MC38

16 hours ago, Couta said:

^^^ So many issues here...full hoist? pole butt? pole down-fucker? Vang? .....and in flat water! Tap dancing on the foredeck!!

To be fair, the down-fucker might be set alright if the boat was level and heading in the right direction ...

:lol:

1 hour ago, Couta said:

Sorry, but there are so many errors happening there that you have to question the competence of those involved.....and if that level of competence is on a starting line, what chance does a competent team have of enforcing their rights around a course. It helps if you know who the "bunnies" are and allow for their randomness...but when a mixed fleet lines up...it's a scary experience with bargers and bullshitters and outright fuckwits (did someone say Geelong FOS?). It doesn't help that too often the ones that need some training are the ones that have the egos.....

This was from the AWKR from last year, so it was a borrowed boat, or at least a "new to that boat" crew plus the owner.

I think it it was gusting in the low 20's for that race.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

DSCN0552.JPG

...aaaand there you all go.  Cheers!!

23 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

DSCN0552.JPG

To be fair, those streaky, gusty northerly bullets at the top end of Port Phillip have done this to plenty of good sailors. Makes for good photos every time!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Couta said:

You're not new here........

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

To be fair, those streaky, gusty northerly bullets at the top end of Port Phillip have done this to plenty of good sailors. Makes for good photos every time!

Have seen a couta boat crewed by a few very good sailors lose a gaff to those bullets. Broke at the jaws.

Might have even spilt their beer......

On 7/10/2020 at 4:03 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

Yeah but that sequence shows what looks like the mastman doing the halyard bounce......and the kite sheet is coming on!  Anyway - I guess some people have to learn the hard way....

And some never learn

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 9:12 AM, Dark Cloud said:

And some never learn

This was the first kite hoist of the Regatta.  Crew who had never sailed together.  Most who hadn't even sailed in the positions they had.  However, we were all there to participate in a sport we love, and to learn.

From memory:

Halyard got 'kinked' at the base of the mast, so didn't get taken up by the Pit.  Both Mast and Pit learned to keep an eye out after that, and work in unison.

Downhaul didn't get pulled on, and brace didn't get taken up.

I'd make the point that if women had the opportunity to fill the many different roles available on a boat, I'm sure most would avail themselves of the chance to obtain experience under the watchful eye of supportive, experienced sailors.  Sometimes, though, you just gotta go for it, make your own opportunities, and remember that one can be of far more use to the sport to offer knowledge, opportunities and support than to snipe from behind a computer alias.

Couta - we were not on a starting line.  We were not barging or bullshitting.  So don't use that photo to complain about those that do.

I, for one, am always open to learn, and I sincerely thank those who contributed to the thread I started seeking advice before I got on the boat.  And in this instance, after the skipper explained what had gone wrong, there were no further shitfights.  So I guess everyone else learned, too.

It must be lovely to never do anything wrong...or to constantly surround yourselves with experienced people who cover your errors so well no-one ever notices you making one!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PITA said:

It must be lovely to never do anything wrong...or to constantly surround yourselves with experienced people who cover your errors so well no-one ever notices you making one!

The last boat I heard Couta was sailing was this https://www.raceyachts.com.au/our-yachts/reichel-pugh-63/ So you might be right.

To be clear...if I know anything about sailing, it's because I've made so many mistakes...and learned from them. Here's a lesson - always try and sail with someone better than you are...so you can always improve. Here's another - Talk thru every manoeuver before actioning it. My point above is that there is a clusterfuck going on.From the helm to the hoist to the setup to the sheet on......sorry but "sailing out of customary positions" is a bullshit excuse. Too many inexperienced people makes for a dangerous experience....for those on the boat and others who share the waters. And again to be clear - I've trained and coached sailors for that regatta - and for some sailors it was a big step up....but the fundamentals still apply. Sail safe. Have fun. Learn confidence thru competence.

• Like 6

Victorians should be happy we have the ORCV, because AS Vic does not seem to care about keel boat racing when talking to Dan's mob about covid sailing.

https://www.orcv.org.au/club-blog/5185-offshore-sailing-news-september-2020

The only problem might be that Dan sounds like he will still want to limit us to 5km.

ORCV Sailing News September 2020

Short term outlook

We are keeping close to developments as the Victorian Government has been working through their "Step 3" and the outcomes for keelboat sailing. On current trends, it is looking likely modified club racing and recreational sailing will be permitted in the Melbourne area before the end of October as:-

• We are classified as a non-contact sport - finally some common sense. 
  • The expected Step 3 requires masks and 1.5m social distancing "90% of the time" but accepts that this may not be maintained during key manoeuvres and acknowledges some gear sharing.

As a result, shorthanded Club racing and sailing will be permitted in Step 3. 

The bad news is that the expected Step 3 excludes both overnight racing and sleeping onboard (outside family groups and bubbles) until we reach Step 4 - hopefully around the middle of November. As a consequence, the Councillor Island Race scheduled for 31 October 2020 will not be held.

The outlook for the West Offshore Products Coastal Sprint Race on 21 November is positive as we expect to be "Step 4" by this time and, in addition, tidal conditions at the Heads provide resail opportunities on 28 November and on each of the first three Saturdays in December. The NoR for our first Coastal Sprint has now been posted and entries are open.

We will also be exploring Bay Sailing options such as Cock of the Bay with our partner clubs.

Looking ahead at Offshore Racing

Our overall plan for offshore races is to offer four Category 3 and three Category 2 races by the close of the summer season with the Apollo Bay Race on 22 May. We will consult with our members, skippers and other Clubs before finalising the program, our outlook envisages:-

• Coastal Sprint Race 1 on 21 November.
  • A 250 NM race around King Island departing 28 December and returning in good time for New Year's Eve, if as we expect, we cannot land in Tasmania.
  • Coastal Sprint Race 2 Race mid-February
  • An expanded King Island event on the 6 March Labour Day weekend combining this ever-popular race with an organised rally timed to join the destination party.
  • A Cat 2 race and rally at Easter 2021.
  • Coastal Sprint Race 3 Race on 24 April 2021.
  • Apollo Bay Race 24 May 2021.

This sailing program will allow us to run a full Coastal Championship and Offshore Championship series plus encouraging additional participation through the new offshore Rally initiative.

We have a fallback plan in the event that Step 4 is delayed.

ORCc Handicap system

Australian Sailing has been actively promoting the ORC Club (ORCc) handicapping system during the past month and this has stimulated discussion within the local clubs.

ORCc system is a low cost (standard price $90 p.a.), simplified version of the ORCi rating calculation which is based on a data-intensive Velocity Prediction Program. Based on currently available data, the ORCc handicap performs similarly to the AMS system and perhaps somewhat better than IRC.

The ORCV will support the use of validated ORCc handicaps on a conditional basis. Owners/skippers who are interested in racing under ORCc should contact the ORCV office. For more information click here

Sat Phones

The ORCV has for some years had an Australian Sailing dispensation allowing us to permit the use of Sat Phones by yachts which do not have HF equipment to compete in our Cat 2 Races. Australian Sailing has been working on new regulations which are expected to come into effect on July 1 2021.

The new regulations are expected to require permanently installed equipment with an external antenna when sat phones are used as the primary communication device. A copy of the draft regulation is provided here.

Justin Brenan
ORCV Sail Captain

Festival of Sails cancelled

he Festival of Sails Executive Committee and the Royal Geelong Yacht Club (RGYC) Board have made the difficult decision to cancel the 2021 Festival of Sails, which was scheduled for Saturday 23 - Tuesday 26 January, 2021.

Festival of Sails Chairman, Roger Bennett said the cancellation of this iconic event was a difficult but necessary decision, owing to the uncertainty created by the COVID-19 pandemic.

"The Committee has worked closely with our event stakeholders, including the City of Greater Geelong and the Victorian State Government, to carefully evaluate the risks presented by the COVID-19 pandemic to our event," Bennett said.

"Due to the ongoing nature of the health crisis and restrictions in Victoria, we are unable to deliver the Festival of Sails safely and responsibly in 2021.

"While we understand this will be disappointing for those who support our event each year, the health and safety of our sailing and local communities are our first and most important priority," he said.

2020 has been a year of highs and lows for the Royal Geelong Yacht Club. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Club delivered a historic line-up of major sailing events in their 2019/20 Summer of Sailing, while also installing the first stage of the Geelong Waterfront Safe Harbour Precinct Project - Wangim Walk (a 440m publicly accessible Wave Attenuator).

The efforts across the last year have resulted in the Club being announced as a finalist in the Australian Sailing Yacht Club of the Year and Sport Promotion Award categories. The winner of these awards will be announced in the coming week.

Chairman Roger Bennett said whilst RGYC is disappointed the 2021 event won't go ahead, the Club is focused on re-starting its Club activity and getting sailors back on the water - COVID-19 restrictions permitting.

"We look forward to welcoming Sailors back to the Royal Geelong Yacht Club and the waters of Corio Bay for a huge Festival of Sails in 2022," Bennett said.

The Festival of Sails, run by the Royal Geelong Yacht Club, attracts over 300 keelboats to Geelong annually and is the largest event of its type in the Southern Hemisphere. Sailors and visitors from around the country flock to the Geelong Waterfront for an action-packed weekend of world class sailing and entertainment for the whole family.

The traditional Festival of Sails Waterfront Festival, presented by Geelong Connected Communities, further activates the Geelong waterfront, attracting over 100,000 patrons with free entertainment and activities.

Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.learn moregot it

what's with all the votes?

2 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

what's with all the votes?

Buttman has repeatedly started covid19 threads in multihull anarchy and they have been moved into the covid 19 forum. He has never managed to handle it well.

After seeing his downvotes I did ask the question why in the last of his thread. I suspect that he was recovering from anal reconstructive surgery after an encounter with a "big" Melbourne sailor, hence the downvoting here.