Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Torrid Thursday - The Commentary

Yesterday was a mess in more ways than one - fortunately, we had a hell of a time, both on and off the water. You guys seemed to enjoy our action - hell, even Jobson's video from yesterday shows me tossing a beer to our lovely SA tattoo model. While you didn't get to see the more intensive modeling that she did later, she and Mer were both good sports, as was Mel from Tastes Like Chicken. Doing their thing, the girls of SA always make life better.

Today we will have some racing. It may not be great, especially early, but the RCs have their work cut out for them to get some real stuff happening. I'm not sure whether they care even permitted under the SI to run 4 a day, but if they are, they should.

We posted a bunch of videos yesterday, but we're thinking that embedding them inside the posts is really slowing down the refresh screens. So we're going back to links, but we do have some excellent videos for you today.

Thursday's racing is sponsored by Torresen Marine of Muskegon, Michigan. I can't say enough about these guys, but they are long time friends of the Cleans, as well as long-time SA members - all of them! Fetzer 24 is one of the very early members of SA, and he's also known as one of the people who run Torresen. Brian is young and fun and an adrenaline junkie, and he's sailed pretty much everything known to humankind. This may be the first year that BT isn't in Key West in a decade, but with a new baby, it's understandable. He's watching though, like the crackhead we all are. He brings his credibility to this place, though - years with the Warpath program (and Torresen does this high-profile boat's bottom), years at the top end of the J/24 fleet, his own Melges 24...This year Brian has a new ride back on the lake, but I'll let him tell you about it later. The Cone may have some competition...

Torresen was the first company to jump on the SA live report sponsorship. THey didn't hesistate for a second, and for that, we love them. You should love them for the fact that they are offering 25% off of ALL RIGGING ORDERS to all Anarchists this week. Click the link above to find out more.

There are a few good rigging companies in the US, and Torresen is among the best. Give them a shot - save some big cash, and learn how this family-owned business from Lake Michigan can help you and your boat for years to come.

Yesterday's upload got cut off, but this is an interview with the very impressive Brad Van Liew, talking about his rollover off Cape Horn, his Around Alone victory, Charleston Race Week, and more. It's around 20 minutes long, but he gives great information out. Thanks to Brad, and please check out Charleston Race Week - which, at the moment, is looking like a longer regatta than Key West 2008.

Here's the Interview.

Clean,

2 ft+ of snow on my deck this morning. Looking forward to 'watching' some racing today.

A bit foggy here, little early-morning inversion should burn off pretty quickly, then it's sun and light winds, increasing to maybe 11 if we're really lucky. I think we'll go to the PHRFers today first. Any specific requests?

BTW, I still don't have a winner for Ernesto's sign.

Given that Torresen is a Midwestern institution, it's entirely appropriate that we've got a few great interviews with the folks from Melges Performance Sailboats as well as this one from Brian Porter, a real legend in the world of high performance sailing. He talks about his success in the Melges 24 as well as his failures, what it's like to watch your kids get better than you, and the Melges 20, due out very soon.

Thanks to Torresen Marine for the interview.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=72...96540&hl=en

It looks like we are under Ap till noon due to lack of propellent

We are under AP until noon at the earliest---- we will be attempting to get a race in as late as 4pm today---- and are starting an hour earlier tomorrow (0930) to make sure we can get in 2 or 3 races tomorrow.

More videos coming.

Wash - can you explain why the RC sent everyone in yesterday so early? We stayed out and went fishing, and after a short calm, the wind came in from 200 degrees at 6 knots and held by 1:30, at least on the East side. One high-ranking RC member who didn't want his name used said, "I don't see where the harm would have been to wait a bit longer."

As multiple commenters who are actually out there noted, in Annaplis, Santa Barbara, or Lake St. Clair the RC would have gotten a race in easily, at least on Div 3 and 4...

On the other hand, if y'all want to do some real racing with real seabreeze, come to Charleston on April 17th-20th. It's looking like we'll have more races than a week of Key West. http://www.charlestonraceweek.com

While we are waiting lets hear the fish story from yesterday clean?

None of the girls aboard smelled like fish. They smelled like baby powder.

Thanks for the updates Clean and Co.

All of a sudden the steady 7-10 last year looks amazing even if the racing was a bit mundane.

Calling it a day yesterday was a judgement call ---- The weather info and the weather experts on site (out on RC Boats) were very pessimistic about anything filling in that would have been a fair test. In the many years I have been down here when a day like yesterday occurs-- with no real promise of any breeze later-- more often than not after 90 - 120 minutes it is called a day and the sailors are sent in to have an afternoon off in Key West rather than bake in the sun for hours on end.

This year is of course very unusual as we had already lost Monday---- so what happened yesterday was put under a microscope--

Today-- with the weather looking like we can get a race in late and with breeze tomorrow for 2-3 races it will be a save for the week.

Bottom line--- the issue is absolute race quality over quantity-----

It looks like we are under Ap till noon due to lack of propellent

According to a veteran RC member there was talk of not getting today off as well. When I asked what the mood was like he replied "Everybody (RC) is still here". I mentioned it looks like it'll pick up this afternoon and Friday he said "Everybody wants to go home"on friday.

Calling it a day yesterday was a judgement call ---- The weather info and the weather experts on site (out on RC Boats) were very pessimistic about anything filling in that would have been a fair test. In the many years I have been down here when a day like yesterday occurs-- with no real promise of any breeze later-- more often than not after 90 - 120 minutes it is called a day and the sailors are sent in to have an afternoon off in Key West rather than bake in the sun for hours on end.

This year is of course very unusual as we had already lost Monday---- so what happened yesterday was put under a microscope--

Today-- with the weather looking like we can get a race in late and with breeze tomorrow for 2-3 races it will be a save for the week.

Bottom line--- the issue is absolute race quality over quantity-----

Well, thanks for the honesty, Wash. I know it's an experienced bunch that are running things for Premiere, but from a light-air venue sailor's perspective, it didn't make a lot of sense. We're all used to waiting for hours for a breath of wind to get one off. I spoke to two top J/80 sailors and a bunch of top Melges 24 sailors, who all said they could have raced no problem when the abandonment was sounded - the Melgi were doing 4 knots upwind and down. They wondered if the presence of fatassed J/105s on the same course is what led to what, in their words, was a "stupid-ass decision." The other comment was "What the hell else do we have to do but sit out on the water? Did the shoreside vendors call in a chit with the RC or something?"

I think that's a bit off base, but you can certainly understand their frustration with being sent in so early.

Great stuff Clean- Since there was no racing to photograph it was a good call not to leave the cameras idle-very entertaining. Excellent job promoting Chas. Race Week too. Key West is always epic, but, aside from last year's gale on day 3, we always get more races in than yall are getting so far. Hope to see everybody up here in April.

I think we'll go to the PHRFers today first. Any specific requests?

I'd like to see and hear some of the action in the PHRF 4 class, and get some commentary on our home-boys on Mr. Bills Wild Ride. Great program and a long-time crew of some terrific sailors. They did well on Tuesday, coming back from a torn headsail and a parted main halyard on the 1st leg of the 1st race, battling back to finish 7th, and then getting a 1st and a 2nd in the next two races. At this point, any of the top 5 boats in that class are in the hunt, with Bad Girl going 1-2-1, and Pipe Dream XIV, Tangent, and Leading Edge all looking like contenders.

Should be racing worth watching. My 2 cents.

Sounds like a stellar year a KWRW!

A soap opera of AC bullshit- why don’t they just find a way to race- oh ya egos & sailing I forgot.

Seems like a lot of you guys need to rub one out and get over the whole tits and ass thing.

Down to 2 ½ days of racing in five days.

And last but not lest the race committee let’s some cheating prick get away with the oldest trick in the one design book.

This is a great interview with Jesse Rowse, Ryan Finn, and Bry LaRue, talking about the Mini Class in the US, as well as Jesse showing off some of the cool-ass features of one of the neatest little boats ever. Part 2 is posting now, and he explains some more about his boat. These are very cool cats.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=52...31834&hl=en

Yep---- Keeping everyone pleased is a difficult task---- there are boats that were disappointed we did not race on Monday in the breeze as well.

A post-mortem will be done after this week as is done every year by PR---- using feedback from many sources the most important of which are the competitors---- so that things can be tweaked for future KW Race Weeks----

Since Harry Melges and Andy Burdick (Pres and VP of Melges Perf. Sailboats) are frankly really boring interviewees, I got two of the young bucks from Geneva to talk about upcoming stuff on the Melges 20, and other good topics. These are great guys, total SA addicts (too scared to post, of course), and excellent sailors.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5...38269&hl=en

Well, thanks for the honesty, Wash. I know it's an experienced bunch that are running things for Premiere, but from a light-air venue sailor's perspective, it didn't make a lot of sense. We're all used to waiting for hours for a breath of wind to get one off. I spoke to two top J/80 sailors and a bunch of top Melges 24 sailors, who all said they could have raced no problem when the abandonment was sounded - the Melgi were doing 4 knots upwind and down. They wondered if the presence of fatassed J/105s on the same course is what led to what, in their words, was a "stupid-ass decision." The other comment was "What the hell else do we have to do but sit out on the water? Did the shoreside vendors call in a chit with the RC or something?"

I think that's a bit off base, but you can certainly understand their frustration with being sent in so early.

Up here in LIS 4 knots upwind and down we would have raced....not to mention all the $$$$$ and time put up and aside to get everyone down there? :blink:

Up here in LIS 4 knots upwind and down we would have raced....not to mention all the $$$$$ and time put up and aside to get everyone down there? :blink:

Yes and you would call that a race. That is why your area produces some of the worst sailors in the world. I see Philo and his pals on Nimbus are really representing you WLIS sailors well. You must be proud!

We'll start a race in Detroit as long as we can clear the line before the next start.

Of course it's all relative. I've heard they won't start a race in some places in Europe in 8-10 knots.

Yep---- Keeping everyone pleased is a difficult task---- there are boats that were disappointed we did not race on Monday in the breeze as well.

A post-mortem will be done after this week as is done every year by PR---- using feedback from many sources the most important of which are the competitors---- so that things can be tweaked for future KW Race Weeks----

Number of entries:

2002: 321

2003: 290

2004: 302

2005: 297 boats

2006: 287

2007: 270

2008: 260

2009: ???????????????????

Mer is uploading a bunch more pics as we speak so you have something to look at from the racing that has happened thus far.

Yes and you would call that a race. That is why your area produces some of the worst sailors in the world. I see Philo and his pals on Nimbus are really representing you WLIS sailors well. You must be proud!

Gee, I thought you were from WLIS as well?

The excellent Kattack seminar with top tacticians discussing tactical decisions using the Kattack Race Player is now all up. I didn't get the whole thing, but there's a lot of it.

Since you have nothing better to do, why not click on the logo at the top of the page and order some new rigging at 25% off for Anarchists? A quick note to our European friends as well - tell your sailing pals that ordering rigging from Torresen will likely save them almost 50%, even after duties and delivery costs. Composite rigging as well as standard wire and rod. Thanks to BT and his team for a great job and great support of sailing in the Midwest and around the world.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

A bit foggy here, little early-morning inversion should burn off pretty quickly, then it's sun and light winds, increasing to maybe 11 if we're really lucky. I think we'll go to the PHRFers today first. Any specific requests?

Ernesto's sign .... Asshatarius? Must have missed something - what's that about?

Keep up the good work Clean.

Clean-- A good correlation with the leading financial averages and economic indicators---- :)

Hey, as long as Charleston Race Week's participation continues to set participation records every year, I'll be happy. We'd love you to come up and see us as well, Steve.

According to one Premiere official, if it weren't for the weak dollar and the corresponding interest from Euro teams who are getting a bargain here, PR would be in a world of hurt right now.

Clean-- A good correlation with the leading financial averages and economic indicators---- :)

Wash - Very true! It won't be long before this is just like Miami, invite for the big boys only.

Wash - Very true! It won't be long before this is just like Miami, invite for the big boys only.

Meanwhile, the party of the week was not the SA party but the Melges Rocks party last night. Why? 'Cause the small boat sailors party harder.

This is a great interview with Jesse Rowse, Ryan Finn, and Bry LaRue, talking about the Mini Class in the US, as well as Jesse showing off some of the cool-ass features of one of the neatest little boats ever. Part 2 is posting now, and he explains some more about his boat. These are very cool cats.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=52...31834&hl=en

Great vid Clean. I simply love Jesse's big black pole. Thanks for the good work.

Feeling some breeze at the hotel beach. I think we'll head over pretty soon and anchor in the harbor. ZAR, be there by 11:30, k?

This is a great interview with Jesse Rowse, Ryan Finn, and Bry LaRue,

Al, were you able to piece together the part of your press conference vid where you ask "Cap'n Ernie" the pointed questions?

We want that!!!!!!!!! Want it BAD!!

:lol:

Here's an idea, ...we'll have a bulshit Wind-esque press conference

"Damn it, I came here to race....we are throwing out the rules!" we do the whole regatta on Protectors.

we can do classes based on total horsepower, better still, the owners total net worth.. Under $50m,illiom (basicly, the protector equilivent to JAM) 50-100 million and unlimited class...

just trying to help

Al, were you able to piece together the part of your press conference vid where you ask "Cap'n Ernie" the pointed questions?

We want that!!!!!!!!! Want it BAD!!

No, but I'm writing it up now.

nobody cares how you do it up north.

There is nothing out here now -- even worse than yesterday. Must have been more wind on the M24 course than we had for the Swan 42s since after they blew it off we weren't going more than 2 kts upwind or downwind. We stayed out to practice for an hour after it was blown off and the abandonment was a good call -- it was really painful out there.

As I said earlier today, "this is the worst Block Island Race Week I've ever been to" -- let alone KWRW. That being said, there are far worse places in the world to be stuck shoreside...

RC just got on the radio and is keeping the AP up, though they insist they'll try to get off a late race today and postpone the festivities at the tent if need be. Start time for tomorrow has been moved up an hour.

Here's an idea, ...we'll have a bulshit Wind-esque press conference

"Damn it, I came here to race....we are throwing out the rules!" we do the whole regatta on Protectors.

we can do classes based on total horsepower, better still, the owners total net worth.. Under $50m,illiom (basicly, the protector equilivent to JAM) 50-100 million and unlimited class...

just trying to help

My message box if full...let me explain, the Protector/net worth rating is computed from your assets when YOU LEFT HOME....not based on current market conditions...based on that we would need a huge negitave asset class

Dave Brennan wants 5 knots or better from roughly the same direction on both sides and from top to bottom on the course. There can be velocity differences and shifts, but the velocity needs to be 5 or better.

That does make for reasonable racing.

I'm not worried. Just girding my loins for the excitement to come.

Best light air joke- What did the snail say riding on the turtle's back?

Weeeeeeeeeee!

We'll make it exciting. Trust me.

Clean, where can we find the latest pics, do you have a link? Any update on the breeze or is it still looking like a crapshoot?

Since EB has this 'Vision' thing for the AC, how about:

DAMN YOUR EYES!!

Kinda Young Frankenstein style.

And you can add whatever deragatory pictures, sketch's as needed.

Right now the Sand Key Bouy is registering 4kts and we are watching the flags start to flutter here on Charter Boat Row.

The soonest the AP flag can come down is in 8 minutes ~ Hopefully the RC gives the green lights and maybe we can get a few off today.

TIME WILL TELL

Dave Brennan wants 5 knots or better from roughly the same direction on both sides and from top to bottom on the course. There can be velocity differences and shifts, but the velocity needs to be 5 or better.

That does make for reasonable racing.

I reckon he's got the local knowledge to go with that sort of expectation...but if yesterday is any indication, Brennan is going to be hard pressed to get any consistency in wind direction when the forecast is for light and variable winds. Hopefully, the winds will pick up in this afternoon. But I think the RC is going to have to use its best judgment on the course and get things going while the going is good. I don't think beggars should be choosers.

Yes I am a newbie and no I don't know how to post a link but on Jobson's site there is an interview of Cayard and EB talking about the AC. EB thinks that there are no other American AC boats b/c they are scared of Ellison.

whar channel will they announce on?

Yes I am a newbie and no I don't know how to post a link but on Jobson's site there is an interview of Cayard and EB talking about the AC. EB thinks that there are no other American AC boats b/c they are scared of Ellison.

Robaltina,

Duck and cover!

Carbon

SPY REPORT:

DIV 2 AP FLAG IS DOWN!

Numbers is packed up tight with crew seen walking in direction opposite to the boat...No Boat captain present...WTF!!!

whar channel will they announce on?

ZAR GET YER ASS TO THE BOAT IF YOU WANT A RIDE!!!!

ntital wind readings on Division 2 are 6 kts from 320- good news-- Have fun over here-- going back to my other job---

Boys from Numbers are starting to show up ~ and there is 7kts registering at Sand Key.

There has been wind building for quite some time now and it is really disheartening how the RC is handling these uncertain conditions...They should have sent them out as the light winds build so when it hits the magic number they can get them into a sequence.

Boys from Numbers are starting to show up ~ and there is 7kts registering at Sand Key.

There has been wind building for quite some time now and it is really disheartening how the RC is handling these uncertain conditions...They should have sent them out as the light winds build so when it hits the magic number they can get them into a sequence.

If they don't get at least 2-3 races in today--this KWRW is a total joke.

I hope Peter Craig is not expecting participation to grow anytime soon.

I opted to go to the Heineken in St Maarten in March--looks like a great call!

Thanks "Bump and Grind" ----I owe you one

HTF can you choose your weather?

Any specific requests?

Yea, Corsairs and the Esses. All day, all the time.

Ernesto and POD. Perfect together. If they sink.

Ya - the foods better to man (french) manybe it will be pitman 280 come sailing season.

What's up twin.

HTF can you choose your weather?

You can't choose your weather--but I did my first KWRW in 1990--have gone at least 12 times over the last 18 years. It has become more and more expensive every year. The one thing I have learned, however, is that the breeze in Key West is inconsistent at best--either too much or too little (according to Peter C and the Premiere braintrust).

At least in the West Indies the trade winds are dependable--if I'm going to spend my hard earned dollars to sail--and my vacation time to race--I want to be sure that racing wil happen.

Besides--St. Maarten v. Key West????--No contest

If you had ever been there you would know St Maarten has had days of no racing too

I'm sure--but much less likely--(I have been there by the way)

You can't choose your weather--but I did my first KWRW in 1990--have gone at least 12 times over the last 18 years. It has become more and more expensive every year. The one thing I have learned, however, is that the breeze in Key West is inconsistent at best--either too much or too little (according to Peter C and the Premiere braintrust).

At least in the West Indies the trade winds are dependable--if I'm going to spend my hard earned dollars to sail--and my vacation time to race--I want to be sure that racing wil happen.

I thought you were going becuase the dollar was strong. That way you can get a lot more food for the same price.

I beg to differ, the competition in Key West is twice as good, nobody can predict the weather, that is part of sailboat racing. Besides, who wants to race bareboats?

I've haven't missed an Easter E-Scow regatta in Charleston in 5 years ~ You can always count on a sea breeze, and if you do your pre-race homework you can always make up huge with that wacky current they have there...and its on the Mainland

If the RCs were equipped to start individual classes for each course, half the classes might have 4 or 5 races in. Plenty of PHRF guys with sails that reef had no trouble in 30-35. The Melgi and J/80s would have raced yesterday.

Anyone know the P-R rules on this?