dbo

Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

Corby 49 (see earlier in the thread)

Rig arrived from NZ at Sandy YC today. Big fucker for a 49 fter! More like TP52 size so the beast must have some horsepower!

Rig arrived from NZ at Sandy YC today. Big fucker for a 49 fter! More like TP52 size so the beast must have some horsepower!

That can't be right because TP52s rate 1.34-ish and Flirt will rate around 1.3, so it would be unfair if it had a bigger rig.

That can't be right because TP52s rate 1.34-ish and Flirt will rate around 1.3, so it would be unfair if it had a bigger rig.

Welcome to the ratings game... a big crock of shit!!

Comments anyone???

Silver is the new black?

Three feet shorter than a TP52, larger sail area (and a slightly larger stick?) - should be a weapon. Well worth a look when it hits the wet stuff on the weekend for the first time.

Comment Number 1:

NO grinder pedestals! now why is that?

Faster is right - powered winches for main and primaries.

So, a really big battery bank, or, say it ain't so, a full time running engine!!!!!

Flirt is a MOTOR SAILER???????????????????

Looks great, doesn’t look very secure, I hope she has moved onto SYC by now.

If I was Chris or Steve I‘d be sleeping there until it’s moved.

Flirt is in the pit at SYC with her keel attached.

Smik looker.

John Corby was there taking happy snaps.

engine

I call bullshit.

Who in their right mind would put powered winches on a 49 foot racing yacht with a fixed keel and have a motor running to boot.

I've heard the arguments about 100 footers being unable to sail without stored power but surely not at this size.

I call bullshit.

Who in their right mind would put powered winches on a 49 foot racing yacht with a fixed keel and have a motor running to boot.

I've heard the arguments about 100 footers being unable to sail without stored power but surely not at this size.

youre right, rossco, thats crap. And dissapointing. Girls.

if you can't turn the handles, get someone bigger to. don't just plug it in.

Wank.

I call bullshit.

I'd guess there are very good reasons for the powered winches if that is the case. The Cooksons have them (even the Dolly has them without the cant). Given your strong opinion, are you nominating to be the winch grinder on a 50 footer Rossco?

I'd guess there are very good reasons for the powered winches if that is the case. The Cooksons have them (even the Dolly has them without the cant). Given your strong opinion, are you nominating to be the winch grinder on a 50 footer Rossco?

And those reasons would be?

I'm having trouble thinking of any :blink:

Who says the boat can't sail without stored power? What a hysterical comment. If you don't have power you put a winch handle in the top and turn it around and around (change directions if it gets too hard).

Have you vented enough of your outrage or do you want to have the final word?

I am glad that the J boats had electronic winches.

I read in our local sailing instructions that any boat over 14m can have powered winches.

Who says the boat can't sail without stored power? What a hysterical comment. If you don't have power you put a winch handle in the top and turn it around and around (change directions if it gets too hard).

Have you vented enough of your outrage or do you want to have the final word?

:blink: Hello.

Listening to the arguments does not mean you agree with them.

In any case as far as Port Phillip keelboat racing is concerned I believe all of these style boats now sailing in the new Division Zero are helping improve the quality of racing for all participants.

In their absence Division 1 racing has never been better with the five leading boats finishing over the line within 30 seconds of each other in the last Range race.

So a real oppurtunity now presents itself to yachting administrators organising keelboat racing at the major regattas on Port Phillip, place all the swing keel/water ballasted/power winched/motor running to sail boats in the same division regardless of size and let that fantastic IRC handicapping rule take care of the rest.

Like against like seems pretty fair to me.

Listening to the arguments does not mean you agree with them.

Don't bring it up then.

In any case as far as Port Phillip keelboat racing is concerned I believe all of these style boats now sailing in the new Division Zero are helping improve the quality of racing for all participants.

In their absence Division 1 racing has never been better with the five leading boats finishing over the line within 30 seconds of each other in the last Range race.

These are rating bands which take into account the fact that vessels of different performance will sail around the course in potentially different conditions and also that boats of different sizes can't affect each others results materially through tactics. If you want REALLY close racing try one design - among our crew there are people that sail etchells, 505s, 49ers, flying 15s, FDs, dragons, lasers, farr 40s, sydney 38s, etc, etc. 30 seconds will often be the spread in an entire fleet at the finish.

So a real oppurtunity now presents itself to yachting administrators organising keelboat racing at the major regattas on Port Phillip, place all the swing keel/water ballasted/power winched/motor running to sail boats in the same division regardless of size and let that fantastic IRC handicapping rule take care of the rest.

The IRC rule already takes into account these differences. Administrators on Port Phillip Bay can do what they like, but I would suggest that they will do nothing to compromise the good standing that Geelong Week has as a premier IRC event. You also are failing to consider that owners of large offshore racing yachts, who spend a considerable time at sea and at events stretching from SA to North Queensland, don't just sit down with a copy of the Range Series sailing instructions when considering their design brief.

Like against like seems pretty fair to me.

A more accurate measure when considering the veracity of IRC ratings would be to look at the deviation of corrected time values at the conclusion of each race - have a look at the invitational series results from last year and you will see that the rule compares dissimilar boats in a very equitable way.

Regardless of the IRC ratings argument raging upthread, the new Flirt is a stunning looking ride. Beautifully detailed rig! Interesting very long keel bulb too. Congratulations to CD and to Steve's build team. For those who can't get down to SYC for a look-see, here are some photos from this morning. More to come when they shift some of the 4KSBs from around her to give better photographic access!

post-449-1197337843_thumb.jpg

post-449-1197337879_thumb.jpg

post-449-1197337800_thumb.jpg

Stick went in this arvo

Sorry, no pics.

Looks nice tho - interesting that Georgia is up in the slings at the moment, offering a good comparison.

Tidiest looking rig I've ever seen (no I don't mean some chick walking around the yard)!!

Hats off to Steve, CD, and the Boys... great job so far!

Tidiest looking rig I've ever seen (no I don't mean some chick walking around the yard)!!

Hats off to Steve, CD, and the Boys... great job so far!

Yeah she looks awesome , no doubt a lot of good times ahead .

Did Applied do the rig , can't remember ?

Doen't look like a whole lotta free board. Or is that just the angle of the dangle (I mean photo).

Mex

Gotta admit, the new flirt looks good. simple layout, clean deck, (interesting cockpit floor).

Hit the water yesterday, was out sailing yesterday afternoon.

We all had a look after the thursday beer can and while although it still needs a couple of things finished (mast boot, kite pole/sprit/prodder?), it looks pretty racey.

It will be hard to judge for a while as all the similar size competition has headed north for Syd/hob and wont be back till early Jan.

Owner is being low key but Im pretty sure is proud as punch with the new toy.

what say you CD?

is silver paint and red trim the only colour scheme available now days?? :P

sweet looking ride tho

Yep, the World-wide boat building industry got this really great deal on Silver paint and red vinyl on E-Bay. They still have shitloads of the stuff to use up so watch for the first Silver and Red Mac26X coming to a pond near you soon.

Anything other than Silver hull with Red trim and you soon won't be able to sneak a break at the start line :P

The Flirt boys and girls were out training again today. Been out every day since boat floated. Getting serious as first race for the boat isn't until mid Jan.

The Flirt boys and girls were out training again today. Been out every day since boat floated. Getting serious as first race for the boat isn't until mid Jan.

the boat is entered for Cock of the bay elfy

For those who haven't seen the new Flirt, these from this morning...

post-449-1197769665_thumb.jpg post-449-1197769694_thumb.jpg

post-449-1197769733_thumb.jpg post-449-1197769775_thumb.jpg

no prob fella...they'll have to wait till Docklands ivitational for that I spose .

According to Matt Shehan in the December issue of Yachting World in an article on the TP52's [P. 112]:-

"Super stiff hull and deck structures means there's no give, and serious weight concentration amidships both make for a violent motion at speed over waves. Keeping your footing is harder than you might think. The answer, aggressive non-slip in the cockpit - just don't fall over [or kneel down] with bare knees."

Hence the "interesting" look to the cockpit floor; OUCH :o

For those who haven't seen the new Flirt, these from this morning...

post-449-1197769665_thumb.jpg post-449-1197769694_thumb.jpg

post-449-1197769733_thumb.jpg post-449-1197769775_thumb.jpg

Amac and I gave you guys a flyby in the Bladeriders. Nice looking boat, i want one :)

There was some mention in the office here that there is another owner looking to have the Corby built in Oz. Two of the same design could lead to some very interesting bay racing...

Saw the new Flirt out on Sunday off Brighton. Looks awesome. Huge rig, huge kite and very open cockpit. She seemed to be smoke'n along, although it hard to say when they had nothing around them. Great looking boat alright. What does it rate?

According to Matt Shehan in the December issue of Yachting World in an article on the TP52's [P. 112]:-

"Super stiff hull and deck structures means there's no give, and serious weight concentration amidships both make for a violent motion at speed over waves. Keeping your footing is harder than you might think. The answer, aggressive non-slip in the cockpit - just don't fall over [or kneel down] with bare knees."

Hence the "interesting" look to the cockpit floor; OUCH :o

Ouch indeed and just imagine the temperature of the black cockpit floor on a hot sunny day B) .

They would hope those flash Slam deck shoes don't melt! Big plus is that it should be effective in keeping barefoot Kiwis off the boat.

Ouch indeed and just imagine the temperature of the black cockpit floor on a hot sunny day B) .

They would hope those flash Slam deck shoes don't melt! Big plus is that it should be effective in keeping barefoot Kiwis off the boat.

Chris hasn't been entirely successful keeping kiwis off the boat.

She seemed to be smoke'n along, although it hard to say when they had nothing around them.

Downwind - 15 knots boat speed in 18 knots true wind.

All the boats doing the Syd - Hob. are in Sydney now. Which one of the Melbourne fleet will be on the pace?

Georgia

Can anyone enlighten me in the reason why Chutzpah is entered into events as a Caprice 40 rather that a Reichel Pugh 40?

All the boats doing the Syd - Hob. are in Sydney now. Which one of the Melbourne fleet will be on the pace?
Georgia will be OK

Living Doll will be good in light-medium

Chutzpah and Shogun could feature if hard downhill.

Can anyone enlighten me in the reason why Chutzpah is entered into events as a Caprice 40 rather that a Reichel Pugh 40?

Maybe Mal has a grand marketing plan for the design along the lines of the top selling Shockwave 36's :P

Is there movement at the station? Noticed today that XLR8 has gone from its dock and that the new Flirt has moved across in to the same dock. Also saw a very sick Sydney 36CR with a damaged keel after a solid contact, apparently with a rock just near the Anonyma. Ouch at any time let alone just a week out from Christmas.

Maybe Mal has a grand marketing plan for the design along the lines of the top selling Shockwave 36's

Quite possible.

However the Shockwave 36 was a just wee bit "over the top" for a production yacht, so two less radical (read lightweight, high SA/disp, and high SA/stability) yachts were designed and put into production which were based on the RP design 121 "Shockwave".

The G-Force X-treme 37 produced by Windsong Yachts in South Africa.

Windsong Yachts

The Seaquest 36 which was named Race Boat of the Year 2004 by Cruising World and Sailing World magazines.

Seaquest Yachts

Maybe Mal has a grand marketing plan for the design along the lines of the top selling Shockwave 36's :P

So I,m guessing you're not in the market for a new boat at this point in time? :lol::lol:

So I,m guessing you're not in the market for a new boat at this point in time? :lol::lol:

You're quite right; you are guessing!

Also saw a very sick Sydney 36CR with a damaged keel after a solid contact, apparently with a rock just near the Anonyma.

fuckin' things have rock magnets built into the front of their keels.

Was the hull join cracked and was there any hull depression of the rear of the fin? Fackers are tough but crikey they like the bricks. :(

Georgia will be OK

Living Doll will be good in light-medium

Chutzpah and Shogun could feature if hard downhill.

So you're tipping a DNF for Cougar II ??

Also saw a very sick Sydney 36CR with a damaged keel after a solid contact, apparently with a rock just near the Anonyma.

Sounds like Yorkey's knob strikes again, between Anonyma and SYC tower. It's taken out a few keels and props over the years

Doesn't sound good for Flirt in the Cock of the Bay.

I have it on good authority they will be in for a really hard time in the light conditions. :P

From Sail world.

"The Entire Cock of the Bay race is run close in to shore, following the bay around from St Kilda to Elwood, Brighton, and Sandringham, providing great land based spectator viewing.

They then continue onto the finish line at Blairgowrie in readiness for the start of the Kidder Williams Melbourne to Launceston and Heemskirk Consolidated Melbourne to Hobart races.

Chris Dare in his Corby IRC 49, Flirt, will be looking for an across the line win. He will be hard chased by the Geelong based Savoir-Faire, Malcolm Eaton’s Beneteau First 47.7, with a good racing set up and some of the best sailors in Geelong on board Malcolm will be hoping for a strong showing."

By Jennifer Mc Guigan

Doesn't sound good for Flirt in the Cock of the Bay.

I have it on good authority they will be in for a really hard time in the light conditions. :P

From Sail world.

"The Entire Cock of the Bay race is run close in to shore, following the bay around from St Kilda to Elwood, Brighton, and Sandringham, providing great land based spectator viewing.

They then continue onto the finish line at Blairgowrie in readiness for the start of the Kidder Williams Melbourne to Launceston and Heemskirk Consolidated Melbourne to Hobart races.

Chris Dare in his Corby IRC 49, Flirt, will be looking for an across the line win. He will be hard chased by the Geelong based Savoir-Faire, Malcolm Eaton’s Beneteau First 47.7, with a good racing set up and some of the best sailors in Geelong on board Malcolm will be hoping for a strong showing."

By Jennifer Mc Guigan

WTF is Jennifer on ???? wrong on all accounts !

WTF is Jennifer on ???? wrong on all accounts !

Maybe not so wrong as first thought.

On IRC didn't they beat you guys by four places :P

And Flirt by about forty :lol:

Perhaps the really good sailers from Geelong were on that boat after all ;)

No doubt some great sailors on the 47.7, but that race was a"crap shoot"

eXtasea just got the gun in the Lstn part of the race at approx 1525, no one in sight behind them, now heading off to Hobart & the battle with Banks St.

eXtasea just got the gun in the Lstn part of the race at approx 1525, no one in sight behind them, now heading off to Hobart & the battle with Banks St.

Nice job the anarchist(s) on that boat.

Greetings from the Top of Tassie.

Now Rossco...Not saying the boys on Savoir Faire are bad at all...they are very very good. the artical suggested that they were being chased (online honours!?) by them.

and Yes we were beaten by them on handicap...we finished in four Knots of squirt...don finished in the same then everyone sailed in on a sea breeze....do you understand what this equates to?? yep little boats come home with it and good for them they deserve it.

Well done in the MTL and best of luck for the next leg.

BTW I have some great shots of your boat slightly to leeward and behind about half an hour into the COTB ;)

Just need to work out how to get them out of the phone :P

As promised, sorry for the poor quality

post-2116-1198839839_thumb.jpg

And one of Flirt about 10 minutes past the Sandy mark.

post-2116-1198840074_thumb.jpg

And another a few minutes later.

post-2116-1198840632_thumb.jpg

Anyone know if Cougar 11 is going to be able to fix the chainplates and get back to Melbourne in time for the Scandia Geelong Regatta?

Remembering this is the first leg of the Audi IRC series.

eXtasea just crossed at approx. 1750 - a bloody long Melb-Hba. well done to Buck, richly deserved ! , Nudger & every body on board.

Answered my own question.

Cougar 11 back at SYC.

Starboard chainplates have lifted the deck probably 1.5 to 2cm, so my guess the ring frame needs some work.

Port side looked OK but difficult to see without climbing aoard.

Hope it is all easily fixable.

eXtasea just crossed at approx. 1750 - a bloody long Melb-Hba. well done to Buck, richly deserved ! , Nudger & every body on board.

Thanks guys. That was a good trip. The heroes of the race had to be on Alex - they were two-up and only 12 minutes behind us.

I left Giddy Up at the Customs House yesterday afternoon and he was drinking jugs of rum through a straw. I would suspect he was a bit worse for wear today.

Thanks guys. That was a good trip. The heroes of the race had to be on Alex - they were two-up and only 12 minutes behind us.

I left Giddy Up at the Customs House yesterday afternoon and he was drinking jugs of rum through a straw. I would suspect he was a bit worse for wear today.

erhh...... that would be bourbon, BURP ! and ended up kicking off today with Bacon, eggs and Baileys on ice.

QLD was quite entertaining too !

G'day Everyone,

The other half and I are heading over your way in late feb for a couple of days. Her plans for the holiday are to shop, my plans are to look at boats.

Some time ago, I was tracking a yacht called Stiletto which my father built 30 odd years ago. I will contact Port Fairy yacht club in the morning but has anyone got a better idea as to where she is?

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...&hl=syrenka

Also what yacht clubs are Cougar, Chutzpah and Skandia at?

Can anyone suggest any places that should go and see?

cheers

Swanno

Swanno,

Good luck looking for Stilletto, shouldn't be that hard to track down as it was a very distinctive looking craft if I remember correctly.

Cougar is at Sandy, Chutzpah will probably be at Royal Victoria and Skandia is based at Mornington.

Not Melbourne based, but the question was asked earlier in this thread re Hardys Secret Mens Business.

Apparently the boat (R/P 46) was a write off after her altercation up at Hamo, and GB is looking to build a new Reichel Pugh 48 or 50 footer!

So is this larger R/P the same design as the purported "new" XLR8?

Cougar is at Sandy, Chutzpah will probably be at Royal Victoria and Skandia is based at Mornington.

Chutzpah is based at Sandringham.

You should also check out the new Flirt (Corby 49) and Georgia (Farr 53). Both these are at Sandy also.

Mex

anyone got any updates on the xlrate program??

Boat currently sits quietly over at Savvos wharf - in the keel pit but doesnt seem to be much activity.

Maybe just saving on antifouling costs?

Greetings from the Top of Tassie.

Now Rossco...Not saying the boys on Savoir Faire are bad at all...they are very very good. the artical suggested that they were being chased (online honours!?) by them.

and Yes we were beaten by them on handicap...we finished in four Knots of squirt...don finished in the same then everyone sailed in on a sea breeze....do you understand what this equates to?? yep little boats come home with it and good for them they deserve it.

what fkn seabreeze,you werent there,dont guess,dont make excuses. Was that a Sydney 36 in front at banks. No one saw it because it was a tassie boat I guess.

what fkn seabreeze,you werent there,dont guess,dont make excuses. Was that a Sydney 36 in front at banks. No one saw it because it was a tassie boat I guess.

Hey Seaman Stains...i suggest you go back through the thread and understand it. You quoted me in the wrong context. we were talking about the Cock of the Bay race ...bot Banks straight.

lighten up fella.

Now for the Hobart race

Ahhh, yes I was there. I think your handle suits you well

oh and yes, that was a Creative intention infront of us...just to weather ...just goes to show how long we parked up for losing our 11 mile lead over the next boat (Dekadence) and moving back into 5 or6 th on line...we got going again though.

any more insults mate?

GU

any more insults mate?

GU

Reckon I might have a few for ya!!

btw...bro says thanks for the frog...good as gold!

Reckon I might have a few for ya!!

btw...bro says thanks for the frog...good as gold!

let's hear 'em buddie !! :P

frenchie was a good hand onboard.

you missed a grat trip home via Port Davey and Strahan.