MarchHare

Hobart Scene

An awesome boat offshore.. :lol:

Can't be too ugly Trim on, she's featured in more sailing magazines than any other Tassie boat!!

Josh and his crew made a lot of friends on their visits to Skandia Geelong Week. Nice bunch with awesome thirst. Agree very quick in a bit of grunty breeze.

Graphics may explain the 'media darling' status of the boat. She always was a bit of a sticker in the light stuff though.

Where did you store the slabs? Or did they go by road?

As for Roadkill, didn't I see some last week. So much I'm surprised there's anything left in Tassie.

Ice box, buckets and under the floorboards - it's amazing how many cans fit under there.

I headed down to the auction at Franklin on Saturday. Lots of goodies went on the block. I wonder what boat the 2 x Lewmar 65s will end up on?Also, what you gonna do with a mainsail off Helsal2? The only items I was interested in went for well over double my max bid :( Did anyone else grab a bargain?

Josh and his crew made a lot of friends on their visits to Skandia Geelong Week. Nice bunch with awesome thirst. Agree very quick in a bit of grunty breeze.

Graphics may explain the 'media darling' status of the boat. She always was a bit of a sticker in the light stuff though.

Geelong week was a huge favorite of ours... It's very thirsty work that sailing stuff :P

No, she wasn't all that slippery in the light, that could be another reason we drank?? :lol:

Geelong week was a huge favorite of ours... It's very thirsty work that sailing stuff :P

No, she wasn't all that slippery in the light, that could be another reason we drank?? :lol:

So, is there a Q 2 on the drawing board? The Geelong Bundy Storm won't be the same without you guys.

So, is there a Q 2 on the drawing board? The Geelong Bundy Storm won't be the same without you guys.

Not at this stage, haven't been able to get Josh that drunk again, yet.

You should still see us at Geelong, just spread over a couple of boats, something about trying to dilute our influence. :lol:

But you never know sometime in the future...

I heard a rumour yesterday that Hobart's little boat slut has burnt another Div 1 owner. That's 6 in less than a year. Way to go.

By the way, did anyone notice whether Insatiable was displaying nav lights on the Pipe Opener Friday night race? The PRO has decided to disqualify us :(

We were showing a mast-head tricolour (instead of bow & stern lights), as allowed under rule 25b of the COLLREGS, but the PRO is claiming that we were not. I have to front a protest hearing tomorrow.

On the one hand, it was only the Pipe Opener, so doesn't count for much, we didn't do any good anyway and we had a great time all weekend, so I am not too bothered by it. But on the other hand, we were showing the legal lights (the masthead tricolour illuminates our windex, ergo if we can see our windex, then our lights are working) and as a matter of principle, since we were, as far as I am aware, displaying legal lighting, I would prefer it if we were not disq.

If any of you people did notice us, either with, or indeed without, appropriate lights, at any time during the race (even pre-start) I would appreciate if you could let me know, as it might help my case. Our sail number is S79.

FWIW, after we finished the race, we switched to standard bow, stern and steaming lights for the motor up the Huon (as required by the COLLREGS), so sightings after the finish don't help our case.

Thanks all.

I heard a rumour yesterday that Hobart's little boat slut has burnt another Div 1 owner. That's 6 in less than a year. Way to go.

Who and wots the storey? Guess ur one of them eh?

By the way, did anyone notice whether Insatiable was displaying nav lights on the Pipe Opener Friday night race? The PRO has decided to disqualify us :(

We were showing a mast-head tricolour (instead of bow & stern lights), as allowed under rule 25b of the COLLREGS, but the PRO is claiming that we were not. I have to front a protest hearing tomorrow.

On the one hand, it was only the Pipe Opener, so doesn't count for much, we didn't do any good anyway and we had a great time all weekend, so I am not too bothered by it. But on the other hand, we were showing the legal lights (the masthead tricolour illuminates our windex, ergo if we can see our windex, then our lights are working) and as a matter of principle, since we were, as far as I am aware, displaying legal lighting, I would prefer it if we were not disq.

If any of you people did notice us, either with, or indeed without, appropriate lights, at any time during the race (even pre-start) I would appreciate if you could let me know, as it might help my case. Our sail number is S79.

FWIW, after we finished the race, we switched to standard bow, stern and steaming lights for the motor up the Huon (as required by the COLLREGS), so sightings after the finish don't help our case.

Thanks all.

Sorry, didn't see you. I suggest you work out what time you crossed the line and then check the results to see who finished around you. I know that Pisces was DSQ for the same reason.

March Hare - yes, I'm one. The other five owners know who they are and who he is.

The PRU ROOTER strikes again!!!!!!!

As I was offering words of encouragment (insulting(In a mates way)) the insatiable crew at the start line and once again going down the cource where I enquiered about the roast and how well it was going, I didnot notice any lights off. I remember the stern light. we would have known if there was no light.......we politly asked a few boats to turn there lights on on the way down but Pattie and his bunch of festy sailors were not one of them!!!!

Sorry mate - I don't recall seeing you at all - you must have gotten away ahead of us.

The way that our sport is meant to work, you should be able to send a note to the PRO explaining your situation and that you could see your masthead all night, hence your nav lights had to be on, and the PRO should take your word that the facts as you present them are correct.

The facts is an intresting thing.......

Going into the protest all I can say is be prepared..........1 wittness who is independent and supports your case is the best bet........

I know how much time you spent on your boat and been a stickler for those sort of things, this must be annoying

I know the guys off Pisces were disapointed ate been given the boot as well....

although been on Quality Equipment and coming last it is nice to have a few boats below us on the results :P

A feather duster on the friday night and a rooster on the sunday.........

I hate protests.

To be honest, I am not particularly bothered by this. The PRO is only calling it as he saw it... I happen to think he is mistaken, and will make my case tonight. However I'm not going to lose sleep either way. I didn't finish wiring in the new red running light on the pulpit until about 9pm on Thursday night, and after the job was completed I made a point of checking the running lights, stern light, masthead and steaming. Shrug. As I mentioned before, I am more motivated by having had a great 3 days of sailing and partying, so the results are almost immaterial.

Just been informed that the disqualification has been withdrawn: Insatiable (and, I assume Pisces) will be reinstated. No more protest hearing tonight. It is all good. :)

Just been informed that the disqualification has been withdrawn: Insatiable (and, I assume Pisces) will be reinstated. No more protest hearing tonight. It is all good. :)

Only all good if you don't beat us. :lol::lol::lol:

So, when are we going to this little beautie on the water?

post-5640-1191184455_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any better pictures or know where it is at????

As soon as it's finished!!

So, when are we going to this little beautie on the water?

post-5640-1191184455_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any better pictures or know where it is at????

It's hiding in an unassuming warehouse somewhere north of the Hobart CBD.

While I wish Gary and company the best of luck in getting it done in time for one of the offshore races it appears that it would take an act of God to have the boat ready in time for Maria Island.

That unassuming warehouse wouldn't happen to be some where off Derwent Park Road at all

would it?

While I wish Gary and company the best of luck in getting it done in time for one of the offshore races it appears that it would take an act of God to have the boat ready in time for Maria Island.

The aim is to be ready for Sail South in January. Any earlier would be a bonus.

That unassuming warehouse wouldn't happen to be some where off Derwent Park Road at all

would it?

I don't mean to sound precious but it might be best to contact Gary via Marineline to get the location. I hesitate to post it here because I think that Gary and company are working their asses off to get the boat done and I don't want to presume that they think that visitors are a good idea at this point.

Opening Day this Saturday - while it is getting a bit ho-hum for me I am hoping that my Sailing Anarchy Yacht Club pennant will be here by then so I can fly it proudly - especially if any BYC PRO and anonymous friends are watching!! :lol::lol::lol:

I am hoping the second coat of 1 pac (in a lovley off white) has set

or I doubt that Fine Cotton will have people below during the day......

could be a bit smelly......

Quality Equipment may have to be the battle group leader for this weekend.....

Is this party on this friday night on at the DSS?

would it?

I don't mean to sound precious but it might be best to contact Gary via Marineline to get the location. I hesitate to post it here because I think that Gary and company are working their asses off to get the boat done and I don't want to presume that they think that visitors are a good idea at this point.

That's exactly right Sparky, lots of work to be done and visitors are only a hassle..

Be patient you'll get to see it when it hits the water..

Is this party on this friday night on at the DSS?

Yes, 5.30 - 7.30 at the DSS. Cost $20 a head all inclusive (whatever that means - all you can drink and eat???). RSVP to Davo at the DSS by today 6223 1977.

I won't be there as I have a prior engagement in the far south - council elections coming up and we need to get the right people in so we can save PESC from the council's crazy road proposal.

Any anarchists who are eligible to vote in the Huon Valley Council election vote 1 Charmagne Thiessen (leader of the save the foreshore) and vote 1 for Mike Wilson for Mayor (his platform is to save foreshore reserves from development). I know someone will say, "Take it to PA," but unless this road is stopped the Port Esperance Sailing Club is no more.

Good to see a bit of life in the old Hobart sailing scene. I sailed in and around Hobart, mainly Bellerive, for about 15 years of my life. My parents live aboard a big old twin masted beast that we used to do the pipeopener in, in those days you were allowed to motor/sail, which was great as she only moved in over 20 knots. I see a few familiar names on here too, mainly Kealy and I saw someone mention "Brett and Jacinta". Can someone tell me the name of "Brett and Jacinta"s boat and which club they sail out of? I have known those 2 for over 30 years :) Also "42 South", I see that is the old "Top Cat" (found that on http://www.sailing-online.com.au/boats/mas...m?yacht_id=894). (She was only called that because "Monier Tiles" sponsored us in the Syd-Hobart. Their slogan was something like "Monier, the top cat in tiles"..or something.) I sailed on her out of Mornington when she was originally built by mal Hart, and was there when she was born. We did part of the 1994 Sydney to Hobart but unfortunately a whale intervened off Jervis Bay :( She was a beautiful boat to sail on, but she was a nice baby blue colour back then :)

I have spent about 12 years sailing out of melbourne, and now enjoying the warmth in Brisbane :P Unfortunately only just sold our Ross 780 MkII :(

Anyway, kudos to those of you game enough to get out in those winter series races on the derwent, I remember them well, and not necessarily with fondness.

Good to see a bit of life in the old Hobart sailing scene. I sailed in and around Hobart, mainly Bellerive, for about 15 years of my life. My parents live aboard a big old twin masted beast that we used to do the pipeopener in, in those days you were allowed to motor/sail, which was great as she only moved in over 20 knots. I see a few familiar names on here too, mainly Kealy and I saw someone mention "Brett and Jacinta". Can someone tell me the name of "Brett and Jacinta"s boat and which club they sail out of? I have known those 2 for over 30 years :) Also "42 South", I see that is the old "Top Cat" (found that on http://www.sailing-online.com.au/boats/mas...m?yacht_id=894). (She was only called that because "Monier Tiles" sponsored us in the Syd-Hobart. Their slogan was something like "Monier, the top cat in tiles"..or something.) I sailed on her out of Mornington when she was originally built by mal Hart, and was there when she was born. We did part of the 1994 Sydney to Hobart but unfortunately a whale intervened off Jervis Bay :( She was a beautiful boat to sail on, but she was a nice baby blue colour back then :)

I have spent about 12 years sailing out of melbourne, and now enjoying the warmth in Brisbane :P Unfortunately only just sold our Ross 780 MkII :(

Anyway, kudos to those of you game enough to get out in those winter series races on the derwent, I remember them well, and not necessarily with fondness.

Good to hear from you AlexJ - when we bought her (Top Cat) she was painted white and had top cat cartoon characters all over her which made her look a bit tired. Until recently, we still had an old fluoro pink kite from those days with an elongated sausage cat with the words "Top Cat in Rooting" - someone had a sense of humour........ A great boat in a blow, hence the reason we are looking to do M2H this year. Do you have any old pictures of her? Have you seen her sisterships as well in Melbourne who are still sailing well.

Brett and Jacinta sail out of the BYC in Hobart and have two boats, one a sports boat (Feeling Cheeky) and the other a 40' cruiser.

Good to hear from you AlexJ - when we bought her (Top Cat) she was painted white and had top cat cartoon characters all over her which made her look a bit tired. Until recently, we still had an old fluoro pink kite from those days with an elongated sausage cat with the words "Top Cat in Rooting" - someone had a sense of humour........ A great boat in a blow, hence the reason we are looking to do M2H this year. Do you have any old pictures of her? Have you seen her sisterships as well in Melbourne who are still sailing well.

Brett and Jacinta sail out of the BYC in Hobart and have two boats, one a sports boat (Feeling Cheeky) and the other a 40' cruiser.

Have you seen her sisterships as well in Melbourne who are still sailing well.

No sorry 42, currently living in Brisbane and can't recall them from Melbourne. It was a beutiful day when she first kissed the water. We went straight from where she was launched to the start of the Portsea - Hastings race, we were leading the fleet most of the way down the coast even before she had any tuning done :) Even beating the old "Animal Farm" and "Fast Forward", both about 10 foot longer ;)

I don't think I have any old pictures of her, but I do have her on video from when we berthed at Jervis Bay. the channel 10 cameras were there. If you can find a copy of the video of the 50th Sydney-Hobart race you will see her on there ;)

Thanks for the other info.

Alex

Just noticed on the bottom of the invitation to the Rating Association function at the DSS

“promoting keelboat racing & sailing in southern Tasmania”

How refreshing. Way to go DSS!!!

Don't forget, boys 'n girls; the real racing starts tomorrow evening (BYC Twilight races). You can keep yer silly pennants (folk tend to take 'em way too seriously), twilight racing with can of Cascade draught in hand, in a fleet of 90 or so boats of which at least 50% have half a clue - that, my friends, is what it is all about!

Hope I can get out there...

Took the cruising genoa off the furler on Sunday and thought shit this luff tape has a small bolt rope - bettcha the racing sails (more like painters drop cloths...) have a different size.

Sure enough they didn't fit - hopefull will get at least the No 1 back in time.

Will miss the first two due to having uni on wed night but the cotton will be out there next week....and then I will be there the week after......Harr ahh........look forward to the wednesday night dinner at the BYC after the race and catching up with fellow sailors .....

went sailing on the X 35 X rated for the channel race.........lots of fun.....arms were a bit sore on monday.......have not had to do any work for a while.....just been on the stick.....

I felt for the guys on Mojo where there main went....I had mine do the same last year......

Fine Cotten will be out there for the RYCT DIV1 race, should be good.....

Gavin....

After last year's Sydney Hobart, I was wandering around the Royal YC of Tassie and saw a couple of boats that looked interesting. Can anyone tell me what they are ?

post-5483-1191915406_thumb.jpg post-5483-1191915482_thumb.jpg post-5483-1191915684_thumb.jpg

Is this a Magic 25 with a canting keel modification? Looks good. Is it sailing well to its handicap?

And then there was this good looking boat on a road trailer. What is it?

post-5483-1191915903_thumb.jpg post-5483-1191915963_thumb.jpg post-5483-1191916020_thumb.jpg

Thanks

WHL

First is modified Magic 25 as u surmised. One of the Hobart guys can tell you how it goes, otherwise do a search on Magic 25 in Sportsboat Anarchy as the boat has been discussed there before. Modified with canter to get rid of trapezes and to allow short handed racing.

Second photos are Thompson 920 ABN Amro-Morgan. Very well performing sportsboat, check out RYCT results to see how it goes

Two Heads

After last year's Sydney Hobart, I was wandering around the Royal YC of Tassie and saw a couple of boats that looked interesting. Can anyone tell me what they are ?

post-5483-1191915406_thumb.jpg post-5483-1191915482_thumb.jpg post-5483-1191915684_thumb.jpg

Is this a Magic 25 with a canting keel modification? Looks good. Is it sailing well to its handicap?

And then there was this good looking boat on a road trailer. What is it?

post-5483-1191915903_thumb.jpg post-5483-1191915963_thumb.jpg post-5483-1191916020_thumb.jpg

Thanks

WHL

First is modified Magic 25 as u surmised. One of the Hobart guys can tell you how it goes, otherwise do a search on Magic 25 in Sportsboat Anarchy as the boat has been discussed there before. Modified with canter to get rid of trapezes and to allow short handed racing.

Second photos are Thompson 920 ABN Amro-Morgan. Very well performing sportsboat, check out RYCT results to see how it goes

Two Heads

The T920 was called Road Runner in a previous life..... see here

Where did everyone go? Division 1 was only 6 boats last night? Cyclone, Eurocentral, Taspaints, Excite, Masquerade and Insatiable.

Planet X is, I assume, still on blocks at the DSS

Blackmagic is getting a paint job

Fine Cotton is crewed by soft-cocks (although I am told they will be back next week)

But that still leaves us about 10 shy of last year's fleet. I was expecting a couple more F40s (Stringbean told me that PoW was going to be racing), not to mention all the other usual suspects. There were only 64 boats in total, which isn't bad, but will, I hope, get significantly better over the coming weeks.

Anyway, it was still a great race, with a broad reach off the start line and plenty of frosty ones. I think "the 'clone" had a good tussle with Huey (it still goes alright as a "cruiser" and it's cruising sails look to be in better shape than its racing rags), and we had a good race with Masquerade. Robin White won on corrected, but we got the bottle of plonk (yay).

Fine Cotton will be there next week........AHHHHARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH.....soft cocks and all!!!!!!

Have to polute your club with smelly, drunk, sailors......who like Rum.

Looks like we will be doing a bit of sailing out of the BYC this season......which will be good.

BYC Twilight races - a fleet of 90 or so boats of which at least 50% have half a clue

Div 1 is fine but when we used to sail Spanish in Div 2 half a clue was complimentary to a lot of them! Bloody hairy in a 25' boat mixing it on the line with a 51' cruiser we dubbed Just Farr Cough. Still was fun all in all, so much so that when we got the Mumm one of the crew complained. Apparently the boat was too fast to drink a six pack in a race like he was used to.

Div 1 is fine but when we used to sail Spanish in Div 2 half a clue was complimentary to a lot of them! Bloody hairy in a 25' boat mixing it on the line with a 51' cruiser we dubbed Just Farr Cough. Still was fun all in all, so much so that when we got the Mumm one of the crew complained. Apparently the boat was too fast to drink a six pack in a race like he was used to.

Just drink faster, or sandbag like others do!!!

Well done Tracento!

Damn main ripped on Fine Cotton. :(

had a ball up till then.......

7.2 kn up wind, flying speeds down wind......

Just drink faster, or sandbag like others do!!!

Well done Tracento!

7.2 - sounds like you need to recalibrate your gear. or you werent going upwind

So what do the quick boats in Hobart do upwind, must be 7.2 plus plenty?

I say bullshit.

Well done Tracento!

Did you get to smell your tactician's finger???

Thank you for your opinion Trim on but I have a few crew who were also looking at the log and, we were right on the stern of Picese at the top mark whos speed range is in that area (7.1 - 7.5Kn) and with all the work that we have been doing on fine cotton, she is a lot lighter and the crew are hot off a successful winter serieslatley I say it is quite possable..........

smelling my crews fingers is not something I ilike to due, but in this case burning fless is not good..........

If it was me I would be sooking.....she just went oh well and carried on as if it didnt happen!!!!!

Oedipus - Spied your Mumm on a trailer in the RYCT carpark yesterday - enquiring minds.........

7.2 - sounds like you need to recalibrate your gear. I say bullshit.

Possibly, the targets for the Mumm 30 in that sort of breeze are high 6's. Another positive comment though Trim On, keep it up.

Another lovely evening on the Derwent last night. Many cold ones were consumed. Insatiable was "on fire" (metaphorically, unlike the sheds at the back of the club, that were on fire literally), insofar as a 25 year old pig can be said to be "on fire". There appeared to be some interesting argy-bargy, a goodly amount of yelling, and a couple of ominous bumps at the pin end of the line (we were well out of it, hitting the line with clean air and pace, 1/3 of the way down), but I wasn't there so I won't point any fingers (fun though that is). Congrats to Billy Batt / Sothern Star on a good win. Great to see Huey / Eurocentral clear out on Cyclone, reversing the previous week's results. Fine Cotton was obviously dragging the bucket hoping for a good handicap in the coming weeks. There were 10 boats in Div 1 this week; an improvement on last week, but it would still be great to see a good few more out... maybe when the weather gets a bit warmer huh?

Division 2 is looking like great racing, with a really competetive fleet. Saga, Shadowfax, Excalibur & Singapore Girl looked to be having some great racing, both over the line and on handicap.

BYC17-10-07b.jpg

N.B. Photo stolen from BYC / Merv Gray; I hope hthey won't mind too much...

Xcite, Southern Star, Insatiable, Black Magic & Archie having a go (we almost certainly won the drinking!)

Another lovely evening on the Derwent last night. Many cold ones were consumed. Insatiable was "on fire" (metaphorically, unlike the sheds at the back of the club, that were on fire literally),

Another fire in hobart?

Wots going down there?

Much damge done?

Nah, I don't think so. There was a fair bit of smoke and flames, but the fire brigade arrived very swiftly and had it all doused in next to no time. Certainly not in the Myers / KG5 footy stadium league, thats for sure.

Oedipus - Spied your Mumm on a trailer in the RYCT carpark yesterday - enquiring minds.........

Let the rumour mill start grinding!!!

DSS races were good, good fast racing, t shirt and sun cream weather......

like the courses alot.

The big boys looked good out there, we had fun going around the top mark on the X-35 infront of some bigger boats :-) then the kite blew up:-( from a rooster to a feather duster.....

Made it up in the second race though.....

fun to get out there and have fun after the problems that we had on Fine cotton last week!

Let the rumour mill start grinding!!!

So wot is with the mumm. Been sold? They gonna get sumthin they can handle?

Whos doin the byc sprint series tihs week?

DSS races were good, good fast racing, t shirt and sun cream weather......

like the courses alot.

The big boys looked good out there, we had fun going around the top mark on the X-35 infront of some bigger boats :-) then the kite blew up:-( from a rooster to a feather duster.....

Made it up in the second race though.....

fun to get out there and have fun after the problems that we had on Fine cotton last week!

It was a great day to be on the water. We had a great start in Race 1 revision 1 - then after the general recall we had a subhuman crap start and wallowed in the entire fleet's bad air till we could tack out into some actual air. Half the crew had never been aboard before but they were all experienced sailors so things went fairly well, except I've been wondering... when you hoist a kite is it supposed to wrap around the headstay a couple of times and then slowly slip open after some tugging, grunting and yelling from the bow?

We seem to have done that twice :-) It's so much more satisfying to pop the kite and have it gently snap open, making that satisfying sound.

Well sailed X-Rated!

Well sailed Pisces!

Well sailed everyone else who finished ahead of us!

It was a great day to be on the water. We had a great start in Race 1 revision 1 - then after the general recall we had a subhuman crap start and wallowed in the entire fleet's bad air till we could tack out into some actual air. Half the crew had never been aboard before but they were all experienced sailors so things went fairly well, except I've been wondering... when you hoist a kite is it supposed to wrap around the headstay a couple of times and then slowly slip open after some tugging, grunting and yelling from the bow?

We seem to have done that twice :-) It's so much more satisfying to pop the kite and have it gently snap open, making that satisfying sound.

Well sailed X-Rated!

Well sailed Pisces!

Well sailed everyone else who finished ahead of us!

So what your trying to say is welldone everyone!!!!!!!!!!...

And it only happened once, the second was just a single twist in the brace and that span out in a second.

The problem was the first time everyone was listening to the mastman not the bowman, it could of been solved a lot quicker, bringing the brace on and down instead of the sheet would of given you that beautiful snapping sound.

instead of the popping flogging sound from X-rated

I was most disappointed of all my first ever wineglass in 10 years being on the bow, and it wasn't even a head over clue wrap just a head twister.

I had to spend many hours drowing my sorrows in the bar just to be able to get over it.

Great day on the water though, strange finish to the last course though???, just wondering what the rich people were doing.

So wot is with the mumm. Been sold? They gonna get sumthin they can handle?

Whos doin the byc sprint series tihs week?

I suppose a Farr40 would be easier to handle!!!

I suppose a Farr40 would be easier to handle!!!

Hmmm... I didn't think of this, and have copped shit for posting it before, but here goes.. :angry::angry:

Click on the thumbnail, I don't know why it doesn't display properly ..

post-5958-1193031361_thumb.jpg

The cotton will be there HAHA on wednesday

beer and yacking at the BYC sounds good.......I have a beer and BBQ night to go to afterward though....

Where were you March Hare?

What boat do you have, Ill be intrested to know, becuase obviously you put your money, time and effort into a boat and know what it take to get on the water. I'd like to hear about the venture you have done and see you do the next venture that the Mumm 30 is about to do?

Please March Hare show us the light!

Just seeing what happens when you turn 50!

Nothing :(

Once you turn 50 you should never trust a fart, and never waste an erection.......

Billy Connolly

Once you turn 50 you should never trust a fart, and never waste an erection.......

Billy Connolly

I never trust a fart after a night on the rum... :blink:

In fact I don't usually see an erection after a night on the rum :huh:

The cotton will be there HAHA on wednesday

beer and yacking at the BYC sounds good.......I have a beer and BBQ night to go to afterward though....

We'll see you there but not from the X unfortuntely.

Good to see you still sailing on Saturday on a boat with an X in it snoopy. Hear you tried to lose a few crew during the race.

We'll see you there but not from the X unfortuntely.

Hows the work coming along? Do you have an ETA for getting her wet? It was looking good last time I was at DSS.

All crew were onboard for that RACE, for the whole race..........

That is all I will say on the matter

From my seat in my office I can see the harbour, and I can see the Wednesday arvo racers out there.

Looks like about 8 boats, it's sunny and a light northerly breeze.

Fuck I wish I was out there.......

Question is - will the sea breeze kick in - or will the northerly win out - or will it be glass around 6:00pm????

Question is - will the sea breeze kick in - or will the northerly win out - or will it be glass around 6:00pm????

You'd have to think the sea breeze would come in But it often seems to coincide with the tide turning, and this happened a couple of hours ago so maybe not.

You'd have to think the sea breeze would come in But it often seems to coincide with the tide turning, and this happened a couple of hours ago so maybe not.

Yup - in now.....

Yup - in now.....

Loverly Twilight tonight. When Snoopy crossed our bow with a crazed grin on his face we decided to put the beers down and get slightly serious for a few minutes. Amazing how much difference it can make when you actually trim the sails and think about what to do next :-)

We were quite suprised to how we did on that first leg as we tacked early off the line so we missed the advantage of the lift off Kangaroo Bluff, but we got into the west influence earlier, We then mixed the mark up and stayed out futher than we would of liked as we were in the rougher water we tacked again to get the lift off the west again and get onto the lay line again.......CPMS (Cans per Mile) were affected by shortage of crew hence not having anyone spare to pass cans around when requiered.

The designated crew who was to helm was sick so that was a bit of a bugger as well.......

went sailing on Black Magic on Thursday that was good...was going to do the Twighlight but to buggered.

Went and watched the start from Castray Box and was promptly promoted to Hotter button pusher......

I didnt realise the process that are followed by the starting/finishing team and got a good insight into it.

They do alot of work and I am thankful for that.

The Starts were good a few boats were well over, and the Officer of the Day is a demon on the X flag.

West payed off big time as the syd 38 had to go back over the line but had a good leg down .......Picies did well that race.

Looking forward to the BYC race this weekend.....

I was going to take it easy this season looks like I am doing all three pennants and offshores and wed twighlights...........

We had a real prick of a race on the dark blue boat.... Got a good start (after the previous weeks effort anyway - god I wish some people would follow the rules - yeah I know it's only a beer-can race, but serious damage can happen as some people use the rules to their advantage and others do not respond as they should - we got sandwiched between a certain 50' boat who wouldn't (couldn't?) go up and another boat who thinks it a worlds..... fucken glad we have a solid clunker with alloy toe rails....) and then flag X... did a quick dip and away again - still looked OK - didn't see the recall flag come down - but no OCS in the results - wtf??.

Boat felt like a piece of shit going upwind - we had a #3 - then the pressure dropped so we changed up. We could not get anywhere near our target speed (like 1.5 - 2 kts down) and the boat was really hard to steer. Could have been the prop not feathering properly or plastic bag etc caught on the rudder.

Things looked really grim as the Div 2 boats passed us like we were standing still and they started 5 mins after us!!

While rounding the WM, there was some vibration in the helm & smooth again & then boat took off!!! To late to make up any ground - so we a few more beers instead!!

From heroes one week to zeros the next!!

Is that the Farr 37 with the great paint job?

First time I have seen her out .......Maybe a contender for the 11 meter div in the crown series?

Must be - we were the only Farr 37 out there........

Don't know about the great paint job - but thanks for noticing

I've had the boat for about 6 months, when she arrived from Sydney the blue was more like chalk with the amount of oxidisation (kinda like red cars go after years in the elements) - however after some serious elbow grease (Frakela G3 & some other type of glaze recommended by Royce from Derwent Marine) it came up very well.....

Would like to race it more but the sails are pretty crap & I can't afford new ones just yet - so it will be Wed nights & family cruising for now.

Any of you Ausis know why there isn't any Cookson 50's on the entry list to the 2007 Sydney to Hobart.

Where is Living Doll, Quantum, and the others? Thanks

Any of you Ausis know why there isn't any Cookson 50's on the entry list to the 2007 Sydney to Hobart.

Where is Living Doll, Quantum, and the others? Thanks

s90 you mite want to try the sydney to hobart o7 thread

This off the front story!

"13.30 start on Friday had us beating upwind amongst an eclectic mix of older Inglis, Farr, Sydney and Davidson designs. I'd heard that Perth was where racing yachts spent their twilight years, Adelaide was the retirement home and Hobart was the final resting place; and this was partially true."

NOT TRUE I SAY!

This off the front story!

"13.30 start on Friday had us beating upwind amongst an eclectic mix of older Inglis, Farr, Sydney and Davidson designs. I'd heard that Perth was where racing yachts spent their twilight years, Adelaide was the retirement home and Hobart was the final resting place; and this was partially true."

NOT TRUE I SAY!

You beat me to it. Love em or hate em - how many Farr 40's are racing in Perth??

One.

How many Inglissseessss u got ? (bugger....)

I think the statement was a bit unfair, you guys had a much more active new boat building scene for a while (when Q and skud were launched... '00 to '01 ish)

But, I think everywhere except Sydney and maybe Melbourne could be considered a graveyard in Aus.

Graveyard as in its where all the GP boats go when they leave Sydney

cheers

SW

Except for those new or near new boat that have turned up here

X- 35

Archie

The boats been built in sheds

and turn ups from the US....

and lots others I dont know about

Sydney and Melbourn are not the only place where inivation, intrest and investment in sailing is happening......

Infact we have a huge advantage with TCO being a lot less than sydney/mel and some world champ sailors out on the water to race against to boot.......

Except for those new or near new boat that have turned up here

X- 35

Archie

The boats been built in sheds

and turn ups from the US....

and lots others I dont know about

Sydney and Melbourn are not the only place where inivation, intrest and investment in sailing is happening......

Infact we have a huge advantage with TCO being a lot less than sydney/mel and some world champ sailors out on the water to race against to boot.......

x-35 and archie's are hardly GP boats... there is money being spent/invested all around Aus, but apart from Hardy's SMB, all of the top boats originate from Syd/Melb

Thats my opinion, which is based on competing in top regatta's in syd/melb/hobart/adelaide and being from perth so I've had a pretty good view of what is where...

Hate to point it out boys but the only Inglis 47 which lived in Tas was ex Melb & old when it went there, then it came here now its gone to unzud. Scavenger which lived in Vic then SA before WA now gives the shags somewhere to live in Geraldton. Ausmaid went Melb- SA- NSW- WA, Wildside: QLD- VIC-QLD-WA, the list goes on. Can't think of any boats that have gone from here to SA or Tas except Prime Ex which went WA-Vic-SA. (There're probably more- feel free to add to the list)

-methinks the Mex needs more research, or a better editor

t

ps: please note Taswegians that The Mexican is not from WA, just here for the event. The opinion expressed hails from the east somewhere.

but don't get me wrong, Hobart's a graveyard too. ART is right, Syd is where its at, Melb close behind, small flashes elsewhere

t

x-35 and archie's are hardly GP boats... there is money being spent/invested all around Aus, but apart from Hardy's SMB, all of the top boats originate from Syd/Melb

Thats my opinion, which is based on competing in top regatta's in syd/melb/hobart/adelaide and being from perth so I've had a pretty good view of what is where...

Nice to hear you mention the top Regattas they run in Syd/Melb/HOB/and Adelaide.Competition must be good.