stinky

DC Designs

Thanks for the above post Phil - "I too had two goes at it. "- It's reassuring to know that. I guess it's all part of the fun of doing things like this in public.

Ian McP

It is good to hear of things being built and people sharing ideas. I will add a few if I might.

Models. I typically build 1:4, which is most convenient if you are trained and stick to oldie english measurement units.

1/4= 1 inch 3" = 1" for example. Further benefit is that the pieces are big enough to be made in a shop big enough to build boats and not on the kitchen table. For me, being able to use my regular tools is a help. Also the scale is large enough such that a certain amount of accuracy or lack of it effects how the model turns out, and you actually can practice how you are going to build the hull in real life.

One thing I learned with the models is how hard it is to keep things straight and symmetrical. So I started adding a keel stringer to the hull. This allows me to repeatedly triangulate off of a known centerline as the hull is spread and then pinched.

Sticks that are the same length are wedged between the keel stringer and the underside of the gunwales. By this means I know both sides are spread the same amount and that the included angle at the chines are the same.

I haven't won the end of the darts war. I redrafted the keel seam as per Phils recommendations and got a bulge forward of the absolute end. It clearly is a knack. The bulge at the absolute I have (in the past) solved by putting a backing of plywood and or glop and carbon there and sanding until it went away. It is important to stabilize the shape where you think it is correct, and then grind the bump down. If you don't do this, the bump grows as you grind because the stress continues to relieve itself.

I haven't had much luck with the stitch part of stitch and glue. I find the wiring of seams to be a pretty foolish way to do things. It seems easier to bond little blocks in place with 5 minute epoxy or polyester filler I even screw blocks onto the skins so I can use conventional spring clamps to hold things in place. It just seems easier and more reliable to me than all that wire which gets in the way of doing a nice job of the fillets and taping.

Finally on the reverse sheer... ICs typically have high crowned foredecks, as such there is an inherent reverse in their outboard profiles. So it is kind of sensible to have the sheerline to some extent reflect this. Personally, I never thought of myself as a big proponent of reverse sheers, and spent a reasonable amount of time studying the art of matching the flare and spring of a sheerline that is traditionally most attractive. However, probably half the boats I have designed have had some form of reverse sheer because the logic of the design somehow ended up leading in that direction. Racing boats in particular seem to almost demand reverse sheers.

SHC

I do not use much wire. I like think cord, fishing line and lots of gaffa tape. The tape also stops the resin leaking through to the outside and making a mess.

I do not get a symetry problem. The #5 photo on the flikr reference shows the hull stretched out ready for the inside seam. #6 shows it pulled in a few days later after outside seams. Both have minimal bracing. But Steve's CL stringer has value for his reasons and to keep the aft keel line straight.

For those who spot the difference, the free board at was trimmed in next few days.

I do not use much wire. I like think cord, fishing line and lots of gaffa tape. The tape also stops the resin leaking through to the outside and making a mess.

I thought I saw nylon cable ties used in some of your photo's, but maybe it was someone else's. I've always used copper wire, which has worked well enough for me, but I though that cable ties would be a good idea because you can easily trim them off with a plane later, whereas when you do that with wire, it makes a bit of a mess of the blade. The worst thing about using wire is that you end up with blood stains in the wood grain. :blink:

I remember trying cable ties but for high load areas but I could not get them tight enough. Wire is bad for flesh and tools.

The Gougeons suggest for model ply thickness/ full size ply thickness ratios for 1"=1',

Aircraft birch ply

.8mm = 5/32" 3 ply

1mm = 3/16" 3 ply

1.2mm = 1/4" 3ply

1.5mm = 1/4" 5 ply

What model thickness ply do you guys use to scale up to full scale 3mm or 4mm? How many plys for each, model and full size?

Paul

The Gougeons suggest for model ply thickness/ full size ply thickness ratios for 1"=1',

Aircraft birch ply

.8mm = 5/32" 3 ply

1mm = 3/16" 3 ply

1.2mm = 1/4" 3ply

1.5mm = 1/4" 5 ply

What model thickness ply do you guys use to scale up to full scale 3mm or 4mm? How many plys for each, model and full size?

Paul

I used 1.00mm 3ply for this model at 1:5 scale.

I started out using 0.6mm 3ply and quickly realised, for me, the extra expence of 0.6 ply at twice the price of 1.00mm didn't add any thing to my knowledge. The problem for me is that you can scale the ply but I found I couldn't scale the fillets or tapes to make it worthwhile using the 0.6mm.

Hull is 3mm 3ply from Robbins Timber in the UK

Ian

post-15958-1262019232_thumb.jpg

I scale the thickness of the plywood by the same factor as everything else. Which means that for a 1/4 scale model, 0.8mm plywood is as close as you can get to 3mm in the full scale.

You can't scale the cloth without going to great lengths, but you can be careful not to make the fillets too big.

All benefits of making the models as big as you practically can.

I haven't done the full cost analysis, but my guess is that the difference in actual dollars is trivial, and compared to what you are planning to do next.....anything that eliminates a mistake or two is well worth the extra shilling.

The other thing is that these hulls do look like they would make nifty sailing models....they are about 25mm too long to be Marbleheads, but it is something to think about if you want to get "extra" value out of your model by spending another hundred quid or so for radios and sail trim winches.

SHC

I had real plans to trim one of my 1/4 IC models to take my Marblehead rigs, but then our new puppy found my models and the idea got eaten.

When our new puppy is not trying to eat my hand, he is eyeing my ply models. He has partaken of some the cardboard ones. But he is a climber. And I have to also remember that for a puppy, chew toy also = cello.

Paul

I had real plans to trim one of my 1/4 IC models to take my Marblehead rigs, but then our new puppy found my models and the idea got eaten.

Your dog was justified for any damage it may have inflicted - fancy trying to make him wear that woolen jumper!

Has any more thought been given to how we might get an NS14 style rig to work on an IC effectively?

Has any more thought been given to how we might get an NS14 style rig to work on an IC effectively?

Christian,

The narrow IC beam makes a rig like the NS too hard. The staying angles plus the narrower than normal diamonds needed, plus IC righting moments would make the mast compression loads much higher than imposed on an NS mast.

But I think moth type spreaders would work for an over-rotating mast but the forward prodder would make a jib difficult.

I considered buying an CST NS mast but have decided to try a new sail on my existing unstayed rig before committing to a hull rebuild to get the chainplate width needed.

The narrow IC beam makes a rig like the NS too hard. The staying angles plus the narrower than normal diamonds needed, plus IC righting moments would make the mast compression loads much higher than imposed on an NS mast.

Interesting. Why do you think this is a big problem Phil? In my moderately limited experience of diamond supported wing masts they only need sufficient rig tension to keep the jib luff to the required tension, because with no spreaders the tension in the shroud does not appear to me to be a factor in keeping the mast straight. I agree you'd need shortish diamonds and thus a hell of a lot of tension in the diamonds, but that's internal to the mast as it were, so is it a problem? Am I misssing something fundamental here: obviously you're a lot nearer the NS's than I am.

I've always been a fan of wing masts, but I find myself getting more and more agnostic about them as the years go on: I'm becoing more and more convinced that gust response is a more important factor than aerodynamic in mast performance, and I'm sure I've seen, although I can't remember where, some work that suggested that CFD analysis of flow round pole masts suggested that they are much better - or at least "less worse" than older theory had us believe.

I just wish it were easier to add and remove material from carbon masts with my limited facilities - I do far less development work on mast tuning than I should do. There are a bunch of changes I should be making to my current stick, but I don't seem to be able to muster the enthusiasm and the time off the water.

Jim,

An NS is 1.8m wide, its chainplates are 900mm+ from the mast. The diamond struts are about 300mm because any bigger they catch on the jib leach or leeward shoud. The righting moment comes from two small people hiking at maybe 1m from the CL.

The IC is 750 wide so the chainplates are no more than 400 from the mast. so the diamond struts would need to be only 120 long to clear the leeward shroud. because the centre of the mast sags to leeward). The RM comes from a bigger person at 2m.

So for the IC the RM is slightly bigger, the shoud tension is about 2.5 times the NS, and the diamond tension would also be more than doubled. So the compression loads on the mast from the diamonds and shouds is more than double the NS. I have seen NS masts fail under compression on square runs when the bow digs in so my guess is that they are close to being optimum for NS loads, and consequently a std NS mast is probably well under capacity for IC loads.

To develop a new section specifically for IC purposes would be an option but not one I have the time and money for.

Gust response:

Issac Newton says it does not exist.

The wind loads only act against the righting moment provided in dinghies by the crew weight (and form stability if the boat heals but that is slow and not good sailing practice. Also for narrow boats like ICs there is almost now form stbility gain when the boat heals)

Increase in wind can only heal the boat or if the crew react properly by easing sails or feathering, the gust can accellerate the boat or make it sail higher. The mast can not bend any more unless there are some other forces applied like increased cunningham or increased vang tension.

Ironically gust response would make newtonian sence in keel boats where the RM increases as the boat heals, but no one uses flexible masts because they have a tendency to fail in extreme conditions.

So the compression loads on the mast from the diamonds and shouds is more than double the NS. I have seen NS masts fail under compression on square runs when the bow digs in so my guess is that they are close to being optimum for NS loads, and consequently a std NS mast is probably well under capacity for IC loads.

Ah, I understand: you mean compression loads within the spar, whereas I was thinking about compression loads from the spar into the boat. Agreed then... I also agree that an unaltered NS section is very unlikely to be satisfactory. Obtaining and tuning the right sections is what has dissuaded me from playing seriously with wing masts in the last 20 years.

Issac Newton says it does not exist.

The way I think it works, and this could very easily be *******s (wouldn't be the first time) is in terms of acceleration. A gust hits the rig, and as the boat attempts to heel its attempting to accelerate that (in my case big) lump upwards. By contrast the very much lighter mast can bend - accelerate- more quickly so can take some of the sting out of the gust. Similarly (but perhaps less dramatically) in a lull my guess is the mast can snap back faster than gravity can dump the helm in the water. My guess is that should give the helm ust a little more time to adjust to the new balance. But everyone, feel free to pick holes in this (probably naive) theorising:-)

When our new puppy is not trying to eat my hand, he is eyeing my ply models. He has partaken of some the cardboard ones. But he is a climber. And I have to also remember that for a puppy, chew toy also = cello.

Paul

Not to stray (pardon the pun) too far from the thread, but what flavors of puppy are we talking about here? When I was a kid, my German Shepherd ate about 40 vinyl LPs, my favorite sunglasses, and a sofa. But I am thinking about getting another Shepherd anyway.

I still have a reasonably bulletproof AD carbon over balsa Nethercott that has been sailed precisely twice if anyone wants a practice boat. OTOH I am about to tear the Moth apart again, so perhaps it is time to de-mothball Das Clockwerk and go for a sail as a sort of Canoe Year's resolution.

Karl

Paul

Not to stray (pardon the pun) too far from the thread, but what flavors of puppy are we talking about here? When I was a kid, my German Shepherd ate about 40 vinyl LPs, my favorite sunglasses, and a sofa. But I am thinking about getting another Shepherd anyway.

I still have a reasonably bulletproof AD carbon over balsa Nethercott that has been sailed precisely twice if anyone wants a practice boat. OTOH I am about to tear the Moth apart again, so perhaps it is time to de-mothball Das Clockwerk and go for a sail as a sort of Canoe Year's resolution.

Karl

I read, I reply, therefore I stray.

A West Highland White Terrier, by the moniker of of Barclay Kirk of Edradour, great grand nephew of our much lamented West Highland White Terrier Malcolm Kirk of MacLaren (if you're thinking manager of the Sex Pistols, you, Sir, are correct.)

I only drink West Highland Single Malts as a result. Hopefully the Edradour part of the name was clue. The previous Westie ate a chair, and a stool.

So far the resident Westie destroys paper products. Which kind of proves that God has a sense of humor, since my wife works for a subsidiary of Weyerhauser, and they are no longer in the paper business.

Arf arf.

And yours, Phil?

I must now go back to my wife's favorite Christmas movie, Die hard 1.

Well, it is a Christmas movie.

Paul

Kinda makes my "dog ate my homework" outdated, doesn't it...

:lol:

How many degrees should a gybing daggerboard flop? I ask because next on the list is cobbling up a mold for the daggerboard case.

How many degrees should a gybing daggerboard flop? I ask because next on the list is cobbling up a mold for the daggerboard case.

Mine is 3 degrees based entirely on a guess of what is the typical leeway angle. I think the I14's had about 4 degrees back when gybers were all the rage. It can make a pretty big hole in the hull that must negate some of the benefit.

One suggestion is that you concoct a quick, easy way to lock it off or the weather mark bear away can be way more wild than it needs to be.

A little rhinoplasty over xmas new years break :) no reason other than its what I alwasy had in mind when building. I was shouted down during the build, appearntly I was tired and grumpy and no one thought I knew what I was doing at 1am in the morning. They agree now that I did know what I was doing after all and so its looks like its not half done as it did before. Just have to add top coat once I finish tidying up the rest of the hull the whole boat will get a new paint job, she is getting close to being finished to what Ive had in my head all along.

post-21278-1262738174_thumb.jpg

A little rhinoplasty over xmas new years break :) no reason other than its what I alwasy had in mind when building. I was shouted down during the build, appearntly I was tired and grumpy and no one thought I knew what I was doing at 1am in the morning. They agree now that I did know what I was doing after all and so its looks like its not half done as it did before. Just have to add top coat once I finish tidying up the rest of the hull the whole boat will get a new paint job, she is getting close to being finished to what Ive had in my head all along.

Pretty canoe! And nice Moth back there holding the wall up...funny, my Moth is the one that gets modified, while my canoe holds the garden wall up. Maybe it's because we're in opposite hemispheres?

Karl

Pretty canoe! And nice Moth back there holding the wall up...funny, my Moth is the one that gets modified, while my canoe holds the garden wall up. Maybe it's because we're in opposite hemispheres?

Karl

Maybe its the Northern/Sourthern Hemisphere thing I have a new canoe and old Moth your upside down on that lol, shes old Moth "On the Prowl" actually good fun but Canoes are too deep in teh blood for me to stray away from for to long there is something about the canoe once hooked its really hard to sail anything else.

H,

Nice nose job! Do you have any photos that show off the underwater shape of the hull?

I hope that you are not waisting prime sailing season with boat mods.

Regards from the frozen North!

John K.

John K.

And I thought you lived in the sunny south! I guess that makes Ottawa an arctic wasteland. You can walk our racecourse now.

--

Bill

H,

Nice nose job! Do you have any photos that show off the underwater shape of the hull?

I hope that you are not waisting prime sailing season with boat mods.

John K.

No time wasted :), the cut and shut was done in a couple of days during the week after work and there was stuff all wind forecast. I dont have any photos that show the underwater shape something I should get around to one day. Although there are no real surprises on that front given where I started mostly from aka String Theory ;)

hmm, there's some other super doggy looking kind of IC out there. just checked out a midwinters event. not our kind of boat

oh dear. sorry, I know this ain't too tech...

what's going on in Oz? England? USA ? Germany? what are those Maas boats doing there?

in Oz, I envision hot sun, good wind and lots of regatta's.

how's the New bow ICu2?

it is still -10 here and fondling the odd bit of carbon is all that can be done.

I know time in the boat is the ultimate speed deal, but I'm in the wrong part of the world!

I'm pretty excited about our next big event , which is the North Americans in Richmond, on The Bay next June!

let's go Brothers!

ps. anybody got a spare high modulus vanDusen mast for sale?

what's going on in Oz? England? USA ? Germany? what are those Maas boats doing there?

how's the New bow ICu2?

it is still -10 here and fondling the odd bit of carbon is all that can be done.

I know time in the boat is the ultimate speed deal, but I'm in the wrong part of the world!

I'm pretty excited about our next big event , which is the North Americans in Richmond, on The Bay next June!

let's go Brothers!

Sure.It is a bit pricey but it comes with a free IC.

how's the New bow ICu2?

let's go Brothers!

In OZ:

ICU2 and a few of the eastern states guys are doing a Regatta in Victoria this weekend, I think they have 2-3 IC's and the same again in Nethercotts. I think Jethro will have his Una Rig IC at the regatta so we should get some info on that. I just couldn't get the time off to head over, but I'll be out on the water tomorrow (so there'll be 2 flatpack IC's floating off west beach). National Championships are in March so we're looking forward to that.

On masts, check out the ones at C-tech, my last 2 masts have been C-techs, and AUS32 (Petes Flatpack) has a HM mast from them.

As for the bow makes no difference to speed at least none I can tell, but it looks the business :).

The regatta at Yarrawonga VIC/NSW (club in vic 90%+ of lake in NSW) had 4 IC turn up, with a huge difference between the fron of the fleet and the back mostly due to nearly 20 years more experience in sailing canoes to the other 3, sort of make a bit of difference having punted an IC around for as long as I have...

The wind was up few gusts pushing 30 knots at times, water was flat as it usually is at Yarra, also gusty conditions but still very sailable at least (if you have the time in an IC that is). Two of the IC's said to much for me and watched the other two have some fun, in a mixed fleet regatta with out start having boats from flyin ants, Tasar, Finns, 125, lasers, Sabres and Canoes + some others I think so the speed difference was huge at the start when blowing 18knots or so.

I has some awesome rides between races really hooking in carraige a long way back at the end of the seat just going for it, almost cartwheeled dug the boat in just past the shrouds thought I was gone but the bow came back out and I kept going, WOW.... :)

First race I was catching all the cats passed most of them they started 3 minutes in front, would have caught them all I think if it wasnt for that pesky rudder system of mine, need to go to verision XXX??? its strong enought now the system just doesnt function and keeps poping up when Im at the end of the seat and need to be able to steer, lots of fun and made tacking even busier, add going back and stuffing around with the rudder to a long list of things to do while tacking a canoe with no steering..... yeah fun....

Second raced ended my weekend I was T-boned by a knob who didn't give me boy room gybe about a boat lenght away from and cleaned me, I heard his battens pop as I was trying to gybe know what was about to happened yelled in the vain hope he might be able to do who knows what to avoid a collision but that just wasnt going to happen. His first bow cleaned up mine spun me around and capsized my then his second bow cleaned up my centreboard. I have damage along my bow a chunk out of the trailing edge of centreboard and the impact of the second bow (yes you now know it was a catamaran) was enough it had delaminated the carbon from the core for the majority of the tapered section of the tip (have to inspect further tomorrow) I have a heap of water in the hull from an unknown leak that wasn't there before this shit happened.

Was having a great sail until this happend, back home to start repairs tomorrow so I can sail next weekend arrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It was tough sailing at times a few gusts really tested the fleet out but it was allot of fun, bruises, chunks out of me, can hardly move, this hurts that hurts but wouldnt have it any other way, nothing like coming home sore as all fuck after a great sail :) pity its a day early and I have repairs to do.........

We should have some photos in the near future...

Yow! the feared worst case scenario of mixed fleet racing! very sorry to hear that, and all of us can feel the pain of a happy, fresh boat brought down by external forces.

sounds like the DB must have chomped into the hull.

you do remarkably well to not lose your rag about it all. I could learn from that.

I'll see if I can figure out how to attach a foto of my Maas rudder setup. seems to work very well.

here's the attempt at fotos...

post-25613-1264266190_thumb.jpg transom and cassette

post-25613-1264266213_thumb.jpg cassette with new teflon bushings

post-25613-1264266157_thumb.jpg rudder up, tiller unlatched

the fit of the bushings must be very snug. the cassette to hull fit must also be very snug, and hull made as stiff as possible. sorry, I don't have any fotos of the folding tiller. with such a short cassette and thin hull, any slop becomes huge on the water.

Chris did an amazing job of making this work. it is his first version!

my only wish is that we could pivot the rudder from the leading edge, as there is not enough feel like this. that was the waking thought of the day. next thought was "it is snowing! wonder if it is a day for surfing powder?"

cheers, K

here's a foto Chris took during the build. he also made a lock ring that slides over the tiller/rudderhead, as the tiller tended to lift while yachting. the cassette lock down piece is not on yet in this shot.

Chris is mighty prolific in the good ideas into great components realm!

post-25613-1264268491_thumb.jpg

Yow! the feared worst case scenario of mixed fleet racing! very sorry to hear that, and all of us can feel the pain of a happy, fresh boat brought down by external forces.

you do remarkably well to not lose your rag about it all. I could learn from that.

I'll see if I can figure out how to attach a foto of my Maas rudder setup. seems to work very well.

There was some red mist in my eyes for a bit, he copped a spray after he tried to give me one. I wasn't a happy camper out on the water thats for sure. Im very glad he hit right on the corner of the sheer line if it was down lower on the flat panel then I would have been holes without doubt.

Great new is Ive pulled the c-board cassett out late last night and inspected the case it 100% in tact, my though is all the impact at the centreboard was adsorbed by the centre board its self, after having a good look at it last night the repairs to it are not a huge drama just a pain in the arse having to do them because it could so have been avoided. We were in different division he was well down the pack in his with no other boat even close to him in either direction why get involved in this sort of shit with a boat you have nothing to gain or loose against?.... some people arrrrh.

Now to find out where the bloody water came in.......

Ive done a similar concept to Chris's, not as neat as his and I havent spent the time at it either must spend more time to make something that looks and works as good well work as good not sure I can make it to look as good ;). My locking mechanism is now what lets mine down it spins to easily when the rudded is unloaded the lock spins around and up pops the rudder. My first few versions where to cute and not strong enough, I now have a strong enough system but not a functional one its close if I rethink the lock and make it work then an look good then Im happy camper... and have less to do through a tack.

There was some red mist in my eyes for a bit, he copped a spray after he tried to give me one. I wasn't a happy camper out on the water thats for sure. Im very glad he hit right on the corner of the sheer line if it was down lower on the flat panel then I would have been holes without doubt.

Great new is Ive pulled the c-board cassett out late last night and inspected the case it 100% in tact, my though is all the impact at the centreboard was adsorbed by the centre board its self, after having a good look at it last night the repairs to it are not a huge drama just a pain in the arse having to do them because it could so have been avoided. We were in different division he was well down the pack in his with no other boat even close to him in either direction why get involved in this sort of shit with a boat you have nothing to gain or loose against?.... some people arrrrh.

Ive done a similar concept to Chris's, not as neat as his and I havent spent the time at it either must spend more time to make something that looks and works as good well work as good not sure I can make it to look as good ;) . My locking mechanism is now what lets mine down it spins to easily when the rudded is unloaded the lock spins around and up pops the rudder. My first few versions where to cute and not strong enough, I now have a strong enough system but not a functional one its close if I rethink the lock and make it work then an look good then Im happy camper... and have less to do through a tack.

that latch holding mine down depends on those nylon machine screws (top foto) being adjustable, but not coming lose.

trick there was to use a standard tap in the carbon. it leaves tapered, threaded holes, so the screws self jam at a certain height. if you start with 'em too long, and cut 'em down a bit at a time, you can get the latch holding the cassette with a reasonable amount of tension. then it stays in place pretty good.

I used a vacuum hooked up backwards to pressure check a hull with dish soapy water, and damn near blew it up. pretty much have to have someone just blowing the wrong end of the vacuum ( with hose) just inside a small inspection cover, with lots of room for air to escape.

cheers, K

Ive done a similar concept to Chris's, not as neat as his and I havent spent the time at it either must spend more time to make something that looks and works as good well work as good not sure I can make it to look as good ;) . My locking mechanism is now what lets mine down it spins to easily when the rudded is unloaded the lock spins around and up pops the rudder. My first few versions where to cute and not strong enough, I now have a strong enough system but not a functional one its close if I rethink the lock and make it work then an look good then Im happy camper... and have less to do through a tack.

that latch holding mine down depends on those nylon machine screws (top foto) being adjustable, but not coming lose.

trick there was to use a standard tap in the carbon. it leaves tapered, threaded holes, so the screws self jam at a certain height. if you start with 'em too long, and cut 'em down a bit at a time, you can get the latch holding the cassette with a reasonable amount of tension. then it stays in place pretty good.

I used a vacuum hooked up backwards to pressure check a hull with dish soapy water, and damn near blew it up. pretty much have to have someone just blowing the wrong end of the vacuum ( with hose) just inside a small inspection cover, with lots of room for air to escape.

cheers, K

Its very easy to put too much pressure into a hull, Ive got some good pressure regulators I can wind the pressure right down and hook air my air compressor thats a job for this arvo.

Hmm now to have another think about this pesky rudder lock thingy it wont beat me oh no I will win eventually.....

Hi all, live from Yarrawonga (I think that's how it's spelt)

Well, you didn't miss much today. First and only race started at around 10am in maybe 5 knots. I had a reasonable start and went off the line with good height and nice speed and proceeded to sail quite deeply into the wrong side of the course. I saw the error of my ways and bailed out in time to reach the top mark amongst the Finns and OK dinghies and with Frank (AUS12) a couple of lengths behind. Down the first reach I got hooked in with the Finns and couldn't break out from their cover (my second mistake). By this time Frank had drawn along side and I was getting frustrated. This is when I began my most brilliant and costly mistake (number three for those counting). I did a quick tiller wiggle to slow the boat and let the Finns go before cranking up onto a broad reach to use a small increase to power away from the competition. Well, that was how it was suppposed to work. In the end all I did was sail a long way slightly faster and there was no recovery as the wind eased again and I was stranded out inj the middle of the lake. Frank was able to hold his advantage of about 100m for the rest of the race and I only just managed to beat the Finns (wipped on Portsmouth though).

I thought I had it figured out where I went wrong and was keen for another go but the breeze totally crapped out and after waiting on the water for about an hour I came ashore. The last race was abondonned about half an hour later.

I guess that's about all. I'm driving the 8 hours home tomorrow and during the drive I'll try and organise my thoughts on the una rig so far. In my mind it shown moments of brilliance and other times of unbelievable hardship.

the remainder of the spine, goes from the centreboard trunk aftward, it will be split the long way and the two parts joined:

post-32376-1264363501_thumb.jpg

the remainder of the spine, goes from the centreboard trunk aftward, it will be split the long way and the two parts joined:

post-32376-1264363501_thumb.jpg

nice work! what hull design are you building?

nice work! what hull design are you building?

It's my own design. I might call it Crapshoot.

El Crap,

I think that you could call it "Excel" or "Excelerate!"

(Inside Joke)

Keep the propaganda flowing. I can't wait to see it at Wickford!

There, You have a deadline!

Regards

JK

well, I have this notion that our sharp, plumb bowed boats look like some kind of raptor, umm, truffle hunting through the water...

oh dear that doesn't sound right...

well anyway, how about Craptor ?

no deadlines from me! I know too well that terrible anxiety.

Good news IC sailors! Erich Chase and Steve Gay, both SF Bay sailors will be stepping over to new rules IC's.

Most of you remember Erich as one of the past best IC'ers in the world.

Steve has some hard earned IC experience sailing his old Nethercott. As a fighter pilot he'll have no trouble getting up to speed in the quicker boat.

This is starting to make the West Coast US IC fleet look like a pretty serious force.

We'll be waiting for you on SF Bay when the NA's roll around in June.

Good news IC sailors! Erich Chase and Steve Gay, both SF Bay sailors will be stepping over to new rules IC's.

Steve has some hard earned IC experience sailing his old Nethercott. As a fighter pilot he'll have no trouble getting up to speed in the quicker boat.

This is starting to make the West Coast US IC fleet look like a pretty serious force.

Sounds like the US are getting serious to win back the New York Cup... I better learn how to sail again and keep things pionted in the the right direction i.e. mast in air :P . Great news to hear Erich is coming back to the class this will make the next Worlds even more interesting thats for sure.

Sounds like the US are getting serious to win back the New York Cup... I better learn how to sail again and keep things pionted in the the right direction i.e. mast in air :P . Great news to hear Erich is coming back to the class this will make the next Worlds even more interesting thats for sure.

Chris,

Does this mean that the shop on Rock Island has received a few orders in 2010? Having Erich come back is great news! Erich drives an IC harder than anyone I know (with one possible exception...), and is not afraid of the consequences. Build it strong!

Regards

John

Chris,

Does this mean that the shop on Rock Island has received a few orders in 2010? Having Erich come back is great news! Erich drives an IC harder than anyone I know (with one possible exception...), and is not afraid of the consequences. Build it strong!

Regards

John

Well a couple of orders anyway.

And I meant to say West Coast US and CANADIAN IC fleet!

Chris,

Regards

John

Well a couple of orders anyway.

And I meant to say West Coast US and CANADIAN IC fleet!

I think a lot of us on the west side of things would prefer to have a more vertical international border!

somehow we must help our Wizard to complete his new boat!

there could be as many as three Canadian boats at Richmond, one being a Nethercott.

with Chris and Erich building a boat, it will surely be hella strong!

I've been busy with school so I've been putting this off,

It is time for me to get cracking on the next issue of the North American International Canoesletter. This is going to be a very big issue. Included will be regatta reports from every summer 09 event, a complete summer 2010 racing schedule, and I would also like to get some write ups about the various projects people are doing this winter. Anyone who would like to contribute please PM me and I will give you my contact information. Also if you don't want to submit an article but you have canoe related news I am always looking for more rumors for the gossip section.

I've been quiet on the forum lately but I'm psyched to hear about all the activity in the class despite it being below zero where I'm at.

best,

Willy

PS Something has clearly gone horribly wrong the US class website. I will talk to Tommy and find out what she knows.

The annual UK Dinghy Show is happening on the 6/7 March and we are hoping amongst other things to put together a “slideshow” to represent what’s currently happening in IC land.

So here’s a question to all you New Rules IC builders and home alchemists around the world. Would you be ok with me “harvesting” some of your images and comments from here at SA and from your various blogs to add to what we’ve already got?

IF you would rather not have your pride and joy featured please PM me and I’ll comply, so no worries!

It might also be interesting to everyone if you had the time to give us all a small indication of the actual build time and special or novel features or build techniques of your creations.

Thanks to you all in advance.

(Still too cold here to get the epoxy out – so have got to do somethin’ to keep me occupied!)

Ian McP

GBR 253

The annual UK Dinghy Show is happening on the 6/7 March and we are hoping amongst other things to put together a “slideshow” to represent what’s currently happening in IC land.

So here’s a question to all you New Rules IC builders and home alchemists around the world. Would you be ok with me “harvesting” some of your images and comments from here at SA and from your various blogs to add to what we’ve already got?

IF you would rather not have your pride and joy featured please PM me and I’ll comply, so no worries!

It might also be interesting to everyone if you had the time to give us all a small indication of the actual build time and special or novel features or build techniques of your creations.

(Still too cold here to get the epoxy out – so have got to do somethin’ to keep me occupied!)

Ian McP

GBR 253

Sure Ian. You're welcome to use anything of mine you can find.

The annual UK Dinghy Show is happening on the 6/7 March and we are hoping amongst other things to put together a "slideshow" to represent what's currently happening in IC land.

So here's a question to all you New Rules IC builders and home alchemists around the world. Would you be ok with me "harvesting" some of your images and comments from here at SA and from your various blogs to add to what we've already got?

IF you would rather not have your pride and joy featured please PM me and I'll comply, so no worries!

(Still too cold here to get the epoxy out – so have got to do somethin' to keep me occupied!)

Ian McP

GBR 253

Same goes for me also, I put some words together for Willy last year which also found its way into the "sliding seat" you will find more photos in this thread and the IC forum let me know if you would like more photos Im slowing getting a collection of them hopefully some more good on water shots in the future...

The annual UK Dinghy Show is happening on the 6/7 March and we are hoping amongst other things to put together a "slideshow" to represent what's currently happening in IC land.

So here's a question to all you New Rules IC builders and home alchemists around the world. Would you be ok with me "harvesting" some of your images and comments from here at SA and from your various blogs to add to what we've already got?

IF you would rather not have your pride and joy featured please PM me and I'll comply, so no worries!

(Still too cold here to get the epoxy out – so have got to do somethin' to keep me occupied!)

Ian McP

GBR 253

Same goes for me also, I put some words together for Willy last year which also found its way into the "sliding seat" you will find more photos in this thread and the IC forum let me know if you would like more photos Im slowing getting a collection of them hopefully some more good on water shots in the future...

I too sent some words to Willy, and there are some yellow boat fotos on this thread. I could send you more if you like

cheers, Kenny

Thanks everyone, we’ve now got enough for the short presentation we’re planning. I’ll keep collecting images and info as things appear and add it to the collection. It should serve as a good archive.

Best regards,

Ian McP

GBR 253

Thanks everyone, we’ve now got enough for the short presentation we’re planning. I’ll keep collecting images and info as things appear and add it to the collection. It should serve as a good archive.

Best regards,

Ian McP

GBR 253

Forgot to ad that feel free to grab any pictures and info off my blog to help promote IC's.

Cheers

I want to make the pair of carriage rails for a SHC style carriage to slide on. I went to the US IC website to hunt for a layup recipe but the site is down. Can someone provide a layup recipe and the dimensions of the gap that the carriage rails slide in?

Next up is a carriage. I happen to have a copy of the SHC carriage recipe that Karl posted on the US website in 2006. At the end it describes the layup for Oliver's carriage. I could use some help with exactly where each of the line items below are located in the picture.

Are the fore and aft rails the curved pieces that the seat slides through?

Where exactly does the 1/2" foam get stuffed?

What are the little ends?

What weight are the 8 layers of carbon on the side pieces?

What are the arched pieces?

post-32376-1265733930_thumb.jpg

post-32376-1265733969_thumb.jpg

I want to make the pair of carriage rails for a SHC style carriage to slide on. I went to the US IC website to hunt for a layup recipe but the site is down. Can someone provide a layup recipe and the dimensions of the gap that the carriage rails slide in?

Next up is a carriage. I happen to have a copy of the SHC carriage recipe that Karl posted on the US website in 2006. At the end it describes the layup for Oliver's carriage. I could use some help with exactly where each of the line items below are located in the picture.

Are the fore and aft rails the curved pieces that the seat slides through?

Where exactly does the 1/2" foam get stuffed?

What are the little ends?

What weight are the 8 layers of carbon on the side pieces?

What are the arched pieces?

post-32376-1265733930_thumb.jpg

post-32376-1265733969_thumb.jpg

Okay, you're plank should now be all finished with the bull noses wrapped in carbon...

Once that is done you make your carriage rails using the seat as the male mould (from the 'Flatpack' build Guide:

Wrap about 5 layers of newspaper across the bull nose on the plank covering a length of about 1000mm

Tape edges to plank

Cover news print with plastic eg vac bag film and tape down.

Cut the CF to make the runners

Laminate Schedule

1 layer 0/90 cloth 870mm x 90mm

2 layer UD lengthwise ( cut four strips 870mm long x 25mm wide for 2 top and 2 bottom flanges

2 layer 0/90 cloth 870mm x 90mm

2 layer UD lengthwise ( cut four strips 870mm long x 25mm wide for 2 top and 2 bottom flanges

1 layer 0/90 cloth 870mm x 90mm

8 layer UD 60mm wide x 90mm long to lay crosswise at each end

4 layer UD 150mm wide x 90mm long to lay crosswise in the centre

Wet out each piece on a table covered in plastic before placing on bullnose

Place peelply, breather cloth over

Tension peelply as much as possible to reduce wrinkling.

Place bag over plank and seal to plank - not to plastic sheet over the newspaper

Switch on vacuum

Manual force any wrinkles in the bag away from the bullnose

When cured the runners need to be trimmed to the correct length and width.

Length trim with a saw, edge trim with the router.

MECHAR (designer of the flatpack) has a kit for putting the rest of the carriage together; I don't have any further details on the carriage in the picture (or where the foam goes - maybe a backing for a fitting or tie off point for the seat?). One thing I can say is take the time to get everything lined up perfectly, and then check again, as the last thing you want is a seat that doesn't slide easily.

• Like 1

bump this was on the 4th page.

It happens, though should be some valid news coming up next weekend with the AUS Nationals, and then some regattas in the US prior to the UK/European season kicking off.

Current National and World champion Hayden has to be the odds on favourite coming into our Nationals, but the minor placings should see some interesting battles.

What's the current build method of the boats? build a plug and female mold?

Are there common scantlings folks are building too? I'm contemplating a project now that my workshop is complete and a canoe would fit nicely. I've also got some foam/carbon laying around that needs to be put to good use.

Anyone publish any of the recent designs?

OK I have no idea why I am replying to posts from two years ago.

Carry on, nothing to look at here.

What's the website news Tommy? You guys figure anything out?

• Like 1

The US IC Fleet will once again be attending the Sarasota Sailing Squadron One Design Mid Winters this coming March 19th-21st. The roll call looks like:

Steve on Wonk

Will on Kaito

Dave on Alice

Oliver on Uncle Walter

Bill on Lust Puppet

George on Mr. Boat

Hudson on Sock Puppet

Don on PITA

Lee on Prospector

John on Mayhem

The usual suspects will be joined by Don and Lee who are relatively new to the class & Hudson who is taking delivery of Sock Puppet at the event. No form guide, just the anticipation of some great sailing in warm water!

Best

John K.

• Like 1

The US IC Fleet will once again be attending the Sarasota Sailing Squadron One Design Mid Winters this coming March 19th-21st. The roll call looks like:

Steve on Wonk

Will on Kaito

Dave on Alice

Oliver on Uncle Walter

Bill on Lust Puppet

George on Mr. Boat

Hudson on Sock Puppet

Don on PITA

Lee on Prospector

John on Mayhem

The usual suspects will be joined by Don and Lee who are relatively new to the class & Hudson who is taking delivery of Sock Puppet at the event. No form guide, just the anticipation of some great sailing in warm water!

Best

John K.

dang! that sounds good!

my sailing option is iceboating, which is fun, but kind of like snowmobiling more than sailing my IC.

I'll have to do lots of secret training before the NA's just to catch up!

The IC forums and Uk Site seam to be down at the moment. Dont know who is able to bring them back so I thought I would post here.

Chris

IC GBR 238

Nope, still not working for me and I've tried three different PC's and my PDA using different browsers :angry:

Chris H

IC GBR 238

interesting, I got in fine again

• Like 1

Nope, still not working for me and I've tried three different PC's and my PDA using different browsers :angry:

Chris H

IC GBR 238

interesting, I got in fine again

Okay, now it's down - fault is being worked on.

Meantime, the weather in Adelaide for the Australian Championships is looking pretty good (better than the 30 knots and 4m swell shown earlier in the week). It all kicks off as part of the AIR (Adelaide International Regatta) tomorrow.

It's official, AUS32 is almost a canoe. At 56kg and 5205mm (minor issue with putting foam on the wrong side of a line :*) and fixable after the nationals)

Having never held a router, mixed resin or even seen raw carbon until starting work on the second 'Flatpack' I am reasonably happy with the weight especially after I doubled the layup on most of the dancefloor and the apex of the plank. Being 110kg, un-coordinated and a sailing newb I wanted the proverbial ' sturdy water closet '

Thanks to IC_AUS for sharing his shed, putting up with my 'special' form of problem solving and pretty much adopting me into the family.

And Mechar for the design and support, answering countless stupid questions and working with us both to get things right.

To both of you, I really appreciate your help and couldn't have done it without you guys.

To anybody else thinking about a new rules IC.. STOP procrastinating and do it :) . If I can do it, anybody can.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Gentlemen,

The 2010 Edition of the North American International Canoesletter has been mailed out. Anyone who would like a copy that did not receive one feel free to email myself or John Kells and we will send you a copy. It is a very big news letter containing a complete 2009 regatta report and a complete 2010 racing schedule. There are also some interesting words and numbers from Bill Beaver. Thanks to everyone who contributed. Special thanks to John for handling the mailing list and all that.

best,

Willy

It's official, AUS32 is almost a canoe. At 56kg and 5205mm (minor issue with putting foam on the wrong side of a line :*) and fixable after the nationals)

Having never held a router, mixed resin or even seen raw carbon until starting work on the second 'Flatpack' I am reasonably happy with the weight especially after I doubled the layup on most of the dancefloor and the apex of the plank. Being 110kg, un-coordinated and a sailing newb I wanted the proverbial ' sturdy water closet '

Thanks to IC_AUS for sharing his shed, putting up with my 'special' form of problem solving and pretty much adopting me into the family.

And Mechar for the design and support, answering countless stupid questions and working with us both to get things right.

To both of you, I really appreciate your help and couldn't have done it without you guys.

To anybody else thinking about a new rules IC.. STOP procrastinating and do it :) . If I can do it, anybody can.

you got some numbers, costs?

$8-$10K USD

Carbon foam construction with dolly, mast sails.

A plywood boat would be about $2K less

Cost includes process materials that never end up in the boat.

A HUGE amount of fun per Dollar or Euro

Regards

John

Between 12-15AUD depending on what tools you have to start with, and whether you build 2 at once (the Flatpack comes with a CNC cut mould which makes things pretty easy).

I have gone for a dig through the bank statements and it has cost me a little under 18k AUD. That is from basically a bare shed to having;

Professionally built foils, spine and boom,

A 'Steve Clark' plank in kit form and professionally vac bagged carriage components,

Mast, sails, trolley

two full sets of tools,

a vac pump and consumables,

40 ish meters of Uni left over ( bargain price )

A CnC'd male mould just waiting for the next build

Just before we started buying consumables the dollar went through the floor and killed us on resin, carbon and foam.

But so did the Kiwi sheckle so the c-tech bits were a damn good price

5 very educational months from laying down the chines on the mould to it's first float (At the nationals no less)

Would I do it again ? Hell yes, just need to sell this one :)

• Like 1

Any more news from Adelaide?

Quoted from Christian's last message on intcanoe.org forum Posted last night Sat. 21.27 gmt.

"Unofficial results from the Nationals Day 1:

Race 1

Hayden 1

Phil S 2

Christian 3

Race 2

Hayden 1

Phil S 2nd

Geoff C 3

Race 3

Hayden 1

Frank 2

Race 3 saw a very nasty squall rip through the fleet causing a fair amount of damage to boats and saw the fleet spread up and down the coast. All boats and people were accounted for, but several IC's sustained critical damage and we should know the extent of that damage this morning."

Ian McP

IC GBR253

Cheers Wee - I was referring to results from today's action. Last I heard from IC AUS was that Hayden's boat had copped a walloping in the storm, immediately after taking 3 bullets for the day. Really bad news and more than enough to bring a tear to the eye as his boat is a work of art.

This, however, potentially leaves the door open for an upset victory from left field which is why I'm curious as to how things have gone today!

Cheers Wee - I was referring to results from today's action. Last I heard from IC AUS was that Hayden's boat had copped a walloping in the storm, immediately after taking 3 bullets for the day. Really bad news and more than enough to bring a tear to the eye as his boat is a work of art.

This, however, potentially leaves the door open for an upset victory from left field which is why I'm curious as to how things have gone today!

Sailing Abandoned for all classes on day 3!

The new national Champion is Phil Stevenson, 2nd (and first Nethercott) is Frank Raisin, 3rd was Hayden Virtue. Geoff C won the Handicap.

Greg has purchased Josie from Alex and will join the SA fleet.

2011 Nationals are tentatively (meaning I haven't contacted the club yet) booked for McCrae at Easter - start thinking about accommodation.

From the IC Forum

AUS30 is damaged beyond economical repair, she got spanked hard on the rocks when a massive squall hit (much larger than the 25 knots SeaBreeze said hit). But a big Congrats to Phil on winning the IC Championships, really well deserved given you were the first Aussie to build a new rules boat and have provided great support to the fleet. I'll try and get the Worlds back to the Southern hemisphere as soon as possible so we can lure you back from Moths.

Sailing Abandoned for all classes on day 3!

The new national Champion is Phil Stevenson, 2nd (and first Nethercott) is Frank Raisin, 3rd was Hayden Virtue. Geoff C won the Handicap.

Greg has purchased Josie from Alex and will join the SA fleet.

2011 Nationals are tentatively (meaning I haven't contacted the club yet) booked for McCrae at Easter - start thinking about accommodation.

From the IC Forum

AUS30 is damaged beyond economical repair, she got spanked hard on the rocks when a massive squall hit (much larger than the 25 knots SeaBreeze said hit). But a big Congrats to Phil on winning the IC Championships, really well deserved given you were the first Aussie to build a new rules boat and have provided great support to the fleet. I'll try and get the Worlds back to the Southern hemisphere as soon as possible so we can lure you back from Moths.

Major damage to AUS30

Jib is still wedged into the rocks on the break water

Main is torn beyond repair all battens destroyed or lost completely

Mast is broken and has major damage along the full length of the tube

Sail track is toast

forestay missing (with the jib I assume)

one shroud missing was broken

plank has damage but needs inspection when I get the courage to have a look at it

Hull has major damage all long the starboard side of the hull and some damage to the port side near the stern

Carriage has cracks that werent there before the incident happend

Tiller extension was bent all over the place

Boom needs close inspection as I suspect its ready to blow apart

Some of the control lines are lost in the process

Cracks to parts of the dance floor

Cleat brackets are cracked

I guess the list goes on.... time for a major inspection and fill out some paper work.... and plan the new build

Whats been saved

I think the centre board is ok

The rudder is ok

some of the control lines are ok

Main and Jib sheets are good

I would say the majority of the cleats and blocks screwed to the hull are still ok but will need inspection

I have cuts and bruises all over my arms and legs, more bruises coming out by the hour but otherwise Im fine, Im positive had I not been wearing my life jacket I would have very sore if not cracked ribs from the battering......

A huge thanks to Kyle who swam his arse off to help not just me but others also in trouble at the same time, Thanks also ICAUS and Phil Stevo for coming out to help get the carnage free from the rocks and back to the shore in some pretty ordinary conditions...

This could have been avoided by one rib spending a few minutes tops (even seconds) towing me into a position where I could have got to safety without damage.

I now need to have a good look at everything to get the full picture of whats reusable...

• Like 1

H,

That is a bad day. The earlier damage reports were understated.

Good to hear you are OK.

JK

H,

That is a bad day. The earlier damage reports were understated.

Good to hear you are OK.

JK

Thanks, was the worst day sailing in my life..... Im ok it sucks big time looks like I have another project once the insurance crap is sorted I'll get on and start building a new boat asap should be back on the water in the not to distant future.

H.

Really sorry to hear that Hayden. The important thing is you live on to canoe another day. Best of luck with the insurance claim, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next - if AUS30 was anything to go by, AUS 40 will be a real winner.

Really sorry to hear that Hayden. The important thing is you live on to canoe another day. Best of luck with the insurance claim, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next - if AUS30 was anything to go by, AUS 40 will be a real winner.

Cheers we started planning the new boat before we got back to the club house from the break water :), not planning many changes to Miracle Drug just some small bits which are more cosmetic than anything and so hopefully the boat doesnt bite my shins as much as Miracle Drug has done...

H.