• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MiamiUSailor

America's cup

I'm rooting for the home team: Oracle and Dicko. How can you not root for a guy that lets people call him Dicko? PRICELESS!!!

If Oracle can't pull it out I'd like to see a team from Italy win it. Holding the AC in Italy would be a real cool thing to see.

WetHog :ph34r:

ETNZ

But I guess a kiwi will win no matter what they are in every syndicate.

ETNZ all the way otherwise why would everyone be stealing our bow design!

I want Oracle to win to bring the cup back to the States and maybe hold an Act in Newport (no idea if they'd actually do that, but it would be awesome). That said, I think Alinghi looks the best right now.

Oracle has no chance. Farr cannot win the AC despite having unlimited funds and final authority over everything. The fun will begin when they lose and we see who he starts blaming...

It is between Alinghi and ETNZ.

As usual the UK has fucked up on coverage ,er what coverage . Suppose to be putting a campaign together and as usual no coverage . Real forward thinking that to get the UK behind the campaign.Wankers.Oh I forgot its exclusive .Italy for me .They do it with style .

I think things will be closer than ever this year, with the Big Four being pretty much a toss up. And without Russell, I think Alinghi stands a chance to lose it.

Given all that it would be fantastic for Oracle to win and bring the cup to San Fransisco...fabulous environment for a high profile race.

But my Dark Horse is the Swedes. They've got the moxie and the talent, I'd love to see them do well.

cup would be awsome in san fran, so i gotta pull for oracle

would love to see south africa, and the spainards(w/ cayard) do a little upseting of the apple cart

new zealand will win no matter what, they are on all of the boats!

1. Emirates Team New Zealand 125

2. BMW Oracle Racing 123

3. Luna Rossa Challenge 118

4. Desafío Español 85

5. Mascalzone Latino 73

6. Victory Challenge 68

7. +39 Challenge 60

8. Areva Challenge 60

9. Team Shosholoza 55

10. United Internet Team 33

11. China Team 15

thats at the end of the acts..................we'll see Victory move up a couple of spots. But the top 3 are concrete.

It will be hard to knock Alinghi off.

Are there many people truly pulling for Alinghi this time around? They're kinda like the juggernaut that everyone respects, but really isn't passionate about. Is this just because they're the defender (I'm sure that's a big part of it) or is it the style of the campaign in general? They do everything well, they go about their business, but nothing is really that flashy or exciting. It seems like nobody would be truly pissed if they won, but nobody is really pulling for them either (that's where I am).

Is it because they're so big and so scary that we want to root for the underdog? Is this more pronounced than in previous cups or have things just changed given the nature of the cup and the nature of coverage?

I'm rooting for ETNZ, however, it would be nice for Oracle to win it and have it in the US, but on the other hand, I don't believe that the US public deserves to have it due to the general disrespect for sailing, and the cup. Take it to NZ and make some people happy, and hopefully retransform some place like Alinghi did to Valencia.

TC

and hopefully retransform some place like Alinghi did to Valencia.
Seems to me that if it goes back to NZ, it should be where it was, with perhaps some updating... Spain's taxpayers are spending what, a billion dollars(?) on the Port America's Cup.

Seems to me that if it goes back to NZ, it should be where it was, with perhaps some updating... Spain's taxpayers are spending what, a billion dollars(?) on the Port America's Cup.

I didn't mean totally redo the city and harbor system, but I do mean about the team bases, AC building, cleaned out the harbor, etc.

TC

ETNZ all the way. They have had there heads down and been working extremely hard this time round. Not only that, but they have been doing the most winning not only in the AC but also alot on the regatta circut.

No victory would be sweeter than ETNZ bouncing back to take the cup back off the arch nemisis Alinghi.

Gotta be ETNZ head and heart say so . Got a couple of mates on the team and would love to see them go well. But still get the jitters evertine I think back to our last performance .. Fark.... Your only as good as your last race and all.

I really like " the rascals" as well.

Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles! Jesper the Dragon King!

Win the bloody thing and hold it at Flensburg so that I can go and stay with friends and not go bankrupt watching a sailboat race.

Loyalty and a bit of national pride has my heart firmly in the ETNZ camp. But to back that up I think, from what we've seen so far, that they've learnt from the mistakes of the last Auckland defence and have bounced back to be a really strong contender.

Oracle has no chance. Farr cannot win the AC despite having unlimited funds and final authority over everything. The fun will begin when they lose and we see who he starts blaming...

It is between Alinghi and ETNZ.

Are you absolutly NUTS !!!! As if Alinghi can do it w/out Russel, slim chance....and don't start this BS about how well they did in the last 2 yrs of racing, it don't count when you are in the heavyweight rounds. Oracle ALL the way. Sorry but NZL will not make it. I am still reliving those HORRORS of the boat almost captsizing as it filled w/water, like it was the first time they were out in anything over 15. I want the cup back where it belongs.......

it would take more than a little bit of water to capsize something with 20 tones of lead hanging off it methinks... Oracle are all over the place, and they dont have the talent. Luna Rossa are the dark horse under the radar, but ETNZ are the leaders.

it would take more than a little bit of water to capsize something with 20 tones of lead hanging off it methinks... Oracle are all over the place, and they dont have the talent. Luna Rossa are the dark horse under the radar, but ETNZ are the leaders.

ummmm I was referring to the race when TNZ boat was filling up w/water and w/little satirical wit.....if it did fill up completely I would agree it more than likely would not capsize, but be that as it is they had some very, very bad luck w/out Russel. If it wasn't the mast breaking, the hula slowing them down or the boat sinking (hehehe) Russel gave 'ole Dean a down home can of whoop ass.

I'm rooting for ETNZ, however, it would be nice for Oracle to win it and have it in the US, but on the other hand, I don't believe that the US public deserves to have it due to the general disrespect for sailing, and the cup.

TC

Tim, I kinda agree with you however the US public has been taught by the sailing community and the press . Don't blame them, blame the teacher. You reap what you sew.

What the US needs is a Penske team

...the US public has been taught by the sailing community and the press . Don't blame them, blame the teacher. You reap what you sew. What the US needs is a Penske team

I can imagine several interpretations, but what do you mean?