K9u20

Older well known IOR Boats

OK, I stand corrected.  Same sort of arrangement, though.  I wonder what "Health and Safety" would say about that nowadays.

7 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

OK, I stand corrected.  Same sort of arrangement, though.  I wonder what "Health and Safety" would say about that nowadays.

Almost no composite boats would have been built and most of us would never have been able to sail based on today’s H&S and employment laws. 

• Like 3

My best friend woke up one morning and Checkered Demon was on a trailer in his neighbors yard. Lars Cabrett the third was the owner( spelling ? ). Holland half tonner, I believe.

Black Star was charted by Anne Gardner for a all female SORC campaign.

20 minutes ago, mad said:

Almost no composite boats would have been built and most of us would never have been able to sail based on today’s H&S and employment laws. 

5 years in the orange groves of Plant City I don't recall one serious injury, lots on minor cuts and abrasions typical of manual labor, town was 5-6 miles . When we first moved to the property the owner who had dug a large hole behind the building with the idea of making it a pond but changed his mind, he told us we could toss all our trash in the hole, plywood, glass cut offs etc. I went back an visited the property and owner for the first time a year ago after leaving it in 1979. I had often wondered about that pit and went for a look, the area was heavy overgrown ground cover but I did pull a piece of C-Flex from under the vines, that put a smile on my face. The slab we poured outside the building still had hardened resin in the plan shape of the boats. 

The landlord 40 year later and the resin still stuck to the slab

DonA.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LarryE said:

My best friend woke up one morning and Checkered Demon was on a trailer in his neighbors yard. Lars Cabrett the third was the owner( spelling ? ). Holland half tonner, I believe.

Black Star was charted by Anne Gardner for a all female SORC campaign.

Loys Charbonnet III

2 hours ago, Left Shift said:

As if that matters. 

SL was in the middle of a shipping lane in one of the busiest harbors on the West Coast, and you are still defending crossing a freighter by three boat lengths - or maybe 1/5 of one of theirs - at very best.  BTW, I was nearby.

Yeah, the only real question is, did Lowell say "Here, hold my beer.  I've got this."

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, such as it is. The ship never signaled she was turning to stbd, only sounded danger pattern, starting as soon as she was under the GG bridge. Given the number of boats in the area, and the rarity of her course, we were clearing the area as fast as we could. We were exiting the channel at 90 to the channel. There were no boats astern of us, the ship could have safely straightened her turn to give more clearance & still remained in the channel easily. Yes, hindsight says we could have tried calling the vessel on VHF for her intentions.

IIRC, Ron Love was on the helm. 

There’s a rigging guide to Evergreen & Agape in an old Spyglass on my desk. (vol.6, 1979).  Also articles on CC series, interviews with Don Green, Paul Fuchs & Peter Shumaker. From same:

”When innovative boats win, everyone is quick to praise them, but when they lose, everyone seems equally quick to criticize;  the yachting press delighted in Evergreen’s difficulties.

She was modified in between the SORC and the CC, and her rig was changed to a somewhat more stable three-spreader design. While many components of her deck layout are custom built, many others are simple and cheap.  Lowell North called Evergreen’s deck layout the best he had ever seen.”

North with a backhanded compliment there?

15 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

CheckeredDemon.jpg

Checkered Demon is sailed actively in eastern Long Island sound. Looks like it’s in perfect shape. Pictures at Photo Boat under Off Soundings.

IIRC, Agape was eventually sold to am owner in  Maine.  I was at the Portland YC talking with the new owner. 

He told me he had flown out to Sheboygan and met Terry Kohler.  His comment was something like, boy is he rich. 

This would have been mid '80s. 

On 2/11/2019 at 4:17 PM, ROADKILL666 said:

Anyone remember Checkered Demon?

Raced on her once last year!  Owner Neil still has one of the Checkered Demon comic books of the perverted Demon!!  He has rebuilt the boat a couple of times since he's owned for at least 20 years, I reckon!  Very competitive for the pickle dishes, and Neil is a terrific sailor and decent bloke all around!

• Like 1

On 9/17/2007 at 9:23 AM, MangoMan said:

Any sightings of the little Boomerang?

65 foot Derecktor built, got a cruising interior and was renamed Cheetah III, then I think was renamed Dauntless?

I just found your post trying to answer the same question. My father Tom Worrell owned the boat and had the conversion done. I was in my college years and begged him not to sell the boat. I would love to know where she is. I had some great sails on that boat. I so badly hope to one day own a 50+ Ketch or sloop. For now I just dream and remember the good old days. This is the first mention of the boat I’ve ever seen or found. Take care.

Best,

-zack worrell

www.monolithknives.com

14 minutes ago, zmastablasta said:

I just found your post trying to answer the same question. My father Tom Worrell owned the boat and had the conversion done. I was in my college years and begged him not to sell the boat. I would love to know where she is. I had some great sails on that boat. I so badly hope to one day own a 50+ Ketch or sloop. For now I just dream and remember the good old days. This is the first mention of the boat I’ve ever seen or found. Take care.

Best,

-zack worrell

www.monolithknives.com

Really cool website and products !....other than a bunch of proud Virginians ....nowhere does the www say where you are ...and is it open to the public ?

Found it with a little digging...

17 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Really cool website and products !....other than a bunch of proud Virginians ....nowhere does the www say where you are ...and is it open to the public ?

Found it with a little digging...

Thanks. Being in Charlottesville I’m a bit too far from the water to own a big boat. I keep a picture of that 65 maxi, Boomerang/Cheetah III right over my knife grinder where I took a sharpie and wrote over it, “ dreams”. Best time of my life was spent on that boat  

16873CF6-7CA5-4040-AE72-DA30AF32F2EC.thumb.png.0271ade1a8760a247e49f6ef5a1c269f.png

• Like 1

I've a sister and brother in law in C'ville both UVA grads and have lived there since early 70's, he just retired from his law practice in town. They live in Earlysville ,I sent my sis your info as I think her husband Larry would be interested in checking out your work and studio. Beautiful knives !

It’s a small town. I’m sure we know each other. My family are all Wahhos except me. Thanks again for the kind words. 

16 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Si or no?

Not for 39K obviously.  It’s been thrashed. 

What’s up with all the rivets running 2/3 up the front of the mast?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/nelson-marek-36-2802910/

7D68B5FF-D9AC-4C59-8CCF-71B0A623D782.jpeg

Ah the good ship Tinder Box.  Funny the ad calls out the 1984 Lipton Cup.  We almost won-DSQ for some reason or another cost us.  Dont rememebet the details.

Was built by a contractor in his shop on Laguna Canyon.  Beautiful and very fast when new.

• Like 1

Fasteners up the front will be securing internal stiffeners, a common method to get a stiff lower section without ending up with a heavy/stiff  top section. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, some dude said:

Ah the good ship Tinder Box.  Funny the ad calls out the 1984 Lipton Cup.  We almost won-DSQ for some reason or another cost us.  Dont rememebet the details.

Was built by a contractor in his shop on Laguna Canyon.  Beautiful and very fast when new.

Great name for a woody.

Broker says it’s still raced regularly.  It looked abandoned.  Hatch cover literally looks like they pulled a piece of driftwood out of the water.  

But yeah.  Cool boat.

Just now, kinardly said:

My first reaction was it was Rush. Same design?

Marek.

I meant same design, not same designer. The Bruces have done a lot of great boats but I remember Rush out for a sea trial when it was first launched. Looked a lot like this one. 

Just now, kinardly said:

I meant same design, not same designer. The Bruces have done a lot of great boats but I remember Rush out for a sea trial when it was first launched. Looked a lot like this one. 

No clue, sorry.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:13 PM, zmastablasta said:

Thanks. Being in Charlottesville I’m a bit too far from the water to own a big boat. I keep a picture of that 65 maxi, Boomerang/Cheetah III right over my knife grinder where I took a sharpie and wrote over it, “ dreams”. Best time of my life was spent on that boat  

16873CF6-7CA5-4040-AE72-DA30AF32F2EC.thumb.png.0271ade1a8760a247e49f6ef5a1c269f.png

A shame almost all your field and folding knives are sold out, or have no price information available. 

2 hours ago, kinardly said:

Agree, sure looks the same.  Rush was for sale in the classifieds here about a year ago...don't know the current status.  

3 hours ago, kinardly said:

Couple years later.  There was a sister (but frac rigged) put of San Diego called Crackerjack 

Tinder Box was beautiful when new.  Haven't been on board in 30 years, but I do know it sat on the hard in front of a broker's in Long Beach for a long time in the 90s at one point.

On 2/18/2019 at 3:13 PM, zmastablasta said:

I have a pic of 65' Boomerang in my office at work.  It was taken a year or two before I joined the boat in '81 or '82, as it did not yet have the Scott Kauffman re-designed transom modification.  In '82 I had Polo crew shirts made for Block Island Race Week that said "BI Week", which caused quite a stir with the bisexual connotation that some read into that! LOL!!

Amazing Grace. Hazy memories of serious parties with those good guys in Lauderdale during the 1986 SORC.

That's good to see - Grace was looking pretty sad a few years ago.

Was AMAZING GRACE a C&C Custom?????

38 minutes ago, FINS said:

Was AMAZING GRACE a C&C Custom?????

Yes,  a 45 or 46, I can't recall which, but she would have been the big boat on the team.

21 hours ago, some dude said:

Couple years later.  There was a sister (but frac rigged) put of San Diego called Crackerjack 

Tinder Box was beautiful when new.  Haven't been on board in 30 years, but I do know it sat on the hard in front of a broker's in Long Beach for a long time in the 90s at one point.

Wasn't Crackerjack the first Jim Bets aluminum boat? I think the owners previously commissioned and raced Blivit and then Crackerjack, with Dr. Mike Bush (Chris' dad) joining the partnership. I can't remember the other names, I want to say one was Reighlly, but the distinctive thing about them was they were just basic down to earth guys who pooled their money for a modestly sized boat and then went out and kicked a lot of San Diego YC Brahmin ass. 

34 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Yes,  a 45 or 46, I can't recall which, but she would have been the big boat on the team.

Amazing Grace was a C&C 45ft design and the big boat in the 1981 and 1983 Canadian Admirals Cup Team. The 1981 official guide states the hull colour was Blue but the 1983 guide says maroon. Her IOR rating was 34.4

1 hour ago, kinardly said:

Wasn't Crackerjack the first Jim Bets aluminum boat? I think the owners previously commissioned and raced Blivit and then Crackerjack, with Dr. Mike Bush (Chris' dad) joining the partnership. I can't remember the other names, I want to say one was Reighlly, but the distinctive thing about them was they were just basic down to earth guys who pooled their money for a modestly sized boat and then went out and kicked a lot of San Diego YC Brahmin ass. 

Sounds right.  DC drove in that Lipton Cup in 84 or so.  Was white, with a big frac, same hull as Tinder Box and yes I think Dr. Busch was part owner.

11 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Amazing Grace. Hazy memories of serious parties with those good guys in Lauderdale during the 1986 SORC.

I had not thought of Lauderdale in a long time!   Staying in a flop house of an apartment roughly half way between the Lauderdale YC and South Port Raw Bar during the East coast events.   The "crew vehicle" was a rusted out 70s Ford station wagon that the "O" had picked up in Fort Lauderdale for less than $500.     We had installed plywood cutouts to fit on the foot wells to keep your feet inside of the car.   I think we just left it parked on the side of the road with the keys in the ignition when we loaded up for the Nassau race.

- Stumbling

• Like 1

That's what I used to do with my $100 parts chasers when they died. I'd park in a rush hour zone and take the plates - that way it was gone by 6 AM.

BAD CITIZEN!

• Like 1

I was standing up on the bridge of a 637 class nuke back in March of 1981 at Port Everglades watching the sailboats arrive back in port one afternoon after an offshore race.  This one caught my eye:   

Amazing Grace @ Lauderdale.jpg

20 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That's what I used to do with my $100 parts chasers when they died. I'd park in a rush hour zone and take the plates - that way it was gone by 6 AM.

BAD CITIZEN!

No, this is just catch and release.

GOOD RECYCLING CITIZEN!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:25 PM, southerncross said:

Broker says it’s still raced regularly.  It looked abandoned.  Hatch cover literally looks like they pulled a piece of driftwood out of the water.  

But yeah.  Cool boat.

It was in the slip next door (MdR) when I was prepping my boat for a ride on a truck in 2015.

It looked pretty rough at that time - structurally, nothing obvious wrong, but lots of deferred TLC (missing hardware, wood areas in visible need of repair, etc)

Was owned at the time by an MdR broker (apparently still is). 

It's not clear (to me) whether he's actually trying to sell it, or just wants someone to chip in $1k/month for some time-sharing.

3 hours ago, Pointy End said:

I was standing up on the bridge of a 637 class nuke back in March of 1981 at Port Everglades watching the sailboats arrive back in port one afternoon after an offshore race.  This one caught my eye:   

Amazing Grace @ Lauderdale.jpg

As a teenager I idolized that boat in Toronto.  Then in 1992, I was in a fish and chips shoppe  in Rye, Victoria (a small town near the mouth of Port Phillip Bay, Aus), and there she was, a beautiful huge picture of Grace on the wall.  I couldn't believe it - the kids working there had no idea how the picture got there.  Cool though.

Great to see she's still sailing!

On 3/13/2019 at 1:01 PM, Yachtbum said:

Amazing Grace is in North Vancouver looking very nice indeed. 

968C4E71-AA45-4D32-866D-24A04C71BFC6.jpeg

Did Admiral's Cup on the Canadian team w/ Pachena, Amazing Grace was on the team and that dog could not hunt!

On 3/13/2019 at 1:01 PM, Yachtbum said:

Amazing Grace is in North Vancouver looking very nice indeed. 

968C4E71-AA45-4D32-866D-24A04C71BFC6.jpeg

Raced on Gracie when it came to Vancouver. A couple of years of fun. A monster upwind in some decent breeze. Dig a huge hole downwind in anything over 20 when it was up to speed. 25 knots and up? It was downright scary! In a broach or wipeout, all you could do is hang on and pray. Hope not to break shit; particularly yourself or the crew. Funny story: Doing a winter race and it was getting up there in windspeed. The driver was known to sail the boat very low. Almost by the lee. Probably doing 10 or 11 knots BS and on the wrong gybe as we are running of real estate as Stanely Park was in the way. I said we have to gybe and  I hope we don't broach. A newbie/younger sailor said: "what's a broach?" That was about the time we are coming into the valley of doom and went into a full-on Chinese gybe. The young guy in the cockpit got completely firehosed right out of his cruiser suit up to his head. We started to recover but the poor guy was completely wide-eyed from shock. Then with water dripping on his nose I said: "Tony - THAT was a broach! Ever since we dubbed him Tony Snorkelson! Too funny. I think he moved to Saskatchewan shortly afterward.

Wonder if Gracie still has the mainsail halyard ball/lock anymore? An adventure on to its self!         

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 3:35 PM, kinardly said:

Wasn't Crackerjack the first Jim Bets aluminum boat?

The half-model of Crackerjack is on the office hallway wall at Betts Boats.

On 3/15/2019 at 7:30 AM, zenmasterfred said:

Did Admiral's Cup on the Canadian team w/ Pachena, Amazing Grace was on the team and that dog could not hunt!

You know you have a slow boat when half eaten cans of dog food keep appearing on the bow.

12 minutes ago, savoir said:

You know you have a slow boat when half eaten cans of dog food keep appearing on the bow.

LMFAO

44 minutes ago, savoir said:

Like the Ron Holland maxi Sassy, aka Lassie. "Can't fetch. Can't run."

But it was bloody good at digging holes.

• Like 2

Bob Derektor designed and built, prior to the more square Scott Kauffman transom refurb.

Boomerang.jpg

6 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Bob Derektor designed and built, prior to the more square Scott Kauffman transom refurb.

Boomerang.jpg

Loved that Line 7 gear!!!

34 minutes ago, Matt DI said:

It was fine for the time, until Gortex came along.  Before my arrival into that program in '82, Steve Lirakis had been a regular Crew Member, so of course, my Owners CEO of the boating program had bought lots of Likaris harnesses and tethers for offshofore racing. George Coumantaros was a great owner and overall boss!

• Like 3

Did you know Paul Skopos/(Skokos?)  said he ran the small boomer for a while.

4 hours ago, Matt DI said:

Nothing like the stink of vinyl in the morning.

And it was always a good place to stow a spare sail tie around your middle to stop the smock blowing over your head.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, longy said:

Did you know Paul Skopos/(Skokos?)  said he ran the small boomer for a while.

I don't remember his name but I handed the boat of to a Greek guy, could have been Paul something?  The boat was no longer racing, just sitting for sale on a canal near the 17th St Fisheries restaurant. I wanted off, so I could join the new Frers 80 for the delivery from BDA to Hawaii, and the '84 Clipper Cup, which we won, IIRC?  I cracked a bone in my wrist on the 2nd to last race, and then I went back to CT, to start a new career in Real Estate, and a wife and kids, and I didn't set foot on a race boat for 10 years, until 95, when Bill Alcott from Detroit, who I had "met" on the Compuserve Sailing Forum, invited me to crew on "Equation", his Reichel Pugh 50 at Block Island Race Week.  That was when he had a bunch of crew from Bill Kochs America3 A-Cup team.

On 3/14/2019 at 2:02 PM, Maxx Baqustae said:

Raced on Gracie when it came to Vancouver. A couple of years of fun. A monster upwind in some decent breeze. Dig a huge hole downwind in anything over 20 when it was up to speed. 25 knots and up? It was downright scary! In a broach or wipeout, all you could do is hang on and pray. Hope not to break shit; particularly yourself or the crew. Funny story: Doing a winter race and it was getting up there in windspeed. The driver was known to sail the boat very low. Almost by the lee. Probably doing 10 or 11 knots BS and on the wrong gybe as we are running of real estate as Stanely Park was in the way. I said we have to gybe and  I hope we don't broach. A newbie/younger sailor said: "what's a broach?" That was about the time we are coming into the valley of doom and went into a full-on Chinese gybe. The young guy in the cockpit got completely firehosed right out of his cruiser suit up to his head. We started to recover but the poor guy was completely wide-eyed from shock. Then with water dripping on his nose I said: "Tony - THAT was a broach! Ever since we dubbed him Tony Snorkelson! Too funny. I think he moved to Saskatchewan shortly afterward.

Wonder if Gracie still has the mainsail halyard ball/lock anymore? An adventure on to its self!         

As far as I can tell, there must have been more than one Amazing Grace.

The one shown on the C&C photo album article  http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/archive/amgrace/amgrace1.htm (which I think is the one in the photo by Pointy End) is not the same one as the one in Vancouver right now (in the photo by yachtbum).

There are more pictures of the larger Gracie from last year's Swiftsure here:  http://www.occamsracing.com/2019/02/swiftsure-2018-occams-team-hops-boats.html

1 hour ago, Expat Canuck said:

The one shown on the C&C photo album article  http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/archive/amgrace/amgrace1.htm (which I think is the one in the photo by Pointy End) is not the same one as the one in Vancouver right now (in the photo by yachtbum).

There are more pictures of the larger Gracie from last year's Swiftsure here:  http://www.occamsracing.com/2019/02/swiftsure-2018-occams-team-hops-boats.html

That's the Gracie I know - very well. Raced on it for shitz & giggles when running back and for the "Delicate Balance" program in Seattle. Then speaking about Occam's (Lougheed/Reynolds) I was with that program shortly after that and stayed for 10 years until it was sold. And tell the now owner of Occam's where's my fucking scotch!!! Fucking deadbeat!  

20 hours ago, Matt DI said:

When a North blue threads guy they got into the foul weather gear business.  Being in the NW I was the sacrificial lamb to test the new "breathable" gear.  My experience was that if it can breathe out it can breathe in.  Definitely spent some wet times with my Line 7 hanging in the closet at home while trying to refine the North gear.  Still have some old Line 7, great for working around the yard.

1 hour ago, zenmasterfred said:

When a North blue threads guy they got into the foul weather gear business.  Being in the NW I was the sacrificial lamb to test the new "breathable" gear.  My experience was that if it can breathe out it can breathe in.  Definitely spent some wet times with my Line 7 hanging in the closet at home while trying to refine the North gear.  Still have some old Line 7, great for working around the yard.

Kettenhofen's designs?

I had some of his later designed stuff ("Rainbow" brand) that performed very well for a long time until the waterproof coating eventually rotted off the interior. Bob had a little lab set up in a corner of his factory floor where he tested materials and construction. I loved that!

5 hours ago, Expat Canuck said:

Heya Expat,

Two different boats with similar paint scheme, both originally owned by Bob Herron of Port Credit Yacht Club.

The one in the C&C Photo Album is an earlier Gracie, a stock C&C 40 circa 1979.

The one in BC is what's being discussed, a custom 45' design that's much better known...

Cheers!

17 hours ago, P_Wop said:

ahhh...the smell of wet dacron & nylon combined  the musky smell below decks  after a few day offshore...once shared by many...folks like to be back at the dock in the late afternoon these days it seems...I still have a 50 year old yellow Canor Plarex pull over  hanging in a closet and the  snaps still work

On 3/16/2019 at 7:47 PM, daffy said:

LMFAO

It was a common occurrence at 1970s regattas.

23 hours ago, P_Wop said:

And it was always a good place to stow a spare sail tie around your middle to stop the smock blowing over your head.  

Not so fond memories of NZ made Dorlon wet weather gear, in particular an orange long smock top with hood and a velcro neck closure but no zips. It certainly didn't leak from the outside in but would rival Jenny Craig as a sure-fire weight loss program - turned energy into sweat on even the coldest of days.

They had a famous advertising slogan - I think it was Peter Blake in their ads in which he claimed to have sailed around the world wearing the stuff  "27,000 miles without a leak!"

• Like 1

^^^ Did my first couple of Hobarts in Line 7 & Dorlon.....the memory of the vinyl smell takes me straight back there....also the cable knit woolen jumper.....that and the expression "cooked in your own juice"!!! To finish the picture...have your best mate on the opposite watch throw up in your sea boot just before he calls you out of your bunk for the umpteenth, post midnight, sail change....on new years eve ...halfway across storm bay (living up to its name & reputation). Good Toimes!!!

16 minutes ago, Couta said:

^^^ Did my first couple of Hobarts in Line 7 & Dorlon.....the memory of the vinyl smell takes me straight back there....also the cable knit woolen jumper.....that and the expression "cooked in your own juice"!!! To finish the picture...have your best mate on the opposite watch throw up in your sea boot just before he calls you out of your bunk for the umpteenth, post midnight, sail change....on new years eve ...halfway across storm bay (living up to its name & reputation). Good Toimes!!!

Oh yes, the infamous size 11 chunder in a size 9 sea boot can never be unseen.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Couta said:

I still have my father's Peter Storm oiled sweater, in burnt orange.   65+ yo sweater that has survived two generations of sailing use, still is in good shape!

Like a cockroach, it will survive the Apocalypse, still repelling water and keeping the skeleton chest warm and cozy!

(unfortunately, the Line 7's did not last quite as long)

- Stumbling

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

ahhh...the smell of wet dacron & nylon combined  the musky smell below decks  after a few day offshore...once shared by many...folks like to be back at the dock in the late afternoon these days it seems...I still have a 50 year old yellow Canor Plarex pull over  hanging in a closet and the  snaps still work

I am with you in that sentiment!!  Don't miss the long distance races at all!!   And when flying somewhere, I try to leave at lunch time and arrive at cocktail hour....

SportsCar...the "chunder in boot" incident would have been almost acceptable...except he didn't alert me to the fact. My personal discovery became the stuff of legend. I will say that we did sort it out - all was eventually forgiven - and years later, I went on to be best man at his wedding....and he at mine!

• Like 1