Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AST69

Farr 81 Sayonara

Was in Holland MI couple summers ago sailing at the Macatawa Bay yacht club and saw Sayonara the Farr 81 in a shed at Eldeans Shipyard.

Is it still sitting there?Who owns it now and are they planing on doing anything with it?

Was in Holland MI couple summers ago sailing at the Macatawa Bay yacht club and saw Sayonara the Farr 81 in a shed at Eldeans Shipyard.

Is it still sitting there?Who owns it now and are they planing on doing anything with it?

Pretty sure it's still there. Ellison still owns it, he's just been distracted, so to speak. Don't know of any plans for it.

Would be sweet to see back sailing, but that's a lot of boat for weekend warrior types. See thread on the Sorcery noobs.

haha yea i was there sailing the s2 7.9 nationals..Wanted to make a trade right then but i figured there was no possibly way of gettin that thing out without anybody noticing..thanks guys

Isn't it still pretty busted up from the Sydney to Hobart Race a few years ago?

Isn't it still pretty busted up from the Sydney to Hobart Race a few years ago?

No.

And I have been feeling bad because I have a Victoria RC collecting dust in my garage......

Talk about living in two different worlds. I couldn't imagine having an 81' Farr racing machine sitting in storage for a couple years like it's no big deal....

Seems like Great Lakes YC's are becoming graveyards/storage areas for past-gen maxis (eg: Genuine Risk at Bayview Marina, Sarnia).

And I have been feeling bad because I have a Victoria RC collecting dust in my garage......

Talk about living in two different worlds. I couldn't imagine having an 81' Farr racing machine sitting in storage for a couple years like it's no big deal....

No shit. The old girl sitting in a shed must be way faster and more fun than the IACC pigs he's been funding lately.

Of course, Larry might ascared of the boat following the '98 Syd-Hob. I saw the boat do the Chi-Mac in 2000, was the last time it sailed?

No shit. The old girl sitting in a shed must be way faster and more fun than the IACC pigs he's been funding lately.

Of course, Larry might ascared of the boat following the '98 Syd-Hob. I saw the boat do the Chi-Mac in 2000, was the last time it sailed?

Yes

Seems like Great Lakes YC's are becoming graveyards/storage areas for past-gen maxis (eg: Genuine Risk at Bayview Marina, Sarnia).

One of these 2 is goning to be moving soon.

One of these 2 is goning to be moving soon.

I'd bet on it not being Risk.

Where is GR going?

Also of interest, why is Genuine Risk in Sarnia ie: outside US borders ? Rumor I heard was somthing about IRS tax implications necessitating it being out of US waters but that's only a rumor.

Anyone know more ?

Owner is from W. michigan, Sarnia Ontario seems an unlikely place for this boat to sit as there is no racing other than PH-Mackinac race that would be reasonably likely for this boat in the future. Additionally, no likely buyers in that neighborhood. I don't get it.

You should. That things belongs to the dumpster :P

i am working in eldines at the moment on my boss s boat and yes sayonara is still sitting in the corner of the building where she has been since the chicago mac race in 2000???. she look in pretty good shape the guys in the yard clean her every cuople of months to remove dust etc .her keel is outside and her mast is all wrapped up

genuine risk is registered to do the mac race this year so she will be sailing again

Also of interest, why is Genuine Risk in Sarnia ie: outside US borders ? Rumor I heard was somthing about IRS tax implications necessitating it being out of US waters but that's only a rumor.

Anyone know more ?

Owner is from W. michigan, Sarnia Ontario seems an unlikely place for this boat to sit as there is no racing other than PH-Mackinac race that would be reasonably likely for this boat in the future. Additionally, no likely buyers in that neighborhood. I don't get it.

Could be as simple as the cheapest place to store a yacht of that size for an extended period... or it may have seemed that way until the CDN$ strengthend to equal the US$.

Could be as simple as the cheapest place to store a yacht of that size for an extended period...

Just like Sayo's location..... oh wait.....

Anyone know more ?

GRs reg is Caymen Islands so she had to leave the US. Good riddance.

Anyone know more ?

I was under the impression a few years back she came in to do Mac's again and Sarnia was the deepest (and only)place around Detroit to launch her, came in on truck and program never came back together still sitting on the hard waiting for the proper motivation to get back in the water.

I hope to see her on the line for NPT - BDA and the Chi Mac.

Regards

Just like Sayo's location..... oh wait.....

What, Holland MI not cheap n cheerful? Thought it was.

Splain!

What, Holland MI not cheap n cheerful? Thought it was.

Splain!

Great place to live, sail, work, etc.... But I would bet that LE is spending an amount equal to the GDP of several small countries combined. My guess is that he is being charged cubicly (sp) for not only the hull, but the containers, keel, mast etc that is scattered about the yard at the marina. Not cheap at all.

Great place to live, sail, work, etc.... But I would bet that LE is spending an amount equal to the GDP of several small countries combined. My guess is that he is being charged cubicly (sp) for not only the hull, but the containers, keel, mast etc that is scattered about the yard at the marina. Not cheap at all.

I know what we paid having Denali there. Eldean's is a beautiful marina, great boatyard, and good people, but cheap it is not. I could live well for what LE is paying for heated indoor storage for the last 7-8 years.

I know what we paid having Denali there. Eldean's is a beautiful marina, great boatyard, and good people, but cheap it is not. I could live well for what LE is paying for heated indoor storage for the last 7-8 years.

I was in the shed and on Sayonara last Summer. She is clean, warm and dry, with carbon fibre rig, boom etc, all stored right along side her. There is what appears to be a custom-made-for-her staircase and platform to access her. the Hull is shiny, and everything in and out is well cared for her. Looks like they could set her up and race her without much to do... of course the Keel is off and they might take some cosmetic tlc to patch her up, but nothing unusual for a boat that size. I've been keeping an eye on her for the past several years there, (race out of MBYC wednesday nights) Each time I have been there she has been the only boat in the building, with plenty of room for others. Perhaps they load it up for Winter Storage, but I have only witnessed her in there alone. Eldeans is NOT a CHEAP place to slip or store.

-SD

I doubt a guy who's net worth is ~ $20Bill worries about paying even 100G's/year to store and clean a boat - it's the proverbial fly on his cash-flow windshield...

Could be as simple as the cheapest place to store a yacht of that size for an extended period... or it may have seemed that way until the CDN$ strengthend to equal the US$.

I'm not so sure the CDN $ moved at all. It was simply the US $ tanking against most currencies.

Think he would charter to a bunch of anarchists for Mac? Hell, we would even let him sail with us..

There was an interest in chartering the first or second year it was in storage (2001?).

By the time you put the boat together, paid a minimum number of his crew (eight if I recall) to fly in and sail, then paid to have it hauled and stored, the figure tossed about was ~$125K six or seven years ago (for just the Chi-Mac).

The sails have been folded up and stored under the boat during it's dormancy ... It's unlikely they're 'fresh' (although they're probably usable, provided the mice haven't made bulletproof turds out of them).

The above figures left me with the impression that LE really didn't want his baby messed with!

Haz

why is the main so damn short?

Good question. Maybe its a delivery sail (kinda odd with that many crew).

could be...

I've always believed that all booms should be like those on the J's, and extend past the stern

There was an interest in chartering the first or second year it was in storage (2001?).

By the time you put the boat together, paid a minimum number of his crew (eight if I recall) to fly in and sail, then paid to have it hauled and stored, the figure tossed about was ~$125K six or seven years ago (for just the Chi-Mac).

The sails have been folded up and stored under the boat during it's dormancy ... It's unlikely they're 'fresh' (although they're probably usable, provided the mice haven't made bulletproof turds out of them).

The above figures left me with the impression that LE really didn't want his baby messed with!

Haz

Eldean's people claim LE is not interested in selling or chartering.

Maybe he wants to bring her back for 10th anniversary of '98 Syd-Hob..........

I doubt a guy who's net worth is ~ $20Bill worries about paying even 100G's/year to store and clean a boat - it's the proverbial fly on his cash-flow windshield...

I understand that. Ronin, his 197' toy was next to me in Chula Vista for months getting a refit into the 7 figures. All the while spending God knows how much on the AC and his new 300+ footer. I was just pointing out she was not at Eldeans because it was cheap, as was hypothesized.

Ah the Oracle NC - Network Computer.

Remember setting up a demo of the next big thing - that sure died a quick death.

well I would assume that all those charges are mitigated by three things:

Better resale value when it ultimately happens

Less start up costs to get her back on the water if he chooses to, the old "An ounce of prevention thing". Just think of the cost of refreshing the paint job alone if it were left for years in the sun just baking.

Finally one might presume slightly lowered insurance costs as well, knowing there is eyes on the boat all the time.

B

I doubt the boat will ever race again. Larry's ego requires him to compete at the top of the sport. This boat is not competitive in regattas against 100 foot canters. I doubt he is interested in winning on handicap.

I also don't think he'll sell it. He strikes me as the kid who would not give away his toys after he is done playing with them.

I also don't think he'll sell it. He strikes me as the kid who would not give away his toys after he is done playing with them.

As soon as he finished his new huge yacht he had to put it up for sale according to one of the superyacht magazines over some huge court case against him. He was unavailable for comment.

:lol:

why is the main so damn short?

From the Farr Yacht design web site(http://www.farrdesign.com/323.htm):

The requirements for Transpac, a reach and run type race, are quite different from typical round-the-buoys racing, and it was a real challenge to produce a single boat that could do well under both formats.

To meet this challenge, SAYONARA has a hull design a little narrower than might be expected for round-the-buoys sailing and is long by ILC MAXI standards to suit the heavy air San Francisco conditions and the moderate air reaching and

running in Transpac. She employs two quite different configurations of displacement and sail plan for the two events.

In Big Boat trim, she displaces 24.4 tons. Her carbon construction and deep bulb keel produce very high stability, and she carries a conventional fractional rig with fractional spinnakers for strong upwind and all-round performance.

For Transpac, her nearly 3 tons of internal ballast is removed and a smaller mainsail fitted, along with much larger near-masthead spinnakers. This orients the boat's performance downwind and as close as possible to the ILC MAXI performance limits reaching and running in 10 and 20 knot winds.

They actually talk about having 2 different keel/rudder combos to help maximise performance......Must be nice.

Looks like it's a delivery/practice sail. Hell, it looks to be an OLD version of the UK Tape Drive (wide tapes, and fewer of them). Based on the fact that the crew is not all decked out in matching Sayonara garb, it's definitely a "wed night" situation.

I'm not so sure the CDN $ moved at all. It was simply the US $ tanking against most currencies.

Ya, fair call. Same thing happened with the Singapore$ here... and the Euro and Sterling and on and on.

All depends on your perspective. From the shores of Lake Huron (on the Sarnia side) it would feel like the CDN$ was strengthening though.

Looks like it's a delivery/practice sail. Hell, it looks to be an OLD version of the UK Tape Drive (wide tapes, and fewer of them). Based on the fact that the crew is not all decked out in matching Sayonara garb, it's definitely a "wed night" situation.

That main looks like an early north 3DL...curved kevlar tapes at the stress loan points. How old is that boat?

load... sorry

Designed and Built in 1995 I think

That main looks like an early north 3DL...curved kevlar tapes at the stress loan points. How old is that boat?

No - no way a 3DL - even an earlier one. 3DL always had many smaller yarns laid out in the load bearing catenary shape, whereas UK Tape Drive had fewer very wide one (tapes... not individual yarns/fibers). The sail in the photo clearly has such large tapes. Also, the horiznatl broadseaming is very evident, whereas in a 3DL it was there, but harder to discern.

I'd bet the sail is from some other boat, in fact, and was bought and used as a delivery/practice sail.

Looks like it's a delivery/practice sail. Hell, it looks to be an OLD version of the UK Tape Drive (wide tapes, and fewer of them).

Definitely old Tape Drive. Definitely a delivery main -- short on the hoist (and hence short on the foot) so that it can be gybed under the runners. Probably from another boat.

Definitely old Tape Drive. Definitely a delivery main -- short on the hoist (and hence short on the foot) so that it can be gybed under the runners. Probably from another boat.

I disagree look at my previous post about the design specs. While it is definitely an old sail I think it was designed for the boat. Also look at the hydraulic ram for the outhaul in that pic it looks to be placed perfectly for that clew.

I disagree look at my previous post about the design specs. While it is definitely an old sail I think it was designed for the boat. Also look at the hydraulic ram for the outhaul in that pic it looks to be placed perfectly for that clew.

I am sure the original hydrolic outhauls actually pushed the sail out, nut pulled it out. It looks short on foot to me. But at the end of the day does it reslly matter? That sail is probably in that big old sail loft in the sky by now (or if it was a tape drive probably rotting elsewere)!!

I thought Sayo was only 75 feet? Has she been extended at some stage?

It is the LE effect. The boat actually is 75 feet, however when LE steps onboard, it's ego sympathetically extends itself to 80 feet to match his.

If it can be gybed under the runners, why is the starboard runner slack?

If it is in delivery configuration where the main is gybed under the runners, the check stays would have been disconnected from the runners and both runners would on no matter which gybe. Not the case here.

Found this photo of Sayonara doing sail trials on Sydney Harbour 24 12 1998. I was on my honeymoon at the time and Mrs S and I were on our way back to the CYCA from lunch at Doyles in Watsons Bay when we found ourselves right alongside Sayonara.

Just about the only other boat in sight was a little Sth Australian yacht called StandAside that was later lost in the horrific Hobart of that year.

post-449-1202876832_thumb.jpg

Found this photo of Sayonara doing sail trials on Sydney Harbour 24 12 1998. I was on my honeymoon at the time and Mrs S and I were on our way back to the CYCA from lunch at Doyles in Watsons Bay when we found ourselves right alongside Sayonara.

Just about the only other boat in sight was a little Sth Australian yacht called StandAside that was later lost in the horrific Hobart of that year.

Was Larry there?

~Play~

If it is in delivery configuration where the main is gybed under the runners, the check stays would have been disconnected from the runners and both runners would on no matter which gybe. Not the case here.

Good point about the checkstays. You can't gybe the main through the checkstays. Doesn't change the fact that it is a delivery main.

Hey Sporty, I was there that day too. Most memorable event that afternoon was the presence on the dock of the stunningly beautiful Sarah O'Hare waiting for her new hubby Lachlan Murdoch who was doing the Hobart on Sayonara. I think the entire marina arm was in danger of sinking with all the B/Ns etc sniffing around that gorgeous piece of bint. It was funny to watch them all disperse quickly as Sayonara came motoring into view. The power of $$$!

Hey Sporty, I was there that day too. Most memorable event that afternoon was the presence on the dock of the stunningly beautiful Sarah O'Hare waiting for her new hubby Lachlan Murdoch who was doing the Hobart on Sayonara. I think the entire marina arm was in danger of sinking with all the B/Ns etc sniffing around that gorgeous piece of bint. It was funny to watch them all disperse quickly as Sayonara came motoring into view. The power of $$$!

See Sarah Here

I was in the shed and on Sayonara last Summer. She is clean, warm and dry,

Well she's still warm and dry, but clean ? Well she didn't look that way yesterday... What will EVER become of this thing, after now 10 YEARS in storage ?

post-535-052925300 1288706086_thumb.jpg

While most of us cant fathom leaving an 80-footer sitting in a shed and what the costs of year round heated storage must be. To Larry, this is the same as you or me dropping a nickel behind the couch. He buys tons of materialistic things around the globe and moves onto the next thing. It's not worth his time to dispose of these things. Just like getting that nickel from behind your couch.

Here in western MI, we look after our nickles... and pennies... which is why this is just so strange. In the end, what can become of this boat? Too old to be of interest to "big money" programs, too big to be of interest to "budget" programs. And not enough aluminum to be of interest to our local scrap dealers...

LE experienced the '98 race on her and maybe in return for getting him to shore with his life he's decided to let the old girl just live on in relative (though sadly unused) comfort. Would be a twist for a shrewd corporate raider of his caliber but he wouldn't be the first man to have an emotional and irrational attachment to his boat.

Not to hijack this thread but years ago I remember a 60' BOC(?) boat sitting at Bayview, always wondered how it ended up in Sarnia.

LE experienced the '98 race on her and maybe in return for getting him to shore with his life he's decided to let the old girl just live on in relative (though sadly unused) comfort. Would be a twist for a shrewd corporate raider of his caliber but he wouldn't be the first man to have an emotional and irrational attachment to his boat.

"Rosebud...."

Rosebud

edit - Damn, I should have read all the way down before replying.

Just for grins I have pissed on her keel.

I am betting he will never get rid of it. Herb will sit back and happily collect the inside heated year round storage check for ever from him, no clue what he charges square footage for these days but betting its a couple grand in his pocket each year. LE could care less the man has a history of not selling his toys short of his mega power yacht rising sun, which as far as I know still hasn't sold, and rumor has it he is only selling it because it has to pull up at the commercial port and not the pleasure docks because it is to big to fit in those spots. Personally I say thank you LE for doing a little bit of helping out the local west michigan economy

I am betting he will never get rid of it. Herb will sit back and happily collect the inside heated year round storage check for ever from him, no clue what he charges square footage for these days but betting its a couple grand in his pocket each year. LE could care less the man has a history of not selling his toys short of his mega power yacht rising sun, which as far as I know still hasn't sold, and rumor has it he is only selling it because it has to pull up at the commercial port and not the pleasure docks because it is to big to fit in those spots. Personally I say thank you LE for doing a little bit of helping out the local west michigan economy

You thinking about building a heated shed and asking if LE wants to store it in the Mid-Atlantic instead? :)

-M

Well she's still warm and dry, but clean ? Well she didn't look that way yesterday... What will EVER become of this thing, after now 10 YEARS in storage ?

That is indeed a sorry sight. Stripped bare and left alone. Hate it when owners do shit like this.

At least donate it to a school for cryin' out loud! Most schools probably wouldn't welcome the cash-black-hole that comes with it though.

Just out of morbid interest...Where's the rig?

[sNIP]

Just out of morbid interest...Where's the rig?

Sitting right next to the boat the last time I checked, but was a while ago.

LE has sold Rising Sun to his partner.

He has a new boat about to be launched.

LE has sold Rising Sun to his partner.

He has a new boat about to be launched.

i guess my last post got lost or i couldnt figure out the internet but LE has sold hos share in rising sun and his new 88 meter is launching rwal soon

What's the story?

She left to go back to California on 3 trucks mast on 1 keel and cradle and boat on the third. I sent clean some photos as I can't figure out how to upload them .

She is going into storage there for the time being

maybe to take sponsors out on for AC? wierd to up and move it out of storage to store it.

What's the story?

She left to go back to California on 3 trucks mast on 1 keel and cradle and boat on the third. I sent clean some photos as I can't figure out how to upload them .

She is going into storage there for the time being

Heading to San Fran to sit on the Pier. Not sure which one, but would sure look tiny next to DogZilla!

Screen shot 2011-11-09 at 5.52.48 PM.png

Larry is selling his estate in Woodside, CA for a cool $25M or so. Looks like he'll need a place to stay...

didnt they break the mast shipping it out here or was that anther big boat going into holland? I am guessing AC related as indoor storage with Herb may be pricey by holland standards but I am betting dirt cheap buy SF standards. If it is going on display thats the best thing that could have happened to the boat given how bad off she was from her last run on lake michigan

didnt they break the mast shipping it out here or was that anther big boat going into holland? I am guessing AC related as indoor storage with Herb may be pricey by holland standards but I am betting dirt cheap buy SF standards. If it is going on display thats the best thing that could have happened to the boat given how bad off she was from her last run on lake michigan

No that was not Sayonara that broke the mast it was Genuine Risk