stinky

DC Designs

Nope. The boat didn't round up, it was more or less stable on whatever heading, going sideways with the foils stalled.

What happened was if I came out of a tack too slowly the board would stall when I pulled the sail on, and if the wind got mega light and forward speed dropped too far it would also stall.

Pushing the rudder down unstalled the rudder, which would then grip and push the bow round. But once you'd got onto the other heading the boat would sail off fine, the d board would presumably unstall in the middle of the tack. But it never stalled again on the opposite tack (other than zero wind situation when boat became unsailable) and I have no idea why not because it would be going even more slowly after the tack back.

Sorry to hear the flap was not great - did you race with it? Or go with something standard and the flapper been consigned to the scrap bin of history?

Guessing that in the fruitier SF conditions then you are a bit overfoiled to get out of tacks etc and when you are smashing out 10kts plus upwind, your leeway will be quite small so the benefits of a gyber or flapper small too.

I had worked out a good way to actuate that flap with a self tacking jib.

Was your Tfoil adjustable in AOA? And by how much? I reckoned I had about 15 deg range between max on and max off in my i14, although in any one windrange you would only be using half of that tops.

No I didn't race with the flap. Because it was so windy simple was the way to go for the worlds. In most of the races I wouldn't touch any strings other than the sheets until the run. Having to reach in to turn a flap or gyber on and off would have been potentially deadly. The bear aways were particularly exciting. No way I'd want to come in to pull on a string. And you're right - the gyber does seem to lose any benefit in winds over about 15kts.

When I've messed with a gyber in the past I could definitely get it to pull the boat to weather if it was set over about three degrees. Two degrees seemed about right.

My t-foil rudder was adjustable by twisting the tiller extension. The range was + 4deg. to -4deg. It seemed fastest to use that use that +4deg. upwind and move the seat carriage way aft. Downwind was anywhere from neutral to -4deg.

As far as tacks and board size went if it was blowing more than 18 I was just happy if my boat was pointing the right way after a tack. If it was upright that was even better. A little bit of sliding sideways while my board worked at getting re-attached really didn't worry me much.

The t-foil rudder was interesting.....

I didn't realise that the boat with the T foil rudder was yours Chris, although that figures. :-) I was also a bit surprised because I understood that your previous experiments with it a few years ago were not entirely successful? I've been interested in using a T-foil rudder in order to do away with the seat carriage, which saves a bit of weight and simplifies the construction a bit. However, my experiments with models have shown that T-foil rudders are slow, at least,up to the point where they help you to survive beyond where you would otherwise have crashed. Using the foil to provide lift upwind may cancel out the added drag, but then you still need the seat carriage to move your weight aft :-(

Andy Paterson tried the rudder foil on tin teardrop, I think the original idea was to have a fixed carriage with the foil to trim but it proved to just add drag in most conditions. The foil I saw him try was wider than Chris's was in Richmond but similar cord. He later added a movable carriage

Tough day for the East Coast IC contingent. Dave and I were towing 3 boats down to HPDO (2 more were behind Mike's Car). Were on the highway south of Providence when we were rear ended with sufficient force to bend the 1 inch thick steel trailer hitch 90 degrees and drive the trailer tongue about 4 feet into the back of the SUV. Significant damage to the stern of both Kaito and Cookie Monster and the tongue of the trailer crushed all of our blades. Plus the trailer and car are both completely destroyed.

Both Dave and I are fine, and we believe everything is fixable, but it will take us a while to get back to square one. Fulcrum is going to be working some overtime.

We're very bummed out. Kaito was really the first thing I ever built. Plus we're missing a super fun regatta.

However we will move on and recover. We are strong in the face of adversity.

The son of a bitch hit us!

Best,

Willy

Tough day for the East Coast IC contingent. Dave and I were towing 3 boats down to HPDO (2 more were behind Mike's Car). Were on the highway south of Providence when we were rear ended with sufficient force to bend the 1 inch thick steel trailer hitch 90 degrees and drive the trailer tongue about 4 feet into the back of the SUV. Significant damage to the stern of both Kaito and Cookie Monster and the tongue of the trailer crushed all of our blades. Plus the trailer and car are both completely destroyed.

Both Dave and I are fine, and we believe everything is fixable, but it will take us a while to get back to square one. Fulcrum is going to be working some overtime.

We're very bummed out. Kaito was really the first thing I ever built. Plus we're missing a super fun regatta.

Best,

Willy

Tell me the driver was on a cell phone and have they serious insurance coverage.

DWO

Really sorry to hear that. Glad you're both in one piece.

Best,

Willy

Thats my worst nightmare, but at least you are both OK, boats can be repaired, bodies can be more more of a problem...

Best,

Willy

Tell me the driver was on a cell phone and have they serious insurance coverage.

DWO

Pretty sure he was texting. Not sure how else you "just don't see" a bright yellow boat. Someone not named Clark is writing a big check for this.

Best,

Willy

Shit man! That boat was pretty...

I hope it all works out in the end and that you get the guy. That wasn't just a light tap by the sound of it.

Glad to hear you and Dave are ok.

Thankfully many more regattas in both your futures.

Texting - at speed - great big cheque, I hope.

Not sure how else you "just don't see" a bright yellow boat.

Perhaps we made 'em too skinny for easy road visibility from behind? Got to put my hand up and say it never even occurred to me to consider highway factors when we were mulling over the rule set...

Terrible news, I was checking this thread to read about the regatta ,not some nut running into you. Glad you guys are ok.

Maybe you can convince the insurance company the skinny hulls were actually a C-cat. They just got shorter from the impact.

Glad you are OK. Good luck.

Bummer dudes.

Glad you are OK.

It puts the old "journey not the destination" idea of boatbuilding to the test. I always figured I would send mine forward off the roof rack in a hard stop or accident, but somehow never did. And getting rear ended always seemed like a good possibility. Maybe LED bike flashers on the tack fitting?

Sorry you missed the regatta. Nothing like long island sound in October.

Who are the builders? Oliver?

K

Who are the builders? Oliver?

Actually it's me. Check it out, there's a Fulcrum Speedworks website. And yes this violates the "take out an ad" deal on this site, but hey, somebody asked.

http://fulcrumspeedworks.com/

Follow on facebook for construction updates

https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumspeedworks?ref=bookmarks

Updates on first build of the very scary-looking fulcrum kit canoe will be coming up in the next few weeks.

DRC

Willy and Dave, watch your necks and backs over time. Find out what your statute of limitations is concerning making your demand to the insurance company . Don't give up any of your rights. Be patient. There's no hurry.

Dave, nice boats. Kind of expensive though... :P

And HELLO CLASS, is BMS 2D or 3D?

Commit. You'll feel better.

Really.

For those who wish to know:

Machete:

crazy ivan lines r0.pdf

Known to me as "Crazy Ivan"

A double chine hull which cribs a lot from Alistair Warren's "Dragonfly"in terms of chine treatment in the bow. Displacement is a bit bigger than Gaijin, but the fundamentals are the same: Super fine entry, moderate, evenly distributed rocker and softer bilges aft that we believe has made Gaijin a fast package.

We have gone to quite a bit of trouble to make the assembly clean and reliable without resorting to big jigs and strong backs. This requires a bit of discipline from the builder, it isn't quick and dirty, but we figure the people who are going to be buying these kits are going to be doing it for the enjoyment of building something remarkable so calling for a bit of extra care actually adds value to the experience. We have also gone a bit retro in the core assembly to permit those who don't do epoxy to build one of these hulls. They will, however, have do do a bit of extra woodworking to replace the carbon/ epoxy tabbing in some areas.

Plywood and stringers done carefully, is a very satisfactory way to build a little boat like this. Fortunately we now have CNC cutters, CAD and 3d modeling software, so moist of the really tedious part of stringer frame building is done in the kit design. Dance Commander, which only had carbon patching in the very high load areas and as an alternative to custom metal fabrications, is an entirely competitive IC capable of winning World Championships. We hope the Machete will be as fast and because a jig is not needed to build the hull, a lot more accessible to builders world wide.

SHC

Dave & Willy - glad to hear you guys are alright. Shame about the boats.

Does anyone ever build lifting towers into the boat to lift the foils up once you're at speed? Or would this get in the way of the carriage's range of motion?

Does anyone ever build lifting towers into the boat to lift the foils up once you're at speed? Or would this get in the way of the carriage's range of motion?

Actually I did that on Dance Commander by bolting a block into my chainplate cross bar and potting a spectra halyard into the leading edge of my daggerboard just above the waterline. I call it a telepathic board and when it works it's awesome since you can manipulate board depth from the back of the bus off the wind. This makes bearaways smoother and enables you to drop full board during gybes and pop it out again afterwards. When it doesn't work (mainly due to friction in the trunk and side force) it's a pain. However, it doesn't weigh much or use much expensive pieces so it's kind of worth it if you have the cross bar to attach to.

DRC

Steve, Dave, would you show where the BMS is on Crazy Ivan?

Perhaps a class measurer or 4 might comment on how the Clark family product might measure?

I'm pretty sure it measures in. It's almost exactly the same as the green boat in this video. Speaking of video, hey look! A canoe video! All footage taken from the sugar island encampment this August.
Here comes the weekend!
DRC

Hi Dave,

How what was your board down set up from the seat? Piece of line from the top of the board to a block and to the end of the seat?

The halyard is actually just led to the stern and run continuously into the downward control by a block at the rudder. Both the lines pass through the mouth of a small cleat. By default, when you reach in and pull one end it enables the other to fall down into the cleats mouth and lock. You have to get in off the seat for mark roundings anyway to get the seat aft so the real speed savings is from not having to get forward onto the most roll friendly part of the boat to pull the board.

DRC

Kit canoe build pictures as promised. Brought to you from the depths of my secret central New York lair. This is twelve days in and the bottom is already on. It's starting to really feel like a boat. Here's to launching before midwinters!

DRC

post-100627-0-42416000-1417021989_thumb.jpg

post-100627-0-54654000-1417021990_thumb.jpg

post-100627-0-30565900-1417021991_thumb.jpg

post-100627-0-83432700-1417021991_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave

What design is this?

What's included in the kit package and I suppose more importantly what additional bits would you need to purchase in you where going to cannibalise a relatively competitive AC.

It wont be a this year project as we are in the process of buying a new house but could be a project for next winter.

Cheers

Ian W

GBR269A

Hey Ian,

As a product, I'm calling all the kits "Machetes" but the current kit design is my dad's (Steve Clark) "Crazy Ivan" design, found a few posts further up on this page. The shape is somewhere between Chris Maas' "Peril", now owned by Rob Stebbing and Alistair Warren's "Dragonfly".

The kit package I'm formally offering includes everything but sails in the $5000 US. That's mast, boom, blades, seat system, fittings etc. However, cannibalizing an existing boat is a very resourceful and achievable option which I fully endorse.

Here's a list of stuff you can switch over:
1.The entire rig
2. Seat
3. Part of the carriage -it needs to be slimmed down and made compatible with the rail system. I can ship the carbon plates necessary for this modification.
4. Both blades - technically the Machete has a bolt on carbon rudder gantry but building a rudder trunk for an existing blade is very very cheap and easy.

5. All fittings -you probably can sell half of what you've got since most nethercotts have excess chandlery as corrector weights beyond the allotted lead.

Basically you just need to put the hull together and translate the carriage to the new width and rail system. This includes no assurances regarding weight but, assuming your seat is around 8 kilograms and the carriage isn't a pig, the boat should be competitively light. If your seat system is exceptionally heavy, I can ship a carriage and either a carbon seat or the kit for a plywood seat.

Besides that you need a jug of West System 205 and about ten tubes of West System 610, some paint...and.. saw horses? . Honestly, if you've got a garage and 1500 pounds you could conceivably be floating by June. Optimism is my watchword.

Hope this helps

DRC

25kg. That's not a lot of boat in there.

Looking good, now just need a finish job to match and stun us...

Actually, I just did some recalculations and it's more like 23kg. Not stunningly light but given the huge amount of reinforcement inside, I'm excited. The planned finish is blood red bottom, blonde wood decks and exposed black carbon at various tabbing points. Here's another picture, taken from the shop floor as opposed to the "factory showroom" next door. More stuff to come!

DRC

https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumspeedworks

post-100627-0-02800000-1418410578_thumb.jpg

How we used to be... Starting at 6:30 in the clip below there's some film of the 1971 Europeans at Steinhudermeer, including what you'd swear was Gopro footage in black and white... Ramdhorn tillers and all...

http://www.filmothek.bundesarchiv.de/video/584975?set_lang=en

Actually, I just did some recalculations and it's more like 23kg. Not stunningly light but given the huge amount of reinforcement inside, I'm excited. The planned finish is blood red bottom, blonde wood decks and exposed black carbon at various tabbing points. Here's another picture, taken from the shop floor as opposed to the "factory showroom" next door. More stuff to come!

DRC

The canoe reminds me of an rc sailing boat:

Long

Thin

long lever balast

high mast

short boom (high aspect ratio sails )

No kite (IC)

sexy

comparably fast

DRC

The canoe reminds me of an rc sailing boat:

Long

Thin

long lever balast

high mast

short boom (high aspect ratio sails )

No kite (IC)

sexy

comparably fast

Actually, what it's reminding me of lately is Wild Oats XI. I put the Gaijin lines (used for Dance Commander) and WOXI's lines next to one another and apart from the max beam being a bit further forward on WOXI they looked quite similar. Think of the seat as the dinghy racers canting keel and it gets really similar. Great video, Jim. Those booms and tiller systems are bizarre.

DRC

Uffa was 73 years old in 1971, and definitely not sailing Canoes any more.

He died in October '72.

I don't think any members of the current cast were present.

The Antler tiller extensions were certainly odd, but not as weird as the American "cross head tiller" which required that you learn to steer by moving your hand fore and aft instead of side to side.

Seriously, cutting the end off the boom and sheeting to the back of the carriage was one of the brightest things ever done for the IC.

We may thank His Grace Tony Marston for this essential bit of clear thinking. He gave us the back half of the boat to dance on.

SHC

I'm talking to Peter Wells, who started sailing Canoes immediately post war and has given me some old archive material and he was there.

One thing I've just found are the lines of Eastwind and Conquest, which were UK triallists for the first postwar NYCCCC competition. I want to try and draw up some lines drawings for the web site, but one thing that's immediately striking is how much finer the ends are on the hard chine Holt Conquest than much bluffer Eastwind, which was designed by Austin Farrar, but at first glance looks very much in the Fox style.

Conquest.

Canoe Pres Phil Robin is currently putting her back to sailing order.

post-60-0-68031700-1419956830_thumb.jpg

Eastwind

Austin Farrar came up with the curved and laddered sliding seat. The central spine was innovative for the time too.

You've got to wonder what those big bows were like in waves though...

post-60-0-22620000-1419956964_thumb.jpg

Nice sequence of John Biddle sailing Dicey. He was never slowed by the cowhorn tiller and continued to use them into the 1980s.

How we used to be... Starting at 6:30 in the clip below there's some film of the 1971 Europeans at Steinhudermeer, including what you'd swear was Gopro footage in black and white... Ramdhorn tillers and all...

http://www.filmothek.bundesarchiv.de/video/584975?set_lang=en

Das ist schweet! i assume those weren't all Nethercotts?

Das ist schweet! i assume those weren't all Nethercotts?

All the ones I saw clearly were I think, but they needn't have been.

That's what i meant. I'm not a canoeist at all but I thought I remembered that Nethercotts hadn't been legislated in at that time.

Nethercott was the predominant design, however. Older boats were in evidence as well as the "Slurp" design from Sweden. The last US design before the one design declaration was Louis Whinman's "Pheonix."

SHC

I want some photos of ICF worlds gold, silver and bronze medals for the website. I'm sure there are people here who have some. A white background would be ideal. If you can oblige please PM me. Thanks, Jim C

std_DC_Chris_Maas_1.jpg

Can anyone source me a larger copy of this photo of Chris Maas, that was used on Sailworld, together with rights to use it on the IC website?

And has anyone got a decent quality lines graphic for a Nethercott, 750 px wide or preferably more? I don't really want to reconstruct them from the sections in the rules if I can help it.

cheers, Jim C

std_DC_Chris_Maas_1.jpg

Can anyone source me a larger copy of this photo of Chris Maas, that was used on Sailworld, together with rights to use it on the IC website?

My wife Monique took that. I'm sure she'll let us use it if I can find it.

Looking good.

Why the double chine? Class rules?

• Like 1

Why the double chine? Class rules?

Actually just a question of floating right while keeping a 16 degree bow, which I think is super fast. That and there are some nice ease of build things that come with it.

DRC

Perfectly appropriate photo for this thread. Night and day between the Machete and the Nethercott. Praying for liquid water.

DRC

post-100627-0-96122900-1424801157_thumb.jpg

Thing is though when the wide one was designed they had heavy wooden masts, cotton sails. clunky steering, stern sheeting and jump over the boom to tack. It wouldn't be very surprising if the skinny ones are no more difficult to sail than the wide one was when it was designed.

Looks nice Dave, can t wait to see that thing! But water is frozen here too ...

Perfectly appropriate photo for this thread. Night and day between the Machete and the Nethercott. Praying for liquid water.

DRC

Over on the Class forum http://www.intcanoe.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1686&sid=5e8cbe17b88dfe09b6af342e84d8eb31I'm asking folk to vote for their favorites amongst Robert Muller's Worlds photos to help me select which ones to put in the website gallery.

If you're not on the Canoe forum but would like to help me select the best you can do it by favouriting/commenting on this flickr album https://www.flickr.com/photos/56735928@N05/sets/72157650951177616/

If you can't sign into the Canoe forum for some reason PM me and I'll see if I can sort you out.

And, yes, if all else fails PM me your votes and captions!

@JimC - some impressive shots you have there!

@Dave Clark - what do you mean by a 16 degree bow? As in measured by the angle that the sides come in together?

Matt,

Yup. The topsides have zero flare and come together in plan view at 16 degrees. The water won't even know it's there.

DRC

Anybody else got some major cabin fever?.....

If you're from the southern hemisphere, please, just....no.

DRC

post-100627-0-38986400-1425758661_thumb.png

post-100627-0-27525100-1425759011_thumb.jpg

Got to be careful with that... In the UK we have this scow like injection moulded polypropylene boat called a Topper, and they look just like a sledge. In winter time its tempted many people. But in sub zero temperatures the polyprop gets brittle. *Very* brittle. Do I need to draw you a picture?

Got to be careful with that... In the UK we have this scow like injection moulded polypropylene boat called a Topper, and they look just like a sledge. In winter time its tempted many people. But in sub zero temperatures the polyprop gets brittle. *Very* brittle. Do I need to draw you a picture?

I always presumed that would be a fitting end to a topper. Saw one for sale online for pennies around here a while back, almost went to get it just to go down a slope.

Who speaks canoe sailing in another language?

The slightly revised IC web site http://www.intcanoe.org now has the capability for languages other than english. but unfortunately this editor most definitely doesn't. Google translate definitely doesn't cut the mustard as soon as you have technical terms in the mix, so I would badly like translations. Just the front page would be a good start, but as many as possible would be good. If you can help with any significant international language then please PM me. Swedish and German are particular priorities. It would be fine to take google translations and make them grammatical I suspect.

Does this 48.2 kg include mast, foils, and sails?

That's 48.2 kg as it sits on that scale in the picture. That includes everything except the sails. Add some miscellany and it should be at or below the 50kg minimum weight.

DRC

Does this 48.2 kg include mast, foils, and sails?

That's 48.2 kg as it sits on that scale in the picture. That includes everything except the sails. Add some miscellany and it should be at or below the 50kg minimum weight.

DRC

That is impressive, especially given the construction method.

How do you see the performance of the Dance Commander compares to the Panther? Does the extra US$ 4,000 purchase make sense for the average IC sailor?

How do you see the performance of the Dance Commander compares to the Panther? Does the extra US$ 4,000 purchase make sense for the average IC sailor?

Well, both are done to the exact same design. They should be practically identical in performance. What I expect is that the composite boat is more damage tolerant and more durable in the long term. Now mind you, I think a good deal of boats built with composites are more durable than they should be. The amount of obsolete unwanted 90's I14s sitting around in near perfect condition is a testament to that. If you are the sort to fuss over your boat anyway, there shouldn't be any difference between the Dance Commander and Panther builds. I will say that you save more money for your maintenance input if you go for the full blown Machete kit. Everything except the hull (which is easy) comes prefab so for a bit more work you save a whole bunch. Then there's just buying the hull kit for 2 grand and cannibalizing an existing penultimate boat, but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself

DRC

http://fulcrumspeedworks.com

Impressive. 10 second max?

Turns out the velocitek was completely full of C-class tracks and didn't record. First world problems. I know 20 when I feel it, though, and that was 20. Further, I know the boat can be sailed better, pushed harder and take better wind. I wasn't even properly on the end of the seat in that run.

DRC

Willie, you had ride yet? I want to know how the new boat holds up to some serious stress. Nothing negative here, just know you are very aggressive when you sail. Not that your brother doesn't sail hard but he is a bit wormy in stature. Not that that's a bad thing. Sail on.

Willie, you had ride yet? I want to know how the new boat holds up to some serious stress. Nothing negative here, just know you are very aggressive when you sail. Not that your brother doesn't sail hard but he is a bit wormy in stature. Not that that's a bad thing. Sail on.

Heh. "wormy" eh? I prefer "svelte" to be honest. Anyway, Willy hasn't had time for a go yet but my dad just took it out for a spin today. According to sailflow it was blowing high teens to low twenties. Willy has actually lost some weight so dad's the new heavyweight testing standard at ~225lbs. Boat cooked along nicely and returned with no breakages (though my dad did have some harsh words about how I run control lines, hah). I got some footage of it which I'll distill to something fancy tonight.

DRC

Dave wanted me to have a go on Saturday, but I had to finish the trailer so I can get the boat out of the parents' house. Right now I'm taking up too much of Dad & Dave's space and time.

Have lost a bit of weight, but it's true that I am an extremely aggressive sailor, and do still consider myself sort of the canoe class' version of the human stress test. However Dad is actually heavier than I am. And while he's not the walking version of Murphy's Law (anything that Willy can break he will break) that I sometimes, much to my chagrin, resemble, a seat and carriage that can handle him can handle me.

Will hopefully get to take Machete for a ride next weekend in Gloucester. If not then then definitely in Wickford two weekends from now.

Best,

Willy

Hilarious commentary Dave.

+1

That thing looks like it slices through the water effortlessly!

Need to audition for the next instalment in the "Anchorman - Legend of Ron Burgundy" series.....

Maybe just grow an awesome Magnum PI 'Tache to seal the deal (a whole hipster beard has too much windage drag).

LOVE IT! Almost bought 189 before 204 was available, small world idnt.

New video of Machete in some breeze!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtY4tJL36lw

What's everybody else cooking up? I haven't seen a single image of the Morrison 3 yet. Can somebody investigate? I'm quite curious.

DRC

M3 is still on the drawing board Dave. Just doing testing before finalising and going to a mould. Idea is to morph the ideas from the US and UK boats into one for light wind and heavy wind performance. M3 is M2 with more slender bow and BMS taken right back.

Steve C12 Performance Boats

post-37976-0-77424300-1433770979_thumb.jpg

post-37976-0-67029100-1433770996_thumb.jpg

What's everybody else cooking up? I haven't seen a single image of the Morrison 3 yet. Can somebody investigate? I'm quite curious.DRC
M3 is still on the drawing board Dave. Just doing testing before finalising and going to a mould. Idea is to morph the ideas from the US and UK boats into one for light wind and heavy wind performance. M3 is M2 with more slender bow and BMS taken right back.Steve C12 Performance Boats

Looks swift to me! Thanks for sharing, Steve.

DRC

What's everybody else cooking up? I haven't seen a single image of the Morrison 3 yet. Can somebody investigate? I'm quite curious.DRC
M3 is still on the drawing board Dave. Just doing testing before finalising and going to a mould. Idea is to morph the ideas from the US and UK boats into one for light wind and heavy wind performance. M3 is M2 with more slender bow and BMS taken right back.Steve C12 Performance Boats

Looks swift to me! Thanks for sharing, Steve.

DRC

Excellent Canoe racing this weekend in Wickford.

Saturday - good sailing, though not quite as much good racing. Fleet was still a little disorganized at our first home game of the season.

Sunday- Absolute