• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

My Adidas

117 posts in this topic

My Adidas

No, these are Pumas. As in the new Puma VOR team, headed by Ken Read. This here is the old AMRO sporting the new Puma colors...Uh, are those painted on port holes or shoe eyelets? Is this what happens when marketing picks out the paint scheme? For a much closer look take a look here and thanks to Club Racer for the pics. Comments on the paint job?

04/06/07

puma_70_1.jpg

My Adidas

No, these are Pumas. As in the new Puma VOR team, headed by Ken Read. This here is the old AMRO sporting the new Puma colors...Uh, are those painted on port holes or shoe eyelets? Is this what happens when marketing picks out the paint scheme? For a much closer look take a look here and thanks to Club Racer for the pics. Comments on the paint job?

04/06/07

I reckon that's the coolest paint job ever, except I don't like pink.

It makes you wonder what there "marine" line of footwear is going to look like.

cuter'n hell!

and the roller skate..!

I hope the lace holes are a line of portholes!

I think it looks pretty sweet! It's also nice that another company is entering the sailing fold. Hopefully it means that interest is on the rise!

The Puma on the bow and the Puma 'stripe' are cool, but the shoelace holes? If they try to make this thing look any more like a shoe it's going to suck. I love my Puma Californias to death, but it doesn't mean I want to sail in them. ABN AMRO didn't try to make their boat look like a bank, right? Regardless of what they do with the scheme it's a great thing to have them involved. They bring street cred and a fresh vibe to the arena.

I get the paint job but the eyelets are too much. That's just f'n stupid and it's a hell of a thing to do to a boat that's so wicked fast and has such great lines. :angry:

It could be flowers and rainbows, the 70's are still some of the coolest yachts on the water. Well maybe not that bad a Paint Job.

Great to see a new Global Brand getting on board.

I have used my California's as a Back Up sailing shoe when the Top Siders are wet and funky. :blink:

I reckon that's the coolest paint job ever, except I don't like pink.

I wonder what the halyards are made of... Do they have little plastic thingies on the ends in lieu of a nice reeve eye.. Top sider had best beware...

That cockpit floor is a bit confusing to look at.

woops...they left the ABN AMRO stickers on the grinders

That cockpit floor is a bit confusing to look at.

Can you imagine having to look at that all day? They forgot the ABN stickers before the pub shots... Oops.

Great to see Puma on board but WTF are they thinking! I did not think it was possible but they managed to make a Volvo 70 butt ugly. Pink? Fake shoelace holes? Fake stitching to look like leather? WTF again! You did not see Pirates paint their boat to look like wood planking but even that at least it would still look like a boat. Excuse me I need to go to the head after looking at this pig…

I assume that's ABNA 2 correct? It doesn't look like the "reverse" sloped bow of 1. Not really sure what to call a bow that has reverse rake...

Anyone know the answer to the following?

1) Which boat is this?

2) Are they buying both?

3) Are they going to build a new boat?

4) Are they going to build 2 new boats?

Presumably this is what Puma's new line of women's boat shoes will look like?

No, then it's just plain sad to do this to such a boat. Mind you, I didn't much care for the previous paint job either.

Call me curmudgeon, but I am not a fan of paintng up sailboats to look like Nascar machines. Wait, I'd better go have a cup of coffee and rethink this whole thing.

It looks nice, but I think they should have went with a bright red. The boat looks like it has been sitting out in the sun for a couple too many years, they pre-faded it.

I assume that's ABNA 2 correct? It doesn't look like the "reverse" sloped bow of 1. Not really sure what to call a bow that has reverse rake...

Anyone know the answer to the following?

1) Which boat is this?

2) Are they buying both?

3) Are they going to build a new boat?

4) Are they going to build 2 new boats?

Ericsson has ABN 1

The boat looks like it has been sitting out in the sun for a couple too many years, they pre-faded it.

Exactly, a nice bright anything would have made much more of a fantastic design.

That thing looks so stupid. This sick racing machine now looks like a stupid shoe. Sure keep the stripe but also keep it simple - and black. When I was a kid I bought an old wooden Blue Jay and I thought it would be cool to paint it pink and call it Pink Flamingo. So I did, and when I was half way through the paint job I went down to the garage one day and my dad had the chainsaw out, and he was cutting it in half. He said the boat was "no good." I was really upset at the time, but I soon realized that that was probably the greatest thing my dad had ever done for me.

You would have to pay me to sail that thing too.

Just dropped by www.puma.com where there is a kindof cool design your own shoe feature.

Exactly, a nice bright anything would have made much more of a fantastic design.

Ohh... Standfast had such a nice assignment. The paint job is splendid. It looks like 3 dimensional, and because of the smooth surface required to compete anyway, I am sure it is as smooth and silky as the rest of the boats. 2 so far. I guess mr. de Ridder will be surprised to have a top competitor like this in the race.

Quite possibly the ugliest paint job ever. However, if it is a "paint" job and not a NASCAR style "decal" job I give the yard workers a lot of credit with the detail work.

Kenny ought to draw some nice chuckles from his fellow NYYC members when he pulls up to Harbour Court in that thing.

On a serious note, Congrats to Kenny. It will be exciting to have a VO70 program based out of Newport.

You would have to pay me to sail that thing too.

Who are you trying to kid?

Eyelets? Portholes? I thought it was a Buick and those were the exhaust ports for the engine used to cant the keel. And yes, they should have pulled the ABN Amro labels off the pedestals.

There is no question about who paid for the job, so I say good job. Certainly is unique for a boat.

Paint job is nicely done, and definitely attracts attention. Good from a marketing perspective, but personally I would never bastardize the beautiful lines of a VO 70 to make it look like a 'sailing shoe'.

i think its class!

any idea when its going out sailing? the last shot they seem to be backing it up to a travelhoist....but no rig, rudder keel etc

if they're launching it they must have some amount of a sailing team set up.....

I dig the shoe design, but they should change it to a navy blue, black, or green faded color and then paint shoelaces into the lace holes. That way, they could draw the laces across the top of the deck around the mast which I think would be pretty awesome. Make it darker and it's set to go. Can't wait to see their line of marine gear.

horrible paint job! but im not payin for it so, who gives a shit?

any idea when its going out sailing? the last shot they seem to be backing it up to a travelhoist....but no rig, rudder keel etc

It looks like the TaveLift is loading it on a truck for transport. I suspect they may be shipping it to Newport, RI. USA for the Summer sailing season. Kenny's Innerview a couple days ago on SA hinted that at least initially the Puma program will be based in Newport.

I don't see why they don't just stick a few appendages on her and sail her over. They would be cutting down on costs and have plenty of water time to get prepped for the next big event.

I can't wait until she comes to New England. I definitely plan to go check this one out in person.

Carbon

Absolutely heinous. Puma marketing team gets an F- on that debacle. Should have used graphic artists that actually specialize in large scale format. They paint (I'm sure its a wrap) what appears to be a toddler's sneaker shape onto a mean machine go fast boat, completely defying the nature of the thing. Then in an obvious display of zero comprehension of how these things are sailed, they paint a mind boggling, nauseating, myriad of repeat patterns on the sole. Meanwhile they've left behind their most powerful branding mark, that leaping, growling puma. An all white hull with a big black howling puma streaking across the front 1/3 of the hull would have done, or better yet, reverse the colors to white on black. I can't wait to see the promo trailer that these bozos put together, no doubt it will have the Wind soundtrack....

Paint job is nicely done, and definitely attracts attention. Good from a marketing perspective, but personally I would never bastardize the beautiful lines of a VO 70 to make it look like a 'sailing shoe'.

I really don't see how anyone can call the lines of a VO70 "beautiful". To my eyes all modern racing monos are simply functional.

They can turn to Little Feat for a theme song:

You've got to put on your sailin shoes

Put on your sailing shoes

Everyone will start to cheer

When you put on your sailin' shoes

I really don't see how anyone can call the lines of a VO70 "beautiful". To my eyes all modern racing monos are simply functional.

agree. same with modern cars. just a machine, designed by computer optimization .

so why not have some fun.

It's a heck of lot better looking than an AC class yacht though, yes? Ignorning paint jobs.

They can turn to Little Feat for a theme song:

You've got to put on your sailin shoes

Put on your sailing shoes

Everyone will start to cheer

When you put on your sailin' shoes

Actually, its Robert Palmer.

Kinda cool looking and it gets the message across - not many in doubt what Puma makes.

Also - when you go below you will smell a serious case of athlete's foot - look and smell matches

Google - Puma, Ocean Race...

416 results on 42 pages in Google. May be ugly but folks are talking.

I think it looks quite flash, and I bet that the filters in the camera are making look pink. There is one picture of the boat inside where they show the aft end of the coach roof and it looks red.

Plus I have seen a pair of Puma's that are red suede that look like the boat is based off of.

It's a heck of lot better looking than an AC class yacht though, yes? Ignorning paint jobs.

Not to me, I can't see any beauty in either, so IMO a snazzy and innovative paint has to be a big improvment on any of them. I bet Puma has started a fashion!

This is my idea of a beautiful boat.

post-9187-1175884872_thumb.jpg

I like it!

Maybe now i can paint my scow to look like a flip flop.

Waiting for a condom manufacturer to sponsor an entry.

I like it!

Maybe now i can paint my scow to look like a flip flop.

shouldnt it be a rubber barn boot, with cow manure crust?

:ph34r:

The VOR 70's are streamlined, stripped-down racing machines. They are simply glorious in the pure functionality of their design. That's what I consider beauty. Beauty is also the classic J boat of the 1920's but the VOR 70's are another kind of beautiful. And that paint job totally bastardizes it.

Not to me, I can't see any beauty in either, so IMO a snazzy and innovative paint has to be a big improvment on any of them. I bet Puma has started a fashion!

This is my idea of a beautiful boat.

It's just my opinion but.. I would like to sail a boat I can manage, maintain, sail, crew on my own. My wife is there for leisure and her health, the guest are there only to help me if they want.

With me it's more like: could you get the main rope for attaching the boat to the shore please (the "voor land vast" in Dutch) and if they don't know the name I gladly take all the time in the world to show them, how it is called, how to handle it, what knots to use, and afterwards we have dinner! If you want a classic boat like that, and I did this on my dragon for 12 years, you can't handle a boat like what you showed. Here are my attachments on what a boat like that should look like.

post-17796-1175889025_thumb.jpg

post-17796-1175889219_thumb.jpg

It's just my opinion but.. I would like to sail a boat I can manage, maintain, sail, crew on my own. My wife is there for leisure and her health, the guest are there only to help me if they want.

With me it's more like: could you get the main rope for attaching the boat to the shore please (the "voor land vast" in Dutch) and if they don't know the name I gladly take all the time in the world to show them, how it is called, how to handle it, what knots to use, and afterwards we have dinner! If you want a classic boat like that, and I did this on my dragon for 12 years, you can't handle a boat like what you showed. Here are my attachments on what a boat like that should look like.

Yep, another beautiful looking boat! I'm not sure whether the different interpretations of "beautiful" here are a question of semantics, or perception.

I think its god awful looking for a private sailboat (and glad to hear its a wrap so it can be un-done someday), but as far as the purpose of the paintjob (marketing) it really gets the point across. I don't think you can mistake that its puma, and if you don't know who puma is you can't miss the fact that they're a shoe company. A more schematic approach with the stripe/puma logo like their t-shirts have would have looked way better, but I'm not mad becuase more money in the VOR is a good thing. If they show it can be a good marketing platform, that will help the race thrive and the tech get improved.

And I think its a lot better than a nascar job - but that doesn't say much.

Plain beautyful.

Pink is fast. Remember Mean Machine

Plain beautyful.

Pink is fast. Remember Mean Machine

In my book, pink is cissy.

In my book, pink is cissy.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

The object of the exercise is to get people thinking/talking about Puma. This thread suggests that they've succeeded.

interesting to see what they'll do on their race boat! follow a similar theme - or make it more aggressive....grrrr.....

Glad to have Puma as a participant. Graphic are way cool.

But really now......

The color is homo.

Calling all taggers! Bring your black and silver spray paint.

Glad to have Puma as a participant. Graphic are way cool.

But really now......

The color is homo.

Calling all taggers! Bring your black and silver spray paint.

Still a class act I see. :angry:

I first thought the sponsor was Pepto Bismol.

We all live in a pink submarine?

I first thought the sponsor was Pepto Bismol.

We all live in a pink submarine?

"The one that floats is the only one you need..."

I always thought the puma color was more red/orange than pink? It will be interesting to see it later on if its more pink or orange, i bet it ends up more red/orange than red/pink.

As long as the question has been asked, I think Puma fell far short on the paint job. I agree it looks as though it is red boat that has chalked. True they are pushing a new line of gear, but the global brand is and has historically been a pouncing puma. Stick with what works. In my opinion a simple fire engine red boat with a black silhouetted puma on one side and a white silhouetted puma on the other would have been sharp.......and super fast. Makes one wonder what kind of graphics abortion the sails will have...........should they not match the boat scheme? (shutter)

I think the paint design scheme looks horrible, lets hope that the guys responsible for this abomination don't have any control or say over the actual sailing part of the program ("can we get the 3dls in pink-no? Well better change headsail materials to something like spinaker cloth where we can go with a broader color motif"). I picture Bronson Pinchot (sp?-"surge" in beverly hills cop) tell us that the crew uniform colors are just not sexy........

Try that on for size!

It's a first class paint job. Nice work. Sure will turn heads, and that's the idea eh.

I think the paint design scheme looks horrible, lets hope that the guys responsible for this abomination don't have any control or say over the actual sailing part of the program ("can we get the 3dls in pink-no? Well better change headsail materials to something like spinaker cloth where we can go with a broader color motif"). I picture Bronson Pinchot (sp?-"surge" in beverly hills cop) tell us that the crew uniform colors are just not sexy........

You know maybe, just maybe, they wrapped AA2 like that so it won't overshadow the scheme (hopefully painted, not wrapped) of the actual boat for the race.... which could well have the awesome scheme that we all want.....................

I do agree that it looks shite though. Bring on the black hull with the white puma.

Effective shock marketing... ugly... sissy colors...

Feel bad for the human eye balls and optic nerves that will be staring at that deck, grinding... headache!

Good on Puma for having a go at it!

In my opinion a simple fire engine red boat with a black silhouetted puma on one side and a white silhouetted puma on the other would have been sharp.......and super fast.

In my opinion a simple fire engine red boat with a black silhouetted puma on one side and a white silhouetted puma on the other would have been as boring, predictable and unimaginative as most racing yacht colour schemes ........... good on ya Puma!

I do not know how monitors work in USA but here from europe this doesn't look pink. it looks like a lightly faded red, looking like red suede. very puma.

You would need an apple ipod entry as sponsor or porsche design or luis vuitton to get really cool looking boats. In last years I think the first luna rossa was really elegant.

Which sponsor in your opinion would bring the best looking boats?

roca

I do not know how monitors work in USA but here from europe this doesn't look pink. it looks like a lightly faded red, looking like red suede. very puma.

You would need an apple ipod entry as sponsor or porsche design or luis vuitton to get really cool looking boats. In last years I think the first luna rossa was really elegant.

roca

I was a big fan of the Disney sponsered boat last time round- more for the sails than the hull, mind. Has there been a better looking spinnaker than the Black Pearl's code zero?

Actually, its Robert Palmer.

Actually it's Little Feet.

Lowell George produced and played guitar on Palmers first solo effort. Sailin shoes was a little feet cover.

Looks shit in my opinion..don't like it at all !

FS

Sneaker pimp.

Looks great to me. And red. Don't forget that sneaker's been over 40 at night so it can be any f'n colour Puma wants and still be as badass as they come.

(Where else is ABN's logo clearcoated and still visible other than the grinding pedestals?)

WOW

that is a really big shoe!

It is fit for the viking god ODIN! I'm not sure how ODIN feel about pink however... Maybe if ODIN got more in touch with his feminine side maybe....

My Adidas

04/06/07

Those aren't eyelets - they're gunports!

BTW, this is just the trial horse, and not the boat for the next VOR. So the paint job doesn't matter that much.

Waiting for a condom manufacturer to sponsor an entry.

Nearly happened, and for this race too. We got close to signing Durex (Brit condom manufacturer) for a ULDB in the 89/90 Whitbread. Boat would've been called Durex Featherlite (their major brand). Even made up some prelim graphics for the corp presentation with a very pale pink shiny chute. Nice'n'tacky - not sure how the RNSA would've liked it, but sure to tickle the press.

Those aren't eyelets - they're gunports!

BTW, this is just the trial horse, and not the boat for the next VOR. So the paint job doesn't matter that much.

Quite. This is just a quick n dirty effort. Still looks good.

My wife loves it. This could be a big chance to exploit the cross-over effect this could have for sailing. It seems the big challenge is how to get the word out that sailing is fairly accessible. Puma's involvement might pave the way.

My wife loves it. This could be a big chance to exploit the cross-over effect this could have for sailing. It seems the big challenge is how to get the word out that sailing is fairly accessible. Puma's involvement might pave the way.

Exactly.

it is brilliant in a marketing way: everyone wil recognize it as a puma shoe, sailing or not, you can't mis it

they can paint...err wrap it whatever color they want. ok, the deck is a little busy but that'll be covered in green water most of the time. she's a volvo 70 from newport--she's beautiful. congrats kenny! go puma!!

roca

Barely Legal

Man, I didn't know Puma pushes the envelope in terms of advertising, this VOR could be interesting. I would assume they only use this ad in the EU.

Racey Puma Ad

I'm just happy bear's got a job. I was scared he was gonna have to go back to school or something equally evil.

Man, I didn't know Puma pushes the envelope in terms of advertising, this VOR could be interesting. I would assume they only use this ad in the EU.

Racey Puma Ad

Puma must be mighty fed up to see that appear again. Here's what they said, first time round, back in 2003.

PUMA AG Statement regarding unauthorized "bad taste advertisement":

It has been brought to our attention that several unauthorized, sexually suggestive advertisements portraying the PUMA brand have been released over the Internet. We are appalled that images like these would be created and distributed under the PUMA name. As a brand, we seek to take a unique perspective toward our advertising in an effort to challenge the boundaries of our industry; however we would never consider using these tactics.

We are in the process of researching the circumstances and reserve any legal steps available.

Puma must be mighty fed up to see that appear again. Here's what they said, first time round, back in 2003.

PUMA AG Statement regarding unauthorized "bad taste advertisement":

It has been brought to our attention that several unauthorized, sexually suggestive advertisements portraying the PUMA brand have been released over the Internet. We are appalled that images like these would be created and distributed under the PUMA name. As a brand, we seek to take a unique perspective toward our advertising in an effort to challenge the boundaries of our industry; however we would never consider using these tactics.

We are in the process of researching the circumstances and reserve any legal steps available.

Puma thanks you and I thank you for bringing this appauling hoax to our attention!

Only ever had one pair of Puma shoes. Now I don't have smelly feet but those suckers stunk like the south end of a north bound puma, really really bad! They're going to need one big mutha odoreater for that baby!

roca

Hugo Boss - Alex Thomas, Syd-Hob and beyond. Dinner jackets (tux's for you yanks) for the crew - way cool.

ww

roca

In Volvo Ocean Race I thought Ericson is looking very clean and designed. You must like that. Most Ugly was Pirates of the Caribbean by Walt Disney.

In America's cup by far the best looking is Prada. For years they have the cleanest boats with La Luna Rossa. The ugliest is Areva. Although their current grey one is an improvement than the yellow thing they had before.

But like everything else in life. It's just a matter of taste.

post-17796-1176207849_thumb.jpg

post-17796-1176207864_thumb.jpg

post-17796-1176207873_thumb.jpg

post-17796-1176207883_thumb.jpg

post-17796-1176207849_thumb.jpg

post-17796-1176207864_thumb.jpg

post-17796-1176207873_thumb.jpg

post-17796-1176207883_thumb.jpg

About the Louis Vuitton thing in the VOR : Bernard Arnault (Guy that owns most of the LVMH group) is trying to buy Puma through one of his holdings. He already has 25%.

Dont know if it will change anything for the Puma VOR campaign but it looks like Vuitton and Puma might well have soon the same big boss ...

About the Louis Vuitton thing in the VOR : Bernard Arnault (Guy that owns most of the LVMH group) is trying to buy Puma through one of his holdings. He already has 25%.

Dont know if it will change anything for the Puma VOR campaign but it looks like Vuitton and Puma might well have soon the same big boss ...

See the thread in the main forum,

It's not Arnault but Pinaud his arch-rival.

Aglets,

The little plastic thingies on the ends of shoelaces are called aglets.

Nice graphics, but a bit too much like those shoe ads of the mid nineties where the shoes were drawn to look like boats

See the thread in the main forum,

It's not Arnault but Pinaud his arch-rival.

Your right, mixed up with the Carrefour thing ...

None of them are funny guys anyway <_<

So to correct myslef, Gucci and Puma will have the same big boss ...

i think it's a perfect paint job. the more high end companies that see what can be done, the more outrageous sailing we'll all be able to participate in, as well as watch, enjoy and talk about.

I get the paint job but the eyelets are too much. That's just f'n stupid and it's a hell of a thing to do to a boat that's so wicked fast and has such great lines. :angry:

1UP

The boat is just fast looking and something to look at with just a white LP, and for the most part PUMA should understand there logo is self sub-staining. The deck is fine, give it a nice red paint job with a white PUMA logo and call it a day. I think there's to much danmed advertisement these days in the first place making this boat look like a shoe is almost as bad as painting advertisement on airforce jets when they go on bomb runs.

Never the less being young 1UP for PUMA neaby it well attract more of the young crowd to the sailing/racing community.

I thought the VO-70's were beautiful boats, but this one makes me want to puke, and I'm sure it would be worse in any kind of sea-way.

They definatly should have left it clear-coated carbon and just put a white puma across the front 1/2 of the hull.