MarchHare

Hobart Scene

I realised the first email sucked when I sent it to my self.....thought I would wait a week to fix it though....

49 people have now replyed.

What do you bloke use to clean stains out of fiberglass?

I realised the first email sucked when I sent it to my self.....thought I would wait a week to fix it though....

49 people have now replyed.

Rust converter - phosphoric acid.

Depends what you are talking about... If its topside gelcoat (or paint), then a decent cutting compound (3M, from The Fibreglass Shop) is great. If non-skid, then Jiff and a stiff brush. Acid is probably last resortish for me

I have done the Jiff and stiff brush once and a Karture, we got a lot off the boat but there are some stubbin stains, I think we will give it another go and then go the cutting compound. Lots of SA dust on her.

Looking for a boat cover if anyone has one spare.

Cygnet Regatta on as we speak. Three weeks to the Huon Salmon Port Esperance Regatta.

Huon Aquaculture's marketing hook is, "The World's Most Loved Salmon," therefore Port Esperance is the world's most loved regatta. 155 years of sailing and partying.

For entries go to www.pesc.com.au

ASBA Nationals mean I will miss my home regatta again but everything will be in place. Race Management, food, music and entertainment.

Looking for a boat cover if anyone has one spare.

What are ya, a poofter? (nttawwt)

winter is on its way and I want to keep the boat warm during the cold nights.......

85 owners have done the survey so far, combined clubs would like the data next week, so if you have not already completed the survey pleases get it done, it needs to get done by monday at the latest!

So, who's up for the Booka reunion?

Sounds like the biggest night at the RYCT since a RATS dinner!

TUBBY

Sailing Instructions are now available for the 2013 Huon Salmon Port Esperance Regatta. The world's most loved salmon, the world's most loved regatta!

SI's and online entries at http://www.pesc.com.au/news/news.html

Please direct all enquiries to commodore@pesc.com.au as I won't be at the regatta again due to ASBA Nationals commitments.

The Port Esperance Regatta was, as usual, excellent. This small club continues to be able to produce the good both on the water and off... good courses / racing, excellent cheap food, reasonably priced drinks, great live music etc. It amazes / disappoints me that the Regatta is so (relatively) poorly attended. Those of us that appreciate how good this little Regatta is whould make a concerted effort to encourage others to participate next year.

Was back at the club tonight after getting back from ASBA nationals. There was a bit of an air of despondency.

We have better courses, better race management, better food, better entertainment, better drinks prices than comparable regattas.

We don't have extensive moorings (but do have more than needed this year); or ferry-boat dinghies - we will not risk 15 people, no life jackets, in a 4m tinny like some other clubs do (are you listening MAST?) And handicaps for the last two years have been on the arbitrary side of scientific.

If you've had a bad experience tell us. If you've had a great time tell everyone else.

Next year ASBA Nats are in WA in January so I'll be in Dover at Easter.

The PESC Regatta is being let down by the local sailing community, mate, not the other way around. I have been chatting about the "whys" and the "what can be dones" with a few folk and will send PESC an e-mail with some thoughts / ideas.

P.S. Hope you had a good time at the SpBoNats

Need some Hobart old timers to help me.

Need any information or history on a 39 foot Buchanan designed motor sailer built by Jones Bros at Triabunna in about 1966.

Perhaps was called "Marion Du Fresne"

May have been built for Peter Johnson

It is traditional carvel and looks to be celery top.

Cheers

Need any information or history on a 39 foot Buchanan designed motor sailer built by Jones Bros at Triabunna in about 1966.

Cheers

PM me - may have a lead for you...

Was back at the club tonight after getting back from ASBA nationals. There was a bit of an air of despondency.

We have better courses, better race management, better food, better entertainment, better drinks prices than comparable regattas.

We don't have extensive moorings (but do have more than needed this year); or ferry-boat dinghies - we will not risk 15 people, no life jackets, in a 4m tinny like some other clubs do (are you listening MAST?) And handicaps for the last two years have been on the arbitrary side of scientific.

If you've had a bad experience tell us. If you've had a great time tell everyone else.

Next year ASBA Nats are in WA in January so I'll be in Dover at Easter.

we had a good time, there was a band on at the RSL on the same night as the band at the club, that would have taken away from bar sales. There were heaps of boats @ south port, Rabbit Island and Partrige, might be worth putting a special message out on the VHF (or get coast radio to do it as part of their sched) that there is a band and meals on at the PESC on the Saturday night.....

Barnes bay regatta this weekend...........whos going?

Barnes bay regatta this weekend...........whos going?

So we can't even sail against the ShitBox20's in the Autumn Two-Handed Series? The 2-Handed Worlds used to be about throwing all the boats in together on short-courses with the challenge of sailing two-up. OK, so sailing a three-person boat two-up is not as much of a challenge as sailing something like Planet X or Prion (or the Farr 40's that had a crack last year) but it was off-set by having to sail angles against the symmetric boats which could run deep. Seems again that the SB20 crowd have got their own way with their own division and own start but frankly I can't see the attraction for them. What exactly are they proving? Sailing against the same boats they race every week, OD, with one crew less.

Cheers

Just a thanks to the guys that helped out on this.

Deal done.

Marion heads over the Deagon Slipway tomorrow for a birthday.

Looking at late August back in the Channel down Dover way.

935308_10200522389115349_1293418854_n.jp

Sweet!

What's it rate on IRC?

I did tell the Yachting Arsehats that I wanted to enter the Keppel Race and asked how could I prove stability for Cat 2

Funnily enough the point got lost with them.

Cheers

Just a thanks to the guys that helped out on this.

Deal done.

Marion heads over the Deagon Slipway tomorrow for a birthday.

Looking at late August back in the Channel down Dover way.

Call into the Port Esperance Sailing Club when heading to Dover. We have three club moorings available plus the bar is open every Friday night year round. Details on www.pesc.com.au or email sailing@pesc.com.au

935308_10200522389115349_1293418854_n.jp

Sweet!

What's it rate on IRC?

It will get pinged heavily due to the f'wardhand enjoying their own air cond. on the foredeck, it wont be worth getting a rating if you also put a beer fridge up there for them...

Just in -Updated list of the world largest navies.

1 USA

2 China

3 UK

4 Lydia and Ozee

5 South Korea

6 France

I did tell the Yachting Arsehats that I wanted to enter the Keppel Race and asked how could I prove stability for Cat 2Funnily enough the point got lost with them.

It wasn't the stability that is the issue. Keppel bay need the finish boat back in time for their regattas at Christmas.

Marion heads over the Deagon Slipway tomorrow

Enjoy the Banjo music.

LB

Well I am back on the Nellie after my trip to meet Kurtz

That place should be movie set!

It's great to see another boat being purchased with intent to race in div 1. We just delivered her from port houn to bellerive yesterday. Nothing like sustained 40knts on nose. It's not my boat so I will leave it up to the new owner to let you know what boat it is.

Marion just past Tacking point at 0100 sunday. Looks like stop for few days about nnewcastle then.

Port setphens tonight rather than newcastle but there early tomorrow am. Sit and what for leg to eden.

It's great to see another boat being purchased with intent to race in div 1. We just delivered her from port houn to bellerive yesterday. Nothing like sustained 40knts on nose. It's not my boat so I will leave it up to the new owner to let you know what boat it is.

Cleopatra (Mumm 30)??

I see there is also a new (around here) Northshore NSX arrived too.

Cleopatra (Mumm 30)??

;) you could be on the money Weyalan

Yes I had a look at the new NSX Foreshore the other day, I reckon she will scrub up pretty well.

Looking forward to racing her in the 38 c

Port setphens tonight rather than newcastle but there early tomorrow am. Sit and what for leg to eden.

Off Green Cape

Cleopatra (Mumm 30)??

Who has bought Cleopatra? And what will Mr Sharp buy as his 8th new boat in 16 years?

Cleopatra (Mumm 30)??

Who has bought Cleopatra? And what will Mr Sharp buy as his 8th new boat in 16 years?

I will leave that up to you to work out Steve

]Who has bought Cleopatra? And what will Mr Sharp buy as his 8th new boat in 16 years?

Of course, work it out myself!! Why didn't I think of that? Kind of makes these forums irrelevant. So much bandwidth to be saved.

]Who has bought Cleopatra? And what will Mr Sharp buy as his 8th new boat in 16 years?

Of course, work it out myself!! Why didn't I think of that? Kind of makes these forums irrelevant. So much bandwidth to be saved.

Haha it did seem more humorous after a few beers, I was hoping that the new owners would reveal themselves. However I think they are too busy playing with their new toy.

Marion south of eddystone

What is with the name change wtf

Haha it did seem more humorous after a few beers, I was hoping that the new owners would reveal themselves. However I think they are too busy playing with their new toy.

Saw them playing today, and she was looking good!

Cleopatra (Mumm 30)??

;) you could be on the money Weyalan

Yes I had a look at the new NSX Foreshore the other day, I reckon she will scrub up pretty well.

Looking forward to racing her in the 38 c

Perhaps someone should mention to them some etiquette rules like not sailing the wrong way through the finish line during a race....

Pipe Opener time again.

I think the event is better with the massed starts on the Saturday instead of the pursuit race format. Was always hard to figure out if you go when your number dropped or came up...

So.. Who's entered? Any new boats doing it? Have they dredged the marina entrance again?

In other news, the KYC has picked up a new clubhouse and should be revamping the Channel Challenge.

A couple of photos from this weekend's BYC race, great racing conditions - lots of others available for Div 1 & 2 - PM me if you would like a copy.....

post-5640-0-88753900-1391376434_thumb.jpg

post-5640-0-01421400-1391376695_thumb.jpg

post-5640-0-40656600-1391376812_thumb.jpg

Spinnakers in twilights what do you think?

Twilights have a Spinnaker division with in the current twilight series. The aim would be to use the same courses in the current twilight sailing instructions with the spinnaker division going further than the non-spinnaker divisions.

The benefits to sailing would be many these include:

· Expose owners and crews in non-spinnaker divisions to spinnakers on the water

· Create a pathway from non-spinnaker twilight sailing to spinnaker twilight sailing to Saturday pennant and combined clubs sailing

· Expose crews to the skills required to launch, trim, gybe and retrieve a spinnaker

· Expose owners and Helms to the sailing downwind with a spinnaker in a safe environment

· Create a “supply” of trained crew for more opportunities to sail

· Expose owners to the possibility of racing their yachts on weekends in the pennants

· Offers an opportunity for a skilled crew to expose and train new crew in spinnaker use in a relatively safe environment

· Opportunity for crews to “train” for weekend racing

Spinnakers in twilights what do you think?

Twilights have a Spinnaker division with in the current twilight series. The aim would be to use the same courses in the current twilight sailing instructions with the spinnaker division going further than the non-spinnaker divisions.

The benefits to sailing would be many these include:

· Expose owners and crews in non-spinnaker divisions to spinnakers on the water

· Create a pathway from non-spinnaker twilight sailing to spinnaker twilight sailing to Saturday pennant and combined clubs sailing

· Expose crews to the skills required to launch, trim, gybe and retrieve a spinnaker

· Expose owners and Helms to the sailing downwind with a spinnaker in a safe environment

· Create a “supply” of trained crew for more opportunities to sail

· Expose owners to the possibility of racing their yachts on weekends in the pennants

· Offers an opportunity for a skilled crew to expose and train new crew in spinnaker use in a relatively safe environment

· Opportunity for crews to “train” for weekend racing

I like the idea, the only practice some of my crew get with a spinnaker is the Barns Bay. Only problem i see is reducing division numbers, you can't just lump all spinnaker boats into one division. I'd give it a try, BYC...

Bump

All you sad, pathetic old losers (like me) who own tragic old leadmines (like mine)

Get your entries in for the IOR World Champs... it is less than 2 weeks away

Also, anyone heard any official words on whether or not the Dover Regatta is a go or not this year? We seem to end up down Port Esperance way anyway, so will end up thereabouts, but it would be good to know if we need to take the net and cray-pot or the spinnakers..

Maybe the cray-pot and net is a safer option either way

dover2014-10_thumb.jpg

Nice day out in the Hobart winter series.

Hard to get a drink at the end though.

So if sail in hotown and you weren't out to day, well your a bit soft really.

Especially the shit box 20 pretenders.

Great day out on Saturday for the cock of the Huon. Yeah that is what is called.

Big boat benefit given when the breeze filled in and the staggered divisional starts yet overall results.

Some of the finish times seem a bit bogus.

But otherwise fun start to the year.

Some wind about for the first race of the season. Good job by the fleet out there! Some gear was broken and sails in need of repair!

Some wind about for the first race of the season. Good job by the fleet out there! Some gear was broken and sails in need of repair!

Your boat was conspicuous by it's absence, Snoopy, old boy. A moment of sanity on the Madness, perhaps?

Your boat was conspicuous by it's absence, Snoopy, old boy. A moment of sanity on the Madness, perhaps?

Yep. Too much wind for us the last two weeks. We have not done the miles yet as a new crew to go out and enjoy that wind. I hope that we get two drops in the long race series because this is one race i want to drop. There are some good photos on the BYC facebook page for the race.

Comments on the new sailing season format?

worth organising a meeting to discuss?

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:58 PM, snoopy said:

Comments on the new sailing season format?

worth organising a meeting to discuss?

Looks like the clubs have sorted it out pretty well - see what the fleets are like. The 4 Groups giving tighter TCF bands is good. Fair chance that there will be some good racing.

Moving down to Hobart and racing on the Elan E4.  First race is the Pipe Opener, looking fwd to getting out on the Derwent again.

Just in case the news has not got out, you might want to talk to your local club committee about the changes to the Sailing Tasmania Constitution.

The changes if passed will impact on the finances and who controls the bank accounts, ie Sydney head office.

In short you will pay more for less and the locals will have no real control over the finances.

There is also changes to the fee structure.

The meeting is on 8 August at RYCT.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lydia said:

Are they putting food on?

On 7/10/2018 at 12:58 PM, jackolantern said:

Salmon from the farms on the derwent

You want fries with that?

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, lydia said:

Just in case the news has not got out, you might want to talk to your local club committee about the changes to the Sailing Tasmania Constitution.

The changes if passed will impact on the finances and who controls the bank accounts, ie Sydney head office.

In short you will pay more for less and the locals will have no real control over the finances.

There is also changes to the fee structure.

Surprised Snoopy has not been along to tell us why we should  throw ourselves on the altar of national administration.