Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gonzo377

J122

nice looking boat although i'd want less boat under the rig. What happens if you break the mainsheet inside the boom offshore? Looks pretty tough to rerun that. personally a lot of gratuitous thru hulls. that A sail looks good for USA conditions where you'd be sailing at higher AWAs (i.e. less than 12 knots TWS) but in some more breeze you'd want something fuller I think to dig deep. For offshore stuff you'd certainly want a reaching sail of some sort. Sprit looks stumpy. Would have like to have seen some of the interior and the spinnaker douse. For a boat that size and 5 crew (which is impressive if that's the number of crew you'd actually race it with) I'd want a retriever line.

What'd they do relative to the J120/125 to make it more IRC friendly?

i dont know how stable it is, nor the contingency plan for the sheet breaking (running it externally when offshore makes the most sense to me), but i can say, save for the sprit, that everything else you mention is up to the owner when they buy the boat. Its not like a strict OD dingy where you are stuck with the same sails/shapes for all conditions. As for retrieving the kite, i have brought in a 138sqm kite on our j109 numerous times without a retrieval line with only one other person on the boat. In far windier conditions than what that video were taken in. I agree for sure though that the sprit looks pretty wimpy.

I agree for sure though that the sprit looks pretty wimpy.

I'm pretty sure the aspect ratio of the video is fucked up - at least when I watch it on my PC - making the boat look short w a lot of freeboard, and making the deckhouse look taller tan it is.

It also makes the sprit look shorter than it really is.

There are many clues - when he's talking about how easy it is to use all the mainsail controls, the wheel looks elliptical, the winches look too tall, the B&G displays on the mast have the wrong aspect ratio - they're too high, and look kind of like ockams - and many others.

Maybe this is just on my PC, but if the sprit looks short, I think you'll find that you are viewing it at the wrong aspect ratio - i'm guessing it was shot at 16:9, but on my PC, it's displaying at 4:3

you know, i think you may be on to something there. I retract my previous statement..

Actually very comfortable in wind and seas. Deck stays pretty dry and you get the nice creature comforts below.

actually 2 122 doing the fastnet.

They both withdrew ;)

so did 98 others..

Your point is what???

I guess the deck didnt stay that dry. :lol:

Thats a 100 percent failure rate!

alright.. to be fair..

As of 1800 BST, 161 yachts have retired from the race, and 110 yachts are still racing.

Only until the J123 comes out in Spring 08
The J123 is already scheduled to be replaced by the J121 in the spring of 09.

The J123 is already scheduled to be replaced by the J121 in the spring of 09.

The J120 had a long run I guess you have some real inside scoop to be able to talk about the J123 ! Alternatively you just be plain dumb.

Alternatively you just be plain dumb.
I know the guy. He isn't "plain dumb" he's fancy dumb. A J120 owner which explains it all. He's been spouting off about his J120 beating the J122 boat for boat.

Well J122 #1 is here in Liverpool, Uk. And whilst nearly every other class one boat is off to Pwhllheli for winter racing while our lock gets it's 25th yearly overhaul, the J122 is staying put. I believe the owner got her for a discounted rate, but that doesn't account for the fact it's lemon. cracks have appeared all over the deck, and now the carbon spokes of the you-beaut wheel are broken and the whole thing needs to be replaced. lol

£170k + and he is afraid go to sea in her!!

Well J122 #1 is here in Liverpool, Uk. And whilst nearly every other class one boat is off to Pwhllheli for winter racing while our lock gets it's 25th yearly overhaul, the J122 is staying put. I believe the owner got her for a discounted rate, but that doesn't account for the fact it's lemon. cracks have appeared all over the deck, and now the carbon spokes of the you-beaut wheel are broken and the whole thing needs to be replaced. lol

£170k + and he is afraid go to sea in her!!

What do you thnk Gonzo?

What do you thnk Gonzo?

I dont work for J/boats.. contact them for info on warranty problems.

lol I think he has the Warranty department on speed dial

:lol:

So the question begs are the J/boats France guys bending over backwards to help this guy out or just sitting on the pot?

the only thing I can say is that the issue has not been seen with Hull 2, 6, and 12. But like most things you should always refrain from getting the first one. Just look at the NYYC 42, keel and bulkhead issues for the first 10 boats from what I heard.

Yeah they have been good to him by all accounts but he is going to miss out the winter series.

Which is a huge pity as this winter Liverpool Yacht Club will be racing on fresh turf out of Pwhlleli, Wales against local PSC boats. Which wll mean a great class one fleet consisting of a X355, benetau 34.7, prima 38od's, J105's, J92's and Sigma 38's.

Yeah they have been good to him by all accounts but he is going to miss out the winter series.

Which is a huge pity as this winter Liverpool Yacht Club will be racing on fresh turf out of Pwhlleli, Wales against local PSC boats. Which wll mean a great class one fleet consisting of a X355, benetau 34.7, prima 38od's, J105's, J92's and Sigma 38's.

so I have a question? How does someone break a spoke on a carbon wheel? Did he run aground or hit something?

Those wheels are not that tender.

sorry unsure of the details, i believe they just broke???????????

Thats a hard one to believe.. It can happen but!!!!!!!!!!

sorry unsure of the details, i believe they just broke???????????

Spontaneous combustion? Or maybe my kid was on board.... "I don't know Dad, it just broke."

Build quality on the French Built J's is good - possibly better than the US built boats. Hard to compare as the US built boats we see tend to be older.

All I have to say is congrats to the guys on Chris Dragon, they sailed an amazing year we had fun trying to beat them at MBYC and hope they do well down in Key West this winter

All I have to say is congrats to the guys on Chris Dragon, they sailed an amazing year we had fun trying to beat them at MBYC and hope they do well down in Key West this winter

Ditto that. Go Dragon.