Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gonzo377

J122

Anybody know anything?

Clubber,

commisioning hull 2 late March and will race it over at AYC spring. Then off to hull 6 and doing BIRW and all races after that.

Clubber,

commisioning hull 2 late March and will race it over at AYC spring. Then off to hull 6 and doing BIRW and all races after that.

Thanks Gonz, lookin forward to seein' one in person.

Thanks Gonz, lookin forward to seein' one in person.

Hull #2 will be for sale right after BIRW. 430k race ready.

Hull #2 will be for sale right after BIRW. 430k race ready.

OOOOOOOO......I'll take 3 of the fuckers.

why so soon?

Its a boat that belongs to J/Boats. It was originally sold but sale fell through. Now Jim/Jeff J want to race it this spring and make it available either for Block or after.

$430k race ready.

There's a sucker born every minute.

- P.T. Barnum

I don't know. I guess there is OD factor until the J123 comes along. A quick yachtworld search .. $425k that will put you in a race ready 1-2 year old X43 or IMX 45. (at asking price).

There's a sucker born every minute.

- P.T. Barnum

I don't know. I guess there is OD factor until the J123 comes along. A quick yachtworld search .. $425k that will put you in a race ready 1-2 year old X43 or IMX 45. (at asking price).

The boat is being built for IRC with the hope of OD.

Why would you want a IMX45 for $425. At that price there is a sucker born everyday.

The boat is being built for IRC with the hope of OD.

Why would you want a IMX45 for $425. At that price there is a sucker born everyday.

$425K is a sucker price. thats why i said 'asking' price. you could buy one for a lot less. But its a great build.. tons more room. did well in the Bermuda race. (who wants to go offshore or near shore in a J122?) Looks like you still need a big gang on the rail of a j122. Its probably ubder 12kts wind here and look at the heel with 9 people to windward.

Plus $435K is still w/o tax and limited electronics and small sail inventory.. $500k is more like it by the time you are done. ;)

j122web7.jpg

$425K is a sucker price. thats why i said 'asking' price. you could buy one for a lot less. But its a great build.. tons more room. did well in the Bermuda race. (who wants to go offshore or near shore in a J122?) Looks like you still need a big gang on the rail of a j122. Its probably ubder 12kts wind here and look at the heel with 9 people to windward.

Plus $435K is still w/o tax and limited electronics and small sail inventory.. $500k is more like it by the time you are done. ;)

j122web7.jpg

Actually 430 with Electronics and full race inventory thats only for hull #2. Could not tell you what they are going to cost you off the showroom floor.

should have I think 6-8 122's at Block..

Have fun racing your IMX45 ;)

Gonzo, Is hull #2 still going to Florida in March?

It will be staying up north and getting sent to AYC in April.

The original plan was for it to be setup and have a shakeout sail in Florida.

Gonzo, When is boat schedule to arrive? I take it they are bringing it to RI. Will it be there for the J Winter Rendezvous?

from what I understand is mid-march but that could change. Thats not on our schedule right now.

Actually 430 with Electronics and full race inventory thats only for hull #2. Could not tell you what they are going to cost you off the showroom floor.

should have I think 6-8 122's at Block..

Have fun racing your IMX45 ;)

Hey, it would be nice if you are right..especiallyif you sell them i guess. But i think its a dream and I'll eat an IMX 45 if there are 6-8 x J122s at Block. (Unless J is paying for expenses and housing)

Here is one brokers quote

Included in Package Pricing:

Sail Package: Carbon main, carbon tape drive #3, carbon tape drive #1, jumbo spinnaker, reaching spinnaker (Estimate: $31,700)

Electronics Package: B & G H2000 System w/5 displays, Raymarine E80, VHF (Estimate $33,200)

IRC endorsed certificate

All import & exchange fees

Freight, Commissioning (McMichael Yacht Yard), bottom paint

Total Price Less Tax Delivered in Mamaroneck $437,520

For those who missed the details above

Base Boat $345,500

Sails $ 31,700

Electronics $ 33,200

Other Items $ 27,120

Total Sail Away $437,520

This pricing is subject to change and meant to be a general guide to the Round the Buoy boat we are prepared to have built for you. You add personal safety gear a Coast Guard package, ground tackle and off you go.

Hey, it would be nice if you are right..especiallyif you sell them i guess. But i think its a dream and I'll eat an IMX 45 if there are 6-8 x J122s at Block. (Unless J is paying for expenses and housing)

Here is one brokers quote

Included in Package Pricing:

Sail Package: Carbon main, carbon tape drive #3, carbon tape drive #1, jumbo spinnaker, reaching spinnaker (Estimate: $31,700)

Electronics Package: B & G H2000 System w/5 displays, Raymarine E80, VHF (Estimate $33,200)

IRC endorsed certificate

All import & exchange fees

Freight, Commissioning (McMichael Yacht Yard), bottom paint

Total Price Less Tax Delivered in Mamaroneck $437,520

For those who missed the details above

Base Boat $345,500

Sails $ 31,700

Electronics $ 33,200

Other Items $ 27,120

Total Sail Away $437,520

This pricing is subject to change and meant to be a general guide to the Round the Buoy boat we are prepared to have built for you. You add personal safety gear a Coast Guard package, ground tackle and off you go.

I will preface with I am not a dealer or broker, just have some inside info.

since I will be on Hull#2 in spring and its going to Block and I will be on #6 and it will be at block. I know of 2 going with a possible 4 -5 more possibly being ready for Block.

Remember that #2 will be a used boat and no one can take delivery until after Block

J122 - global hull numbers of course, so hull numbers 2 and 6 bound for the US with the rest European ??

Ever heard of the "Gallic Shrug" - that's what I got when discussing late delivery from J-Europe - if you are counting on a speedy output you could be dissapointed - I hear there has been good demand for boat in Europe

Anyway - great looking boat, attractive design, hoping to get a sail on one. Pricey - a little yes in absolute terms but consistent with the competition (new 40ish footers)

Good news, now for the all important question,

What's it rate?

Just looked at the specs. Volvo engine...no thanks, I can still smell the deisel on my hands from dealing with one of those P'sOS

Just looked at the specs. Volvo engine...no thanks, I can still smell the deisel on my hands from dealing with one of those P'sOS

And try getting the Volvo part you need out on some island. Anywhere. Yeeech.

$500k boat? I would just buy a spare engine to keep on hand. :D

Lucky enough to sail one today. First impressions very very positive. Tracks great upwind, good feedback and responsive on helm. Effortless is how i'd sum it up.

A boat purchase is partly (largely) an emotional choice. If I had the cash for a 40fter the choice would be between a Class 40 and a J122 - different animals perhaps but both very desirebale.

Lucky enough to sail one today. First impressions very very positive. Tracks great upwind, good feedback and responsive on helm. Effortless is how i'd sum it up.

A boat purchase is partly (largely) an emotional choice. If I had the cash for a 40fter the choice would be between a Class 40 and a J122 - different animals perhaps but both very desirebale.

Why wouldn't you get a used Swan 45? They come down to around $500 every so often though most are 6+. Totally difference league... or you could get a J-boat. J-boats serve a great purpose, but at 430+ for a 40 footer it seems very high.

It is planned on being released at the J Mid winter rondevos next Sat.

If you would like to see some pics. chek out the Gallery at www.vermontyachts.com The site is still under construction so please excuse the dust.

So, did anyone here see the J122 at the JBoats event last weekend?

What did you think?

What did you think?

I was there.

The boat defently is a step up in fit and finish from my 120.

Pro's

What did you think?

I was there.

The boat definitely is a step up in fit and finish from my 120.

Pros's

Bigger Cockpit

Recessed Wheel

Below Deck furler

Removable dock box

Interior fit, finish and hardware nicer than 120

German main sheet system.

Traveler on cockpit floor.

Roomier head.

Ventilation is standard.

Con's

Same salon layout. No need for 2 ways into the head.

Dual aft cabin(ok if it were charter boat)

Dual head version (why?)

No Garage(available with 2 head version)

Same PHRF/IRC rating.

Shorter waterline

No big Genoa.(have to see how it performs in light air)

Smaller forward stateroom.

Bigger price tag.

Saildrive.

That's the short list.

Overall I would give it a A-

Boat will be doing AYC Spring and if anyone is interested to take a look let me know.

Nice thing is you can get it with one or two aft cabins...I really loved the garage on my J-109, but with 3 kids, someone was always sleeping in the main salon. With the two aft cabins, I wouldn't have to sleep folks in the main cabin...everything is a compromise on any sailboat. I do agree with why 2 heads? 40ft boat only needs one, and its just one more to have to clean...Saildrive was also a boon, from a noise, vibration, and manuvering standpoint. But is a maintenance issue, so again, everything is a compromise...My wife is in love with it already...she wishes we didn't sell the 109..and want to go to Newport to see it. What are you doing over Easter weekend Gonzo?

Nice thing is you can get it with one or two aft cabins...I really loved the garage on my J-109, but with 3 kids, someone was always sleeping in the main salon. With the two aft cabins, I wouldn't have to sleep folks in the main cabin...everything is a compromise on any sailboat. I do agree with why 2 heads? 40ft boat only needs one, and its just one more to have to clean...Saildrive was also a boon, from a noise, vibration, and manuvering standpoint. But is a maintenance issue, so again, everything is a compromise...My wife is in love with it already...she wishes we didn't sell the 109..and want to go to Newport to see it. What are you doing over Easter weekend Gonzo?

Boat will still be up in RI till Thursday before AYC Spring. You can contact Jim J over at J/Boats for a tour before it comes down to Rye.

"hoping of OD"

It looks like J are pretty much away from the idea of OD these days, the 80 exc. I think they are 'hoping' to bring endless new, more expensive, higher margin boats to IRC / PHRF owners feeling the squeeze on their skills and crew abilities and exahusting their sail makers patience.

At this price range and type of performance are people really looking for "a racer with cruising potential" or just some IRC op's i.e. wooden junk and design compromises?

They should have stuck to the excellent and light crewable j125 and done something serious OD marketing / support with that instead of the 'either side' of it boats.

It's all cheque book ego racing anyway at this wonga$

"hoping of OD"

It looks like J are pretty much away from the idea of OD these days, the 80 exc. I think they are 'hoping' to bring endless new, more expensive, higher margin boats to IRC / PHRF owners feeling the squeeze on their skills and crew abilities and exahusting their sail makers patience.

At this price range and type of performance are people really looking for "a racer with cruising potential" or just some IRC op's i.e. wooden junk and design compromises?

They should have stuck to the excellent and light crewable j125 and done something serious OD marketing / support with that instead of the 'either side' of it boats.

It's all cheque book ego racing anyway at this wonga$

the 122 will never be a successful o.d. class. It a joke to sell it like that. For its price and another $100-150k you are in a NY42 with 30 boats already ordered and the backing of NYYC o.d. racing and everything they have to offer (regatta management, social, etc). I expect if you can afford a j122 you can afford a ny42. the j120 never had a really successful o.d. class on the east coast, so this thing surely will not. anyway.. it is a nice looking boat. but take a guy like brown eyed girl..those o.d. types have already left the j's and decided to go to the NY42 for o.d./cruising/racing

the 122 will never be a successful o.d. class. It a joke to sell it like that. For its price and another $100-150k you are in a NY42 with 30 boats already ordered and the backing of NYYC o.d. racing and everything they have to offer (regatta management, social, etc). I expect if you can afford a j122 you can afford a ny42. the j120 never had a really successful o.d. class on the east coast, so this thing surely will not. anyway.. it is a nice looking boat. but take a guy like brown eyed girl..those o.d. types have already left the j's and decided to go to the NY42 for o.d./cruising/racing

How many of you guys have put up your money for a boat like you are talking about? If you put your deposit down today on a122, you're looking a a hull number in the 40s, and a summer 08 delivery. Obviously, a fair number of people think this is just the kind of boat they want. And OBTW, you need the J-122's money plus about 200-250 to get into a Club 42 (NY 42). They go for around $650 out the door. Which is close to 1/3 again as much as the J. And for that what do you get? Racer Cruiser, interior, non -overlapping headsail and a-sail on a sprit. Built by Swan, and a beautiful boat. But to a formula J figured out over a decade ago. So why bash the 122 and exalt the NY 42? I don't get it.

I like what I hear about this boat and predict it will be campaigned well by experienced owners who know what they are doing. Bet the Farr design for Beneteau in this range- 12R?- is going for the same market and it will be built stateside, just as fast, slightly less quality wise, and 100K cheaper.

So many toys, only one lifetime.

You forgot to add the price of admission to the NYYC.......

Not all of J-Boat's market is in the LIS area.

Top post ...

OD ? - J109 OD far more successful in Europe than the 105 ever was/is and I can see US 105 owners moving to the 109 esp in light aire venues - J80 recently sold 50 to the French Navy and 100 boats expected for the Worlds in France ... J understands OD and the 122 has a very good chance of establishing an OD presence - however its a lot of boat to trailer/ship around so I say it will be more local fleet based than National - the 122 is very nice, getting to see the UK boat again today - the 120 sold pretty well in UK and did well under IRC offshore crewed and short handed - even with the #3 only I think the 122 will go well and sell well - the UK owner is doing a two handed Fastnet in his.

You forgot to add the price of admission to the NYYC.......

Not all of J-Boat's market is in the LIS area.

true, but you dont need to be a NYYC member to own, sail / socialize in the regattas an dtehre will be a o.d. club. just the first hulls went to them and St francis.

How many of you guys have put up your money for a boat like you are talking about? If you put your deposit down today on a122, you're looking a a hull number in the 40s, and a summer 08 delivery.

I wonder if the 122 is taking sales away from the 109,124, and the 133? Anybody know how the rest are selling?

There are 14 used 120's on the market that are not moving too fast. I guess if you got that kind of money you are going to gravitate to a new one.

I wonder if the 122 is taking sales away from the 109,124, and the 133? Anybody know how the rest are selling?

There are 14 used 120's on the market that are not moving too fast. I guess if you got that kind of money you are going to gravitate to a new one.

122 is a lot more boat than a 109 - we did see a few UK 120 owners trade down to a 109 in order to get a better IRC boat and the OD (no 120 OD to speak of here) - 124 is an oddity, saw one today alongside a 122 - err why bother with a 124. J133 is more cruisey than the 122 - I think the 122 is way more preferable than a 133 but I prefer the 105 to a 109

Given how long JBoats keep most of their models in production that a jackass comment.

lots of people need to prove their coolness by saying bad things about Jboats - it's like they think it will gain them entrance into the club of really cool sailors.

I'm sure LIsailorkid is well aware that the 120 was introduced ~13 years ago, and that they didn't make a replacement until orders had completely dried up.

I guess he thinks they should have just given up on the market for production 40ft cruiser/racers with sprits.

I like what I hear about this boat and predict it will be campaigned well by experienced owners who know what they are doing. Bet the Farr design for Beneteau in this range- 12R?- is going for the same market and it will be built stateside, just as fast, slightly less quality wise, and 100K cheaper.

Anybody know anythibng more about the Bent 10R big brother. I was the Toronto BS, and somebody said they had a 38' sprit on the drawing board, (sshhh don't tell anybody) but they had a lot going on getting the 10r going. Are there any other Sprits in the 35-40' that we can spend a month crusing, yet capable of doing some racing. Boat destined for Vancouver eventually.

Hull #2 ready to be raced

Looking good, I understand why you are only coming for a weekend. A week with us or a week on that... do you think the Misses would let me play at Block rather than the OBX. :lol:

Looking good, I understand why you are only coming for a weekend. A week with us or a week on that... do you think the Misses would let me play at Block rather than the OBX. :lol:

No I dont think the misses will let you come to block :P

No I dont think the misses will let you come to block :P

It would be fitting as we are on the Island Tour this Spring. Key West, BVI and OBX... Block would have made a nice 4 Island Package. Ah wait I may still make 4 Islands with Mac (Your Fav race!)

lots of people need to prove their coolness by saying bad things about Jboats - it's like they think it will gain them entrance into the club of really cool sailors.

I'm sure LIsailorkid is well aware that the 120 was introduced ~13 years ago, and that they didn't make a replacement until orders had completely dried up.

I guess he thinks they should have just given up on the market for production 40ft cruiser/racers with sprits.

I don't think people are trying to "prove their coolness" by making comments about J-Boats. It seems like most are valid points. In general the following are hard to argue:

1) J boats are dominant in the small sport boat racer cruiser range by # of boats and thus can dictate boat choice to some degree based on future OD possibilities.

2) The current crop of boats are competing with the older group of boats and each other subsequently pinching many of the older boats/owners. IE the 120, how many boats could they possibly fit in the 35-43 foot range? Many of the old OD fleets are feeling presure form the new boats. 105 to 109, 120 to 122, 92 to 92s etc. Off the top of my head 105,109,122,124,125,133. I know they are from different eras and some are "day sailers" but most if not all have OD as a primary goal.

3) They don't have the build quality of a Swan, yet they are starting to encroach on the price of one (45 of 42)

I'm a fan of J-Boats, but in reality the new boats seem like they have a ton of margin built in. They aren't exactly cutting edge either. I think I could be wrong but doesn't the 133 or 122 not have a carbon rig standard? For 400k that should easily be stardard equipment. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think people are trying to "prove their coolness" by making comments about J-Boats. It seems like most are valid points. In general the following are hard to argue:

1) J boats are dominant in the small sport boat racer cruiser range by # of boats and thus can dictate boat choice to some degree based on future OD possibilities.

2) The current crop of boats are competing with the older group of boats and each other subsequently pinching many of the older boats/owners. IE the 120, how many boats could they possibly fit in the 35-43 foot range? Many of the old OD fleets are feeling presure form the new boats. 105 to 109, 120 to 122, 92 to 92s etc. Off the top of my head 105,109,122,124,125,133. I know they are from different eras and some are "day sailers" but most if not all have OD as a primary goal.

3) They don't have the build quality of a Swan, yet they are starting to encroach on the price of one (45 of 42)

I'm a fan of J-Boats, but in reality the new boats seem like they have a ton of margin built in. They aren't exactly cutting edge either. I think I could be wrong but doesn't the 133 or 122 not have a carbon rig standard? For 400k that should easily be stardard equipment. Just my 2 cents.

Actually the 122 does come with carbon rig standard.

This argument will never end. Its like arguing over Chevys versus Fords. Some have drunk the J Boat Kool Aid and won't ever change their mind until the next comet comes by and takes them away to the space ship.

A FULLY equipped (race and cruise) J122 will cost you at least $500k. I just think there are better alternatives for a more all around 40 foot irc boat. (Ok, $430k for a used boat with no cruising or storm rags, limited racing inventory, and you cant even pick the color).

And Gonzo.. whats the update on BIRW? Still look like there will be 6-8 boats up there? <_<

Or is that just what they are still telling prospective buyers? :lol: Its still early, but so far there are more Wyliecats on the entry list than J122s.

anyway.. i still wish i had one :huh:

This argument will never end. Its like arguing over Chevys versus Fords. Some have drunk the J Boat Kool Aid and won't ever change their mind until the next comet comes by and takes them away to the space ship.

A FULLY equipped (race and cruise) J122 will cost you at least $500k. I just think there are better alternatives for a more all around 40 foot irc boat. (Ok, $430k for a used boat with no cruising or storm rags, limited racing inventory, and you cant even pick the color).

And Gonzo.. whats the update on BIRW? Still look like there will be 6-8 boats up there? <_<

Or is that just what they are still telling prospective buyers? :lol: Its still early, but so far there are more Wyliecats on the entry list than J122s.

anyway.. i still wish i had one :huh:

BIRW is still a couple of months away, and I can not honestly say who will be there. As of last night there were only 2 109's entered.

Going well at Spi Ouest, 2 x J/122 and a A40 third in IRC1.

1 1.00 313 FRA122 ATLANTIS L. Sambron/J.Y. Jaffrezic 1,094 02:48:17 03:04:06

2 2.00 318 FRA34977 J LANCE 4 D. Le Moal 1,094 02:48:18 03:04:07

3 3.00 297 FRA 34567 PAPREC RECYCLAGE S. Neve 1,099 02:49:06 03:05:50

Another one from Hamble. Think it was going to IRL. Not sure about the orange :huh:

428337119_27164e7bcb_o.jpg

428338172_d6cfcfd5f1_o.jpg

1 sec difference ! that's one-design ;)

I heard that Bob Seegar (and the Silver Bullet Band) bought a J122 to race in the Chi-Mak Race?? Truth or fiction??

Anybody know anythibng more about the Bent 10R big brother. I was the Toronto BS, and somebody said they had a 38' sprit on the drawing board, (sshhh don't tell anybody) but they had a lot going on getting the 10r going. Are there any other Sprits in the 35-40' that we can spend a month crusing, yet capable of doing some racing. Boat destined for Vancouver eventually.

It's a Farr design- that is the only official info. I understand from a reliable dealer that the "12R" will be the next First series in this range, it will have a sprit, and it will be more like the 10R than the Bene 50. I think he said 2008.

I say bring it on. Especially if it's built in the US.

Anybody know anything?

They announce these boats and then it takes another 1-2 years before they begin showing up at boat shows.....lack of capital to build up a demo inventory and show case at major shows makes for very slow launch or a bad tease...then again, they can't likely build them fast enough anyway...expecting the J/122 to take off in spite of its hefty price tag, it is J Magic, one of the strongest brands in sailing.....I saw that big J/124 test sailing in the Estuary last weekend, jezus that think moves for a daysailor, the J/122 will be a bit of an animal with that high aspect rig (it's what 5 feet taller than the J/120?).

Another one from Hamble. Think it was going to IRL. Not sure about the orange :huh:

428337119_27164e7bcb_o.jpg

428338172_d6cfcfd5f1_o.jpg

That wheel is hot.

Hot! I tell you.... hot.

DG

It's a Farr design- that is the only official info. I understand from a reliable dealer that the "12R" will be the next First series in this range, it will have a sprit, and it will be more like the 10R than the Bene 50. I think he said 2008.

I say bring it on. Especially if it's built in the US.

Benny 38 Sprit works well for us, especially if it is 100k or more less then the J-122. We'll want to spend a month or two on it now and again, but also want to be able to race it now and again. Thanks for the update.

Benny 38 Sprit works well for us, especially if it is 100k or more less then the J-122. We'll want to spend a month or two on it now and again, but also want to be able to race it now and again. Thanks for the update.

I would have thought that a "12R" would be closer to 40ft than 38ft - does anyone know more about the length of the new boat?

I understand there will be a new First 40 in 2008 or 2009 to replace the 40.7. Not sure if it will be with sprit or not (my source have been promised one of the early ones).

I understand there will be a new First 40 in 2008 or 2009 to replace the 40.7. Not sure if it will be with sprit or not (my source have been promised one of the early ones).

So, The First 40, and the 10R are different boats?

So, The First 40, and the 10R are different boats?

I'm sure the 40-something = 12R a la 34.7 and 10R. Why do they name boat differently in the US and in Europe?

Final results are in. Not bad!

1. COURRIER DU COEUR G. Trentesaux, FIRST 44.7

2. HOLMATRO S. Speet, GRAND SOLEIL 44

3. J LANCE 4 D. Le Moal, J/122

4. ATLANTIS L. Sambron/J.Y. Jaffrezic, J/122

5. MARINERSCOVE.IE D. Dwyer, MILLS 39

I have seen the boat with the white wheel and it is really eye catching. Owners were kind enough to bring it to the Petit Bateau Solo Sailing Seminar in Southampton last month

The owners (husband and wife) will be doing the Aazores aand Back 2-hander in it this year - they won their class in a Sigma 38 last time - that race (1000 miles each way0 will be a real pleasure in the J122

Final results are in. Not bad!

1. COURRIER DU COEUR G. Trentesaux, FIRST 44.7

2. HOLMATRO S. Speet, GRAND SOLEIL 44

3. J LANCE 4 D. Le Moal, J/122

4. ATLANTIS L. Sambron/J.Y. Jaffrezic, J/122

5. MARINERSCOVE.IE D. Dwyer, MILLS 39

The boat goes really really nice

the medium to very light conditions had the boats rounding with the first 10-15 at almost every mark during spi ouest and I don't think the boat rated with the top 15 of the class...

Back to the top. Why is nobody talking about the one that is in America? One is sailing in Newport as of a week or so ago... All I know is that it went sailing. Photos? Sightings?

Back to the top. Why is nobody talking about the one that is in America? One is sailing in Newport as of a week or so ago... All I know is that it went sailing. Photos? Sightings?

I bet we'll see some photos when they pull some chainplates out this Sunday.

Already four 122's on the water between LIS and Newport, with the 5th crossing the pond now. The video speaks for itself. Next available boat in January, IM me for details if you want it!

shouldnt you buy an ad? (need some jib luff tension in the video)

according to post #12 there should have been 6-8 boats at BIRW in June. Is there a major production problem cover up? Just looking for fair and balanced reporting.

Nice boat.. how much is it?

lets put it this way... Faster than a NY42 (look at the results for AYC Spring, Newport Annual and BIRW) and cost half as much...

There was 3 in Block with the 4th getting in the US about 2 weeks later than expected, was getting commisioned during Block.

Hoping to have a one design start for the AYC Fall.

Gonzo Out....

The J122 has a YRALIS phrf rating of 36

A J44 rates 33 I think.

Gift rating? <_<

How does a wicked fast state of the art boat get a better rating than an old lead sled?

The J122 has a YRALIS phrf rating of 36

A J44 rates 33 I think.

Gift rating? <_<

How does a wicked fast state of the art boat get a better rating than an old lead sled?

You really like bashing this boat don't you.

You really like bashing this boat don't you.

Yeah,, I do a little bit. Jealousy.

But this more about bashing phrf. Does anyone really think this boat is slower than a J44 in most conditions?

Do you?

Yeah,, I do a little bit. Jealousy.

But this more about bashing phrf. Does anyone really think this boat is slower than a J44 in most conditions?

Do you?

You would think a boat that was built in the 80's would be slower than a year old boat. That's the great wonders of PHRF though.

I saw it last weekend. The boom is HUGE, pretty sure its the same if not bigger than a J130. The rig is pretty thin from the front. I was amazed at how much higher the cabin top was compared to previous J boats, probably because its European?

If you think the PHRF rating is bogus. Look at the IRC number. It equals a 54 PHRF. I cant find a IRC race that it has been in that it has not won.

If you think the PHRF rating is bogus. Look at the IRC number. It equals a 54 PHRF. I cant find a IRC race that it has been in that it has not won.

You are correct! It was designed to win in IRC.

By my own observation, the J122 is about 15-20 sec per mile faster than a J120. Approximately. So the J120 rates 51 or 54 (something like that) in CB PHRF. So the J122 PHRF rating seems about ok against a J120. Under IRC, both boats rate approximately even. No wonder why most 120 guys hate IRC. Hell, I'd ditch my 120 in a second for a 122. My problem is the 122 costs almost $500K and that is just too much for a 40 foot racer-cruiser.

Block Island Race.

But that won't keep me from considering a J-122 when we move up to that size range. It seems to me to be a great package. Just wish it could be built in Argentina for less. Too bad X-Yachts aren't built there as well.

Block Island Race.

But that won't keep me from considering a J-122 when we move up to that size range. It seems to me to be a great package. Just wish it could be built in Argentina for less. Too bad X-Yachts aren't built there as well.

The 122 was 1,2,4 in IRC 4 at BWRW.

And they should have been placed in the division above where they were. Look at the scratch sheet and tell me I'm wrong Gonzo.

And they should have been placed in the division above where they were. Look at the scratch sheet and tell me I'm wrong Gonzo.

Split was at 1.1. What's the problem kid ? How's your math ?

Yes and it would have been great to see them go against the X-41- but I was refering to the Storm Trysail distance race Memorial Day Weekend. Christopher Dragon placed 2nd in division and a certain patriotic X-Yacht beat them in fleet.

Kid,

I know you like stirring the pot but I will put it this way. We could of been with the NY42 (2 starts in front of us) and still would of beat them. As we started 10 min after them and passed them around the course all week. I think we even corrected out against Blue Yankee in one race and corrected out over them during the NYYC annual.

I dont sell or work for J/boats and I admint 450K is a little pricy for a 40 footer, but the boat performs as advertised.

Kid,

I know you like stirring the pot but I will put it this way. We could of been with the NY42 (2 starts in front of us) and still would of beat them. As we started 10 min after them and passed them around the course all week. I think we even corrected out against Blue Yankee in one race and corrected out over them during the NYYC annual.

I dont sell or work for J/boats and I admint 450K is a little pricy for a 40 footer, but the boat performs as advertised.

$462k with limited sail /elecs. inventory plus tax = #$500k plus. But a NY42 is about $800k so thats even more whack.

i just think taking arbitrary number split is dumb.. the upper division was similar boats (next closest boat was 5pts - their division next closest boat was 11 pts). divisions would have been 13 boats and 11 boat instead of 10boats and 14 boats. its a conspiracy

$500k is about right - boat is £250 on the water in UK in decent spec

120 was not designed with IRC in mind - 122 certainly is and so it's more competitve - same as the 109 / 105 comparison

122 has non overlapping headsails - 120 rated with #1 ditto J44 in PHRF ?

Saw one going very slowly in the Solent Monday - we overtook it downwind in a Bene 40.7 which really shouldn't happen !

Nice video, boy that kite came down fast. :D

going to have my crew watch that video, should move us up in the fleet with take-downs like that! :unsure::P

ducky

nice looking boat although i'd want less boat under the rig. What happens if you break the mainsheet inside the boom offshore? Looks pretty tough to rerun that. personally a lot of gratuitous thru hulls. that A sail looks good for USA conditions where you'd be sailing at higher AWAs (i.e. less than 12 knots TWS) but in some more breeze you'd want something fuller I think to dig deep. For offshore stuff you'd certainly want a reaching sail of some sort. Sprit looks stumpy. Would have like to have seen some of the interior and the spinnaker douse. For a boat that size and 5 crew (which is impressive if that's the number of crew you'd actually race it with) I'd want a retriever line.

What'd they do relative to the J120/125 to make it more IRC friendly?

nice looking boat although i'd want less boat under the rig. What happens if you break the mainsheet inside the boom offshore? Looks pretty tough to rerun that. personally a lot of gratuitous thru hulls. that A sail looks good for USA conditions where you'd be sailing at higher AWAs (i.e. less than 12 knots TWS) but in some more breeze you'd want something fuller I think to dig deep. For offshore stuff you'd certainly want a reaching sail of some sort. Sprit looks stumpy. Would have like to have seen some of the interior and the spinnaker douse. For a boat that size an