Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fast Laser

100th Running Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac

Interesting from the CYC Website--looks like an entry limit is forthcoming. Wonder how many boats have agreed to go to St. Ignace? The other concern is all those multi-hulls--those folks sure do take up a lot of space and most will finish ahead of most of the mono-hull fleet. Still, my impression is that CYC is going a great job with the organization and communication around this event.

Hroth

Dear Sailors,

The 2008 Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac will be a record-breaking event. To date, we have received over 425 entries, breaking the old record of 325 set in 1998. We are delighted to see such strong interest in the Race. Rest assured that we are working very hard to provide all competitors and spectators a "once in a lifetime" experience.

As many of you are aware, docking on Mackinac Island is limited. At this time, all available docking on the Island has already been reserved. However, to accommodate the extraordinary level of interest in this year's Race, we are working with authorities on the Island and in the Straits area to secure some additional dockage. We are also modifying our website to accommodate these additional docking sites. To facilitate these changes, we have temporarily closed the registration feature of the website. We expect to reopen registration on or before Monday, February 3. Skippers who have already received invitations will be able to complete their online entry applications and pay their entry fees at that time.

If you are a skipper interested in joining us for the 100th Race, but have not received an invitation, you may request one by clicking here. We are currently evaluating how many additional boats we can invite, and expect to respond to these requests after March 15. While we hope to issue some additional invitations, please understand that we likely will not be able to accommodate everyone who would like to do the Race this year.

If you have any questions, please e-mail us at racecoordinator@chicagoyachtclub.org. Stay tuned for additional Race updates. We look forward to welcoming a record-breaking crowd to Chicago this July.

Regards,

Greg Miarecki

Chair

2008 Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac

Interesting from the CYC Website--looks like an entry limit is forthcoming. Wonder how many boats have agreed to go to St. Ignace? The other concern is all those multi-hulls--those folks sure do take up a lot of space and most will finish ahead of most of the mono-hull fleet. Still, my impression is that CYC is going a great job with the organization and communication around this event.

Hroth

I was wondering how many boats are on the bubble? do anyone know?

Can they issue a limit for the island? For instance, say you want to do the race and have agreed to touch-and-go or Mac City or St. Ig docking, can they offer you a spot?

It will reach a boat where there is just no more room to raft, wedge, or plant on the Island. I don't see how 450 will work even with St Ignace and Mac City unless you use the Arnold docks, redo the coal docks and erect some kind of temporary floating docks. Anchoring out just won't accommodate that many boats. None of the three are really very big harbors.

It will reach a boat where there is just no more room to raft, wedge, or plant on the Island. I don't see how 450 will work even with St Ignace and Mac City unless you use the Arnold docks, redo the coal docks and erect some kind of temporary floating docks. Anchoring out just won't accommodate that many boats. None of the three are really very big harbors.

If they let boats raft off the East side of the coal dock there is plenty of room, Probably room for 20 boats in the 30-35 foot range.

If you talking about the fuel dock side, there is not a lot of water in there.

How much water? 30-35' boats only draw like 6-8 feet, is it really that shallow.

How about the multi's they only draw 4-5' at the most.

Fuck it, let's let the powers that be figure that shit out.

We should just race, & race fast.

It's gonna be a shitfight to win a flag for the 100th.

anyone know these boats?

Courtesan

USA 52774

David Lockhart Dane Christy

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan

Bayview Yacht Club

Farr 49

Gaucho

USA 43737

Sanford Burris

Eastlake, Ohio

Lakeside Yacht Club

Farr 44

anyone know these boats?

Courtesan

USA 52774

Bayview Yacht Club

Farr 49

Gaucho

USA 43737

Sanford Burris

Eastlake, Ohio

Lakeside Yacht Club

Farr 44

Courtesan is the old Hellcat, ex. Bribon. Dane and Dave owned Hellion, C&C 43-2 but they lost the rig this year, and wound up getting a bigger boat. Bought Hellcat from USNA.

Gaucho, I believe, used to be called Oracle? Like a one of the last IOR boats ever built? I could be wrong on that, though...

anyone know these boats?

Courtesan

USA 52774 former Naval Academy Hellcat (former Canvasback & Brisbon)

Bayview Yacht Club

Farr 49

Gaucho

USA 43737

Sanford Burris

Eastlake, Ohio

Lakeside Yacht Club

Farr 44

Someone needs to get those plans that are referenced in the article and get them posted out here. There is no mention of whether the harbor will have increased capacity.

Can I get a volunteer to snowmobile over to the island and scan them? Triple 000? Fetzer? Shorty?

Hroth

Courtesan is the old Hellcat, ex. Bribon. Dane and Dave owned Hellion, C&C 43-2 but they lost the rig this year, and wound up getting a bigger boat. Bought Hellcat from USNA.

Here she be at the Academy when I was there back in October:

post-7091-1201138724_thumb.jpg

Bacchant hasn't raced the Mac for three years now. Just gotta wonder if Merlin will even fit at the island with a 12' draft.

Canting Keel and THEY DREDGED! I think so!

Any idea who this is? I don't recognize the name as a GL70 owner.

USA 50045

Lance Smotherman

Harrison Twp., Michigan

Bayview Yacht Club

Great Lakes 70

Old Colt 45

Oh, the HUMANITY!

Gone are the good ol days.

Should break out the wall stretcher for Horn's and the Pony, too. If you thought they were packed before...

Old Colt 45

Lance owns Melges 24 Evolution and 1D35 Evolution. 1D for sale, very clean. BYC.

Which 3 70s do the Jennings own now?

Lance owns Melges 24 Evolution and 1D35 Evolution. 1D for sale, very clean. BYC.

Which 3 70s do the Jennings own now?

Only two, Clean. Pied Piper and the Andrews 70 Decision/Pegasus. Lance S now owns the former Colt45/TBD.

One more change:

That's just so sad. Mackinac Island is not like it used to be. Remember the French Outpost before they cleaned it up? Those were good times...

Only two, Clean. Pied Piper and the Andrews 70 Decision/Pegasus. Lance S now owns the former Colt45/TBD.

Jack told me on Tuesday that they just bought a third.

That's just so sad. Mackinac Island is not like it used to be. Remember the French Outpost before they cleaned it up? Those were good times...

Can't remember much about the old Outpost other than I think I had a good time :lol:

If Jennings is buying a 70, it's likely to re-work it and make it fit into the GL 70 box, to help build the class. Doubt it's going to FL...

I have it on authority that it's another Andrews...

K..Makes sense now. I had heard they were looking at another Andrews beyond Decision, didn't know it got that serious. The old Trader, or Vicki?

Nice! It would be cool to get info on if they are increasing the number of slips and reconfiguring anything. It looks like the same setup from those pictures but just everything is new.

Hroth

The DNR site said they are NOT increasing capacity in the yacht harbor. I just hope the dredging gives the faster boats a chance to get into the slips.

One more change:

Sonofabitch. They are killing a historical site. That is the place where I consumed my first pitcher on the island (at an age I dare not recall or admit to). There was something about a tangle with a wild cougar that I don't really recall either.

This is a crime...

K..Makes sense now. I had heard they were looking at another Andrews beyond Decision, didn't know it got that serious. The old Trader, or Vicki?

I think Trader is already gone. I know. What are the odds?

I was/am only aware of PP1, Colt/TBD, and Decision/Runaway. I know Dick is always looking though. There were a couple more on the market that came up in conversation.

Any chance the "third" one Jack was talking about is Decision which would mean Colt is still being counted in the mix of boats Dick has owned recently?

Cap got married?

I know. I was shocked too. I couldn't believe he said yes...

Remind me to kick your ass later.

Someone needs to get those plans that are referenced in the article and get them posted out here. There is no mention of whether the harbor will have increased capacity.

Can I get a volunteer to snowmobile over to the island and scan them? Triple 000? Fetzer? Shorty?

Hroth

I will be there February 15 - 17 and take a look at the plans.

No, I am not going to copy 51 pages of blueprints.

76 slips? How many did they have b4?

anyone know these boats?

Courtesan

USA 52774

Bayview Yacht Club

Farr 49

Gaucho

USA 43737

Sanford Burris

Eastlake, Ohio

Lakeside Yacht Club

Farr 44

Gaucho sailed against us in last year's Bayview Mac (you weren't there) and they kicked our ass! Even all day upwind and we lost them that evening when it got light. Better step our game. I believe the boat has always been "Gaucho" and was on the hard for a couple of years in Nap town? She looked good in the Bayview.

I know. I was shocked too. I couldn't believe he said yes...

Remind me to kick your ass later.

EB? Jesus man, we didn't mean to take it that far..

I will be there February 15 - 17 and take a look at the plans.

No, I am not going to copy 51 pages of blueprints.

76 slips? How many did they have b4?

We will all look forward to your report! If you do not return, we will send out a St. Bernard for you. Good Luck and Godspeed!

Hroth

P.S. What in the hell would compel you to go to the island in the winter?

We will all look forward to your report! If you do not return, we will send out a St. Bernard for you. Good Luck and Godspeed!

Hroth

P.S. What in the hell would compel you to go to the island in the winter?

Will do.

Awesome x-country skiiing on the island! Trails are groomed and off limits to snowmobiles.

If the ice bridge forms, there will be lots of snowmobilers. Went across the ice from MI to SI and back a couple of times - saw open water - did not do it again. They loose a couple of sleds through the ice each year.

Grab a beer at the Village Idiot (Inn). All you can eat whitefish on fridays.

It's all good!

Check HERE for fairly current pics of harbor renovations. Harbor/slips do not appear to be expanded but dredging should help and allow more boats between the docks like the old days. Problem is that lake levels are low and at some point the dredges hit rock, so what the actual draft will be when we get there is anybody's guess. I just don't see where they will put everyone but that's not my job, mon.

The locals are protesting loudly about the cheap fake rock and fake wood fence along the roadway and it appears that the lawn that was good for drying sails or lounging about will be replaced by "landscaping." Watch the webcam. The plans/bid have to be filed somewhere on line. I have not searched.

Check HERE for fairly current pics of harbor renovations. Harbor/slips do not appear to be expanded but dredging should help and allow more boats between the docks like the old days. Problem is that lake levels are low and at some point the dredges hit rock, so what the actual draft will be when we get there is anybody's guess. I just don't see where they will put everyone but that's not my job, mon.

The locals are protesting loudly about the cheap fake rock and fake wood fence along the roadway and it appears that the lawn that was good for drying sails or lounging about will be replaced by "landscaping." Watch the webcam. The plans/bid have to be filed somewhere on line. I have not searched.

I saw some of the construction when I was there Oct 5 - 7. Have to agree with the locals on the fake rock stuff. If you are going to make the changes to make it look better, why go with the fake stuff?

I Heard their going to paint fake water on the fake rocks, so it looks like there's water in the fake lake.

There was a night there, Mustang, a few years back when a certain anarchist stopped the ceiling fan with his head. That was a good night, my friends.

One more change:

Damn - Sad day indeed. That place was a jewel amongst over-remodeled bars. I miss the real Outpost, when it was actually cool to go to... but then again, the boats were slower, I was younger, and the girls were better lookin' :P

Could very well be.

Perhaps your boss might shed some light? <_<

Well, based on my discussion with the man today the three boats that Jack must have been referring to are, Pied Piper GL 70, Blown/Colt GL 70 and Decision/Run Away an Andrews 70 and future GL 70.

There was a night there, Mustang, a few years back when a certain anarchist stopped the ceiling fan with his head. That was a good night, my friends.

Yep, said anarchist stood up on a chair and yelled out, "Hey everybody, watch this!"

'Thwap, thwap, thwap, thwap, thwap, thwap,,,,,,, thwap,,,,,, thwap,,,,,,,,,,,,, thwap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thwap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thwap..... (ceiling fan stopped with head)'

Arms stretched out, "Ta daaaaaa!"

The place went nuts.

Good times provided by the bike tossing extraordinaire himself.

Damn - Sad day indeed. That place was a jewel amongst over-remodeled bars. I miss the real Outpost, when it was actually cool to go to... but then again, the boats were slower, I was younger, and the girls were better lookin' :P

Ahhhh....right. First place I went to on my very first Mac. Under age and stupid. Good times.

Agree with slower boats and being younger. Girls wear less today, though :P

Yep, said anarchist stood up on a chair and yelled out, "Hey everybody, watch this!"

'Thwap, thwap, thwap, thwap, thwap, thwap,,,,,,, thwap,,,,,, thwap,,,,,,,,,,,,, thwap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thwap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thwap..... (ceiling fan stopped with head)'

The place went nuts.

We had one of those outings at the old French Outpost. We all got wasted and absolutely destroyed a table. Fucking thing was shattered laying flat on the floor. We convinced one of the waitresses to dance on the table, but then we all decided to dance with her. We figured we were all going to jail when the cops showed up, but one cop ended up being my old buddy from back home and helped us negotiate a deal with the owner the next day. Saved the girl's job, too!

Spoken to flounder......."Son, fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life........." to bad Dean Wermer is not longer amongst the living, too much white stuff here, could be time to rent that again....

Spoken to flounder......."Son, fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life........." to bad Dean Wermer is not longer amongst the living, too much white stuff here, could be time to rent that again....

buy it.... HD-DVD

Dean Vernon Wormer: Mr. Kroger: two C's, two D's and an F. That's a 1.2 grade average. Congratulations, Kroger. You're at the top of the Delta pledge class. Mr. Dorfman?

Flounder: Hello!

Dean Vernon Wormer: Zero point two... Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. Mr. Hoover, president of Delta house? One point six; four C's and an F. A fine example you set! Daniel Simpson Day... HAS no grade point average. All courses incomplete. Mr. Blu - MR. BLUTARSKY... ZERO POINT ZERO.

The Flounder

is epic.

One of the best movies of all time...

I had just started college (at 17) when the movie came out 2 weeks later....Animal House was awesome! Saw it 4 times in 3 weeks-

Sneeking in cans of beer, opening at the loud moments... Fun Memories.

God bless John Belushi!

ID

http://charthorizon.com/races/2007_annapol.../quick_view.php

This is the tracker for this year.

I like it.

Pretty cool, but really this is one of the few distance races I don't care about the tracker, Why?

Because I'm racing in the race!

It is nice to look at it after the race.

buy it.... HD-DVD

Dean Vernon Wormer: Mr. Kroger: two C's, two D's and an F. That's a 1.2 grade average. Congratulations, Kroger. You're at the top of the Delta pledge class. Mr. Dorfman?

Flounder: Hello!

Dean Vernon Wormer: Zero point two... Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. Mr. Hoover, president of Delta house? One point six; four C's and an F. A fine example you set! Daniel Simpson Day... HAS no grade point average. All courses incomplete. Mr. Blu - MR. BLUTARSKY... ZERO POINT ZERO.

The Flounder

is epic.

Here's "the rest of the story"...

I know a guy in Chicago that claims he was a frat brother of Harold Ramis (Animal House screenwriter), and was the model for Blutarsky. I told him I wasn't so sure that was something to brag about... however, I can tell you that he is fat, a drunk, and fabulously wealthy... apparently he turned around that ZERO POINT ZERO after all :lol:

After last year's Mac we went to St. Ignace to get fuel etc. for the delivery to Port Huron for the next race. While in St. Ignace, I checked out the harbor and facilities and while doing so ran into Bob Christie (from CYC). He was there to check out things there too, as he is an officer of the Club and involved with the '08 Mac.

He told me that the SI harbor is prepared to hold up to 180 boats.... if there are 450 total, that means 270 can be on the island. And, subtract those boats that will finish and then head back right away (20?) and it might work. He also said that they will be running extra ferries (at a discount) back and forth.

ID

I don't know if this has been covered, but entry is temporarily closed due to docking.

They say it'll be back on by next week at the latest.

Here's "the rest of the story"...

I know a guy in Chicago that claims he was a frat brother of Harold Ramis (Animal House screenwriter), and was the model for Blutarsky. I told him I wasn't so sure that was something to brag about... however, I can tell you that he is fat, a drunk, and fabulously wealthy... apparently he turned around that ZERO POINT ZERO after all :lol:

Harold Ramis said that he wrote animal house after 1 semester at the University of Illinois.

*edit,* wikipidia has him going to college at Western Univiersity in St. Louis.... not sure of the statement above now...

Harold Ramis said that he wrote animal house after 1 semester at the University of Illinois.

*edit,* wikipidia has him going to college at Western Univiersity in St. Louis.... not sure of the statement above now...

IIRC, co-wrote it with Doug Kinney (played Stork, the drum major substitute in the parade...."what are we supposed to do you moron"). Cable company screwed up and we had it playing for a month continuously back in grad school.

Kinney wrote for National Lampoon magazine and he was found dead at the bottom of a cliff in Hawaii, I don't think it was ever determined if it was suicide/accident. National Lampoon magazine had a cartoon in their next issue with a cliff scene overlooking the ocean with a sign, "Doug Kinney slipped here."

General Recall? :o

Rumors are flying: Canvasback has sold and is coming to Michigan, and will be here for the Mac, and Dane Christie reportedly has a new ride coming after having HELLION (C&C 43R on the market for 2 years... dropped the rig last fall and bought a boat from the Naval Academy?

My guess is the race entries will continue to grow as CYC get's caught up with an overwhelming response.

More big boats to show yet... and Division 1, 2, 3 and likely Div 4 will all be boats with phrf of <0

Last year sect 2 was comprised of boats that rated from 1.030 (scratch boat SUE farr 42) to Fast Eddy (J130) Big Country (Farr 47) and Eagles Wings, (Grand Soliel 44) rated .987 and .984. I'm guessing these guys will be Sect 4 at best in '08,... one caveat... OD Farr 40's had only 5 entries in '07 ... not enough for a OD start, and if that changes, it might shift things up a bit...

More to come!

OD Farr 40's had only 5 entries in '07 ... not enough for a OD start, and if that changes, it might shift things up a bit...

7 entered so far this year, and perhaps one or two more to come?

Speaking of college flicks. Chris Farley was a rugger. When he was attending Marquette University he had done some amazingly stupid shit.

Allegedly Burned down part of his frat house while trippin on acid

Walked into a party and took a shit in the corner pocket of a pool table

Pursued one of the hottest chicks on campus by asking her out daily, only to be rejected; daily ( that I got from the hottie first hand)

Came out for my rugby club and was told to basically go away.

I believe he played for Lincoln Park Rugby Club for a bit.

I've met several friends of the late Chris Farley, we was supposedly one fucked up cat. Larger than life it's self.

No John Belushi, but a close second when it comes to second....

Rumors are flying: Canvasback has sold and is coming to Michigan, and will be here for the Mac, and Dane Christie reportedly has a new ride coming after having HELLION (C&C 43R on the market for 2 years... dropped the rig last fall and bought a boat from the Naval Academy?

More to come!

No mystery on Christie's boat, she's sitting at Bayview. Saw her yesterday. Huge mast section and pretty big rig, sweet looking ride. No camera in my phone or I'd have snapped a pic. Apparantly Hellion has been sold and the new owners are looking for a rig.

I don't know if this has been covered, but entry is temporarily closed due to docking.

They say it'll be back on by next week at the latest.

yeah, not back 'til Feb 3. after we've hashed it all out at the Weathermark the night before.

The place went nuts.

I take my bow.

As for the bike toss.. at the time, it was the new record (46' 10"). Not sure if that still stands.

When will the Mac Safety Regs be posted?

I asked the same question a few weeks ago. Never received a reply...

I know that someone from the Mac committee posts occasionally.

Perhaps they will chime in...

Doesn't that boat hold the record for fastest multihull to the island?

"Steve Fossett on Stars and Stripes set the multihull record of 18 hours, 50 minutes, and 32 seconds in 1998." From the CYC website.