Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brian Weslake

More whining from Wheatley

From Magnus Wheatley's lamentable blog -

There's a growing movement in world sailing amongst the actual sailors regarding the future of the AC and it's called the ABBA effect - 'Anyone But Bloody Alinghi'

If the rumours are true that Bertarelli has trousered $50 million and wants $85 million for the next Cup then this is a dire situation. Ignore the puffery and sheen as this competition comes to a close, this has been a terrible, ill thought-out regatta with hapless incumbents who have royally screwed the competition and bled it dry.

There's no thoughts of the sporting contest nor of how to improve the competition on the water and make it interesting to reach a global audience. Valencia is the wrong place to hold this event, no question. We need wind and waves to produce a spectacle and we also need faster boats with no wind limits. The average, casual observer needs to turn on and be enthralled. Looking at this Saturday's race it was too often a slow boring drag race where a couple of tiny wind-shifts dictated the result. My wife walked out after ten minutes, the rest of the pub emptied after the second upwind leg. That's a travesty.

It's so blindingly obvious what needs to happen. It's not rocket-science, it's yachting. I just wish ACM would get its grubby little mitts out of the cash till and out of the politician's favour and do something that would benefit the sport on a global basis. They say this is the fourth biggest event on the planet - I think that's baloney. Wimbledon, The Masters and Rugby get more coverage and SKY sports are now promoting Fishing ahead of the AC and this decline will just continue.

Would you want to sponsor an event where the challengers get about three weeks of coverage and then nothing? Where the TV coverage is so bad, it's laughable. Where the internet has been ignored. Where senior journalists are shunned as second-class citizens. Where the audience is so mis-informed it's a crime. Where the Defenders are blatantly lining their pockets and where the political machinations are so obvious it's cringeing to watch?

So is all the bitterness spouted by Wheatley merely the result of some slight by ACM against "senior journalists" such as himself?

Maybe seniority is not sufficient, maybe quality is required as well.

He's behaved like knob through the whole regatta and isn't about to change his psots now.

This was one of guys calling for Dean Barker to be swapped out for Ben Ainslie at the beginning of the event.

He makes the occasionaly good point, as in the article above, but instead of offering an alternativeopinion he just rants. He's a nutter and should be ignored.

From Magnus Wheatley's lamentable blog -

There's a growing movement in world sailing amongst the actual sailors regarding the future of the AC and it's called the ABBA effect - 'Anyone But Bloody Alinghi'

If the rumours are true that Bertarelli has trousered $50 million and wants $85 million for the next Cup then this is a dire situation. Ignore the puffery and sheen as this competition comes to a close, this has been a terrible, ill thought-out regatta with hapless incumbents who have royally screwed the competition and bled it dry.

There's no thoughts of the sporting contest nor of how to improve the competition on the water and make it interesting to reach a global audience. Valencia is the wrong place to hold this event, no question. We need wind and waves to produce a spectacle and we also need faster boats with no wind limits. The average, casual observer needs to turn on and be enthralled. Looking at this Saturday's race it was too often a slow boring drag race where a couple of tiny wind-shifts dictated the result. My wife walked out after ten minutes, the rest of the pub emptied after the second upwind leg. That's a travesty.

It's so blindingly obvious what needs to happen. It's not rocket-science, it's yachting. I just wish ACM would get its grubby little mitts out of the cash till and out of the politician's favour and do something that would benefit the sport on a global basis. They say this is the fourth biggest event on the planet - I think that's baloney. Wimbledon, The Masters and Rugby get more coverage and SKY sports are now promoting Fishing ahead of the AC and this decline will just continue.

Would you want to sponsor an event where the challengers get about three weeks of coverage and then nothing? Where the TV coverage is so bad, it's laughable. Where the internet has been ignored. Where senior journalists are shunned as second-class citizens. Where the audience is so mis-informed it's a crime. Where the Defenders are blatantly lining their pockets and where the political machinations are so obvious it's cringeing to watch?

So is all the bitterness spouted by Wheatley merely the result of some slight by ACM against "senior journalists" such as himself?

Neither ourselves, nor our Spanish correspondence have EVER been shunned by anyone at ACM. I have direct line numbers to many running the media centre and they are always there and very helpful.

The press facilities are absolutely superb, from the cost price food in the canteen to the speed of the internet connection. As you enter the media centre, there is a desk in front of you, with about ten people, who are all multi-lingual and are there for one reason only; to help the press in every way they can.

This picture ws taken the day after some other bloggist wrote that Alinghi sailors would not talk to the press until after the Cup was over. It says it all.

post-9187-1183375576_thumb.jpg

Magnus "Scoop" Wheatley is a "Senior" journalist??? I don't think he's even in Valencia. If you want to read three blog's that are well written, and insightful check out the below three links:

http://sailmagazine.blogspot.com/index.html

http://sailjuice.blogspot.com/

http://www.markchisnell.com/

I go to rule69 for my "soap opera" dirt, but I go to these three blogs when I want to read well written, thought out, opinions.

*Plus I also get BYM News updates emailed to me everyday :)

WetHog :ph34r:

Magnus "Scoop" Wheatley is a "Senior" journalist??? I don't think he's even in Valencia. If you want to read three blog's that are well written, and insightful check out the below three links:

http://sailmagazine.blogspot.com/index.html

http://sailjuice.blogspot.com/

http://www.markchisnell.com/

I go to rule69 for my "soap opera" dirt, but I go to these three blogs when I want to read well written, thought out, opinions.

*Plus I also get BYM News updates emailed to me everyday :)

Well all I can say is F.O W C.W.C.M.B.O, Roughly tyrantsanlataed means. Fuck Off Wheatley Cos We Can Manage By Ourselves.

Wheatley is a very junior journalist in AC circles. Even more junior than my own poor self. Forget him. He writes shit for the masses. Are you a mass????

Neither ourselves, nor our Spanish correspondence have EVER been shunned by anyone at ACM. I have direct line numbers to many running the media centre and they are always there and very helpful.

The press facilities are absolutely superb, from the cost price food in the canteen to the speed of the internet connection. As you enter the media centre, there is a desk in front of you, with about ten people, who are all multi-lingual and are there for one reason only; to help the press in every way they can.

This picture ws taken the day after some other bloggist wrote that Alinghi sailors would not talk to the press until after the Cup was over. It says it all.

I have a phone list of calls (Recorded) that says otherwise. Don't stick your neck on the block. I beg you. You'll look silly after all this bullshit is over.

"hapless incumbents who have royally screwed the competition"

Now THIS does sound like returning to the NYYC tradition...

CRS

Are you a mass????

Well gravity keeps me on the ground so I suppose I am "a mass" of something ;) I'll state it again for those with short attention spans:

I go to rule69 for my "soap opera" rumors and dirt. And to also see how the "Scoop" has changed his story after one of his many predictions has not come true. :lol: Shoot Gus I'll go to YOU for insightful, true, comments on this AC before I'll go to rule69 looking for the truth ;)

Well gravity keeps me on the ground so I suppose I am "a mass" of something ;) I'll state it again for those with short attention spans:

I go to rule69 for my "soap opera" rumors and dirt. And to also see how the "Scoop" has changed his story after one of his many predictions has not come true. :lol: Shoot Gus I'll go to YOU for insightful, true, comments on this AC before I'll go to rule69 looking for the truth ;)

When the whole shebang is over I may just put the conversations on line in MP3 form. Remember that these (if they appear) were nothing to do with my time on SA, I`ll explain the whole caboodle if I ever post them. But they are pretty embarrasing to some.

From Marian...As you enter the media centre, there is a desk in front of you, with about ten people, who are all multi-lingual and are there for one reason only; to help the press in every way they can.

There is actually a desk with two people who are normally doing other things and are not there.

I have their names and phone numbers in my book. L & I are the initials I think. Don't you, Marian?.

From his latest "effort"...

But we might just see them on their 'A' game tomorrow to put this dire competition to rest and let the sailing world pick up the pieces of another missed global opportunity. Will there be changes? Probably not, but if Hodara and Bonnefous are still in place in three weeks time, sailing as a sport will be all the poorer...how about offering those two a place on the ISAF board - sailing would be out of the Olympics by 2012 for sure...

Conveniently ignores the fact that the IOC have already decided what sports they're going to have for the 2012 games - and made the decision nearly 2 years ago. And sailing is included. You would think that a "serious" journo would know things like that.

From his latest "effort"...

Conveniently ignores the fact that the IOC have already decided what sports they're going to have for the 2012 games. And sailing is included. You would think that a "serious" journo would know things like that.

You beat me to it Ed. Here is the entire, fabulous, new post by the "Scoop".

A Bang or a Whimper...? 2 July 2007

So what's it to be tomorrow? Will TNZ roll over and die in the fading Valencian sunlight or will it be big, controversial, determined and attack-minded? I just pray that it's the latter and that we go to 4-3. To be honest I'm disappointed to see the Kiwis where they are becuase they really shouldn't be at match-point down. If anything the scoreline should be reversed and it should be Alinghi on the comeback trail.

It's a strange situation. Alinghi came in with a lot of pundits claiming a whitewash but they just haven't really performed. They look vulnerable and don't look as though they've hit their top stride or got anywhere near fifth gear. I doubt that would be the case if they had Coutts onboard but they do look a bit out of sorts and heavily reliant on luck. Will it run out? There's every chance.

But we might just see them on their 'A' game tomorrow to put this dire competition to rest and let the sailing world pick up the pieces of another missed global opportunity. Will there be changes? Probably not, but if Hodara and Bonnefous are still in place in three weeks time, sailing as a sport will be all the poorer...how about offering those two a place on the ISAF board - sailing would be out of the Olympics by 2012 for sure...

Man he really doesn't respect Alinghi, and sure doesn't like ACM. I wonder if he'll fold up his tent if Alinghi wins? Gee I hope not :rolleyes:

What would the picture have looked like if taken the day before?

What would the picture have looked like if taken the day before?

They've done this every night, with several getting interviewed. After it, on that night, our guy was able to have a one-on-one with Vila.