Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fast Laser

100th Running Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac

Will be, I think, 14th or 15th Chi MAC. Past results include 4 1st places in class, 1 first Overall, 2 2nd overalls, and a 3rd in class. Need to quit missing them so I can get to at least 25, and be a double old goat/island goat.

It will be my FIRST Chi-Mac! Can't wait! The team owner just traded in the Olson for a Farr-40. Should be a blast!

Cujo

Will be my first, as well. Very excited.

#24 here... broke my string of consecutives @ #21 when moved out east. Oh well... two more to go, then I retire.

Number 5 for me.

We'll make sure we have the proper flares this year.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

DG

Since they are going to change the reg to match BYC you already do. Number 15 for me this year with five wins so far.

Since they are going to change the reg to match BYC you already do. Number 15 for me this year with five wins so far.

10 or 11 here have to check the records... anybody going to CYC pre-mac rage registration seminar on Sat?

All righty then. I'll rescue my USCG flares from the depths of my fourth of July bin.

Thanks for the heads up... I'll await the safety regs.

Thanks SD.

DG

Whatever you do please read the damn safety reg documents rather than basing your decisions on this forum. We (CYC) completed our preliminary review in Oct and are waiting for Bayviews reply FWIW. At this point noone knows what "they" (whoever they is) are going to do

100th is 13 for me plus I turn 50.

rew

While I have done a few first in class, My son raced exactly one Chi-Mac and won it overall (at 10 years old, with his grandpa). Called me from the island and he asked me if I had ever won, I hung up on him.

I recomended that he retire from the mac. One day I hope to catch up.

This will be my third.

However, it will also be my third 100th anniversary distance race. Did the 100th Marblehead to Halifax and the 100th Newport to Bermuda. So I got that going for me... which is nice.

#6 for me, but the milestone is my father past away 25 years ago next year and never did a Mac.

Now I will be the same age he was when he died. I will have a Tshirt of him at the helm so he can ride along on his first Mac. Truly looking forward to it.

post-2650-1196860472_thumb.jpg

I can't believe this will be #21 already....that's a lot of drinks at the Pony...

Whatever you do please read the damn safety reg documents rather than basing your decisions on this forum. We (CYC) completed our preliminary review in Oct and are waiting for Bayviews reply FWIW. At this point noone knows what "they" (whoever they is) are going to do

rew

Everything you read on the internet is true, particularly this site!

100th is my 25th and I plan to act 13.

Everything will have a stopper knot, maybe more than one!

Number 5 for me.

We'll make sure we have the proper flares this year.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

DG

I seriously suggest asking for a pre-race inspection.

They asked to inspect my boat before the race and they found my un-authorized flares. In hindsight, I am very thankful for the inspection and it gave me a chance to get Seductress on my boat . . . down below . . .

I will ask ---this year--- to have a pre-race inspection. It has a value though may be thought of as a hassle. Perhaps Seductress will grab each of my flares, slowly twisting them around in her hand and gently look at my expiration dates . . .

oh

my 12th this year.

How is that different than any other year? ;)

I think this will be 14 for me.

This will be number 9 for me.

But more importantly, Jilly and I are getting married on the Island the Friday after the Mac race.

I seriously suggest asking for a pre-race inspection.

They asked to inspect my boat before the race and they found my un-authorized flares. In hindsight, I am very thankful for the inspection and it gave me a chance to get Seductress on my boat . . . down below . . .

I will ask ---this year--- to have a pre-race inspection. It has a value though may be thought of as a hassle. Perhaps Seductress will grab each of my flares, slowly twisting them around in her hand and gently look at my expiration dates . . .

oh

my 12th this year.

Yup... great idea, and we'll be doing it for sure.

Who the fuck is Seductress?

DG

Everything you read on the internet is true, particularly this site!

Everything will have a stopper knot, maybe more than one!

I really don't think you need a knot in that thing to keep it from slipping through the hole. two is cleary way overkill.

If everything goes as planned, we will be down there in Chicago with you guys. Nothing's for sure yet. If that's the case it'll be my 3rd Chi mac.

I'm really looking forward two a couple nice races up the lakes...

rew

I have a feeling DG will read the safety regs a hundred times along with all the other boats after last year.

But more importantly, Jilly and I are getting married on the Island the Friday after the Mac race.

14th for me this coming year...We'll see if I ever make 25.

Is it too early to ask about bachelor / bachelorrete party on the island? As members of SA are we invited?

:lol:

This is 24 or MAYBE 25 for me...

looking forward to an insane time on and off the water!!

Hippie, are you sure you want to do that. There is some not so good history that happend under similar conditions once. Bad Juju.

Now I did it.

Yup... great idea, and we'll be doing it for sure.

Who the fuck is Seductress?

DG

easy, easy Dick. You eat with that mouth? Use your thesaurus.

She's an avid member of the Chicagoland boating community. Frequent race committee volunteer. Beautiful boat with magnificent twin engines. Always wears cheerful clothing. . . and she has a nice personality.

I believe I will notch #38 in 2008...I also hope to repeat at least one of of my previous finishes:

DNS (jib issues at the start)

DNF (ran aground on Round Island)

DFL (small boat/another story)

1st in section (the storm worked for us)

Fortunately, no DSQ but sure to bring at least one more good story...I'll be on the porch at the MIYC-see ya at the Pony :)

It will be my FIRST Chi-Mac! Can't wait! The team owner just traded in the Olson for a Farr-40. Should be a blast!

Cujo

Geddy Up Brother ! Nothing like getting there and getting a good parking spot. I'll buy you your first (and 20th) drink at the Pink Pony. don't worry I'll save you a seat at the bar ~

easy, easy Dick. You eat with that mouth? Use your thesaurus.

She's an avid member of the Chicagoland boating community. Frequent race committee volunteer. Beautiful boat with magnificent twin engines. Always wears cheerful clothing. . . and she has a nice personality.

Pics or it never happened

Oh yeah this will be #2 for me ~ and I've got a sweeeet ride for it too. If you go out on the front page and check the adverts, it's the trimaran pictured in the West System ad.

Fuckin hell, a lot of anarchists will be doing this race.

Are You and One Guy gonna play the party again? Last year Rocked!

Are You and One Guy gonna play the party again? Last year Rocked!

Don't know if we will be asked. If we do, we have many new additions from last year.

This will be my 31st in 32 years. I also hope to complete my second solo Mac a few weeks before. Robin, check your math I think you are off by one. You and I have always been tied and as I am sailing one of your old boats I try to keep tabs on you.

Mark

Don't know if we will be asked. If we do, we have many new additions from last year.

Who booked you guys last year? Are they in the position this year and if not who is?

If i can get you guys booked for 2008 will you play My Sherona only sing it "My Bologna"? That would rule! ;)

I'll make 25 this year

Linc

Ooooh..... Big party on the Island this year! Good thing we will be bringing the 75' stripper pole.

This one will be my 8th.

Geddy Up Brother ! Nothing like getting there and getting a good parking spot. I'll buy you your first (and 20th) drink at the Pink Pony. don't worry I'll save you a seat at the bar ~

You rock Pal! Even though I have no idea who you are! :blink:

If YOU know who I am, you know I should be able to make it to 20 drinks with no problem (actually, maybee I have a problem.... shit!!! :P ) Git yer wallet ready... ;)

Even though this is my 1st ChiMac, It will be my 16th or so BYC-Mac next year... The Screaming-O was no slouch with her turbo rig (rated IRC 1.102). I think there were 10 or 12 boats in the harbor last year when we got in (around 7:30pm, Monday). It was kind of eerie, actually...

Cheers,

Cujo

ok, my fifth. And my second ph mac. But, in my defense, it's only my sixth year of sailing.

227 days til the start...

Some of us have to get through KWRW first... Thank God for the lower lattitudes!!! :P

Some of us have to get through KWRW first... Thank God for the lower lattitudes!!! :P

MD, what cha sailing on for KWRW? I'll be down there in an official SA capacity, taken pics and writing shite.

Turtle Krahls is good training for the Pony.

This will be

number 3

Hate to change the subject slightly... but anyone have any hints on getting a ride for this summer for someone from out of town???

Hate to change the subject slightly... but anyone have any hints on getting a ride for this summer for someone from out of town???

Check out the crew forums, both on SA and on the CYC website.

One way that has worked well is to just show up on race day morning and walk docks to see who needs crew. My experience has been that someone is almost always short due to someone changing plans at the last minute, getting thrown into jail the night before, etc. If you do this, check with the harbormaster at CYC and Columbia - they should have a list of boats looking for crew and crew looking for boats.

Good luck!

Number Nine.

2008 will be the twentieth anniversary of my father's death. I will have surpassed my Father's 8 Chicago Mac rides. He left us way too soon. Some of you might have met him as he helmed the C&C 33 Midnight Pass for Nolan. I hope to be the first Island Goat in the family by 2025 at age 58. My brother stopped racing in the later eighties with about 6 or 7 Chicago Mac rides under his belt.

BB

Number Nine.

2008 will be the twentieth anniversary of my father's death. I will have surpassed my Father's 8 Chicago Mac rides. He left us way too soon. Some of you might have met him as he helmed the C&C 33 Midnight Pass for Nolan. I hope to be the first Island Goat in the family by 2025 at age 58. My brother stopped racing in the later eighties with about 6 or 7 Chicago Mac rides under his belt.

BB

Great way to honor your old man, mate. I hope my dad sticks around as long as possible, and when he does go, the only way I can think of to honor is legacy is to keep sailing.

Check out the crew forums, both on SA and on the CYC website.

One way that has worked well is to just show up on race day morning and walk docks to see who needs crew. My experience has been that someone is almost always short due to someone changing plans at the last minute, getting thrown into jail the night before, etc. If you do this, check with the harbormaster at CYC and Columbia - they should have a list of boats looking for crew and crew looking for boats.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice I will for sure try that.

Number Nine.

BB

BB,

When we're having our dinner at the woods, let us help you toast him. Make sure we leave one on the table for him. Everything you've told me about him says he would appreciate the drink.

T

OH SNAP! 25th BYC race this year. 10 more Chicago's for the double goat. "Double Old Goat" sounds like a really bad beer or a night to forget.

Number Nine.

BB

Pardon the hijack, 2006 was the 10th anniversary of my father's passing. Since he was always more of a PH Mac guy, my brother, brother in law and I spread a bit of his ashes passing Spectacle Reef. I am past his Mac totals on both sides now, but still remember those rides up together.

5th for me, 5th for the boat. Nice to think about this instead of the additional shoveling I need to do when I get home :angry: .

I know this threads about how many we've done, but we all had a first one (OK, I'm talking about a first mac here) We're putting on a seminar for first time mac skippers on Saturday at CYC and as of last night 107 people have signed up!

We my need trafic cops on the first night of the mac this year!

rew

I know this threads about how many we've done, but we all had a first one (OK, I'm talking about a first mac here) We're putting on a seminar for first time mac skippers on Saturday at CYC and as of last night 107 people have signed up!

rew

Just reverse the bow lights for us colorblind dyslexics.

How may entrants do you think you'll have on the line? Will there be any set limit?

Maybe next year would be the year to do the Hobart-type start ! :lol:

Just use the security guards from the night before. Clearly they keep all non-crew out from the party.

OH SNAP! 25th BYC race this year. 10 more Chicago's for the double goat. "Double Old Goat" sounds like a really bad beer or a night to forget.

Congrats on the BYC upcoming Old Goat status.

It is customary for new OG's to buy the first round at the Pony..............

................and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th............. :lol:

Congrats on the BYC upcoming Old Goat status.

It is customary for new OG's to buy the first round at the Pony..............

................and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th............. :lol:

With enough cash customers the week before Mac, the world is your oyster.

How may entrants do you think you'll have on the line? Will there be any set limit?

Maybe next year would be the year to do the Hobart-type start ! :lol:

We're planning and working for 400, no hard limit set yet.

We've actually taken a couple of swipes at a mass start over the last 10 years. Both times it got shot down pretty decisively. I don't think there are enough bullet proof jackets around to try again.

Man! Are you old!!! :P

By the way, try not to kill yourself this weekend, old man!

Cheers,

Cujo

We're planning and working for 400, no hard limit set yet.

We've actually taken a couple of swipes at a mass start over the last 10 years. Both times it got shot down pretty decisively. I don't think there are enough bullet proof jackets around to try again.

I think a massive single start, or, 1 start per Division is a great idea, and certainly adds to the spectacle. I would be a proponent of giving it a try.

always do

Can you get us extra!

I think a massive single start, or, 1 start per Division is a great idea, and certainly adds to the spectacle. I would be a proponent of giving it a try.

Bad Idea.

Half the fun of the first day is passing the Slower Boats! :lol:

Number Nine.

BB

BB,

2008 will be the 20th anniversary of my father's death too. He died at the young age of 56. While he wasn't a sailor, he was a double A tennis player, and he loved the water. So much so that while I was out racing, he often would invite MY wife (his daughter in law) to join him at his pool at his club.....That was my Dad! Being seen at the pool with my (now long ago ex-) 6 foot tall blond hair wife. ;)

God bless him, I miss him all the time. While I wasn't that hot at tennis, he was always proud of my sailing. So, on the island we'll have a few together in their memory. All are welcome to join us!

ID

Anyone go the seminar at CYC on Saturday for Chi-Mac newbies? Any good stuff?

Hroth

Anyone go the seminar at CYC on Saturday for Chi-Mac newbies? Any good stuff?

Hroth

Quick summary for you...

Make sure you have your paperwork in order!!!

I think it is funny when people say that they have done # or # of races. Don't you know how many Mac's you have done?

Someone posted that they did 1 or 2 Mac's. That was great.

I can see it when you have done 50+ Mac's. " oh I think I have done 53 or 54 of them." That makes sense.