• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
K9u20

Older well known IOR Boats

8 minutes ago, Flirt of paget said:

I have been there and talked to the current owners, it is my movies and I would be interested but current price is too high. She is, as far as I know from Facebook in a better mooring then the last few winters but she is in desperate need of a new owner with a lot of passion and whom would be willing to spend time and money

You would be the man for the job, that is for sure.

Did 1982 SORC on Flirt of Paget with Shorty and crew; good times !!  Crewed a bit later on the 48' Infinity, which BN Tony moved on to after Flirt.

4 hours ago, sledracr said:

Man, I wish Geri Conser would post her archive somewhere.  what a treasure-trove that would be....

And Dick Foat's collection

Plenty of old, interesting and familiar IOR boats in the video posted in this thread....

57 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Plenty of old, interesting and familiar IOR boats in the video posted in this thread....

Lordy, all those ior beach balls dighing holes in the water.  Don't miss those abominations one bit.

On 9/25/2017 at 2:08 PM, Flirt of paget said:

I have been there and talked to the current owners, it is my movies and I would be interested but current price is too high. She is, as far as I know from Facebook in a better mooring then the last few winters but she is in desperate need of a new owner with a lot of passion and whom would be willing to spend time and money

Oh my God!!  I cannot believe you would want to tackle that after restoring Flirt!!  I have fond memories of the '82 SORC on Flirt!  Shorty let me steer a lot downwind, with the kite up, as I was better at surfing waves than some other crew....

On 2017-11-26 at 12:38 AM, billy backstay said:

Oh my God!!  I cannot believe you would want to tackle that after restoring Flirt!!  I have fond memories of the '82 SORC on Flirt!  Shorty let me steer a lot downwind, with the kite up, as I was better at surfing waves than some other crew....

Would love to get into a new project but it will be difficult to convince Maria... Looked at this potential jewel the other week, a Swan 42 one off, hull 000. Unfortunately she will not add much to what I already have accomplished with FOP so I have backed down on this one as well. Tigress is in a terrible state, FOP was "walk in the park" compared to this one. Moonduster is unfortunately going same way and current owners are not interested to talk other prices then their own. Money should go to the restoration not pay overprice for something most people would call a black hole. I do not restore boats for any other reason then passion and joy. //FOP

IMG_9686.JPG

IMG_9691.JPG

IMG_9697.JPG

IMG_9702.JPG

IMG_9712.JPG

I am looking for following yachts, some of them has been mentioned above but I would really like to learn more and see if some of them are around, if any of you guys could bring any light into their current location or contact details to the owners I would happy.

Midnight Sun, Ron Holland 40 ft,  Cold moulded 1977? Souters shipyard Cowes? 

Midnight Sun, Ron Holland 50ft built in aluminium 1979 at Royal Huisman in The Netherlands (last known to be in Antwerp, Belgium, same owner family as Born Free)

Born Free, Ron Holland 50 ft, Cold moulded as Flirt of Paget 1982-1984 (see above)

Retaliation, German Frers 51 ft built in aluminium 1982, (owned by Wictor Fors and named Carat, since then ???)

Artemis, Ron Holland 46 ft, material unknown, year 1981-1982, owned by Arthur Emil, ???

Seier, Ed Dubois 46 ft, composite?, owned by Paul Hanson, German flag??

Would be soooo nice to learn more about these great classic IOR racers and a lot of fun to bring them back to life if needed :rolleyes:

//FOP

I did Admiral's Cup 1981 on the 50 foot Midnight Sun with the French team, skippered by the wonderful Jean-Louis Fabri.  We won the Channel Race by miles, and on corrected time too. The light weather Fastnet killed us, as everyone re-started after the parking lot.  We finished second over the line, and placed I think 182nd on corrected time.

Also did the 1982 Sardinia Cup when she was chartered to the Papua New Guinea team.  Mixed result that time.  Lots of fun, though.

A truly great boat, and as for most Huisman builds, structurally excellent.  If you could find her, and do some basic restoration, I think she would be a great candidate, even after 37 years.  Ron Holland would be a good resource if you need help with specs, etc....  Happy to connect you if you're not already.

I currently own the 1978 Holland 40 Secret Affair.  Had the same paint job as IMP except done in orange.  She is very available to anyone who will take care of her as I have another boat. Price is right :) She is lying in Norwalk CT.

Also spent my youth Sailing on the 50ft Holland Midnight Sun when she was sailing on LIS in the 90's.  Loved that boat.

Hotspur 1.png

Hotspur 2.png

Hotspur 3.png

Hotspur 4.png

On 9/18/2007 at 8:59 PM, Yaz said:

I can't fucking believe I can "lay the smacketh down" like I did and remain unchallenged. Un fucking believeable.

As an aside, any of you older douches remember the Irwin 43 "Razzle Dazzle" of SORC fame? Total Guns 'N Roses.

The Ted lifting keel one? Or the Dobroth that became Mokuahi?

Razzle Dazzle was the first one. That was the daggerboarder. It was modified with a cabin and interior into a C/R and raced out of Tampa for several years. Can't recall new name,, Satisfaction maybe?,  don't know what happened to it. Part of the mod was moving the rig forward for a smaller J and bigger main. Boat never really performed after that, although it was poorly sailed so hard to tell.

Second one was R2D2. I don't know where it went. Kiwi Boats built a sister ship out of Irwin's mold.

On 11/25/2017 at 3:38 PM, billy backstay said:

Haven't heard anybody mention Shorty Trimingham in years.  Great guy and great friend of my mom.  He commissioned her paintings.  Never sailed with him, but did buy some nice red shorts in his shop.

6 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Haven't heard anybody mention Shorty Trimingham in years.  Great guy and great friend of my mom.  He commissioned her paintings.  Never sailed with him, but did buy some nice red shorts in his shop.

Shorty was a great guy to sail with!  But he was pretty tight fisted when it came to shouts at the pub.

10 hours ago, Never was said:

The Ted lifting keel one? Or the Dobroth that became Mokuahi?

Brendan was a trip!!  Met him during SORC in '82, I think it was; when I was staying with Dirty Ernie in Clearwater, doing fiberglass reinforcing on the new 45' Evergreen with the trampoline cockpit floor, and 14 leaky Stearns hydro cylinders.  We glassed in a bunch of aluminum tube struts under the cockpit.  Brendan and I were at a strip club, when..........never mind!  Last I heard, he was a born again bible thumping Preacher?  Never would have expected that!!

12 hours ago, RKoch said:

Razzle Dazzle was the first one. That was the daggerboarder. It was modified with a cabin and interior into a C/R and raced out of Tampa for several years. Can't recall new name,, Satisfaction maybe?,  don't know what happened to it. Part of the mod was moving the rig forward for a smaller J and bigger main. Boat never really performed after that, although it was poorly sailed so hard to tell.

Second one was R2D2. I don't know where it went. Kiwi Boats built a sister ship out of Irwin's mold.

Robert "Bob" Most owned Satisfaction during her stay at DIYC.   I crewed on the boat for a period of time after the conversion to C/R in the late 80s, I think.   I remember O showing me the daggerboard trunk having access doors so you could set internal blocks to adjust the angle of attack of the board.   The boat originally had a hydraulic transmission, as the motor was forward in the boat and the prop and shaft were under the cockpit.   That was forever springing hydraulic fluid leaks.   The motor was then shifted back, and a long drive shaft connected the engine to a universal on a thrust bearing, which connected to the propeller shaft.   The navigator seat straddled that drive shaft, very unnerving to do pre race work there while the shaft was turning under the seat, as there were no safety guards around the shaft, besides the seat.

I departed "I can't Gimmie No" to another boat long before she met her demise.    The boat was doing the Clearwater to Key West race and Orlando Valdez, a sailmaker at the time, was I think steering and navigating and got disoriented and put the boat on top of the jetty out North West of Key West.  That tore out the daggerboard and split the daggerboard well.    Somehow, they got it off of the jetty and mitigated the water ingress sufficiently to get to Stock Island.    Orlando was known as "Exxon" Valdez after that.    The boat was on the hard for a number of years until either she got sold to someone else and fixed or was cut up.

Stumbling

That was Chloe that Orlando 'Exxon' Valdez put on the jetty at NW Channel at Key West. 38' Bruce Kelly 2-toner that went on the reef SW of Key West several years earlier. Crew had been taken off and boat still there just before dawn when we went by. Lights aboard confused us for a few minutes. It had to be towed off..IDK where to but it was badly damaged.IIRC it was cut up after the second incident.

14 hours ago, RKoch said:

And there was one that came up to the PNW.  Named "OZ", called Ooze.  Dead slow boat.

8 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Shorty was a great guy to sail with!  But he was pretty tight fisted when it came to shouts at the pub.

It's the small things that get remembered.  

Sailed one Key West week with an owner who paid for nothing until, at our last dinner at a cheap Mexican joint, one of the crew went and got the check, handed it to him and said "Thanks! Your turn. Great dinner."  Last we sailed with him.

11 minutes ago, RKoch said:

That was Chloe that Orlando 'Exxon' Valdez put on the jetty at NW Channel at Key West. 38' Bruce Kelly 2-toner that went on the reef SW of Key West several years earlier. Crew had been taken off and boat still there just before dawn when we went by. Lights aboard confused us for a few minutes. It had to be towed off..IDK where to but it was badly damaged.IIRC it was cut up after the second incident.

Too many years, too many boats.   They all start to run together.

I could have sworn that I saw Satisfaction on the hard down there over a period of about 4 years.   Not that many IOR daggerboard boats out there that size and vintage.

Stumbling

12 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

And there was one that came up to the PNW.  Named "OZ", called Ooze.  Dead slow boat.

Mighta been the boat.  Mighta been the owner. 

"It's the boat's fault" seems to be a common theme for she-whose-name-must-never-be-spoken.

3 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Mighta been the boat.  Mighta been the owner. 

"It's the boat's fault" seems to be a common theme for she-whose-name-must-never-be-spoken.

True, that.  But I had a friend who went down there to inspect and prep the boat and was rather unimpressed.  He called back with the message: "Do Not Buy This Boat".  So lets say 50/50 on this one.

5 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

...with an owner who paid for nothing 

Heh.  I sailed for a season with an owner who had lots of money and decided to learn how to sail.  Bought himself the latest-greatest Peterson-42 as built by Choate.  Good boat, no expense spared on sails and gear, just.... really dumb mistakes.

And the guy never bought dinner.

Turns out... he didn't know enough to know whether we'd done well that day or not (hey, IOR) and usually he crossed paths with someone on the way up the dock who said "geez, Frank, tough day today.  better luck next time!"  And then he'd be discouraged, and would get in the car and drive home.

I figured out the pattern and made a point of always walking up the dock with him and telling him how much better today was than last weekend, and how we were really coming together as a crew, and that he'd really put together a program with a lot of "potential".... and all of a sudden he started going to the club with us and buying dinners and drinks.

Achievement unlocked <grin>

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Too many years, too many boats.   They all start to run together.

I could have sworn that I saw Satisfaction on the hard down there over a period of about 4 years.   Not that many IOR daggerboard boats out there that size and vintage.

Stumbling

It's possible Satisfaction ended up down there, but I'm sure it was Chloe that Exxon put on the jetty. I knew about the prior grounding (guy from my hometown put his boat on the reef 100yds away from them a few hours later), and was astonished it happened again.

32 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

I thought that was built for said Seattle owner given the name and home port (Emerald City IIRC).  May have done SORC before being bought up to Seattle?

Speaking of Oz, she was recently spotted at Bowen Island with a huge metal dodger and partially revised graphics.

IMG_3811.JPG

18 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Mighta been the boat.  Mighta Marda been the owner. 

FIFY

3 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

I thought that was built for said Seattle owner given the name and home port (Emerald City IIRC)

Speaking of Oz, she was recently spotted at Bowen Island with a huge metal dodger and partially revised graphics.

FIFY

IMG_3811.JPG

Not sure if that dodger actually makes the boat uglier.

31 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I ran Chloe for Jack Frassanito in the 83(?) SORC.  Excellent little boat.  Loads of fun.  

Doug Krippendorf drove it - a highly individual and successful St Petersburg chiropractor.  His Rolls Royce had a bumper sticker that said "Reaganomics Works." He later famously drove Razzle Dazzle into a steel government buoy when his sunglasses fell off into the wheel well, and he was groping down there for them and accidentally tacked.

Happy days.

4 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Heh.  I sailed for a season with an owner who had lots of money and decided to learn how to sail.  Bought himself the latest-greatest Peterson-42 as built by Choate.  Good boat, no expense spared on sails and gear, just.... really dumb mistakes.

And the guy never bought dinner.

Turns out... he didn't know enough to know whether we'd done well that day or not (hey, IOR) and usually he crossed paths with someone on the way up the dock who said "geez, Frank, tough day today.  better luck next time!"  And then he'd be discouraged, and would get in the car and drive home.

I figured out the pattern and made a point of always walking up the dock with him and telling him how much better today was than last weekend, and how we were really coming together as a crew, and that he'd really put together a program with a lot of "potential".... and all of a sudden he started going to the club with us and buying dinners and drinks.

Achievement unlocked <grin>

I got mixed up with a cheap-ass female owner of a pretty good MORC boat. Gutted it out for a few months. Decided I'd had enough after one beer-can race. She'd invited her latest boyfriend along for cheese and wine on the foredeck while we sailed the boat ( <roll eyes> from us). Before he arrived, we caught her below pouring a gallon of Gallo into several empty bottles of expensive wine and recorking them. If that was what she thought of her boyfriend, things weren't going to get any better for us. And no, she of course never offered us any cheese or wine. After me and rest of crew walked away, boat wasn't raced, it just sat at the dock for many years. 

3 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

I ran Chloe for Jack Frassanito in the 83(?) SORC.  Excellent little boat.  Loads of fun.  

Doug Krippendorf drove it - a highly individual and successful St Petersburg chiropractor.  His Rolls Royce had a bumper sticker that said "Reaganomics Works." He later famously drove Razzle Dazzle into a steel government buoy when his sunglasses fell off into the wheel well, and he was groping down there for them and accidentally tacked.

Happy days.

Ron Krippendorf ?

3 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Happy days.

Don Krippendorf. I raced Stars against him a bit. His brother Ron (also a chiropractor) was much better sailor. 

2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Ron Krippendorf ?

Oooops, Don Krippendorf.

Magical character.  He once turned up at the St Pete YC, of which he was a member, wearing a Bell Bar t-shirt.  The Bell Bar was a notorious biker hangout - a murder weekly.  Needless to say, this gesture was not appreciated in the YC.

Any pictures and memories of boats and sailors from the Cleveland area in the late seventies early eighties in the SORC?

4 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Oooops, Don Krippendorf.

Magical character.  He once turned up at the St Pete YC, of which he was a member, wearing a Bell Bar t-shirt.  The Bell Bar was a notorious biker hangout - a murder weekly.  Needless to say, this gesture was not appreciated in the YC.

lol....at least I rhymed ....  Krippendorf was a great MORC/FORA  Tampa area sailor late 60's early 70's....uncanny...had notes from every race and weather tide conditions....Morgan 27

1 minute ago, SailBlueH2O said:

lol....at least I rhymed ....Don Krippendorf was a great MORC/FORA  Tampa area sailor late 60's early 70's....uncanny...had notes from every race and weather tide conditions....Morgan 27

Yes indeed.  He was a wizard on the Bay.  We won a lot.

I remember other details of the Bell Bar t-shirt incident.  Apparently Don turned up there to have lunch one day, in his suit, with his secretary, in the Rolls Royce.  That's when he bought the t-shirt, but as there were none for sale, he persuaded to barman to part with his own.  Which he was wearing.  Just amazing balls on that man. 

2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

lol....at least I rhymed ....  Krippendorf was a great MORC/FORA  Tampa area sailor late 60's early 70's....uncanny...had notes from every race and weather tide conditions....Morgan 27

That would be Ron. Won with a Morgan 30 in the late sixties, and with a Morgan 27 (#1) in the early seventies. Meticulous with weather/strategy/navigation preparation. Also a damn fine driver. I think he quit sailing by the mid 70s. 

Don was a wild man. He fooled around a bit in OD and drove other peoples big boats. Not a bad sailor. He had a big cruiser (Irwin 46?) that was in the movie Summer Rental. He was commodore of SPYC not too long ago.

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

Not sure if that dodger actually makes the boat uglier.

You're not sure????   Here, borrow my glasses, and be sure!!!!

2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Mighta been the boat.  Mighta Marda been the owner. 

gaaahhhhh!  You said her name!  We're all dhoomed.

(and, yes, boat made its debut at SORC - 1983 IIRC - before going to Seattle)

17 minutes ago, sledracr said:

gaaahhhhh!  You said her name!  We're all dhoomed.

(and, yes, boat made its debut at SORC - 1983 IIRC - before going to Seattle)

And was informed by the RC on the radio coming in to the finish of the last race (Tampa I believe) that she could retire and not struggle to the line in the dark as "Your position is secured" - in dead, dead, dead last. 

Per my friend on board at the time - who claims he went looking for a paper bag to wear over his head when they got to the dock.  

2 hours ago, Left Shift said:

It was just so damn ugly to start with...

But way moreso uglier with the dodger.  OTOH, if I were to be delivering her in any kind of inclement weather, the dodger would then be a thing of beauty, for sure!!

Just, not so much for an IOR racer...

7 hours ago, RKoch said:

I got mixed up with a cheap-ass female owner of a pretty good MORC boat. Gutted it out for a few months. Decided I'd had enough after one beer-can race. She'd invited her latest boyfriend along for cheese and wine on the foredeck while we sailed the boat ( <roll eyes> from us). Before he arrived, we caught her below pouring a gallon of Gallo into several empty bottles of expensive wine and recorking them. If that was what she thought of her boyfriend, things weren't going to get any better for us. And no, she of course never offered us any cheese or wine. After me and rest of crew walked away, boat wasn't raced, it just sat at the dock for many years. 

Was that the college professor who has the Morgan 27?

7 hours ago, RKoch said:

That would be Ron. Won with a Morgan 30 in the late sixties, and with a Morgan 27 (#1) in the early seventies. Meticulous with weather/strategy/navigation preparation. Also a damn fine driver. I think he quit sailing by the mid 70s. 

Don was a wild man. He fooled around a bit in OD and drove other peoples big boats. Not a bad sailor. He had a big cruiser (Irwin 46?) that was in the movie Summer Rental. He was commodore of SPYC not too long ago.

I remember both from that time period.    I never got to sail with them.   I was pretty young at that point and committed (by blood requirements) to crewing on my father's boat in B division.   Likewise, I was way too young to partake of the post-racing entertainment!

Whenever I see the title of this thread I crack up!

OLDER well known IOR boats.

Is there any other kind of IOR boat other than "old"?

When was the last new IOR boat built? 20 years ago?

More?

20 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

More?

Last new IOR boat was probably about '91 or '92...25+ years ago.

20 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

More?

Actually, that brings up an interesting point - has anyone modeled what an IOR-optimized boat would look like if you designed one today? So reflecting all modern ways of thinking with regards to boat/sail design and technology, but building to an archaic rule. Might be a fun exercise/complete waste of time.

43 minutes ago, Sisu3360 said:

Actually, that brings up an interesting point - has anyone modeled what an IOR-optimized boat would look like if you designed one today? So reflecting all modern ways of thinking with regards to boat/sail design and technology, but building to an archaic rule. Might be a fun exercise/complete waste of time.

In several ways, that's been done. The International classes like 6-meter and 12-meter and even J-class yachts have had builds "modernized". If you go way back to Mariner ("Jesus, Brit! Even a turd is pointed at both ends!") you can see some attempts to apply updated knowledge to old rules.

And, really, that was what the Light Brigade was all about.

1 hour ago, Somebody Else said:

More?

I think Quintessence was maybe the last IOR boat finished in the US. That hull was started for the Admirals Cup, they changed the rule mid build, so the hull was completed but just sat around while another design, I think Sidewinder, was built.

Farr and school mercifully showed IOR the door....say....how'd ya like to be in the top 5 $$$$   IOR  last one off builds.... to the last variation of the rule 

thank you Bruce et al...

1 hour ago, Somebody Else said:

In several ways, that's been done. The International classes like 6-meter and 12-meter and even J-class yachts have had builds "modernized". If you go way back to Mariner ("Jesus, Brit! Even a turd is pointed at both ends!") you can see some attempts to apply updated knowledge to old rules.

And, really, that was what the Light Brigade was all about.

Thanks for the link mate!!  I had forgetten about the revolution started by Mr. Jumpa, et aux.  Great reading on a slow, overtime night in the tool crib!!

Ah yes, Mr. Jumpa!  One of my favs from back in the day, along with other Farr designs like Jenny H, Gunboat Rangiriri and Suzzle Bubble.  Here are a couple pics of MJ, including one with a blooper, plus a photo from a few years ago after being restored.

Image result for mr jumpaImage result for mr jumpaImage result for mr jumpa

3 hours ago, 3to1 said:

fkn' beauty. Farr design?

Yep.  As are Gunboat R., Jenny H. and Swuzzlebubble.  To me these boats represented the epitome of the IOR in esthetics and design - light weight, fair hull lines and highly tune-able frac rigs.  Lots of good info on these boats in the RB sailing blog Sledracr posted a link to above.

Image result for gunboat rangiririImage result for jenny h sailboatImage result for swuzzlebubble

I don't know if it's because of my age, or that I grew up falling off of bows of boats like these ^, but they still just do it for me.  Even after a metric crap load of races on ULDB's, sport boats,  planing dinghies etc. 

They just do it.

3 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I don't know if it's because of my age, or that I grew up falling off of bows of boats like these ^, but they still just do it for me.  Even after a metric crap load of races on ULDB's, sport boats,  planing dinghies etc. 

They just do it.

the sweet spot of performance and simplicity ...

8 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

They just do it.

Yup.  me too.

They're gorgeous and racy looking and they point like tourists.

What more could anyone want?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

They're gorgeous and racy looking and they point like tourists.

What more could anyone want?

Something that goes downwind without looking back

On 6/28/2017 at 5:03 AM, Cygnus Montanus said:

Jumping Jack Flash and Starlight Express.  Two Davidson Beauties.

getting subscribed to this thread. 

Not IOR,  but we took the 1975 Davidson 45 ft ketch , Riada , to Tonga and Fiji this year . She has a tiny bit of tumblehome but otherwise, not built to rule.

p1180777.jpg?w=848

4 hours ago, JBE said:

getting subscribed to this thread. 

Not IOR,  but we took the 1975 Davidson 45 ft ketch , Riada , to Tonga and Fiji this year . She has a tiny bit of tumblehome but otherwise, not built to rule.

p1180777.jpg?w=848

that's pretty sweet. Any more pics?

On 9/22/2017 at 5:49 AM, Dogslobber88 said:

Lois Lane is sailing again...as of this summer.  She's in Richmond California, towards the end of a 13 year restoration project .

IMG_7052.PNG