• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
K9u20

Older well known IOR Boats

What older well known IOR boats are sailing in your area ?

Where is:

Running Tide

America Jane 3

Williwaw (s)

Locura (s)

Obsession

Aries (s)

Love Machine (s)

Evergreen

Carat (s)

Bull Frog

Ondine (s)

Intuition (s)

The fleet of IOR 50's

ETC

Or the old IOR Maxis...

Kialoa(s)

Windward Passage - Southern Cali

Matador

Ondine

Masker/DanceII

Congere

Boomerang

Sassy - Chicago

etc..

A bunch of the old fifties are in Mexico, still several in the GL as well.

Just that you asked this question shows that you have never steered a Peterson boat downwind in a blow. There is a reason that none of them have dirty spreaders.

Trust me. Bruce Farr and Monique did us all a huge favour.

Who cares where they are. They were bitches of things to sail and stupid designs with the pinched in transoms, fat beams, bumps and all that.

Kialoa, Ondine and Windward Passage were not IOR. That's why they were so good, except for the blue pig.

Several Ondines were IOR designs. Ondine XI and Ondine XII were both designed to the IOR. My opinion is that the IOR rule promoted slower designs then could normally be designed for that size of boat. I am curious as to where they are, not how well or poorly they sail.

Who cares where they are. They were bitches of things to sail and stupid designs with the pinched in transoms, fat beams, bumps and all that.

Kialoa, Ondine and Windward Passage were not IOR. That's why they were so good, except for the blue pig.

The Blue Pig - the '73' Ondine - is now in Seattle sailing as Atalanta. Locally known as "The Lost Continent", it is now mercifully white not that baby blue. Actually raced pretty hard and does OK if there's a breeze at a PHRF rating of 15.

Now Windward Passage was/is an awesome boat.

Ondines III (Chance approx 1974), IV (Milgram 1978?) and V (Frers) were designed to the IOR.

Kialoa III (S&S '74?) and IV (Holland '79?) and V (Frers) were designed to the IOR.

Lots of people found the IOR boats interesting to sail. I wouldn't own any of the heavy boats, but ocean racing around the world was more popular in those days. They were challenging downwind but quite fun in their own way upwind....sure they were slow, but all leadmines are slow for their length and cost.

Clearly you are a young fuck who was not around in the heydey of IOR. Kialoas III to V were IOR designs, and damned good ones. Ondines III to V were IOR as well, although they were not great designs and not nearly as successful as the Kialoas. Before you young shits spout off about the lame IOR designs, I should remind you that many, many international race records were held by these "pigs" for decades, beaten only by $25 million canting keel supermaxis (10 to 20' longer than their IOR counterparts) with full professional crews in ideal conditions. Most IOR Maxis were 78 to 82', had amaeteur goons as crew, and were things of beauty. Beasts to sail, especially downwind, but they were not glorified powerboats like the 30m supermaxis of today. Remember the days of 6 to 10 full on maxis at any given international regatta? Remember the days of a dozen or more 50's lining up against each other during the day and their BN's smoking weed and fucking whores all night long? No? I didn't think so. Piss off. Who really gives a shit if a leadmine goes 15 knots or 25? It's all slow anyways. What matters is how you achieve the speed you do, and the IOR boats did it in bling bling bitchin' style. Everybody, and I mean everybody, had fun in those days. Full stop.

• Like 1

By the way, Kialoa V, one of the most beautiful IOR maxis ever built, was completely butchered by Pendennis shipyards a couple of years ago. She was bought by a tobacco company, painted red, and given a pathetic looking deckhouse. A real shame.

Or the old IOR Maxis...

Kialoa(s)

Windward Passage - Southern Cali

Matador

Ondine

Masker/DanceII

Congere

Boomerang

Sassy - Chicago

etc..

A bunch of the old fifties are in Mexico, still several in the GL as well.

Matador is in the Whitsunday Islands in Queensland, Aust. Doing back packer 2 day charters. A sad end for an awesome boat!

SO is Bumblebee 4 / Ragamuffin... Condor (Holland) Siska IV... Freight Train...

Clearly you are a young fuck who was not around in the heydey of IOR. Kialoas III to V were IOR designs, and damned good ones. Ondines III to V were IOR as well, although they were not great designs and not nearly as successful as the Kialoas. Before you young shits spout off about the lame IOR designs, I should remind you that many, many international race records were held by these "pigs" for decades, beaten only by $25 million canting keel supermaxis (10 to 20' longer than their IOR counterparts) with full professional crews in ideal conditions. Most IOR Maxis were 78 to 82', had amaeteur goons as crew, and were things of beauty. Beasts to sail, especially downwind, but they were not glorified powerboats like the 30m supermaxis of today. Remember the days of 6 to 10 full on maxis at any given international regatta? Remember the days of a dozen or more 50's lining up against each other during the day and their BN's smoking weed and fucking whores all night long? No? I didn't think so. Piss off. Who really gives a shit if a leadmine goes 15 knots or 25? It's all slow anyways. What matters is how you achieve the speed you do, and the IOR boats did it in bling bling bitchin' style. Everybody, and I mean everybody, had fun in those days. Full stop.

Tell em Yaz.

Where are Mr. Jumpa and Sweet Okole. They were IOR and fast.

Just that you asked this question shows that you have never steered a Peterson boat downwind in a blow. There is a reason that none of them have dirty spreaders.

Trust me. Bruce Farr and Monique did us all a huge favour.

Monique Who?

I remember races with 6,7 or 10 IOR Two-tonners running in a breeze side by side, rolling rail to rail, digging trenches in the water, where you could shoot through all the mains in one shot for an entire leg. Awesome racing, felt faster than a space shuttle and took major talent to keep them on their feet. The tactical broach to get to the inside was an interesting piece of the racing strategy kit.

Good sailboats? No. Good raceboats? Uhmmmm. Great fun? Absolutely.

Speaking of old IOR boats: Anybody remember Great Fun?

Oh, BTW: Obsession is running day sails in Puget Sound. The owner races is SC70 instead of blowing up gear on the IOR Maxi.

I remember races with 6,7 or 10 IOR Two-tonners running in a breeze side by side, rolling rail to rail, digging trenches in the water, where you could shoot through all the mains in one shot for an entire leg. Awesome racing, felt faster than a space shuttle and took major talent to keep them on their feet. The tactical broach to get to the inside was an interesting piece of the racing strategy kit.

Great Fun....sunk on the way up the coast on a delivery from SoCal to NorCal a few years ago.

They were fun and challenging to sail fast downwind. Love those bloopers! Still have one on our Pet. 37, but PHRF out here gets you too much to use it. They weren't really all that slow downwind, just rolled more and were more of a handfull. And up wind they were great! Speed is relative though. And that is coming from someone who loved to sail dragons, even in light stuff.

RIP to a good boat. Hope the crew was OK.

Great Fun had a habit of sinking from what I've read (like 3 different times.) Coincidentally, it usually happened with most of the valuable gear stripped off ;) . Very cool boat in spite of the fact it had trouble staying afloat.

An also the toy version of it which I had the chance to sail a few times which was a 1/4 tonner called "Fun". A fast little boat in it's day.

Bullfrog is in Southern Cal, Hippy ownership has her reduced to liveaboard status, she's too big for any Hippy remodels. If you squint your eyes and look thru the rusty bicycles on deck you can still see her Green glory. When I was in the market for a new boat, she was on the market for $160K I called my sail maker and asked what a jib would cost? that ended my fantisy. lot of alimunium and lead.

Saw Mull's Sorcery out on the water a few years ago. Don't know where it lives now, but from a distance she looked as stunning as ever.

Tell em Yaz.

I believe Sweet Okole is still on SF Bay at the Richmond Yacht Club.

The 1981 Choate 40, originally launched in Southern California as Audacious, has been sailing out of Stockton, CA for the last fifteen years as Bottom Line. In the 1981 Transpac, as Audacious, she took second in division to Sweet Okole.

http://www.stocktonsc.org/bl/

She has been for sale for awhile....

The Blue Pig - the '73' Ondine - is now in Seattle sailing as Atalanta. Locally known as "The Lost Continent", it is now mercifully white not that baby blue. Actually raced pretty hard and does OK if there's a breeze at a PHRF rating of 15.

Now Windward Passage was/is an awesome boat.

Here's Atalanta rounding Cape Scott in this year's Van Isle 360

post-5483-1189999886_thumb.jpg

Didn't an old (1979?) IOR 2-tonner come 2nd in this year's Sydney Hobart on IRC?

Well this classic boat won it !

post-5483-1190000163_thumb.jpg

Another golden oldie from San Francisco in the mid 80's - Mad max - Davidson 40 One Ton

Here it is during the van isle 360 this year which it one convincingly.

post-5483-1190000641_thumb.jpg

Oh, BTW: Obsession is running day sails in Puget Sound. The owner races is SC70 instead of blowing up gear on the IOR Maxi.

Asymptote....here's a golden oldie you should recognize.... :rolleyes: just kidding....how's the keel now?

post-5483-1190001856_thumb.jpg

jumpa apparently up in new brunswick.... and according to link, still doing wednesday night races anyway....

rkyc results

/c

Apollo, Condor, Ondine VII, Drumbeat (Congere now Spank Me), Ragamuffin, Broomstick (Marchioness), Hammer of Qld, British Defender and Freight Train are all operating as Charter Boats in Australia's Whitsunday Islands from Ailrie Beach. Go to www.ozsailing.com.au.

These are great boats to sail. Yes they aren't as fast as Wild Oats XI but not many boats around the place are. This is probably the worlds largest operational maritime museum and well worth a walk around the marina.

Any sightings of the little Boomerang?

65 foot Derecktor built, got a cruising interior and was renamed Cheetah III, then I think was renamed Dauntless?

Carina. Pre-IOR design, modified mid-70s keel and rudder. Still being campaigned successfully -- 2006 Bermuda Race - 1st in class/2nd overall under IRC and 1st in class/4th overall under ORR. Successfully raced under IOR, IMS, PHRF, IRC and ORR.

K III after spending years in Brasil was donated last year to OCC in Newport beach. Still lookks classic, but getting a little long in the tooth.

Margaret Rintoul the Freers 50 is still on Lake Huron/St.Clair racing actively. Though big slow slugs, still winning it's fair share of races. I think there are a couple of anarchists here that race on it.

Margaret Rintoul the Freers 50 is still on Lake Huron/St.Clair racing actively. Though big slow slugs, still winning it's fair share of races. I think there are a couple of anarchists here that race on it.

Isn't that the one that got some mixed coverage in "The Training Ground"?

SO is Bumblebee 4 / Ragamuffin... Condor (Holland) Siska IV... Freight Train...

That is Matador2, Goetz built 89-90 in the Whitsundays, Matador Huisman built Bills black boat ex Huaso is in South Africa , think Durban.

All you have to do is keep your eyes open ,old IOR boats litter the landscape.

The tactical broach to get to the inside was an interesting piece of the racing strategy kit.

What do you mean "was" ? :unsure:

Tell em Yaz.

I sailed on Mr. Jumpa in Maine after owner refit her with Mumm 36 keel in 1997; (actually Farr 36 keel before boat was modified to become Mumm 36). Renamed Tamarack. Owner bought her from insurance company after she was totalled- beached by Hurricane Bob- in 1991. Engine was replaced- moved from bow to center of boat. She rated 96 PHRF and in anything ovwer 8 knots was competitive. Owner sold her to guy in St. Johns, New Bruswick, Canada and he still races her there. Loved that boat!!

Didn't an old (1979?) IOR 2-tonner come 2nd in this year's Sydney Hobart on IRC?

No, a 1974 S&S 47 called Love and War won the whole damn thing!

Saw the 50' Jubilation when it landed at Shilshoe once (Earl Miller bought her if I remember) never saw her again, any ideas of her whereabouts?

Carrot was racing on the Ches Bay as late as last year's Annap Race Week.

Haven't seen her around this year, maybe someone else will chime in...

post-1770-1190076798_thumb.jpg

Carrot was racing on the Ches Bay as late as last year's Annap Race Week.

Haven't seen her around this year, maybe someone else will chime in...

post-1770-1190076798_thumb.jpg

She was there at Annapolis Race Week this year.

Sailed on her some a few years ago. A Mull 46 built in the mid-70s, IIRC. Originally named Gonnagitcha, donated to USNA and renamed Reprisal. First owner after USNA kept the name and the current owner christened her Carrot. Great guy and a fun crew.

Once drove her for hours on a windy Gov Cup back in the late 80s - early 90s (the memory is a little hazy from the beer fronts that used to roll thru). The same race where Air Mail got t-boned at night. Anyway, she digs a pretty big hole in the water in 15 knots of breeze and does about 9 knots. In 20-25, the hole gets a little deeper and the speed is around 10.5. In 30 knots, the speed is the same and the hole is deeper still. She sure does roll like has been mentioned here.

(edit) I notice that they are sailing with Dick on board in that photo. He was always the "Designated Adult". When he wasn't on board, we sailed "Dick-less".

Drive on. (and keep the boat under the stick)

some threads with pics from congere (the one lost in the southern brasilian coast during a buenos aires - rio race). now living in porto alegre, as a converted cruising maxi.

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...&hl=congere

I can't fucking believe I can "lay the smacketh down" like I did and remain unchallenged. Un fucking believeable.

As an aside, any of you older douches remember the Irwin 43 "Razzle Dazzle" of SORC fame? Total Guns 'N Roses.

Our family owns a UFO 34, think its a 3/4 tonner, We don't race it anymore been converted to a family cruiser, but when we raced it we had a shit load of fun, I was only young but i still had a blast. I do our 'Wet Season Series' on a space sailor 27 and quite enjoy rolling round like a marble down wind. It makes the sailing more exciting, and when you get it right you know you've got it right because the feeling is sensational....I enjoy racing on more modern boats as well but i still like the old IOR's....

AS for old IOR's.... Challenge 3 is up here in darwin Cruising round...Not doing any racing unfortunately....and the ex 1/4 tonner world Champion the holland 25 'Irsish Coffee' is also in Darwin.

I Believe that the old Anaconda is in the Whitsundays doing charters...Anybody know of the whereabouts of anaconda II??

I can't fucking believe I can "lay the smacketh down" like I did and remain unchallenged. Un fucking believeable.

As an aside, any of you older douches remember the Irwin 43 "Razzle Dazzle" of SORC fame? Total Guns 'N Roses.

Booyeah extra credit if you know what it was called when it moved to Strong Beach circa 1990

We had a whole bunch of them up here where the old IOR boats came to die. Bill Buchans Sachem is looking very good after a whole make over last year, so does Hagar. I had Electra which we renamed Christopher Robin, (when we got rid of the puke yellow and painted it red) a Mull 3/4 ton with lots of tumble home, pointed transom and crew cockpits. I have seen Stargazer, another Mull 3/4 ton on the canal, but it is fractional, and many more. Our current boat, a Peterson 37 is probably one of the last IOR boats designed. but I still love her!

Wasn't there an Irwin 41 called Razzel Dazzel that went on to become "OZ" in Seattle? Wonder where she went?

I actually LIKED the boat, interior and exterior.

Carina. Pre-IOR design, modified mid-70s keel and rudder. Still being campaigned successfully -- 2006 Bermuda Race - 1st in class/2nd overall under IRC and 1st in class/4th overall under ORR. Successfully raced under IOR, IMS, PHRF, IRC and ORR.

I'll say, I remember her taking our transom and then doing a horizon job on us a day out of Bermuda. :(

Saw the 50' Jubilation when it landed at Shilshoe once (Earl Miller bought her if I remember) never saw her again, any ideas of her whereabouts?

Bump

There were some great characters in the IOR days. Irwin is one of them.

Maybe the next nostalgia thread should be a comparison of damage charges resulting from crew dinners.

I think the RD before the lifting keel became Mokuahi and was painted a lovely shade of turquoise/teal.

Good onya Yaz for the smack. There aren't many fun prizes anymore, are there?

If these boats weren't IOR then what were they you twit??

At least you could be reasonably confident the keel would stay attached to these old boats, despite the rolling downwind.

I wonder what nostalgia there will be for the current crop of motor/sailors masquerading as sail boats in thirty years time??? Can't imagine too many turned over to charter unless you happen to have very skilled diesel mechanic on board at all times.

BES, buy Elvstrom sails

http://www.sailing-whitsundays.com/product...ings/l0059.html

I remember the first Hammo week that Matador 2 came down - renamed "Fudge For Hair", she ended up going boat for boat with Brindy. Except that after the tranPac passage, some of the kites were in pretty poor shape. I remember watching them over our stern in the Coral Sea race as they peeled shreded kite after shredded black kite.

"Sassy" is now "Juliana" sailed by the Polish Sailing Association out of Chicago. She got a section third place in the 2006 Chi-Mac race.

Dandelion (Heritage-37' One-Ton) is sailed out of St. Joe, Michigan. She's done quite well recently winning back to back Macs in 2000 I think. Took the section gun in 2007 Chi-Mac corrected down to second coming back from 25 NM deficit. 2005 was first overall in one leg of Tri-State regatta.

Powder Hound (One-Ton) sailed on Lake Erie and doing quite well.

where is Windward Passage 2 the Rod Muir built boat i heard it went to Italy

Resting in Honolulu Hawaii down by the charter boats, saw it about 3 weeks ago

C28, Windward Passage was designed when racing was under the CCA rule not the IOR. Pay attention!

Edboat, I stand corrected. I still love my fat old half-tonner with the pinched in transom though.......

post-4387-1208513651_thumb.jpg

Where are they now?

That's a C&C (Charisma), right?

What happened to Evergreen after the Fastnet?

Cheers,

Resting in Honolulu Hawaii down by the charter boats, saw it about 3 weeks ago

That should have been Emeraude unless there was some presto chango going on.

That's a C&C (Charisma), right?

What happened to Evergreen after the Fastnet?

Cheers,

Yup, 83 Admirals' Cup, Dave Archibald driving, Bill Berganttz on main, Monica McCants on frontsails, Chopper on bow, Ted, Scott, Mac Baxter......, oh, and me......

Sorry, don't know about Evergreen's perigrinations.

Unicef Hope & Glory, still going strong on the UK South Coast, skippers done atlantics etc etc.

Unicef

There's been a recent trend for quarter tonners to get a new keel and rig and do well in IRC, could it get scaled up?

post-23870-1208544451.jpg