Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Key West Tuesday - The Comments

The clock has struck 12, and a new day is upon us. The forecast is as different as can be from yesterday's near-gale. Sitting at the outdoor bar of my hotel, it's already dropped off quite a bit, and the forecasts I'm looking at are showing 10-15 knots max with lighter breeze likely for most of the day. I can't say I'm disappointed - Mer was incapacitated by sea sickness yesterday, chopping off the photo-editing end of our team, and another photog, Kregg from Pirate's Lair, hurled over the side when he smelled the vodka wafting from the tumbler I poured while sitting in the fighting chair on the back of our trusty 40 ton steed, "Relentless."

Somehow, you guys didn't seem to mind our transgressions, nor the fact that the races were abandoned. You hit Monday's report over 15,000 times, so we are expecting a big crowd when the gun sounds in 10 hours. We're going back to the Farr 40/M30/Melges 32 course to start out, since we all want to see some of the great matches amongst the deep talent in these upper-crust classes. After that, we'll head over to watch our own favorite, the Melges 24, alongside the J/105 and J/80 classes. This is the biggest division of the week, with almost a hundred boats on one course, and it's filled with people that so many of you know and sail with or against. We've also got a special guest aboard - our German friend Gunter is the top dog of the European Melges 24 Class. He's never been to Key West before, so we're going to show him a good time while getting him involved in bringing you all the action from the little boats and the 105s.

Your Ed has been working hard for the past few hours trying to speed up the hamsters in their wheels that control his interweb - we're going to need it as thousands of you follow our report. He's solved some of the issues, and we're going to help get this thing moving at warp speed by splitting our report into two parts - commentary and links will be in this one, and a separate photo thread will go up shortly. With Mer on her feet again, Sara Proctor shooting really good stuff, and two more big cameras aboard, we should have plenty to keep you entertained. Vegas scored another aircard, so we'll be uploading stuff in double time. One thing we've had to change is the embedded videos - you won't get picture-in-picture stuff today. You'll have to expend all that extra energy to click on the link that takes you straight to YouTube, and I apologize in advance for any strained finger muscles.

Today's action is brought to you by Tom "Rip" Carruthers - the owner and founder of Point Loma Outfitting in San Diego. I just learned that Tom used to sail MORC boats in the Great Lakes before moving to the Left Coast and buying J/World San Diego, which he ran for years. Tom went on to found Point Loma Outfitting, which has quickly become one of the top SLAM dealers in the country as well as a retailer for Gill, Ronstan, Camet, and Kaenon. Mer's already in love with him since he's a Patagonia dealer - and that shit is like crack to her. Clicky on the linkie at the top of this page to take advantage of 10% off all Anarchist orders for the next few weeks - show him that you support PL Outfitting as he supports our little sandbox.

One more thing: The boys from Bayview Yacht Club have been putting the finishing touches on what will be a bizarre and insanely fun party at the "clothing optional" Garden of Eden upstairs from the Bull & Whistle at Caroline and Duval Streets. The last time I was in this place, three of the hottest chicks I'd seen in months were dancing for three hours non-stop, the sweat dripping down their naked bodies. Oneguyfromdetroit and Saildry have some very special surprises in store for all the Anarchists who attend, while Vegas and I will be giving out Anarchy and sponsor swag. Mer and the young ladies she recruits are on tattoo duty. You're not going home without some marks on your body.

We want to wish a very happy birthday to our lovely gal pal from northern cal - Krispy Kreme. Hope you enjoy your report if you're stuck working on your day.

A short gearbuster report from yesterday:

• One mast (Colgate 26 "Bob")
  • one forestay (Melges 24 Blu Moon)
  • a handful of boom vangs, a couple of outhauls
  • a LOT of sails

It could have been much, much worse. Blu Moon, previous winner of KWRW, managed to save their rig with some quick action bringing a spin halyard to the bowsprit in the nick of time.

POD report: Our favorite Chicagoland slumlord and crew-suing POD was spotted trying to get his Mumm to the dock in the big breeze. Rather than going bow-in like the other dozen neighboring boats, he swung around, his crew ready to toss lines. Some good ol' anarchists were nearby, ready to grab the lines - and then they turned around and walked away. Hilarity ensued as his crew tried to drag the mumm to the pier.

Our anarchist was prominently wearing his SA hat for all to see.

Since our excellent Kattack guys got skunked from racing yesterday, I want to give you all a reminder to check out their site, and the offer they've made to Anarchists only. Download the player for free and see how cool it is, then use your SA discount to buy a universal pass to watch all their high-profile races.

Thanks again to Kattack for doing us up right.

Mucho panx there Sr. Clean for you kind wishes. Do have a bit of a busy day, but thanks to Google free wireless I can pop in from anywhere! We're luvin the coverage! Havin' a bday dinner w/Elvis and gang and will lift a voddie in your honor. Go the M32's! Wish we could all be there. POD pics necessary!! Hope you all have a great day out there!

Hi Clean, pls give some big wishes to Günter (Anarchist Ka-Nalu-Nui) from the Neustadt Pussy! It´s hard to sit in true winter and read your really good key west coverage!

Would love to see some photos from the M32 action and specially from the pinta team!

Go on!

teamTelebox aka pussy galore

Hi Clean, pls give some big wishes to Günter (Anarchist Ka-Nalu-Nui) from the Neustadt Pussy! It´s hard to sit in true winter and read your really good key west coverage!

Would love to see some photos from the M32 action and specially from the pinta team!

Go on!

teamTelebox aka pussy galore

It's also hard to it in the sunny West Indies with our boat on the hard and know all you guys are having all the fun in Key West. Someone have a draught Guiness for me.

'English' of the 'Crash Test Dummies' crew!!

It's also hard to it in the sunny West Indies with our boat on the hard and know all you guys are having all the fun in Key West. Someone have a draught Guiness for me.

'English' of the 'Crash Test Dummies' crew!!

Pinta for Telebox, no worries. Crash Test Dummies - you guys should be here! Will you be in Miami?

Please spend a few minutes playing with your board settings. The less superfluous information you display, the quicker this will load for every one of the thousands of Anarchists that will be watching this space. These will be very rich reports, full of embedded video, expandable photos, hyperlinks and more. We expect at least a couple of thousand of you to be watching simultaneously at our peaks, and we want to avoid traffic jams at every stage. At a minimum, please set your maximum posts per page to 25, and shut off all signatures and avatars. Go to your control panel in the top right corner of your screen, and make our lives easy. Thanks in advance.

Pinta for Telebox, no worries. Crash Test Dummies - you guys should be here! Will you be in Miami?

Next year maybe, we just got 5 M24's so we may come in a 24

It's raining hard right now, and KW locals will tell you that when the rain comes in, the breeze lays down. There are still some conflicting reports - NOAA is saying 20 knots or more, while the rest of the models are showing a sharp dropoff in the late morning. Either way, the phalanx of photographers here ain't getting pretty pictures today - we'll see if we can do better. It's pretty interesting - there are a dozen freelance photogs here or more.

Remember that we've set up another thread for photos. If any of you link photos there, just make sure to include a photo credit or a link.

A partial list of the photogs in rainy KW this week:

Ingrid Abery

Tim Wilkes

Billy Black

Sally Collison

Lucie someone (someone please tell me her last name - she is little, blonde and HOT)

Peter Lyons

Sara Proctor

Kregg Miller

Next year maybe, we just got 5 M24's so we may come in a 24

Excellent. BE smart and bring your 24 up to the SE before April, sail Charleston Race Week against 30-40 others, then leave it with us until National Champs in September.

ok...so how will (if at all) the abandoment of yesterday affect the sailing today?? Will crews be chomping at the bit to sail today?? Will they push it harder than they should, knowing that they lost yesterday's races?? Will there be any leftover slop on the water (sea state)?? Will there be too many hungover crews today??

thoughts??

Keep it coming Clean. Nearly a foot of snow in west Michigan this morning. Wishing we were there.

Please spend a few minutes playing with your board settings. The less superfluous information you display, the quicker this will load for every one of the thousands of Anarchists that will be watching this space. These will be very rich reports, full of embedded video, expandable photos, hyperlinks and more. We expect at least a couple of thousand of you to be watching simultaneously at our peaks, and we want to avoid traffic jams at every stage. At a minimum, please set your maximum posts per page to 25, and shut off all signatures and avatars. Go to your control panel in the top right corner of your screen, and make our lives easy. Thanks in advance.

Pls explain this step by step for the idiots amoung us.

I just spoke to a fisherman who went out for bonefish at 5AM - he said there's plenty of leftover lump, but the wind is already down below 20. The nice thing about being inside the reef is that the chop lays down pretty rapidly. The racers are indeed anxious. Just for jesposito, I got word to the M30 Rhumb Punch that he was concerned for them. They didn't even break a nail yesterday, although Hike! Bitches hurt his widdle arm.

Pls explain this step by step for the idiots amoung us.

Click on "My controls" at the top right corner. Click on "Board Controls" after that in the bottom left corner. Set avatars, signatures to OFF. Set number of posts per page to 25. If the board slows to a crawl, I'll ask you all to set them to 10. If you want to avoid that, go ahead and set it to 10 now. Thanks a ton.

I'm picking the Mumm of the day to be Black Seal. This is a great bunch of dudes, including one of the best bowman in the US. Lee "Shuck" Shuckerow is the quintessential Marlboro Country bastard. This is the kind of sailor that needs to be chained to something from the minute he gets off the water until boat call - otherwise he's liable to get in three barfights or the back of a cop car. Brad Boston on tactics...look for an upset over the marquis teams.

tronner: We needed that damned 50 footer. The girls don't like our baitfish-smelling ride.

Christ, a squall just went through here with zero wind and a dumptruck of rain. Any of you guys who want to watch the radar later and give us warning of big ones - it'd be much appreciated.

I'm going to pack up and get out of here - see you all in an hour or so - thanks for making this so great. Seriously, the number of comments I've gotten both here and via e-mail and PM is incredible - we are all making this something special.

See you soon.

Christ, a squall just went through here with zero wind and a dumptruck of rain. Any of you guys who want to watch the radar later and give us warning of big ones - it'd be much appreciated.

Here's a the current radar loop for Key West.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/...mp;animate=true

Winds are forecast @ 16 dropping to 12. ENE to ESE.

Clean,

Main sail trimmer on Vampire says she couldn't pick you out in a crowd. Maybe you guys give them a drive by today?

Thanks,

Corey

Click on "My controls" at the top right corner. Click on "Board Controls" after that in the bottom left corner. Set avatars, signatures to OFF. Set number of posts per page to 25. If the board slows to a crawl, I'll ask you all to set them to 10. If you want to avoid that, go ahead and set it to 10 now. Thanks a ton.

I'm picking the Mumm of the day to be Black Seal. This is a great bunch of dudes, including one of the best bowman in the US. Lee "Shuck" Shuckerow is the quintessential Marlboro Country bastard. This is the kind of sailor that needs to be chained to something from the minute he gets off the water until boat call - otherwise he's liable to get in three barfights or the back of a cop car. Brad Boston on tactics...look for an upset over the marquis teams.

tronner: We needed that damned 50 footer. The girls don't like our baitfish-smelling ride.

I know, Bro. I let you down. I hate myself.

From the front page on 1/19/08:

Ryan Finn and Jessie Rowse talk about their plans for the next Mini-Transat aboard Jessie's Proto Mini. Listen for the interview during our Monday coverage.

Hey Clean, we're still looking for that interview and Monday is over.

Not to give you shit, I know you guys are busy down there. I'm just friggin' jealous I had to deliver the boat back to Miami this weekend and couldn't stay down there too.

Vegas signing in here with a weather update ~

Winds are getting light around 8 kts , but the clouds seem to be breaking and I can see blue sky with rays of sunshine out there.

The Farr 40 fleet is keeping local divers in some much needed loot. At 6:30am, they were all out scrubbing bottoms int he dark while I was setting the Kattack units. Narone' had thier own diver of course.

Today should be a far cry tamer than yesterday.

Much More to Come!!!

It's getting lighter and brighter ~ with some weather all around us. For those in the snow belt, it's gonna be in the low 80s todays ~ The weather is here! Wish you were beautiful ;)

Clean and Mer just made it to the boat and we're getting ready to pull the trigger on what should be a great day of coverage for you~

It's getting lighter and brighter ~ with some weather all around us. For those in the snow belt, it's gonna be in the low 80s todays ~ The weather is here! Wish you were beautiful ;)

Clean and Mer just made it to the boat and we're getting ready to pull the trigger on what should be a great day of coverage for you~

post-20085-1201012429_thumb.jpg

TEAM CLEAN!!!

Damn Clean......I forgot how fucking ugly you are....

Alright you guys here we go! We're off the dock and heading for Course 1 to catch the Farr 40s, Melges 32s and the Mumm 30's~ Still some lingering grey thunderheads, with lighter winds out of the east ~

We'll keep you posted!

the radio is reporting that there is snow in the hills around SF at 1500 ft. brrr.

We will get those mini interviews up as soon as possible, I promise - but they may have to wait until tonight/tomorrow since we expect the RC to really work it and get in three races total. Gunter says hello to all the German Melges 24 sailors!

Damn Clean......I forgot how fucking ugly you are....

I may be ugly, but at least I'm poor.

Nice shirts and brochures, by the way. Our guest is very excited to hear about the excellent value that buying Michigan-made rigging represents to Germans.

The site seems to be really cranking today - whatever the Ed did, it seemed to work!

BTW, we're waiting to hear from the Kattack guys on the top speed yesterday, so there's still time to win something if you guess right.

POD report: Our favorite Chicagoland slumlord and crew-suing POD was spotted trying to get his Mumm to the dock in the big breeze. Rather than going bow-in like the other dozen neighboring boats, he swung around, his crew ready to toss lines. Some good ol' anarchists were nearby, ready to grab the lines - and then they turned around and walked away. Hilarity ensued as his crew tried to drag the mumm to the pier.

Our anarchist was prominently wearing his SA hat for all to see.

That is a fucking cock shit move. Shame shame shame.

Actually Hippie, filing a lawsuit against your crew is a fucking cock shit move, filing a lawsuit to get your name on a pickle dish is a fucking cock shit move~ :angry:

FUCK POD

We've cleared KW channel and we're almost to Course 1 ~ 40s, 32s, and Mumms are already out in force. Winds are out of the east at 12 kts ~

Hell, just tell him to sign a waiver before you help him tie up. Just protecting your ass from an asshat.

I think it was a great move as long as lives were not in danger.

Clean here: RC has set a 2.3 mile course at 095 degrees. Big cloud moving in from the NW. DryArmour just called to tell me that the convective activity from both east and west are all converging on us. Figures...

Take all that POD shit to the Stupid POD thread. No reason to ruin this thread bickering about a dipshit.

Our young captain drove to the wrong course. Litle Josh is from Minnetonka, and he's already signed up to be totally corrupted by the girls of SA tonight. We're 6 minutes from the M32/F40 course now, if we miss the first start, we'll get the rest.

Take all that POD shit to the Stupid POD thread. No reason to ruin this thread bickering about a dipshit.

TRU DAT B)

You reap what you sow and Karma is a bitch. POD would do well to remember both of those.

MS

And back at the racecourse:

Division 3 - Melges 24, J/105, J/80

Reporter: Cindy Saunders

1037H: Individual recall flag is up. A returning Melges gets hung up on the anchor line of the center lin boat ... both are being dragged back.

Well, that was interesting. We were speeding to the course until we realized they'd already started - so a big u-turn and now we're headed to the windward mark. We'll get the sets and rounding orders, and see how our buddy Ernesto is doing ;)

Farr 40's are off and beating to windward ~ the SA press boat is in position for what looks like some hot mark rounding action.

Clean's shooting video right now and we should get that up to you soon

Nice little video intro for you guys uploading as we speak, conversation with Gunter and the conditions on the course. The F40's are coming into the top mark.

At the 1st windward marking rounding for the Farr 40s we've got

Grooveridici in 1st

Lots of current setting the boats

At the 1st windward marking rounding for the Farr 40s we've got

Mean Machine in 1st

Lots of current setting the boats

Confusion AT THE MaRK WITH MULTIPLE BUOYS...tHESE GUYS AREN'T HAPPY

Grooverderci in the lead, with MEan MAchine in 2nd at the "real" mark

Barking Mad, Alinghi, Narone doing cirlcles ~ Must have pissed someone off

Joe Fly and War path are deep in the fleet

BArking MAd coming up after them... Narone's Doping Cirlcles. Joe Fly and Warpath deep in the fleet

I love the fact that at any moment.....any thread imaginable can immediately turn into a FUCK POD thread.....SA's a beautiful thing

Melges 32s beating to windward ~ Sorry for sloppy typing theres a bunch of chop leftover from yesterday good 6 foot roller ~

Big right hand shift coming down ~ We'll keep you posted on how they react

Just for espo:

Nimbus was DFL at the mark by a long way - no surprise there. I did get to meet NYJboat last night, sailing with them - nice guy, but these guys are eons out of their league.

M32s nearby.

Melges 32s rounding with Pegasus rounding in 6th

Pinta is buried ~ Stars pretty deep too

Evil Woman is doing a 360

This is much like trying to follow the Tour De France - online from work. You have to keep hitting refresh every so often to get the latest reports.

I guess that would make Clean the Bob Roll of SA.

This is much more fun than work should be.

Man, there are 25 boats here at the top mark, with a chopper overhead - oops - Savannah is shrimping their chute hard!

Bizarre RC work - the Mumm and Melges have a shorter course - by around 300 feet. Not sure what the point is.

Lots of separation in the Mumm fleet - we'll say hi to POD.

POD Leading ~ 1 St around the Mark,

Kinetic Behind him

followed by Grooverdici

Black Seal just punching it in ~

Nice Kite Sets

Winds are picking up to 15kts nows

Team Bold in 6th

Super Fly in 7th

Savannah spent some time getting their kite free of sea life.

One of our guests aboard gave a nice shout-out to the POD. Good fun.

Notorious is 3rd to Last in the Mumm fleet

Just Plain Nuts bringin up the rear

THe only thing we saw was highland fling in first on IRC 1. Pretty focused on these guys.

Big course change to the left - we're busting over there for the F40's.

Local knowledge always says go left at KW. It paid like a motherfucker so far. 20 degrees easy. Farr 40 mark rounding ahead, and pics going up shortly.

Anything coming in from Premiere's stuff?

From Premier:

Reporter: Susan Burnside

1129H: All Melges 32s around the gate. Winds holding at around 15. Seas seem a bit calmer.

1127H: Melges 32s are rounding the gate and heading back up.

1120H: Melges 32s are coming down to the gate sailing fast angles

1118H: Ramrod is the last Farr to round the gate. Boats are pretty much split going back up to the top mark

Not sure if the 32 roundings got lost in the posting, but Let's Roll was first. Pinta buried. Savannah shrimping.

Grooverderci, Mean Machine, Mescalzone all on port tack hauling ass over to the stbd layline. Groove looking GOOD.

From Premier:

Reporter: Susan Burnside

1129H: All Melges 32s around the gate. Winds holding at around 15. Seas seem a bit calmer.

1127H: Melges 32s are rounding the gate and heading back up.

1120H: Melges 32s are coming down to the gate sailing fast angles

1118H: Ramrod is the last Farr to round the gate. Boats are pretty much split going back up to the top mark

WTF point is that?!? Someone tell that lady she needs to provide details, or post a link to this thread.

Who's watching the J105s? Are they planing? :o

WindCzar(dark blue hull, bow #50, Sail # 616) is out of Hahbor Springs.

From Premiere

Division 2 - IRC 1, Swan 42, PHRF 1, IRC 2, PHRF 2

Reporter: Steve Washburn

1130H: We are shortening the last 2 legs for class A only--- bringing the weather mark in slightly. They will be notified at the last gate mark.

1123H: Race 1 Update- Winds are shifting left and going down in velocity. Sky is still overcast but no rain for the moment. Nothing dramatic just a good sailboat race in decent conditions-- a fair test.

More Clean Video Reports from Warm and Sunny Key West, well warm at least....

We're flying down to the Farr 40 finish line to see who takes the bullet!