Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coiler

Jack Sutphen

Not a bad piece for Bill Center. Man what a guy he is. I remember the first time I went into Larchmont YC. I think every trophy and pickle dish in that club had Jack's (John Sutphen) name on it! B)

What a competitor! The time I got to spend with him on the 12's here in SD are priceless. Lessons learned under Jack are never forgotten. He really is the one that deserves a lot of credit for the great team put together for the '87 Cup. The way he pushed DC around the course was a big reason for the victory in Freo.

I count him at the top of my "glad to have the honor to have met them" list! ;)

Cheers,

KG

He is one class act!

Jack is truly one of the greats. Happy memories of when the new Holland carbon-built Kialoa IV was launched and had been working up for a while in Florida. The old alloy S&S K-III turned up, and we put a minimum walk-up crew aboard her, with Jack driving, to give the new 'super-maxi' some speed benchmarks. Jack extracted such speed from the old boat that we were angrily told to back off before embarrasing everybody.

And in the 84 Big Boat Series, I invited Jack to drive the Farr 59 Orlanda I was on at the time. This boat was like a huge frac one-tonner, so as different from a 12 meter as night from day. On the practice day, Jack got us to tack repeatedly so he could try several styles of steering the boat through the tack, to see which technique lost least speed. Once he was satisfied with his best method, which amazingly seemed to lose only about a 1/2 knot, he repeated that style every single tack for the rest of the week.

A fine memory during the second race - Jack was wearing a reflective and secret smile. On being asked why, he said quietly that this was a good day, as it marked the 50th anniversary of the first yacht race he'd won.

Always a giver - his told me that greatest sailing pleasure has been teaching SDYC kids to sail Oppies.

If you ever get a chance to sail with Jack, just do it.

RIP Jack Sutphen - At the office...

post-50798-0-06341600-1365341409_thumb.jpg

post-50798-0-96309800-1365341422_thumb.jpg

One more - Freedom, 1980 Americas Cup

post-50798-0-23220600-1365341785_thumb.jpg

I only knew him a little bit, but, boy, was he the nicest guy - and in a boat race, you just couldn't beat him. He will be missed. Fair Winds Jack..

Saddened to hear of his passing. Jack gave me good advice and perhaps I should have listened and followed it more. He was a primary reason for my being part of the team in Fremantle, 26 years ago, and always friendly and grateful for the efforts of every person that made up the team. We all liked and respected him. I have a favorite photo of him at the helm of the trial-horse on the water on Gage Roads on the bulkhead of my boat. I shall miss him. John Heckel

I was saddened to hear the passing of Capt. Jack, what a great sailor he was but more important what a great role model he was to aspiring sailors like me.

Always cherished the couple of evenings we got to spend sitting in our slip on our Catalina 36 with Mr. Sutphen. Told us stories that even kept the kids listening and wanting more. He always got off the boat when the rum ran out. So, started stocking more and better rum on board.

Fair Winds Jack.

A Real LADIES Man :)

09SDYCOD906.JPG

09SDYCOD907.JPG