Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

On-The-Water Anarchy - Race Track Monday

It got very drunk last night....walk off my DEEEEEELUX accomodatins (Viking 70) to trip over Vegas....dissorianted till 3rd cup of coffee.... race under postponement....staggered into town, rented a bike....rode down to the downtown dock...there it was ....HIGHLAND FLING siiting there big as shit.... (for those of you yet unaware of my quest to sail on a Wally 80, catch up with the saga here: http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...;#entry1501612)

I saw a guy who might be Lord Irvine Laidlaw....I was about to say "lord Sir Irvine, I presume?"...It looked like he was about to say "ZAR?" when I swear to god a japanese guy from one of the Farr 40s hops on MY bike and rides away.... I'm still half drunk from last night, so it took me several seconds to get out a propper WTF, and take off after him on what turned out to be HIS bike....he comes back, and we hand jestered an appreciation of what had just occored. (of course, he did not speak english)... I would have made some crude Japanese, black rental bike all looking alike analagy, but that would have created an internatioal incident, besides, as I noted, there was the language problem..... anyway, THE GUY Who MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN lORD Sir Irvine Laidlaw, WAS THEN GONE, AND i AM NO CLOSER TO GETTINT A RIDE ON THE FLING...OR ANYTHING ELSE, except for a Hobie 33, that I just could not see myself enjoying.....

more later...... hey Clean if I write some good shit, will our sponsors sponsor me to a wrist band...this is the first time I have ever attended a regatta that I was not actually racing in, and it turns out that SOMEONE actually has to PAY for those free drink bands...WHO KNEW????

have the conditions worsened much? or still the same 30 puffs?

So is there going to be a place where we could view the photos from today?

Hey Clean- not missing a thing here in Chucktown-40 degrees and blowin. Question: the Kattack system says I can't view it on my Mac. Is there any way to make it work or do I have to go buy another computer? Really looking forward to wtching the sailing. Gotta show the new baby what she's making me miss!

RC's are headed to breakfast. I'm going to get some more of these videos up in the mean time. Thanks for tuning in - if you're jonesing for some racing, click on the Kattack banner at the top and watch some free races.

Reports from the course just now are 20 knots with much bigger gusts, lots of nasty chop.

HERE'S THE LATEST FROM CLEAN...

"huge wind, the hatch on our boat got torn off with a hundred gallons goin down below, wind up to 35"

"we're bashing in to the dock, just wanted to thank all of you for watching and waiting. the wind is down a touch now, but still easily 30- the sea state is just wicked."

SC

HERE'S THE LATEST FROM CLEAN...

"huge wind, the hatch on our boat got torn off with a hundred gallons goin down below, wind up to 35"

"we're bashing in to the dock, just wanted to thank all of you for watching and waiting. the wind is down a touch now, but still easily 30- the sea state is just wicked."

SC

Oh shit, I was wondering why he signed off.

It got very drunk last night....walk off my DEEEEEELUX accomodatins (Viking 70) to trip over Vegas....dissorianted till 3rd cup of coffee.... race under postponement....staggered into town, rented a bike....rode down to the downtown dock...there it was ....HIGHLAND FLING siiting there big as shit.... (for those of you yet unaware of my quest to sail on a Wally 80, catch up with the saga here: http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index...;#entry1501612)

I saw a guy who might be Lord Irvine Laidlaw....I was about to say "lord Sir Irvine, I presume?"...It looked like he was about to say "ZAR?" when I swear to god a japanese guy from one of the Farr 40s hops on MY bike and rides away.... I'm still half drunk from last night, so it took me several seconds to get out a propper WTF, and take off after him on what turned out to be HIS bike....he comes back, and we hand jestered an appreciation of what had just occored. (of course, he did not speak english)... I would have made some crude Japanese, black rental bike all looking alike analagy, but that would have created an internatioal incident, besides, as I noted, there was the language problem..... anyway, THE GUY Who MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN lORD Sir Irvine Laidlaw, WAS THEN GONE, AND i AM NO CLOSER TO GETTINT A RIDE ON THE FLING...OR ANYTHING ELSE, except for a Hobie 33, that I just could not see myself enjoying.....

more later...... hey Clean if I write some good shit, will our sponsors sponsor me to a wrist band...this is the first time I have ever attended a regatta that I was not actually racing in, and it turns out that SOMEONE actually has to PAY for those free drink bands...WHO KNEW????

Zar, I am in the same boat (pun intended). Slim pickin's on the rides today--although I was sober, NOT hung over and a non-english speaking Japanese sailor from a Farr 40 did NOT try to steal my rented bicycle. See you at the cash register . . . it looks like I'm gonna have to pay for my wrist band, too . . . .

MORE FROM CLEAN:

"We're finally getting some relief from the swell- just to give you an idea of how big and short the seas are, we are in a 38 ton torres- real deep v offshore fisher, and the fastest we could move until a couple minutes ago was 5 knots without launching nearly clear of the water. The Protector 30s were prolly doing 3. I hope none of the 24s lost their rigs- gearbuster was an understatement.

Kattack guys are going to upload the tracks from the mayhem for a giggle later today. Go and post your guess for top speed of the day- boat and knots -in the other Monday thread, and closest to the actual number wins a Kattack shirt. And clicky their linky, let's try to make up for the lack of racing!"

FYI - this page in Low-Fi is 42kb, vs. 148kb in reg version with no avatars etc...

Suggest we all visit again tomorrow in LowFi.

The boat with the broken mast is a Division 3 Class A Boat (Melges 24) and (from the scratch sheet ) he's from Switzerland.

AND MORE CLEAN:

"Bob is a colgate 26 with Mike Ironmonger at the helm. BUMMER. We just paced Brad Reads Swan 42, the only dude crazy enough to have a kite up. Strangely enough, they were slower than a J109 would be in this- 15 knots max. Kudos for ripping it up, but are you serious? 800 grand for a boat this slow???"

Clean, can you post some pics of the carnage from today when you get a chance? Hope you survived the ride in.

is it BLU MOON? Actual world champion in m24? they performed well in the 30+ knot conditions here in the baltic, last summer. does somebody knows something more?

Kattack guys are going to upload the tracks from the mayhem for a giggle later today. Go and post your guess for top speed of the day- boat and knots -in the other Monday thread, and closest to the actual number wins a Kattack shirt. And clicky their linky, let's try to make up for the lack of racing!"

22.6kts

touch it

FYI - this page in Low-Fi is 42kb, vs. 148kb in reg version with no avatars etc...

Suggest we all visit again tomorrow in LowFi.

any pictures loaded to the site won't be seen. I'm not sure if they can when hosted elsewhere.

When I tried the lo-fi version, it was just as slow anyway. It may be better if everyone does it..

can you see this in lo-fi? (edit.. I can)

2ppymgh.jpg

some more photos from blu moon blasting in neustadt worlds:

http://www.regattanews.com/photo_enlarge.a...d=170&gid=0

and

some more photos from blu moon blasting in neustadt worlds:

and

I heard last night that Darden's NY42 lost their rig yesterday in practice. Any confirmation of this? What are the odds that Swan has a few extra sticks on-site?

didn't lose the rig. Had some pole problems that need a carbon fix. Nothing major. AP coming down at 1130

Sorry teleboxAUT118, I mis-read. They did not break the mast, it slipped from mast step.

And I think the broken mast is the Colgate 26, yes Mr. Clean?

MORE FROM CLEAN:

"We didn't sign off - the wireless cards couldn't get a read because we were pitching and rolling like a mf'er...

Also, we are going straight to the tent to get interviews with everyone we can. We'll post them today, so everyone should check back often. We're also going to do some serious shore side KW reporting. Swag goes out to the drunkest bastards we see. We got some excellent vids of Reads swan, and much more."

Mr. Clean: sorry to hear about your on the water mis-haps! It looks like there are about 100 anarchists waiting to see the carnage. Will you be posting those here in On The Water Anarchy or somewhere else? Thanks! (side note: really liked interview with John Kilroy and Terry H. Particularly your question and their answers about the sail selection for the race and it loaded just fine on my home wi-fi network)

Sounds like conditions similar to 2006. But we still raced. 30knts to too much wind in 2008?

After 2006 the Melges32 and the Farr40 people told Peter never again. Actually many sailors expressed concern but The Farrs And Melges32 expressed themselves as the class. The limit is 25k at the signal boat and 1st mark.

That's freaking hilarious.

I'll donate 10% to your wristband! Where do I send it?

DaveK

Just talked to the guys that went out on the Esses.....The broken mast was Bob (colgate 26) with Mike at the helm......big time bummer for them....it is a well sailed boat!

The guys on the Esses said they were doing 15-16 under main alone going out of Stock Island to the Div 4 course......said they were ready to go and dialed in. They had the chute ready because they had a reef in the main and the small jib and they were over 7 knots upwind.

Hope there was not too much carnage out there....only wish they had not brought everyone out then cancel....I guess they were trying to get one off though....

That's freaking hilarious.

I'll donate 10% to your wristband! Where do I send it?

DaveK

please understand, tnat its not just that I am cheap...(ok i am a little) but I have never paid for a wristband...i mean directly...its kind of seamy, like paying for a hooker

Here's a sequence of us on a Melges 32, in KW about 12:45 toady. Savannah#140. They sent M32s out then cancelled before the sequence as winds were over 28 steady. We thought a few spin sets and jibes on the way in would be good practice...

photos KWRW

please understand, tnat its not just that I am cheap...(ok i am a little) but I have never paid for a wristband...i mean directly...its kind of seamy, like paying for a hooker

And I'm sure you would NEVER do that. Zar, you're amusing me today. I'll donate 10% too. Get it from Clean on my behalf. LOL.

To everyone else - Cleans are uploading some of the sailing pix now. Check back later.

And bro, I'm sure we'd all like to see a separate section with some SA KWRW 08 off the water pix and youtube linx as well...

OK - I'm doing it - going out into the frozen detroit tundra now....cheers and fuck all of you in Florida and warmer climates.

I understand... that's why I am trying to get 9 others to donate 10% and then you won't feel seamy for buying it.

It's like having your buddies buy a hooker for you.

And post some pics of the Wally!!

DaveK

Here's a sequence of us on a Melges 32, in KW about 12:45 toady. Savannah#140. They sent M32s out then cancelled before the sequence as winds were over 28 steady. We thought a few spin sets and jibes on the way in would be good practice...

photos KWRW

Great sequence tuck189, Thanks for getting pic's up on Sailing Anarchy, your the first!

And this time, don't fuck off noob, as long as you keep posting good shit like that.

Don’t fall for this bait and switch scheme

I’ve been there

Give him cocktails and invite him to our mega yacht party barge

Next thing ya know he’s tacking on us the whole race.

Maybe the bad Karma is finally catching up ZAR

Can’t believe your down there you bastard

Have fun

I'm on shore, folks. Thanks for your patience, whatever little of it is left. I've got a ton of excellent photos and videos on their way to make up for the lack of racing and the sluggish pace of the forum today.

Then again, I started drinking before the abandonment, so excuse my bad writing.

I understand... that's why I am trying to get 9 others to donate 10% and then you won't feel seamy for buying it.

DaveK

havin your buddies buy you a hooker,is much better!

please understand n(ot that anyone feels sorry for me, or should ) I'm sitting on my friends stupidly opulant yacht, drinking beer and eating shrimp the size of my fist.... I'll be at the tent at around 5...I' heve some shots of the Wally...We'll get them up later

z

DaveK

havin your buddies buy you a hooker,is much better!

please understand n(ot that anyone feels sorry for me, or should ) I'm sitting on my friends stupidly opulant yacht, drinking beer and eating shrimp the size of my fist.... I'll be at the tent at around 5...I' heve some shots of the Wally...We'll get them up later

z

I'm actually glad they abandoned racing. Things were breaking and sails were tearing all over our boat by the time we got out to the course. On the plus side, it was fun doing 12.6 with only a main on the way out. And on a side note, I don't suppose anyone would happen to have a tap set with them here in Key West. We liberated one of the cleats for the jib halyard and need to replace it.

Mr Pelicano here. We were a bit apprehensive about going out on the 24 but the Checkbook was gung-ho and ready to rumble. Situation not too bad in the channel but as soon as we got past the point we were in full snorkel mode, coming off the top of these big-ass waves and driving the nose into the troughs behind, with water sweeping across the deck. Being the bowman, this was perhaps the pinnacle of my breakwall experience. The Snacktician brought me another rum and tonic a bit ago as a token of his gratitude.

Anyway, we bounced around the start line waiting for instructions and finally the RC announced that we'd go for a start at 1300. Couldn't get the course number but figured there'd be a flag at some point. So Skipper says, "Let's try to sail upwind." Yeah, right. Jib comes out and boat lays on its side, crew hanging on for dear life. We manage to assume a more horizontal position and start upwind again... sort of. We're just pounding into waves with water flying all over the place and not making much headway. The wind is howling - just like the worst moments at the Santa Cruz Worlds race 9 only warm - and the waves are nasty. But at Santa Cruz we were still able to make progress to the mark; here we're not making progress to anywhere. So, time to bear away and furl the jib... ummm... time to bear away and furl the jib.... furl the !#$!$^!#@$ jib. Well, we're so loaded up that we can only get the jib part way furled, and we go rocketing off on a reach back toward the RC, looking desperately for the blue-and-white checkered flag. Boats are careening all over the place and nobody looks very enthusiastic.

Finally, RC to the rescue and the abandonment flag comes out and you can almost hear the collective sigh of relief over the roar of the breeze. We get back to the dock and check the wind speed at the bouy - solid 30+ with gusts all the time we're out there.

So, the RC made their point and we're glad to be back with every bit intact and nothing to stand between us and the Goslings. Tomorrow looks like a much better scene - 15-18 knots and may a pesky thunderstorm or two in the afternoon. But, hey, we've got a carbon stick...

I met up with Terry Hutchinson and John Kilroy at the awards ceremony for the Lauderdale-KW race. They took the hat trick: First in class, first corrected and first over the line. A brutally tough race with 10' seas and 30 knots of breeze on the beam, and Samba Pa Ti was the only boat without major issues - they horizoned a fleet that included bigger boats as well as multihulls.

Check out the interview, and thanks to Kattack for making it possible.

Clean - where were those 10 footers you report seeing??? I only saw 4 to 5 feet and we didn't have any "major issues" on our boat. Sounds like a fish story to me.

I don't suppose anyone would happen to have a tap set with them here in Key West. We liberated one of the cleats for the jib halyard and need to replace it.

Where's the boat? Have a set at Old Island Marina (on Stock)

Just heard from Bounder, they're standing around with a thousand other guys waiting for the RC to let 'em race. It's borderline over at the marina according to oneguy.

He also wants to announce that the Bayview Winter Party is now fully on! Rooftop bar at the Bull & Whistle. Given the "clothing optional" nature of the bar, it pays to not be squeaming. But hell - this is Key West. If you can't bear to see smoking hot naked chicks dancing at a bar, you need to do some soul-searching. We've got a box of shirts, hats and other swag for Anarchists who show. I'll buy you a drink.

Bounder is ready to go, recovered from their little clusterfuck yesterday, just waiting to mix it up. We'll have reports from the crew all day whenever they can.

Nothing to report that hasn't already been said. See Y'all Tuesday....on the water, and off.

Clean - where were those 10 footers you report seeing??? I only saw 4 to 5 feet and we didn't have any "major issues" on our boat. Sounds like a fish story to me.

Something's fishy, that's for sure. I guess that's what happens when you interview people two hours after they've started hitting the rum.

Here's a little taste of conditions when we first got to the course.

i've still got some good videos, and I ain't leaving here until they're all posted. Please forgive the shaking and wind noise - not much I could do about that. Just got a call from a Swan 42 crew who saw a max gust of 42 knots. A J/109 reported max 39.

After 2006 the Melges32 and the Farr40 people told Peter never again. Actually many sailors expressed concern but The Farrs And Melges32 expressed themselves as the class. The limit is 25k at the signal boat and 1st mark.

Really? What if the boats who wanted to sail brought a note from their mom?

World class reggatta with a 25 knt. wind limit? Sure it's tough and stuff breaks but that's the game. Could this be the reason we NAers have a tough time in big wind venues?

*sigh*

Does your ugly mug have to grace the start of every freakin' vid?

Hope Mer is feeling better.

Edit; And if you turn up the Harrison in the background it would be nice!

Comment noted. Both of 'em.

Comment from the checkbook who I usually sail with (SimonS on this board) - He's sailing with Mark Ivey and Becky Damore as well as a couple more experienced melgi-ers.

"It was easily windier than yesterday by far, and it built as we went on. While it would have been nice to have them call it earlier, it was still the right call to abandon racing. We were having a lot of fun, but it wasn't racing weather, just survival. We kept winding on rig tension until one of the inner shrouds bottomed out - I guess you could say that we had some mast bend going on."

Hey Mr.Clean could you or Vegas get some pic of Rima2 at the dock, would love to see that boat up close,

Thanks,

Patrick

A little comparison between a Mumm30 and a Melges 32 - the mumm with jib only and the melges with full rig, working it. Considering the power differences between the two boats, kind of a neat look.

Hey Mr.Clean could you or Vegas get some pic of Rima2 at the dock, would love to see that boat up close,

Thanks,

Patrick

Ask and ye shall receive.

DSC_0292.JPG

After abandonment, the fleet headed in, but when they realized that the sea state wasn't nearly so bad, a bunch of Farr 40s rehoisted their mains and went to speed test. Also in this shot is the schooner Liberty (I think) and some nutter with his kite up, more to follow on that one.

Sally Collison, former staff photog for Yachting World, is sitting behind me in the media trailer. She gave me this shot for the SA'ers - who she referred to as "barbaric."

Sally is very cute and very single - she seems like a partying freak. Copyright Sally Collison/www.sallycollison.com. She seriously is tasty.

080100_KWD1_25_large.jpg

Sally Collison, former staff photog for Yachting World, is sitting behind me in the media trailer. She gave me this shot for the SA'ers - who she referred to as "barbaric."

Sally is very cute and very single - she seems like a partying freak. Copyright Sally Collison/www.sallycollison.com. She seriously is tasty.

OK. I'll ask.

How 'bout a photo of Sally?

Clean:

The M-32 in your vid probably didn't have any choice but to sail in. They don't motor too well and it can be a pain to get the engine down in a breeze. Better to just sail.

Could the Mumm have been under power?

Where's the boat? Have a set at Old Island Marina (on Stock)

That would be a huge help! We're also docked on Stock Island, so we can stop by in the morning if it works for you. I sent you a PM with my phone number, but otherwise, just bug anyone in the rum tent with Tribute crew gear on.

This site rocks!

After abandonment, the fleet headed in, but when they realized that the sea state wasn't nearly so bad, a bunch of Farr 40s rehoisted their mains and went to speed test. Also in this shot is the schooner Liberty (I think) and some nutter with his kite up, more to follow on that one.

Anyone got Farr 40 crew lists? They always make interesting reading.

Tell Sally thank you.............and get a pic of her tits for us........

You think maybe you could hold the camera a little higher, and further from your face so we don't have to actually look up your nose?

Next time, I'll shoot from underneath my taint just for you, BJ.

Hey Clean, any video from the interview with the Mini650 lunatics? Those guys, and gal are friggin' nuts.

Looking for that myself..... I'd love to see Jesse's big black pole again.

I'm sure you've covered this - but just in case you haven't: if there is a "steady shot" or "stabilization" mode on your camera: turn it on. It degrades the quality of the video a little but it makes a huge difference in heavy seas.

A little pet peeve of mine, folks - so indulge me.

I spend a lot of time and energy gently coercing people to faster boats. I love cruising, but if I'm going to race, I race. I understand dual-purpose boats, but they're just not particularly fun to race. I'm always ranting against the notion of "if you're all racing the SAME bathtub, it's awesome." To me, that's just an argument from people who are scared of fast boats, or are protective of the name of their slow boat.

I've had some fun in J/105s, J/24s, Beneteau 40.7s, and others - but the truth is that faster is always more fun.

That's why the NYYC/Swan 42 pisses me off so badly. The NYYC held a design contest, and they had a chance to create a truly exciting boat that would be fast, fun, and somewhat cruising friendly. At the price tag they talked about, it could be done light enough to have solid performance and still be somewhat useful with the family.

The design that they picked, now at almost 1.2 Million dollars race-ready, is a joke. It's a decent boat - but essentially, it's a giant J/109. I have nothing against the J/109, but over a million bucks for a 42 foot version of one? You've got to be kidding.

I've kept my mouth shut about it because I wasn't sure. I heard the murmurs and got some reports about the new boat, but I figured I'd wait until I had something a little more solid to base my opinion on.

Well, take a look at the video. This is 30 knots gusting 35. Amelia, Brad Read's 42, is running with a full kite and main, sailing well. We paced them for a few minutes, and our GPS and speedo both read a max speed of 15.8 knots. That's about what a J/109 would be sailing with a kite up in this air. Add to that reports of owners having to do extensive, expensive foil and bottom fairing after delivery from Nautor, and you've got one big fat dog of a design contest winner. Having seen the Farr 42 "Sue" that lost to Nautor for the design comp - the NYYC missed the target by a country mile.

I'm sure you've covered this - but just in case you haven't: if there is a "steady shot" or "stabilization" mode on your camera: turn it on. It degrades the quality of the video a little but it makes a huge difference in heavy seas.

That was with the image stabilizer on, and the wind noise reduction off - if you can believe it. When I sailed for the BBC documentary aboard the Endeavour Replica, I learned that even with a 4-man camera crew and the best shit that money can buy, wind is a bitch for filming. With the Ed's little waterproof sanyo camera (nowhere to put foam, J_T), the wind noise ain't gonna be good. Sorry, folks.

Awesome job on the coverage... we all know windy means shitty sound. Just make up for it witht the after hours coverage! ;)

Ditto on your thoughts NYYC42... oink.

.... even with a 4-man camera crew and the best shit that money can buy, wind is a bitch for filming...

As a professional film-maker myself with extensive on the water experience, I can attest to this... and your clips above, if nothing else, attest to the conditions today. Hang in there (literally?) and thanks for the effort!!!

I just heard the funniest thing ever out of the mouth of someone very high up in the Premiere chain of command. I'm going to write out what I heard, then I'll walk two hundred steps so I can slam three tall Mount Gay and fruity something or other. Hang on a second, because this is really worth it.

First, though - please, please, please - show your support for the Kattack guys. Tom, the developer of the code, was out with us today, and he is certainly a real sailor. Aside from me, Tom was the only one who wasn't either hurling or near hurling. He wasn't pounding Stoli like I was, but he was having a good time. I convinced him to load the days tracks up on the Kattack player even though we didn't race, and they just finished it. Do yourselves a favor, do us a favor, and do everyone a favor who wants to watch more OTW coverage - clicky the linkys and show these guys you're listening - and watch a free day's worth of total mayhem in Key West.

After a few drinks, I'm headed home to get some photos up and write a front page story. We're going to get to bed pretty early tonight - last night I hit the bed at 5:30 and woke up at 7:30, and tomorrow night I'll be surprised if I get any sleep at all. We hope you enjoyed our coverage of this non-event as much as we did, and we promise you all that tomorrow will be the best day we've ever brought you in more than two years of OTW coverage for SA.

Here's the story I overheard:

A KW staff person was on the dock, talking to Paul Cayard and Terry Hutchinson last week. The staff person answered a question with "No, you're wrong - Bertarelli is definitely coming to the event."

Cayard looks at Hutch and says, "Is he gonna fuck this one up for everyone, too?"

Hutch looks back at Cayard, not laughing. "Paul, I think you really should sue him for lost wages."

Paul: "I think Dalts already has."

With that, I'm out - the rum is calling like a siren.

That's why the NYYC/Swan 42 pisses me off so badly. The NYYC held a design contest, and they had a chance to create a truly exciting boat that would be fast, fun, and somewhat cruising friendly. At the price tag they talked about, it could be done light enough to have solid performance and still be somewhat useful with the family.

The design that they picked, now at almost 1.2 Million dollars race-ready, is a joke. It's a decent boat - but essentially, it's a giant J/109. I have nothing against the J/109, but over a million bucks for a 42 foot version of one? You've got to be kidding.

I happened to be in Maine last year at the same time as the NYYC and was parked next to two of these in Booth Bay. You're spot on on the criticism, and then add poor awlgrip jobs, incomplete hardware out of the factory, and shoddy construction. The boys I talked to were not impressed overall, but I never got to talk to a checkwriter to see what they thought. I was a lot more impressed by the Alden.

Good Job today Clean.... Work on getting 4 hours of sleep or you wont make it to Friday.

jibeset

Good job on the coverage Clean, It was better then nothing.

As for the wind it's not that bad, the only thing I can think of to cut down on wind is putting a little piece of scotch tape over the mic, from what I have seen it seems to work.

Where’s those two HD cameras that Vegas was talking about? You need to recruit some cameramen or women.

Looking forward to tomorrows coverage, I only have an hour and a half of class so I will be watching all day again.

Vegas Signing in with postponement updates ~ We are under a two hour, with the AP to come down around 11 am.

While I was putting some Kattack transponders on the M32's I watched the poor bastards on Cracker II, a Ker 50 leaving the dock with the wind hitting her from a beam at 30 kts + the crew tried their hardest to keep her off, but alas when they gunned it and threw the helm over, there was a distinct crack of hull on dock as she pulled away. I guess the transom caught a piece of a piling. Truth in advertising (Boat name).

Hopefully all they have to is buff out that ding....

Apparently from your vantage point you were missing the fact that the boat was backed up on the spring line and left the dock at full pace, due to the breeze. Two of the fenders popped up, but our helmsman managed to keep it off the dock. To the untrained eye, it may have looked like a problem, but getting off the dock in that much breeze is never fun, and it was pulled off without a scratch. Stick to transponders.

Apparently from your vantage point you were missing the fact that the boat was backed up on the spring line and left the dock at full pace, due to the breeze. Two of the fenders popped up, but our helmsman managed to keep it off the dock. To the untrained eye, it may have looked like a problem, but getting off the dock in that much breeze is never fun, and it was pulled off without a scratch. Stick to transponders.

who are you mad at?

congratulations to you helmsman, good job there, but i don't think the person reporting the (non) incident meant any harm to you or anyone else.

<Drill instructor from "stripes"> Lighten up Francis </off>

Good luck with your week.

I think 1.2mill is waaaay off the mark. Granted alot more expensive than originally planned, and getting killled by the Europ but maybe around 850k?

I'm telling you exactly what I was told by someone who helped fit one out. Maybe the owner got a little taken - who knows. I do know that the factory bottom was bumpy and the keel unfair.

best organized one design venues and reggatas in the world.

Huh?

Its a friggin expensive boat for sure. but it seems it hit its market.

I'm not disputing that it's a good cruiser, but it seems to me that its market has more to do with the clout that NYYC and its members have rather than anything substantive to do with the boat. By all accounts, it's an overpriced, overweight hog of a boat. Being a lover of Swans, and having delivered a few back in the day, the 42 has nothing in common with them. Until I saw Amelia dogging up the joint today, I wasn't sure - but now I am.

I hate to see racing take a step backward, and that's what I think the CS42 is - a step backwards.

Working for me.

A little while ago clicking on the video would generate a message saying the video was no longer available. Seems to be working now though.

Thanks a million for putting these out there.

No worries, Kayak. Got more where those came from, and tomorrow we're going to work hard to get all the action, as well as inject some much needed hot female images into our report. We're going to organize it a bit differently to speed things up, and the Ed is working on some hardware solutions to help as well. The party plans are finally coming together too. Thanks to all of you for watching and participating - keep the suggestions coming, too.

Thanks for all the coverage Clean. I'm not bitchin' one bit about it. I just wish that I was down there and not up here in the freezer that's called Michigan. It's nice to know what I'm missing.

Squerb

PS Love the overheard conversation.

Mr. Clean. One more thing: Smoother transitions. If we are going to get raw video, which is cool cuz we get it right away, rather than waiting for editing, then pleas move the camera a little slower when changing the subject of focus.

Don't worry about the "edit" cuz like I said we get the stuff right away, but when you pick something else to "look at", move the camera slowly to it otherwise we get just a seasick as everyone on the boat.

Good Work, thanks for feeding us while we freeze it out in the midwest/great lakes.

And I acknowledge it is hard to drive at 15 kts in wind and high seas and hold a camera.