• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fast Laser

100th Running Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac

There is a marine superintendent but I don't know his name. That club is pretty dormant this time of year so calling probably wouldn't do much good. I would bet that CYC eventually will post info on the Mac web site about this subject.

Also note that the hoists are not owned by CYC but by Chicago Park District and administered by Westrec for the city - so Westrec is the way to approach this - unless CYC has made special arrangements??. I am pretty sure it would be heavily frowned upon (without prior consent) to park you vehicle/trailer in the Belmont parking lot.

There is only about 5 1/2 feet of water under the hoists at Belmont - to launch a Hendo you would have to use the keel hoist to launch and until you pull to a dock with more water.

Someone should ask JoeO to see his essay.

Since you asked nicely... remember, I've only started it...

It was 2AM and pitch black. No moon , no stars. Impossible to see. Driving rain. Howling wind. The boat bucked and lurched like a rodeo bull foaming at the mouth on PCP. Cold. Bone chilling cold. Like how your hand gets when you’re rooting around in the half-melted ice in the bottom of the cooler for that last can of Old Milwaukee. But no time for happy memories now. Must focus. No time now for distractions.

He trimmed harder. Lines groaned. He groaned. Just a bit more. He could feel its effect now. A little bit more - not too much though. “If in doubt, let it out” was the old saw. Yes – that was it - perfect! Finally, he got his pipe berth in just the right position and drifted off into a psychotic slumber filled with visions of places he’d been and people he’d known, like that one barmaid he met during a stop on that delivery from Montserrat to Caracas, who asked if she could come along because she wanted to see her sister Cecilia who was going to be married next month to the son of the outhouse builder the next village over but she didn’t really like him but went along with it because she read in an old copy of “New Yorker” magazine about a guy who became fabulously wealthy by building buildings and making “developments” and so she knew in the deepest places of her heart that Rodrigo would well and truly be the “Donaldo Trump” of the Venezualan countryside. Sure, they would have to start small, maybe only a two-placer – but then, by employing a modular concept, they could grow and grow and grow…

Changing the subject a bit...

I am planning to trailer my boat both ways. I will be one of the smaller boats entered. So can anyone give me the best options to put in and out? ~4000lbs, single point lift, sitting on trailer it sits 13'6" and draws 5'.

Thanks in advance.

Probably too tal for the hoists at Montrose. They are 2 ton hoists (so just barely making it) but not nearly as tall as the Belmont hoist. There is over 20 feet of water under the hoists though.

When we haul out, is St. Ignace or Mac City our better bet?

Mac city... they were able to haul out Pigs in Space (the Farr36/Mumm36 prototype) and get it on it's trailer no problem. Also, why cross the bridge (and pay the toll) if you don't have to. You can proably call them and get more specifics (Google 'em).

I'm pretty sure we're going the Mac city route for haul-out. I'll let Eclipse5499 have fun with the Chicago launching issues though.

Now if we could just get rid of that Mariah 27 so we could have the title of "smallest monohull in the 100th Mac!"

Since you asked nicely... remember, I've only started it...

It was 2AM and pitch black. No moon , no stars. Impossible to see. Driving rain. Howling wind. The boat bucked and lurched like a rodeo bull foaming at the mouth on PCP. Cold. Bone chilling cold. Like how your hand gets when you’re rooting around in the half-melted ice in the bottom of the cooler for that last can of Old Milwaukee. But no time for happy memories now. Must focus. No time now for distractions.

He trimmed harder. Lines groaned. He groaned. Just a bit more. He could feel its effect now. A little bit more - not too much though. “If in doubt, let it out†was the old saw. Yes – that was it - perfect! Finally, he got his pipe berth in just the right position and drifted off into a psychotic slumber filled with visions of places he’d been and people he’d known, like that one barmaid he met during a stop on that delivery from Montserrat to Caracas, who asked if she could come along because she wanted to see her sister Cecilia who was going to be married next month to the son of the outhouse builder the next village over but she didn’t really like him but went along with it because she read in an old copy of “New Yorker†magazine about a guy who became fabulously wealthy by building buildings and making “developments†and so she knew in the deepest places of her heart that Rodrigo would well and truly be the “Donaldo Trump†of the Venezualan countryside. Sure, they would have to start small, maybe only a two-placer – but then, by employing a modular concept, they could grow and grow and grow…

This one is to easy to laugh at.

He trimmed harder. He groaned. He had his pipe in the birthing position.

Do Joe's ramblings remind you of Mr. J. Peterman?

Cecilia who was going to be married next month to the son of the outhouse builder the next village over but she didn’t really like him but went along with it because she read in an old copy of “New Yorker†magazine about a guy who became fabulously wealthy by building buildings and making “developments†and so she knew in the deepest places of her heart that Rodrigo would well and truly be the “Donaldo Trump†of the Venezualan countryside. Sure, they would have to start small, maybe only a two-placer – but then, by employing a modular concept, they could grow and grow and grow. With all of this growing one can sure use a pair of J Peterman Strech Cargo Pants, available in M, L, XL and 2XL.

Hahaha

Also note that the hoists are not owned by CYC but by Chicago Park District and administered by Westrec for the city - so Westrec is the way to approach this - unless CYC has made special arrangements??.

Nope. Cranes are owned by CYC.

I am pretty sure it would be heavily frowned upon (without prior consent) to park you vehicle/trailer in the Belmont parking lot.

Nope again. The lot at Belmont is a pay lot. You pay for each spot you use for 24 hours. One spot for truck. One spot for trailer. Last year's rate was $8 so if i've punched the numbers in the calculator correctly I come up with....ahhh....$16/day? Keep in mind that there is almost zero security presence in that lot.

There is only about 5 1/2 feet of water under the hoists at Belmont - to launch a Hendo you would have to use the keel hoist to launch and until you pull to a dock with more water.

And he goes down swinging. With the extemely low water level in LM right now there is only about 3.5 feet of water under the cranes (as of December). However, Westrec allegedly has a permit, and plans, to dredge the entire area south of the CYC barge to a depth of 8' this spring.

"Nope. Cranes are owned by CYC."

Nope, the cranes are owned by the park district.

Teddy should probably weigh in here. I think he is the one person I am certain has the correct answer.

I was going to ask the same question, but we have the option of ramp launching.

What is the best area to park the truck and trailer to prep the boat for the race and then ramp/hoist launch? When we haul out, is St. Ignace or Mac City our better bet? We are planning to prep the boat and launch it the day before (hopefully), to berth the boat overnight before the race and then haul out right after, tear it down, pack it and send it home.

Any help is truly appreciated from this SoCal Mac newb...

One thing might be to drive to Michigan City, IN, St. Joe, MI, or South Haven, MI and launch there, then do the short delivery over. That way, your shore crew is aleady in Michigan and only has to get the gear north to Mackinac City. No screwing with Chicago traffic and logistics. I suspect docking at CYC will be free as in year's past and the delivery across the bottom of Lake Mich is only 40-50 miles or so.

Hroth

Burnham Harbor is also very narrow to trailer launch. The Hobie33 barley fit, mabe 6" either side, I believe it had an 8ft beam. I not positive but I don't believe they have a mast tower.

Burnham Harbor is also very narrow to trailer launch. The Hobie33 barley fit, mabe 6" either side, I believe it had an 8ft beam. I not positive but I don't believe they have a mast tower.

There is a mast crane at the Burnham Park YC, which is across the harbor and a little North of the ramps.

"Nope. Cranes are owned by CYC."

Nope, the cranes are owned by the park district.

Both statements are correct actually. North crane is PD owned. OD cranes by club are club owned, mast step crane on barge is club owned. Good news about the club cranes is the PD is supposedly dredging south belmont which has been shallowing. Something about how Etchells Worlds needs to be about to launch boats and how embarassing it would be for the Chicago 2016 bid if the regatta went poorly because of a shallow harbor. Brillant move!

Teddy should probably weigh in here. I think he is the one person I am certain has the correct answer.

I asked Westrec this exact question. Chicago Park District owns the drystall and the hoists was the answer from Westrec. I don't think ANY club owns ANY property on the waterfront. CYC may have paid for the hoists...........

With the extemely low water level in LM right now there is only about 3.5 feet of water under the cranes (as of December). However, Westrec allegedly has a permit, and plans, to dredge the entire area south of the CYC barge to a depth of 8' this spring. Down 2 feet from last spring? So you cannot even launch an eggshell right now?

I should probably clarify our sitation a bit more...

We are a San Diego-based Melges 30 with an outboard coming to do the race for the first time. We can put in anywhere with 3+ feet of draft and motor to a place to drop the keel. Ramps are fine, hoists are fine. Any delivery ( say longer than 15 miles) really would be a pain.

It is sounding that Mac City (my first guess) is a reasonable choice. My goal on the Chicago side of things is prep the boat and to put in somewhere close to the start line a day or so before the race and go. It sounds like Belmont may be the best call?

Anyway... thanks for the info and keep it coming. Like I said... we are newbs to this race and all of the advice is well taken.

My opinion is ramp at Burnham.

Belmont traffic in July is a mess, especially if the Cubs are playing.

Burnham has a huge lot, easier driving, deeper h2o, 2 ramps, closer to the starting line & a ship store.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Lance owns Melges 24 Evolution and 1D35 Evolution. 1D for sale, very clean. BYC.

Which 3 70s do the Jennings own now?

The 1D35 has been sold...

Here we go again. Looking for another charter and the NM43 is way too expensive. Any other boats 40-45' available?

Which NM43?

SailDry - if you can't fid a charter for CYC you are invited to sail with us on the Melges.

If Jennings has three 70's now would any of them be available for charter for the PH - Mac race?

SailDry - if you can't fid a charter for CYC you are invited to sail with us on the Melges.

If Jennings has three 70's now would any of them be available for charter for the PH - Mac race?

What am I, chopped liver?

I am sailing already, just trying to help out the guys from last year. I guess they had a good time despite mine and ND's antics.

"Sit down, STFU and clip on! If you want more clothes, let me know. If you need to go to the bathroom, pee in your pants. Where did NJ go? Where the hell is LaserTy with my cocktail? Don't pull that! It will inflate the raft!!!"

My shoulder hurt for two months after bicycle demo derby at 4am. Good Times.

What am I, chopped liver?

You've got a sweet ride with Geff again this year on Nice Pair for both Mac's... right?

You've got a sweet ride with Geff again this year on Nice Pair for both Mac's... right?

Got shitcanned for a paying customer. Can't blame him, I'd do the same, but we are currently rideless, and we don't do slow (anymore). Got some shiney multihull awards here, though, if that's useful to anyone with a speedy ride.

The 1D35 has been sold...

Just to clarify, Jennings does not exactly own three. I supose it is technically correct to say three, but #1 Pied Piper is Jack's boat, #2. Kathmandu then Colt 45 then Blow em to Smithereen is under contract to be sold to Lance. The deal is basically done awaiting finalization of the work on the boat. This is no secret. #3. the Andrews 70 Decision is in New Orleans and maybe chartered for the Chicago Mac. It will still be in turbo set up and will not be in GL 70 box mode until 2009.

Thanks Sam,

A GL 70 rule ready boat for PH Mac is not a hitch. Doing both Macs and HS in three consecutive weeks on a Melges 32 for a crew whos average age is 48 is the hitch. We don't recover as quckley as we used to and the softer ride plus a couple hours of sleep would be nice.

Thanks Sam,

A GL 70 rule ready boat for PH Mac is not a hitch. Doing both Macs and HS in three consecutive weeks on a Melges 32 for a crew whos average age is 48 is the hitch. We don't recover as quckley as we used to and the softer ride plus a couple hours of sleep would be nice.

Babies.

There is something to be said for slower and comfy.. One of these years I want to do the big cruising boat with multi course meals, hot showers, and the bottomless cooler.

Just to clarify, Jennings does not exactly own three. I supose it is technically correct to say three, but #1 Pied Piper is Jack's boat, #2. Kathmandu then Colt 45 then Blow em to Smithereen is under contract to be sold to Lance. The deal is basically done awaiting finalization of the work on the boat. This is no secret. #3. the Andrews 70 Decision is in New Orleans and maybe chartered for the Chicago Mac. It will still be in turbo set up and will not be in GL 70 box mode until 2009.

SAM - from someone posting as JRJ - FEB 8th Decision 72 link

"The boat is scheduled to be chartered for the 2008 Chicago Mac Race, Bayview Mac Race and Harbor Springs. After that back into the National Marine Shed for a IRC refit and then hopefully on the start line for the Pineapple Cup in Feb 2009."

Got shitcanned for a paying customer. Can't blame him, I'd do the same, but we are currently rideless, and we don't do slow (anymore). Got some shiney multihull awards here, though, if that's useful to anyone with a speedy ride.

Man Up! Who's got a fast ride for a couple of the coolest peeps in Sailing?

It was rumored now true. Copernicus has officially changed it's entry to a Farr 49.

Welcome, Mike and Kate. Bring KO back with you.

Yee haw.

Canvasback....

Man Up! Who's got a fast ride for a couple of the coolest peeps in Sailing?

Don't worry about it, bro. We've got a couple of good leads. Just let us know if you hear of anything that'll do over 25 knots that's short a couple.

Don't worry about it, bro. We've got a couple of good leads. Just let us know if you hear of anything that'll do over 25 knots that's short a couple.

Here you Go, This boat does 25 kts solid and is looking for a couple.

Yeah a few...It's one less now ;)

Ah oh, I feel a 'whack' coming on... Fucking greaseballs think they're all in the God damn mafia.... :P

Don't forget Don has the 60ft cat, Stars & Stripes. You do know him, right?

Ah oh, I feel a 'whack' coming on... Fucking greaseballs think they're all in the God damn mafia.... :P

Don't forget Don has the 60ft cat, Stars & Stripes. You do know him, right?

How YOU Doin'

LOL

There's no hit on ya brau ~ You sail..you're in the club..Friendly banter and all...We can dish it and take it and dish it out again.

I have yet to have the pleasure of meeting Mr. Wilson...Is he cool? ;)

I know the boat spent some time in Sarasota by the Squadron...She may have been missing a burgee after that mooring though...maybe

BTW...Limit Reached on Entrys...450..No More..If ya got an invitation..you're on the waiting list.

Genuine Risk ends up the longest overall at 90' and she draws 19 feet!! :o

Damn That's a big boat

GR.jpg

How YOU Doin'

LOL

There's no hit on ya brau ~ You sail..you're in the club..Friendly banter and all...We can dish it and take it and dish it out again.

I know the boat spent some time in Sarasota by the Squadron...She may have been missing a burgee after that mooring though...maybe

BTW...Limit Reached on Entrys...450..No More..If ya got an invitation..you're on the waiting list.

Genuine Risk ends up with the longest waterline of 90'

Damn That's a big boat

post-20085-1202783591_thumb.jpg

Great photo! thanks for posting... what the term for the blade fwd of the mast?

How YOU Doin'

LOL

I miss the Sopranos...

I don't know him, but I know people how say he's a nice guy. I've had a good friend that's worked for him, and one of my other buddies flew out east for some match racing with him. I was introduced to him years ago, I'm sure he wouldn't remember me. I wasn't quite 'Mongified' at that point of the evening....

So, Genuine (Draft) Risk is in, coolio. Draft... Did I just coin that, or have you peeps being calling her that since day one?

I miss the Sopranos...

I don't know him, but I know people how say he's a nice guy. I've had a good friend that's worked for him, and one of my other buddies flew out east for some match racing with him. I was introduced to him years ago, I'm sure he wouldn't remember me. I wasn't quite 'Mongified' at that point of the evening....

So, Genuine (Draft) Risk is in, coolio. Draft... Did I just coin that, or have you peeps being calling her that since day one?

Pretty sure it's always been Genuine Dog.

I'm loving it!

Got a call tonight and may have a spot open on my 30, Clean. Interested?

What is your idea of a reasonably priced charter on a boat that size?

-Z

With decent sails and possession for a two day race? 8-10% of market value.

With decent sails and possession for a two day race? 8-10% of market value.

That's an interesting formula. With an invite and no boat here, you could spent $20K shipping a 40' from and to a coast. With a boat here but no invite (waiting list of 70+) more SOL. It will take a lot to persuade an owner to cut regular crew. 'Course it shouldn't be too hard to find a cash strapped owner here in Michigan...

I can just see it now...

Scalping seats for the 100th Mac...

"Hi I'm the new owner of the former Maricha, and I'd like to buy your registration for $20,000"

Can anyone get their hands on this waiting list? I'll just bet a couple of deals could be brokered on this one.

I can just see it now...

Scalping seats for the 100th Mac...

"Hi I'm the new owner of the former Maricha, and I'd like to buy your registration for $20,000"

Can anyone get their hands on this waiting list? I'll just bet a couple of deals could be brokered on this one.

invitation_and_entries.doc

I can't believe there is so much interest in the 100th Mac. The fact that there is a thread about a race 6 months away is pretty amazing. 450 entries is mind boggling & a waiting list as well. Docking, parties, lodging, dredging, ferries; all a concern. I can't imaging the build up in the weeks prior to the start. I can tell you that my work capacity will be about zero for the 2 weeks prior. The entries are really impressive for the 40-70ft range. It's gonna get pretty intense.

Grinder standing by on 72.

I can't believe there is so much interest in the 100th Mac. The fact that there is a thread about a race 6 months away is pretty amazing. 450 entries is mind boggling & a waiting list as well. Docking, parties, lodging, dredging, ferries; all a concern. I can't imaging the build up in the weeks prior to the start. I can tell you that my work capacity will be about zero for the 2 weeks prior. The entries are really impressive for the 40-70ft range. It's gonna get pretty intense.

With you Grinder, Between the Island and Harbor Springs... Northern, MI is going to be the place to be in July. Townies beware! :lol:

so will Copernicus be a Chicago boat full time? Is this the old Canvasback?

Pretty funny having

IDLER

Urashek

Canvasback

and others all in Chicago....

...Where yesterdays designs are todays racers.

so will Copernicus be a Chicago boat full time? Is this the old Canvasback?

Pretty funny having

IDLER

Urashek

Canvasback

and others all in Chicago....

...Where yesterdays designs are todays racers.

My old ride HOWL was Canvasback. Coppernuts has been out west in San Fran, is it coming home?

The entries are really impressive for the 40-70ft range. It's gonna get pretty intense.

I thought 28 fat little pig 36.7's was impressive.

I can't wait to zip around the maze of red and green lights.

Good times,

DG

Copernicus is listed as a Farr 49 on the Mac site, or is it something else?

Ike?

Follow the sail number, hull design.... Deepthroat..... Rosebud...... Watergate...... Get with it dumbies!! You get one google search after checking the CYC Mac Current Entries page.

Oh, fuck it. Key West 2004??

slight hijack...

Time to consider updating those lake levels on our maps

So..... is it me, or is it time to plug the huge fucking underwater stream to Ontario and Erie?

Thanks again, Army Corps.

Crying shame.

DG

So..... is it me, or is it time to plug the huge fucking underwater stream to Ontario and Erie?

Thanks again, Army Corps.

Crying shame.

DG

My dad is a bit of an erosion expert, and he said the current problem can be remedied. It will take many, many large boulders, but if they are placed in a concentrated area, the water flow will be reduced back to its original rate.

My dad is a bit of an erosion expert, and he said the current problem can be remedied. It will take many, many large boulders, but if they are placed in a concentrated area, the water flow will be reduced back to its original rate.

If we emptied the rocks out of your head, would that work?

Cheers.

Hroth

Hroth,

play nice now or we'll cut your beer rations

I can't help it. I've been in a pissy mood this winter. Plus, everyone knows that PhD chemists have more rocks in their head than anyone, including PhD statisticians!

Hroth

I have a PHD...in armchair quarterbacking. No rocks in my head, just empty rum bottles clinking around.

I can't help it. I've been in a pissy mood this winter. Plus, everyone knows that PhD chemists have more rocks in their head than anyone, including PhD statisticians!

Hroth

Hroth has a point here. I work next to some freaking brainiac chemists in the pharmacuetical industry, and he's hitting it right on the head...

We should still play nice...especially if a members dad can put a bunch of big boulders anywhere he wants. Next hing you know, you're in a range rover commercial trying to get in to your driveway.

a members dad can put a bunch of big boulders anywhere he wants. Next hing you know, you're in a range rover commercial trying to get in to your driveway.

I think that was a Jeep commercial. :rolleyes:

HI work next to some freaking brainiac chemists in the pharmacuetical industry

That would describe Shorty perfectly!

And I think agree that we should play nice...but I'm not sure

Hroth

Hroth has a point here. I work next to some freaking brainiac chemists in the pharmacuetical industry, and he's hitting it right on the head...

We should still play nice...especially if a members dad can put a bunch of big boulders anywhere he wants. Next hing you know, you're in a range rover commercial trying to get in to your driveway.

What company do you work for? And yeah, you should play nice or I'll have my dad drop a bunch of boulders on your head.

I totally agree! I did a soft calculation and there should be about 30 to 35 monohulls that should beat us to the island. And yes, you are one of those.

I totally agree! I did a soft calculation and there should be about 30 to 35 monohulls that should beat us to the island. And yes, you are one of those.

Shit.

Maybe we will finish within 10 seconds of each other again.

Shit.

Maybe we will finish within 10 seconds of each other again.

I just got goose bumps and a hard on remembering that finish. Wait, maybe that one goose bump IS my hard on. Shit. I'm going to my spam folder and reply to some of those enlargement emails... twice.

Great race from the reef to the finish indeed last year, props to Titty Twister, let's do it again this year.

What company do you work for? And yeah, you should play nice or I'll have my dad drop a bunch of boulders on your head.

PM me and I'll answer all your questions...LOL I could use a couple of noodle thumps..get's things jump started again after Key West