Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SnakeOnAPlane

2008 Toronto NOOD

So what is up with the Toronto NOOD? We have a new Viper 640 on Lake Ontario; there should be others by spring--can we get a start? Are the NOODs even happening in TO next year--the provisional LORC schedule <http://www.lorc.org/sched2008.htm> doesn't list them.

just askin'---

SoaP

NOODs in Toronto in 2007 was less than half number of boats than 2004. Maybe that was the reason no NOOD in 2008.

Where is the Viper? RCYC?

So what is up with the Toronto NOOD? We have a new Viper 640 on Lake Ontario; there should be others by spring--can we get a start? Are the NOODs even happening in TO next year--the provisional LORC schedule <http://www.lorc.org/sched2008.htm> doesn't list them.

just askin'---

SoaP

Toronto NOOD regatta is technically not a part of LORC schedule.

Toronto NOOD regatta is technically not a part of LORC schedule.

The schedule does list non-LORC events. We are way out west in Oakville, at BHYC. New to sailing on Lake Ontario & trying to figure out our one-design options.

SoaP

There isn't going to be a Toronto NOOD in 2008. Sailing Word tells us that that border has become a real complication in their bringing this regatta up here and also that they have a new sponsor for the coming year which has no interest in Canada-doesn't do business here- and won't sponsor a regatta north of the border.

We heard this within the past week.

Plans are afoot to produce a Greater Toronto Area Super Regatta And Pissup perhaps involving the cooperation of several clubs. After all, we can do quite a lot with all those entry fees which went down to the USA and we are not short of talent to run a major event in our own waters. Much as we did enjoy having Sailing World and its people up here with all their experience added to our own.

Might be time for us who live in the shadow of the CNTower to review the way we program our sailing season and in particular what could be accomplished with stronger cooperation between our cubs to put on truly major, well attended regattas that will appeal to and attract boats from around the Lake and points beyond.

We've got easily a dozen good Yacht Clubs within a two hour sail of each other and you can double that number by doubling the sailing time. There are alleged to be10,000 boats taking up space in clubs from Hamilton to Whitby and then NOLSC and good old Youngstown are just 24 miles away across the Lake. Rochester is a more serious trip but one that Maggie Kelly-my tub- will be taking at least once in 2008 and great if we could attract more return visits from the great sailors they have over there. They have a great way with a bottle of rum and we are on a Christian mission to introduce them to the more subtle joys of Single Malts.

It cannot be said that we don't have all the ingredients needed to make the Toronto area a terrific place to be sailing and racing. Just a bit of energy is needed.

In anticipation of future posts from the usual crowd who are happy to see something not work out-something into which they put nothing at all-let me prescribe for them a visit to a proctologist and a further prescription of a pill about the size of a football to be inserted where they do what passes for thinking with them. Keep them occupied while the rest of us move on.

Sorry the NOOD is gone.Now lets get on with the next thing

There isn't going to be a Toronto NOOD in 2008. ...

In anticipation of future posts from the usual crowd who are happy to see something not work out-something into which they put nothing at all-let me prescribe for them a visit to a proctologist and a further prescription of a pill about the size of a football to be inserted where they do what passes for thinking with them. Keep them occupied while the rest of us move on.

Sorry the NOOD is gone.Now lets get on with the next thing

Best event of the past year was the EYC in late August. EYC has it all - lots of free parking, lots of docks, lots and lots of room, great food and free rum. That is where the Super Toronto event should be held. I enjoyed visiting Toronto for the NOODs for the past few years. It was well run with two years having great winds. But having it from 2 clubs wasn't the greatest idea in my opinion. Anyway, everyone has an opinion, and that is mine.

THe NOOD is dead...racing on LO will survive it. The season hasn't ended and I'm already looking forward to 2008...keep the details flowing on SA.

As a Dragon sailor who is thinking about a trip to either the EYC or the RCYC next year, could you please elaborate about the problems at the border for sailors bringing boats north?

Thanks.

RD

As a Dragon sailor who is thinking about a trip to either the EYC or the RCYC next year, could you please elaborate about the problems at the border for sailors bringing boats north?

Thanks.

RD

Dragon,

There really is no problems taking a boat across the border. Have your paperwork straight and a passport is a good idea and you won't have any problems. We take a 7.9 across several times a year.

Because of the heightend sence of security on the US side the border does get backed up and it does tend to be a pain (hour or more wait) but that's about all the problems you will run into.

Last year someone forgot their birth certificate/passport/ID and got turned back. In the past if you brushed your teeth regularly you might have gotten away with it - but not anymore.

Passports are not a problem (unless an Australian passport will get you in trouble), but what do you mean by paperwork? Vehicle and boat registration?

I appreciate the information. I have driven into Canada before, but not towing a boat.

RD

Passports are not a problem (unless an Australian passport will get you in trouble), but what do you mean by paperwork? Vehicle and boat registration?

I appreciate the information. I have driven into Canada before, but not towing a boat.

RD

Yes, and trailer registration as well. Personally I've never yet had any issues going either way across. Of course now that I've said that.....................

RD,

We've been taking our J/22 across Lewiston Queenston and the Blue Water bridge for many years. We got "randomly selected by computer" for a secondary in Sarnia a year or so ago. I thought it was going to be an ordeal. It only took about 20 minutes for them to look us over. No problems at all. Passports seem to help speed things along.

My longest inspection interview was this year on the Canadian side. Got asked the official questions and then the guy said "Is that a J craft?". We talked about my boat and his Catalina 27 for a few minutes. The people behind us must have thought I was really being grilled.

Always remember left is right when heading to Canada on the Blue Water bridge.

There isn't going to be a Toronto NOOD in 2008. Sailing Word tells us that that border has become a real complication in their bringing this regatta up here and also that they have a new sponsor for the coming year which has no interest in Canada-doesn't do business here- and won't sponsor a regatta north of the border.

We heard this within the past week.

Plans are afoot to produce a Greater Toronto Area Super Regatta And Pissup perhaps involving the cooperation of several clubs. After all, we can do quite a lot with all those entry fees which went down to the USA and we are not short of talent to run a major event in our own waters. Much as we did enjoy having Sailing World and its people up here with all their experience added to our own.

Might be time for us who live in the shadow of the CNTower to review the way we program our sailing season and in particular what could be accomplished with stronger cooperation between our cubs to put on truly major, well attended regattas that will appeal to and attract boats from around the Lake and points beyond.

Bummer. We will be at the Super Regatta & Pissup if it has starts for sportboats. There may be other Vipers in the GTA by spring. US Viperers have also expressed interest in traveling here for a regatta. Or if one-design isnt possible maybe a combined s.b. fleet might work--there are U20's in Ottawa & Sarnia, in addition to the M24's already here.

SoaP

Good riddance.

Having done several NOOD regattas in lots of venues over the years: my thoughts are... see ya.

I always thought of NOOD to be an overpriced brand that brought nothing to the table (nothing that the local clubs couldn't do themselves). Not that I'm against overpriced brands... just not ones that bring nothing to the table.

I found the Toronto regatta to be overly expensive and logistically challenging given the split between NYC and RCYC.

I also found the three day event makes it very difficult to find crew. I like either week long serious events where people can justify taking the time off (I'm going to race the North Americans against 60 other boats - ok boss?) or two day weekend events. Taking a Friday off to make a 3 day regatta that isn't a national championship is just hard to justify for a lot of the young professionals that are crewing the boats these days.

Seeing as NOOD hired local talent to run the regatta - what did we need them for? Advertising and brand awareness?

Buy an add on SA and post a thread - it has way more impact for way less price.

I hope RCYC goes back to making its RCYC Open Regatta (a week earlier in June) a big event. Particularly after the new club house is done. It would be a great draw.

See ya NOOD. We hardly knew you. We'll be better off without you.

- Goldfinger: and to state my obvious bias: I don't like NOOD or Sailing World magazine (although I buy every issue).

Super Regatta & Pissup. Love the event all ready... SRP 2008, coming soon.

What can we learn from Youngstown Levels? Great regatta with good history as a party and good racing.

2 day event with lotsa boats, sailors and dock fluff.

How do we get the sleepy cruiser/racers out? 2 regattas in one:

1) Serious IRC/ One Design course racing & 2) Cruiser friendly PHRF and level racing on point to point courses all coming home to the same SRP party.

I just got the letter in the mail from Sailing World telling me, as a past participant of the Toronto NOOD's that they will not be coming to Toronto in 2008. This was a "business" decision they said and that they were also concerned with the border issues. If I am not mistaken two Bene 44's were sent home by the Canadian Customs due to the fact that two of the American crew had criminal records. (DWI) I guess the skippers of those boats complained to Sailing World and hence the "border issue".

I am also happy to see this regatta go away. The first one was great as there was a serious lack of attendance at any form of sailing regatta in Toronto and the NOOD's helped to bring about a bit of resurgance. The 2007 regatta was just a regatta that I had to take a day off from work for.

I am all in favour of some new, local, super regatta and Piss Up, lets start a thread and see who wants to run in and where.

I never attended the Toronto NOOD so I can't comment whether it was a good or bad thing.

I know that we were looking forward to attending this Toronto NOOD because- Lake O seemed a good venue- There are a lot of performance sailors in that corner of the continent- Its a very reasonable drive for those of us in the NE US and chance for us to go up against the Gt Lake sailors who we dont see much of-The local canuck Vipers are great guys and come down to our NAs each year- Its a chance to get a stamp in our passport!

So I hope you organize something else. Build it and we'll come.

Hijack.....Its a shame the Youngstown Level regatta always conflicts with Marblehead Race Week. I think both the Marblehead J24s and the Marblehead Vipers would go to that but for the conflict.

I'm part of the Kirby 25 fleet in Ottawa, and we were just talking about an OD regatta in July down around your end of the lake. BHYC was mentioned as a possible host -- they already do the Bronte Rocks on Labour Day. Nothing is done about it yet, tho. Still just a gleam in the eye. (See Kirby25.com forums.)

I know that there was a big push back in '04 I think to get enough Kirbys for a fleet start at the Toronto NOOD -- didn't quite make it. One criticism about the NOOD is that we'd be competing with a million J/22s and J/24s for the crane. I've never been there, but having seen the line-ups at the launch ramp on Sunday afternoon, I can just imagine the carnage.

Maybe we could be part of a big Super Regatta & Pissup if the timing is right.

2008 Regattas (admittedly of interest to Kirby sailors):

• mid-June is the Nepean One-Design in Ottawa (U-20, K25, Tanzer 22, Shark, C&C 27, Laser 28 plus a bunch of dinghies and skiffs.)
  • EYC is in Kingston (KYC) July 10-12 (they might be open to having OD starts);
  • YYC of course near the end of July;
  • LYRA is in Whitby July 28 - Aug 3;
  • Frenchman's Bay open, maybe Aug 9-10 (Kirby fleet);
  • CORK Aug 7-10 (they are open to having OD starts);
  • Dalhousie YC Cornucopia, Labour Day (big Kirby fleet);
  • BHYC Bronte Rocks, Labour Day (Kirby fleet);
  • Barrie YC, mid-Sept (big Kirby fleet there as well).

A possibility is for us to combine with another regional fleet to make it worth someone's while to hold a regatta. If anyone has ideas, energy or enthusiams regarding another regatta in the golden horseshoe, speak up.

I just got the letter in the mail from Sailing World telling me, as a past participant of the Toronto NOOD's that they will not be coming to Toronto in 2008. This was a "business" decision they said and that they were also concerned with the border issues. If I am not mistaken two Bene 44's were sent home by the Canadian Customs due to the fact that two of the American crew had criminal records. (DWI) I guess the skippers of those boats complained to Sailing World and hence the "border issue".

Thisbe,

I really don't think that was the real issue for them. From what I understand in talking to them over the last couple of years since they've had the Toronto NOOD, it has more to do with the real "business" of running the event. Remember that they have to ship a pile load of gear, shirts, materials, promotional stuff, etc, etc, etc. I think that the tangible part of the business was being taxed heavily going into Canada and than the remaining stuff had to be sent back to the USA. A sort of "import and un-import" stuff, the paperwork and the logistics to make it all happen was probably not viable to them. I would also think that with 2 hosting clubs, the fleet (sailors) split did not help the business (gears sales, sponsors, etc) so difficult to justify it.

On the other hand, a series started and run in Canada would probably be very successful and could attract all those that were part of the previous NOOD regattas and become an annual successful event.

LZ

p.s. I'm not at all involved with them. Just drawing conclusions from previous conversations.

Assuming "Piss Up" means party with much alcohol imbibed, how funny (ironic) is it that the Canuck's won't let Ami's north to participate???

I have heard / read several stories on the tougher scrutiny for Ami's going North - no Dooey's, no minor criminal convictions - how bad is it in reality? If the Key west threads are even half accurate, there are quite a few scoundrels in the population of sailing crew....

I am also happy to see this regatta go away. The first one was great as there was a serious lack of attendance at any form of sailing regatta in Toronto and the NOOD's helped to bring about a bit of resurgance. The 2007 regatta was just a regatta that I had to take a day off from work for.

I am all in favour of some new, local, super regatta and Piss Up, lets start a thread and see who wants to run in and where.

So let's get serious. My old tub joined the majority in the Toronto area this very day by going bye-bye down to Wiggers in Bowmanville for the Winter so I'm just one of a bunch of people in need of an occupation for the next few months. The Greater Toronto Area Super Regatta And Pissup might be just the thing. Might have to shift a few old aunties out of our way in the matter of the title-might have to settle for "Festivities" instead of "Pissup" but it's the result that counts.

Impact, Viper,SOAP, and Chuck L, making a great event is often a matter of putting a bunch of small ones on the same program so that the regatta has impact and the organizers have a budget to work with and something to stretch their imaginations. Your own fleet gets something different from what it can get every week without leaving its own club and other fleets get to look at you on the water which is how fleets grow. Chuck L-what launch problem was that? RCYC's City Side crane wasn't the only option for NOOD. NYC has one and ABYC offered the use of its even though it wasn't a host club. EYC wouldn't turn you away either-not that kind of people. You'ld have lots of places to splash within 30 minutes of the regatta area.

Thisbe, Matno Beatno-yes, two 40.7s were denied entry at this year's Toronto NOOD. The owner of one had a DUI from 8 years back and two crew members on the other did not have identification in acceptable form. If they'd been Canadian boats trying to land in the USA they'd have had the same problem.Enough said on that topic-neither of us has a monopoly on stupidity in such matters but it must give Osama a chuckle to see us getting pissed of at each other as a result. If you've got a criminal code conviction of any kind, get clearance before you show up at the border or do something else for the weekend until we get back to the world as it should be.

I would expect a few clubs in the Toronto area to show interest in the GTASR&PU. Right now Mike Milner at RCYC is running with it but EYC-one of several clubs hereabouts that could do the job-is interested if RCYC doesn't take it anywhere and is prepared also to help if RCYC does. That's what I meant in my earlier post about stronger cooperation between clubs to recreate the great regattas of days gone by-not far and definitely not forgotten.

While all this is hissing and bubbling, isn't it great to read the positive note in the posts to date on this thread (is that what it's called?)about the chances of a new major regatta on Lake Ontario?. Could it be reaction to that magnificent Canada's Cup we just ran here in Toronto? That didn't come about because of the snivelling and carping that took place back in February/March on this Forum by people who hadn't a clue as to what was really going on in that matter. It came about because there were some who focussed on the great things that are possible when good people are determined to make them happen and perhaps we can add the GTASR&PU to that list.

Make that "can" a "will'.

Thanks.

RD

I have trailered numerous times from Canada to the US & back, never even been asked for boat documentation, once returning to Canada I was asked what my trailer license plate # was & of course I had no idea, after a simple trip to the back of the trailer we were on our way again.

BMO

Bump. The SR&P is an idea that should have legs.

EYC does a great job with their August regatta... would they host two? I'm just far enough from EYC these days that I can't properly judge... If not EYC, who's most likely to step up? RCYC/ABYC/NYC/? I'm hoping someone is already working on this.

Geez... if only there were an organization on Lake Ontario that could get the clubs together on this. A Committee or Council that promotes Racing.

Bump. The SR&P is an idea that should have legs.

EYC does a great job with their August regatta... would they host two? I'm just far enough from EYC these days that I can't properly judge... If not EYC, who's most likely to step up? RCYC/ABYC/NYC/? I'm hoping someone is already working on this.

Geez... if only there were an organization on Lake Ontario that could get the clubs together on this. A Committee or Council that promotes Racing.

A little jab at LYRA? I joined the ranks of owners only recently, and I don't live on the Lake anymore, but I'd appreciate a little perspective on that... It's a bad weekend for me (Civic holiday) but it's at least close to GTA (Whitby this year). Eastern Yachting Circuit (the other EYC) and CORK are both in Kingston - a bit of a hike for you GTA guys, I know.

So let's get serious...

Impact, Viper,SOAP, and Chuck L, making a great event is often a matter of putting a bunch of small ones on the same program so that the regatta has impact and the organizers have a budget to work with and something to stretch their imagination.

I agree -- on a micro level, it has been suggested that BHYC may look at a Kirby regatta in mid-July, but I am thinking that it's unlikely unless we can get a couple of other fleets interested. (The NOD - Nepean One-Design - is a good example of this. We get a few out-of-town Kirbys as well as a dozen Sharks and a million dinghies coming up for the weekend.) Same idea.

Chuck L-what launch problem was that?

Secondhand impression only -- "I wouldn't want to be fighting for the crane with all those J/24s and J/22s" was the way it was put to me. If the GTASR&PU were a true pan-lakefront regatta then you could indeed splash at any one of several clubs -- presumably the boats could be shepherded by fleet: the fleet course would be near the club whose RC was running that fleet, and the party for that fleet would be at that club. If say EYC ran the Kirby start, then I would drive there and launch. The Kirbys from FBYC, DYC and BHYC might sail out of their own club the first morning, but the Kirby party would be at EYC... you see what I mean.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I would expect a few clubs in the Toronto area to show interest in the GTASR&PU. Right now Mike Milner at RCYC is running with it but EYC-one of several clubs hereabouts that could do the job-is interested if RCYC doesn't take it anywhere and is prepared also to help if RCYC does. That's what I meant in my earlier post about stronger cooperation between clubs to recreate the great regattas of days gone by-not far and definitely not forgotten.

I suspect that if a few core clubs decided to make it happen, it will. All the fundamentals are already in place, the NOOD weekend may still be in people's minds -- and you can claim success if you match the 2007 NOOD registration levels. There must be sponsors lurking about for a 'big' GTA event (Molson's? Gosling's? Toronto Star?)

I agree the Canada's Cup has created some momentum among sailors, but it's up to the local clubs to try to get something established quickly! And if they already are, great -- I'll be checking my calendar and making noise within our own fleet to participate!

A little jab at LYRA?

No. A dig at those who believe there isn't a place for LORC. LORC is nothing more than a way for the GTA clubs to organize to promote area racing. I would hope that phones would be ringing right now and that conversations would be along the lines of "here's the opportunity, how do we maximize the turnout/party/sponsorship/value for racers' money".

Failing that, if one club is picking up the torch they need to be calling the rest to get logistical support.

No. A dig at those who believe there isn't a place for LORC. LORC is nothing more than a way for the GTA clubs to organize to promote area racing. I would hope that phones would be ringing right now and that conversations would be along the lines of "here's the opportunity, how do we maximize the turnout/party/sponsorship/value for racers' money".

Failing that, if one club is picking up the torch they need to be calling the rest to get logistical support.

Well, I would agree that LORC seems to have the right charter for the job...

To promote competitive sailing in the Greater Toronto Area of Lake Ontario and to coordinate racing for member clubs.

(Who knew that there was a Polish Canadian Yacht Club?)

Anyhow, as always, it's not the charter, it's the people and the desire. If the LORC can serve as the organizing vehicle, then great -- otherwise direct club-to-club contact will get things moving faster.

There are a few clubs that are not represented (I'm thinking about Dalhousie in St Catherines in particular, as well as any US clubs) but that shouldn't be a barrier to organizing a GTASR&PU and inviting everyone who will come.

I'm not sure I have anything else to add here (did I add anything in the first place?) except continuing encouragement, and perhaps my entry fee (if dates align and I can get the remainder of the class interested).

Pass this thread on to anyone considering their plans in the vacuum of the NOOD's departure!

There are a few clubs that are not represented (I'm thinking about Dalhousie in St Catherines in particular, as well as any US clubs) but that shouldn't be a barrier to organizing a GTASR&PU and inviting everyone who will come.

They weren't represented by the NOOD either. Not saying they don't have a place at the table, but ... it's a long way for them to come for logistical support. Then again, GTA RC boats go south to help out Youngstown, so it isn't without precident. There has always been a feeling that we could create something like Youngstown on the north shore... this should be it.

As the current chair of above mentioned organization, the Lake Ontario Racing Council I would like to respond to this.

I have just responded to a post on the LORC forum where the original poster wondered aloud why Chris Steer was promoting a replacement for the NOODs instead of promoting the LORC regattas, something he was an advocate for while he had the position of Chair of LORC. As Chair he was largely responsible for the NOODs coming to Toronto in the first place but did it outside of LORC. I suspect that there where some rules he had to abide by and that any connection between the two would not have been in favour of the Sailing Company. As the current Chair I also believe that such an event should be outside of LORC, LYRA or any other committee or council.

An event like the NOODs or the GTASR&PU requires stand alone sponsorship in order for the event to be a success for all. (sailors, host club and sponsors.) For an existing sailing committee to add something like this into an already full schedule would only hasten is desired demise or strain the efforts of the current volunteers. I am in favour of an event like this but would like to see it spun into something slightly different.

There are rumours that a Toronto based club is trying to hold a "champion's of champions' " regatta in late August. The premise is to have fleets participate who are holding a championship of some sort and instead of only a few boats attending you get many different boats and fleets. The sponsorship opportunities are great for an event like this and as a stand alone regatta it has the potential to surpass a Youngstown or definitely the NOODs Canadian attendance. What is needed in Toronto and as Chris has stated previously is not more racing but more quality racing. Just like good Scotch, as the product ages and the angels take their share, it becomes stronger and better. So too will sailing in Toronto in a post NOOD era as long as we don't dilute what is already there and concentrate on what is left.

Not sure a Champion of Champion's event could surpass a YYC LeVeL Regatta, but it's a great idea. Unless I am misunderstanding something. Champion of Champion's regatta sounds to me like a regatta with all OD fleets? Don't get me wrong, I like it! Why not look for assistance from the south shore? People may like the opportunity to be apart of it.....................

on another note, what if all the racing entities on LO banded together, north shore & south shore LYRA.LORC.SSRC.EYC etc. maybe less is more?

As the current Chair I also believe that such an event should be outside of LORC, LYRA or any other committee or council.

An event like the NOODs or the GTASR&PU requires stand alone sponsorship in order for the event to be a success for all. (sailors, host club and sponsors.) For an existing sailing committee to add something like this into an already full schedule would only hasten is desired demise or strain the efforts of the current volunteers. I am in favour of an event like this but would like to see it spun into something slightly different.

Thisbe

I really like the Champions of Champions idea. Very cool.

Re SR&P weekend, I guess I just don't understand, and would appreciate it if you could elaborate on this a bit. To my admittedly uneducated brain it looked like NOOD used the regular Toronto resources and added where they thought adding was needed. Earlier in this thread we've heard that we can do this ourselves using our resources. You have a number of fleets who already have the weekend in their calenders. Would it not be easier for LORC to mobilize the resources from all clubs rather than just one club (or a duo) trying to do the same?

I have just responded to a post on the LORC forum where the original poster wondered aloud why Chris Steer was promoting a replacement for the NOODs instead of promoting the LORC regattas...

...As the current [LORC] Chair I also believe that such an event should be outside of LORC, LYRA or any other committee or council.

There are rumours that a Toronto based club is trying to hold a "champion's of champions' " regatta in late August. The premise is to have fleets participate who are holding a championship of some sort and instead of only a few boats attending you get many different boats and fleets...

LORC discussion board here:

http://www.lorc.org/discus/messages/1/958.html?1193238257

Chris and Thisbe, you two seem to be key to this proposal and the issue in general! Let me understand -- there are (at least) 2 questions right now:

1) supporting various "open" regattas around the western end of the lake (i.e., EYC, ABYC, etc.) versus promoting one large one (i.e., NOOD or GTASR&PU, whatever); and,

2) assuming that one big regatta is a good thing, what organization should be promoting it? (i.e., LORC or an individual club.)

I'm also not completely sure about the nuances of the references to "open" regattas as you discuss one-design and "other" (PHRF?) fleets.

I think the Champion of Champions regatta may be confusing the picture (for me at least) -- you mentioned it but not in the context of what the GTASR&PU (need a shorter title or acronym for that) should or could be. I'm not sure what it really means anyhow - do you want to persuade the fleets to have their big event as part of the weekend (i.e., Shark Worlds/Canadians, Etchells, Kirby NAs, J/24 regional championship, 6 and 8 metre boats, C&C 27, C&C 34, etc. etc.) (Notice how I stuck the Kirby 25 NAs in the same sentence with all the other fleets.) How is this different from a SR&PU as a NOOD-type weekend?

(I'm not talking about regatta length or format at this stage.)

The concept of regatta fatigue is very valid. There is no way that people can attend a multitude of big events simply on the basis of time constraints. I'll need to pick one 'away' race myself next year, and in doing so I will support my (small) class if possible.

In the end, if one club steps forward to organize, it will (hopefully) be a large undertaking. Should the RCYC choose (as a club) to do it, great -- should the event grow to require the support of more clubs in the area (i.e., launching, parking, berthing, lawns, showers and BBQs, RCs and courses, not to mention organizational and promotional skills), then I am sure that either within or without the LORC, such assistance and participation will be forthcoming. This isn't the bad old days anymore.

In practical terms it doesn't matter who's letterhead this event would be organized under -- only that there are sufficient people to do it, and enough interest to bring the sailors. Doing it under the auspices of the LORC merely highlights the necessary inter club cooperation that has to be there anyhow.

Chuck

PS - John, 8 CAN 9 graces my screen saver along with several other 6s, 8s and Bluenose 22s. And "grace" is the correct word here. Thanks for providing the eye candy!

At the risk of being simplistic, why not just have everyone show up for LYRA?

It is supposed to be for all the clubs on the lake

They (should) already have a committee, plans for regalia, docking, help from other clubs

Whitby is sort of central, and close enough to Youngstown for boats that come west to do both

Mid summer - will be warm for parties

In the middle of the LORC break

Personally, I don't really care where the GTASR&PU is being considered to be held. What is important to me is that there is great, well organized racing, great land events, awards (perhaps each day and an overall on the last day), ample dockage, enough water in who's ever basin, onsite parking, decent food for a fair price, and enough boats in attendance (IRC and PHRF - colours and whitesail) to make it a worthwhile event.

Thoughts should be given to the promotion of the event and asking the question "why would I want to do this one?". Filing the slot now vacated by NOOD may not be enough motivation to get boats to attend.

There is so much that goes in to planning something like this including how many days the event will last. Whom ever is taking up the charge, get to planning it earlier than later. The 2008 LORC calendar is already up and I've started seeing posters/ads for one-off events for the summer season already.

Personally, I don't really care...

What she said. I don't care who picks up the torch, I just hope that we improve on what we just lost.

At the risk of being simplistic...
...Whom ever is taking up the charge, get to planning it earlier than later...

Yup, simple is good.

Soon is good, too.

With a bit less verbiage,here's the Master Plan:

1. Suddenly we have an unexpected space in our GTA 2008 Season.

2. RCYC is affected by said space and its Sailing Director has floated the thought that RCYC might fill it with something special-a Canadian NOOD but much more than that.

3. He mentionned that to me and thus was born the idea of the GTASR&PU. A regatta with lots of emphasis on the "stay at the Yacht Club and party" piece of the formula- bring your boat, bring your tent, mix and mingle. That's the missing bit in most North Shore regattas.

4. Put it where NOOD was -just before the end of June- so as to keep it clear of Youngstown, LYRA -which come along 5 weeks later -and the Champion Of Champions idea which I'm just now hearing about.The LORC Schedule is already arranged around it. It's out of the way and there is, after all, a new space on that date. Something is going to use it.

5. Bring the GTA clubs together to provide enough courses and personnel to ensure high quality racing for all Classes, OD or Handicap plus launch facilities. We'd only be doing what we've done on that weekend for the past 4 (right?) years and were expecting to do this year and on the same date so no fuss.

My holding forth on this Forum won't of itself make this thing happen. I'm on here to get feedback from others and try to guage therefrom the interest that such a regatta-our very own and any way we want it-might raise in GTA clubs and fleets and those from further away. Is there support out there?Anybody out there who'll pitch it to his/her own club and/or fleet and get lots of boats heading in this direction next June.

By the way, I like the name GTASR&PU. Sounds like some wierd old railway and say what you like but they were going SOMEWHERE which our local yacht racing doesn't always seem to be. I suspect RCYC will bin it.

My holding forth on this Forum won't of itself make this thing happen. I'm on here to get feedback from others and try to guage therefrom the interest that such a regatta-our very own and any way we want it-might raise in GTA clubs and fleets and those from further away. Is there support out there?Anybody out there who'll pitch it to his/her own club and/or fleet and get lots of boats heading in this direction next June.

By the way, I like the name GTASR&PU. Sounds like some wierd old railway and say what you like but they were going SOMEWHERE which our local yacht racing doesn't always seem to be. I suspect RCYC will bin it.

Chris - am I to understand that you're taking up the charge on making this happen. I'd volunteer you :)

HH

Chris - am I to understand that you're taking up the charge on making this happen. I'd volunteer you :)

HH

I'd second that motion!

5. Bring the GTA clubs together to provide enough courses and personnel to ensure high quality racing for all Classes, OD or Handicap plus launch facilities. We'd only be doing what we've done on that weekend for the past 4 (right?) years and were expecting to do this year and on the same date so no fuss.

This was what I was hoping for. Nice...

Ahh yes, but will there be any single malt and stinky cheese? One must have their priorities in order.

All I am at this moment is a booster for the idea of the GTASR&PU. The Board Of Directors at RCYC decides how the facilities of the club may best be used to advance whatever agenda is currently being pursued but inspiration is sometimes useful and, when it has struck, workers may be needed from among the proeletariat.

Stinky cheese? The Cambazola that is the central ingredient of the Maggie Kelly sandwich has never been called stinky (don't we have an Anarchist of that name-would not wish to infringe his patent)by the MK crew. Something we should know?

Anyway, I'm hoping that RCYC will grab the idea of the GTASR&PU and turn it into what the North Shore of LO needs and what I first went after the NOOD to provide. Only thing wrong withh the NOOD was that the registation fees went South-it WAS their regatta- and we Canadians had to follow a One Design format that excluded a lot of boats from participation. We can fix both those things when it's OUR regatta.

But above all let's have fun.

Contest idea:

Think of a new name that uses the same acronym.

(I just didn't like it because I had to retype it several times, and my fingers are getting clmeuisr all the time.)

Chuck L-that suggestion could only have come from the Nation's Capital.

Dear Mr. Steer:

We at the Department of Canadian Heritage / Ministere du patrimoine canadien would like to thank you for your recent request for a Canadian flag.

We are conducting a quality audit as it seems that, due to the overwhelming popularity of the program (hell, when does anything come for free from the government anymore?), a number of different flags were shipped in error.

In the haste to spend millions of taxpayer dollars on this fine feel-good program, most of which I would hasten to add are being spent outside of the province of Québec, it seems that a number of other flags, including the Confederate flag, the fleur-de-lis, and the Texas "Don't fuck with me" state flag were sent in place of the Red Ensign. Please accept our apologies if you received one of these in error.

We here in Ottawa take our obligations very seriously, and when things go awry, heads roll! Hopefully we can blame this screw-up on Canada Post so that it's their heads and not ours.

In the event that you did not receive your Canadian flag in good order, please contact us as soon as possible and we will have a replacement in the mail to you in time for the next Flag day (February 12, 2003).

Sincerely,

Hon. Sheila Copps,

Minister

Seriously, Chris, a simple acronym swap is the fastest way to get to GTASR&PU past the powers that be. Any good bureaucrat knows that.

The NOOD date kinda sucks for me personally, but there's a lot of sense in using it for a big new regatta. And I have to say that I kinda like the idea of camping on the lawn of the RCYC. I read the dress code -- it's no wonder I felt uneasy even walking past the city clubhouse 20 years ago when we lived in T.O. I can't imagine how the club will react to a bunch of drunk and slovenly sailors in heaps on the lawn come Saturday morning, but I suppose it's happened before, so it's really just a shortcoming of my imagination.

On another note, organized lift-out at NSC is on Saturday. BYC came out 2 weeks ago. It's going to be minus 7 on Monday and I'll need to chip the ice away from the boat to go sailing next week (I'm on a trailer, and the crane is still operating for another month, especially if it's going to be a fall like last year!)

Can't wait till next year!

Cheers.

And I have to say that I kinda like the idea of camping on the lawn of the RCYC.

Personally, I look forward to camping on the bowling green.

With a bit less verbiage,here's the Master Plan:

1. Suddenly we have an unexpected space in our GTA 2008 Season.

2. RCYC is affected by said space and its Sailing Director has floated the thought that RCYC might fill it with something special-a Canadian NOOD but much more than that.

3. He mentionned that to me and thus was born the idea of the GTASR&PU. A regatta with lots of emphasis on the "stay at the Yacht Club and party" piece of the formula- bring your boat, bring your tent, mix and mingle. That's the missing bit in most North Shore regattas.

4. Put it where NOOD was -just before the end of June- so as to keep it clear of Youngstown, LYRA -which come along 5 weeks later -and the Champion Of Champions idea which I'm just now hearing about.The LORC Schedule is already arranged around it. It's out of the way and there is, after all, a new space on that date. Something is going to use it.

Viperers are really good at (3.) And the arguments for the June date seem clear.

I'm sort of repeating what I said above. And I've a personal interest--we have a Viper and want to race it against other similar boats. But that said, I think it would be really good for sailing in the GTA if the SR&PU included a start or starts for sportsboats under 25 ft. There's lots of evidence elsewhere on this forum that this is a growth area in the sport, and Toronto sailors should be part of that growth. If there was room for a start just for Vipers, there are crews from the US who are interested in coming up here to race--see the post above from Viper640.org. Or if the decision is for a mixed sportsboat fleet, that's fine too--U20's, M24's--SB3's & Open 5.7's if there are any here by 2008--bring 'em all on & we can race on handicap. But the GTA needs to promote some new small keelboat designs that people can get into on a limited budget--as well as supporting the fleets we already have, like Sharks & Kirbys.

SoaP

Barkley: For God's good sake man-no jokes about the bowling green. Remember Tam O'Shanter's mare.

SOAP: Now that this thing isn't a NOOD any more, RCYC can make up its own version of who and what races and whether you get your very own start/finish depends on the numbers you bring. Suggest you float the possibility of the GTASR&PU past your fleet and see what interest you get. We still have to confirm the interest of the powers that is in this bastion of privilege but having some numbers to toss around wouldn't hurt.

Chuck L: I haven't received the original of the letter from Our Ms. Copps-doubtless still in the hands of Canada Post-but the flag we fly on Maggie Kelly looks like this.

Mike Milner has some mildly revolutionary ideas around this regatta which, if authorized by our BoD, will surprise many in our local sailing community and, in my humble view-had I such a thing,improve the scheduling of races in the GTA and maybe a bit beyond.

Stay tuned. I can't see RCYC turning Mike-and others-down on this one.

post-2793-1193428428.jpg

Barkley: For God's good sake man-no jokes about the bowling green. Remember Tam O'Shanter's mare.

Chuck L: I haven't received the original of the letter from Our Ms. Copps-doubtless still in the hands of Canada Post-but the flag we fly on Maggie Kelly looks like this.

Harp Lager?

(I'll have to find a White Ensign somewhere...)

Actually Barkley's right, the bowling green is probably a lot flatter and has better drainage than the lawn. I'll have to hear the story about Tam O'Shanter's mare. (Was that at a regatta?)

Sounds good, Chris. Keep up the encouraging words!

BTW I pointed-out the threads here and on LORC to David Weatherston (C&C 27 Association) and the Kirby class, and will continue to spread the word from here.

SOAP: Now that this thing isn't a NOOD any more, RCYC can make up its own version of who and what races and whether you get your very own start/finish depends on the numbers you bring. Suggest you float the possibility of the GTASR&PU past your fleet and see what interest you get. We still have to confirm the interest of the powers that is in this bastion of privilege but having some numbers to toss around wouldn't hurt.

Stay tuned. I can't see RCYC turning Mike-and others-down on this one.

Will do. Are June 21-22 the provisional dates?

SoaP

The search for a better name..... In a battle GTASR&PU v.s. NOOD, I think the simplicity of 'NOOD' wins.

I vote for the "SHIT" regatta

Sailing

Hard

In

Toronto

Make it a better piss up, at ONE location, allow tents, organize a little breakfast and a band - and you will have a winner.

Home with flu-nothing to do. Could be the start of one of my many fabulous poems (unpublished, unappreciated, unheard of. I'm a bit ahead of my time-by maybe 200 years-but that's the way with true genius. ) but why don't we get the Toronto NOOD or rather its proposed replacement back onto page 1 where we can get some ideas going.

The RCYC Fleet executive is meeting on November 20 next and this matter will be raised at that time. I guess we're in a bit of a hiatus til that happens but let it be hoped that a "go forward" decision will be taken at that time because this kind of regatta needs to be announced (details to follow) before the fleets that we hope to attract have aready made up their schedules for the comng season. Committees that meet but once a month can be a very slow ticking clock .

Buddha, thanks for making my suggested name look pretty suave by comparison. I'll put it on the list with that in mind.Gratefully received

Canada's Cup was a real upper for us here in Toronto and creates a great climate in which to plan new stuff such as the GTSR&PU. Coming at the end of the season when we're all kind of letting down with all the "real stuff" behind us,it was a great fight between Honour and Heartbreaker right to literally the last second of the final race and the best CC I've ever seen and I've been watching them since 1969. A "real upper" when the US won? I sort of surprise myself with that but it is true. Canadians-and Alek Krystajic, owner and skipper of Honour first among- them don't like coming second but this was a contest between skippers and crews of which you could be totally proud whichever flag you were waving. And,besides, we are coming to get it back in 2009!

That was less a tangent than a reflection on how magnificent the sport of yacht racing can be and how it can lift ordinary mortals out of and above the daily routine of mediocre toil and into the realm of glory and the best that is in us to give. That's what we saw and that's what we should always look for at the sharp end of yacht racing.

I think sailing may be a little different next year because of Canada's Cup-a little different and a lot better. The GTASR&PU should slide in around June 21/22 in 2008 and will perhaps bring changes in the season's schedule and possibly a new look in regattas in these parts but I'm drifting into the realm of prophecy for which I do not have a license.

Nice to hear from other interested parties. This is as good a place as any to boost this regatta and help make it happen.

Bump.

The RCYC Fleet executive is meeting on November 20 next and this matter will be raised at that time.

Any word on what will be pitched to the board?

Call this mildly informed speculation and don't be surprised if what comes out of that meeting is different. There might, for example, be a change in the name.

What's being floated around is the idea of a truly major regatta involving classes from Optimists through Lasers on to J22s/24s and on up to the 40ft plus classes.

The cooperation of the Clubs who worked together on the NOOD is in the air to help with launching, running courses and perhaps hosting classes that may fit best with them.

Target? 400 boats. We've got easily that many within easy reach of Toronto and it's just a matter of making it worth their while to pencil in this time slot for the GTASR&PU.

My personal hope is that we'll be able to make a solid announcement of this regatta before the end of November so that fleets and individuals can start making plans.

Up until a few years ago, the Lake Ontario Racing Council ran the Open Regatta Series, handled registration, ran the courses,kept the registration fees. There wasn't much reason for a Club to take a major interest in what was supposedly its own regatta. Then four years ago LORC passed the race management to the Clubs and with that 90% of the registration fees to give them a budget with which to work so that they could run their very own regatta the way they wanted to. We've seen a change in the way regattas work hereabouts since then and it's a continuing one of which maybe the GTASR&PU is a developement.

We have 5 Open Regattas in the GTA and our season runs May to September which happens to be 5 months. Maybe we're beginning a move to one major Open Regatta per month with a Host Club in cooperation with other Clubs putting on the best event it knows how. Clubs helping each other with equipment and personnel and in whatever way brings the greatest regattas this lake has ever seen.

As I said, just speculating but it does feel good. Let's see where we go from here

Given the available fleet on LO, and in GTA, it would seem that so many of you are right - more quality racing is good. 10,000 boats in the GTA - that's a big number. Back when I could sail every big regatta, I would have loved an event like this as a tune up for Levels and LYRA.

Like someone said above - nothing GTA can't do that NOOD could - just buy an ad in "that magazine" that we all hate but buy every month, and go for it.

Cheers to Chris Steer and his vision. Cheers to Piss up, SHIT or.............I know, "X-Nood"! AH, that sounds better.

Had to go back to page 3-or was it 5?- to find this thread.Not sure but I hope one post will return it to its place in the sun although right now there's not much of that in Toronto.

To begin: The GTASR&PU@RCYC.2008 has been approved by RCYC's Fleet Executive (including the name-so far!) and is currently scheduled to take place on the weekend of June 14/15,2008, which may be extended backwards to include the Friday.

It replaces the Toronto NOOD and also RCYC's Open Regatta which are now combined into this one super event.Intention is to invite Keel and Dinghy fleets, the latter including Multi-Hulls.Did that last bit need saying or do Mhs call themselves dinghies? I've led a sheltered life although I did sail a Hobie 16 once-nice but no ice-box and definitely no cushions. But I digress.

Emphasis will be on enough courses that everybody is sailing in compatible company, good maybe even excellent race management and the day on the Lake followed by the best social program we can provide. Participants encouraged to stay at the club on their boats or in tents for which plenty of room will be provided-but NOT on the Bowling Green. Tempting, though-think of the entertainment!

I'm exactly one day into being Chair of this one so this is all pretty preliminary but the basics are firm and the details will follow.Pencil it in-it's going to be a blast on and off the water. And not a blast from the past but from right NOW.

Had to go back to page 3-or was it 5?- to find this thread.Not sure but I hope one post will return it to its place in the sun although right now there's not much of that in Toronto.

To begin: The GTASR&PU@RCYC.2008 has been approved by RCYC's Fleet Executive (including the name-so far!) and is currently scheduled to take place on the weekend of June 14/15,2008, which may be extended backwards to include the Friday.

Chris, Chris, Chris...

You're a foolish man to take-on event organization... but thousands will thank you. Congratulations on pulling this together (so far, that is) and gaining the support of your club executive!

At this point I have to say that I will not be one of them (the thankful attendees), I'm afraid, as the Nepean One Design is the same weekend (Father's Day). The NOD is a Kirby fleet race, so it's not even an option to ditch the family and my home club in exchange for for camping on the bowling green. We normally attract a few DYC and BYC boats as well...

You will have a great regatta on your hands -- I look forward to hearing about it!

I hope to sail in Frenchman's Bay in August -- that will unfortunately be as close as I come to RCYC this summer. Keep news coming, here and on LORC.

Cheers,

Chuck

It replaces the Toronto NOOD and also RCYC's Open Regatta which are now combined into this one super event.Intention is to invite Keel and Dinghy fleets, the latter including Multi-Hulls.Did that last bit need saying or do Mhs call themselves dinghies? I've led a sheltered life although I did sail a Hobie 16 once-nice but no ice-box and definitely no cushions. But I digress.

Emphasis will be on enough courses that everybody is sailing in compatible company, good maybe even excellent race management and the day on the Lake followed by the best social program we can provide. Participants encouraged to stay at the club on their boats or in tents for which plenty of room will be provided-but NOT on the Bowling Green. Tempting, though-think of the entertainment!

I'm exactly one day into being Chair of this one so this is all pretty preliminary but the basics are firm and the details will follow.Pencil it in-it's going to be a blast on and off the water. And not a blast from the past but from right NOW.

Okay....Chris we will do our bit to drum up support. I will make sure it goes into the 2008 Calendar of events and class newsletter. Our attendance might start small but grow over 3 years. We have a couple of new boats going into Ontario over this winter to join SoaP, and we think it will grow from there, so let's make this our rendez vous regatta. The stay around at the club/showers available after racing.....dinghy style camraderie regatta....should be a very attractive formula.

I found the name of the Regatta hard to remember and had no idea what it stood for without re-reading the whole thread.....could it be a bit shorter or an easier acronym?

OSRandPU (Ontario Super Regatta and Piss UP) or TOSR & PU (TOronto Super Regatta & Piss UP) . or The Big Toronto Open Event......The soon to be infamous "Big TOE".

I echo an earlier comment that the smaller sports boats classes are crying out for a "Run What Ya Brung" class for small sports boats (18 to 24 ft) with a Portsmouth handicap. You might get a lot of takers,,,,,U20s, Vipers, Open 5.70s, SB3, M24s etc.

Thanks Chuck L. and Viper -nice to know my painfully tapped out missives are reaching an audience and a friendly one at that!

Viper, to save you tracking back so far at some future time, let me record right here what GTASR&PU@RCYC>2008 stands for.

As follows:

Greater Toronto Area Super Regatta & PissUp. It's at Royal Canadian Yacht Club and it's happening next year, 2008,weekend of June 14/15.

This isn't precisely the sort of title for which RCYC is noted-we tend more towards the traditional and, frankly, stodgy- but much as I admire and share those qualities of my club, I get the sense that they don't work so well as they once did. Provisionally, therefore, we're using something that expresses the mood of this regatta which is to be a party on the RCYC Island interupted by some bloody good racing on the Lake. We are looking for a younger crowd so we don't have to send the band home on the 9 o'clock ferry. They are, after all,paid for the whole evening and the racoons can wait until after midnight to retake possession of the clubhouse.

What's a Run What Ya Brung race-sort of mixed classes thing? And has that Big TOe thing been used?

Mike Milner is on vacation-Coconut Grove I suspect where I'll be myself by Dec 14 next. When I track him down some serious organization will start happening.

Thanks Chuck L. and Viper -nice to know my painfully tapped out missives are reaching an audience and a friendly one at that!

Viper, to save you tracking back so far at some future time, let me record right here what GTASR&PU@RCYC>2008 stands for.

As follows:

Greater Toronto Area Super Regatta & PissUp. It's at Royal Canadian Yacht Club and it's happening next year, 2008,weekend of June 14/15.

This isn't precisely the sort of title for which RCYC is noted-we tend more towards the traditional and, frankly, stodgy- but much as I admire and share those qualities of my club, I get the sense that they don't work so well as they once did. Provisionally, therefore, we're using something that expresses the mood of this regatta which is to be a party on the RCYC Island interupted by some bloody good racing on the Lake. We are looking for a younger crowd so we don't have to send the band home on the 9 o'clock ferry. They are, after all,paid for the whole evening and the racoons can wait until after midnight to retake possession of the clubhouse.

What's a Run What Ya Brung race-sort of mixed classes thing? And has that Big TOe thing been used?

Mike Milner is on vacation-Coconut Grove I suspect where I'll be myself by Dec 14 next. When I track him down some serious organization will start happening.

Chris and all--this is terrific news; I've pencilled the 14th & 15th in for Grendel (Viper #70) next summer. There should be a couple more Canadian Vipers by then--maybe enough for a start. if not, the 'run what you brung' concept came up on another thread in the sportsboat forum. One line, one start, for sportsboats 19-25 feet. Handicap them with portsmouth numbers or whatever is easiest-- the idea being to get as many sportsboats ands sportsboat fans out on the course (and into the party!) as possible. Besides us Viperers, there are rumored to be some M24s at NYC, and it would be great to get U20's from Ottawa and from Sarnia. That would be great racing.

Maybe the SR&PU should have it's own thread!

SoaP

SOAP: Would you care to go after those other classes and get them down here for the party and to do a bit of sailing?

You didn't respond re the Big Toe thing. That has possibilities if I'm forced to retreat in the matter of the name of this regatta. Has it been used before?

Might be a change in date. One of the other GTA clubs has rather a lot going on on the 14/15 weekend and has asked if we can move to ,say, June 7/8 which is where the RCYC Open was in 2007.We're checking.

I'll start a GTASR&PU@RCYC.2008 thread shortly. Would you believe some people tell me it's too hard to remember all those letters? We're not short of folks for whom a little mental excercise would not come amiss. Pride of authorship talking here!

If there is a demand for a Run What Ya Brung event that is justified by turnout you'll find us very willing to lay it on. This is RCYC's regatta to do as it pleases and the emphasis is on getting the numbers and, frankly, seeing some classes that we haven't seen on our Open Regatta courses in time gone by. That's what the SR bit is about!

I second the "Big TOe" name, very sticky and lends itself to all sorts of fun...

SOAP: Would you care to go after those other classes and get them down here for the party and to do a bit of sailing?

You didn't respond re the Big Toe thing. That has possibilities if I'm forced to retreat in the matter of the name of this regatta. Has it been used before?

Might be a change in date. One of the other GTA clubs has rather a lot going on on the 14/15 weekend and has asked if we can move to ,say, June 7/8 which is where the RCYC Open was in 2007.We're checking.

I'll start a GTASR&PU@RCYC.2008 thread shortly. Would you believe some people tell me it's too hard to remember all those letters? We're not short of folks for whom a little mental excercise would not come amiss. Pride of authorship talking here!

If there is a demand for a Run What Ya Brung event that is justified by turnout you'll find us very willing to lay it on. This is RCYC's regatta to do as it pleases and the emphasis is on getting the numbers and, frankly, seeing some classes that we haven't seen on our Open Regatta courses in time gone by. That's what the SR bit is about!

June 7/8 might help with turnout as it avoids having a regatta on Father's Day weekend (June 14/15).

M.

So which sponsor doesn't do business in Canada? Sperry Top-Sider or Sailing World or ???

Are you sure there wasn't some other problem?

=========

Sperry Top-Sider NOOD Series Adds Seattle Stop

--

Dec 3, 2007

By The Editors (More articles by this author)

Sailing World, owner and organizer of the Sperry Top-Sider National Offshore One-Design (NOOD) Regatta, announced today the addition of a Seattle stop to its 2008 schedule. The Seattle NOOD will be co-hosted by the Seattle Yacht Club and the Corinthian Yacht Club and is set to take place on Puget Sound, May 16-18, 2008, with registration scheduled for Thursday, May 15.

"Having the NOOD Regatta in Seattle already has excitement building among the one-design fleets in the Northwest," stated Bobbi Campbell, Seattle Yacht Club's chair for the event. Joe James, commodore of Corinthian Yacht Club, adds, "Both yacht clubs look forward to working together to present exciting races, great onshore activities, and showcase the new port facilities at Shilshole Bay Marina for this significant event."

Seattle has an excellent sailing community and the NOOD Regatta looks to kick off the first Seattle NOOD with great representation and support from local and traveling one-design fleets.

The addition of Seattle will round out the series' presence on the West Coast, complementing the San Diego regatta, and will mark the first time an NOOD has taken place in the Pacific Northwest.

"As title sponsor of the Sperry Top-Sider NOOD Regatta, we are very excited to add the Pacific Northwest to our lineup of exciting regattas in 2008," said Karen Pitts, vice president of marketing for Sperry Top-Sider. "We are looking forward to working with hosts Seattle Yacht Club and Corinthian Yacht Club to offer an outstanding event to Seattle-area sailors."

So which sponsor doesn't do business in Canada? Sperry Top-Sider or Sailing World or ???

Are you sure there wasn't some other problem?

Cirdan, see further up -- LZ hits it on the head. NAFTA or not, moving stuff across the border can be a pain. That plus the dwindling entries killed it.

So the racing stays but the "NOOD" goes -- it wasn't meant to be. Racing will go on without the NOOD, SW, Sperry and Mount Gay!

The king is dead, long live the king.

Racing will go on without the NOOD, SW, Sperry and Mount Gay!

NOOD, SW, and Sperry can go, but personally I'd like to keep Mount Gay.

:ph34r:

I'm hearing things.....Like....

The Toronto Area Hospice Regatta (One Design).

Word is a two day regatta June 21,22

Great racing and management and Overall Winner will qualify to go to

The (Inter)National Hospice Regatta Championship in Annapolis

I also heard ahhh, never mind its early yet...

I understand its going to be tight and bright.

To the RCYC, and all the Toronto clubs.

What the hell happened to the CYRA.

NOOD, SW, and Sperry can go, but personally I'd like to keep Mount Gay.

Sorry, Barkley, but someone was talking about Gosling's at some point.

If not, then MG should stay, I concur.

C

Chris--

as between the weekend of the 7-8 and 14-15--you've probably already heard that the 14th & 15th is the weekend of the Nepean One-Designs. That means Ultimate 20's will be in Ottawa & possibly other sportsboats as well (there's at least one new Viper going to Ottawa). So from that point of view the 7-8th would be better.

Thanks for taking the lead on this & for updates as necessary

--SoaP

To the RCYC, and all the Toronto clubs.

What the hell happened to the CYRA.

"Bump"

History lesson first: CYRA was in years gone by the Cruising Yacht Racing Association on the North Shore of Lake Ontario. It organized the point to point racing in memory, I guess,of the days when Yacht Clubs would race from one club to another and stay overnight, back home the next day. The Blockhouse Bay race sponsored by IYC was that kind of race-Saturday from Toronto to Olcott,party and then on Sunday back to Toronto.The Boswell, Susan Hood and at least one other race were Overnights and the season wound up with the Frostbite races-three of them on succeeding weekends-along the North Shore as far as Oakville. Got snowed on a few times on those things and took to carrying a few bottles of Saki on board. After the finish, bucket of LO heated up on the stove with the bottles in it. Wonderfully warming but it sometimes took a couple of tries to get through the Western Gap!

Metro Yacht Racing Council (MYRC) ran the Regatta Series. Just one race on Saturday on a three-mile triangle starting halfway up the weather leg, a starboard reach from the weather mark to the Weekly Jibe then on to the port-jibe leg and then up the remaining 1.5 mile weather leg to the finish.Seems to me we had ten of these regattas perseason???

All pretty Mickey-Mouse if you like but we got easily 400 boats out to each and every one of these things and most of them were out there for the sheer fun of the thing and for the chance to handle their boats and make them go as fast as they could be persuaded to move and so what if some ah with a new jib was a bit faster. Within any one fleet there were lots of races from the Quality who were fighting for First Place to the rest of us who were just trying to get ahead of the guy who beat us last week and then the most vicious battle of all between last and next to last.Been on both sides of that one!

And it was great racing with great parties to follow. Not the skill levels we see now, perhaps, because we were ther to have FUN and you didn't see guys taking their bat and ball and going home because they couldn't sail to their rating-they found their race within the race and just did the best they could do and worked on making it better.

CYRA and MYRC were replaced by the Lake Ontario Racing Council which currently combines their functions. I forget just when-easily ten years ago, probably more.

On to current topics (slightly reluctantly),I'm waiting for RCYC's decision re the date for the GTASR&PU@RCYC.2008. We were going for the 14/15 of June but that collides with EYC's 40th Anniversary Celebrations at which a number of fleets are going to be present which we'd also like to see at the GTAetc. Plus the Nepean thing that SOAP speaks of so we're looking at the date formerly allocated to the RCYC Open (6/7) or the date ofthe late NOOD (21/22). Decision early next week, I'm told.

Once that's fixed-and I'm back from Miami- I'll be starting a new thread and forming a committee to do all the work for which I shall take the credit should there be any.

If those of you who have expressed support for this regatta could talk it up in your fleet, your club or anytime you're around sailors, that'll help too.

Merry Christmas to all. I'm heading for the airport. Hope I beat that big storm that's heading for Toronto.

bump.

FYI, the Nepean NOD has been scheduled for June 21/22 (the weekend following Father's Day).

(stilll looking for the new thread...)

bump.

FYI, the Nepean NOD has been scheduled for June 21/22 (the weekend following Father's Day).

(stilll looking for the new thread...)

bump. Still no new thread, but what I get from Chuck's posting and from the LCRC forum is that the GTASR&PU is scheduled for the 14th & 15th at RCYC and the Nepeaan OD's are on the 21/22. Is that right? Chris?

SoaP

The LORC formu jas nothing of interest. I'm hoping this will get the powers that be to spread the word. So common Chris, what's happening with the GTASR&PU. No news since February 13.

Hang in Centurion-I didn't die, just acted like I had.The stitches came out on Thursday, I'm walking around a bit and even the mind is beginning to function. Which is all you need to know of my past six weeks.

The GTASR Committee continued to do its thing in my absence and a summary of just what that was will be with you all as soon as I can convene a meeting-ie this next week or the following. Meanwhile,good of you to get us back on the front page where we will now contrive to stay. Guess I'll use the update to commence a new thread.Why am I doing that? Must have seemed like a good idea at the time.

What we're aiming at here is a young crowd and towards that end we've asked RCYC's Roaring Twenties group (they're in their twenties and not usually being quiet about it-hence the subtle play on words)to do the onshore entertainment bit. They've been up and running two-three years now and have put on some great parties at the club and elsewhere. They get good crowds. What we want them to do at RCYC is what they do when they are not at RCYC and are catering to their age group. I think I said somewhere before that the older crowd will head for a young party but the younger crowd is less likely to be attracted to anything that looks like a wake.

I've long had a bee in my bonnet that what's needed to turn a good sailing event into a great regatta is to keep it all going on shore with good food, drink and music where one can party with one's crew and with the people that have been trying to do you in all day long. There have been far too many regattas where most boats go back to their own club, and those who do go to the Host Club find little waiting for them,stay on their own boat or within their group. What sort of party is that, what sort of Host, what sort of Club?

If you're going to have a party, its polite to offer your guests a place to stay just in case they get a bit beyond where it is wise to drive home. We really want boats to come in and stay over Saturday night (like Youngstown-always like Youngstown) and those who bring tents will find grass to pitch them and washrooms handy.

We reportedly have commitments from a large number/variety of dinghies, Olympics and we are expecting a mob of catamarans (for some reason an unusual sight at RCYC. Odd) and we have such fleets as the 8Metres, J105s ,J35s, CC27s committed to us this early in the season long before we've normally heard that there are going to be any keel boats racing at all this year. We have not yet begun to dig them out of the snow-but we will.

The date is June 14/15. NORs are, I believe ready to go. There is a registration fee-ours to justify-and all we need now is 200+ boats parked in every spare space at RCYC on Saturday night and their owners and crew lining up for a great breakfast on Sunday morning. I always loved that in days gone by-the soft morning, the boats stiring, the occasional groan.

Did I mention that fleets have the choice between a one day or a two day regatta? There are those fortunate enough to have the sort of family that they would rather not be gone from for both days of the weekend just as there are those who wouldnt dare. We'll look after you as well and be glad to see you.

That's the flavour of what we are putting together. Why have we all spent so much time doing ORDINARY things when we could have been having a blast? Let's make the Bowling Green jump higher than the clubhouse roof this one evening (but please stay off it-I do not wish to be lynched) and just do something because its fun. It's a sufficient agenda.

Easter is just the time for revelations and mine came to me last night on my third Lagavulin (after my third Creemore-God we drink well in Ontario!).

The reason I have to change the name of this thread is because it's called the 2008 Toronto NOOD and it's not going to be one of those.

Churlish to say it's going to be a lot better, of course, but we're going to give it our best shot. Recalling last year's Canada's Cup, our local best shots are pretty damn good.

Soap, how are those slithery things of yours doing?

Thanks for the update Chris. Glad to hear you are back in the picture.

Irish Toast to go with the next Lagavulin.

"Here's to women's kisses,

and to whiskey, amber clear;

Not as sweet as a woman's kiss,

but a darn sight more sincere!

Thanks Centurion. Good poem.

The Roaring Twenties had a meeting last evening to discuss their more or less final plans for the entertainment part of all this and we're going to get their program before the end of this week. I'm looking forward to that

This week we're emailing each other-on the Committee- in order to catch up with what the various parts of our Committee have been doing and I'm hoping to pull a meeting with the entire group on next Tuesday where we'll bang the whole lot together.

When everything is pulled together, it's a matter of how many boats we attract. Once we've got the whole on- and- off the water bash laid on and can tell everybody what's on offer, well, we can start getting actual registrations and all those commitments from various fleets become solid.

Good preliminary commitments from a good number of fleets but having done a few of these things, there's nothing like getting the registration forms in. About half come in in the last week!

Different in this-eg from the NOOD, LORC and Youngstown regattas-will be the presence of Dinghy and Cat fleets. Should emphasize the youth aspect and that'll be no bad thing.

This in the meantime to fill up a bit of space. Do you know it's only a week or two to sailing? Bit chilly right now but the harbour looked beautiful on the weekend. Can't wait to be on it and beyond.

Yeomen's work, Chris. Many thanks for all the effort.

What he said.

Anything new?

Hang in Centurion-I didn't die, just acted like I had.The stitches came out on Thursday, I'm walking around a bit and even the mind is beginning to function. Which is all you need to know of my past six weeks.

Chris:

Glad the sex change went well.

Sounds like a terrific plan for a regatta! It means more when it's yours (and not SW's or Sperry's or whatever). Is that new thread up yet on SA?

Cheers,

Chuck