• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TimClark

Offshore Boots

This was the only mention of these boots in this tread (as far as I could see), is it because they are not widely known, or are not good boots?

I would like to pick up a pair of these in the next few days, I will need them very soon. Sure the Dubarry's are supposed to be the best, but the Sperry's felt more comfortable, seem to have good insulation, and are 1/2 the price. I see most everyone recommends the gore-tex socks.

I am also happy I got to use the search function, and got it to work! :lol:

My friend has the Sperrys and he loves them

[bump]

I'm in the market now for a pair of sea boots. From what I've read in this thread, I'm leaning towards the Dubarry's, since it seems they make them narrow, and I have narrow feet.

My question:

Almost all of the boots I've looked at (Dubarry, Musto, SLAM, Aigle, Sperry) look like they'd be great as long as you have enormous ankles. The last I checked, my ankles don't extend halfway to my toes, like these boots do. So what in these boots keeps you from walking out of them everytime you take a step? What keeps them from falling off your feet when you're sitting on the rail? Is this an issue or are the pictures deceiving? I have skinny ankles, too.

A few people asked about gaiters. From my hiking exp. been in some serious weather(-15F 90mph), though I never jump into rivers or anything, so I can't totally speak to their waterproofness.

Outdoor Research makes the best gaiters I've ever used. On my mountaineering boots I have some that fit tightly and are insulated around the boot.

62210_401_m.jpg

probably wayyy over kill for sailing

When I get around to it I need a new pair for mild conditions. Probably double as heavy weather sailing gear. Most of them are gore-tex.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_crocodiles.html

Check out OR

yep, I would be interested in any tips about how to take care of the (dubarry) leather as well..

And where do you get good gaitors? I have nether seen or found them anywhere yet..

Mink oil is the best way to keep the leather boots waterproof and supple. Warm up the boot to open the pores before lightly applying the oil.

As far as loss of grip on older boots forget the solvents, they work on race tires not polymer soles. Mechanical abrading is the best way to restore grip - sand paper or a good run on concrete from an angry husband/father has worked for me in the past!

[bump]

I'm in the market now for a pair of sea boots. From what I've read in this thread, I'm leaning towards the Dubarry's, since it seems they make them narrow, and I have narrow feet.

My question:

Almost all of the boots I've looked at (Dubarry, Musto, SLAM, Aigle, Sperry) look like they'd be great as long as you have enormous ankles. The last I checked, my ankles don't extend halfway to my toes, like these boots do. So what in these boots keeps you from walking out of them everytime you take a step? What keeps them from falling off your feet when you're sitting on the rail? Is this an issue or are the pictures deceiving? I have skinny ankles, too.

I have a pair of aigle gtx racer, top boot from aigle, and as far as fitting and soles grip, and comfort and lightness they are really great. I did not yet test them in tough conditions so I cannot say if and how they perform in heavy cold weather but probably good.

In any case velcro on ankle and closing make them feel like a glove.

(should I sail southern oceans I would stick to my chameau)

ciao

Why is the trend now to drop the built in gaiters and hope that other features keep the boot dry. Musto has the HPX boots with built in gaiters but is there any other choice if you want to keep dry. The bow is not too dry place to work, thus the equipment should be perfect.

Why is the trend now to drop the built in gaiters and hope that other features keep the boot dry. Musto has the HPX boots with built in gaiters but is there any other choice if you want to keep dry. The bow is not too dry place to work, thus the equipment should be perfect.

I agree, I have just been through the whole finding a new pair of boots exercise and there isn't much out there with the built in gaiter. I didn't really want to go for the gill/henri lloyd gaiters as I could picture myself going on watch in the middle of the night getting pissed off and fumbling away trying to find that missing gaiter.

The trend also seems to be going to the medium/short length boot, which is fine if you are wearing them inshore as you have more movement, but offshore when dry feet at 3am makes a hell of a difference, the full height boots seem to offer more protection and warmth. Its only really the full height boots that offer a gaiter like the Musto or Dubarry's. I ended up with the Chameau's as I only really wear boots offshore anyway, I have been happy with them so far and they do dry out a lot quicker than leather boots.

It's been a couple of decades since I was a bowman and needed gaiters, but I think if you take off your boots and FW pants at one go, and leave them assembled, fireman style, with the pants over the boots, you won't ever be fumbling for your gaiters.

That said, I think the boots with built-in gaiters would have been a godsend on some of those midwatch sail changes when you came below completely soaked in spite of full FW gear.

There have only been a couple of comments on the Sperry Fathom boots in this thread. Are there any other opinions. They are half the price of the Dubarrys, and my local dealer said that during the last round the world race, a bunch of the crew traded in their Dubarrys for Sperrys because the Dubarrys leaked!

I need to send my letter to Santa now, so he gets it in time for Christmas.

Check out this thread http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=75793

There are many and varied first hand experiences with boots on this thread.

I now have my DuBarry's back and repaired, and I also have a pair of Gill with the vibram soles.

All good gear.

Cheers,

Jim B)

I dont understand why people are still wearing boots. They are way expensive, typically have shitty grip, and are a pain in the ass to take off.

I never thought gore-tex socks would cut it, but after purchasing a pair last spring, im totally sold. If its really cold...like sleet coming down, I wear cycling socks with a pair of woolies and then my goretex socks, and I am more comfortable, warmer, and maneuverable than any other cold weather boot out there. If its just wet and kinda cold, its cycling socks and the goretex socks. At $40 bucks for a pair of goretex socks, they are more than worth the one time cost of trying them out. If you try them, hate them, and want your boots, PM me and Ill buy them back from you.

Seriously stop wasting your money on those fucking ridiculous boots....just get the socks.

I dont understand why people are still wearing boots. They are way expensive, typically have shitty grip, and are a pain in the ass to take off.

I never thought gore-tex socks would cut it, but after purchasing a pair last spring, im totally sold. If its really cold...like sleet coming down, I wear cycling socks with a pair of woolies and then my goretex socks, and I am more comfortable, warmer, and maneuverable than any other cold weather boot out there. If its just wet and kinda cold, its cycling socks and the goretex socks. At $40 bucks for a pair of goretex socks, they are more than worth the one time cost of trying them out. If you try them, hate them, and want your boots, PM me and Ill buy them back from you.

Seriously stop wasting your money on those fucking ridiculous boots....just get the socks.

right, pass that little tip onto the volvo and vendee boys and see how long it takes for them to stop laughing

No.

And if your boots are "a pain" to get off then they're too small.

There have only been a couple of comments on the Sperry Fathom boots in this thread. Are there any other opinions. They are half the price of the Dubarrys, and my local dealer said that during the last round the world race, a bunch of the crew traded in their Dubarrys for Sperrys because the Dubarrys leaked!

I need to send my letter to Santa now, so he gets it in time for Christmas.

if your feet aren't to big Jeantex boots seem a pretty good deal compared the Dubarry's, Musto, HL etc..

I was going through the motions of looking into boots, and was pretty much resigned to forking out 300 to 400 bucks when I saw Spreaderboots post about the Chota paddling mukluks. I took his advice for two reasons. One is that he's a bowman in the PNW, and no offense guys, but if you're in the cockpit, I don't care how good you think a particular boot is. Two is that they're a little over a hundred bucks. For that alone they're worth a shot. They are just as advertised. Basically knee high dive boots with a pretty decent hard sole. Had 'em out for Smith Island two weeks ago in the cold nasty stuff (37 degrees F and sideways hail) and they were far superior to anything else I've had on my feet to date. Last pair of boots were the Sperry's, before that were the standard West Marine tall boot. I can't compare them to the Dubarry's or the Musto's, but there are two things that make these boots work well. One is that they're tall. You can move around in them a bunch without the cuffs of your foulies riding up too high to keep the water out, which is my beef with the Sperry's. Two is they're completely no-shit waterproof. A couple of near auto-tacks while sitting on the rail and winding up knee deep in water made a believer out of me. Only knock is that they're not as warm as the insulated leather boots are (when dry that is). With good wool socks, though, they are just fine.

Thanks Spreaderboots!

Went to their website, im very interested in the breathable model...very interested

I was going through the motions of looking into boots, and was pretty much resigned to forking out 300 to 400 bucks when I saw Spreaderboots post about the Chota paddling mukluks. I took his advice for two reasons. One is that he's a bowman in the PNW, and no offense guys, but if you're in the cockpit, I don't care how good you think a particular boot is. Two is that they're a little over a hundred bucks. For that alone they're worth a shot. They are just as advertised. Basically knee high dive boots with a pretty decent hard sole. Had 'em out for Smith Island two weeks ago in the cold nasty stuff (37 degrees F and sideways hail) and they were far superior to anything else I've had on my feet to date. Last pair of boots were the Sperry's, before that were the standard West Marine tall boot. I can't compare them to the Dubarry's or the Musto's, but there are two things that make these boots work well. One is that they're tall. You can move around in them a bunch without the cuffs of your foulies riding up too high to keep the water out, which is my beef with the Sperry's. Two is they're completely no-shit waterproof. A couple of near auto-tacks while sitting on the rail and winding up knee deep in water made a believer out of me. Only knock is that they're not as warm as the insulated leather boots are (when dry that is). With good wool socks, though, they are just fine.

Thanks Spreaderboots!

Went to their website, im very interested in the breathable model...very interested

Dido. Seems like a hell of a deal.

Santa read my letter and sure enough, I found a pair of Sperry boots under the tree. I've been sailing a few times in the rain and with temperatures just a few degrees above freezing. My feet were dry and warm, even though I just had gym socks on underneath. I've very satisfied.

Andhy

Harry,

Im rockin the Dubarry Shamrocks for years and they are still going. My bro bought the Slams. They sucked. Leaked first time he wore them going Marblehead to Halifax. He froze his ass off. My wifes store sells the new Helly Welly..developed for the Ericsson Volvo Team. They should be in your price Range. Im going to get a new pair of boots for this season, and I will probably get these myself. Buy em at hellynewengland.com. -Paul B.

Dude, I dig the 'DoulbeHache' but seriously. If you say so?!?

flip-flops, fleece and twentyfive 12/30

Has anyone used ShoeGoo on Dubarries? I just used some to bond on my gaiters(kind of defeats the purpose when the bottoms aren't sealed). It's supposedly waterproof, seems pretty strong so far, I'm just wondering what affect the salt water will have on the stuff. Thanks.

Thanks Spreaderboots!

Dido. Seems like a hell of a deal.

They didn't make the breathables when I bought mine. Look nice, but they can't have my standard mukluks back. 9months later, and I'm still very happy with them. They've been underwater a few times along with the rest of me, and are the driest piece of gear I own. Took to wearing my wool ski socks with them, as they are just about right, warmth wise, and keep my feet from getting to sweaty. Got some heavy wool boot socks in my bag as well, just in case, but it's got to get pretty freakin' cold before I bust those out.

Huh, forgot about this thread. Might as well update.

3 years on my Shamrocks: they leak somewhere between the sole and leather.

Found this out when I was setting up the bow and was up to my knees in water.

Took the message as "time for new offshore boots"

Got the Fastnets.

These boots are warm. REALLY warm. and really comfy.

Wrap around and over toe is really nice if you're bow/general run around guy.

Full season on my Harken sneakers, once again, Shife was dead on, these kill it for around the buoys.

As a person who rarely wears boots, the main problem I find with shoes/socks is stopping the water shooting up my leg when I'm on the rail or bow (basically anywhere I'm not standing up).

Unless you've got elastic neoprene seals in the ankles of your pants, I find the usual Musto/etc velcro straps just don't seal well enough against clothing or legs.

Fortunately, I don't sail anywhere where it gets really cold, so I can cope with wet feet and soggy thermals on my lower legs..

Took a pair of foulie pants to a dive shop a while back to see if they had a drysuit bootie that could be glued onto them. Guy working the repair shop said that the diameter of the leg opening was too wide, but that if they were smaller than about 12" he'd do it.

Next pair of bibs/salopettes I buy, I'm going to see if I can get ones with a narrow leg opening, as I think bibs with latex socks that I could wear a pair of deck shoes over (ala drysuit) would be freakin' awesome.

Took a pair of foulie pants to a dive shop a while back to see if they had a drysuit bootie that could be glued onto them. Guy working the repair shop said that the diameter of the leg opening was too wide, but that if they were smaller than about 12" he'd do it.

Next pair of bibs/salopettes I buy, I'm going to see if I can get ones with a narrow leg opening, as I think bibs with latex socks that I could wear a pair of deck shoes over (ala drysuit) would be freakin' awesome.

I think you would hate your life if you wore those for more than two days, unless you filled the socks with Tinactin. For inshore it's a brilliant idea though.

henri lloyd shadow sallopettes have a rubber gusset at the bottom of the leg, they'd be perfect for your application

Aka waders. Much used by fly fishermen. e.g., from Patagucci:

patagonia_SST%20_Breathable_Waders.jpg

Which is fine until you fall overboard - it would be much, much more difficult to get back onto the boat with them full off water.

If you want to stop water getting up your legs, have you tried gaiters?

large.jpg

Which increase the chance of drowning.

People are found feet up in the air.

Its really a bad idea unless you plan on wearing your harness/pfd full time.

Even then not being fully sealed (a la drysuit) its still a bad idea.

I saw a pic of Sam wearing black boots on the Vendee site two days ago but can't see what type.

Does anyone know what boots Sam wore?

Sam's oilskins are Musto; AFAICS her boots look to be Musto as well.

Which increase the chance of drowning.

People are found feet up in the air.

Its really a bad idea unless you plan on wearing your harness/pfd full time.

Even then not being fully sealed (a la drysuit) its still a bad idea.

I have a knife...

If you want to stop water getting up your legs, have you tried gaiters?

Nope. They work okay? They don't look like much of an improvement to me, but , again, I've not used them.

Used my new HellyWelly's yesterday. Turned out to be light air day, but still on the cool side. Feet nice and comfy. Need to wait for full on wind day to really test 'em out.

151983_l.jpg

anyone out there know if the Henri Lloyd gaiters work well?

Anyone know where to get them in North America (or, more specifically Canada)?

For my next pair of boots I'm thinking of getting some insulated rubber hunting boots, and if I can find some gaiters to go with them, they'd be just about as good as Le Chameaus and only $100-150... Only problem is that the soles might be dark.

For my next pair of boots I'm thinking of getting some insulated rubber hunting boots, and if I can find some gaiters to go with them, they'd be just about as good as Le Chameaus and only $100-150... Only problem is that the soles might be dark.

I tried to get HL gaiters in Canada. They don't sell them here apparently. If you call HL NA, they might be able to hook you up. I just had a friend buy some in the UK and ship them.

I tried to get HL gaiters in Canada. They don't sell them here apparently. If you call HL NA, they might be able to hook you up. I just had a friend buy some in the UK and ship them.

That's what I suspected. Haven't had much luck in my dealings with the folks at HL NA, so looks like I'll be talking to my sister in the UK.

Got the Fastnets.

These boots are warm. REALLY warm. and really comfy.

these ones ?

Just got back from London. Happened upon a shop (at the end of the foot bridge by the London Eye) that had EVERY style and (seemingly) size of Dubarry boot and shoe, and well as many more sailing boots and shoes. So nice to get to see and try on what you want. No dealers for Dubarry in Nova Scotia now. Have to mail order. Bummer.

The Fastnets were quite comfortable in the shop, better than the 'regular' Dubarry's, imho.

Gaiters are available from any decent winter sport equipment store - and most likely at half the price

Yes, winter "snow" gaiters with inelastic bottoms, metal shoelace hooks and instep straps to go around the sole of the boot are available lots of places, but would they work with water on rubber sea boots?

I'm not sure there'd be enough of a seal at the bottom to keep the water out, and you'd have to cut the strap off.

that is why i was asking if the HL gaitors worked, because they are the only ones i have seen for regular sailing boots besides the Le Chameau Neptune ones with built in gaitors that the Volvo guys use

Gaiters are available from any decent winter sport equipment store - and most likely at half the price

Besides the above mentioned problems, most winter gaiters are not membrane based water-proof breathable. In salt water they start a processes similar to reverse osmosis, and wick water in.

You can drink this water, but it doesn't keep you very dry.

Yes, winter "snow" gaiters with inelastic bottoms, metal shoelace hooks and instep straps to go around the sole of the boot are available lots of places, but would they work with water on rubber sea boots?

I'm not sure there'd be enough of a seal at the bottom to keep the water out, and you'd have to cut the strap off.

You can get them with elastic neoprene cuffs at the bottom - and drains - remember that you need to drain the bottom of the gaiters or they will fill up with water and gurantee you wet feet...........

Plenty available without hooks and straps (even though the straps would take about 2 seconds to remove)

You don't need gaiters to be membrane based - it is the least of your worries when gaiters are needed - but I am sure there are goretex versions available.

Or buy the marine version and pay 2-3 times as much.................what do i care

i use the Musto offshore boots - with the gaiters built in - works very nicely

You can get them with elastic neoprene cuffs at the bottom - and drains - remember that you need to drain the bottom of the gaiters or they will fill up with water and gurantee you wet feet...........

Plenty available without hooks and straps (even though the straps would take about 2 seconds to remove)

You don't need gaiters to be membrane based - it is the least of your worries when gaiters are needed - but I am sure there are goretex versions available.

Or buy the marine version and pay 2-3 times as much.................what do i care

... and they cost about $400.

Do you have any examples of these elastic neoprene cuffed gaiters without hooks and straps? I haven't seen anything like that in our stores in Canada.

... and they cost about $400.

Do you have any examples of these elastic neoprene cuffed gaiters without hooks and straps? I haven't seen anything like that in our stores in Canada.

Contact Dubarry North America and they can hook you up with some of theirs. I got some through them, but I honestly can't remember the price anymore since it was so long ago.

My Dubarry Fastnets are the BEST things I've worn on an offshore race.. without doubt.. Spent too many hours freezing my pinkies off in those rubbery cheap versions and now appreciate what all the fuss has been about. Worth every cent

Based upon reviews I've found, I'm trying the Chota Lace Mukluks. Price it right at around $115.00

$350 for boots I'd see at three events (Bermuda, Mac, night races) a year is a waste, and, I rather have something out of the ordinary anyway. Dubarry's have become more fashion than form around these parts.

I post back with thoughts upon receipt.

Based upon reviews I've found, I'm trying the Chota Lace Mukluks. Price it right at around $115.00

$350 for boots I'd see at three events (Bermuda, Mac, night races) a year is a waste, and, I rather have something out of the ordinary anyway. Dubarry's have become more fashion than form around these parts.

I'd agree mostly, after 10+ years on the great lakes I never owned a pair of boots except for some cheap rubber ones ($20). After sailing on the west coast now in some longer, wet, rough races, I finally bought a pair of the dubarry's. So far so good, I think the gaiter is an important point which I don't have but would help and is on my list for next time. Also, the taller fastnets are what I would I choose from now on, I have the newports right now which are fine but on the bow you want all the protection you can get.

The boots help me discover that my foulies now leak after 10 years so had to replace those. So in the end the boots cost way more than expected...

I'd agree mostly, after 10+ years on the great lakes I never owned a pair of boots except for some cheap rubber ones ($20). After sailing on the west coast now in some longer, wet, rough races, I finally bought a pair of the dubarry's. So far so good, I think the gaiter is an important point which I don't have but would help and is on my list for next time. Also, the taller fastnets are what I would I choose from now on, I have the newports right now which are fine but on the bow you want all the protection you can get.

The boots help me discover that my foulies now leak after 10 years so had to replace those. So in the end the boots cost way more than expected...

I think you will enjoy having gaiters.

Tried on a pair of Dubarry Ultimas. I can see what you guys mean about narrow...do they break in at all?

I had my Dubarrys stretched by a cobbler and it worked some.

About 6 years ago, I found (and bought) a pair of gaiters from HL, with elastic at the bottom, a mesh drain, and weaker elastic at the top, made of WP nylon. Non-breatheable. $40. Only purpose is to keep water from going up the legs of FW pants.

Purchased for Bermuda Race, which proved a light-air affair. Never used.

When looking to purchase a set of gaiters you might think about the brands that offer a 'breathable' material.

Much more comfortable and suitable for offshore work.

Chota Mukluks arrived. They're very well made. Seemingly perfect for cold, wet ocean exposure.

I'll post back if there's anything negative post Bermuda, but they seem to be a great boot choice. ! Very comfortable, great fit, good hight, tough quality.

And, River Mouse Kayaks was a great supplier.

You wont' be sorry. super comfortable, warm, and DRY. Oh, the grip is superb too. I can't believe I didn't get these things sooner.

Chota Mukluks arrived. They're very well made. Seemingly perfect for cold, wet ocean exposure.

I'll post back if there's anything negative post Bermuda, but they seem to be a great boot choice. ! Very comfortable, great fit, good hight, tough quality.

Do you think they are suitable for offshore work?

I do - but since I've only voyaged from the couch to the fridge, and back (several round trips though) I can't say I've field tested yet.

There's a two day regatta this weekend on the lake. 12 to 18 predicted tomorrow with 52 deg water. I'll post some thoughts back.

Well. I gotta say they're very comfotable. Pretty good grip, much better than expected even. But - it wasn't nearly cold enough. Turned out to be a gorgeous day on the water - mid 70's, 14 to 19 kts, puffs to 23. Flat water (west wind).

My feet were hotter than fish-taco at a clam bake.

For the right conditions (cold, bumpy, wet, shitty), I think they'ed be a excellent pair of warm, dry boots.

Well. I gotta say they're very comfotable. Pretty good grip, much better than expected even. But - it wasn't nearly cold enough. Turned out to be a gorgeous day on the water - mid 70's, 14 to 19 kts, puffs to 23. Flat water (west wind).

For the right conditions (cold, bumpy, wet, shitty), I think they'ed be a excellent pair of warm, dry boots.

That's good to hear. I need a new set, but the problem with those is that they only come in one color.

Do you think they are suitable for offshore work?

yes.

Would that mean that they don't breathe terribly well?

They don't breathe all that well - but in defence, I had on some pretty thick socks since I was expecting much colder conditions. Lesson learned.

I cannot imagine any boot doing well with winter socks on an 80 degree day stuffed inside foul-weather pants.

They don't breathe all that well - but in defence, I had on some pretty thick socks since I was expecting much colder conditions. Lesson learned.

I cannot imagine any boot doing well with winter socks on an 80 degree day stuffed inside foul-weather pants.

No, they don't breath that well. Gotta put the right sock on when its warm out. In the cold, they're great.

Little baby powder helps too. I'll fold down the tops of mine if they start getting warm (when I should be wearing deck shoes). With the Mukluks, you don't need gaitors. That's the trade off. They're a very warm boot, but don't wear them in 65+ degree weather.

No, they don't breath that well. Gotta put the right sock on when its warm out. In the cold, they're great.

Little baby powder helps too. I'll fold down the tops of mine if they start getting warm (when I should be wearing deck shoes). With the Mukluks, you don't need gaitors. That's the trade off. They're a very warm boot, but don't wear them in 65+ degree weather.

Where did you get your gaiters from and much did you pay for them? Are you happy with the gaiters that you bought?

I need a new pair and don't like what I see on the market.

I think your post was for someone else, the mukluks are so tall its virtually imposible to get water in them unless you're standing in 2' of water for an extended period of time. They come up just below the knee and have a neoprene seal at the top.

I bet they were hot! I raced in sandals both days.

Never had a problem with my Dubs being too hot...

justnotsaying...

i've seen way too many ponces in Dubes on a hot day, judging... (ok it was just one, but now I just avert my eyes)

best shoe on the blue marble is HH, either shorehike (the old design was better) or hellywelly. or maybe an old pair of aigles, just cut out the sides for a stylish sandal in hot weather.

Keeps the chickas away too.

Never had a problem with my Dubs being too hot...

justnotsaying...

i've seen way too many ponces in Dubes on a hot day, judging... (ok it was just one, but now I just avert my eyes)

best shoe on the blue marble is HH, either shorehike (the old design was better) or hellywelly. or maybe an old pair of aigles, just cut out the sides for a stylish sandal in hot weather.

Keeps the chickas away too.

I'm pretty happy looking at the shorts/boots combo.

283836_10150744261895564_319409_n.jpg

Do we know any good on line or Aus shopping for ocean boots - my Shamrocks have done 20 000+ (last 12 on me) & I'm thinking of going the same again - I don't think I'll be doing any more cat 1 races so I'll get gaitors separate

Tried on a whole load this weekend - HL's the ankles were so big it was like wearing backless & my foot slipped out as I walked - ended up with DB Newports - apparently DB's fit the girls well.

That or you have man feet :P:ph34r:

Tried on a whole load this weekend - HL's the ankles were so big it was like wearing backless & my foot slipped out as I walked - ended up with DB Newports - apparently DB's fit the girls well.

That or you have man feet :P:ph34r:

Thanks for that!

Well after wearing with new foulie pants, I realized that the left boot did in fact leak! In just rain, a long day of rain, but still on rain the left boot got soaking inside. So West Marine took them back and gave me a credit for the purchase price.

Question is: Should I get the Dubarry Newports again or go for the Ultimas? Anybody have experience with both?

I've had my Chota Mukluks for over four years now. Last weekend I discovered that they still do not leak when submerged. In case anyone's interested.

Well after wearing with new foulie pants, I realized that the left boot did in fact leak! In just rain, a long day of rain, but still on rain the left boot got soaking inside. So West Marine took them back and gave me a credit for the purchase price.

Question is: Should I get the Dubarry Newports again or go for the Ultimas? Anybody have experience with both?

The answer depends on the type of sailing sunglasses you prefer.

I've used and loved Dubarry Ultima's for years but found I was doing more offshore racing so sold my Dubary's on and bought some Henri Lloyd Extreme Waterproof Boots

They are the warmest things I have even worn on my feet, so much that i've not even had much use of them during our Scottish 'summer' due to them being far to hot. If your looking for a warm and dry boot I can highly recomend these.