Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Down To The Wire

AAARRRGGGGHHH. About 12:45 Honour's display stopped updating. She had been consistently sailing lower than HB, at the same speed. Then HB gybed a total of 5 times until she crossed the line. Honour's display never changed.

Someone take pity on me and do a play by play....please

I expect the Dawg or Ed to show up in here and let us know what happened to SA, but it was down for a bit there. We're back up - but something happened to Honour's transponder during a gybe, and she stopped sending. This is infuriating!

Jerry jumped on the boat in between races, replaced the unit, but we can't get it to display - the problem may actually have been with the battery pack.

When the organizers understand how important the live stuff is, they will write provisions into the SI's where we can postpone to fix this kind of thing. Until then, you'll all have to be happy with the play by play.

7 minutes until the start. We're here, we'll keep you posted.

-Clean

I expect the Dawg or Ed to show up in here and let us know what happened to SA, but it was down for a bit there. We're back up - but something happened to Honour's transponder during a gybe, and she stopped sending. This is infuriating!

Jerry jumped on the boat in between races, replaced the unit, but we can't get it to display - the problem may actually have been with the battery pack.

When the organizers understand how important the live stuff is, they will write provisions into the SI's where we can postpone to fix this kind of thing. Until then, you'll all have to be happy with the play by play.

And that we will...

In future, for match races, could there be 2 transmitters on each boat? IonEarth can choose which signal to post, and switch if one goes away... (BTW, can't they use the cell network instead of satellite for comms off the transmitters?)

[EDIT -- The Lo-fi is about 2 hours behind at this point -- can we all agree (as the numbers come back up past 160) to refresh no more than every 5 minutes? -- I take it back, it seems to be good.]

Boy, you sure miss it once it goes...

Honour wins the 10 degree favored right, split tacks up the first beat. Honour with more pressure, and with a hell of a right shift, honour looking amazingly good right now.

Wind goes back to the left, with Honour all the way on the right! Separation of a quarter mile right now, Honour is 15 degrees higher than HB, now on the same board.

Go Canada!

Feels odd saying that.

Update please; nothing on tracking!

Wess

Hey Clean, don't sweat uploading video just now -- just crosses and roundings, please!

HB can't get across Honour's bow, and tacks back to the left, leading honour to that side! The Canucks on this boat are as somber as undertakers. C'mon USA!

Christ Sake - We need an update!

I bet on BH to win, however, I'm cheering for Canada today! Oh wait is Gavin Canadian? Who cares - someone has to give BH a little taste of bad Karma.

ND

Anyone remember the scene from WIND when the wind went away? Boats are barely moving right now...

I bet on BH to win, however, I'm cheering for Canada today! Oh wait is Gavin Canadian? Who cares - someone has to give BH a little taste of bad Karma.

ND

Rooting for Canada? You un-patriotic bastard! Go rub your onions.

ND

Little bitter still?

HB tries to tack back, Honour with a great covering tack sends HB back to the left.

Both boats back to the left - this is getting to "connect the dots" weather. Separation up to 100 yards now. Crew are on the low side now.

This is just amazing - 2 knots of boatspeed, downspeed tacks, and HB is starting to work it.

HB just ducked Honour to get to the right, just a small bit from the mark...looks like a really bad decision. Honour almost at the mark!

HB just ducked Honour to get to the right, just a small bit from the mark...looks like a really bad decision. Honour almost at the mark!

WOW - Honour goes almost in irons, luffing HB up to keep them out of the layline, then bow down and barely, barely moving, HONOUR just ahead at the mark!!!

Boats are completely split. Heartbreaker is headed toward us over on the left, while Honour is separated by 500 yards over on the other side. Heartbreaker seems to be moving a little better, but it's damned hard to say.

This is officially the most people I've ever seen in a forum at one time. 20 more than the max we saw during KW last year. Pretty impressive, y'all. Too fucking bad that we didn't have the time to get a proper sponsor for this report beforehand.

Honour looks screwed to me right now.

You can just feel the anxiety - i find myself tip-toeing around the spectator boat, just like I know they are doing on the Farrs. Sphincter tight- shhh - quiet, gentle...there is a one-hour limit per leg.

Heartbreaker is in more pressure, but Honour is now headed straight to the mark. HB will still have to head down to it.

This is officially the most people I've ever seen in a forum at one time. 20 more than the max we saw during KW last year. Pretty impressive, y'all. Too fucking bad that we didn't have the time to get a proper sponsor for this report beforehand.

Honour looks screwed to me right now.

Honour did a DD?

255 people are hanging on your every word...

AAARRRGGGGHHH. About 12:45 Honour's display stopped updating. She had been consistently sailing lower than HB, at the same speed. Then HB gybed a total of 5 times until she crossed the line. Honour's display never changed.

Someone take pity on me and do a play by play....please

Last call I got (5 minutes ago):

HB Ahead 20 secs at the bottom of the 4th leg. on the way upwind.

From RCYC web site here is a summary so far:

Honour is leading at the first windward mark by 15sec (1:52pm)

Heartbreaker is ahead at the first leeward mark by 39sec (2:09pm)

Heartbreaker is leading at the second windward mark by 9sec (2:30pm)

Heartbreaker is ahead at the second leeward mark by 19sec (2:43pm)

Honour is leading at the final windward mark by 15sec (3:04pm)

Question is: What happened on the last Windward leg??

I called Clean.... USA by one second he is going nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, damn, damn.

Congrats, Team Heartbreaker.

(I'm still glad they sailed today.)

Unofficial text I just got had US winning by 1 sec.

Thats what I got to!!!!!!

YEAH HB AND TEAM !!!!

***Heartbreaker won the race by 5sec to win Canada's Cup***

from the rcyc site

congrats BH and crew, it doesn't get any closer than that..

Way to go HB!!!! I got my text from clean too, tried to hit as many sailors as I could that I had #'s for. Hope you got it.

I called Clean.... USA by one second he is going nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Heartbreaker with yo 44, I wanna tear your world apart" In a good way.

Canada's Cup Championship Series

October 12 - October 15, 2007

Heartbreaker has won Canada's Cup with a 5 second lead.

The overall score was Heartbreaker: 5 Honour: 4

Monday, October 15

RACE 9

* Honour is leading at the first windward mark by 15sec (1:52pm)

* Heartbreaker is ahead at the first leeward mark by 39sec (2:09pm)

* Heartbreaker is leading at the second windward mark by 9sec (2:30pm)

* Heartbreaker is ahead at the second leeward mark by 19sec (2:43pm)

* Honour is leading at the final windward mark by 15sec (3:04pm)

***Heartbreaker won the race by 5sec to win Canada's Cup (3:18pm)***

GD!!!!!! What a race!!!! Well done team Honour& supporters. What an event. Congratulations Team Heartbreaker!!!

jeezuz - I've been glued to the commentary all morning and SA crashes with two legs to go!!!! it killed me

finally just got back up!

Way to go HeartBreaker and the boys! i bet the FIO tonight for those boyz

Sounds pretty official now. What great racing! A real nail-biter.

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO TEAM HEARTBREAKER AND BOB HUGHES!!!!!!! Way to bring the cup back to the States!

First off: Congrats to Heartbreaker.

Clean & Mer, all the videos from this series have been great. If you have any Video from the last race I'm sure there are plenty of people who want to see it.

Also, I'm would still love to hear a detailed report on the last race. Just from the deltas at the mark roundings it sounds like it was anybody's race. Would like to know what happened out there. I don't know about everyone else, but SA wasn't available for about an hour (from 2:20 to about 3:15).

Overall, this coverage has been the best so far. The (almost) realtime video, IonEarth Tracking and the on the water coverage and pics. Seeing I can't be there it was almost perfect.

Thanks for the awesome coverage

Wow...

This is the kind of series that our sport needs. I am so proud of both teams for delivering the goods. Road trip to MBYC in a few years for this RCYC cheerleader! Match racing in one design boats like this is so much more exciting than a yacht design format. It's about the sailors and the tactics. Love that there were so many lead changes.

Big congratulations to Mike Milner and the race crew. Challenging conditions handled professionally (as always). They must have been *** themselves on the last race when the wind seemed to be dying.

Better result if our hometeam had persevered...? We'll never know. Alek and the Honour team made us very proud. Having to go to the States to bring the little silver knick knack back to its rightful home at the RCYC will be a rallying call for Canadian sailors in the next Cup series. This years drama should ensure lots of interest for Challenger and Defender series next time.

Congrats to Bob Hughes and the prophetically named Heart Breakers!

Congratulations to team Heartbreaker. You definitely did break our hearts today, but wow, what a nailbiter it was!

Excellent racing by both teams. Honour has nothing to be ashamed of.

Thanks to everyone who made the colour-commentary possible.

Sorry SA shit the bed right at the climax! We had lots of users and we are likely going to have to take the next step, server and support-wise.

Great Series!

Congratulation Heartbreaker Crew and Fans. Alex and team Honour that was a mighty effort and an awesome performance. You did us proud.

And I am sorry to everyone within earshot for the vile words spewing out of my mouth about SA right about that time. :P

As upsetting as it was, in the end it was good that the site crapped out as I was able to get some work done!

Well this has made my computer (and the SA server) unhappy but the result was worth it. Ion earth was like a golf clap after we lost Honour's tracker and I was dying to know where it was.

GREAT JOB ALL. Thanks

Could those of you who were on the water please post a detailed report of what happened today?

It would be much, much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sorry for the delay in getting replays published everyone. Normally we publish replays with about 10% of the data collected. For long distance racing or desert racing it works great. For the short course racing it just looks awful. I have 4 days of transmissions with 20 second intervals to chew through.

I'll keep at it and post here when replays are available and won't kill your computers. I'll see if Alan can send out a notice to everyone when it's available. Great job everyone, it was a fun weekend. :o)

Thanks Russ and co. for the coverage. You guys really improved the software over the

weekend. I had no real issues left today (using a Mac and firefox). Too bad we lost

the signal from Honour... Need some redundancy next time around (and live audio

commentary on the net).

BY THE NOSE! awesome series I have been glued as well.

oh so close... well Honour you are not alone - I think we've all been there and wanted to go back in time and do something different... Congrats to Heartbreaker boys. BIG Congrats to Honour Boys. Nice work.

(Gotta watch this with sound)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdm2EbYbkzw

Way to go Robert and team HB! Thanks to clean for the reporting and Mer for the photos. Now let's do this again in 2 years in GP33's or GP42's. Custom boats like the old days. Although, I guess it would be hard to get better racing than we just witnessed.

Clean,

Fantastic job all around. Now that racing is over I am posting. You should be the only one posting on this thing. My company intranet works really well, we have a private IM room this way you get really cool live minimal delay shit.

Cheers,

Hippie

Hey gang.

In a word, shit. OK - enough homerism.

Race 8 - Honour won the start hands down, but a third of the way up the beat pulls a DD. Just don't understand it..

Race 9 - We had the start battery hooked up to the defibulator just in case. God damn. Last beat HB protects the left with a loose cover on port tack and tacking in Honour's face on starboard. Each tack Honour takes a bite, but HB tactics are by the book. About 10 yards from the windward there is a puff on the right, it doesn't fill in and Honour takes advantage. Rounds first, with HB a boatlength and a half behind. Both have traditional sets, and HB takes half a boatlength over the 2/3rds of downhill (all on port). There is a small pressure difference coming in from the other side of the course, but HB is in the controlling position, and most would have waited for H to gybe to plant on them. Anyway, DD gybes early for the new pressure and ... Honour lets them go. No sense in gybing into shadow, and a little separation would have been a good thing, but IMHO they let 'em get too far. Anyway, HB gets the pressure and boatspeed, then Honour gets a shift and runs hotter down to the finish. First HB, then Honour gybe to port for the final run. Separation is 6 boatlenghts, and Honour on HB's beam for the photo finish. God damn!

Congratulations to both crews for a hell of a series. 9 races, and overlap at the finish at the final gun. Just amazing!

Clean,

Fantastic job all around. Now that racing is over I am posting. You should be the only one posting on this thing. My company intranet works really well, we have a private IM room this way you get really cool live minimal delay shit.

Cheers,

Hippie

Do you have lap dances too?

Jobson is a has-been.

Team Clean is the future!

Great job to all involved in this event.

I agree except in respect of Jobson, a cancer survivor. I think this will be the last Canada's Cup for a very long time. RHYC is functus. RCYC is embarking Aug/08 on a 20 million $ rebuild of the Island and docks and that leaves no money or interest for CC challenges. There is no other Cdn yacht club in the running. What you Yanks forget is that Canada is 1/10th your size both as to GDP and GNP and population. The quality percentage of our sailors is far greater than your percentage of skill demographic but it is still all about money. I have no doubt HB maintained some sort of tax dodge with IRS but CCRA in Canada allows no tax protection. Thus, I suggest your win kills the cup during our life spans. Trala............

Race 9 - We had the start battery hooked up to the defibulator just in case. ...

Bark -

Thanx for the detailed description on the last 2 legs. What a way to conclude the series! Makes me wish we could see a repeat of this next year.

Every other Thursday, but you have to be here at 7 am. Sometimes Polish but usually Puertorican. Moving the office to North Ave. in a few weeks. They have a stipulation in the lease that looks ill on this sort of behavior. Only two dances left before the move.

CONGRATULATIONS to Bob Hughes and the entire Team Heartbreaker! Awesome racing - even from my office seat! Third time IS a charm and you can now bring the Canada's Cup back to the USA where it really belongs - in spite of the name :) . Well done guys and girl.

Congratulations also to Team Honour for stepping up to the plate to Defend the Canada's Cup and in a short time provide such a competitive series all the way to the wire. Hold your heads high, you deserve for a well fought series.

Here's hoping that we don't have to wait too long for the next Canada's Cup series.

Luiz

p.s. and how could I forget... Thanks to Mer, Clean and all those at Ionearth for the great coverage. Most excellent job!

Well done to both teams, and a big congratulations to Team Heartbreaker!

Thanks also to the Clean's and all for the great coverage - I ave never been so glued to a forum as I was yesterday and today.

Awesome job - this is a series for the history books!!!

... About 10 yards from the windward ...

That would be about 150 yards from the windward. Typo.

Another note. HB should by all rights have rounded the last windward ahead of Honour. Honour got the pressure, tacked and came in on starboard at least two - probably three boatlengths from the S layline. HB, coming in on port, tacks right into shit and stays there for 6 or 7 boatlengths. DD should have ducked H's stern and had Starboard advantage and inside position at the mark - instead he had to live then follow in dirt. Made us Canuckistanians shake our heads in wonder but also in thanks.

EDIT: there is another thread in SA here: http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...showtopic=62035

And I am sorry to everyone within earshot for the vile words spewing out of my mouth about SA right about that time. :P

No kidding!

I spent about 15 minutes of increasing frustration before I had to go into a meeting. I've never been more thankful for a meeting in my entire life. If I couldn't see it from the office window, and there was no way to get to SA and the IonEarth tracker was showing only 1 transponder ... the next best thing was to be somewhere else. Our meeting room was on the inside of the building (no window) thank goodness.

I love the excitement here - all 200+ viewers were on the edge of their seat. Maybe we'll have to re-think the prematurely reported death of our sport.

How many of us wish we'd been a fly on the shroud since Friday!

Please tell me our intrepid reporter wasn't standing there slack jawed staring at the finish without the video camera running and that he will be posting the video after his 28th or 30th beverage. <_<

Possible you won't be hearing from him. I SMS'd him about 2 hr ago ... haven't heard back. I would believe he's justly embroiled in festivities.

What a great, hard fought match, it is a shame one of the teams had to lose. Kudos to the Honour crew for sailing better than most thought they could.

I am impressed with the potential of IonEarth, with some tweaks it could be an awesome tool. I would love to see it get used regularly.

Thanks to Al and Mer for their efforts, especially on the last leg when nothing else seemed to be working. I'm sure Clean's phone had to be ringing constantly.

So who got any work done today? ;)

Many Congrats to Team Heartbreaker, and many congrats to Team Honour for the way the sailed their tails off. What a finish, I can only wish I had been there to see it in person.

Now let's see something happen to the Cup that will incorporate more clubs and more boats for the better of the sport.

A special thanks goes out to the RCYC organizers, Clean & Mer and Jerry & Russ from IonEarth for making Canada's Cup history. Mer, I hope I did as good of a job as your personal assistant as I did when I was your Fire Marshal at Redico! I want everyone to know how hard you guys worked to get IonEarth up and running and updates and information from the course out to the online racing fans in a timely manner. And great photos, Mer! It's great to see people that are so passionate about what they do and even during a few frustrating technical difficulties, you guys all remained positive and worked as a team to deliver exceptional results and all on little or no sleep. To anyone reading this, I know firsthand because I was there helping them out and they truly worked their asses off.

Great job again you guys and thanks for making it a memorable weekend! Congratulations to Bobby and Team Heartbreaker for a job well done and to Team Honour for doing a great job as well. Both teams worked really hard and deserve a round of applause.

Sorry SA shit the bed right at the climax! We had lots of users and we are likely going to have to take the next step, server and support-wise.

Like put it on a BSD box with a ton of bandwidth?

Like put it on a BSD box with a ton of bandwidth?

Yeah, something like that!

I'm too tired to put this on the official website right now, so here's the wrap-up report. There will be a much more in-depth one tomorrow or the next day. Thanks to all of you for helping to make this somewhat irrelevant event into much, much more. I believe Bob H when he says that he will work to make this a true championship for the great lakes, and I'll be following up frequently with him and the nice, down to earth folks at MBYC.

Dave Dellenbaugh told me that the first time he looked at Anarchy was last night, and he couldn't believe all the shit-talking that was going on about his calls. When I asked him if he'd write something up for us explaining why the calls of "why would you separate like that?" are wrong, and stupid. He agreed, and I'll follow up with him tomorrow to get a good little "match racing for spectators" story for the front page. Very cool guy, once he wasn't so annoyed with me throwing him under the bus like that.

Anyway, thanks again. That was too fun.

Team U.S.A. Wins Canada’s Cup in Closest Ever Cup Finish

TORONTO, October 15, 2007 – In the most dramatic finish ever seen in Canada’s Cup competition, U.S. Challenger Robert Hughes and Heartbreaker came from behind on the final leg of the final match race on Monday to cross the finish line less than half a boatlength ahead of Defending team Honour. The win brought the final score of the championship to 5-4 and finally gave Hughes the victory that has eluded him in two prior Cup challenges in 2001 and 2003.

Team Heartbreaker could not contain their enthusiasm as they loaded the Cup into their inflatable tender, racing from the Royal Canadian Yacht Club’s island headquarters to the mainland, hoping to catch their flights back to Michigan. “We can’t wait to bring the Cup to her new home at Macatawa Bay Yacht Club,” said Team Manager Mary DeVries. “This means so much to us – we’ve all been brought along by Bob Hughes’ vision, and now we’ve succeeded at what he started years ago.”

Extremely light winds on Monday made both races long, mentally frustrating affairs. With America’s Cup tacticians Gavin Brady and Dave Dellenbaugh battling it out every bit as much as the helmsman they directed, the final margin of victory was less than 3 seconds. Honour held a 19-second lead at the final upwind mark, and only 200 yards from the finish line, Heartbreaker was still trailing. “It was one little puff,” said losing skipper Alec Krstajic. “That was the match. One tiny little puff of wind that Heartbreaker brought right to the finish – the whole thing came down to that.”

Hughes hopes to work with other prominent Great Lakes clubs in both the U.S. and Canada to build on the momentum of this exciting and suspenseful Canada’s Cup match. With thousands of on-line spectators for IonEarth’s superb GPS-based coverage, and massive interest in the 21st running of the Cup, it’s clear that the interest in match racing on the Great Lakes is at an all-time high. Macatawa Bay is targeting 2009 for the next defense of the Cup – and according to Macatawa Bay, the event should remove any doubt that the Canada’s Cup Championship stands for supremacy in match racing on the Great Lakes.

The entire series of races will be available to view at IonEarth later this week. Races can be replayed free of charge at www.ionearth.com. Photos and crew information from the 21st Canada’s Cup will also be available later this week at www.cancuplive.com. For high-resolution photos of the event, please contact alan@blocksail.com

Thanks Clean for all you're doing to move our sport forward. I'm really, really, really looking forward to DD's explanations of his calls; I hope it'll enlighten me and make me a better sailor.

Also- Clean, do you know if the Ion Earth replays will be smoother than the 15 second updates? Something like a kattack track would be easier to watch...

Cheers,

Kyle

where will all the pictures be posted? congrats to heartbeaker and honour you put on one of the most entertaining regatta series to date.

Only Clean and Mer can post to this forum. I dumped my pics in the normal SA-based thread referenced above.

Uh - that's a re-post of the finish, Mr.Clean. Please check.