MarchHare

Hobart Scene

I looked for that photo of the original Wild Thing in a blow during a S2H showing the hull mostly out of the water, checked two sites, Bennett and the CYCA, but no luck.......it was front cover Australian Sailing also as I remember.

I thought that photo was from the Melbourne to Hobart.. although I have been wrong in the past.

I have an older boat and I love it. It is my way of getting to spend time with my mates.

We are giving DIV 1 a crack in her as well. It is also good because I canstep up to go out on more modern races down here as well and race with them. Best of both worlds!

I looked for that photo of the original Wild Thing in a blow during a S2H showing the hull mostly out of the water, checked two sites, Bennett and the CYCA, but no luck.......it was front cover Australian Sailing also as I remember.

Yep. melbourne to hobart.

Im suprised Bennett doesnt have it. He definately took the shot

Yep. melbourne to hobart.

Im suprised Bennett doesnt have it. He definately took the shot

Definitely R Bennett. West Coaster 1990? It was used in one of the Ronstan Catalogues a few years ago too. Can't find mine right now or I would scan it for you.

I thought that photo was from the Melbourne to Hobart.. although I have been wrong in the past.

I'm with you on that one, it was the Melb - Hobart

Yeah, that was in the '90 West Coaster, not S2H, and it is a Bennett shot, there are a few different pics

Also you're right Sportscar, i forgot about Wild One, (they've been very forgetable over here)

This is where most Inglises have come to die, but they're bloody good fun in a honking sea breeze till then

Hey Sparky - the mockery says your crew has 50 Sydney Hobarts and 2 AC's among them. :o Which rock stars have you recruited?? :D

Hey Sparky - the mockery says your crew has 50 Sydney Hobarts and 2 AC's among them. :o Which rock stars have you recruited?? :D

Sorry, at this point that is sensitive Clearance Ultra information.

Don't worry, we won't allow Coutts and Schnackenberg to call tactics, they'll be grinders :-)

Disc laimer:

(for those readers with a reduced ability to detect irony, subtlety or seppo/tassie humour, neither Russell Coutts nor Tom Schnak will be aboard, Unless plans change there will however be at least the following aboard:

1 clueless owner

1 less clueless owner (I leave it to you to decide which is which)

50+ Sydney Hobart experiences

1 or 2 Americas cup experiences

1 extensively experienced former Banks strait fisherman

1 Partridge in a pear tree

1 Bowman who enjoys putting embarrassing stuff on the top of Planet-X's mast

He was also the only one to survive a dunking of the "great dinghy incedent" at the same event.........

Sorry, at this point that is sensitive Clearance Ultra information.

Don't worry, we won't allow Coutts and Schnackenberg to call tactics, they'll be grinders :-)

Disc laimer:

(for those readers with a reduced ability to detect irony, subtlety or seppo/tassie humour, neither Russell Coutts nor Tom Schnak will be aboard, Unless plans change there will however be at least the following aboard:

1 clueless owner

1 less clueless owner (I leave it to you to decide which is which)

50+ Sydney Hobart experiences

1 or 2 Americas cup experiences

1 extensively experienced former Banks strait fisherman

1 Partridge in a pear tree

Say what you saying here Sparky is that one of crew claims to have done more Sydney Hobarts than Bennetto????

How old would that make him, 68 or 69 :P:P

Say what you saying here Sparky is that one of crew claims to have done more Sydney Hobarts than Bennetto????

He didnt say yacht race ,did he. Ive had plenty of Syd/Hob experiences and Im sure he could dig up a few that have had over 50 Syd/Hob experiences.Jetstar fly in a few times a day

One of my crew reckons he's done two SBSC Sail Backwards Championships (including Skiff Wheelstand Titles). :o

I never said that one of our crew had done 50+ Sydney Hobarts. Thats the agregate total number of SH's that it seems the entire crew has done. When you distribute 50 over 6 of the crewmembers (Me, Ms Sparky and one other have never done a SH) it's a lot easier to believe.

He didnt say yacht race ,did he. Ive had plenty of Syd/Hob experiences and Im sure he could dig up a few that have had over 50 Syd/Hob experiences.Jetstar fly in a few times a day

I hadn't considered that but you're correct Stains. By your criteria the crew has probably done hundreds of Sydney Hobarts.

Also, one could consider that drinking a cup of coffee in America means you've done an American cup, well, the mind boggles.

I was once at the Olympic in New York (or Chicago, it's faded from my nearly 60YO brain). It's a restaurant in a hotel.

Of course if you came along on the Launceston Hobart (and you know that you're welcome anytime) then I could say that we also have aboard the man who has handed out more ginger based anti-seasick pills than anyone else in Australia.

Harrrahhh.......sorry its late Im at work and sparky is on fire......

Tides at low head.....add 2 hours for swan Iland...........

Fri 28 Sat 29

Time Ht Time Ht

0244 3.18 0334 3.17

0902 0.74 0954 0.67

1445 3.10 1543 3.02

2122 0.22 2211 0.34

Race starts at 1 ish??????

this means the tide will be pushing us along for a while.......I take it its the hope to get the fleet through banks strait before the tide turns....... heres hoping for a stinking north westerly/ westerly to get around the top and off down the coast!!!!

I would hate to be doing 5 knots into a header with a 3+ knot tide against us.......:-(

do we have to go inside Maria?

Who is doing the Maria?

X - Rated is....

Harrrahhh.......sorry its late Im at work and sparky is on fire......

Tides at low head.....add 2 hours for swan Iland...........

Fri 28 Sat 29

Time Ht Time Ht

0244 3.18 0334 3.17

0902 0.74 0954 0.67

1445 3.10 1543 3.02

2122 0.22 2211 0.34

Race starts at 1 ish??????

this means the tide will be pushing us along for a while.......I take it its the hope to get the fleet through banks strait before the tide turns....... heres hoping for a stinking north westerly/ westerly to get around the top and off down the coast!!!!

I would hate to be doing 5 knots into a header with a 3+ knot tide against us.......:-(

do we have to go inside Maria?

Who is doing the Maria?

X - Rated is....

Let's hope you're calling the shots on the X then Snoopy, three hours head start will do us nicely.

I could not see the start time any where and I was trying to figure out the start time off the count down clock but I had a problem with my brain.......

This means they will be starting as the tide flows in......hope they start us off shore a bit.....and that there is wind......I hate offshore and no wind

P

Hey Snoopy, the latest Australian Sailing has a three-page article on barging at the start. Can you read it before tomorrow's race please?

Hey Snoopy, the latest Australian Sailing has a three-page article on barging at the start. Can you read it before tomorrow's race please?

Him & half the fleet :blink:

Just kidding; I'm never close enough to the line; I wouldn't know what a barge at the start was if one fell out of a tree and bit my ears off. ;)

I would but I cant read, no pink elephants here........

Friday night was a great race, good fun out on the water better been on the water than in a pub near the water on a friday night.....

good backing it up the next day at the RYCT pennent day races....

HAve been toying with the idea, Alf the flying dutchman and I were discussing it but I left it too late to organise everything this year(too much on). I am only doing the royal Pennant any way no regattas so the cost probabley out ways the benifit.... A bit disapointed that there are not more similar boats our size out there, a few boats said they were planning on racing but I think they had issues with crew.

The first race we were in a bit of a rush and I was a bit slow off the start, but the second race better and we were more on the ball...the fore decky did a good job considering it was the first time in a long time that he has been on the fore deck. A bit unfortunate that we tore the main in the first Pennant, we would have been in the hunt...

The same group of guys are sailing from winter which has been great for the boat and we had a competitive handy cap from the winter. Keeps us on our toes. The Handi cap will go up no doubt so there are a few ideas we have to improve to match it creeping up.....

we are doing better and better in her have to work to get her on the plain but once there the speed creeps up a knot or two.

Have to get a new kite as the ones we have are a bit old.....

Tracento is doing really well......

Good to see Diane (Asylum) and Sal (archie) doing well on friday night, we had a good tussle with archie which was good,

Good to see smaller boats out there as well, competition is heating up.....

Rumor mill is turning about TWO more farr 40 coming to hobart anyone know the Goss????

Rumor mill is turning about TWO more farr 40 coming to hobart anyone know the Goss????

No more than I have already told you.

Good breeze & good fun racing last night. At least 4 or 5 boats looked to be OCS at the start in Div1, but maybe, since most of them were BYC boats, the box decided to let it go. Plenty of carnage and near misses - "The Slow Moving Depression" and "Helsal however many it is" had some fun: It was Snoopy's fault; he passed in front of the 'clone's bow with only about 50 foot of clearance, "forcing them" (sic) to crash tack onto port in front of Helsal... I laughed so hard I nearly spilled my can... (especially since our old shitter had crossed in fromt of cyclone too)... pity we then overlaid the mark by about 300m.... bah! Still, another good night, and Hughie didn't tell any jokes, so we have to be happy! Congrats to Masquerade on a 1 second win, and to snoopy for a dodgy bottle of plonk.

Hey Guys,

Can anyone give me an update on a little white and red 24 footer called Trumps? Last time I saw her she was at BYC and had been seen racing a little. My Dad built her in Launceston but sold her before she wass completely finished.

Cheers.

Hey Guys,

Can anyone give me an update on a little white and red 24 footer called Trumps? Last time I saw her she was at BYC and had been seen racing a little. My Dad built her in Launceston but sold her before she wass completely finished.

Cheers.

Royce Salter (runs Derwent Marine with Don Bailey) bought her. You can be assured that the boat is being well looked after going by the standard of his work around town.

Kept on a mooring in Prince of Wales Bay - just off their workshops.......

Royce Salter (runs Derwent Marine with Don Bailey) bought her. You can be assured that the boat is being well looked after going by the standard of his work around town.

Kept on a mooring in Prince of Wales Bay - just off their workshops.......

Cheers for the info, that's great news. My Dad built her over 10 years and I still have the photo of me laying the last plank!!!

They have got a very well built boat there that will never show her planks!!!!

Looks like I picked a good day not to go sailing on Saturday thanks to a self-induced illness. A pox on whoever invented the concept of sambucca shots.

Another great BYC race last night; perfect breeze and a good course. I am really enjoying the midweek sailing. Congrats to Snoopy on yet another bottle of wine and the Masquerade crew on another sterling performance.

Now I get to eat some humble pie: It has become apparent that some people were less than happy with some of my comments about boats being over the line in last week's race. I have to say that I was spreading malicious gossip, because we were, typically, sufficiently far from the line when the gun went that we were in no position to call it, but I was merely reporting it exactly as it was told to me (by whom shall remain a secret). The thing is, this is Sailing Anarchy, and as such, in my opinion, slander, lies and innuendo should be expected - this isn't a statutory declaration, but an irrreverent website where we talk bullshit, exaggerate and try to not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Nevertheless, I would like to go on record as saying that I think that the race officers do a great job and probably don't get the credit that they deserve for giving up their time to facillitate our fun. Rest assured that If I actually thought that I had a valid complaint I would speak up, in person, face to face, not anonymously on a website. Sorry for any offence caused. Given that this thread is obviously perused by those that I have offended, I assume that this is as good a place to make a public apology as anywhere?

Another great BYC race last night; perfect breeze and a good course. I am really enjoying the midweek sailing. Congrats to Snoopy on yet another bottle of wine and the Masquerade crew on another sterling performance.

Now I get to eat some humble pie: It has become apparent that some people were less than happy with some of my comments about boats being over the line in last week's race. I have to say that I was spreading malicious gossip, because we were, typically, sufficiently far from the line when the gun went that we were in no position to call it, but I was merely reporting it exactly as it was told to me (by whom shall remain a secret). The thing is, this is Sailing Anarchy, and as such, in my opinion, slander, lies and innuendo should be expected - this isn't a statutory declaration, but an irrreverent website where we talk bullshit, exaggerate and try to not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Nevertheless, I would like to go on record as saying that I think that the race officers do a great job and probably don't get the credit that they deserve for giving up their time to facillitate our fun. Rest assured that If I actually thought that I had a valid complaint I would speak up, in person, face to face, not anonymously on a website. Sorry for any offence caused. Given that this thread is obviously perused by those that I have offended, I assume that this is as good a place to make a public apology as anywhere?

Just thought you should be on the front page again.

Another splendid night for lwilight racing last night. Snoopy won yet another bottle of wine (that makes 3 in 3 weeks; bloody alchy). Congratulations to Southern Star on a clear win (nearly 3 minutes) and for the unusual tactic of calling for water as they sailed away from the shore ;) (Isn't it funny how whenever there is any yelling & screaming going on, Fine Cotton is always close by?) B) Seriously, though, Southern Star sailed really well last night. Masquerade continues to be the form boat and clear leads the series, although Black Magic is in 3rd despite 2 non starts!

Division 2 continues to proide some excellent racing with Shadofax & Singapore Girl sharing the honours last night, although The Goodies continues to lead the series.

Huey managed to tell the same joke for the second week in a row, and it wasn't any funnier the second time around (nor the first for that matter). At least it was a short. Need some new material Huey? Ask Steven Keal how to raise sal - that could be good for a few giggles (sorry Kealy). :)

unusual tactic of calling for water as they sailed away from the shore ;)

H'mm - bit of a grey area this one.....

We were almost on the bricks sailing on stbd tack - knew we couldn't cross that 50'er if we tacked but we kept going knowing that they would have to tack due to their draft. Came to the stage where we were rapidly running out of water & we had to tack. Called water (before we tacked as per 19.1) they were probably a bit far away to hear us & didn't respond - but they had heaps of speed over us (we are only 37') and we tacked before we ripped the keel off.

By the time we were close hauled on the new tack - they called us to keep clear with a few expletives thrown if for good measure - it was not safe for us to tack back so we kept going. Rule 19.1 is not really clear on how long these rights last for - but safety is the overriding factor.....

Its a real pain starting from that line in a SE'ly especially in a mixed fleet - some major damage has been caused over the years with this type of incident - people should remember it's only a beercan race!!

Didn't hear anything from the boys on Fine Cotton - think most of it was coming from us - we can give as good as we get!!

Anyway - got to do something about that No1 headsail of ours - saw a few decent size pieces of mylar fly off the sail with each tack.... Would win the ulgy sail comp easy!!

H'mm - bit of a grey area this one.....

We were almost on the bricks sailing on stbd tack - knew we couldn't cross that 50'er if we tacked but we kept going knowing that they would have to tack due to their draft. Came to the stage where we were rapidly running out of water & we had to tack. Called water (before we tacked as per 19.1) they were probably a bit far away to hear us & didn't respond - but they had heaps of speed over us (we are only 37') and we tacked before we ripped the keel off.

By the time we were close hauled on the new tack - they called us to keep clear with a few expletives thrown if for good measure - it was not safe for us to tack back so we kept going. Rule 19.1 is not really clear on how long these rights last for - but safety is the overriding factor.....

Its a real pain starting from that line in a SE'ly especially in a mixed fleet - some major damage has been caused over the years with this type of incident - people should remember it's only a beercan race!!

Didn't hear anything from the boys on Fine Cotton - think most of it was coming from us - we can give as good as we get!!

Anyway - got to do something about that No1 headsail of ours - saw a few decent size pieces of mylar fly off the sail with each tack.... Would win the ulgy sail comp easy!!

It maybe a twlight but, it is still competitive I love them and BYC do a great job on and off the water with them and I'm out there to push the boat and enjoy moving off the bow and playing on the Main learning heaps.

As for the Fine Cotton Crew if your not in the thick of it your not trying.

Fun boat to sail great bunch of people..Sail hard Party hard...

There is more than enough water along that shore for a Far37 to almost touch the rock with your hands (not that you would) before the keel touches, you actually can sail right past the point!!!!!!!!!!!.

Other boats weren't close enough for you to call water rights on anyway, as Fine Cotton did when they tacked out they dipped Cyclone as they tacked out.

If you had of hit Cyclone (or them you) you would have lost the protest as did the vessle who hit Zipplen about 12 months ago in the same spot.

Once you tack onto port you lose all rights in this incident.

Finally the use on the C word :angry: really isn't needed under any circumstance, not even in the pennant races on the weekends

That could be classed as a breach of Rule 69, But maybe we shouldn't go back down that road AGAIN. :huh: ...

It maybe a twlight but, it is still competitive I love them and BYC do a great job on and off the water with them and I'm out there to push the boat and enjoy moving off the bow and playing on the Main learning heaps.

As for the Fine Cotton Crew if your not in the thick of it your not trying.

Fun boat to sail great bunch of people..Sail hard Party hard...

There is more than enough water along that shore for a Far37 to almost touch the rock with your hands (not that you would) before the keel touches, you actually can sail right past the point!!!!!!!!!!!.

Other boats weren't close enough for you to call water rights on anyway, as Fine Cotton did when they tacked out they dipped Cyclone as they tacked out.

If you had of hit Cyclone (or them you) you would have lost the protest as did the vessle who hit Zipplen about 12 months ago in the same spot.

Once you tack onto port you lose all rights in this incident.

Finally the use on the C word :angry: really isn't needed under any circumstance, not even in the pennant races on the weekends

That could be classed as a breach of Rule 69, But maybe we shouldn't go back down that road AGAIN. :huh: ...

From my recollection we were pretty darn close to the bricks (whats that noise - oh only the depth alarm!!) besides its my boat & therefore my call in deciding whether it is prudent to go any further - unless you want to pay for the damage that is - wouldn't mind a new keel!!

When you say that the others were not close enough - are you taking into account that Cyclone had a heap more pace than us and therefore covers that distance in a shorter amount of time? Yes it would be different if the boats were similar in size & relative speed you would expect to be closer.... We were further advanced than you - ducking after the tack was not really an option here. We called for room taking all the factors into account - thats what the rule is for!

I think you are not quite right in saying that you loose all rights when on Port - Rule 19.1 is pretty specific...

Cyclone should have tacked as soon as possible after we hailed or called "you tack" in which case we would have tacked (on to port) and they would have to give us room - Rule 10 (boats on opposite tacks) and 13 (while tacking) do not apply when this rule is in force.

19.1 does say that "... she shall not hail unless safety requires her to make a substantial course change....." suppose that why I said it is a bit of a grey area as it is hard to be objective as this means different things to different people - there is not a definition of safety in the blue book.

If Cyclone wanted to take it further then they should have proceeded with a protest - pretty sure one of their crew said later they had a gear problem & could not tack - don't know how true this was - maybe they were bluffing.

I don't know if the Zepplin thing could be used as a precedent - unless you were there (ie on either boat or a witness), you don't know what & how the evidence was presented and why the committee came up with that result - my spies tell me the outcome it was a bit dodgy... (now that is rule 69 material...)

As for the language thing - it happens......

I wasn't having a go at the boys on southern Star, just "spicing the pie". i was impressed how well you had the boat going, both uphill and down.

I don't claim to be any sort of expert on the rules at all, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that asking for water requires that you be given enough room to tack into some water. Once you have tacked out from the shore (onto port tack) you don't have any right to a close hauled course, but you do have the right to the duck sterns of every boat on starboard, so, in your case, if, when you had tacked out you could avoid boats that were on starboord by ducking (and, indeed, sailing back towards the starting line), that was what would be expected. Please explain if I am misunderstanding what happened or misunderstanding the rules. I re-emphasise that I am not "having a go" (and wasn't close enough to call myself "involved"), but I am keen to undestand the rule more clearly than I currently do. If anyone else has am opinon on how the rule is generally interpretted, please feel free to chime in...

Back on topic... I am loving the twilight racing. The breeze has been great the last couple of weeks and the courses just long enough to work up a decent thirst (and to have a good go at quenching it). It is important, I think, to strike a balance between racing competetively and having fun and keeping in mind that it is only a twilight race. I too have been guilty of using expletives under stress, but try to avoid it as a rule.

Hello there.....I wish they had protested southern star because I came second AGAIN and if Fish frensy had won the protest I would have got the Tee Shirt!!!!!!! :P

There is a rules night at the DSS coming up (monday the 26th I think) I am going.......I am always intrested and keen to learn the more on the rules and the interpritation. Some good books at this link

http://landfallnav.com/bookssailing.html

This is a question of timing, one could argue that there was a need to tack and room to do so, which was given how ever there is no need to give room for a course to be held I think port and starboard would have come into it at this stage, But I was not on etheir boat and did not know the speeds ect of the boats, on harm done in the end except the tshirt still alluding me!

I think the BYC and the atmosphere there is great...that is why I like it, aand doing the races, we had 5 crew with 3 new people to the boat and 1 of those never sailed before, great way to introduce new people to the sport with the cources and the atmospher afterwards. They all want to come again.

I noticed the bar room committee giving me heaps for going across the commodor ferry line on saturday, how ever it is along way from the BYC bar to the ferry terminal and what people failed to notice was the little red ferry was exiting the area at the same time as we were heading off following it out of the area and people on the ferry waving at the people on the shore I think there was a wedding on or somthing........there was heaps of distance between us and the ferry and the ferry was holding position......the captain even gave us a friendly wave.........oh well you have to take it all in good humor.

As for fine cotton always being around when there is noise, you should see us when we get locked in a Bar with no RUM!

Guys - it is with regret that I note the passing of Bruce Calvert - a memorial service will be held tommorrow, Friday at 11.00 (refer Mercury).

Fair sailing Bruce......

Weyalan,

It's OK I know you weren't having a go - I like to "spice the pipe" up a bit myself - hence my post. Slow day at work here you see... Guess I was trying to explain what happened & that we were a bit pissed that Cyclone didn't respond to our call for water (while we were both on Stbd tack...).

The rule does not mention that the hailing boat (us) does not have rights to sail close hauled after we tack. The rule is for close hauled boats so I guess it implies that when the hailing boat tacks, she will sail a close hauled course after the tack. The onus is very much on the hailed boat to keep clear in both the options they have opened to them - see copy of rule 19.1 from RRS.

19 ROOM TO TACK AT AN OBSTRUCTION

19.1 When approaching an obstruction, a boat sailing close-hauled or

above may hail for room to tack and avoid another boat on the same

tack. However, she shall not hail unless safety requires her to make

a substantial course change to avoid the obstruction. Before tacking

she shall give the hailed boat time to respond. The hailed boat shall

respond by either

(a) tacking as soon as possible, in which case the hailing boat shall

also tack as soon as possible, or

(B) immediately replying ‘You tack’, in which case the hailing boat

shall tack as soon as possible and the hailed boat shall give room,

and rules 10 and 13 do not apply.

19.2 Rule 19.1 does not apply at a starting mark surrounded by navigable

water or at its anchor line from the time boats are approaching them

to start until they have passed them or at a mark that the hailed boat

can fetch. When rule 19.1 applies, rule 18 does not.

The problem with this rule is it is open to interpretation on what is "safe". To me with the depth sounder alarm going off and only a boat length or so from the bricks we had no option to tack when we did..... It was therefore unsafe for us to continue unless we dropped the wheels down & went up Dillon St Bellerive...

Two more thoughts for the day:

i) I have just checked with the DS - the Rules Night that Snoopy mentioned is on Monday 26th Nov (i.e. this coming Monday) at 7:30pm. I, for one, will make an effort to be there.

ii) I note that there is currently an 8man RFD liferaft for sale on eBay for $1500. It claims to be currently in AYF Cat1 survey (with ePIRB fitted), so for people struggling to find a raft for Syd/Melb/Launnie - Hobart, might want to take a look

Guys - it is with regret that I note the passing of Bruce Calvert - a memorial service will be held tommorrow, Friday at 11.00 (refer Mercury).

Fair sailing Bruce......

RIP Bruce....

Fair sailing Bruce......

So sad to hear of Bruce's passing. Especially as he was one of us here...

May his sailing be forever broad reaches on a heavenly Thommo.

Great bloke, great sailor, gone too soon. :(

Hello there.....I wish they had protested southern star because I came second AGAIN and if Fish frensy had won the protest I would have got the Tee Shirt!!!!!!! :P

Snoopy the Tee Shirts aren't that big !!

Fair sailing Bruce......

Rip Bruce.

A great competitor on the water & a genuine nice bloke.

Sadly missed

RIP Bruce. The one day I don't check SA or the Mercury. I'm truly sorry to have missed the service. A top guy. Sail on.

Weyalan,

It's OK I know you weren't having a go - I like to "spice the pipe" up a bit myself - hence my post. Slow day at work here you see... Guess I was trying to explain what happened & that we were a bit pissed that Cyclone didn't respond to our call for water (while we were both on Stbd tack...).

The rule does not mention that the hailing boat (us) does not have rights to sail close hauled after we tack. The rule is for close hauled boats so I guess it implies that when the hailing boat tacks, she will sail a close hauled course after the tack. The onus is very much on the hailed boat to keep clear in both the options they have opened to them - see copy of rule 19.1 from RRS.

19 ROOM TO TACK AT AN OBSTRUCTION

19.1 When approaching an obstruction, a boat sailing close-hauled or

above may hail for room to tack and avoid another boat on the same

tack. However, she shall not hail unless safety requires her to make

a substantial course change to avoid the obstruction. Before tacking

she shall give the hailed boat time to respond. The hailed boat shall

respond by either

(a) tacking as soon as possible, in which case the hailing boat shall

also tack as soon as possible, or

(B) immediately replying ‘You tack’, in which case the hailing boat

shall tack as soon as possible and the hailed boat shall give room,

and rules 10 and 13 do not apply.

19.2 Rule 19.1 does not apply at a starting mark surrounded by navigable

water or at its anchor line from the time boats are approaching them

to start until they have passed them or at a mark that the hailed boat

can fetch. When rule 19.1 applies, rule 18 does not.

The problem with this rule is it is open to interpretation on what is "safe". To me with the depth sounder alarm going off and only a boat length or so from the bricks we had no option to tack when we did..... It was therefore unsafe for us to continue unless we dropped the wheels down & went up Dillon St Bellerive...

That is why it is good to have a "healthy" SA Discussion, you see something on the water or involved in something.

Getting the chance to discuss with others seeing there pionts of view of what they have seen or heard, we learn more on the rules and how to sail around hobart.

But most of all I just love getting in and stirring up a few people, some just don't know how to take it and thats the best part.....

RIP Bruce. The one day I don't check SA or the Mercury. I'm truly sorry to have missed the service. A top guy. Sail on.

I never was given the chance to meet Bruce, but have only heard good thing from those in the sailing community.

My thoughts are with his Family and Crew.

Hard Maria this year, Sitting on the deck drinking G/Ts watching Sorroco slip through the fleet....

Whats the goss from Maria? Dr Who was first home, but not by much... and Creative Intension was only just in front of the Archie 35, Asylum, etc. Anyone did it want to give us the "good oil"?

Shit happens for us .........

Despite being a very light race (which generally is not our forte) we were reasonably happy with getting to the top of Maria as third boat behind Dr Who and Host Plus - well done Jeff.

We were quite light on for the race, suffering a lack of bodies with only 5 crew.

We chose to try our old trick of cutting close along the shore at the top of Maria, as this had worked for us every time in the past, and we almost succeed. Were weren't far off Who and Host when the breeze died out completely, leaving us for about 6 hours watching Jeff about 400 meters away wallowing around, as almost everyone sailed past us, bar Auspray!

By the time we got going again everyone had done a horizon job. This restart didn't last for long and just below the bottom of Maria we hit another dead calm spot and this time the shaking of the rig from the confused sea was just too much. After about an hour of this we decided to pull the pin as several crew had commitments on Sunday. We also had several bad instances of weed which we had to back off and I think we still have some passengers around the rudder shaft which affected boat speed significantly as well.

On returning back home, we also found that we had probably had a failure of of the seal for the speed transducer resulting in about 500 litres of water in the boat below the floorboards, hence probably the reason why our boat speed was down from our targets for the most of the race - we had the log out of the boat whilst we did the major hull job and it appears it may not have sealed correctly when being put back in. I suspect the O ring has failed.

Well done to Sally and Rees's.....

Asylum had a good race. As 42 South has said, it was quite light and patchy at times, with 8 - 12 knots of breeze between the light spots.

We hit our last hole about 200 metres north of the Hippo's where we happily splashed about with Archie and Whistler till the breeze came in (and then some). Unfortunately they made the correct decision (inshore of the Hippolytes) and we didn't and that cost us about 10 - 15 minutes, which turned out to be the most of the difference between 2nd and 4th for line honours.

WHen the breeze came in north of Tasmani there was a highly stressed call for a team to reef the main and 'pass that #5 heady up here NOW". Unfortunately the #5 hadn't been battened so we settled on the heavy #1 and a single reef.

Around Tasman it was pretty rough and lots of wind. Just past Raoul it started to settle down and the seas shrank a bit so no more heavy pounding or water over the boat. At its worst there were things flying around inside the cabin because they were secured for calm water, not for offshore. I was almost beaned by a half full bottle of Mt Gay that had inadvertantly been left in the galley - it was as if HH the Flying Spaghetti Monster in the sky had seen our plight and sent liquid encouragement.

We had a good race with 42 South most of the way to the North end of Maria, where they chose to go in and we chose to go a few miles out to sea. Inshore was a honey trap for a number of boats who pretty much all got stuck for hours while we were able to get as far as the Hippolytes.

The Admiral spent today bailing "tons" of water out of the boat and drying things out. Nothing broke and We gained a whole lot of respect for the toughness of Sydney 38's and also for our team, some of whom worked on deck for several wet and cold hours in the worst conditions taking care of the boat and the crew.

Congrats to all who participated but specially to Whistler and Archie and Dr Who who beat us home.

The rules night at the DSS last night was, for me at least, well worthwhile. Many thanks to Peter Geeves and the panel of experts.

The rules night at the DSS last night was, for me at least, well worthwhile. Many thanks to Peter Geeves and the panel of experts.

Was Snoopy there to have his favourite rule explained to him?

Maybe he was off transgressing my favourite rule - bringing the sport of sailing (and himself) into disrepute. :lol::lol::lol:

I was disappointed that there wasn't any discussion of the "Pretend not to see the other boat" rule last night. You know, the rule where if you can pretend not to be aware of a starboard tacker long enough to cause them to flinch, then look innocent afterward, it's legal. There seems to be some of that going on out on the Derwent these days. If the other boat takes exception then you go to the "Pretend not to hear them" rule.

All of the above are trumped, of course, by the "Pretend to protest where no rule has been broken" rule, which involves the rapid display of a red flag, a loud yell of protest, and nothing further until the flag is discreetly removed before the finish and no protest is filed even if the other boat did not do turns. Fortunately there hasn't been much of this one on the river.

Is that the pink elephant rule?

more elephants I say!

Protest should be seen as a good thing, because there are times when the result comes down on timing. the emotion needs to be taken out of the protest room.

So any more goss on the two new Farr 40's that are supposed to be on the way, one for the abalone diver from Sandy Bay who likes looking out the window at the five racing now and who thinks it looks like fun, and the other for the syndicate from down the Huon? As for the latter I can say that 1) it's not me, and 2) it's apparently not one of the prominent Huon sailing families that are the opposite of blunt.

So any more goss on the two new Farr 40's that are supposed to be on the way, one for the abalone diver from Sandy Bay who likes looking out the window at the five racing now and who thinks it looks like fun, and the other for the syndicate from down the Huon? As for the latter I can say that 1) it's not me, and 2) it's apparently not one of the prominent Huon sailing families that are the opposite of blunt.

Not for un-blunt you say? Who else down the Huon would bother with a boat that would require them to commute to Sandy Bay every weekend?

If this keeps up then the only boats left racing in Hobart will be 7 Farr 40's with all of the impressionable younger sailors aboard and a bunch of other boats inhabited largely by the geriatric or pre-geriatric crowd. (the latter would properly describe me).

I understand the attraction of one design racing but I struggle to understand why a 9-10 crew Farr 40 fleet is seen as delivering better racing than, for example, an Adams 10 fleet or any of a number of other O.D. keelboats, large and small, that are a hell of a lot cheaper to run and relatively stress free regarding crew recruitment, retention and management.

Not for un-blunt you say? Who else down the Huon would bother with a boat that would require them to commute to Sandy Bay every weekend?

If this keeps up then the only boats left racing in Hobart will be 7 Farr 40's with all of the impressionable younger sailors aboard and a bunch of other boats inhabited largely by the geriatric or pre-geriatric crowd. (the latter would properly describe me).

I understand the attraction of one design racing but I struggle to understand why a 9-10 crew Farr 40 fleet is seen as delivering better racing than, for example, an Adams 10 fleet or any of a number of other O.D. keelboats, large and small, that are a hell of a lot cheaper to run and relatively stress free regarding crew recruitment, retention and management.

I agree Sparky. Spent some time a few years ago racing with the J24 OD Fleet. Good Fun, Close Racing & the average boat only costs around the price of a new Farr 40 Regatta Main !!

Last night's BYC twilight race was another ripper; great breeze and a good fleet. Black Magic was flying, courtesy of the new boom 7 mainsail combination. Snoopy won a bottle of red wine for the 4th week in a row (I'm starting to smell a conspiracy). Insatiable was sadly lacking in "get up and go" - must be time for a bottom scrub.

Cos its about the wank factor with those guys as much as the sailing. Isnt that obvoius???

Good on them for having a crack I say...... all though I would like to see a series out in storm bay to reduce the influence of the land on the breezes, true team tactics and skill. And maybe a national championship down here? that would put Tassie sailing on the map. Maybe a farr 40 national title after sailing south/sydney hobart period????

As for the rest of us I think the coastal offshore series is an interesting development and would like to see it grow next year.

the best OD in my opinion is Ettchels, most of the current farr 40 owners came from them.

3 man team fast racing, cheep.....all good

there used to be 12 in Hobart, now they are split between Cygnet and the Tamar river, good boats for the river.

there were a good number of skilled crew out there at that time. I think a few have given it away to be with young families.

Last night Christmas pudding, cream and brandy sauce on the race course, good fun.

to address crew issues, each boat should encourage current crew to bring a person from their place of work to start bringing more people into the sport.....we seem to have had a few more people along who are having fun.....

Survival of the fittest and there fore innovation in attracting crew is required........

Cos its about the wank factor with those guys as much as the sailing. Isnt that obvoius???

You people love your Hobart F40 fleet don't you. Don't let them worry you too much, it is a cycle, in 5-10 years they will be just a memory and people will move back to divisional racing. The thing is though when that happens, then Division 1 will be the wankers, it is pretty hard to please some. Assume they are the quickest/best funded things on the Derwent currently, best thing you could do is get yourself on one.

How many F40's you have now? Assume they are racing windward/leewards, not around the river courses?

Storm Bay may be a bit far for them to travel each morning & night. What's that 10 or 11nm?

Mate there are fuckwits everywhere these days, reality is that there will be a greater percentage in a pastime like sailing, get over it.

Look - just to be clear about this...

Not all of us think that people are wankers just because they own or sail on Farr 40's. Most of us who have some social skills (this may leave March Hare out of the equation) know people who are F40 crew members or owners and we know them to be decent people. There are always a few wanks in every crowd but for the most part they're ok.

We do have a bit of a problem at the moment and the impact is felt mostly in the mixed PHS / IRC fleet, particularly in Division 1. Knowledgeable capable crew are becoming pretty scarce for all except the F40's and the average age in the rest of the fleet is going up and in some cases the skill levels are going down.

The only thing I've thought of that might help would be if the F40 fleet sailed on a different day than the mixed pennants - perhaps pennants on Saturday and F40's on Sunday as a one-design start. Lots of the people sailing on F40's are hard core and might sail both days on different boats. Just a thought for the clubs. This would work a lot better with a couple more F40's so they'd always have at least 5-6 starters.

to address crew issues, each boat should encourage current crew to bring a person from their place of work to start bringing more people into the sport.....we seem to have had a few more people along who are having fun.....

Do you want me to bring someone from Centrelink along for you Snoopy? :lol::lol:

Blaming the F40 fleet for your crew deficiencies is ridiculous. It isn't as though Huey (B52?), Boyes (It happens?) or Banger (Breakaway?) didn't have boats before their F40s and boats with almost as many crew. So, with PoW & Voodoo Chile added to the mix, we might be talking about 20 or 25 additional crew positions that may have been "poached" from other boats. Not exactly earth shattering! Put it this way, the introduction of 3 leadmines (Insatiable, Southern Star & Black Magic) to the Hobart Scene has probably put as much pressure for crew as the new F40s!)

It seems to me that the shortage of crew is as much to do with the fact that there are shitloads more boats around than the fact that there are a couple of new F40s around. Kings Pier hasn't been around for that long. Bellerive has built an extra arm on the marina and RYCT is building 100+ extra berths (pretty much all of which are sold, I'm told. This would seem to indicate that there are more boats around. Also, at BYC, the average size of boats seems to be getting bigger and bigger, and as such, bigger boats generally require more crew.

It is easy to take shots at the F40s, but I reckon that if you think they are not a good thing for sailing in Hobart, you have rocks in your heads. Sure, they can be pretty aggressive at the starts, but you don't win races by starting in the third rank of boats. I reckon it is great to see them out their OD racing. If you are gonna blame them for taking crew, are you also gonna blame the Americas Cup boats if they "poach" Tasmanian crew? It isn't like the F40 crew are being press ganged, is it?

This sport in tasmania needs to stop looking internaly where the crews are moving to and fro, and bring more people into the sport at the base level and filter through the respective fleets.........the end

There are twenty three entries in the Launceston to Hobart race so far and that looks to be it unless anyone is prepared to pay the late entry fee. We're really looking forward to it.

When visiting during the week I noticed Octopussy (Austral Clubman 8) in the Royals trailer park. Do you guys know whether Peter has moved down from Wynyard or is there a new owner??

Two Heads

When visiting during the week I noticed Octopussy (Austral Clubman 8) in the Royals trailer park. Do you guys know whether Peter has moved down from Wynyard or is there a new owner??

Two Heads

My understanding is boat has new owner..

A bunch of pirates!

Come on March Hare - identify yourself. You seem to know a lot about us.

March Hare/Oedipus; any news on what boats are coming together to form a Commodore's Cup team - rumours are rife up here. You must have a nice selection of boats to choose from....

March Hare/Oedipus; any news on what boats are coming together to form a Commodore's Cup team - rumours are rife up here. You must have a nice selection of boats to choose from....

Don't know where you heard those rumours from. We have enough trouble getting boats to go to the mainland of Oz for regattas, let alone to the UK.

Anyone know what the rescue helicopter and two police boats were doing just north of the Garrow this afternoon?

They were working the area for quite a while.

Anyone know what the rescue helicopter and two police boats were doing just north of the Garrow this afternoon?

They were working the area for quite a while.

I don't know for sure, but I heard on the radio that police were investigating a reported sighting of a body floating in the Derwent... I'm guessing this is related...

Saw some new photos of Valheru this morning still in the shed, and it looks hot in its new livery - and it's not white!!!

If you have seen the new Flirt in the Melbourne thread that will give you an idea of what to expect - can't wait to see it on the water again, but looks like it's not on for L2H.

She will be one to watch when she comes out.....

I heard a few snippets of interesting gossip regarding deliveries North for the various Syd / Melb / Launceston to Hobart races.... Far be it from me to pass on 2nd hand unverified gossip, so anyone care to fill us in...?

I heard a few snippets of interesting gossip regarding deliveries North for the various Syd / Melb / Launceston to Hobart races.... Far be it from me to pass on 2nd hand unverified gossip, so anyone care to fill us in...?

What kind of gossip?

Asylum left this morning with 4 crew to deliver - I'm driving up Sunday to bring them home. Were going to go last night but one crew came down with a virus so decision was made to delay overnight and avoid some of the worst weather in the dark being a bit short handed.

Ciao Baby left last night to go through Dennison canal this morning.

Lock on Wood is out there somewhere near Marion narrows.

Farr South is leaving about now to go through the canal tomorrow a.m.

Jeff was rumored to be leaving last night.

Whatever the gossip is, you may as well spill it. Saying that there is unverified gossip and then not repeating it is as bad or worse than passing it on :-)

What kind of gossip?

Asylum left this morning with 4 crew to deliver - I'm driving up Sunday to bring them home. Were going to go last night but one crew came down with a virus so decision was made to delay overnight and avoid some of the worst weather in the dark being a bit short handed.

Ciao Baby left last night to go through Dennison canal this morning.

Lock on Wood is out there somewhere near Marion narrows.

Farr South is leaving about now to go through the canal tomorrow a.m.

Jeff was rumored to be leaving last night.

Whatever the gossip is, you may as well spill it. Saying that there is unverified gossip and then not repeating it is as bad or worse than passing it on :-)

Archie leaving early Sunday Morning. Can't miss out on that BYC race on Saturday can we.

Will have 5 in total on board. 3 leaving early Sunday morning with the boat, the other 2 (The lovely owner & myself) intend to meet up with them Sunday afternoon in that lovely coastal resort town of Triabunna. :P

Fair weather to everyone

Please Note that the following "gossip" is 100% unverified, and may well be completely incorrect. I repeat it only because it is a slow friday afternoon. No offense is intended to anybody mentioned:

i) Singapore Girl had a fairly rough delivery, sustaining damage to her mainsail and boom. Some of the delivery crew were less than happy and may even have"jumped ship" in Georgetown.

ii) Granny Apple managed to suck some foreign matter (seaweed?) into their cooling water intake and only just spotted the engine overheating in time to avoid some serious cooking.

Whaever the truth behind the rumours, I wish both boats the very best of luck in the race!

Whats the depth through the canal these days?

Less than a Sydney 38 draws.

As much or more than a J35 draws (hopefully).