Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreenBowman

J80

so I'm doing a J80 event this weekend in light conditions (if wind guru is to be trusted), first time in the boat for the 5 of us and it is a symmetrical kite setup, can any hotshots fire out any boat specific tips to keep her lit, cheers as always, cathal

A J80 with symm kite and 5 people? Bring beer. ;)

Kick off 1 or 2 people, then foot foot and foot some more.

i hear its really fast if you put the kite up sideways :ph34r:

..or you can just follow us.

i noticed the j80 jobson covered on espn2 sailed with 5 as well. i thought people sailed those things with 3.

5 people, but if you don't pull tackline, your gonna wipeout, not the vang like the kid said... geez

i noticed the j80 jobson covered on espn2 sailed with 5 as well. i thought people sailed those things with 3.

5 people, but if you don't pull tackline, your gonna wipeout, not the vang like the kid said... geez

well the normal weight limit is 338.6 which would be 4 bigish guys

the weigh limit for our event is 350, since we're sailing symetrical an extra set of hands is going to be pretty useful. and we have to carry a girl (and we all know girls are useless :ph34r: ) so 5 people is the only way to make the weight limit. wish it was 360 though because i've been on a crash diet for the last 2 weeks and its still touch and go as to whether we weigh in!

Hey Cathal, Check out the North OD or Quantum websites for tuning guides. Be sure to stay in the breeze on Lough Derg. If it gets light you can get a lot of big holes.

Nin will be hard to beat.

Hey Cathal, Check out the North OD or Quantum websites for tuning guides. Be sure to stay in the breeze on Lough Derg. If it gets light you can get a lot of big holes.

You have to check out UK, and Kerry Klinger's tuning guide. I seem to recall that he's the J80 guru.

i've been spreading a smear campaign against nin so all the other teams will gang up on him and then we'll b free to sail our own race!!

Light breeze sailing with 5 and a symetric kite - making a J/80 fly? This thread makes zero sense.

Light breeze sailing with 5 and a symetric kite - making a J/80 fly? This thread makes zero sense.

:lol::lol::lol:

Ditto!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Ditto!!

Might I suggest you guys keep it on the trailer and just tow it up and down the beach?

Word.

Ya the boats are supplied by the OA with no guard rails, so not much in the way of hiking, we're probably bumpin one off, but with spinnaker wouldn't get away with anyless,

That's the way the J80's are frequenty set up for match racing in the UK - no gaurd rails and symetric kites

Ya the boats are supplied by the OA with no guard rails, so not much in the way of hiking, we're probably bumpin one off, but with spinnaker wouldn't get away with anyless,

You definitely would get away with one less.

Driver takes main, one on jib, one spare body forward.

On the hoist, the bowman does pole then hoists, middle takes the kite sheets.

As long as the breeze is light, drops won't be a problem either. I've had to sail the RYA 80s 3 up when a crew member was ill and its fine.

It is however quite harsh to ditch someone. So depends how ruthless you are really.

You could put it on an airplane......

To expensive. Put it on a trailer and pull. I bet you could get it up to 80 MPH