Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hurrisailor

New Volvo Puma Boat

Any Newport anarchists want to head down and take some pictures of her in daylight, that thing looks sweet!

TC

The stern shape is wild, almost multi-chined. Looks a bit like the middle of an old half-tonner that I used to sail on.

Also interesting is the way the chine, which is super defined at the stern, disappears so fast as it goes forward. It's the opposite of the new Open-60s.

The starboard side in the head on shot from valenciasailing looks a little less than smooth. I'm looking at the wavy reflection of the cruiser sitting next to her. By contrast the refection of the stop sign and building on the port side looks sharper with no indication of hollows or low spots. Am I seeing things?

Have been working for Goetz and the Puma gang, helping to get the boat finished. We had to keep quiet (and still do) about any of the boat features. But as you can imagine, it's pretty darn cool.

The sailing crew includes Jonathan McKee and Sydney Gavignet, both of whom were in the BWR (JM on Estrella Damm, Sydney on Delta Dore). Fun to work alongside these guys. The build crew was/is awesome...great experience to be in the trenches (carbon fiber trenches, that is) and see the boat take shape.

Awesome! how many other teams other than ericsson and these guys? Boats get better every time new ones are released.

Paint Job looks sweet!!!

Can't wait to see pic's of it under sail, matching sails and all!

Is it just me or does it look like the rudders are going to go in Cassettes @ the transom?

Appears that the rudders will be going into cassettes, or maybe it's some new plug in technology that is yet to be seen.

Makes sense replacing rudders at sea perhaps..? How many boats damaged rudders last time around and retired because of it..?

As Usual the daily sail came up trumps first!

http://www.thedailysail.com/ism/articles.n...ment&Page=1

for those of you with passwords many more pictures inside which im sure will end up on the net quite quickly!

How is it you say "As usual the daily sail came up trumps first" and then go an post the news at SA here..?? Is it because more people follow sailing at SA and therefore the news would get more attention here..? A dig is a dig but you contradict the daily sail itself by having to post it here..! LOL

Bottom and side of a shoe is my guess.

I was thinking of them pull up rudders to get the drag out of the water more than anything else, can't see them taking a replacement with them.

Edit: could some one please save the pictures from the daily sail and post them here

Bottom and side of a shoe is my guess.

I was thinking of them pull up rudders to get the drag out of the water more than anything else, can't see them taking a replacement with them.

Edit: could some one please save the pictures from the daily sail and post them here

paintjob is just like the avanti (red/pink boat), only this time another model (i think this on: 34076807.jpg)

Under the VO70 rule for the first race lifting rudders were not permitted, I can't imagine this time it is permitted. However a system with a big casette where the rudder slides into might be a possibility. Then again I cannot remember a lot of rudder issues (movistar first night is the only one that comes to mind). A bigger rudderstock might lower the stress levels around the construction though.

Well I could save the pictures however I'm a big fan of the website and am happy to pay my yearly fees (which are equivalent to 5 yachting mags or something) so I won't. Plus the photos are copyright protected. However earlier in the thread it was pointed out that Sally's photos have been distributed to other sources as well and they are freely available through those websites (just scroll up in this thread).

nice hull schape, but ericsson 3 has a smoother one. the paint job's nice too, but why a shoe, again? they now have 2 different ;)

Talking only about the esthetic, it can't be a paint job it must be an adhesive covered by a thin layer of epoxy, no ?

Would someone know exactly how it was made to get such a effect ?

.........but why a shoe, again?

I'm guessing that, as shoe makers with a new range of sailing shoes, that haing a shoe on their multi-million dollar investment was what they banked on as giving them the best ROI and ROO.

yeah id want to know how they did the graphics.. alot of rules in other classes dont allow the use of vinyls. It all has to be paint. i.e IACC. otherwise some airbrush artists must have taken their sweet time!!!

Wow, That boat makes me Puma pants.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

(anyone who has listened to The 12th man will understand that)

yeah id want to know how they did the graphics.. alot of rules in other classes dont allow the use of vinyls. It all has to be paint. i.e IACC. otherwise some airbrush artists must have taken their sweet time!!!

See the Sailing World blog - Graham Batting of Barrington RI did the paint job. He also did the Pegasus Open 50 which is way cool too.

nice hull schape, but ericsson 3 has a smoother one. ;)

how would you know, stick to what you know and that is fucking sheep.

I'll be down there this weekend and will get some photos.

GO THE SHOE 2.0!

That is one very nice paint job. However I am glad I am not the chase boat driver or the one in the shore crew responsible for repairing any dings. It also must have quite a thickness of clear coat (weight) to allow for wet sanding, otherwise it wont look too good after a few months.

Under the VO70 rule for the first race lifting rudders were not permitted, I can't imagine this time it is permitted.

Same was true about hollows in the hull shell

That is one very nice paint job. However I am glad I am not the chase boat driver or the one in the shore crew responsible for repairing any dings. It also must have quite a thickness of clear coat (weight) to allow for wet sanding, otherwise it wont look too good after a few months.

some boats looked mega cleared but are just wet sanded and buffed, no extra weight, no clear...

I just looked at it this morning. The rudders will still be in sockets under the stern like last time's boats had. IDK what those braces on the stern are for. The bottom's wicked flat too, much more so than the ones from the previous race.

The paint job's badass from up close.

From what I've read so far, the new boat will be christened on May 12th at The Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston Harbor and from the christening, we will have the name of the boat as well as the idea behind the design. POR will aslo be launching a website sometime in early May! I'm stoked on Ken Read as skipper and the potential for this new VOR campaign!

I just looked at it this morning. The rudders will still be in sockets under the stern like last time's boats had. IDK what those braces on the stern are for. The bottom's wicked flat too, much more so than the ones from the previous race.

The paint job's badass from up close.

A fully functioning emergency steering system must be ready to be used and working demonstrated prior to being allowed to race. I take it the braces on the stern are there for that.

how would you know, stick to what you know and that is fucking sheep.

this sheepfucker knows where the press images from ERT are, on this picture you can see the smooth hull shape nice and clear.

post-15175-1209153043_thumb.jpg

I'm a boat builder in high performance boats(carbon prepregs etc.) and can also draw hull shapes quite accurate from photographs. I can see small differences, and between these two it's clear like the difference between the ABN and farr boats.

stick to what you know, you don't know me ;)

If I'd known you were around Haji, I'd have said hi!

puma_black1.jpg

Gear getting sorted.

puma_gear1.jpg

puma_black2.jpg

Il Mostro eh?

Il Pattino is more like it.

How far down did you get? I'm thinking about going down tomorrow morning.

Guards are nazis about people who are not supposed to be on the docks getting on the docks.

That said bring flowers and beer and maybe they'll let you down there? :D

Guards are nazis about people who are not supposed to be on the docks getting on the docks.

That said bring flowers and beer and maybe they'll let you down there? :D

That's my goal for tomorrow then; try to get pass the assholes. :lol:

That's my goal for tomorrow then; try to get pass the assholes. :lol:

One swift kick in the nut sack should speak volumes to them on how you would just like to go and have a look at the boat!!! :lol::lol::lol:

this sheepfucker knows where the press images from ERT are, on this picture you can see the smooth hull shape nice and clear.

I'm a boat builder in high performance boats(carbon prepregs etc.) and can also draw hull shapes quite accurate from photographs. I can see small differences, and between these two it's clear like the difference between the ABN and farr boats.

Nice one Susho, I have to agree with you there.

It's also interesting to see how many people seem to think they followed the last race designs pretty intently, yet no one recognised that most of the boats last time had the similar transom hung emergency steering system required to meet the rule....nothing new about that one. Shame that the expensive paint job breaks the rule requirement of leaving the forward 2 metre section in a solid colour for Volvo branding...that'll cost even more to fix.

Hey guys, I was over in newport sailing this weekend and saw that the new puma boat was in the water so I zipped over there in my car and couldnt get all that close but i still managed to take a couple shots of the boat in the water.

the issue is im new here and all forums have a different way of posting images so if anyone can help of if I can send them to someone that would be great.

Hey guys, I was over in newport sailing this weekend and saw that the new puma boat was in the water so I zipped over there in my car and couldnt get all that close but i still managed to take a couple shots of the boat in the water.

the issue is im new here and all forums have a different way of posting images so if anyone can help of if I can send them to someone that would be great.

photobucket. upload pics to there and post the tags here.

pm if more help needed.

photobucket. upload pics to there and post the tags here.

pm if more help needed.

alrite thanks will give that a shot

DSCN1231.jpg

and old and new toghether

DSCN1232.jpg

I have another race in Newport tomorrow and may try and take some better pics if I get a chance

They were doing the same thing (canting and uncanting) yesterday.

Must be playing with the electronics.

Or just showing it off to family/friends? :D

Edit: Overheard Saturday: "It floats! It really floats!" :blink::lol:

They were doing the same thing (canting and uncanting) yesterday.

Must be playing with the electronics.

Or just showing it off to family/friends? :D

Edit: Overheard Saturday: "It floats! It really floats!" :blink::lol:

yup thats when I was over there, I figured they were testing out the electronics because the boat must have been lauched thurs or fri because it was still high and dry wed night.

yup thats when I was over there, I figured they were testing out the electronics because the boat must have been lauched thurs or fri because it was still high and dry wed night.

I'm gonna guess Saturday given the "it floats!" comments.

Went by yesterday afternoon. New boat was out on her first sail but Avanti was sitting at the dock. Went right down next to it, no one said anything. You could see the new one sailing from Goat Island. Trying to upload the pics but the stupid computer isn't recognizing the card.

Searching Google for new shit and I found this....

Salma Hayek Joins the Puma Family

Plus! Introducing the Speed Racer shoe

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Salma Hayek will soon add another title to her résumé: godmother. The actress and mother of Valentina Paloma is slated to be Puma's godmother for the company's new boat and its ocean racing team. Hayek, whose significant other François-Henri Pinault's company PPR acquired a controlling stake in Puma AG in February, is expected at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston on May 12 for the boat christening and VIP dinner.

Puma launched into the sailing category this year and commissioned Goetz Custom Boats to build the lifestyle brand's new Volvo Open 70, which will compete in the upcoming Volvo Ocean Race 2008-2009.

Dear fucking lord.

Nice looking boat and perhaps the most fascinating aspect of the up and coming Volvo race will be the different designs. We had Farr vs Juan K last time round and I think it's fair to say it spelled the end of Farr in this race. This time around we have Juan K the benchmark vs Botin Carkeek vs Reichel Pugh vs Rob Humphreys vs ??? . Who is designing the Alicante boats..?

What are the thoughts on the designs this time around and which designer is likely to be the most successful..?

This time around we have Juan K the benchmark vs Botin Carkeek vs Reichel Pugh vs Rob Humphreys vs ??? . Who is designing the Alicante boats..?

Farr

Farr

Surprising in one respect but not in another given their choices I suppose. Farr has the longest history with this race so in some form a conservative choice.

Farr vs Juan K vs Botin Carkeek vs Reichel Pugh vs Rob Humphreys

5 Different Designers but can each one of them win..?

Came across this article on the up and coming Farr design, perhaps interesting is the comment that this is the 1st time Farr will support a single campaign and therefore are able to commit to the use of more resources and tools etc etc.

Farr Yacht Design evaluating Volvo Ocean Race yachts at the Davidson Laboratory

Stevens lab is a leading center for research and education in naval architecture and ocean engineering

HOBOKEN , N.J. — Tank testing for Farr Yacht Design’s (FYD) Volvo Open 70s is currently underway at the David son Laboratory’s high-speed towing tank at Stevens Institute of Technology. First opened in 1944, the facility remains one of the world’s leading centers for research and edu cation in the fields of naval architecture and ocean engineering . The recently completed renovations have significantly enhanced the facility’s capabilities, making it is attractive for this program. Frank DeBord of Chesapeake Marine Technology is managing the tank-testing program.

“Davidson Lab had a rich history of conducting model studies of sailing yacht designs from its early days up until the 1990s, including almost all of the America ’s Cup designs during that period. Although we haven't been involved actively in sailing yacht testing for the past few years, we are very happy to get back into yacht model testing – especially for a design team participating in one of the world’s premier yacht races, the Volvo 70,” said Raju Datla, Research Associate Professor in Stevens’ Civil, Environmental and Ocean Engineering department.

In addition to the tests at the high speed towing tank, Davidson Laboratory is also conducting an extensive computational fluid dynamics program to support the aero-hydro analysis of the FYD Volvo Open 70 designs.

FYD was commissioned to research, design and support two Volvo Open 70s for a Spanish entry in the 2008/2009 Volvo Ocean Race. Research work at FYD commenced in November 2006 and involves a team comprised of FYD designers and outside consultants.

The Volvo Ocean Race starts in Alicante, Spain, October 2008 and involves nine months of racing on 11 legs that will take competitors to stopovers in South Africa, Dubai, India, China, Brazil, the US, Ireland and Europe.

This is the first time that FYD has elected to work for a single program for the Volvo Ocean Race. “This arrangement permits greater involvement of our design team with the project management, builders and crew,” said Patrick Shaughnessy, Vice President of FYD. “We will be making a much bigger contribution to strategic planning, construction supervision, boat optimization and tuning assistance during the race than ever before.”

The Spanish entry has acquired an existing Volvo Open 70 and FYD has designed modifications to the boat that will be built and tested over the next few months. Sails, appendages, hull shapes and canting systems are all part of the full-scale testing program. FYD staff members have been sailing on the boat and will be onboard for testing of the modifications to obtain first hand knowledge to use in their research and design work.

About Stevens Institute of Technology

Founded in 1870, Stevens Institute of Technology is one of the leading technological universities in the world dedicated to learning and research. Through its broad-based curricula, nurturing of creative inventiveness, and cross disciplinary research, the Institute is at the forefront of global challenges in engineering, science, and technology management. Partnerships and collaboration between, and among, business, industry, government and other universities contribute to the enriched environment of the Institute. A new model for technology commercialization in academe, known as Technogenesis®, involves external partners in launching business enterprises to create broad opportunities and shared value.

Stevens offers baccalaureates, master’s and doctoral degrees in engineering, science, computer science and management, in addition to a baccalaureate degree in the humanities and liberal arts, and in business and technology. The university has a total enrollment of 2,040 undergraduate and 3,085 graduate students, and a worldwide online enrollment of 2,250, with a full-time tenured/tenure-track faculty of 140 and more than 200 full-time special faculty. Stevens’ graduate programs have attracted international participation from China, India, Southeast Asia, Europe and Latin America. Additional information may be obtained from its web page at www.stevens.edu.

Surprising in one respect but not in another given their choices I suppose. Farr has the longest history with this race so in some form a conservative choice.

Farr vs Juan K vs Botin Carkeek vs Reichel Pugh vs Rob Humphreys

5 Different Designers but can each one of them win..?

Botin & Carkeek or Reichel Pugh boats will take it. After that who cares 2nd place is the first loser

With ya there. Would be nice to see Humphreys doing well but I dont think the Russians have the budget...

Gear getting sorted.

puma_gear1.jpg

mmmmmmmm Shore Support.....................be my shore support any time... :rolleyes:

Farr is heavily involved now with Imoca 60´s, he got a shit load of information from them. So I would think they gained lot of new knowledge about shapes and systems. So he is my nr 1 for boatspeed. But Spanish crew... hmm not nr 1 ranking I am affraid.

I would rank Ericsson as the favourites right now. They've got a two boat programme, with the first in the water already, which puts them ahead of the competition.

check these out from today @ NSY...

nice bit of progress in the chines...

post-6087-1209864371_thumb.jpg

post-6087-1209864398_thumb.jpg

have they not been sailing yet>? or are you guys letting the team down with no photo's yet?

come on !!! we get a 100ftr sailing within 2 days in NZ!!! whats the deal?!?!? :D

have they not been sailing yet>? or are you guys letting the team down with no photo's yet?

come on !!! we get a 100ftr sailing within 2 days in NZ!!! whats the deal?!?!? :D

Kenny has jusy finished sailing Rambler at Antigua, finished second behind a tp52 panthera with Leopard in 4th.

Yeah Right .......... This is ABN1 in the new Ericsson rags

Kenny has jusy finished sailing Rambler at Antigua, finished second behind a tp52 panthera with Leopard in 4th.

So they cant go sailing without Kenny? :P

They were sailing within 3 days of arrival of the boat at the NSY and have sailed 5 or 6 days... Read didn't do Antigua.

Don't worry sports fans, they are out there training... just no one dumb enough to go try to catch them because the weather sucks so bad right now.

supposedly they are going out today.....anybody up there going out today??

6 knots of wind in Newport.

If they go out its going to be boring as shit. :lol:

Gross as hell out too.

I have not seen them out sailing but that dosent mean much because im not over in newport everyday. My buddy told me though that they saw them out sailing last weekend, either sat evening or sunday.

Word on the Streets in China is that the Green Team Volvo was put on a ship recently and is headed for Europe and should be there in 3-4 weeks

And still no pics of them with sails up? sheesh!!! the way you guys act when we launch a new boat in NZ demanding pics!!!!

Word on the Streets in China is that the Green Team Volvo was put on a ship recently and is headed for Europe and should be there in 3-4 weeks

Word on the street or word on the VOR-website? Showed up today on TDS as well. No interesting pics yet.

Russian boat should be nearing completion and fit-out would see the boat probably (or is that hopefully) splash end may/early june. Their team website has some updates and photos of the build, but they aren't giving away free clues either.

That leaves the two farr boats and ericsson 4 (does anyone have an update on whether or not ericsson3 is a VO70 yet or if it still is outside the rule?). The Spanish are still keeping a very very low profile.

Anyway the boat looks awesome, I like the slightly different transition of the BC chine into the smooth hull shpae compared to what we've seen with Farr and Juan K so far. Plus it seems Puma's gonna make red sailing gear fashionable again...

And still no pics of them with sails up? sheesh!!! the way you guys act when we launch a new boat in NZ demanding pics!!!!

Agree with you KK. :angry:

Bloody slow are you northerns, still in hibernation. :lol:

All I can say is WOW. We went down to Newport to sail the Open 5.70 on Sunday. My Dad had spotted the rigs on the dock at American on Saturday and already went down and saw them calling me on the cell. Sunday we pulled in, the rigs where there when we were on the bridge, but they had already left by the time we had parked and walked over.... They were over by ida. So we drolled on Numbers and went to SN to sail the open.

blah blah the open is RAD! blah blah

We were going down under kite (at about ~10kts) near clingstone when we saw 2 red sails way out coming in. We dropped the kite and spun around to watch them FLY past us upwind. Pointing higher than the open (not hard) and going AT LEAST 10kts, probably 12. And the new boat was easily faster than the old one. Very impressive. Unfortunately the camera I have a waterproof case for was along, but it's SD card was back at home.......

Went back down to the dock after sailing to take some shots.

enjoy:

img_6922.jpg

for reference:

img_6923.jpg

tons more shots on my blog

numbers is also down there getting "some work done". Impressive to see her rig out and the keep down in the straps.

Check out my blog for more pics of both:

www.surfacehoar.com

All I can say is WOW. We went down to Newport to sail the Open 5.70 on Sunday. My Dad had spotted the rigs on the dock at American on Saturday and already went down and saw them calling me on the cell. Sunday we pulled in, the rigs where there when we were on the bridge, but they had already left by the time we had parked and walked over.... They were over by ida. So we drolled on Numbers and went to SN to sail the open.

blah blah the open is RAD! blah blah

We were going down under kite (at about ~10kts) near clingstone when we saw 2 red sails way out coming in. We dropped the kite and spun around to watch them FLY past us upwind. Pointing higher than the open (not hard) and going AT LEAST 10kts, probably 12. And the new boat was easily faster than the old one. Very impressive. Unfortunately the camera I have a waterproof case for was along, but it's SD card was back at home.......

Went back down to the dock after sailing to take some shots.

enjoy:

img_6922.jpg

for reference:

img_6923.jpg

tons more shots on my blog

numbers is also down there getting "some work done". Impressive to see her rig out and the keep down in the straps.

Check out my blog for more pics of both:

www.surfacehoar.com

Some of the numbers from the other day were 15-16 in 11 knots and 18knots in about 12-14

Some of the numbers from the other day were 15-16 in 11 knots and 18knots in about 12-14

That MUST be downwind though right?

I'd guesstimate it was 10~12 UPWIND on Sunday in ~12kt breeze... Who knows what down. They were out of sight too fast to even see...

Thanks Jacobsen 1

Definitly like the higher stern on the new one, a lot less wetted surface area.

Can you tell anything about the bwl, is it narrower with more fare in the toposides?

they were flying when i saw them yesterday.... saw the open 5.7 too.

we were going to go out on the 29er and find them, but it wasnt enough wind. (close to 400 lbs) we needed like 25... so yea.

But they were hauling out while i was driving over the bridge yesterday.... wow, they look awesome.

we were going to go out on the 29er and find them, but it wasnt enough wind.

should have hung around longer (so should we). When we drove over the bridge at ~4:30 it was a consistent 15.

would have been great in the 14, however with a 29er, our weight wouldnt have made it to much fun. (no trapping)

would have been great in the 14, however with a 29er, our weight wouldnt have made it to much fun. (no trapping)

yeah, I hear you, I had a vector (similar sail area) and tried to get big friends out a few times. Should have ditched the crew, it was perfect for solo sailing. :)