Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Who's Gonna Take Monday?

There are plenty of Anarchist pics in this thread along with the usual shitfights, but I'm going to start a "picks of the day" thread each night so that you can give your best shot. Whoever can pick the day's top performers with the highest degree of accuracy wins some swag. We've got some Charleston Race Week T-shirts, a bunch of SA gear, some tattoos, posters, and stickers, three apples with razor blades inside, and a bottle of bit white pills that I can't identify - but they have a playboy bunny stamped on them.

Okay - I'm joking about the pills, but you get the point. Take your best shot. You can check out all the entries here.

I'm working on mine as we speak.

Probably not a Melges 32 after looking at the forecast.

It's tempting to just pick the best big-air sailors, but this regatta is going to be decided on the three days we have in the low to mid teens.

For the Melges 32s, that points back to Recchi in Let's Roll. He's a laser beam in moderate air, having sailed the Mumm 30 with great success for quite some time. The mumm is tougher to get moving in medium air than the Melges, and his crew's boathandling and tacking is cleaner and smoother than anyone on the course. He's got Gabriele Benussi with him too, superstar Melges 24 sailor and very savvy tactician. I expect Pegasus to win a race if he can get through tomorrow without tearing a major muscle, but they won't be a factor on the week. Illbruck on Pinta will be, with Vince Brun on tactics and an all-star crew they will take 2nd. Star and New Wave will battle for third, with Barbarians being the monkey wrench if they can get through Monday without breaking their chartered boat. Our sentimental favorite is, of course, Nitemare. You'll hear the story about owner Tom Neill plenty this week, and you'll see stickers of the "Reaper" all over the fleet - a sign of solidarity with Tom as he battles some very nasty cancer. His wife, Amy, will drive the boat with some Anarchist crew and a lot of prayers, as Tom watches from a RIB, his body unable to handle the vigors of Key West breeze.

acuraDSC_2154small.jpg

Farr 40s are harder to call. The number of AC vets in this class is scary, and any one of five boats can realistically win this one. In Monday's big breeze, Mescalzone is going to be at the top of the fleet, but after that, I have no idea. While they all want to win, most of these teams are gearing up for Worlds in Miami in a couple of months, so they may not be at the absolute top of their game. Goombay Smash is definitely going to up there, while Terry Hutchinson will keep Barking Mad in the top pack with Alinghi, Warpath, Nerone, and Nanoq. Grooverderci, Ramrod, and Flash Gordon will be the best of the rest.

Farr 40-- Alinghi

Melges 32-- Let's Roll

M30-- Turbo Duck

Melges 24-- Blu Moon

J/105-- Masquerade

J/80-- Rumor

IRC 1-- Samba Pa Ti

Swan 42-- Amelia

PHRF 1-- Wairere

IRC 2-- No Naked Flames

PHRF 2-- Bounder

Probably not a Melges 32 after looking at the forecast.

2 minutes ago, Word is that if winds are 25 or over the day is cancelled.

There are just too many M-32's that haven't seen that kind of stuff, and half the fleet will be on its side. It'll be a hell of a day for the MUMM if the Melges can't come out and play.

We're in touch with a bunch of folks who will let us know the second a decision is made. Buoy reports show 27 gusting 32 a few minutes ago. When I went to bed at 5:30 it was pouring rain with some lightning.

There are just too many M-32's that haven't seen that kind of stuff, and half the fleet will be on its side. It'll be a hell of a day for the MUMM if the Melges can't come out and play.

We're in touch with a bunch of folks who will let us know the second a decision is made. Buoy reports show 27 gusting 32 a few minutes ago. When I went to bed at 5:30 it was pouring rain with some lightning.

CLEAN:

Please bring extra MB on expansion disks and just hold down the shutter all day on your camera.

Did you guys bring video cameras as well?

21 Jan 2008 ~ "Nautica Watches Day"

Welcome to Day 1 of Acura Key West Presented by Nautica!

Weather: Overcast and windy, current winds have been recorded at 18-21 knots with sea state variable from 2 1/2 -3 feet and some reports of 3-6 feet.

Postponement: AP down no earlier than 1100 (posted 0900)

"Based on today's forecast and timing, it's our intent to have 1 race today" ~ RC

2 minutes ago, Word is that if winds are 25 or over the day is cancelled.

Maybe for the M24's but the big boats from across the pond will want to go out ~

keep it comin clean, man i wish I was able to pull the trigger and get my ass down there, especially when I was standing on a fucking sheet of ice at 5:30 am the other morning doing a story on the pond hockey championships..oh yeah in -20 degree temps. fuck that noise man. why did I move back to mn again?

we are sitting on the dock in gloomy overcast and slightly cold conditions. Everyone bored out of their minds. I think tnT it is 50/50 that we race today but with the threat of thundershowers tomorrow the RC will be under pressure to get at least on race in today. Otherwise we risk having a 3 day event, Wed to Fri.

Hey Clean

Did you ever get that Melges put together?

Have fun down there....i should have stayed...its colder than my X wifes twat back here

Cheers Bro

It was nice to see you guys

Windczar-J105 (representing Northern Michigan)

Upset special...

phrf6- Bob-Colgate 26

From the other thread:

MORE FROM CLEAN:

Kattack guys are going to upload the tracks from the mayhem for a giggle later today. Go and post your guess for top speed of the day- boat and knots -in the other Monday thread, and closest to the actual number wins a Kattack shirt. And clicky their linky, let's try to make up for the lack of racing!"

22.6kts

touch it

From the other thread:

23.8 by a (or Many) Melges 32 if they accually made (make) it out

More than do-able!

So what's goin' on?

edit:...never mind....

1233H: Broken mast for Bob - my home boys, just happened in front of committee boat, all crew on board -broke two places, spreaders and deck level, crew look ok

...so much for my upset special. -_-

Hey,

I'm trying to get into the Day One Thread and not having any luck. Is anyone else having trouble?

ND

Ahem....

news-051107l-lg.jpg

Yes, there is something jamming traffic up and we don't know what it is. We won't have an engineer to look into it until later tonight, but i am hoping to jesus that we can get it solved.

Yes, there is something jamming traffic up and we don't know what it is. We won't have an engineer to look into it until later tonight, but i am hoping to jesus that we can get it solved.

Ya suppose it has anything to do with >500 folks hitting reload every 5 seconds or so?

I'm nominating the Evelyn "Bluto" as the Monday winner on course 4. They were the only ones at our dock smart enough not to go out.

All seems to be working super fast again. Whatever y'all did in Dago, THANK YOU.

I'm waiting on the Ed and Dawg's word on how we can make this work right.

Groovederci rounding out the top five? Give me a break.

...and Ed, why don't you "hope to jesus" in one hand and take a shit in other hand and see which one fills up first.

Groovederci rounding out the top five? Give me a break.

What the hell are you on about?

Reading comprehension - it's what's for dinner.

What the hell are you on about?

Reading comprehension - it's what's for dinner.

Oooh, sorry "rounding out" the top five... How about we wait and see.