Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsailor

Lightspeed 32 catamaran.

What has happened to the Lightspeed 32.

After a great initial burst of publicity and success in an East coast ocean race, it seems to have disappeared below the event horizon.

Anybody got any news????

Cheers. Oldsailor.

I've seen it here in the SF Bay this past summer berthed at the RYC...bunch of kids sailing it around....goes like a bat out of hell...ugly as sin though....

....goes like a bat out of hell...ugly as sin though....

I agree it's not that elegant looking---but then neither is the Bloomfied 30, Raw to the Core.

I would like to see them have a race off, together with APC Max.

Would be very interesting. :o

Oldsailor - thanks for your continued interest.

The short answer is we have been very busy with demo sailing and with refining / developing the boat/sailplan in preparation for production. We will make announcements shortly about production and initial orders.

The great news is that the boat has sailed hard in SF Bay for a couple of months and has performed and held up beautifully. We have seen a lot of different conditions including some pretty tough stuff. We are all blown away by how far we can push this boat.

Luckily beauty is in the eye of the beholder .. and you and Ay Caliente seem to be in a distinct minority (but you are not alone!). But hey -- you are as welcome to your opinion as I am to mine!

Hunt

I dunno where they are now, but here they are stylin' just off the St. Francis Yacht Club during the Big Boat Series ...

Whatever you think it looks like now, it gets WAY better looking after you sail it.

Hunt, nice seagull striker to allow the jib furler option. I see you added more purchase to mainsheet. Is that instead on the hydraulic?

Yeah, it's pretty ugly until you sail on it.

It's dry, fast as hell, smooth, very comfortable and as safe as a boat that fast and short is going to get.

I've sailed it a ton now, and I want one, a lot.

New sails are in the computer, they won't look like the originals.

Luckily beauty is in the eye of the beholder .. and you and Ay Caliente seem to be in a distinct minority (but you are not alone!). But hey -- you are as welcome to your opinion as I am to mine!

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but I don't think Ay Caliente is in the minority.

A different paint job would go a long way towards improving its looks. The blue and white cuts the hulls in half and makes it look tubby. It needs a sleeker look that goes with its speed.

Something more along the lines of Tuki's paint job would be more visually appealing. The boat should look like a wicked sports car, not a postal jeep. Even a solid Ferrari red would look better.

Sailed out to the Lightbucket on a lead-mine yesterday. Fantastic conditions. Once back inside the Bay, saw the Lightspeed "doin her thang" and lookiing good doing it over towards the Cityfront.

As others have said.....at first clance you may not think she is the Bell of the Ball. But once you taker her out in a breeze, your view world will be forever changed!!!!

Seriously, if you get the chance, don't hesitate to take a ride on this amazing boat. Thanks to efforts of Hunt, my crew and I got to spend a day tearing up San Francisco Bay on the LS earlier this year. The Lightspeed is an amazing, well thought out boat that exhibits effortless speed with ease. Definitely an E-ticket ride!!!

-MH

I think it's gorgeous. I particularly like the rear beam on the transom look.

I got a chance to sail the boat last year also. That was a blast.

Looks a bit boxy up top to me.

We all know that cats of this type go like a bat out of hell but its race results against other multihulls that count.

Any race results, how does it go or how has it gone against the R33 or simular multis in the USofA.

Ols Sailor, I think we can throw in a Carbon Copy and a Voodoo into your list.

The LS looks the way it does mostly for very practical reasons, so you may see enough more and more boats looking similar. I agree that different paint/styling may help, and once there are 50 boats in the water, better schemes may appear.

There are lots of modern monohull sportboats that are ugly. The Mumms are real pigs from some angles.

Hey I got an idea....

Maybe they should bake it in an autoclave, and then hang a big fucking piece of lead from the bottom, and then try to get her to lean way over. Then a bunch of guys can hang off the side with a lifeline digging into their fat, arms and legs sticking streight to windward, and then scream like a bunch of little girls when she breaks the 10 knott barrier.

WTF can we ever stop adding lead to sailboats to stabilize them. Christopher freakin Colombus used ballast. Boy have we come a long way. 100 years ago Voss was sailing around the world at 6 knotts in his converted indian dugout canoe displacing along. Now we've added what 1 3/4 knotts to the average club racer upwind? Maybe in another 100 years the average J boat will be going uhhh jogging speed upwind instead of a fast walk.

Lightspeed is the most beautiful 32' racing multihull ever designed.

Fugly is a big hunk of lead hanging from a wind driven boat, trying forever to take her to the bottom.

Let me join you're so called minority........FUGLY.

There is nothing like some race results to give an indication of what a boat can do in different conditions against other boats. I havn't seen any results for the LS32. Are there any? What I get from the postings is that it takes some breeze to get the boat going. Is it sticky in lighter winds? It's fabulous that so many speak so highly of the sailing characteristics but in comparison to what other cats? The boat does have high cabins and combings. Why? Surely not for racing?

It's awsome to see that some people are willing to hang it out there and produce some cats with fresh engineering ideas in this size range, it's a costly and time consuming venture to say the least. Good on ya Lightspeed and Reynolds people!

I have been a convert since 1998 and even after professional sailing on L.D. maxis for the last 35 years there is nothing that compares to my experiances on my 36' cat with 3 persons aboard hauling ass. racing or sailing there is just no bigger grin factor in sailing to me or my mates.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but I don't think Ay Caliente is in the minority.

A different paint job would go a long way towards improving its looks. The blue and white cuts the hulls in half and makes it look tubby. It needs a sleeker look that goes with its speed.

Something more along the lines of Tuki's paint job would be more visually appealing. The boat should look like a wicked sports car, not a postal jeep. Even a solid Ferrari red would look better.

Agreed. Everything looks great but the blue/white scheme.

There is nothing like some race results to give an indication of what a boat can do in different conditions against other boats. I havn't seen any results for the LS32. Are there any? What I get from the postings is that it takes some breeze to get the boat going. Is it sticky in lighter winds?

2007 DHF was lightish, Lightspeed-32 did fine.

The boat sailed today; I got a picture of the Lightspeed-32 by accident. Pics below were 7 seconds apart, 12x optical.

Lightspeed 32 is by the San Francisco city front.

Looks are fine. Bows are fairly tall which is fine by this side. The boat's form is for a function.

Color choice is fine; I like blue, some like orange, many white, perhaps chrome? Somebody wrote red.

post-5460-1193028113_thumb.jpg

post-5460-1193028165_thumb.jpg

Oldsailor - thanks for your continued interest.

The short answer is we have been very busy with demo sailing and with refining / developing the boat/sailplan in preparation for production. We will make announcements shortly about production and initial orders.

The great news is that the boat has sailed hard in SF Bay for a couple of months and has performed and held up beautifully. We have seen a lot of different conditions including some pretty tough stuff. We are all blown away by how far we can push this boat.

Hunt

Hey Hunt.

I didn't say the LS32 was "Fugley". I just said it wasn't the most elegant.

Anyway the engineers axim is "Form follows Function", and there is no doubt about it, the Lightspeed is highly functional.

Perhaps the idea of a better eyefooling paintjob would be good. Something like the Firefly 28's of Mark Pescott.

Never mind, I think the LS is a great boat and a big step forward in modern multihull design.

Cheers. Oldsailor.

I can't attest to its sailing abilities or how fast it is or isn't but I was all over that boat while it was at Alameda getting rigged and launched. The boat appears super beefy, all the cross members and structural stuff appears to be carbon. The sheer appears straight as a board (fugly). The paint job does not compliment the design at all. What appeared to be little cabins on each hull were used for storing sails and a large Cooler. One crew had to angle his body sideways to go below. To be honest she looked more like a proof of concept boat than a production model. IMO It is not a graceful looking cat.

ss

ps The suppot team was gracious in answering everyones questiion.

I can't attest to its sailing abilities or how fast it is or isn't but I was all over that boat while it was at Alameda getting rigged and launched. The boat appears super beefy, all the cross members and structural stuff appears to be carbon. The sheer appears straight as a board (fugly). The paint job does not compliment the design at all. What appeared to be little cabins on each hull were used for storing sails and a large Cooler. One crew had to angle his body sideways to go below. To be honest she looked more like a proof of concept boat than a production model. IMO It is not a graceful looking cat.

ss

ps The suppot team was gracious in answering everyones questiion.

Those little cabins are just the compaionways. There is ove 6' of headroom, a couple of bunks and room for a potty in each hull. As for acess to it, I'm a big boy at over 250lbs and fit with PLENTY of room to spare. Your friend must be fucking huge.

post-7694-1193090012_thumb.jpg post-7694-1193090083_thumb.jpg[

Bump... What's going on? Can you guys update the website with some race results?

The only race result that I am aware of is the 2007 Ft-Lauderdale to Key West race. It was a blast with an average of 25+ kts of wind (reaching, broad-reaching and running). They really kicked ass!

But it has been more than a year since...

I've seen it here in the SF Bay this past summer berthed at the RYC...bunch of kids sailing it around....goes like a bat out of hell...ugly as sin though....

I would say the looks are more function vs. form. All that freeboard serves a important purpose.

The marstrom is a totally different beast. Meant for smooth-water inshore type stuff. The lack of freeboard is testament to that.

Above all, the tall hatches/doghouses help with shielding spray and protecting the crew sitting behind them.

The marstrom is a totally different beast. Meant for smooth-water inshore type stuff. The lack of freeboard is testament to that.

Above all, the tall hatches/doghouses help with shielding spray and protecting the crew sitting behind them.

I know, but purely from the aestethic point of view Marström 32 looks more sexy :)

I know, but purely from the aestethic point of view Marström 32 looks more sexy

I agree.

However you can't fault the Baja Truck for being the ugly car when parked next to a Porsche.

On the last pics , she looks really triming by the stern !!!!

What's going on ?

LOL!

It is a super light cat, that is what is going on. Move the sail bags and other gear forward and it will probably chnage a bit.

Besides, since it will try to lower the bows as it accelerates, a touch of bow-up at rest is not a bad idea.

LOL!

It is a super light cat, that is what is going on. Move the sail bags and other gear forward and it will probably chnage a bit.

Besides, since it will try to lower the bows as it accelerates, a touch of bow-up at rest is not a bad idea.

blablabla

catamaran when they speed up just trim by the stern , as trimaran

Foils allow to control that by adding lift behind the LCB

So think again

PS: more over if that just happens with sails....i just wonder with 5 crews then...

To improve your knowledge look how a multihull trim at speed:

Geronimo_en_mer_400x281_.jpg

blablabla

catamaran when they speed up just trim by the stern , as trimaran

Foils allow to control that by adding lift behind the LCB

So think again

PS: more over if that just happens with sails....i just wonder with 5 crews then...

Hah!

Sail cats much?

Well,

I have raced Hobie 16's, G-Cat 5.7, Prindle 18's and Stiletto 27. Sailed on an F24 in SF bay. That was a blast- flying 2 hulls is a trip. On a screaming reach they all exhibit the same behavior due to the dramatic increase in forward lift on the rig vs. drag on the hulls and a high power to weight ratio. The Stiletto, much like the Lightspeed had lots of freeboard, tall bows and drew only a few inches depth becaus it was so bouyant. So while the bows would drop a little bit, there was never much worry about pitchpole unlike the smaller beachcats.

Hah!

Sail cats much?

Well,

I have raced Hobie 16's, G-Cat 5.7, Prindle 18's and Stiletto 27. Sailed on an F24 in SF bay. That was a blast- flying 2 hulls is a trip. On a screaming reach they all exhibit the same behavior due to the dramatic increase in forward lift on the rig vs. drag on the hulls and a high power to weight ratio. The Stiletto, much like the Lightspeed had lots of freeboard, tall bows and drew only a few inches depth becaus it was so bouyant. So while the bows would drop a little bit, there was never much worry about pitchpole unlike the smaller beachcats.

Man i really struggle with that: You don't get any lift from the bow cause it is out of the water !

That's physics...at high speed , the hull will NATURALY trim by the stern...

then trim tabs , crew ...can change that

Man i really struggle with that: You don't get any lift from the bow cause it is out of the water !

I am sure you struggle with many things. What tack is that Tri on? Can you answer that?

And I ask again, ever sail a high performance multihul and have you ever pitchpoled?

All I can say is, 3.5 hours, Newort, Block Island, and back, Mudslides and all.

sorry Newport

To improve your knowledge, look at the swell that Geronimo en mer is sailing in.

It's cresting a wave. Of course the bow is out of the water.

The LS 32 doesn't look trimmed by the stern in this picture:

update_2_1_07.jpg

http://www.marstrom.com/index.php?action=g...&category=1

Theres some calibration for your terms :)

Barf! Marstrom hasn't built a single good looking multihull.

Of course, as mentioned so elegantly above, the Lightspeed 32 is FUGLY mother fugler herself.

Alright I take it back. Marstrom has build some nice looking multis (Extreme 40). They've just never designed one themselves.

Their boats just don't quite compare. Sebschmidt. Another. Again.

I dont know how to start a new thread.....but someone has to help me post this web site, i cannot believe noone has posted it before...... www.americansailingleague.com

Barf! Marstrom hasn't built a single good looking multihull.

Of course, as mentioned so elegantly above, the Lightspeed 32 is FUGLY mother fugler herself.

Alright I take it back. Marstrom has build some nice looking multis (Extreme 40). They've just never designed one themselves.

Their boats just don't quite compare. Sebschmidt. Another. Again.

(THESE are nice looking multihulls)

post-6452-1204355120_thumb.jpg

post-6452-1204355144_thumb.jpg

post-6452-1204355226_thumb.jpg

To improve your knowledge, look at the swell that Geronimo en mer is sailing in.

It's cresting a wave. Of course the bow is out of the water.

The LS 32 doesn't look trimmed by the stern in this picture:

update_2_1_07.jpg

Man That's downwind with the Code 0...

Take the same picture with her beating and you will see...BARF

I am sure you struggle with many things. What tack is that Tri on? Can you answer that?

And I ask again, ever sail a high performance multihul and have you ever pitchpoled?

I've been on Michel Desjoyeaux's Geant : ORMA 60 (like groupama 2)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you did that ? FOR SURE NOT

Only us (French) are able to sail them :P

Gant-3-4-arr.jpg

I've been on Michel Desjoyeaux's Geant : ORMA 60 (like groupama 2)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you did that ? FOR SURE NOT

Only us (French) are able to sail them :P

Gant-3-4-arr.jpg

First you ask if LS32 is trimming by the stern Basing your question to Non-sailing, no crew pics.

Then you claim that theres no lift from the bow as it is out of the water

Then you are a very proud sailor aboard the Geant 2 and claim that only french can sail them.

Sounds interesting. Sitting aboard an Orma 60 trimaran while it is under sail does not count. If it

did, then my Wife would beat you out as she has steered the old banq pop 3.

French are not the only ones having access to these boats. OOPS-cup held in northern europe

gave access to those boats for a lot of people ( including myself ) also Britain and USA has had

their share of Orma 60 trimarans.

First you ask if LS32 is trimming by the stern Basing your question to Non-sailing, no crew pics.

Then you claim that theres no lift from the bow as it is out of the water

Then you are a very proud sailor aboard the Geant 2 and claim that only french can sail them.

Sounds interesting. Sitting aboard an Orma 60 trimaran while it is under sail does not count. If it

did, then my Wife would beat you out as she has steered the old banq pop 3.

French are not the only ones having access to these boats. OOPS-cup held in northern europe

gave access to those boats for a lot of people ( including myself ) also Britain and USA has had

their share of Orma 60 trimarans.

I was kidding for the french...but don't start to be arroguant asking me if i've ever been on a multi hull

Oh and by the way i've drive Geant as well....so i'm even better than your wife !

All trimaran from Ooops cup are old french orma ...it is just a second life for them

I'm still better than you :P

I was kidding for the french...but don't start to be arroguant asking me if i've ever been on a multi hull

Oh and by the way i've drive Geant as well....so i'm even better than your wife !

All trimaran from Ooops cup are old french orma ...it is just a second life for them

I'm still better than you :P

Hmm. Grats on beating my wife on sailing. She has been on a sailboat total of 10 times :)

Maybe its the language difference, but I really did not understand those statements you made about Lightspeed 32. They were made in a manner that sounds and smells noobish. Also and after all, Lightspeed 32 waas designed by VLP & MVP, like half of the present Orma Fleet.

Also as a fellow european you should know better. Dont call out Americans, because the people who can handle it in a humorous way, are very rare breed in that country ( preferring to the post above ). I as a Finn, a Immune to such calls :) Exspecially after the french crews had to crawl out of the boat in the F-28 world champs after a drinking contest they suggested :)

Being better than me, well have you raced an orma 60? Or have you been onboard with Laurent Bourgnon back in 90's when he was the hot stuff on the Class? :) Anyways, those second generation boats without lifting foils are still pretty competitive. Bank Pop 3 was turtled by Steve Ravussin after a beam failure in the Route du Rhum race in 2007. That you can hardly call a second life. Granted, the second generation boats are not as powerful as these 3rd generation boats.

I am very amused. Why would you think differently?

Doesn't change the fact the surrender monkey tries to apply his knowledge of current unlimited ORMA tri's to the LS32 with no other understanding of the physics of of multi sailing.

Hmm. Grats on beating my wife on sailing. She has been on a sailboat total of 10 times :)

Maybe its the language difference, but I really did not understand those statements you made about Lightspeed 32. They were made in a manner that sounds and smells noobish. Also and after all, Lightspeed 32 waas designed by VLP & MVP, like half of the present Orma Fleet.

Also as a fellow european you should know better. Dont call out Americans, because the people who can handle it in a humorous way, are very rare breed in that country ( preferring to the post above ). I as a Finn, a Immune to such calls :) Exspecially after the french crews had to crawl out of the boat in the F-28 world champs after a drinking contest they suggested :)

Being better than me, well have you raced an orma 60? Or have you been onboard with Laurent Bourgnon back in 90's when he was the hot stuff on the Class? :) Anyways, those second generation boats without lifting foils are still pretty competitive. Bank Pop 3 was turtled by Steve Ravussin after a beam failure in the Route du Rhum race in 2007. That you can hardly call a second life. Granted, the second generation boats are not as powerful as these 3rd generation boats.

Yep I don't have any argument with you :rolleyes:

Anyway Orma Multi are soooo fun

I like the OMR 60 slugfest guys but the questions is about the LS32.

It looks simply like a question of boat balance. The crew would need to compensate for that.

They appear to be sailing in a river or bay and winds can vary in direction and velocity. Perheps the wind may have backed a little when the photo was taken. Other than that is just a matter of the skipper and crew knowing or gaining experience on what makes it go and that means balcncing the boat so it doesn't drag it ass. It's certainly not dragging it ass in hobianarchy's photo

Man i'm student in Naval Architecture ...

what is your job ?

I am a Naval Architect (University of Michigan '82).

I designed C-Class catamarans in high school.

Punk. Respect your elders.

I am a Naval Architect (University of Michigan '82).

I designed C-Class catamarans in high school.

Punk. Respect your elders.

LOL

May be you should find one another job ?

LOL

May be you should find one another job ?

I did when I figured out that nobody gets rich being a Naval Architect. I solved that problem before you were born.

Enjoy your arrogant attitude while you can. Have fun finding a real job with it.

I did when I figured out that nobody gets rich being a Naval Architect. I solved that problem before you were born.

Enjoy your arrogant attitude while you can. Have fun finding a real job with it.

Do you have a job for me ?

:P

Good thing they know how to sail...

french_soldierofsurrender.jpg

Oh by the way , why so much muppet come back with army argument ???

Cut out the personal slanging Guys, and get back on topic.

IMHO It serves no purpose to try and observe the attitude of the waterline from a still photograph. The boat may be merely reacting to the swell or a wave. :(

Question for the sailmakers

I noticed that the LS32 carries the sail number USA1. I though that number would have been taken long before the cat was built.

The sails, as I've said before, would look good on a slow boat (like a TP 52), but are clearly off the pace for a fast multihull. Ugly is probably too strong a word, as they are about as good as real multihull sails were ten or twenty years ago. Well, maybe twenty five years ago.

Could you elaborate? I have sailed the LS and thought the sails looked good. I am very new to multis and would really like to know what does fast look like for multihull sails.

Question for the sailmakers

I noticed that the LS32 carries the sail number USA1. I though that number would have been taken long before the cat was built.

'cause it's LS32 #1

many classes give out their own numbers

'cause it's LS32 #1

many classes give out their own numbers

I thought that it was only the national authorities that could issue the three letter country code. Ie. USA is only issued by US Sailing. Lightspeed could f.ex create their own class association and use LS 001.

Then again, the rules in the US may be different than the one I am used too.

Hey I got an idea....

Maybe they should bake it in an autoclave, and then hang a big fucking piece of lead from the bottom, and then try to get her to lean way over. Then a bunch of guys can hang off the side with a lifeline digging into their fat, arms and legs sticking streight to windward, and then scream like a bunch of little girls when she breaks the 10 knott barrier.

That's a hilarious post!

I would love to get a ride on a big, fast cat like this someday

Good thing they know how to sail...

french_soldierofsurrender.jpg

Would not show that to a WWII French resistance vet or a Legionairre. They might grease you right there on the spot.

I thought that it was only the national authorities that could issue the three letter country code. Ie. USA is only issued by US Sailing. Lightspeed could f.ex create their own class association and use LS 001.

Then again, the rules in the US may be different than the one I am used too.

ISAF rules covers this in appendix G -but class rules are needed too

but mostly the classes hand out numbers - in one design most usually it is the international class association that assigns numbers - and the national letters are in addition - see laser or Melges 24 - and they all started at #1 - the numbering sequencence might go

Laser - GBR 1, FRA 2, AUS 3....

In a few older classes the class national association hands out numbers on a national basis – see the I14 class – which can lead to numeral duplications in international events – but still with the national letters. This goes like this

I14 USA 1, USA2, USA 3...I14 GBR1, GBR2, GBR 3...

I am not certain how IRC or PHRF numbers are handed out, but in the US I think they are handed out by the PHRF board by region.

In the case of the LS – the intention is to make a class of it, so LS USA 1 is quite right

fun facts (IIRC) – in the dragon class the numbers started at #10 to make it look like there were more of them

As another experienced beachcat sailor, I will tell you that most cats do NOT in fact naturally trim by the stern, in fact, most of the time on a reach or downhill you are concentrating on keeping the bows up and it's genuine work.

As an experienced LightSpeed-32 sailor, I will tell you that the boat feels just about right in terms of weight balance.

In really light air, under 5, the crew has to stay in front of the main beam, but the rest of the time you just sit on the comfy benches- it's pretty nice.

I've had the upper knuckle of the bow about three feet under, and it sure didn't feel too stern heavy at that point.

Here are a few shots I took last summer of the boat in the SC harbor. The mast raising system is amazing, it's a giant aluminum A-frame with a system of blocks and winches. The trailer extends to allow the hulls to be bolted to the crossbars. It's pretty cool!

Lightspeed32003-600x450.jpg

Comparing the rudders to that of a Hobie 20.

Lightspeed32001-600x450.jpg

Uh, another ill-informed opinions on US sail numbers. A Laser USA XX sail is CLEARLY not a Hobie USA XX, etc. The class insignia is separate from the sail number. Also, some boats (like Lasers) are required to match sail numbers to hull numbers as a class rule. Beachcats typically match sail numbers to linear production counts, so the numbers start to diverge from hull numbers as soon as they make spare sails. Also most beachcat classes are not concerned with custom owner numbers, as long as they don't match other boats in the regatta. Lots of people keep their first sail number and move it from boat to boat.

Always fun to see the newbies show up at their first race with the "X" or "XX" duct-taped to the sail...

Always fun to see the newbies show up at their first race with the "X" or "XX" duct-taped to the sail...

Newbies? I've seen one of the top Tornado teams turn up a national event with a new sail...no class logo or sail number. They used a sharpie to hand draw them on!

What has happened to the Lightspeed 32.

After a great initial burst of publicity and success in an East coast ocean race, it seems to have disappeared below the event horizon.

Anybody got any news????

Cheers. Oldsailor.

At last year's Newport to Ensenada Mx race in ligth conditions, LS was kicking Afterburner's (52 ft beachcat) butt before AB dropped out around midnight and then LS some time later.