K9u20

Older well known IOR Boats

Here's some more stern shots....

Vanina, another Dubois similar concept to Vanguard, and interesting that he went back this way with the later Indulgence as Ian mentioned.

Then a couple more Chance boats - Bay Bea and North Star, and Marionette/Yeoman XX and Moonshine

and some nice 70s graphics on the stern of Oesophage Boogie!

post-52234-0-38258300-1361595958_thumb.jpg

post-52234-0-31263000-1361595981_thumb.jpg

post-52234-0-31694700-1361595999_thumb.jpg

post-52234-0-43625200-1361596105_thumb.jpg

post-52234-0-71795500-1361596121_thumb.jpg

Vanina, another Dubois similar concept to Vanguard, and interesting that he went back this way with the later Indulgence as Ian mentioned.

Then a couple more Chance boats - Bay Bea and North Star, and Marionette/Yeoman XX and Moonshine

I believe Vanina was Gary Mull. Sardinia Cup Italian team 1978. Super-squirrely downhill. And a completely ridiculous no-traveller 2-sided mainsheet arrangement. Just a nightmare.

Samsara was a 3/4 Ton G.Frers owned by a french woman at la Trinité sur Mer....Very fast and cute IOR boat at that time.

I believe Vanina was Gary Mull. Sardinia Cup Italian team 1978. Super-squirrely downhill. And a completely ridiculous no-traveller 2-sided mainsheet arrangement. Just a nightmare.

Vanina was definitely a Mull design: her owner Vanni Mandelli was not only rich but young, enterprising, and nice.

As many of the italian boats of that time she was heavily USA influenced , Tom Blackaller was a regular and mastermind although I am not sure that he was onboard for the AC 77 where she did not shine.

Are those guys on ? ? ? ( whichever apple it was ) wearing Harry Cudmore wigs ?

Samsara was a 3/4 Ton G.Frers owned by a french woman at la Trinité sur Mer....Very fast and cute IOR boat at that time.

Ah ! one of my life-loves ! I can't resist telling her story ;)

"Samsara" was owned by Ms Odile Tran-van-Dom, a Vietnamese freudian psychiatrist of international fame and a great character.

She was named after her owner work: a parallel between Freud and Buddhism !!

The yacht was actually based alternatively in the UK and France as her owner was a member of both the UNCL and the Royal Corinthian in Cowes.

A one-off Frers design and lighter dspl than his other 3/4 tons of the time (although a true medium dspl), we always felt that she was the epitome of the masthead-rigged yachts and the last one to fence the light-brigade.

Very well and lightly built by Souters -within 6 months of the design order-, she shined from launch day, bang on her lines, so easy to immediately get at 24.5 max-rating, and feeling fffast minutes after the launch.

One of the strong measuring details was the big engine located right beside the mast and above the keel.

Wish the hydraulic drive-train had not regularly spilled oil in the bilge, as if the David Carne controls were not enough ;)

After one single week-end of commissioning trials she was delivered to South-Brittany at the 10mn gun of a French 150 miler where she did an horizon job.

One week later she was entered in the French 3/4 ton trials which she won ahead of Oesophage and Joe Louis.

This was to be followed by an easy and large win in Cowes-Dinard and a 3rd in the Channel Race.

At the 3/4 ton cup: despite being right in the money in the inshores, too many mistakes in the offshores left her 3rd.

With hindsight, I would put it on too ambitious a campaign, with two full ton-cup series + 3 x 200 milers + one Cowes Week and multiple cross-channel deliveries, she was a bit tired.

Despite her 6-up crew rotating between 8 people, youth over-ambition also took its toll: at the 3/4 ton, the skipper Gilles Gahinet was just days off racing and winning the Figaro (the Aurore) singlehanded race! while the stupid crew had used the time-span of the delivery to race a long and windless Fastnet on other boats, when the competition was quietly preparing since the French trials.

Of course every one had a job on the side ! A good lesson on what not to do, but a happy youth !

It is also clear that she could have been a little bit faster: short time between order and build had her fitted with a large single-spreader "Powell" mast section and not the skinny one she deserved. Despite Peter Bateman's superb efforts the Banks sails were never at the level of North or Voiles Systeme.

No excuse there, but I felt that this having been corrected she should have put a masthead rig and medium dspl on the map for one last time.

It is quite funny that Rich's pic shows her next to "Northstar" which Sam's helmsman pinned down 1/2 hour into the first inshore in a class-book port-starboard incident, a non discardable DSQ in the Ton-Cup rules!

In '78, racing for UK, under Jon Ewarts, she won the Solent Points championship (see Beken pic) and was part of the UK team in the first Commodore's cup.

In '79 she was 2nd in the Fastnet

In '80 3/4 ton cup again with a new modern mast and new sails, she was still in the top 5 amidst the DB1s.

Nowadays, she is very much alive, well kept and successful in the Italian classic circuit.

Keep well Sam !

PS: in the original thread-pic, inshore helmsman Philippe Pallu de la Barriere, just behind is skipper Gilles Gahinet in his red trousers and further looking behind his shoulder the moustache of tactician Daniel Andrieu (yes that one ...). Of course as on any pic, foredecks have been suitably hidden ;)

post-6361-0-26300100-1361620453_thumb.jpg

post-6361-0-73597500-1361620485_thumb.jpg

Samsara! Another rave from the grave. I was onboard for a horrible Channel Race in '85; hydraulic fluid and vomit sloshing about on the cabin sole, Cracked one of the forward laminated ring frames too. Jumped ship for the Fastnet.

TX for all that informations ! Moody

i undersatnd why this damned 3/4 was so fast ! :)

Jacobite was renamed Shiver. There's another masthead 41 called Orca in my boatyard (Fox's in Ipswich) fully kitted out with bluewater cruising kit. I'd have thought the deep draft a pain for cruising.

Also, when Fox's cut up the mould for the Carl Shumacher Oyster Lightwave 395 they found a hull sitting inside. Make and interesting project with a modern rig and keel.

That seems a bit careless :P

The '79 Vanguard from Dubois for comparison; quite a change of thinking!

post-73936-0-07687900-1361643166_thumb.jpg

+ a few more of the 3/4 ton Nadia from '77

post-73936-0-09865200-1361643202_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-74488900-1361643239_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-45665300-1361643219_thumb.jpg

Sorry, yes Vanina was a Mull, bit of an editing error there, got a bit confused between all those triangular transoms, but here's the one I meant to post of Nadia, to add to Ian's collection above. Dubois sterns seemed to just carry the stern lines through to their transom without too much curve or hollow, whereas the shot of Vanina suggests that Mull had a concavity around AGS, as if the stern wasn't already narrow enough? And went back to look at that mainsheet system that P_wop mentioned, hard to imagine how that would ever work around a race course!

Also found some more photos of Eclipse for House Salad.

Nice photo of Samsara above Moody frog - and thanks for the interesting story. Good to hear she is still racing.

post-52234-0-49217700-1361688677_thumb.jpg

post-52234-0-36626600-1361688741_thumb.jpg

post-52234-0-24569400-1361688754_thumb.jpg

post-52234-0-03826600-1361688808_thumb.jpg

The '79 Vanguard from Dubois for comparison; quite a change of thinking!

post-73936-0-07687900-1361643166_thumb.jpg

+ a few more of the 3/4 ton Nadia from '77

post-73936-0-09865200-1361643202_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-74488900-1361643239_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-45665300-1361643219_thumb.jpg

I feel that in the previous posts I might have been a bit unfair to "Nadia", she was a very very good boat, faster upwind than any of the leading '75 and '76 3/4 tons.

Regarding the evolution in Dubois' thinking one has to remember that Ed actually rocketed to the top to compete with the likes of Frers, Farr and all others: he graduated from Southampton in '74 at 22: so he designed Vanguard 2 and Police Car, two very different yachts, late '78 early '79 at 26 ! having been in the mean time a draughtsman at Buchanan, technical editor of Y&Y and head designer at M&W, all for short spans.

It is therefore quite logical that he was still testing various venues while getting prestigious commissions.

OK, I have admired Ed from day one, but I think that his career has been rather unique.

Further Vanguard.

Extracts from SeaHorse

I am not sure this 48ft version of Vanguard was built.

Further Vanguard.

Extracts from SeaHorse

You are fully correct; looking at the AC program, the '77 Vanguard in the pics was:

42.1 LOA

13.02 B MAX

12.88 B

10.95 BWL etc...

I should have remembered she was Class II

Similar lines made me jump the gun ! thanks !

Further Vanguard.

Extracts from SeaHorse

You are fully correct; looking at the AC program, the '77 Vanguard in the pics was:

42.1 LOA

13.02 B MAX

12.88 B

10.95 BWL etc...

There was a Miller & Withworth 48 "Ceil V", which sailed for Hong Kong in the 1975 Admirals Cup. This yacht was built by Olympic Yachts in GRP in 1975. I will check if I still have a photo.

Not sure if this should go in the Disturbed IOR Designs, but a photo of Atair an early Stephen Jones design which sailed for Switzerland in the 1975 Admirals CUP. Built by Bayside Marine in GRP Foam Sandwich in 1974.

LOA 46ft, WL 44ft, rating 37ft.

Note the transom rudder.

post-52142-0-80239700-1361750307_thumb.jpg

post-14940-0-50661900-1361752923_thumb.jpgContention 33 IOR 3/4 ton 1976 Peterson Design Built by Southern Ocean

post-14940-0-16422400-1361752875_thumb.jpg

Further Vanguard.

Extracts from SeaHorse

42.1 LOA

13.02 B MAX

12.88 B

10.95 BWL etc...

There was a Miller & Withworth 48 "Ceil V", which sailed for Hong Kong in the 1975 Admirals Cup. This yacht was built by Olympic Yachts in GRP in 1975. I will check if I still have a photo.

\

The M&W 48 from Olympic was an unsuccessful Apollo II/Gingko style boat with a very odd deck. Quite different from the mooted 48' Vanguard, which one assumes was dropped at the design stage for the 45 foot Vanguard that raced the '79 AC. She had a fatter stern but was still masthead.

I recall the Holland 1 tonner 'Green Highlander' was sailed out of Poole in the early '80s though never raced seriously, can't recall the name of the chap who owned her then, but prior to that he had the early Farr One Tonner 'Karena' for a while.

This was a cold moulded boat with a fixed keel, (design 51 maybe?) which I think made the cover of Seahorse at one time; anyone else remember her or the other Farr boats in the UK at the time, or know where she might be now?

Yes Karena was a, beautiful if not successful, cold-moulded Farr one-ton originally hailing from Jersey, and yes I think she was on one SeaHorse cover .

As I remember it (but that was a long time ago) she was one of two UK Farr one-tons in '76.

The other one was Solent Saracen owned and built by John Mac Carthy, which actually entered the Marseilles One ton Cup, she was following a 3/4 tonner winner of the '75 3/4 ton-cup (Peterson) and, earlier, a close sister-ship to Gumboots entered in the '74 One Ton Cup (which was sold to France and later sank, I think).

IIRW she was followed by a Farr centreboarder (later modified to fixed keel) for the '78 one-ton.

2-3 and 4 were C-flex built by the owner's company.

Otherwise I do not remember that many UK Farr boats, bar a few half-tons, in the 70's

Karena was a lovely varnished cold-moulded boat, built by Souter in Cowes for Colin Journaux, as you say, of Jersey. I did a couple of RORC offshores on her that summer (1974???), and Dinard as well, I think. Super fast, and a real head-turner compared with all the masthead mastodons of the day. Skinny single spreader fractional rig with swept spreaders, no hydraulics, no runners and a 64:1 cascade backstay.

I think the very first Farr boat in the UK was the half tonner Tohe Candu (either Titus Canby renamed or a different boat), I think in the Summer of 1972. Proceed to clean the clocks of all the Brit half tonners, which were mostly Scampis, Nich 30s and French designs. Just startlingly quick in almost all conditions. And the boat that put Farr on the map, IMHO.

I have always loved those rigs, sure the "I" was short, but they were to me the perfect cruising rig with easy-handled gennys and no fuss with preventers.

Some of our racing group designed and built a "light brigade" Class IV boat which was (finally) launched in '77.

Despite achieving huge success offshore in that first season, not being in a level rating class prevented her from fame.

To be honest, she suffered in inshore races.

She had a similar rig, but with the shrouds outboard on the hull: a joy to sail and deliver shorthanded.

And here is "Karena"

Oh, heck, that's me in the cockpit in the red shirt. Must look for my own issue and check. 36 years ago. Yikes.

Does anyone have a photo or know the wherabouts of GINKO?

I heard she was sold to Greece...

On the bottom of the Atlantic after an encounter with a whale.

Some more from Mr. Jones, this time his '77 1/4 tonner Wings which I understand is being restored in Holland.

post-73936-0-51168300-1361781121_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-55195100-1361781139_thumb.jpg

And his '79 1/2 ton Boadicea:

post-73936-0-14132300-1361781266_thumb.jpg

With Smiffy the earlier Supernova 31 for comparison of stem profiles:

post-73936-0-73976000-1361781345_thumb.jpg

& the transom:

post-73936-0-20277200-1361781382_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know anything about Joe Cool, another Jones 1/2 ton from Holland that was at the '79 HTC?

post-73936-0-36570600-1361781454_thumb.jpg

Or recognise this boat or its owner from the advert which appeared in the Sep/Oct '79 issue of Seahorse, the description says it's a '79 design which should make it a close sister of Boadicea.

post-73936-0-87111800-1361781564_thumb.jpg

Some more from Mr. Jones, this time his '77 1/4 tonner Wings which I understand is being restored in Holland.

Wow, an important Jones's boat which marked the beginning of the "high-tech" UK dinghy sailors involvement in the 1/4 and half-ton class.

and ... quite moving to see two late friends in the pic:

Owner and helmsman David Robinson former head of Proctor's dinghy division and former UK Olympic coach then owner of "Team sails" later to become Sobstad UK. David lost in life in December 2010 in an avalanche while skiing.

Foredeck Patrick King holding the boom in Pic 2, a long standing Proctor's exec. and Merlin Rocket + National 12 stalwart had sailed to softer seas one month before

Thank you guys for being so friendly and helpful to a young wannabe.

Some more UK 1/2 tonners from the '77 level rating championships:

The winner, the Nicholson Silver Jubilee from Ron Holland

post-73936-0-41925500-1361784876_thumb.jpg

Second placed Xaviera from Stephen Jones, the prototype Hustler 32 (& mould tool plug iirc)

post-73936-0-25350400-1361784988_thumb.jpg

I heard a rumour that she is now in a very sorry state & may have been broken up which would be a shame, would love to hear differently if anyone else knows her fate.

& third placed Country Girl from Doug Peterson

post-73936-0-51459700-1361785117_thumb.jpg

Further WINGS.

A very good article, I had kept, by David Robinson which explains quite well the tweaking and refining going on in the small level classes and incidentally the '77 rule changes.

post-6361-0-23046600-1361785686_thumb.jpg

post-6361-0-08096200-1361785717_thumb.jpg

Vanguard on her mooring at the RHKYC in 1977.

Hi Fivestar,

I see you are from Cebu.

Vanguard might well be just a few hundred miles from you !

A good friend of mine was a key member of the Vanguard campaigns and I know from him that the crew organized a reunion, late 2007, in Manila where they had found the boat in quite good condition, hopefully she still is

;)

Hi Fivestar,

I see you are from Cebu.

A good friend of mine was a key member of the Vanguard campaigns and I know from him that the crew organized a reunion, late 2007, in Manila where they had found the boat in quite good condition, hopefully she still is

;)

hi Moody frog, next time I am in Manila I will pass by the yacht club and have a look.

Moody Frog - thanks for posting that, great to read your memories & insight of the S Coast scene at that time, anything like that article is very welcome, helps understand how the various designers were thinking.

Looking on the 1/4 ton website there's no update on the restoration of Wings which was estimated as half way there by current owner in October 2011, wonder if it's still progressing or stalled, would be great to see her back on the Solent racing against Purple Haze etc.

post-73936-0-22489300-1361794728.jpg

The other Jones 1/4 ton around at that time was '77 Silver Jay/Moondog which had quite a long career.

The current owner appears to have scrapped her a few years back (just before the 1/4 ton revival got started....) and used her rig & fittings on a new one-off Dudley Dix Didi 26 design. I guess the hull may still be sat in a yard somewhere, he doesn't say on his website.

http://www.gbr7076.com/moj-index.html

A few pictures burgaled from above

post-73936-0-10599800-1361795707_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-37227000-1361795738_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-43435900-1361795757_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-86467300-1361795769_thumb.jpg

Moody Frog - thanks for posting that, great to read your memories & insight of the S Coast scene at that time, anything like that article is very welcome, helps understand how the various designers were thinking.

Looking on the 1/4 ton website there's no update on the restoration of Wings which was estimated as half way there by current owner in October 2011, wonder if it's still progressing or stalled, would be great to see her back on the Solent racing against Purple Haze etc.

post-73936-0-22489300-1361794728.jpg

You are welcome !

Out of the dinghy masters moving to level-rating, you obviously also have Larry Marks, one of the best 505 helms ever.

He, too, went for Stephen Jones, with the modified SJ32 "Smokey Bear" 2nd in the '78 1/2 ton and later the mini-ton "Smokey and the Choirboys" which shined in the '80 mini-ton but had one dismasting and also some name-protest problem.

I remember big discussions on a 1/4 ton (Bof ?) by Phil Morrison which the dinghy sailors particularly fancied, Morrison did not get any further commission though.

The other Jones 1/4 ton around at that time was '77 Silver Jay/Moondog which had quite a long career.

The current owner appears to have scrapped her a few years back (just before the 1/4 ton revival got started....) and used her rig & fittings on a new one-off Dudley Dix Didi 26 design. I guess the hull may still be sat in a yard somewhere, he doesn't say on his website.

Yes its a rating thing, but that bow?? many others like that?

Great little bus that one - did the !/4 ton Cup in Japan with the Fish....possibly the best regatta ever that one.....still got the sake barrel here in my office for those that remember that particular night!! Epic....

Stephen Jones was fairly consistent with that bow, in some instances more extreme than others; Moon Dog & Boadicea both had a very pronounced kink in the stem profile whereas the Wings & the Supernova 31s (Smiffy etc) had more of a curved 'clipper' type. (The final Supernova 31 'Demolition' had the hollow filled in as she was built in '81 after the rule had changed)

The exception at the time would be Xaviera in '77, perhaps because she was the prototype for the Hustler 32 production 1/2 tonner. Moody Frog may know of others

Stephen Jones was fairly consistent with that bow, in some instances more extreme than others; Moon Dog & Boadicea both had a very pronounced kink in the stem profile whereas the Wings & the Supernova 31s (Smiffy etc) had more of a curved 'clipper' type. (The final Supernova 31 'Demolition' had the hollow filled in as she was built in '81 after the rule had changed)

The exception at the time would be Xaviera in '77, perhaps because she was the prototype for the Hustler 32 production 1/2 tonner. Moody Frog may know of others

Boadicea suffering particularly badly from the '80 and '81 rule changes; after two chain saw massacres on the aft overhang and latterly a large E reduction, the owner decided he had better things to do than pour cash down the ORC hole. A pity, one of Stephen's prettier boats, more in the NZ / French style than his usual.

Boadicea suffering particularly badly from the '80 and '81 rule changes; after two chain saw massacres on the aft overhang and latterly a large E reduction, the owner decided he had better things to do than pour cash down the ORC hole. A pity, one of Stephen's prettier boats, more in the NZ / French style than his usual.

It's a shame they elected to take a large reduction in E. Reducing J would probably have been the better way to go as far as reducing RSAT while minimizing performance reduction goes, given how IOR calculated RSAT.

In the mid 80's, an old Peterson 35 I was sailing on increased E by something like 2.5 feet. Total sail area increased by about 50 sq ft, but on comparing the old and new IOR certs, RSAT only went up by about 11 sq ft.

SORC Feb 1981 - High Roler, St. Pete. More from SORC to come. I just have to put my head down and grunt it out...

My late Dad's condo unit was in the Bayfront Towers in the background. 17th floor on the left corner up there.

Great memories of St. Pete and the SORC :)

Hi Fivestar,

I see you are from Cebu.

;)

hi Moody frog, next time I am in Manila I will pass by the yacht club and have a look.

There were in fact three of this design built. the first Vanguard with a flush racing deck, followed by Gailforce and Negril which were more cruiser orientated.

Hi Fivestar,

I see you are from Cebu.

;)

There were in fact three of this design built. the first Vanguard with a flush racing deck, followed by Gailforce and Negril which were more cruiser orientated.

That rings a bell from Asian boating I was receiving in the early 80's.

I'm pretty sure that the pics my friend showed me at the time were of the original Vanguard.

It's a shame they elected to take a large reduction in E. Reducing J would probably have been the better way to go as far as reducing RSAT while minimizing performance reduction goes, given how IOR calculated RSAT.

In the mid 80's, an old Peterson 35 I was sailing on increased E by something like 2.5 feet. Total sail area increased by about 50 sq ft, but on comparing the old and new IOR certs, RSAT only went up by about 11 sq ft.

Interesting, Increasing E and reducing J is exactly what David Robinson mentioned in the above article !

Ian W mentioned:

"helps understand how the various designers were thinking"

One interesting thing of the Ton Cups of that time is that all rating certificates had to be pinned on the jury's official board.

Aspiring and established designers could be seen scrambling notes and playing with their HP handhelds

So was Boadicea scrapped or is it rotting in a shed or muddy creek somewhere?

post-73936-0-03250400-1361870839_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-08608000-1361870856_thumb.jpg

As above, she was different to Stephen Jones's other boats of that era, would be a pity if she has gone for good though I've heard before that the owner (Mike Jackson?) broke her up.

Any sightings or contemporary pictures of The Goodies yet?

anyone remember an IOR looking boat based out of Noank, CT in the late 70s/early 80s called "Woodwin" or "Woodwyn"? I think it was wood over glass..beautiful looking thing.

Got to sail on LOUISIANA CRUDE at the NYYC 150th anniversary regatta- pretty cool as I remembered when she was the hot new boat on the scene when I was first getting interested in sailing. Was neat to steer in at the end of the day and imagine Blackaller standing there jabbering away.... The owner included me on the mailing list for the "Crude Newsletter" for a long time- she had a good home for awhile!

A later version (50ft?) ended up at St. Mary's College of Knowledge back in the day- she looked like a damn space ship tied to that dock! GEM and THE CARD came along later.... There was also a bright cold molded IOR boat there called ROUGE'S ROOST that was kinda sexy- and a glass one called RACONTEUR that looked cool.

The waterfront director used to leave the boats unlocked so students could have somewhere to go and fool around without having to deal with roommates interrupting / watching / listening / participating.... Thanks Mike! Much appreciated. Was always fun to find a lost student ID card and call the guilty party....

Cool thread- loving the photos- Serge

I just found this thread, this is amazing. I havent read it all, just skimmed but wow.

I want to share this gem with you all as well:

Checkered Demon, Holland 1/2 ton, still proudly sailing in long island sound.

I have sailed all sorts of performance yachts, mumm 30, m24, m32, etc. and this is my favorite boat by far.

I dont know what it is about her, i prefer the low and slow of the ior to the new speedboats.

For lack of being home and having all the pictures, these are the best of what i have on my computer...

post-62571-0-46833100-1361920355_thumb.jpg

post-62571-0-56667200-1361920333_thumb.jpg

I'm a sucker for flush deck IOR boats. Love seeing Checkered Demon out there on weekends.

i'm a sucker for flush deck IOR boats.

Me too... especially the 2-tonners and the 50s. They just look like racing machines, to my eye.,

Hi Fivestar,

I see you are from Cebu.

;)

That rings a bell from Asian boating I was receiving in the early 80's.

I'm pretty sure that the pics my friend showed me at the time were of the original Vanguard.

There is a Vanguard moored at the Manila Yacht Club, owned by a person I have met in connection with old sports cars. I will email him and see if it's the same guy and get back.

Old SORC 1981 Photos

Jon Wright and Tom Whidden. Which boat?

edit: High Roler?

Good question. I've got another 9 rolls of negs to digitize. I'll try to figure it out with the dockside deck layouts shots. Thanks for identifying Jon Wright...

Me too... especially the 2-tonners and the 50s. They just look like racing machines, to my eye.,

I gotta say it: those cockpit were not the best offices... A modern cockpit is MUCH more user-friendly for old guys.

I gotta say it: those cockpit were not the best offices... A modern cockpit is MUCH more user-friendly for old guys.

Definitely no comfort here. C&C 2 tonner 1976, Anita 1976

post-52142-0-31807800-1361949028_thumb.jpg

post-52142-0-53227600-1361949136_thumb.jpg

The thread went on for sometime on Stephen Jones' designs shifting from well known boats to designers.

One other designer who independently went his own course was André Mauric in Marseilles.

He produced a number of boats, usually at Egger, along his own philosophy.

While they met successes in the Med they never went really to the top, except "Impensable" winner of the '73 half-ton.

I would put it to Mauric being stuck to the Med and not too aggressive in seeking commissions (he was just one year younger than Olin Stephens, a designer for 35 years and his business was thriving on navy-patrol-boats).

Despite having a reputation of brute-force and submarining upwind in a blow (and yes I experienced it) they were of medium dspl, his masthead one-tons were noot too different in length / dspl and SA from say a Contessa 35 - but those had a canoe-body -.

Hi latest mid-seventies IOR boats sported a high-aspect 7/8 rig. Of course, micro-baloon bumps and the like were a no-go on a Mauric.

Interestingly, Mauric had been an early proponent of light dspl (if narrow boats), his 1963 one-ton design (RORC champion in 66 and 3rd in the 65 one-ton-cup) was only 3900kg with 50% ballast

Here are the lines of a typical '76 design

Then: masthead one-ton "Pilsi", 7/8 one-ton "Airel" (the year of the Farr 1104) and "Impensable"

Of course the largest of the familiy was Pen-Duick VI

post-6361-0-44920300-1361959096_thumb.jpg

post-6361-0-60234000-1361959141_thumb.jpg

post-6361-0-37648700-1361959176_thumb.jpg

post-6361-0-13382000-1361959203_thumb.jpg

As an anti-dote to the big US Admiral Cup size boats heres a few pictures from the European One Ton scene in the mid '80s, starting with Rob Humphreys famous '85 One Tonner & AC boat 'Jade'.

post-73936-0-50123400-1361960871_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-64179700-1361960888_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-83155500-1361960914_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-59571000-1361960946_thumb.jpg

And a few detailed shots of the deck arrangement, taken when she was under new French ownership as Centurion in '87

post-73936-0-61499600-1361961200_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-26775100-1361961228_thumb.jpgpost-73936-0-72807500-1361961246_thumb.jpgpost-73936-0-49269100-1361961262_thumb.jpg

And a few detailed shots of the deck arrangement, taken when she was under new French ownership as Centurion in '87

post-73936-0-26775100-1361961228_thumb.jpgpost-73936-0-72807500-1361961246_thumb.jpgpost-73936-0-49269100-1361961262_thumb.jpg

Then owned by JP Dick's father with a young Jean-Pierre as the sailing-master.

Probably little did he know that he would once be a professional sailor.

Followed by Juno in 1987.

post-73936-0-92144900-1361961543_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-20902500-1361961578_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-21943200-1361961602_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-95421300-1361961623_thumb.jpg

Rob was drawing some lovely clean boats at this time which just looked right (& the results proved it)

If anyones really really interested in the numbers I have copies of the certificates for a fair few 1/4, 1/2 & 1 Tonners from this era; if theres any requests I will have a look & see how well they scan.

Meanwhile over the road at Mr. Dubois' office..............

post-73936-0-64474500-1361965035_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-10076200-1361965074_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-62785900-1361965101_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-95888400-1361965121_thumb.jpg

The rather more radical 'Full Pelt' was taking shape in 1986.

A few more pictures the right way up!

post-73936-0-19447700-1361965626_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-05010200-1361965654_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-14808500-1361965687_thumb.jpg

post-73936-0-62918800-1361965720_thumb.jpg

There was also an Australian 1 tonner to this design at the AC that year, Ronstan Challenge/Swan Premium I & I recall seeing the drawings for a 43' version in his office which I think was a Bimblegumbie.

1981 SORC St. Pete - Secret weapon?

Got to love the part-erasing of Whitbread entrants' names (G3 & D'O 3)

The joys of rule 26, o tempora o mores !

Frog:

Thanks for the post on Andre Mauric. I had totally forgotten about his work. He certainly did it his own way..

Hi Bob,

Having always appreciated the hand-drawings in your columns, I think you might be interested in this perspective of his first racing yacht, drawn when he was 18 (1927 or 28) and still in high-school.

The yacht was built, he raced her and won !

No surprise he soon landed a job !

Could not unfortunately fit the whole page on the scanner.

post-6361-0-20121700-1361980274_thumb.jpg

Okay, i'll ask, whats that on the winch drum?

Yeah, I wouldn't know. I spent my misbegotten youth at the other end of the boat(s).

Followed by Jamesons Whiskey for the Irish AC team in '87

Is that the boat that sank in the shallows after punching a rock in the Solent?

Somewhere I've got a photo of that one, with about 6" of freeboard.

Just the beginnings of the idea of a self tailer. If you look closely, there is a knurled friction spot near the bottom of the winch drum. That would spin a wheel on the device and turn the two vertical gripers that the tail end was passed through.

Frog:

Thanks again for that post. It took a lot of work to produce a perspective of the hull lines back in that day. Today any kid with a 3d program can be a yacht designer.

I wish someone could find a pic of my old flush deck two tonner HEATHER. That was a very handsome and effective IOR boat.

Frog:

Thanks again for that post. It took a lot of work to produce a perspective of the hull lines back in that day. Today any kid with a 3d program can be a yacht designer.

I wish someone could find a pic of my old flush deck two tonner HEATHER. That was a very handsome and effective IOR boat.

Even in the 70's he claimed that nothing is better than a sliding-rule a pencil and a bunch of rules !

Having watched my father handling complex calculations on a sliding-rule at terrific speeds, I was not too surprised !

Frog:

I grew up with slide rules. I had a little 6" model that I could carry in my pocket, I think it was made from bamboo. I almost wore it out. No idea where it is today.

At Carter's office, Chuck, Yves-Marie, Mark and I shared one calculator, no memory. I remember thinking what an incredible tool my HP35 was. Today I still use a very old HP 11C. I know it well and it has a nice feel to it. I have no idea what kind of battery is uses. I have never needed to replace it. It's well over 20 years old.

This new owner was Mr Jean PIerre Dick !!!

Just the beginnings of the idea of a self tailer. If you look closely, there is a knurled friction spot near the bottom of the winch drum. That would spin a wheel on the device and turn the two vertical gripers that the tail end was passed through.

Paul - that was on Chloe, Jack Frassanito's nice Bruce Kelley 39. It worked really well, actually - the lever locked it to the drum or disengaged. I've been thinking of re-engineering this for many years, but never got round to it.

Thanks Ian for posting all those photos of Jade, she was a favourite of mine - I had this photo (that cms posted earlier) as a big laminated poster on my wall for many years! The One Ton fleet of 85-87 was just full of interesting and cool looking boats.

post-52234-0-18817300-1362039586_thumb.jpg

Nope, wrong one - the sinker was the Farr 1 tonner 'Fram' owned by Prince Harald of Norway - chartered for the series, and we touched the rock at the beginning of the inshore route at Gurnard. Keel fell off, headed for the beach, deck hit the water as we grounded! All the sisterships of that design went down from losing keels....one girl lost at Kenwood. In retrospect, I was well pleased it happened as I doubt the boat would have been up to the beat to the Rock that year - and swimming around the Irish sea would not be amusing...

Mind you, at the time was the worst day of my life!

Rebuilt the boat for IMS as 'Tram' and then it got teeboned in the Solent and went down for good.

Richard - no problem, have a quite a few others from this period which I will try and work through & scan.

I was fortunate to get a job as an assistant measurer for the One Ton Cup in Poole in 1985, all the focus was on the 1 Tons that year & I think there were something like 45 of them at Poole, the vast majority being new or one year old boats as the change to 30.5 had been the year before. This was also the summer before I started the yacht design course at Southampton so I was pretty focused on what was going on!

Most entertaining was the Joubert/Nivelt 'Espace de Desir' - we had loads of issues through the measurement checks, the radii at the measurement points were miles under, you could see the hollows & the crew spent ages with buckets of micro-balloons; don't know who was more surprised when she floated bang on her numbers, us or the crew!

Richard - no problem, have a quite a few others from this period which I will try and work through & scan.

I was fortunate to get a job as an assistant measurer for the One Ton Cup in Poole in 1985, all the focus was on the 1 Tons that year & I think there were something like 45 of them at Poole, the vast majority being new or one year old boats as the change to 30.5 had been the year before. This was also the summer before I started the yacht design course at Southampton so I was pretty focused on what was going on!

Most entertaining was the Joubert/Nivelt 'Espace de Desir' - we had loads of issues through the measurement checks, the radii at the measurement points were miles under, you could see the hollows & the crew spent ages with buckets of micro-balloons; don't know who was more surprised when she floated bang on her numbers, us or the crew!

"Espace du Desir" one more of the myriad of boats Mr Moureau built and owned in over 50 years of racing life. I mentioned him earlier about Anke.

She was still racing around Brest under new ownership in the '90s.

1st pic from the 80's stolen on Chorus' website ;)

Others in Brest Marina end 2K's

post-6361-0-43506400-1362051773_thumb.jpg

post-6361-0-31577500-1362051827_thumb.jpg

Espace was probably the most radical boat there, iirc she was a great reaching machine & won the Channel Race in the AC. From memory in '87 there was a development of her from J/N called Turquoise. The French made a big effort in 1987 and based all their boats in Lymington for the trials, Espace was also back that year alongside Corum, Xeryus, CGI, Cofica & another new Berret 1 Ton, a really slow ugly 44' name of which & its designer escapes me (thankfully!) I will carry on digging out the pictures & scanning for anyone interested!

At the '85 1 Tons another team I recall kept busy with the micro-balloons was Phoenix, formerly Rubber Duck, the Beneteau 1 Ton that Graham Walker took over after Indulgence sank on one of the offshore trial races. No doubt the Andrieu design would have done very well at both the OTC & AC had they not had their misshap, but there was no way it could be repaired in time.

At the '85 1 Tons another team I recall kept busy with the micro-balloons was Phoenix, formerly Rubber Duck, the Beneteau 1 Ton that Graham Walker took over after Indulgence sank on one of the offshore trial races. No doubt the Andrieu design would have done very well at both the OTC & AC had they not had their misshap, but there was no way it could be repaired in time.

Don't think we bumped Phoenix much at all MF - but did play around a lot with keel depth and stability - ended up quite differnetly configured to the one that Eric ( Duchemin ) was sailing and also we made top AC boat that year - not bad for a production boat!

Guess that was probably the last production boat ever to figure ??

Thanks Ian for posting all those photos of Jade, she was a favourite of mine - I had this photo (that cms posted earlier) as a big laminated poster on my wall for many years! The One Ton fleet of 85-87 was just full of interesting and cool looking boats.

I last saw Jade in Portavadie Marina, Loch Fyne.:-)

post-73936-0-28431600-1361965414_thumb.jpg

IIRC, she didn't sink but was towed off.

Newspaper headlines the following day were the immortal "Jameson on the rocks"