• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GLSailor

Milwaukee -Area II Anarchy

I wouldn't base it on a Queen's Cup result either. LMPHRF shows the base rate of -60 unless the information is wrong. The NM68 Pororoca is the only 70 below that, and is an 1983 design. Windancer and Evolution are both at -72, the rest at -63 to -69. I would be hard pressed to believe that Promo is 20 seconds a mile slower than Windancer or Evo, and probably faster in certain conditions.

I wouldn't base it on a Queen's Cup result either. LMPHRF shows the base rate of -60 unless the information is wrong. The NM68 Pororoca is the only 70 below that, and is an 1983 design. Windancer and Evolution are both at -72, the rest at -63 to -69. I would be hard pressed to believe that Promo is 20 seconds a mile slower than Windancer or Evo, and probably faster in certain conditions.

-60 base rating, -69 long distance rating which is what is used in the queen's cup

in last years mac, promo was 17.4 sec/mile slower than evo, and like i said a mac result is not a great comparison except it's the only place where promo and evo have met.

i have sailed all three boats, windancer(cyno), evo and promo. and i will still stick with my belief that promo's base rating should be -47/-50

52791 Promo Nelson/Marek 52 -60

From lmphrf

I don't know how to quote another thread, I found this under a search for Ptargamin

My question is where in Michigan did it get the -42 rating then... and was this Pre or post modifications?

Post #1

Anarchist

Group: Members

Member No.: 1746

So whats the deal with this boat. Built as an IMS Bermuda contender in 2004, IRC optimized in

2005, now for sale for $750,000. Must have cost a fortune to build (could of had a TP52). Probably spent $250,000 on sails. Whats Dickie gonna do next? There is a full page ad in Sailing World. Comes with 4 Hella fans and an Alpine AM/FM CD receiver. I could see beating the HELL out of the Thurs night beercan fleet with this baby!

Before you ask

IRC Rating is 1.301

PHRF rating is -42 (Michigan and Southeast Florida).

And.. she won her divisioon in the 2004 Edlu Race!

Launched just before the 2004 Newport to Bermuda Race, Ptarmigan was built to take on the competition offshore sailing. Given the often-demanding weather of offshore racing, the hull and deck structure were constructed to handle boisterous conditions while keeping rig tension -- all while weighing as little as possible. This Nelson/Marek-designed 52-footer was designed to perform under the IMS Rule but has been updated in 2005 for IRC.

http://www.farrdesign.com/brokerage/Ptarmigan.htm

I believe the -42 came from Harbor Springs and was only a provisional from that race commitee. This, I believe, was before the IRC updates as PTarmigan.

As far as comparing to a SC70 ----- you must also take into consideration that most of these boats have been sailed by the same crews for years. This was the first year for the new Promo.

If we use the Mac numbers by comparison, they could be 20 secs/mile slower in the -40's..... Then Twister should be +15 phrf. Just to show you can't go off of one race......... WE SUCKED that race! But we don't go looking for a new rating, we go out, have fun and race the best we can on the water!!!

Any way, good luck to all this season!

Preston

As I am in the Chicago fleet maybe I should just stay out of this conversation however as it has turned into a rating/handicap discussion maybe an outside perspective is of value. The fact that owner of Scout recognizes that his Bashford 41 has had the benefit of rather strange USSailing ruling on the what the PHRF base handicap for the boat should be applauded not viewed with suspicion. Locally LMPHRF, regardless of what one thinks about it or PHRF in general, has its hands tied by the USSailing decision with anything having to do with the Bashford 41s.

Also no single race and particularly not a Mack race result can determine a correct PHRF number.

With respect to question about whether IRC would provide for a "better" handicap I do not know. However, if you are a proponent of measured based rules (which I am) as opposed to performance based rules I would consider making a switch. That would, however, require a substantial body of your local owners making the commitment to get IRC measured and to race IRC for a period to determine if it suited your needs. You would also have to chose between endorsed or unendorsed certificates. Major difference is that an endorsed certificate requires actual weighing.

Robin

"A full moon is expected for the night of the race. The moon will rise at 8:30 PM and set at 3:52 AM! Since this is the second full moon for the month of June, that makes it a “blue moon”. Assuming the weather cooperates, you can leave your flashlights at home. It is truly a fantastic race with a full moon out."

- From Queens cup website.

Anyone care to comment on the wrongness of this paragraph?

& yes I am a dork.

Anyone care to comment on the "wrongness" of this sentence?..

go grade someone's english paper...

Anyone care to comment on the "wrongness" of this sentence?..

go grade someone's english paper...

btw, there is not a blue moon in June.

That was the wrongness of which I was speaking.

I could give a hang about anyones English.

(Your 'english' should be capitalized.)

See you in MIL.

Jim Calto

See you in MIL.

Jim Calto

That's why I am not a smart ass typically... My English is terrible....

If I see you in MIL, I owe you a rum...

Bob

See you in MIL.

Jim Calto

No, there *is* a "blue" moon in June 2007 -- just not in Milwaukee.

There is a good probability that the MaxZ86 Windquest is doing the queens cup. They are registered. Should be fun to see for the 10 or 15 minutes we will see them at tthe start.

I saw a 25knot gust on Saturday, but it felt like a WHOLE LOT more. Maybe since it was cold and the air dense.

Any word if racing this Wednesday night at SSYC? MYC race course is closed down by the coasties.

what was the top wind speed you saw in that blow on Sat???

Our tack shackle couldn't take the heat so it decided to leave

Good ridence :angry:

bowline.

dex

I saw a 25knot gust on Saturday, but it felt like a WHOLE LOT more. Maybe since it was cold and the air dense.

Any word if racing this Wednesday night at SSYC? MYC race course is closed down by the coasties.

The women were out racing last night at South Shore. I would expect that the Wed races are still a go.

They set up course east of main gap. Someone said that they are not letting boats out of the Mc Kinley basin.

The C.G. asked SSYC not to race on Wed. They chased the women off the lake last night. Rumor has it MYC will race inside the wall.

The C.G. asked SSYC not to race on Wed. They chased the women off the lake last night. Rumor has it MYC will race inside the wall.

Tonight's race (Lasers, I believe) inside the wall. No racing tomorrow night.

Hey guys and gals,

We have a class championship regatta sailing out of MYC this season, S2 7.9's. Where is the best place to stay if you want to do some partying during the regatta?

SSYC if you want to go past 8pm. Pudlers, Garibaldi's all with in walking distance and the walk back is down hill. Good tunes , pool tables, sports TV, Mount Gay. Some grill food and pizza near bye. Hot bartenders at SSYC. About the same distance to the course maybe 5 min more we have more dock space and slips.

SSYC if you want to go past 8pm. Pudlers, Garibaldi's all with in walking distance and the walk back is down hill. Good tunes , pool tables, sports TV, Mount Gay. Some grill food and pizza near bye. Hot bartenders at SSYC. About the same distance to the course maybe 5 min more we have more dock space and slips.

South Shore is a great place tons of fun... and so are the Bars in the Neighborhood as Hung has said, including a new great Mexican restaurant / bar Hectors. But, the Regatta is at MYC and there is a disadvantage not being on the grounds, you know on shore postponements and that sort. Milwaukee YC is also a walk bridge away from Brady Street.. if you want night life that's probably a better spot to be.

Syrena will be there.

Sorry you won't, Sabotage.

Syrena,

Its an interesting weekend, I believe my brother is at the Montreal Grand Prix, My oldest daughter is at camp with her Mom and I am with my youngest. We are going to try to be out later in the day Sunday to see if we can take some pictures of you guys finishing.

I would hope that MYC would send any changes to racing to SSYC so we can post,but they have not said anything to me.

I would hope that MYC would send any changes to racing to SSYC so we can post,but they have not said anything to me.

I wouldn't think for a regatta like this they would make that special effort. Locally they should do this religiously, because of mix of the fleet. If I were MYC I would expect all the boats to be on premise.. We always stayed at the host club for the regatta. You get the news quicker and a better feel for the series that way. Oh I forgot the biggest reason to stay at MYC for a regatta...

They have a POOL...

Hey, for those who couldn't go... How was Wind Point?

Results are posted... Windpoint

Beautiful day on the water, nice steady light to moderate breeze all day, only really light area was at Windpoint.

Beautiful day on the water, nice steady light to moderate breeze all day, only really light area was at Windpoint.

Second that. Gorgeous, lazy sailing: one spin set, one jibe.

What are the normal festivities for the Queen's Cup? Are they all before the race in Milwaukee or is there a party in Muskegon after the finish? Racing my inaugural Queen's and the schedule of events has nothing listed in Muskegon...

There's a bash at SSYC the Thursday prior. (GREAT party) A must if you have time. " Good morning Queen's Cup racers..."

The race changes destination from year to year alternating from Grand Haven to Muskegan. I personally haven't seen a 'planned' party per say, but there's always a rum drink somewhere....

Scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, and tequila is a good start right after the finish.

We are discussing going to Milwaukee YC for a few days prior to Queens Cup start.

I do believe there is depth for Goblin (Ex-Promo) at the MYC docks?

Any thought is appreciated. I will contact them directly before arrival/.

Jim

Nice to see some of our neigbors to the North come down for the NOODS in Chicago.I was just asked by the Mosquito skipper to do the Mac with them .The last Mac I did was on that boat and I would have liked to do it but I have friends coming over fron the old country and we will take the kids to see Micky mouse doring that time.Now Queen's cup I was geard for but the Rodger 46 will not be ready for the Queen's cup..Mosquito ...Do you hear me?

Any ways, I have met some good people sailing with two hangles of rum hanging on the stern life lines.This people are fast and with a new set of sails they will be dangerous.Nice to meet the LATIS team and thank you for coming down to play in Chicago.Somehow we will have to repay you back.

DC/Chicago as in Dorin C

Mosquito ...Do you hear me?

Email or call me. 414-803-8749. We have room for a legacy.

Bob

Nice to see some of our neigbors to the North come down for the NOODS in Chicago.I was just asked by the Mosquito skipper to do the Mac with them .The last Mac I did was on that boat and I would have liked to do it but I have friends coming over fron the old country and we will take the kids to see Micky mouse doring that time.Now Queen's cup I was geard for but the Rodger 46 will not be ready for the Queen's cup..Mosquito ...Do you hear me?

Any ways, I have met some good people sailing with two hangles of rum hanging on the stern life lines.This people are fast and with a new set of sails they will be dangerous.Nice to meet the LATIS team and thank you for coming down to play in Chicago.Somehow we will have to repay you back.

DC/Chicago as in Dorin C

We had a blast in Chicago and really appreciated the warm welcome for our first 105 regatta

Looking forward to racing against yawl some more

Maybe some graphics for the boat will help everyone know who we are

Email or call me. 414-803-8749. We have room for a legacy.

Bob

Easy with that legacy.

I will get a hold of you by the end of this week..

Thanks

Dorin

We had a blast in Chicago and really appreciated the warm welcome for our first 105 regatta

Looking forward to racing against yawl some more

Maybe some graphics for the boat will help everyone know who we are

We all know who you are already.That fast green boat with red sail numbers and two half gallons empty juggs of rum hanging of the stern life line.Do not spend any money on graphics.

Dorin

We are discussing going to Milwaukee YC for a few days prior to Queens Cup start.

Jim

The GL 70s tie up at SSYC behind us between A & B docks 11 Ft of water.

The GL 70s tie up at SSYC behind us between A & B docks 11 Ft of water.

I emailed someone on the board of MYC to see what is used for dockage, I am pretty sure Twister, with a draft of 12.5 was docked at MYC for the Grand Prix last year.

Jim

I am sure MYC can handle you, But Twister is in a SSYC Slip this week, I think you may be able to get into SSYC particularly on the North side slips.. Both are great places..

Same way everyone else gets their rating. they send in their application to lmphrf along with thier check. They had a phrf rating from another region but rig and apendages were changed before the boat apeared in Milwaukee.

The boat was one of the last ims boats designed to work the rule, in effect designed to go slow but with a great ims rating.

Yes you would think that an ims rating or at least the vpp would influence our lmphrf rating but apparently it does not.

Lets get real, Promo's long distance lmphrf rating is the same as a sc70. might explain why they are not doing the Queens cup.

<"Same way everyone else gets their rating. they send in their application to lmphrf along with thier check.">

Apparently you do not know how Lake Michigan Political Handicap Fleet works; some applicants and Certificate holders are more equal then others. It all depends on who you know and/or who you blow. If you ever stepped on the toes or busted the balls of self described sailing VIPs and Oshkosh Ayatollahs, foregaeabouit.

<"They had a phrf rating from another region but rig and apendages were changed before the boat apeared in Milwaukee">

Dahhh.

<"The boat was one of the last ims boats designed to work the rule, in effect designed to go slow but with a great ims rating."

Don't bet on it. The boat was designed to appear slow by exploiting IMS VPP, but in reality it is anything but slow.

I'll bet that N/M proprietary VPP matches the real boat speed and VMG.

<"Lets get real, Promo's long distance lmphrf rating is the same as a sc70. might explain why they are not doing the Queens cup.">

The Lake Michigan Political Handicap Fleet Distance Rating fiasco is the bastard brain child of TM Sail. Anyone who has looked at basic algorithm for TM Sail's Distance Rating immediately recognized major deviation from theoretical and empirical evidence regarding factors which effect off wind boat performance. That is why LMSRF Area III has rejected its use. It is about time for Milwaukee sailors to dump it in the intellectual garbage can from which it came from.

Grinder

Dock at SSYC, walk over to Garabaldis and have a drink. They will give you a free ticket for a shuttle back and forth to Stumblefest that runs up till closing. The SSYC party Thursday night is a good one to hit.

I emailed someone on the board of MYC to see what is used for dockage, I am pretty sure Twister, with a draft of 12.5 was docked at MYC for the Grand Prix last year.

Have sailed on Twister in the past, and SA member SailTwister can confirm or correct, but pretty sure Twister's draft is just under 10 feet.

Have sailed on Twister in the past, and SA member SailTwister can confirm or correct, but pretty sure Twister's draft is just under 10 feet.

Yeah, sorry about that, I did a google search for Twister Dubois 50 and draft and the results were a bit misleading...

From someone who should know: MYC has more depth then SSYC. We would have to put them out on the end. They should contact the dockmaster for a reservation.

I know that Scout touched last year going in and out of SSYC and I would be willing to bet that we draw less than Goblin

We would like to try MYC due to it's proximity to Summerfest.\

Thanks for the info

the only place for goblin at MYC would be the end of pier face dock. there is ussually some big transient powerboat their though. the only other place is where goblin,(promo) used to be which is now taken by the new promo.

i would reccomend mckinly marina face dock for transient dockage. even closer to summerfest than myc. check out internet for phone #

<"Same way everyone else gets their rating. they send in their application to lmphrf along with thier check.">

Apparently you do not know how Lake Michigan Political Handicap Fleet works; some applicants and Certificate holders are more equal then others. It all depends on who you know and/or who you blow. If you ever stepped on the toes or busted the balls of self described sailing VIPs and Oshkosh Ayatollahs, foregaeabouit.

<"They had a phrf rating from another region but rig and apendages were changed before the boat apeared in Milwaukee">

Dahhh.

<"The boat was one of the last ims boats designed to work the rule, in effect designed to go slow but with a great ims rating."

Don't bet on it. The boat was designed to appear slow by exploiting IMS VPP, but in reality it is anything but slow.

I'll bet that N/M proprietary VPP matches the real boat speed and VMG.

<"Lets get real, Promo's long distance lmphrf rating is the same as a sc70. might explain why they are not doing the Queens cup.">

The Lake Michigan Political Handicap Fleet Distance Rating fiasco is the bastard brain child of TM Sail. Anyone who has looked at basic algorithm for TM Sail's Distance Rating immediately recognized major deviation from theoretical and empirical evidence regarding factors which effect off wind boat performance. That is why LMSRF Area III has rejected its use. It is about time for Milwaukee sailors to dump it in the intellectual garbage can from which it came from.

the only place for goblin at MYC would be the end of pier face dock. there is ussually some big transient powerboat their though. the only other place is where goblin,(promo) used to be which is now taken by the new promo.

i would reccomend mckinly marina face dock for transient dockage. even closer to summerfest than myc. check out internet for phone #

thanks

thanks

no problem, goblin/promo used to tough bottom in their old slip.

if you do dock in the north basin, as you pass the enterance you want to hang a left and proceed along the channel next to the currogated seawall. if you proceed forward and go along the north side of the basin you will touch bottom.

Yeah, sorry about that, I did a google search for Twister Dubois 50 and draft and the results were a bit misleading...

From someone who should know: MYC has more depth then SSYC. We would have to put them out on the end. They should contact the dockmaster for a reservation.

I know that Scout touched last year going in and out of SSYC and I would be willing to bet that we draw less than Goblin

If I remember right, you guys were on the bar, and not the one inside the club :) ... IF you stay close to the slips you miss all the adventure. But what do I know, We only draw 7 and we still go out the south rubble gap, we don't have a problem with water -- Yet...

What' s up with the slips in the new park off of SummerFest and across from Discovery world?... is there enough water there? Now that is close to SummerFest...

What' s up with the slips in the new park off of SummerFest and across from Discovery world?... is there enough water there? Now that is close to SummerFest...

They are transient slips, perfect for this purpose.

From their site: "Visitor Boat Slips & Overnight Boat Camping accommodates 20 boats up to 60 feet in length. Overnight stays limited to four days. Fees are $1.50/ft (minimum $30)."

Last time we went in (late last year), we kept a close eye on depth, and I seem to recall between 8-12" all the way to the Pier Wisconsin face dock... Not sure about water in the slips, but they were constructed in a place that used to have 12+

More info here. http://www.friendslsp.org/amenities.html

They are transient slips, perfect for this purpose.

From their site: "Visitor Boat Slips & Overnight Boat Camping accommodates 20 boats up to 60 feet in length. Overnight stays limited to four days. Fees are $1.50/ft (minimum $30)."

Last time we went in (late last year), we kept a close eye on depth, and I seem to recall between 8-12" all the way to the Pier Wisconsin face dock... Not sure about water in the slips, but they were constructed in a place that used to have 12+

More info here. http://www.friendslsp.org/amenities.html

only problem is no can or showers this year.

Twister draws 9' 10" or so. We will be at SSYC either Sunday or Thursday. We plan on being on the end of A dock or B Dock. If you would like to raft off us, you are more than welcome, just bring nice fenders. We got the boat painted this offseason. Boat goes in the water Tomorrow. FINALLY!!!

What are the normal festivities for the Queen's Cup? Are they all before the race in Milwaukee or is there a party in Muskegon after the finish? Racing my inaugural Queen's and the schedule of events has nothing listed in Muskegon...

Activities at Muskegon just got posted on the QC web site.

Activities at Muskegon just got posted on the QC web site.

From the current forecast on Sailflow we will be lucky to get there by Sunday... 1-3 Knots all night, better get ready for a drifter.

Does anyone know when they are going to post the division splits for the Queen's Cup? Seems like that would be set by now.

Does anyone know when they are going to post the division splits for the Queen's Cup? Seems like that would be set by now.

Thursday at 11 AM when Registration opens.

This weekend we delivered Goblin up to McKinley marina. It was a pleasant delivery after the Waukegan race. Look for the big black stick at the end of the dock, it's really not very hard to miss. Promo's stick is the only one anywhere near the same size and they are on the other end of the harbor. The water depth was not an issue, at the dock we found it at the shallowest at 12.5'.

Now, let's go have some fun and hope the forecast changes to 18-25 from the SSE. See ya all on Friday or whenever in Muskegan.

Jon

This weekend we delivered Goblin up to McKinley marina. It was a pleasant delivery after the Waukegan race. Look for the big black stick at the end of the dock, it's really not very hard to miss. Promo's stick is the only one anywhere near the same size and they are on the other end of the harbor.

I saw her today coming in from the women's series. Pretty-pretty. Nice to have some big boats up here.

Div 3 looks almost like 1D. Fun. Guessing 63-72 or 66 to 81.

I saw her today coming in from the women's series. Pretty-pretty. Nice to have some big boats up here.

Will we be seeing you on the race over?

Stop by and say hi - that goes for everybody too.

Jon

Jon

just don't yell at people for cutting thru the cockpit

just don't yell at people for cutting thru the cockpit

Actually Grinder your guy was just rude.I was there witnessing that guy coming across the cockpit and informed your guy that he was told earlier on to go thru the cockpit since you had it covered,(maybe not boat etiquette for what I know).All he had to tell the guy was that he was the new GOD and the game has changed.But NO that was not enough for little Napoleon,he had to make this guy go around again thru the cockpit to teach him a lesson.

Lame,but what do I know.

Good luck on the Queen's Cup

Dorin

Jon

I'll be hanging out on the pointy end of Bacchus this year. As a QC virgin, that seems appropriate.

I'll wear my SA t-shirt. Introduce yourselves. Clearly, you are my people.

Thursday at 11 AM when Registration opens.

I still can't seem to find the splits on the Queen's Cup page. Are they waiting until registration closes this evening?

EC Are you talking the hook? its 197.4

Nope, the Racine Race scheduled for this Saturday. MYC to Racine.

Nope, the Racine Race scheduled for this Saturday. MYC to Racine.

I don't know the exact mileage but it used to be around 20 Miles. I remember 20.5 for some reason...

I don't know the exact mileage but it used to be around 20 Miles. I remember 20.5 for some reason...

Ended up being 18.6 or something like that. Quick fetch/beat down and lazy chute ride back after the race. Great day for a sail. Too bad there were barely any boats out.

Ended up being 18.6 or something like that. Quick fetch/beat down and lazy chute ride back after the race. Great day for a sail. Too bad there were barely any boats out.

I was wondering about that too, There were a lot of boats in their slips when I came down with my family around 3:30 or so. I wonder why that is? Windpoint race was probably the best attended event of the four so far. I would have thought this to be similar.

I was wondering about that too, There were a lot of boats in their slips when I came down with my family around 3:30 or so. I wonder why that is? Windpoint race was probably the best attended event of the four so far. I would have thought this to be similar.

Sabo:

I'm starting to think that each MKE Bay event needs to be promoted on its own, given its unique character (although the Bay series should be protected at all costs). The Port Race and Regatta was a blast in 06, and shows signs of growth. The Racine race was hammered by the 03/04 (I don't remember which) race where everyone spun at the finish line and came home instead of camping out and making it a weekend. They're not much different in concept, but perceptions rule. I'll bet a bunch of us don't even put it on the schedule in the spring anymore.

Syrena

Thought I'd post these nice shots of Scout at Grey's Reef...we enjoyed our gybing match with you from the bridge to the Island!

Thanks for the pics, I knew we should have covered you and not gone to the shore, would have been a much more interesting gybing match... live and learn. If you could PM me I would like any higher res shots you might have.

Thanks

We're coming for the S2 7.9 Championships. Hope MYC is better than there lame web page.

Hey Ed,

Are you bringing the S2 to the Red Fox Regatta? You need to. It is a great time. There are a few S2 7.9's. There will be somewhere around 10-12 in that fleet.