Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveK

Bamboo Tiller Extension

I need a better tiller extension for the Contender and it's a little over 6' long. So, I'm looking at all of the options and I'm definitely not gonna buy carbon. Too expensive, I'll break it and impale myself. A friend recommended Bamboo and I went and cut a few sticks this weekend. The interweb told me how to cure it with a propane torch and that seems to work quite well.

But really......Am I nuts for trying this?

DaveK

I need a better tiller extension for the Contender and it's a little over 6' long. So, I'm looking at all of the options and I'm definitely not gonna buy carbon. Too expensive, I'll break it and impale myself. A friend recommended Bamboo and I went and cut a few sticks this weekend. The interweb told me how to cure it with a propane torch and that seems to work quite well.

But really......Am I nuts for trying this?

DaveK

A buddy once used a piece of PVC piping for his A Class Cat tiller extension, around 8' long. It was flexy enough that he could bend it when he got it stuck in odd places. If I had that, I wouldn't have bends in my aluminum tiller extension.

yeah other poeple here have spoken about the bamboo tiller extension so you're not mental.

I'm definitely not gonna buy carbon. Too expensive,

bamboo has a lot of history as tiller extension, but if you go down to the local fishing shop you'll find they sell all carbon and part carbon tube at very reasonable prices, calling it fishing rod or landing net handles or carp poles...

3/4" pvc pipe works fine for me.

I cant think of a reason not to use bamboo though.

Kite(like "go fly a kite" kites) framing poles work really well too - if you fall off the trap they bend, and are stiffer than bamboo. Not sure if the bamboo develops a lot of lee helm but that's an issue on the 14's so you need some stiffness.

Alum tubing is cheap too - add some electrical tape and make your own extension.

bamboo works. i have heared that you should wrap it in tape to help it from braking... and when it dose break to keep the shards from impailing you.

i use an aluminum extension for my ic. (8ft long extension) and it works fine. bends and never brakes. not to heavy.

cheers

fdh

Thanks for the ideas! I check on those carbon tubes and look for thin wall alum. But, USA7.... pvc has got to either be to heavy or too flexible.. I would guess. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyways.... I'm curing the stick right now with the torch. It's kinda fun and here's a pic. You can see the green part where I haven't torched it yet. I think I'm gonna try this.

Oh.... Sorry my shop is a mess.... get over it. :P

Thanks again!

Dave

post-7248-1186430444_thumb.jpg

I think bamboo works good and don't mind the skiffies telling you that you'll have a problem with lee helm. Since you don't have a big farking kite out off the bow, lee helm will not be bad. PVC/CPVC work OK though. I know a Swiftie that is using CPVC and it seems to work for him. I think there was mention in a thread where a 49er was looking for a cheep option that someone stated that there are some 18's and 49ers in OZ that are/have used bamboo.

I use the aluminum battle sticks on my boat but I let go quickly if I go over the side. I've found it is almost better to let the tiller go and pull myself back to the boat with the main sheet that I try to keep velcro'ed to my harness. Especially in a teabag.

Thanks for the ideas! I check on those carbon tubes and look for thin wall alum. But, USA7.... pvc has got to either be to heavy or too flexible.. I would guess. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyways.... I'm curing the stick right now with the torch. It's kinda fun and here's a pic. You can see the green part where I haven't torched it yet. I think I'm gonna try this.

Thanks again!

Dave

What a gorgeous shop!!!

Treat the bamboo properly or loose some serious chi.

The broken end of a bamboo will do as much damage as carbon when it punctures your skin.

watch out for pandas!! :huh:

but seriously, its a good idea

ive seen guys use pvc pipe, branches, everything under the sun for temp tiller extensions

but it sounds like a good project

What a gorgeous shop!!!

Treat the bamboo properly or loose some serious chi.

The broken end of a bamboo will do as much damage as carbon when it punctures your skin.

According to the interweb…. By using a torch, it removes the water and draws the resins out. After doing a couple sections, you wipe the resin with a clean cloth which leaves a nice waterproof varnish like finish. So I should have the Chi thing going for me and it would take over a year to get to this point naturally.

I know about the splinters of bamboo. I got one up my finger nail when I cutting it down. I think it’s also a form of Chinese torture.

DaveK

Damn it Dave,

How many times do I have to tell ya to leave the neighbors shrubbery alone.... I'll make up another of my aluminium specials tonight or tomorrow and let ya try it out too.

Fishingmickey

Damn it Dave,

How many times do I have to tell ya to leave the neighbors shrubbery alone.... I'll make up another of my aluminium specials tonight or tomorrow and let ya try it out too.

Fishingmickey

Thanks Mike!

I went over to Keller Marina before sailing Saturday. I kinda felt like a thief trying to hurry and cut 3 stalks down. But I'm sure they won't miss it....... They have a lot of bamboo!

DaveK

Davek,

I agree with the above.

Only issue is lee helm, it will be heaps strong enough for weather helm and being sat on. And flexible enough to bend around what ever it gets caught on.

WHen I started out, it was all you could get for battens in your sails, which reminds me, its bloody near useless when it goes wet and soft, so you might want to seal it as well as preventing splinters.

Cheers,

Yowie

Believe it or not Dave Bamboo has very similar properties to carbon minus the price. Therefore it is a very good solution.

We use two 2,40 m Bamboo extensions on our RS800, lightweight and very, very cheap. They may snap more easily than others but to me broken carbon is way more dangerous. We tape them every 20 cm or so (between the "nodes") to prevent splitting. They should not get too dry but taping them completely will probably make them rott.

LDC asks for 60 British pounds for a RS800 carbon extension - who can afford braking that one ????

I use bamboo on my I14 for training. Works extremely well, though carbon is lighter and gives a more direct feel which I prefer for races. I had to tape the bamboo for grip as it's quite slippery.

Bamboo is fine, we've used it in the I14 before.

If you do wo with carbon, run a line along the inside, with a sleeve at the very bottom, so that if you were to break it in a race, you would still have both ends, could tape the sleeve in place, keep sailing. When you get in, you epoxy some more carbon onto the broken spot, and the tiller is good as new. (marginally heavyer).

Got it done and here's a pic for what it's worth. Not pretty but maybe functional. I like to see the little stuff that y'all do so, I'll post my little stuff that I did overnight. I also bought some carbon / kevlar sleeves today and I'll post whatever a mess I make of that. If you do the math, you could make a stick for about 1/3rd the price. In any case, I have no idea how to deal with dynamics of it but, here goes nothing with fancy stuff.

DaveK

post-7248-1186532734_thumb.jpg

Got it done and here's a pic for what it's worth. Not pretty but maybe functional. I like to see the little stuff that y'all do so, I'll post my little stuff that I did overnight. I also bought some carbon / kevlar sleeves today and I'll post whatever a mess I make of that. If you do the math, you could make a stick for about 1/3rd the price. In any case, I have no idea how to deal with dynamics of it but, here goes nothing with fancy stuff.

DaveK

post-7248-1186532734_thumb.jpg

The attachment to the u-joint looks suspect - I've found you have to use a plumbing-style hose clamp to compress the bamboo on to the u-joint. Using a drilled screw into the side of the bamboo has regularly failed for me as the bamboo is weak to sheer failure, but strong in compression. If you sail the boat like this, be prepared!

A little hose clamp, taped up after installation has worked a treat without failure.

Thanks again!

Dave

Always make sure your pipes are correctly installed before taking pics. of the finished job. :rolleyes::o

Always make sure your pipes are correctly installed before taking pics. of the finished job. :rolleyes::o

I have to assume (guess) you are referring to what appears to be 2 smoking pipes on the right side of the pic.

I'm an airbrush painter and those are airbrushes.

DaveK

The attachment to the u-joint looks suspect - I've found you have to use a plumbing-style hose clamp to compress the bamboo on to the u-joint. Using a drilled screw into the side of the bamboo has regularly failed for me as the bamboo is weak to sheer failure, but strong in compression. If you sail the boat like this, be prepared!

A little hose clamp, taped up after installation has worked a treat without failure.

I had a feeling about that and thanks for the suggestion. I wonder if I compress it too much, it'll crack with the hose clamp. What about a few wraps with glass and resin?

Thanks

DaveK

there's some yellow PVC out there that's pretty light and cheap, 1/2" interior diameter - drop a 1/2" dowel inside and it's quite stiff. made a good laser tiller extension, for low cost

I had a feeling about that and thanks for the suggestion. I wonder if I compress it too much, it'll crack with the hose clamp. What about a few wraps with glass and resin?

Thanks

DaveK

I'm sure that would work, I was lazy and did the first fix that lasted for me. Since I used a hose clamp once and it worked, I haven't changed since. The Inside Diameter of my bamboo was almost exactly the size of the Ujoint shaft, therefore I didn't create compression failure with the clamp - it just worked. Mixing epoxy and wrapping glass requires effort!

The other benefit of the hose clamp is simple, non-destructive repair and replacement.

--

Bill

I'm sure that would work, I was lazy and did the first fix that lasted for me. Since I used a hose clamp once and it worked, I haven't changed since. The Inside Diameter of my bamboo was almost exactly the size of the Ujoint shaft, therefore I didn't create compression failure with the clamp - it just worked. Mixing epoxy and wrapping glass requires effort!

The other benefit of the hose clamp is simple, non-destructive repair and replacement.

--

Bill

Thanks Neil for the pic!

Right Neil... your last statement made me decide on hose clamps. I put 'em on when I got home today. They are big and awkward looking but, I'll go with it.

Thanks

Dave

OMP,

Where do you get bamboo sticks in Ottawa?

Robert B.

sounds like a good idea, if you're REALLY feeling uneasy wrap the whole thing in duct tape, then itll at least be bomb proof if not unbreakable

OMP,

Where do you get bamboo sticks in Ottawa?

Robert B.

Home Depot, Rona should have them. Canadian Tire probably does as well.

Here's an example for you from the '06 i14 Worlds complements of Sean Trew

post-645-1186760993_thumb.jpg

Ya gota love those directional, closed cell, carbon tiller extensions. :P

Ya gota love those directional, closed cell, carbon tiller extensions. :P

I know... and that's a really nice pic. In fact, I saved that pic.

I did order some carbon, kevlar/carbon sleeves, and some other stuff last week. I've been wanting to play with that stuff so, now is a good time. I'll post pics of whatever POS it turns out to be.

DaveK

I have two Carbon/Glass tiller extentions I broke one of them first time out they weigh in at 250g each and stay on shore as spares and to lend to people.

I have been sailing using Bamboo ones for two years now and have only broken one on the shore when I capsized the boat on it. The bamboo ones are 150g each

post-16695-1186770516.jpg

I used Garden hose over the end of the UJ and the Bamboo to prevent any hard spots or splitting at the end. I found it a bit too flexable so taped a bit of sail batten over the hose to stifen it up.

For a run down on options have a look at www.uk-cherub.org

I have two Carbon/Glass tiller extentions I broke one of them first time out they weigh in at 250g each and stay on shore as spares and to lend to people.

I have been sailing using Bamboo ones for two years now and have only broken one on the shore when I capsized the boat on it. The bamboo ones are 150g each

post-16695-1186770516.jpg

I used Garden hose over the end of the UJ and the Bamboo to prevent any hard spots or splitting at the end. I found it a bit too flexable so taped a bit of sail batten over the hose to stifen it up.

For a run down on options have a look at www.uk-cherub.org

Thanks Granite! I've been going home each night looking at the hose clamps I put on the extension and thinking how bulky and ugly it looks. This will give me a better idea on how to reinforce without making it permanent. I was about to ask why the carbon extension was heavier.... but I see now that it was carbon and glass. I also read your page more extensively later tonight.

Thanks for the help on your first post.... and I hope you post more!

DaveK