Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brian Weslake

No Man Love!

The Kiwis sailed an impressive race yesterday, they sat and waited for BB to get too cocky and then put the boot in.

Dalton has done an excellent job of toughening this team up so they can bounce back from a loss and take a win without showing emotion. I liked the call from Dalton to the crew just before they crossed the finish line yesterday - "no man love!" no hugs, no high fives, not even a smile. It certainly presents a daunting front to an opposing team - no emotion, no sign of weakness. Very good sports psychology.

Contrast that to Butterworth, smiling and joking while he is winning, followed by a tactical error probably encouraged by overconfidence, and a lot of frustration when things weren't going his way. Hero to zero in one race.

The Kiwis sailed an impressive race yesterday, they sat and waited for BB to get too cocky and then put the boot in.

Dalton has done an excellent job of toughening this team up so they can bounce back from a loss and take a win without showing emotion. I liked the call from Dalton to the crew just before they crossed the finish line yesterday - "no man love!" no hugs, no high fives, not even a smile. It certainly presents a daunting front to an opposing team - no emotion, no sign of weakness. Very good sports psychology.

Contrast that to Butterworth, smiling and joking while he is winning, followed by a tactical error probably encouraged by overconfidence, and a lot of frustration when things weren't going his way. Hero to zero in one race.

I don't get where you are coming from-if you can't have a smile and a handshake when you win a race what's the point in doing it?

I don't get where you are coming from-if you can't have a smile and a handshake when you win a race what's the point in doing it?

The point is that it is just one race in a long series. They arent in Valencia to win a few races, they are there to win the AC.

The point is that it is just one race in a long series. They arent in Valencia to win a few races, they are there to win the AC.

Yes and no. Did you see the photos of their raucous celebration after the LV Cup? Must admit, I was a bit surprised - seemed somewhat out of character considering their ultimate goal. In hockey most semi winners politely pose with the conference championship cup and then leave it on the ice untouched because the Stanley Cup is the one they want to skate with. Having said that, I think the team is in a different zone now and today's un-celebration is a good sign of their resolve. ;) Great job in R2.

Dalton knows that they are not there to win a race, they are there to win the series. From the sports psychology side of things, its important never to look rattled, and part of that is encouraging a "hard man" persona for the whole team. It's what rugby teams try to do in an effort to dominate their opponents psychologically, and I guess its the whole point of the Haka as well.

The ETNZ team looks fit and tough, and so does Alinghi, with the exception of Butterworth last night, who looked soft and vulnerable.

Dalton knows that they are not there to win a race, they are there to win the series. From the sports psychology side of things, its important never to look rattled, and part of that is encouraging a "hard man" persona for the whole team. It's what rugby teams try to do in an effort to dominate their opponents psychologically, and I guess its the whole point of the Haka as well.

The ETNZ team looks fit and tough, and so does Alinghi, with the exception of Butterworth last night, who looked soft and vulnerable.

I understood when Blakey said just a handshake but no hugging and kissing, but this 'lets show em how hard we are' with no smiling or hand shake is just taking any joy or emotion from winning a race.

This regatta is going to go to the wire.

The mental strain is going to build to an extraordinary level.

Dalt's is spot on. Focus. Win or lose a race, it is done. The 5th and final step is not the individual races, it is beating Alinghi 5 times and winning the AC.

They have completed 20% of the task.

When TNZ completes 100%.

Then you will see emotion.

This regatta is going to go to the wire.

The mental strain is going to build to an extraordinary level.

Dalt's is spot on. Focus. Win or lose a race, it is done. The 5th and final step is not the individual races, it is beating Alinghi 5 times and winning the AC.

They have completed 20% of the task.

When TNZ completes 100%.

Then you will see emotion.

Mate, that is the understatement of the year!! IF they win the country will be drunk for weeks!!

Mate, that is the understatement of the year!! IF they win the country will be drunk for weeks!!

When ETNZ win, the entire ANZUS pact will blow the roof off: this 32nd AC has become the ANZUS Pact versus Europe...

The "no man love" goes back to 95...so its nothing new.

Only worry is if Dalts was keeping everyones emotions intact, because they fianlly beat Alinghi in a meanigful race.

In other words, it just as easy to interperate this comment to a team that is .....concerned! (we saw it with the losers in the semis)

I understood when Blakey said just a handshake but no hugging and kissing, but this 'lets show em how hard we are' with no smiling or hand shake is just taking any joy or emotion from winning a race.

sounds right, they're only shipmatin' after all, not sheepmatin'

I agree with Dalton, anyone who understands the physci of it will know that he wanted to send a clear message to the competition. "We aren't happy with winning one race, it's nothing, we're here to win the Cup.!"

Jumping up and down after leveling 1-1 would have signalled, wow we won a race, aren't we surprised..? This is about upsetting Ernesto , causing some panic and maybe, just maybe they have accomplished this now...

I agree with Dalton, anyone who understands the physci of it will know that he wanted to send a clear message to the competition. "We aren't happy with winning one race, it's nothing, we're here to win the Cup.!"

Jumping up and down after leveling 1-1 would have signalled, wow we won a race, aren't we surprised..? This is about upsetting Ernesto , causing some panic and maybe, just maybe they have accomplished this now...

It's called the Desafio Moment

B)

It's called the Desafio Moment

B)

LOL, very funny..! yes it was like they'd all won the Lottery. The message Desafio sent was ""We just won a race and we don't know how and couldn't possibly do it again""

post-13013-1182919395_thumb.jpg

Manlove is the difference. Here we see Brad Butternuts sniffing his fingers after removing them from tickling Ernies prostate, apparently part of his role as skipper. He has to do this every time he gets a call wrong. No amount of soap is going to remove the stink, even after just two losses / giveaways.

post-13013-1182919395_thumb.jpg

Manlove is the difference. Here we see Brad Butternuts sniffing his fingers after removing them from tickling Ernies prostate, apparently part of his role as skipper. He has to do this every time he gets a call wrong. No amount of soap is going to remove the stink, even after just two losses / giveaways.

Why is he sniffing them then? Does he like it?