MarchHare

Hobart Scene

A new 30ft canter by FBYD.      ....that took a bit of time to build

download.jpg

images.jpg

17 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

It came in an email from the DSS. I presume it went to all DSS members. And, therefore not to RYCT, BYC, or HYC members.

So they decided to ask only DSS members? Last year there were 26 entrants in the Pipe-Opener with only 10 from the DSS

Why is it that every club that starts to hold hands with AS, then starts to fuck every other club around them!

Let me guess how this plays out.

DSS will offer an alternative event on the same weekend, say Hobart to Barnes Bay, maybe a race to Green Island, night at Kettering and back to DSS on the Sunday.

With the way people are getting about races that go too long now days,  they might be better to race to BYC and overnight there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lydia said:

Why is it that every club that starts to hold hands with AS, then starts to fuck every other club around them!

Let me guess how this plays out.

DSS will offer an alternative event on the same weekend, say Hobart to Barnes Bay, maybe a race to Green Island, night at Kettering and back to DSS on the Sunday.

I believe they are talking to Kettering YC. At least that what one of the DSS members told me.

On 5/20/2020 at 2:19 PM, jeff said:

I believe they are talking to Kettering YC. At least that what one of the DSS members told me.

I just had that confirmed by a Kettering Yacht Club member. Does anyone know if they've had the common decency to speak with the Huon Yacht Club.

I think it's ironic that a few whingers think it's too far to go to Port Huon but still go in numbers to Cygnet, only a mile or so shorter once you get up into the bay.

With the PESC Clubhouse being torched we could move the Dover Regatta to Kettering too. That would boost the fleet and bring great benefits to the Dover community and businesses.

On 5/20/2020 at 10:22 AM, 42 South said:

So they decided to ask only DSS members? Last year there were 26 entrants in the Pipe-Opener with only 10 from the DSS

@42 South  #42south

Hey mate, 

Found this today under 16 other sail bags. Still havnt opened it to see whats actually in it, but, If you’d like it returned, PM me:D

(Made its way to North Queensland via road:lol:)

98BE7DE0-3790-4993-BF1A-4715B66A8E4E.jpeg

Does anyone else think its bad that we are less than 6 weeks from open day and we still have no schedule or NOR for the coming season?

snoops, you always leave it to last minute so no one has any input and can't complain.

You are smarter that that!

It does mean of course a few more owners go "fuck it, I will play golf".

I see the RYCT continues to go down the South East Queensland path.

Just got my 2020- 2021 NoR 

And again I can't enter the Summer Pennant not having a fitted VHF but there was no problem sailing in last weekend in the Winter Pennant in 40+ knots on the Derwent without a fitted radio.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 12:37 PM, Livia said:

I see the RYCT continues to go down the South East Queensland path.

Just got my 2020- 2021 NoR 

All clubs seems to be doing a  thing of having to be a "financial" member of that club to be in the pennant, this is a new rule since Combined clubs formed.  The Royal is allowing all comers in its pennant, for a small fee. Not Sure what the rules are for the other two clubs. I am a member of the RYCT and BYC and the other owner  of the boat is a member of the DSS so hopeful we can still do all three clubs pennants.  

What can be said is the NOR section 15 is not very clear.

Sounds like pipe opener was good, sorry I missed it, there is always next year!

HELLO TO FORUM STORKERS, look forward to my phone call/email because you cant read!   

• Like 1

What is it with Hobart and its aversion to windward leeward championship racing? Bugger all local entries in the IRC Nationals, Combined Clubs Short Course Championships cancelled due to lack of entries and now the Tasmanian Yachting Championships cancelled for the same reason.

Has Hobart become the cheese and bickies racing centre of Australia?

I am going with the people who always push windward leeward racing in clubs are usually selfish fuckwits that other people can't be bothered sailing against.

Not saying I agree but just an observation.

Boom racing events in this part of the world is passage racing.

The tribe have voted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Livia said:

I am going with the people who always push windward leeward racing in clubs are usually selfish fuckwits that other people can't be bothered sailing against.

As opposed to those fuckwits that other people can't be bothered sailing with?

How is the 2-handed Sydney 38 Moreton Bay passage racing circuit going?

For me its the need to put a whole weekend into the event, I and my crew just cant do it. Hopefully now we can go back to a Saturday Arvo harbour and separate long series. like we used to do. 8 race each.

On 11/21/2020 at 3:37 PM, (p)Irate said:

What is it with Hobart and its aversion to windward leeward championship racing? Bugger all local entries in the IRC Nationals, Combined Clubs Short Course Championships cancelled due to lack of entries and now the Tasmanian Yachting Championships cancelled for the same reason.

Has Hobart become the cheese and bickies racing centre of Australia?

Pure speculation on my part here, but my guess is that most of the guys who are sufficiently competitive to relish proper windward leeward racing are probably sufficiently competitive to be racing in the SB fleet... Winning a pickle dish handicap WL racing is still handicap "racing"...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoopy said:

For me its the need to put a whole weekend into the event, I and my crew just cant do it. Hopefully now we can go back to a Saturday Arvo harbour and separate long series. like we used to do. 8 race each.

Me too. Don't have time for a full weekend of racing and we'd hoped there would be more PM races and sometimes a short race followed by a lap around the cans. Would make the trip for the start boat a bit more worthwhile and give a bit of variety and an extra scoreable race. Instead the CC series got an extra long race, no short races and if you count an island a mark, we've had 7 roundings and 1 gybe over the first three races. No one is saying we have to have W/L but we do need more PM races and a lot more corners. We want to race, not cruise in company.  We're pretty well done with the CC pennant, so roll on L2H, then Kettering YC's Channel Challenge ( a must do)  and then Crown for some real racing. 

15 hours ago, Weyalan said:

Pure speculation on my part here, but my guess is that most of the guys who are sufficiently competitive to relish proper windward leeward racing are probably sufficiently competitive to be racing in the SB fleet... Winning a pickle dish handicap WL racing is still handicap "racing"...

No for me. Too old, and gone soft. Haven't had a swim in the Derwent for 20 years and not about to start again now. Also SB's don't have a fridge, but if you start sailing on a SB maybe you can find a spot for me.

35 minutes ago, jeff said:

No for me. Too old, and gone soft. Haven't had a swim in the Derwent for 20 years and not about to start again now. Also SB's don't have a fridge, but if you start sailing on a SB maybe you can find a spot for me.

If I do, I'll save you a spot Jeff (but I suspect you'll have to fight Lis for the helm), but don't hold your breath

It was great to see a good turn-out for the Nibbs Electrical / Tim Roberts Memorial Race yesterday. Fair Winds Tim

• Like 1

Was in the start box. It was a real shame to see Alive hit the bottom when they started - didn't' think that would happen as it was about 100m from the shore. There was a real crunching sound when it grounded - any news on how it faired afterward?

10 hours ago, 42 South said:

Was in the start box. It was a real shame to see Alive hit the bottom when they started - didn't' think that would happen as it was about 100m from the shore. There was a real crunching sound when it grounded - any news on how it faired afterward?

Nah - didn't hit the bricks.

Good Sailing TR - great man.