stinky

DC Designs

What would you guys think of a community build project?

Rope in the capacities of Sorta and Foilman and I will tune up the Second String ply cuts.

With a few people working on it, it gets a whole lot more pleasant to spend the winter weekends and evenings necessary to get it done.

SHC

Rope in the capacities of Sorta and Foilman and I will tune up the Second String ply cuts.

With a few people working on it, it gets a whole lot more pleasant to spend the winter weekends and evenings necessary to get it done.

SHC

It's on the agenda but after the new moth foilsystem installation. I like the ply thing or a jig to warp some flat panels into; maybe cnc female stations, screw the panels in, and tape together sort of program. Nat is planning something similar for mothing.

SHC

a community build would be sweet. but I am 1000's of miles from community. Chris is closest at 15 hours semi-legal driving + border interrogations, then we be on the left coast. leftists...

life would be better all around with a more communal thing going. we all have our raging talents and lacks in other areas.

I envy you guys being somewhat closer.

great idea!

cheers, and good luck to all with the C class endeavors. hope my countrymen can get their boat fixed in time to be truly competitive!

may the Gods be with Fred and Magnus.

btw, your boys are excellent Cats in my book!

cheers, Kenny

I know that a solid wing rig has been done on an IC before, but it seems that the time is ripe for another go at it. There is even in house knowledge. Any takers?

Well, I have a good platform for it... because it could be made free-standing and "safer", but I think i'll be too busy winging my moth to upscale it to the IC...

Jon you bought the wrong moth. Chainsaw and Karma both have the same mast socket as the Log, because the unstayed rig always had a wing concept as an alternative option.

Adam's moth wing looks reasonable aspect ration because its under size. A full size moth rig within luff limits looks very low AR. The Canoe height limit makes a canoe rig even wider. Just looks wrong.

If it was going to work I think Steve Clark would have done it a long time ago. He was less than encouraging when I discussed a moth wing with him at the McCrae IC WC 2008. Adam may yet prove him wrong, no Steve that could not be right?

Hmmm not really. The moth's not as bad as a mach2 for a wing platform, the stay base and angles should work a little better.

As I said - good platform for it, but winging the moth is a higher priority.

After having finished a perfectly organised Euro Cup with great sailing at good conditions, I want to advert to the next International Canoe World Championship in 2011!

It will be held from July 23rd - 30th 2011 at Travemünde during the Travmünde Week and the sailing venue will be the Neustädter Bucht. Racing will probably be from 24th to 30th. The course, where we will sail will not be very far out. If you check out the course map, you can find course beach and hotel. On one of these we will have our championship. Raceofficer will be the same, who run our last Euro Cup some years ago, who is very professional and knows the canoes.

We will have races for IC/ICOD/AC announced. Numbers will tell...

Area:

Boats will be placed on the beach. For those coming with a trailer, a tractor will pull the trailers onto the beach and back. For those coming with a container, they will be placed on a secured parking area in 5 min walking distance to the beach. On the beach we will have a big tent for measurement and as a meeting point for the canoe sailors.

Here you can find a map with the area:

5 is the beach with the boats

7 is the container space

9 (more likely) or Mövenstein is campingarea

Accomodation:

Camping:

We will have a space either in a small city park (Zippelpark) just ajacent to the parking area or little more far away at Mövenstein/Grünstrand (bike recommended).

You can book your camping lot with your online entry on http://www.travemuender-woche.de. Electricity is availlable with blue ECC Plug or standard German plug.

Guesthouses, Appartements, Hotels:

Please check the following adresses:

Lübeck und Travemünde Marketing GmbH

Holstentorplatz 1

23552 Lübeck

Telephone:

+49 (0) 451 - 889 970 0

FAX:

+49 (0) 451 40 91 99 2

E-Mail:

zimmer@luebeck-tourismus.de

E-Mail:

info@luebeck-tourismus.de

http://www.luebeck-tourismus.de

http://www.travemuende-tourismus.de

Her you can find a list with vacation homes for rent: vacation homes

Keep in mind that there are a lot of other classes and thousands of sailors and visitors coming to Travemünde for that event. So book your accomodation early in advance.

Social program:

there is a big fair surounding the sailing event with lots of booth, bars and stages with live-music, parties in the evenings, a sailors beach club, where photos from the day on the water are presented...

We will have some canoe-intern activities. Details will follow.

More info will follow soon.

Travemünde is a great sailing venue and the event is a very professional run regatta for dinghys, skiffs, cats, sportsboats and big boats. It is one of the biggest regatta series in the world.

You will enjoy your stay at Travemünde!

Feel free to contact me by email for any reason!

Best regards,

Arne

Thanks Arne time to start saving even more as it looks like 2 boats from my house will ge competing next year :)....

Hayden,

Speaking of boats from your house how is AUS40 coming along (I'm assuming you're keeping with the AUS 10-20-30 etc. scheme?)?

I'm not sure that i'll be able to make it sadly - I bought the log with the intent of doing worlds, but there's a very good chance I will be out at sea for the greater majority of next year. So, my ability to take time off and head overseas is going to be somewhat impaired.

I might be interested in doing a charter job if someone's interested and willing to do a deal in order to get it to Germany and back... current national champ boat, absolute rocketship downwind, something a bit different being una-rigged.

Love to say its all happening but.... things have changed a little in my life aka the most amazing girl in my life (who want and demands I keep sailing life had more prioritues then ever before...

However we are moved into the new pad all is great the new shed is almost sorted enough to start AUS40 as you say ;) having sailed in the NA and had an awesome time doing so I cant wait until nezxt year to get back with the rest of the IC extendend family :)... photos to follow soon of the new ride good new is Twist of Fate is extremely likely to be sailed by my step son at the worlds 6'3" 80kg and only 15yoa.... (nicest young man you can meet to boot)...

I needti pull my finger out and get on the water asap....

Hayden,

Speaking of boats from your house how is AUS40 coming along (I'm assuming you're keeping with the AUS 10-20-30 etc. scheme?)?

I'm not sure that i'll be able to make it sadly - I bought the log with the intent of doing worlds, but there's a very good chance I will be out at sea for the greater majority of next year. So, my ability to take time off and head overseas is going to be somewhat impaired.

I might be interested in doing a charter job if someone's interested and willing to do a deal in order to get it to Germany and back... current national champ boat, absolute rocketship downwind, something a bit different being una-rigged.

Love to say its all happening but.... things have changed a little in my life aka the most amazing girl in my life (who want and demands I keep sailing life had more prioritues then ever before...

However we are moved into the new pad all is great the new shed is almost sorted enough to start AUS40 as you say ;) having sailed in the NA and had an awesome time doing so I cant wait until nezxt year to get back with the rest of the IC extendend family :)... photos to follow soon of the new ride good new is Twist of Fate is extremely likely to be sailed by my step son at the worlds 6'3" 80kg and only 15yoa.... (nicest young man you can meet to boot)...

Hayden,

hey Cats,

since our boats are so stable and easy to sail compared to a Moth, we must be the ideal candidates for wing experiments. the C-class cats clearly wish they could get rid of that other useless hull, and we are already there! I like the wing idea, but have no desire to sail a boat wider than my car, or sail two boats at once!

cheers, K

Hayden,

hey Cats,

since our boats are so stable and easy to sail compared to a Moth, we must be the ideal candidates for wing experiments. the C-class cats clearly wish they could get rid of that other useless hull, and we are already there! I like the wing idea, but have no desire to sail a boat wider than my car, or sail two boats at once!

cheers, K

I will never put a wing on a canoe. However, I will be in Germany for Worlds this summer.

Currently my foot is broken and in a protective boot. Hopefully be recovered for HPDO on Columbus day.

Best,

Willy

I need to hook myself up with a new ride for Travemunde. Has anyone got any CAD files for a stressed ply boat that they would be willing to share with me?

Chris H

IC GBR 238

I can supply CAD fliles for the "Second String" the boat I built for Roger. Seemed pretty quick.

There is one other that hasn't been built and the possibility of a third.

All can be modified pretty quickly to make them consistent with your ideals.

Your other option is to talk to the man from the Isle of Wight and get a Scarlet O'Hara hull.

Absolutely nothing wrong with those shapes.

Send a PM and I will email you what I have.

SHC

I need to hook myself up with a new ride for Travemunde. Has anyone got any CAD files for a stressed ply boat that they would be willing to share with me?

Chris H

IC GBR 238

Hi Chris,

Steve was kind enough, last year, to let me have the CAD files for “Second String” and the ply seat. For a number of reasons progress has been slow. However I should be able to help steer you around the little stumbling blocks I encountered and hopefully speed your build up a bit..

Alec Jordan (Jordanboats.co.uk) will cut and supply the 3mm flat panels for around £170 Plus carriage. (Seat kit approx £140). Jordan Boats are based up here in Fife but will deliver Nation wide.

Pics of the build can be found here (I’ll need to put some more up as it’s a bit out of date: http://www.flickr.com/photos/phydaux2000/sets/

I’ll PM you with my phone number and email address in case you want to find out more.

post-25613-039866000 1284955189_thumb.jpgpost-25613-003859700 1284955191_thumb.jpgpost-25613-039866000 1284955189_thumb.jpg

Hayden,

hey Cats,

cheers, K

I will never put a wing on a canoe. However, I will be in Germany for Worlds this summer.

Currently my foot is broken and in a protective boot. Hopefully be recovered for HPDO on Columbus day.

Best,

Willy

hey Willy,

off topic here, but the trailer is semi finished. windows and screened door for camping to come

post-25613-040751600 1284955187_thumb.jpg

post-25613-002160400 1284955193_thumb.jpg

post-25613-082917500 1284955194_thumb.jpg

Wow Ken, nice trailer. I would copy that myself, but sadly I don't think it's able to do an enclosed trailer for both a moth and a canoe :S Maybe what I've got to do is an enclosure for the canoe and have it strong enough so the moth can be "roof racked" on top...

post-16686-062196900 1285013393_thumb.jpgpost-16686-069948000 1285013370_thumb.jpg

Wow Ken, nice trailer. I would copy that myself, but sadly I don't think it's able to do an enclosed trailer for both a moth and a canoe :S Maybe what I've got to do is an enclosure for the canoe and have it strong enough so the moth can be "roof racked" on top...

This is Kenny's dream trailer/rolling home pre tailcone and paint. You could easily fit some Moths on top.

yes, that's exactly what this rig is. solo, I travel this way.

a second Canoe, or other vessel goes up top on removable steel racks (off for the fotos)

both boats' masts, seats, sails, dolly wheels, etc. travel inside the box.

the upper boat's dolly axle on the steel frame near the aft end of the main box, the fwd end of the dolly on a support at the fwd end of the trailer

perfect rig for hauling a Moth as well!

this was built as light as I could, being about 1/2 out of doorskin, and as aero as possible.

the dear old Volvo feels less draggy when towing this than by itself.

thanks to Chris Maas for technical advice and help!

cheers, Kenny

Ken, my problem is a lack of length of my pre-existing trailer. It started life as a moth trailer (or possibly an NS14 trailer... Phil?) and then wound up carrying the Log as it's main passenger for a couple of years. However I've got a moth too, and when it's just carrying the moth it's doing a bit of a number, scratching through to carbon in some places (eep... not good for a $15k+ moth!). So, my thoughts are as per the attached rendering... any thoughts?

post-7689-006998800 1285047649_thumb.jpg

Jon,

That trailer was a copy of my previous NS14 trailer, it carried various loads over many years, NS, 2 sabots, two moths, two moths plus an F11 sydney to melbourne, three moths to Milang nationals and even a Laser at times before the IC. It took both IC and moth to Mannering Park regatta one Easter.

I have a recatangular frame and gear to support your moth above the IC if you want to come and pick it up. You could build your box around it if you choose.

Phil S

I may well do that Phil... I'll check my schedule and see if I can spare a weekend to head to sydney and back. Thanks, that'd save me a lot of messing around... although I've already gone and bought the steel for the box frame!

Definate thumbs up on the trailer Ken! It almost exactly matches the ideal canoe trailer I have designed in my head! The next step on I've always thought would be to rock up at an event with a converted horse lorry complete with dropping tailgate/launching ramp and a workshop inside . . .

How many of you guys are thinking of coming to the worlds next year? There's a fair few already planning to come from the UK, including many IC's.

Speedy :ph34r:

GBR 264

Definate thumbs up on the trailer Ken! It almost exactly matches the ideal canoe trailer I have designed in my head! The next step on I've always thought would be to rock up at an event with a converted horse lorry complete with dropping tailgate/launching ramp and a workshop inside . . .

How many of you guys are thinking of coming to the worlds next year? There's a fair few already planning to come from the UK, including many IC's.

Speedy :ph34r:

GBR 264

hmm, happily some are interested in this IC trailer thing. felt guilty about hijacking the thread...

a big part of this scheme was to minimize fuel consumption, for cost of travel, and reducing the old carbon (spewed out tailpipes) footprint. the horse trailer would be quite the fuel guzzler!

my trailer frame was the typical North American tin boat hauler, with the axle too far aft to balance a sailboat. I shortened the tongue some and built a bolt on rear subframe to extend it. my IC stuck out five feet aft of that. I wanted a light, aero, much as poss monocoque box. the tailcone out of doorskin is there to seal off road crap and weather when waiting for the 12 days of summer.

probably due to building this thing ( and new work commitments), I won't be going to the Worlds this year.

I am considering a move to Southern Ontario or Quebec next year, to be closer to a good sailing scene, and maybe find some real summer.

I dunno guys, I envy your committment and ability to make progress. I got to the sailing club on Sunday to take the boat away and realised I'd forgotten to make the new bow cradle for the road trailer... in the end I took the main cradle off and just lashed the launching trolley on the frame...

On another topic, whilst I'm planning a CM designed boat next year I was mulling over trying out a Maas style wide stern on my 65kg Nethercott as a little winter projectette. Styrofoam and a bit of glass skin without disturbing the main structure I thought would give me an idea of how differently the boat will behave.

I dunno guys, I envy your committment and ability to make progress. I got to the sailing club on Sunday to take the boat away and realised I'd forgotten to make the new bow cradle for the road trailer... in the end I took the main cradle off and just lashed the launching trolley on the frame...

On another topic, whilst I'm planning a CM designed boat next year I was mulling over trying out a Maas style wide stern on my 65kg Nethercott as a little winter projectette. Styrofoam and a bit of glass skin without disturbing the main structure I thought would give me an idea of how differently the boat will behave.

hey Jim, my low tech opinion is that you won't notice a difference. but a boat built to the new minimums ? WOW big difference. the lack of inertia @ 50 kilos is shocking after sailing an old rules boat.

the instant accel/decel is first terrifying, then that's all you want...

the width of the old boat also slows down heeling responses enough that the old boat's stability feels similar to a floating dock after a short sail in the new boat. all the things you ever loved about a Canoe, amped up.

hope I'm not being insulting, certainly not my intention.

cheers, Kenny

oh yes, the commitment could more accurately be termed obsession with an idea, madness , waste of time and money...

too many 1000's of miles dreaming of the ultimate trailer.

Ken your trailer looks like a sailplane trailer. I always thought that would be the slickest way to transport two canoes, not to mention the most fuel efficient.

I've done the over/under moth canoe thing too. In general it is completely useless, unless you want a good way to store boats in your yard, or you are moving a long distance. Otherwise you end up hauling two boats around when you only ever use one. Think about the last time you rigged and sailed two different one man boats in the same day; it's nice if you have a friend that needs a boat, but they have to be able to handle a canoe, or a moth, which isn't really that big a pool of people. As soon as I could I took the upper rack off so I could easily load the Moth on the bare trailer frame. Put the rack on again when I moved again; now the trailer is useless in the side yard with the rack and canoe on it, the moth is on my car, waiting to find somewhere to stash the canoe because it never gets sailed and reclaim the bare trailer frame for the moth.

Anyway this was my version, which is ready for a rebuild, but did survive a flip at 65mph:

post-40347-035053300 1285214419_thumb.jpg

Ken, my problem is a lack of length of my pre-existing trailer. It started life as a moth trailer (or possibly an NS14 trailer... Phil?) and then wound up carrying the Log as it's main passenger for a couple of years. However I've got a moth too, and when it's just carrying the moth it's doing a bit of a number, scratching through to carbon in some places (eep... not good for a $15k+ moth!). So, my thoughts are as per the attached rendering... any thoughts?

hey Jim, my low tech opinion is that you won't notice a difference. but a boat built to the new minimums ? WOW big difference. the lack of inertia @ 50 kilos is shocking after sailing an old rules boat.

the instant accel/decel is first terrifying, then that's all you want...

the width of the old boat also slows down heeling responses enough that the old boat's stability feels similar to a floating dock after a short sail in the new boat. all the things you ever loved about a Canoe, amped up.

hope I'm not being insulting, certainly not my intention.

cheers, Kenny

Not like I'm any expert but that was my impression also after sailing one of Steve's and then John K's boat. Less of what you don't want; more of what you do!

Now, what do I do with the old boats? Take them to Clayton?

Ah, but do you know what am I looking to learn about? Speed through the water is not my primary concern for this exercise. I'm not a world class sailor, hell, I'm not even remotely a National class sailor, middle of the fleet is what I realistically hope to achieve, but the plan is a new hull next year. Now which design should I pick...

One thing that I've learned is that club racing on my shifty small to medium inland venue speed through tacks is a significant factor, and one of the main reasons I come out of tacks slowly is the transom sinking under my fat belly, and another but smaller factor is how quickly I can get settled and sailing fast again out of the tack. In many conditions I hypothesise that significant improvements in these areas are actually going to make a bigger difference to my results than an increment in boat speed. Superficially both of these are likely to be worse with a narrower boat, and now I think about it they seem to have become more of an issue since I took, well, since I bought it I reckon probably at least 25kg off the all up weight, albeit in stages.

Now the main choices for a new boat shape in my mind are the UK designed Morrison, like Scarlet O'Hara and one of CMs shapes, because I think a jig for one of those in the UK would be good for class growth. My personal theories on hull shape etc would make a CM boat faster when there's some breeze, and the Morrison quicker when there isn't. So for my venue maybe the Morrison would be faster in the hands of a first class sailor as it has lower wetted area by my calcs. However its especially rounded and thus probably tippy and has a particularly fine stern, so perhaps not faster with *me* driving.

So at the moment my thinking is one of CM's shapes rather than the Morrison, even though the Morrison might be faster with a better sailor on board. But how do I know? I can imagine that maybe a finer stern immersed more might be less drag than a blunter stern immersed less, rather than the opposite as would seem more logical, and how much stabler will the wider stern be tacking or gybing?

I'm not sure I can really learn about that from just jumping in various boats for quick rides, and I'm not so committed to serious development effort that I want to build a development hull that I can chop and change and make into different shapes. So I was wondering how I could learn a bit about what the differences in handling between the traditional finer stern and the 45 degree "transom" shape CM favours. Gluing some bits on my "Lightercott" seemed an obvious answer as its fundamentally non destructive. When I've finished I can bash off the bits, refair the skin and its a standard Nethercott shape again, and what do you do with it? Well it can become an AC! Admittedly that's not really an option out of the UK though.

hmm, I'd say 'choose carefully' but how does one really accomplish that?

Chris and I have found that our boats, of his design and build, seem to live in a very special realm of combined very low drag.

very good foil shapes, no weed of any sort on bow, DB or rudder, a VERY fast hull shape, minimum weight, very good fore/aft trim, very well shaped low drag/high lift sail shapes (quite flat), sailed dead flat all add up to unbelievable speed for a given windspeed, seemingly most impressive in the middle range of windspeed.

if any of these are off, you're ordinary, or worse, like a laser.

Chris' hull shape seems very fast in our experience, but me possessing one obviously skews my opinion...

there is magic out there! such a leap ahead of the old boats. 'easy for old guys to lift' is another sales feature.

cheers, Kenny

Chris' hull shape seems very fast in our experience, but me possessing one obviously skews my opinion...

Well obviously there's the results, but there's more too it than that. Chris let me have the offsets for String Theory, and when I stuffed them into the boat design program I use it came back with astonishingly low wetted area, and I can't altogether work out why... Morrison's boats have always been exceptional for low wetted area, which is why they work well for low power boats like the RS200 and RS400, but I think I can see where there are compromises in shape which mean they pay a penalty in top end speed. I can look at the Morrison and reckon I at least partially understand why that's low because of the sections, rocker, general lines, but there's something very clever about the String Theory shape which combines what looks to me like much nicer features on planing run, waterlines and so on with low wetted area in a way I just can't get anywhere near when I try and draw a shape myself. I was *very* impressed!

Well obviously there's the results, but there's more too it than that. Chris let me have the offsets for String Theory, and when I stuffed them into the boat design program I use it came back with astonishingly low wetted area, and I can't altogether work out why... Morrison's boats have always been exceptional for low wetted area, which is why they work well for low power boats like the RS200 and RS400, but I think I can see where there are compromises in shape which mean they pay a penalty in top end speed. I can look at the Morrison and reckon I at least partially understand why that's low because of the sections, rocker, general lines, but there's something very clever about the String Theory shape which combines what looks to me like much nicer features on planing run, waterlines and so on with low wetted area in a way I just can't get anywhere near when I try and draw a shape myself. I was *very* impressed!

Sounds like you must have got some of the String Theory numbers wrong! But seriously, as far as tacking in light air goes, Kenny and I did a bunch of light air two boat tuning - I get LOTS of light air sailing here - and found that the larger, fatter daggerboard made quite a difference in how fast you get back up to speed out of a tack.

The ST design low rocker combined with the new low low weight makes it tough to keep the speed up through a tack, especially in chop. My guess is that John Kell's boat, with its higher rocker shape, will get through a tack quicker. Maybe that's true of the Morrison boat as well.

Maybe we should add ballast for those venues that require lots of tacking. It could be like tacking a twelve meter.

In light air with your weight forward those 'transom' corners aren't in the water anyway. But if you want to nudge the Super String design for light air a little more rocker aft and maybe a touch less volume at around the mast area to make it easier to sink the bow might work.

But seriously, as far as tacking in light air goes, Kenny and I did a bunch of light air two boat tuning - I get LOTS of light air sailing here - and found that the larger, fatter daggerboard made quite a difference in how fast you get back up to speed out of a tack.

[snip]

In light air with your weight forward those 'transom' corners aren't in the water anyway. But if you want to nudge the Super String design for light air a little more rocker aft and maybe a touch less volume at around the mast area to make it easier to sink the bow might work.

Mmm... and you remind me I learned some lessons about daggerboards before when I changed section/area as part of the development of my one-off. My Canoe doesn't seem to suffer from the horrible stalled out foil feeling out of tacks I had with the bigger sails on the other boat.

Immersing the bow does feel to me to be something of an issue with the Nethercott: to my mind the convex waterlines which generate all that noise forward of the mast can't be good for all sorts of reasons. When mine was shelled out last year and I lost all the weight I did consider whether I could fine the bow up some, but Rob Michael's shells of that era appear to be have been built to icebreaker specification! I don't believe I've ever come across a shell that was so rigid with no decks or framing in. In the end the gain/pain ration was completely out of balance so I left it alone.

There's not a problem with stern drag in a straight line provided I'm disciplined about keeping the weight at least at the plank, not with both feet behind it. The main problem is tacking, maybe I should rethink my low boom which gives no opportunity of getting under it at all. Have you played about with mast position much Chris? The lighter the better up the front in waves of course, but again it all forces the weight back while tacking. The less far the weight has to move aft during a tack the better it will be, but the steeply angled up booms some boats over here have just don't look right to me from the pov of drag and sail efficiency.

post-60-001505200 1285349731_thumb.jpg

post-25613-039866000 1284955189_thumb.jpgpost-25613-003859700 1284955191_thumb.jpgpost-25613-039866000 1284955189_thumb.jpg

Hayden,

hey Cats,

cheers, K

Best,

Willy

hey Willy,

off topic here, but the trailer is semi finished. windows and screened door for camping to come

Epic Kenny! Looks great!

Ok, I need you guys to shout at me a while to get my build back on track...any takers?

GET THAT BUILD HAPPENING! I DON'T WANT TO SEE IT HALF BUILT IN YOUR SHED FOR THE THIRD YEAR IN A ROW!!!!

Ok, I need you guys to shout at me a while to get my build back on track...any takers?

All you need to do is to suggest something to her ladyship that she needs the space in the shed for... then you'll have all the "encouragement" to get the boat completed you could possibly need and then some more...

I suggest regular posting of photos as the creation takes shape. That way, when it's been a while since a photo was seen, we can all chime in and ask for the reason. :D

I'm just about to start building two ICs - one to the Morrison design ( like Scarlett O'Hara but with a different deck ), and one to a new design by 'Monkeyman' Alistair.

I'm just about to start building two ICs - one to the Morrison design ( like Scarlett O'Hara but with a different deck ), and one to a new design by 'Monkeyman' Alistair.

That is very good news. Please keep us posted.

I hope to bring something a little different to the worlds in Germany (not a wing!). I'm taking it down to San Francisco to sail with Del and Erich in a couple of weeks. We'll see if it works as advertised

All you need to do is to suggest something to her ladyship that she needs the space in the shed for... then you'll have all the "encouragement" to get the boat completed you could possibly need and then some more...

That could be taking it one step too far :o Good idea though!

One thing that I've learned is that club racing on my shifty small to medium inland venue speed through tacks is a significant factor, and one of the main reasons I come out of tacks slowly is the transom sinking under my fat belly, and another but smaller factor is how quickly I can get settled and sailing fast again out of the tack. In many conditions I hypothesise that significant improvements in these areas are actually going to make a bigger difference to my results than an increment in boat speed. Superficially both of these are likely to be worse with a narrower boat, and now I think about it they seem to have become more of an issue since I took, well, since I bought it I reckon probably at least 25kg off the all up weight, albeit in stages.

Something I found interesting when playing with my new gps the other day was that whether I went in to a tack going 4 knots or 10 knots I came out of it going about 2 knots. That wasn't very self esteem building but the surprising thing was in 10 knots of wind it only took about five seconds to get back up to 10 knots boat speed. Now without taxing the brain too much it looks to me like at that rate you are going to lose somewhere around 5 seconds per tack. But everybody has to tack so your relative loss won't be huge compared to the fast tackers. I don't think it's worth it to sacrifice straight line speed to gain tacking speed.

And why the hell isn't ic blast's boat finished yet?

It's about time!

Geez I thought you were going to turn blue waiting for someone else to order a boat.

Around here we are just starting to figure out what to do now that the C Class thing is over.

Unfortunately, I have less functional C Catamaran stuff than I did before working Oliver to death for two years. It will take some doing to recover.

In the mean time it looks like we have to create at least two new boats for next summer. What we do and how we do it is the current question. We have to make up our minds pretty soon.

SHC

But everybody has to tack so your relative loss won't be huge compared to the fast tackers.

Yeah, but they are in RS400s and RS300s and things that don't lose significant time through a tack at all... I agree if I were only concerned with Canoe racing it would be less of an issue. And I'm sailing at an inland venue with generous shifts, so the less I lose tacking then the smaller the shift I need to make it worth tacking on. Its one of the things to my mind in many ways makes the tack on a sixpence boats less tactical - there's no risk to judging a shift wrong if you can just tack back without losing any ground, and there's no great advantage in a finely judged covering tack if the victim can tack twice to clear their air with no loss...

An observation form Hollow Log.

Although I never managed to get it up to pace upwind in a straight line I think it did tack paticularly well. The only time I ever beat Hayden upwind with his new rules boat was a light shifty day on the Hume when we sailed close and tacked many times.

I think the single sail made handling easier and also the pointy stern offers less drag at low speed. The boom was also higher so I did not need to move as far aft as some people do with conventional low IC rigs.

Maybe Jon can find the upwind magic I searched for.

Phil,

in the light stuff, the Log is magic, especially uphill. There's just no drag and the big cat rig with that massive box head works a treat.

Admittedly I'm comparing this to what I've had to sail against... namely sharpies, 5o5s, mosquitos, a b14, a nethercott IC and an i14... so I'm yet to line up against another development IC. I've also left the rig exactly how you had it bar a couple of minor repairs mostly.

Heavy stuff, it's a bit of a struggle uphill and downhill I'm still working hard to plant the gybes... although I am now starting to use moth foiling gybe techniques (ie getting over early when there's no pressure on the rig) with some success. I've also found maybe some small wings to get the carriage back a bit futher might be beneficial because that nice pointy bow does like to pierce the waves and sometimes it thinks it's wonk!

Gotta Run

Jon

It's about time!

Geez I thought you were going to turn blue waiting for someone else to order a boat.

SHC

Some progress ( of a sort :blink: )

The mould has been resting outside for a few years, but is now being cleaned up and put back on stands ready for action.

post-2679-040729300 1287055615_thumb.jpg

Some progress ( of a sort :blink: )

Macavity the Canoe mould?

Now if only I had a pic of winterizing my sprinkler system....

P

So I might use it as part of the vacuum system? :unsure:

And wonder why I'm taking care of the yard instead of evicting my wife's Eos from the right side of the garage for the winter? :o

P

edit- I know, inferred intentions, inferred intentions... :lol:

Paul's lost it...

or found something very good indeed...

No single malt was hurt or abused during the previous posts. Somehow seeing the pic of the 'mold' got me thinking about all the things that get in the way of building a dinghy. On the good side, though, I have figured out a way of getting the space I need in the new garage without evicting a car, and there's a heater in there that actually works! So when the snow is 3' deep outside, I can be inside torturing plywood, in temperatures safe for bonding stuff together, now that we're finally getting moved in over here.

P

Something I found interesting when playing with my new gps the other day was that whether I went in to a tack going 4 knots or 10 knots I came out of it going about 2 knots. That wasn't very self esteem building but the surprising thing was in 10 knots of wind it only took about five seconds to get back up to 10 knots boat speed. Now without taxing the brain too much it looks to me like at that rate you are going to lose somewhere around 5 seconds per tack. But everybody has to tack so your relative loss won't be huge compared to the fast tackers. I don't think it's worth it to sacrifice straight line speed to gain tacking speed.

And why the hell isn't ic blast's boat finished yet?

Alright already. progress pics here now. Centrecase has been molded and next step is to fix her in and we're back on track ;) .

post-18083-060929800 1288742445_thumb.jpg

post-18083-018965300 1288742512_thumb.jpg

Modifications to Kaito's little yellow skin:

post-738-082597400 1289928001_thumb.jpg

post-738-023527200 1289928016_thumb.jpg

Uncle Walter, for comparison.

Level and bar in same f&a position

post-738-007349000 1289928036_thumb.jpg

Also took the little tuck out of the run aft of the rudder.

post-738-070135900 1289928049_thumb.jpg

SHC

Steve, great to see you building boats for next year, we seem to have got off to a bit of a late start here in the UK but I know of 4 new boats being built, all to different designs, will post some photos when I have some. Andy is doing a hull for me to my own design and I any doing the other bits for it. Not sure how much time I will have to practice as building it and putting it all together prob will take most of the time between now and July, but a good start has been made.

The most recent tests 1/4 scale tank tests from Mr Beaver show that the most String Theory like model is quite a bit slipperier than the Mayhem model.

Mayhem StringTheory quarter scale.ppt

As Mayhem and the josie hull form were pretty close at the high end of the speed range were pretty close on the full size tows, I am all a fluster. It seems unlikely that the minor shape changes made to Kaito will result in a big enough step forward, So I am back to thinking about plywood hulls again. I am sacking the memory banks to recall what I learned building GER 78 so these are a bit better.

Dave has an extended Christmas break, so hopefully we can get a big chunk of them done at that time.

In the mean time shoulder recovery is frustrating my atttempts to clear the decks of failed C Class stuff.

SHC

The most recent tests 1/4 scale tank tests from Mr Beaver show that the most String Theory like model is quite a bit slipperier than the Mayhem model.

As Mayhem and the josie hull form were pretty close at the high end of the speed range were pretty close on the full size tows, I am all a fluster. It seems unlikely that the minor shape changes made to Kaito will result in a big enough step forward, So I am back to thinking about plywood hulls again. I am sacking the memory banks to recall what I learned building GER 78 so these are a bit better.

Dave has an extended Christmas break, so hopefully we can get a big chunk of them done at that time.

In the mean time shoulder recovery is frustrating my atttempts to clear the decks of failed C Class stuff.

SHC

Could you reasonably make a female mold from plywood using your GER 78 design and construction method? Maybe pre-finish the flat panels before they are bent into shape?

SHC

Nothing worse than a shoulder injury. Well, outside of cancer. Do your PT. Hope surgery was not involved. But a month without sleep can be illuminating.. ;) Is your sling blue?

That said, how hard is it to climb back on a modern IC after capsize? Like getting out of a pool with 2" lip? 6" lip? Without a ladder of course.

I cannot remember the one design climb specifics.. Age, I suppose.

The reason I ask is the 6" scar wrapping around the top side of my right shoulder, which makes getting out of 6" poolside lip in in one motion to one foot impossible without a bottom to push on. Like competitive swimmers do. It's contractual. :lol:

Kind of argues for a slender stern though.

The design spiral at it's best.

P

Modern shoulder surgery is nothing like a 6" scar.

They punched 4 little holes, pumped saline solution through and did everything with dental tools on the end of sticks.

Outpatient surgery, I was in for about 5 hours and under for 3 of them.

It's pretty nuts, but processes involved grinding bone spurs, cleaning out a bunch of arthritis, and stitching down a torn labrum. PT is a 10 week program, and I hope to be functioning at close top 100% by February....bvut right now typing is about the limit of what I should do with my left arm.

Canoes are pretty easy to mount. The daggerboards are fairly close to the surface, and. thanks to the light rig, the board comes down to you as much as you climb up on it. You should visit Kenny of Chris, try to sail one and make up your own mind before you go much further. Nevertheless there are certainly things that require the function of all the body parts. I sailed a few weeks before my surgery, and wasn't all that happy with my ability to cope with chaos. I didn't feel unsafe, but knew that I might have to use more than a few of the dirty tricks if things got ugly. I have been sailing these things for more than 390 years and do know "a few maneuvers."

In other news, I recall you have an epoxy allergy, perhaps this stuff, made from soybeans and peanuts will not give you a rash.

www.ecopoxysystems.com

I haven't tried the stuff because, even though they are only about 30 miles away, I'm not sensitized and trust the stuff I have been using for 30 years.

SHC

Steve when you tear both a rotator cuff and a greater tuberosity (which is the piece of bone attached into your upper arm bone next to the shoulder that anchors the tendons that hold the muscles that attached to your shoulder blade that raise your arm) and the surgeon has to fish the thing out from said shoulder blade, stretch it back out over your shoulder and then to the bone next to your shoulder, and sew it into the bone with Dacron (tm!), you wind up with a 6" scar.

Having enjoyed the science of the Da Vinci machine in other fun ways, I wish my shoulder had been a situation where it would have worked.

I will check out the ecopoxy. Thanks for remembering I'm allergic to epoxy (I'm amazed,actually), and I really hope your recovery is painless as possible.

P

Modern shoulder surgery is nothing like a 6" scar.

They punched 4 little holes, pumped saline solution through and did everything with dental tools on the end of sticks.

Outpatient surgery, I was in for about 5 hours and under for 3 of them.

It's pretty nuts, but processes involved grinding bone spurs, cleaning out a bunch of arthritis, and stitching down a torn labrum. PT is a 10 week program, and I hope to be functioning at close top 100% by February....bvut right now typing is about the limit of what I should do with my left arm.

Canoes are pretty easy to mount. The daggerboards are fairly close to the surface, and. thanks to the light rig, the board comes down to you as much as you climb up on it. You should visit Kenny of Chris, try to sail one and make up your own mind before you go much further. Nevertheless there are certainly things that require the function of all the body parts. I sailed a few weeks before my surgery, and wasn't all that happy with my ability to cope with chaos. I didn't feel unsafe, but knew that I might have to use more than a few of the dirty tricks if things got ugly. I have been sailing these things for more than 390 years and do know "a few maneuvers."

In other news, I recall you have an epoxy allergy, perhaps this stuff, made from soybeans and peanuts will not give you a rash.

www.ecopoxysystems.com

I haven't tried the stuff because, even though they are only about 30 miles away, I'm not sensitized and trust the stuff I have been using for 30 years.

SHC

where is Amati from?

oh wait, I see, Idaho.

I've been in jail there!

I don't know what next summer may bring, as the coming Worlds is shaping folks' schedules. I won't be going, due to recent expenses and trying to be a more reliable employee.

I may get to the Gorge for a fun trip. that might be close to Idaho?

well, I too have destroyed shoulders, thanks to lawn darting on mountainbikes. not enough speed is the culprit. more speed lets one skip and slide with less injury. speed is your friend!

that is why motorcycles are safer than bicycles. right Hayden?

anyway, our new skinny and much lighter boats are way better for old or damaged guys! as Steve said, when capsized, the daggerboard is very close to the water. no porpoising required. if you cork the top of the mast and minimize holes, the baby lies placidly on her side for a long time, waiting for the athlete to get his or her umm, act together.

just float onto the DB, slight dolphin kick, stand up, grab gunnel, grab seat. as the baby gets to about 45 deg., step to the gunnel, gather up the bits and go yachting!

I have to admit a recurring issue with the stick trailing way aft of the boat, and me up by the shrouds... I put a limiter on the tiller, so the stick does not jam under the rudder blade anymore, which was really quite a drag on a big day.

a really big help for me, in the area of dancing lightly through the boat to get to the stick, has been the Zhik booties! fantastic improvement in agility! a gig at Circe deSoleil is within reach!

I had many more capsizes with the new boat, in the earlier days, to the power of 10, I think, but WAY less injuries! lighter parts, I think. once you get more used to the lack of inertia in the new boat, the capsizes get minimized. my only lasting injury of last season is a still aching butt, from an end of seat death drop onto the very firm carriage. I think Del may be suffering from the same issue!

the new boats seem half the weight when it comes time to lift and load up at the end of the event. another great thing for damaged people!

cheers, Kenny

Thanks Steve and Kenny for responding- I know it's one of those Questions so Obvious, but if the shoulder deal wasn't enough, I'm getting over Knees Hit By Civic, and feeling a bit crispy. But my theory is if Dr. Whitman (hope I got the name right, going by memory here) sailed canoes well until his mid 70's (if class lore can be believed), by God, if I can find a way, I can too. That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it. :lol: So any info helps, as my only experience has been in older canoes and knowing some canoe sailors are helming a bit burnt physically gives me all sorts of wild optimism. I do remember IC's being easier to right than a turtled Finn. But that was with wood masts.

Paul

Kenny- not quite living in the Land of the Wild Potato, just over the border in a mystical place the locals under 22 call Spokanistan. :ph34r: (Or SpoCompton. B) ) I hear jails in Idaho are fearsome places. Were you served Washington potatoes?

sailed canoes well until his mid 70's (if class lore can be believed),

Here in Pomland I think we've got at least one in the 70s and another won the Europeans in his 60s.

Here in Pomland I think we've got at least one in the 70s and another won the Europeans in his 60s.

That is most excellent, and if I may quote one of my neighbors who's in his 80's and just gave up dirt bike biking (with his wife!): "Hot diggidy diggidy dog!"

And he means it when he says it-

Paul

I think there is a Brit in his 60's who sails an IC with a revolving (rotating?) seat too?

That is most excellent, and if I may quote one of my neighbors who's in his 80's and just gave up dirt bike biking (with his wife!): "Hot diggidy diggidy dog!"

Paul

I think there is a Brit in his 60's who sails an IC with a revolving (rotating?) seat too?

yeah, well I'm beginning to think those old guys were natural athletes, who were blessed with the idea that they may just live longer than they expected, and didn't near destroy themselves in their youth.

I've got to go stretch now. Cheers!

Paul

yeah, well I'm beginning to think those old guys were natural athletes, who were blessed with the idea that they may just live longer than they expected, and didn't near destroy themselves in their youth.

I've got to go stretch now. Cheers!

+1

So any more news/info on the Uk boats in build?

On the UK Canoe forum... here's a digest...

Ian McPherson - Bird on a wire/Secondstring derivative plywood kit for stitch and glue build method.

John Ellis - his own design and super skinny according to reports from our spies. According to one source, "if skinny is fast, this boat will be very fast".

Colin Brown - Morrison (Mk1) hull with revised deck layout

Alistair Warren - Dragonfly (Monkey 2) design based on hard chines as before and flatish panels

Steve Clarke - Morrison 2 design with changes to the chines and slightly wider at deck level and a flatish deck.

colinbrown

My Morrison is taking shape slowly. Mainly held up by the very cold weather for the last 4 weeks. This is uncommon for even us northerners. Most nights to -10 and days not reaching Zero. Epoxy a little stiff in the pot ! Will introduce some heaters after Xmas if the weather remains cold. However all materials now on order or delivered and most " bit" in kit form awaiting some glue.

Looking at the comments above my spy actually said of Johns new IC " if thin is fast, then he has a lot of it , a very fast canoe in the making"

SteveC

Morrison 2 progress.......I am still at the moulding stage and am making a male plug over which the boat will be built upside down.

The plug is basically a load of frames made to the inside dimensions of the hull minus the thickness of a sheet of ply. It was a bit tricky getting the ply to follow the shape of the frames until I discovered Flexiply which is brilliant stuff, 4mm and bends very easily. You do get a bity of sag between the frames but these can be easily faired with flexible woodfiller. I retrospect I should have used cedar strips like the professionals use but ply is a lot cheaper and easier to come by I suspect. Hoping to sheeve the mould with a glass and epoxy layer to give a good hard suface to work off and airtight to vacuum down onto over Christmas. All materials bought for the hull now but in a much more basic form than Colin (epoxy, carbon and foam) and will then start making the hull but with temperatures forecast to drop to -15oC this weekend that's looking doubtful.

I have created some space in the gallery now and will populate it with images of boats in progress - please send me images when you can chaps. Thanks to Ian McPherson who has compiled a very impressive picture library of boats from around the world which are gradully being uploaded to the gallery at

http://www.intcanoe.org.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=7

Andy P

Colin Brown is busy trimming the moulding edges, and sticking bulkheads in on the Morrison IC.

Alastair's mould is coming along nicely - the ply skins are on, some fairing and glass skinning to do.

Mould construction:

11 frames of MDF, spiled through a fullsize plotting from Alistair's CAD design. ( and 20mm undersize of the finished hull).

Battens of 12mm western red cedar, 3mm of gaboon ply that bends nice and fair. 2 x 200g/m² glass in epoxy, + a couple of layers of resin + glassbubbles. This then gets a rough sanding with 40grit paper + belt sander and then longboard. Apply parceltape and lots of wax - done!

The Dragonfly design is double chined with fairly flat even curved bottom panel which is ideal for bending the ply.

The gunwale line is basically two straight lines, with a kink at the back of the foredeck.

The aft end of the boat is a chopped V-transom, rather than the traditional canoe stern.

photos here

http://www.mediafire.com/?t538zjvhj2hdd

Hi

We have a flurry of building here, representing several different ways of going about things, a home design/ ply build, a home design/ composite build, pro design home build, home design pro/home build and pro design pro/home finished. The designs are very varied and only time will tell what works and what does not!

As to how old canoe sailers are, I think Peter Conway at 76 (I think that's right) demonstrates that its attitude and keeping fit and not age that matters, he also sails a foiling moth and a Int 14

Ok I haven't reported much for a while now, made promises that I would...... (very busy life atm a new house and I married my childhood sweet heart earlier this month.... + much more)

However there is good news my wife wants me to get my boat on the water and me out sailing.... so I've been told to "go to the shed and build no excuses"...

No photos at the moment (will follow soon), but I can state that I now have a near complete hull which will need a little faring and painting, new hiking plank parts are made and I/we (dad once again :) ) will start assembling them tomorrow. The new boat is based very much from my old boat that took the battering early lasts year with a few mod's/tweaks to look prettier and who knows maybe the new boat will be a little faster but I don't expect a noticeable difference in performance as the changes are very minor. Biggest change is I've decided to go back to a standard IC rudder system as the hinged system I feel didn't achieve the desired results I had hoped for, time will tell if going back will be a forward step....

Now where is that bloody camera...... arrrrrrrhhhhh photo or it didnt happen....

ICU2

I know my priorities are backwards, but I've built a house instead of a canoe. My new shop is set up and there is now ample space to complete the canoe. Yesterday I placed the Crapitano dance floor on the String Theory hull and smiled. Neither part was designed to fit the other but they do. I move into the house very soon and will resume building.

post-32376-018101100 1294159979_thumb.jpg

post-32376-041299500 1294160023_thumb.jpg

post-32376-077766800 1294160102_thumb.jpg

Thought I'd better check back in with the IC community, it's been all to quiet on the Aussie IC front lately.

Anyway, no new boat in build (and Germany is looking difficult at this point in time - though sponsors are welcome B) )but I have gotten a new set of sails (Alexander) and a 2 piece carbon stick (thanks C-Tech) which are both proving fast. Looking forward to the Nationals at Lake Boga this Easter to see how its all coming together.

post-9663-005548800 1294698734_thumb.jpg

Alistair's mould. Hull will be 150mm shallower than the mould.

post-2679-093617100 1294852835_thumb.jpg

post-2679-072723900 1294852863_thumb.jpg

It's not easy to take nice pics in a small workshop on a dark day

Andy the stern looks rather wide!!!! do you have some extra on the mold in that area also? Just wondering how you will get it to fit the rules from that point (which I'm sure you will) maybe the photo is deceiving to my eye.... :)

ICU2