Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

killeryAgainMan

In the dumb thing to say department.

You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them...And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

I guess Obama isn't expecting many votes from the Mid West. Maybe this plays well to uptight, God, Guns and America hating Democrats...

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

Sounds about right to me.. he's a sharp guy.

You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them...And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

I guess Obama isn't expecting many votes from the Mid West. Maybe this plays well to uptight, God, Guns and America hating Democrats...

"Dumb Things to Say Department"

You're the Chair then, eh? It certainly explains your volume of productivity out here.

Maybe this plays well to uptight, God, Guns and America hating Democrats...

Are you going to favor us with your own unique definition of "Democrats" now?

"Dumb Things to Say Department"

You're the Chair then, eh? It certainly explains your volume of productivity out here.

Ah I see you are divining again. How spiritual of you.

See Wabbiteer.

Synonyms Hypocrite, whiner, mentally challenged.

Its ok, at least Hitlery has the answer. Give them jobs, and put the rest in jail...

WASHINGTON -- New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, campaigning for president in a neighborhood of Philadelphia so rough the mayor said, "Osama bin Laden wouldn't last here," pitched a $4-billion-a-year anti-crime package today that would put 100,000 new police officers on the streets and help stem the tide of repeat offenders back into the country's prisons.

That really is a very condescending thing for him to say. That shit won’t play in Peoria.

Did I call you Slimey? When?

No. I saw "Hypocrite", "whiner", "mentally challenged" though.

That is name calling to just about everyone here. Maybe you and Carl should huddle real quick and come up with a different term. Maybe make it sound like it was a nice thing to say. Get creative again. I could use the entertainment.

Ben

That is name calling to just about everyone here. Maybe you and Carl should huddle real quick and come up with a different term. Maybe make it sound like it was a nice thing to say. Get creative again. I could use the entertainment.

Ben

I think they refer to name calling as "false villification (sic)." in the catamoronic rightwing noise machine alternate universe dictionary..

Ben

I called Round the bouys "Hypocrite", "whiner", "mentally challenged"? That's odd. Those sound more like a Wabiteer to me.

I called Round the bouys "Hypocrite", "whiner", "mentally challenged"? That's odd. Those sound more like a Wabiteer to me.

I didn't say you called Round the buoys those names. You expressed dismay at "name calling" after having used the terms above.

I had asked you if those terms could be defined as "name calling". Perhaps it is not name calling when directed at Wabiteer. I can only speculate as I doubt you will have an answer.

Ben

That really is a very condescending thing for him to say. That shit won’t play in Peoria.

"Hypocrite, whiner, mentally challenged" won't play in Peoria?

Ben

I didn't say you called Round the buoys those names. You expressed dismay at "name calling" after having used the terms above.

I had asked you if those terms could be defined as "name calling". Perhaps it is not name calling when directed at Wabiteer. I can only speculate as I doubt you will have an answer.

Ben

I differentiate. Douchebag is name calling and juvenile. "Hypocrite", "whiner" and "mentally challenged" are accurate descriptions applied without personal malice.

I differentiate. Douchebag is name calling and juvenile. "Hypocrite", "whiner" and "mentally challenged" are accurate descriptions applied without personal malice.

I don't think your a douchebag. I think you're an asshole.

And I only mean it as an accurate description, which I sincerely apply without personal malice.

Ben

There is a very revealing rather comic theme from D politicians like Obama Howard Dean John Kerry etc of banjo pickin ignorant middle America as their percieved characterization of --as Howard Dean put it about R he wanted to reach out to --the " truck driven beer drinkin confederate flag wavin sect .

Dean's telling charactures {in his mind} was the comic material for some great satire {dean memo etc } --now Obama demonstrates the same ignorant derogatory generally condensending beliefs .

The paternalistic attitude that says, “Oh, well, people only believe differently from me because they are ignorant and superstitious and backward” .

comment on the blogs -

: "Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' Cousin-Pokin' Inbred Hillbilly Racist Morons."

That'll sell. Can't anybody play this game?

Obama said about the middle class in Pennsylvania --"And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Given his reverand's preaching and his support of him it is a disturbing trend . The audacity of hope has a very ugly flip side to it .

Can anyone please translate into English what Carl D. Catamoron posted above? Thanks.

http://www.anklebitingpundits.com/content/index.php?p=3113

UPDATE: Sen. Obama’s explanation and pushback are actually worse than his original offense. By refusing to acknowledge that the lumping of Americans of faith together with racists and xenophobes is empirically insulting, he essentially restates his position and digs in: Religion, racism, xenophobia are just “refuges” (his new word) for people who are not as privileged as he. Really repugnant stuff.

His remarks are now his official position, not a blunder that can be explained away and forgiven. That window has closed. And they bring back to the surface Michelle Obama’s old line: “Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed.”

Yep, that’s us: Just a bunch of uniformed racists who hate everyone who isn’t just like us and cling to our God and our guns because we didn’t get to go to Princeton or Harvard Law School. They know us so well.

Yep, that’s us: Just a bunch of uniformed racists who hate everyone who isn’t just like us and cling to our God and our guns ...

What's the matter Hot Carl, Obama slammed you and your mama?

Truth hurts.

"By cracky, it's like the man sees into my soul!

"Thirty years ago, I had a good job in the mill in Pittsburgh. I was bringing in a good income, going to jazz clubs, discussing Proust over white wine and brie, with my gay friends of all colors. I was all for free trade, so that we could sell the steel overseas, and I never bothered to go to church, let alone actually believe in God.

"But then, the plant closed down, and I couldn't get another job. I went on unemployment, and found odd jobs here and there, but they barely paid the rent in the loft, and the payment on the Bimmer. I couldn't afford the wine and brie any more, and had to shift over to beer and brats.

"Of course, as a result, I started hanging out with the wrong crowd--the beer drinkers.

"And it wasn't just the beer. Some of them actually went out in the woods in the fall, and shot animals. And kilt 'em. With real guns!

"I was shocked, of course. For all their diversity, none of my gay friends would have ever thought of doing anything like that. But with my job loss, and lack of money for pedicures and pommade, they didn't want to hang with me any more. So I borried a twelve gauge over'n'under, and went out with my new beer-drinking animal-killing friends in the woods. And I'll tell you what, when I shot down that eight-pointer, I felt a sense of power over the helpless in a way that I hadn't since I'd been looking down on the rednecks when I had that good job in Pittsburgh, driving around town in my 528i.

"But somehow the killing, and hating those two-timing nancy boys wasn't enough. I was still in despair. I started to search for answers, and I thought that I found them in Jesus. It started small, just church on Sunday, with prayers and a lecture from the preacher.

"But it didn't stop there. Soon I was attending Wednesday night revivals, and huzzahing and hossanahing, and babbling with the best of them. After a few months I'd graduated to juggling garter snakes, then rattlers.

"But it wasn't enough. Despite all the gun caressing, and animal killing, and hatred of people who weren't like me, and anger at the Colombians who were...doing something to me--I'm not entirely sure what, and the tongue speaking and snake handling, I still couldn't find a job.

"My social life continued to deteriorate. Not only was I no longer interested in those sensitive swishes, or literature, but I was starting to look with lust at my sister. And not just look, I'll tell you what. She'd been out of work, too, and was getting mighty interested, if you know what I mean.

"I have hit rock bottom.

"Please, help me, O Bama. Forgive me, O Bama. O Bama, my Bama, rescue me from this living hell in which Reagan, and Bush, and Clinton, and Bush, have consigned me. Restore unto me my loft and my teutonic status symbol. Give me back my poofter friends, and my pinot grigio and my baked gruyere, and lattes. Save me from the killing and the beer, and most of all, from Jesus. Save me, O my Bama, and I will commit my vote unto you.

http://www.transterrestrial.com/archives/2...o_into_the.html

well -lets just be thankfull , it could be worse .

{to paraphrase Obama }

--"And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to reverands preaching hate speech, the politics a ' moral cause" which always causes antipathy to people who aren't like them . The anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as yet another a way to explain their frustrations .

Is thre anything in the statement that you think is false or misleading? Isn't it pretty much a given that when things get bad, people turn against "outsiders" of various sorts?

PE how can you even ask that? Broad brush strokes are often apt to be wrong.

Just shows a lack of tact and diplomacy in general.

Not tactful to be sure, and not a very politically smart thing to say, but is it an incorrect characterization of the prevailing political vibe in the towns he was talking about?

PE how can you even ask that? Broad brush strokes are often apt to be wrong.

Just shows a lack of tact and diplomacy in general.

Not tactful to be sure, and not a very politically smart thing to say, but is it an incorrect characterization of the prevailing political vibe in the towns he was talking about?

Funny how those like JT/AG who claim to despise political correctness the most, are most politically correct when it suits their agenda.

Talk about instant republicans courtesy of your typical democrap elitist snotnosed bitch.

Obama really showed the workld what he thinks of small town america.

Religious whackos

Gun nuts

Xenophobes

Protectionist whack jobs.

All in need guidance by big government.

Hilary thinks the same way . . . but she isn't stupid enough to say it.

Obama Concedes Remarks Were Ill Chosen

"...There has been a small "political flare-up because I said something that everybody knows is true, which is that there are a whole bunch of folks in small towns in Pennsylvania, in towns right here in Indiana, in my hometown in Illinois, who are bitter," Obama said Saturday morning at a town hall-style meeting at the university. "They are angry. They feel like they have been left behind. They feel like nobody is paying attention to what they're going through."

"So I said, well you know, when you're bitter you turn to what you can count on. So people, they vote about guns, or they take comfort from their faith and their family and their community. And they get mad about illegal immigrants who are coming over to this country."

After acknowledging his previous remarks in California could have been better phrased, he added:

"The truth is that these traditions that are passed on from generation to generation, those are important. That's what sustains us. But what is absolutely true is that people don't feel like they are being listened to.

"And so they pray and they count on each other and they count on their families. You know this in your own lives, and what we need is a government that is actually paying attention."

I am still not entirely sure what he is talking about. If he can't explain this position clearly, it remains subject to interpretation and I expect it will be spun in both negative and positive directions. And the negative will get more attention.

I had a discussion with a good friend of mine about a year ago. At the time, he was amused when many people were saying that the Republicans would never take the White House in 08. Not being a Republican or Democrat, he was certain that the Democrats would find a way to fuck up, what was then, a slam dunk. I almost made a bet with him. At this point, I am really glad I didn't.

Obama seems to be fucking up a lot lately. If continued, Hillary may get the nod. And I personally do not believe that Hillary is electable. So if Obama can't straighten up and fly right real soon, I think McCain will be our next President. Maybe the guy can salvage what is left of the Republican party, but he will need one hell of a big mop.

Ben

She just shows her disrespect in more subtle ways...

If anything, the current cast of candidates provides one hell of a good reason to consider long term (4 or 8 years) world cruising...

It's worse than incorrect, it’s bigoted. They 'cling' to guns because they are hunters or for self defense but not out of bitterness. They go to church not out of bitterness but because they believe in god. Obama looks more and more the snob. Now that his arrogance and disdain have been exposed people will be looking for it in his every word and gesture. Let’s see if he responds to this by lecturing us again.

She just shows her disrespect in more subtle ways...

If anything, the current cast of candidates provides one hell of a good reason to consider long term (4 or 8 years) world cruising...

Need crew?

Is thre anything in the statement that you think is false or misleading? Isn't it pretty much a given that when things get bad, people turn against "outsiders" of various sorts?

Then why did Obama apologize?

These bitter people cling to their guns and god and they hate people. Who have I heard talk like that recently? Hmmmmm.

Is this what you think middle American is?

It's no mystery where Obama learned to think and talk that way. Be real. He stayed at Trinity Baptist for 20 years because he believed the racist, anti America hate speech spewing from Wright's pulpit. The same way you do. Now why would I say that? Because by your own admission you find nothing wrong with his comments.

Obama Concedes Remarks Were Ill Chosen

"...There has been a small "political flare-up because I said something that everybody knows is true, which is that there are a whole bunch of folks in small towns in Pennsylvania, in towns right here in Indiana, in my hometown in Illinois, who are bitter," Obama said Saturday morning at a town hall-style meeting at the university. "They are angry. They feel like they have been left behind. They feel like nobody is paying attention to what they're going through."

"So I said, well you know, when you're bitter you turn to what you can count on. So people, they vote about guns, or they take comfort from their faith and their family and their community. And they get mad about illegal immigrants who are coming over to this country."

After acknowledging his previous remarks in California could have been better phrased, he added:

"The truth is that these traditions that are passed on from generation to generation, those are important. That's what sustains us. But what is absolutely true is that people don't feel like they are being listened to.

"And so they pray and they count on each other and they count on their families. You know this in your own lives, and what we need is a government that is actually paying attention."

I am still not entirely sure what he is talking about. If he can't explain this position clearly, it remains subject to interpretation and I expect it will be spun in both negative and positive directions. And the negative will get more attention.

I had a discussion with a good friend of mine about a year ago. At the time, he was amused when many people were saying that the Republicans would never take the White House in 08. Not being a Republican or Democrat, he was certain that the Democrats would find a way to fuck up, what was then, a slam dunk. I almost made a bet with him. At this point, I am really glad I didn't.

Obama seems to be fucking up a lot lately. If continued, Hillary may get the nod. And I personally do not believe that Hillary is electable. So if Obama can't straighten up and fly right real soon, I think McCain will be our next President. Maybe the guy can salvage what is left of the Republican party, but he will need one hell of a big mop.

Ben

I'd say there is an even chance McCain will become an independent and form a third party is he wins a popular re-election in 2012. If he does I hope it tears the heart out of both parties and leaves only the left and right zealots behind.

These bitter people cling to their guns and god and they hate people. Who have I heard talk like that recently? Hmmmmm.

Is this what you think middle American is?

The current anti-immigrant hysteria sure ain't coming from people at the top of the economic heap, it's coming from people who are scared that their children won't have it as good as they did.

People who are on hard times and for whom the future doesn't offer bright economic prospects, tend to be hostile to "outsiders". The extreme example from the 20th century was between-the-wars Germany. The economy had been destroyed, formerly well-off people were literally starving, and the Nazis were able to whip people -- ordinary, civilized people -- into a frenzy of hatred for the consummate outsider, the Jew.

Economic insecurity is the breeding ground of nationalistic excess, and of fascism.

I don't think that is even remotely controversial, do you?

Don't answer a question with a question, son.

Obviously, he apologized because his remarks were costing him politically.

Oh, so you mean he lied? Pretended to apologize, but in his heart he still believed what he said?

When he said he did not agree with the statements of Pastor Wright was that just because it was costing him politically as well?

I kinda thought so.

Obama sure don't seem all that different and fresh anymore. Sounding more and more like your run of the mill Chicago Democrat to me.

The current anti-immigrant hysteria sure ain't coming from people at the top of the economic heap, it's coming from people who are scared that their children won't have it as good as they did.

People who are on hard times and for whom the future doesn't offer bright economic prospects, tend to be hostile to "outsiders". The extreme example from the 20th century was between-the-wars Germany. The economy had been destroyed, formerly well-off people were literally starving, and the Nazis were able to whip people -- ordinary, civilized people -- into a frenzy of hatred for the consummate outsider, the Jew.

Economic insecurity is the breeding ground of nationalistic excess, and of fascism.

I don't think that is even remotely controversial, do you?

Yeah how dare that bitter fascist Mid western scum think Mexican should respect our laws. What was I thinking. Thank you for pointing out Obama is an insincere liar and that illegal Mexicans aren't really illegal depending on what the meaning of "IS" is.

Thanks for your clear insights. You'll have me drooling... I mean thinking like a Democrat in no time.

Yeah how dare that bitter fascist Mid western scum think Mexican should respect our laws. What was I thinking. Thank you for pointing out Obama is an insincere liar and that illegal Mexicans aren't really illegal depending on what the meaning of "IS" is.

Thanks for your clear insights. You'll have me drooling... I mean thinking like a Democrat in no time.

My... My... Getting testy?

Ben

Just funning with PE. I was splitting my sides when he admitted that Obama was insincere with his apology.

I've seen your style and I've seen his. Start a debate with PE and he will eat you for lunch.

Your best move now is to just declare it a win and stop.

Ben

I've seen your style and I've seen his. Start a debate with PE and he will eat you for lunch.

Your best move now is to just declare it a win and stop.

Ben

What's to win? I agreed with PE's assessment that Obama only apologized because he thought his comments were hurting him politically not because Obama felt they were wrong. There was no debate. I just thought his defense of Obama was hilarious is all.

What's to win? I agreed with PE's assessment that Obama only apologized because he thought his comments were hurting him politically not because Obama felt they were wrong. There was no debate. I just thought his defense of Obama was hilarious is all.

Obama's statement sounded prety dumb. And I think the best thing the guy has going for him is his speaking style. So I am thinking... "He could not have possibly meant that the way it sounded"

So I started contemplating what possible possitive interpretation could be had. I came up with one even SC would like. Something along the lines of "When people become bitter they blame the wrong things... Like guns and religion... etc.." You know... Like guns aren't really a problem, but people are unjustly blaming them when frustrated.

Then Obama "explains" what he said, and it sounds like it came out pretty much as he meant it.

I think.

Ben

Obama's statement sounded prety dumb. And I think the best thing the guy has going for him is his speaking style. So I am thinking... "He could not have possibly meant that the way it sounded"

So I started contemplating what possible possitive interpretation could be had. I came up with one even SC would like. Something along the lines of "When people become bitter they blame the wrong things... Like guns and religion... etc.." You know... Like guns aren't really a problem, but people are unjustly blaming them when frustrated.

Then Obama "explains" what he said, and it sounds like it came out pretty much as he meant it.

I think.

Ben

Obama spend 20 years listening to his pastor saying things just like this. I'm not sure if Obama has the discrimination to know what he said was wrong. Look at PE's first defense of Obama:

"Is there anything in the statement that you think is false or misleading?"

PE thinks what Obama said is perfectly reasonable and valid. I tend to think Obama did as well and as PE says he only apologized for reasons of political expedience.

Talk about instant republicans courtesy of your typical democrap elitist snotnosed bitch.

Obama really showed the workld what he thinks of small town america.

Religious whackos

Gun nuts

Xenophobes

Protectionist whack jobs.

All in need guidance by big government.

Hillary: Practically A Redneck Pennsylbaman Herself

http://perfunction.typepad.com/perfunction...ry-practic.html

an aside

Obama's reverand wright is giving a speech in Detroit for the NAACP next week Detroit has one of the worst crime rates , a 70% school dropout rate , about the same of unweb mothers , a completely corrupted political system and major mainly as the result of the damages those that preach crap cause .

You would have thought some there might have questioned Clintons help in arranging it ;)

I think.

Ben

The religion "they THEY cling to" came out pretty much as he meant it .

Rev Wright would agree anyway .

Barack Obama and rich white people vs the rubes .

http://louminatti.blogspot.com/2008/04/bar...-people-vs.html

So what happens if all 3 of them are unelectable?

In a surprize move the D superdelagates vote in Al Gore over Hillary and Obama and overturn the popular vote by "frustrated gun toten religious typical white folks " .

R in a surprize move nominate D SENATOR Joe Lieberman .

They end the national election in a dead tie but controversey in Dade county Florida casts doubt as Pat Buchanon recieves 89 % of the vote , they spend the next 4 years in recounts and in court and take turns each week as alternate prez and VP .

It causes a cycle of the US shooting down nuclear armed missiles launched from Iran one week to try to exterminate 6 million in the ME and exterminate parts of EU TO the US appologizing to them and the world for global warming the next week for the next 4 years .

Obama and Nancy have a "time out talk" with Ahmadedinejad every other week and ask him to please stop trying to kill others and target Crawford Texas instead .

"SEIZING MOMENT, HILLARY TOTES BIBLE TO GUN RANGE:" Heh. ;)

Her lower lip bulging from a dip of Skoal, Sen. Clinton put her Bible in her handbag, and drew out her own Para Ordnance Warthog .45 caliber pistol.

As reporters looked on, the Democrat presidential candidate emptied one 10-round magazine after another, with fair accuracy, at a human silhouette target.

http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=2941

You'll have to forgive me if I,m having too much fun with Hillary and Obama .

You have to admit the satire is hilarious . or does identity politics leave people completely humorless as in "don't be so humorless people will think you're a --.

I am beginning to get the impression that Carl hates Democrats.

Ben

Does being a democrat mean you have to take seriously, like, or support Hillary or Obama?

Obama continues to put his foot in his mouth --he can't stop himself and Hillary will use every gaff and help amplify them .

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/rubin/3329

Much has been said about (and several Saturday Night Live skits have lampooned) the media’s infatuation with Barack Obama. But sometimes a gaffe is so revealing and so encapsulates a candidate’s underlying fault lines (”I actually did vote for the $87M before I voted against it.”) that a sympathetic media can’t spin it away. “Quell the furor” (h/t Instapundit) phrases are a sure sign the media is playing this one down the middle and letting the chips fly where they will.

Here, here, here and here are just a few examples of the beating Obama is taking in the mainstream media. In part, this is because the Clinton team has gone into full court press and, in part, because there is no other campaign story to report now. And sometimes the “helmet in the tank” moment is just so obviously the biggest story there is that there is no stopping it.

So the swarm has descended and there is no let up in sight.

It's worse than incorrect, it’s bigoted. They 'cling' to guns because they are hunters or for self defense but not out of bitterness. They go to church not out of bitterness but because they believe in god. Obama looks more and more the snob. Now that his arrogance and disdain have been exposed people will be looking for it in his every word and gesture. Let’s see if he responds to this by lecturing us again.

There's a bit more than snobbery there. If I was Rove I would put it out there that economic determinism="Marxism", and Obama's connection to Bill Ayers should be seen in that light. I wouldn't have McCain say that but I would get that out there to the talk radio guys, etc. Then McCain could turn around and take the high road by conceding that his opponent is neither Muslim nor Marxist.

There's a bit more than snobbery there. If I was Rove I would put it out there that economic determinism="Marxism", and Obama's connection to Bill Ayers should be seen in that light. I wouldn't have McCain say that but I would get that out there to the talk radio guys, etc. Then McCain could turn around and take the high road by conceding that his opponent is neither Muslim nor Marxist.

I wish these people, the socialist, Marxists, communists, and corpor-fascists would just drop their American flags and show their true colors... Its so disgusting.. why the hell are people not rioting in the streets over this shit? 99% of our so called government is in total violation of all the principles this nation was founded on.. so why not let it all hang out. The American Experiment is dead.. the sooner we accept that fact the sooner we can either move on or get it back.. one or the other please, the rest is just distraction.

I think.

Ben

I still at a loss to understand hou you got blame the wrong things with Obama's statement that said they "cling to things like guns and religion". Cling and blame seem to me to be quite opposites.

B)-->

QUOTE(Jeff B @ Apr 13 2008, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still at a loss to understand hou you got blame the wrong things with Obama's statement that said they "cling to things like guns and religion". Cling and blame seem to me to be quite opposites.

My only reasoning is that it seemed like a significantly stupid thing to say. And since speaking is the guy's strong point, I was thinking there some other meaning that was intended.

I was wrong.

It's like when Bush said, "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Now... That's sounds pretty dumb for Bush to say that he never stops thinking about new ways to harm our country. But he did not mean it that way. He did not mean it as it sounded. It was a positive statement, that can be interpreted in a negative way.

As it is... It appears that Obama meant exactly what he said. Be it factual or not, it is not something to tell those you expect to vote for you.

Ben

Sounds pretty dumb to me. Neither someone's guns nor their religion should be any of his business, as long as they keep both to themselves.

American elections and politics are hilarious if you can detach yourself occationally and just marvel at the contrivances and media driven machinations .

At a recent Obama rally the Obama organizers arrange the people in the back ground for the cameras and were overheard saying --

"we need more white people " get me more white people" .

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2008/4/1...olors_for_obama

One can only imagine the media frenzy if McCain's organizers were caught saying something similar .

Now we get from the braintrust of Move on , not another Bush = Hitler type contest --but

old white haired ladies { Obama's "typical white person"} for Obama

classic ;)

The video was produced as an entry in Moveon.org's "Obama in Thirty Seconds" contest. The winner, selected by a panel of celebrity judges, will see their ad aired nationally courtesy of Moveon.org and will receive a $20,000 gift certificate for video equipment. The deadline for entries is Tuesday.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2008/4/1...olors_for_obama

Is English your first language? Yes I know English can sometimes be ambiguous but my comment isn't such a case.

"Maybe this plays well to uptight, God, Guns and America hating Democrats..."

For example I might have said "Maybe this plays well to castrated Democrats..."

Would you read into that that all Democrats have been castrated? .... OK, maybe that was a bad example.

If it gets the unhinged types all screechy, distracted, and hopeful in a year where the party of big capital is going to get their asses handed to them (anybody seen those 'right direction/wrong track' numbers lately??), then Obama's comments (especially given their resonance) were a brilliant thing to say. Catamoron, Malarkey and the right-wing noise machine can keep obsessing with Obama from now 'til November ... it won't change the fact that all but the most die-hard right-wingers have abandoned them and their policies.

Cheers!

If it gets the unhinged types all screechy, distracted, and hopeful in a year where the party of big capital is going to get their asses handed to them (anybody seen those 'right direction/wrong track' numbers lately??), then Obama's comments (especially given their resonance) were a brilliant thing to say. Catamoron, Malarkey and the right-wing noise machine can keep obsessing with Obama from now 'til November ... it won't change the fact that all but the most die-hard right-wingers have abandoned them and their policies.

Cheers!

If....bla bla bla.... Why don't you tell us what you think of the comments?

Haven't seen or read them ... too busy with things in the real world.

Haven't seen or read them ... too busy with things in the real world.

Trying to put food on your family again? Oops. I mis-spoke.

Trying to put food on your family again? Oops. I mis-spoke.

And getting the boat ready for launch, and finishing up loose ends with the club's dredging contractor, etc, etc, etc.

And getting the boat ready for launch, and finishing up loose ends with the club's dredging contractor, etc, etc, etc.

Ah, that time of year again.... I may get hotter than hell down here, and we may deal with hurricanes now and again, but I love being able to sail year-round, usually in shorts and t-shirt....

Enjoy.

Just funning with PE. I was splitting my sides when he admitted that Obama was insincere with his apology.

It pains me that:

1. He said it out loud.

2. He has to apologize for it.

(explanation)

1. For the most part, its true.. Americans tend to vote "values".. and "values", include guns, religion, party, etc.

2. No one wants to discuss the issue of "voting values". They'd rather cry foul and cast this as an "elitist" remark... That J_T chimed in proves my point.

After a period of a few days it goes away and then there's nothing to do but wait for the next oppoturtunity to catch a candidate in saying something lees-than-perfect.. something that can be distorted into a "foul"

Well if he called you an acid gobbling beachbum, you would be good with that?

wooo hooooooooooooo!

caught me a LUNKER!

You haven't yet sent in your entry to the Move on Obama in 30 seconds{ left wing noise machine }contest !!! ?

After all the Bush = Hitler Move on ads worked so well along with the slander of general "betray us"

Is it a" willing suspension of disbelief " that the left ignores Obama 's complete dissconnect with middle America as Hillary is pointing out or is it just his general contempt for average Americans , or is it just part of the general strategy to try to ignore "real life " facts .

ABC NEWS: Obama Allies Avoid Trying to Explain Most Controversial Part of His Remarks.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/20...-allies-av.html

Some Obama 30 second ad suggestions to follow ;)

It was a rhetorical question jd.

So I only have a rhetorical lunker on the line?

... how dissappointing.

No, he just likes to bash conservatives , call people names and then get all indignant and Huffington when some dares to disparage a Democrat.

and posting drivel here etc, etc, etc.

and posting drivel here etc, etc, etc.

Uhm, no, actually I'm leaving that to you.

It pains me that:

1. He said it out loud.

2. He has to apologize for it.

(explanation)

1. For the most part, its true.. Americans tend to vote "values".. and "values", include guns, religion, party, etc.

2. No one wants to discuss the issue of "voting values". They'd rather cry foul and cast this as an "elitist" remark... That J_T chimed in proves my point.

After a period of a few days it goes away and then there's nothing to do but wait for the next oppoturtunity to catch a candidate in saying something lees-than-perfect.. something that can be distorted into a "foul"

Distorted into a foul? Me think you just distorted.

I'm sorry but there is nothing wrong with an American who wants to own a firearm, humble himself before God each Sunday at church and thinks illegal aliens ignoring US Customs and Immigration law should stop.

Distorted into a foul? Me think you just distorted.

I'm sorry but there is nothing wrong with an American who wants to own a firearm, humble himself before God each Sunday at church and thinks illegal aliens ignoring US Customs and Immigration law should stop.

You are slipping

That wasn't what was said... not even by your quote.

And it's not surprising then(sic) they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

Nothing about "llegal"

I expect you to comprehend better.. please don't dissapppoint me.

And regardless.

What Obama was saying is that people use these issues to deal with thier personal bitterness. They isolate particulars where they can identify by being a "victim" of something. They find "differences" on which they can blame their personal lot. It is a basic human trait... and one that America has a long history of acting out on. (scary mooslems)

He may be suggesting that regardless the "issue" the bitterness may have a different source.

Seems no one wants to discuss that "issue" though. We'd rather cry "foul".

I think.

Ben

My interpretation is that, taken in the full contest of what he

was talking about, why the lack of voter engagement in the issues,

he was giving his opinion that for many of those voters,

embittered by the lack of response and relevance from governemt and politics

these days, they cling to issues like guns and religion when making

their voting choices, or even bothering to vote. Of course, we

all know the DemocRATs are going to take away everybodies guns,

and ban all religion. That's what the did when they had control

for 40 or so years. right?

There is some truth to what Obama said. The media focus on bullshit instead

of important issues too. In this case they are more focused on

perpetuating a shit fight instead of examining what he said.

It's not anywhere near as condescending as Hillary and McCain

are spinning it to be, and many are feigning outrage over.

Better for ratings and easier than discussing healtcare and

Iraq, let alone the debt.. It's all pretty off-putting.

He should not have apologized.

You are slipping

That wasn't what was said... not even by your quote.

Nothing about "llegal"

I expect you to comprehend better.. please don't dissapppoint me.

And regardless.

What Obama was saying is that people use these issues to deal with thier personal bitterness. They isolate particulars where they can identify by being a "victim" of something. They find "differences" on which they can blame their personal lot. It is a basic human trait... and one that America has a long history of acting out on. (scary mooslems)

He may be suggesting that regardless the "issue" the bitterness may have a different source.

Seems no one wants to discuss that "issue" though. We'd rather cry "foul".

A few questions for you...

a ) When Obama says tough times makes people bitter is that a compliment?

b ) Is that even true?

c ) Why do you give him a pass for such a sweeping generalization. Does everyone that loses a job or has a tough period do each of those things?

d ) When he say in times of trouble they turn to their faith is that a bad thing?

I ask that last one because Obama stuck it in there with "stocking up on firepower", "Antipathy for other races" (you know that is what he meant by "aren't like them") and "turning against immigrants". All of which emote negative connotations.

BTW when you semanticized that "anti-immigrant sentiment" wasn't talking about illegals I chuckled ... Reminded me of the President of the National Organization of Women defending poor innocent Bill against that opportunistic slut, Monica.

Obama has been preached racism for many years- It's as obvious as the nose on his face and it slips out in his speech. Big surprise. The young and dumb, along with the idiot dems buying his crap can come out and vote all they want- It's not going to happen. How can people be so passionate about a party that keeps throwing up such huge duds? Promise of that free cheese I guess.

BTW when you semanticized that "anti-immigrant sentiment" wasn't talking about illegals I chuckled ... Reminded me of the President of the National Organization of Women defending poor innocent Bill against that opportunistic slut, Monica.

Why would you chuckle?.. are you really that cruel?

The "anti-immigrant" sentiment does not divide neatly along the legal/illegal boundary. Ask just about any hispanic or hispanic- appearing individual if they feel additional vibes due to all the recent dicsussion over the ILLEGAL immigration issue. .. or you can go read up on some Pat Buchanan columns for a precise example of the "anti-immigrant" sentiment.

a. Do you think tough times DON'T make some people bitter?

b. Is "what" even true?

c. I don't give him a "pass", rather I'd like to see the issue discussed.. I don't care about the semantics. And no.. not every single one.. but it does not take every single person to stink up a room, either.

d. He didn't say that.

A few questions for you...

a ) When Obama says tough times makes people bitter is that a compliment?

b ) Is that even true?

c ) Why do you give him a pass for such a sweeping generalization. Does everyone that loses a job or has a tough period do each of those things?

d ) When he say in times of trouble they turn to their faith is that a bad thing?

I ask that last one because Obama stuck it in there with "stocking up on firepower", "Antipathy for other races" (you know that is what he meant by "aren't like them") and "turning against immigrants". All of which emote negative connotations.

a ) No.

b ) In many cases, yes.

c ) I personally don't give him a pass.

d ) No.

A question for you: Do you feel it is inappropriate to make sweeping generalizations?

Ben