Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brian Weslake

Time for a new poll: Old ACC rule or new 90 footer rule?

Pick a design rule  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Which class would you like to see for the 33rd AC

• I like narrow gutted leadmines, V5AC rule for me!
    • AC90, big and fast is the way to go

The old poll was informative, with the support for the new class starting at over 60%, dropping down substantially as BMWOracle began their assault on the protocol, and recovering significantly in the past few weeks.

However this was based on very little public information about the new rule.

Now that the new rule is public, what does everyone think?

Do you think Russell Coutts visits here? Would anybody else really vote for the old boats? :D

Looks like your choice is either Old Narrow gutted lead mines or New narrow gutted lead mines :blink:

Can we have an option 3?

Looks like your choice is either Old Narrow gutted lead mines or New narrow gutted lead mines :blink:

Can we have an option 3?

Cahn will decide if GGYC and SNG can't agree to agree. If not, maybe we'll get a spectacular fight of multihulls. The spread of designs will be much more open than with this new rule.

Can we have an option 3?

At least that would be a less biased question!

Why not have both ? The AC 5.0 for MR and that new TP90 for the fleets ??? :rolleyes:

And the Open Cats just for fun ?

If that's true, what's the point in changing the rule from V5? :unsure:

It's hard for us laymen to envision what the new rule will look like but if the visual on the front page is any indication I think it will be worthwhile. More than the boat design, though, I'd rather see a venue change. Any boat race is better in breeze.

Carbon

It's hard for us laymen to envision what the new rule will look like but if the visual on the front page is any indication I think it will be worthwhile. More than the boat design, though, I'd rather see a venue change. Any boat race is better in breeze.

Carbon

I tried to "envision" what the new boat would look like, so today I spent a little time drawing and rendering a boat that is in accordance to the AC90 rule. So far, the jib is surprisingly small, even for a non-overlapping, due to a fairly small J, the jibs will be fairly "small". Also, I feel bad for the bowmen as they will be dealing with a bowsprit that is almost 5m (4.8 to be exact) long, if shit hits the fan, it will be an interesting climb out to the end! Also, I think it's going to be hard for the designers to build down to the bare minimum for freeboard, because if these boats are going to be heeling over as much as the last AC boats (it's hard to tell with the new boat, I am really too tired/lazy right now to do the math) and then go for the lowest freeboard possible, they will be digging the leeward rail as soon as they get close to 25-30 degrees of heel.

Personally, I like the rule. From a sailors standpoint, I think it would be a much more exciting boat to sail (possibly planing...how could one resist?!), and it will make for much more challenging racing. I don't think the boats will be very forgiving towards mistakes, so I think it will demand the crews to always make the right calls in terms of tactics and boat-handling. I think the old AC will be missed due to the close racing, but I think that these boats will be very close with the new rule.

TC

I'll let them go with the new rule just to get the ball rolling, however wrong I think it is and how the racing will look fast but boring.

BUT, if the racing really SUCKS big time, we need the option to go back to V5 rules for AC34, if 33 does not kill it.