• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
will746

i550

3,202 posts in this topic

Aww, hey, no, your boat looks great. I would KILL to be that far along! Nice sails, too. I am so envious I could....well, I could have another beer.

OK, I will!

Aww, hey, no, your boat looks great. I would KILL to be that far along! Nice sails, too. I am so envious I could....well, I could have another beer.

OK, I will!

Thanks Tim, you enjoy that beer.

Your boat will get in the water . I reckon yours will be fantastic and have great sails with an awesome paint job as well.

Boat looks good shazza sails look good too but the logo on the sails doesn,t look farmiliar who made them.?

Boat looks good shazza sails look good too but the logo on the sails doesn,t look farmiliar who made them..?

The sails where made by Allwood Sails, the numbers etc go on main this week, the heady was our #3. First race on the 20th QCYC.

Boat looks good shazza sails look good too but the logo on the sails doesn,t look farmiliar who made them..?

The sails where made by Allwood Sails, the numbers etc go on main this week, the heady was our #3. First race on the 20th QCYC.

cant wait to see how that main goes in pressure! ;)

cant wait to see how that main goes in pressure! ;)

Me too, let me know what they looked like from behind when you get in :P

Just learned that a local phrf committee has refused to rate an i550 in Wisconsin. What I know of the phrf is that there are no guidelines for length limits and they are all over the place. The i550 is the shorty in the crop of new designs. So if the Shaw 650 or the Viper 640 groups say "thank goodness, that's a relief" I'll let you in on a bit of nasty news: more than a few local rating boards have drawn the line at 22 feet, at least for sporties. any of the newer designs are going to be affected by this. I call that stupid.

I posted the following in the i550.org forums ....

Well, this decision by your local phrf is an insult. Jeff your boat is a gem. I am trying to see the reasoning from the phrf rating committee's view and an unable to grasp their stance. Especially in light of the current reduction in participation in sailing.

WT heck. Is it time to organize the sporties of North America along the lines of an Australian sportboat Association?

ham handed as I sometimes am, always have had the intention of inclusion and flexibility in sailing. Joining USsailing begins to be arguably self defeating because they are 99% sure to backstop the local phrf commitees. Joining the ISAF with all the questionable closed door dealings they have been involved in in the last years is equally imprudent?

change always comes from the individuals seeking change for inclusion. Committees , federations and associations by their very nature grow to the critical point of inflexibility and inability to adapt.

Herein lies the conundrum. If a North American Sport Boat Association is formed how long will it be before it, too, becomes a victim of its own success?

apologies for the rant. T

I got an email response last night from the regional handicapper re: my PHRF certificate. He indicated that he was on vacation until Tuesday, at which time he would "correct it". Might not quite be over yet. We'll see what happens...

I got an email response last night from the regional handicapper re: my PHRF certificate. He indicated that he was on vacation until Tuesday, at which time he would "correct it". Might not quite be over yet. We'll see what happens...

Hey Jeff

Let me know how you make out with the rating. If you still have trouble once the duffer gets back in his cage I will be happy to see what strings I can pull.

Thanks Christian. It would be nice for LMPHRF to set the example (in the Midwest at least) for rating small sporties.

This is one of the reasons why PHRF needs to have some sort of national oversight...

I've raced against Lightnings and Thistles in PHRF races on lakes in the southeast and AFAIK here's nothing PHRF that puts restriction on size or safety as regards the rating. It should be up to race organizers to specify minimum requirements for boats to race and something as arbitrary as size should not apply as a Star or Etchells (for example) is no safer than than an I550. Instead races should specify requirements according to ISAF OSR categories or something similar. Racing on a lake in Wisconsin couldn't possible be anything more stringent than Category 4 and an I550 should meet that easily.

Now if all people were as reasonable as you Speng! I suspect (hope!) that the handicapper will do the right thing and rate the boat (reasonably!). We will find out next week.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TG-fkplTpc4

Shazza, Tokyo Trash Baby, and Scott's Mini (Green Kite)

Good stuff, Shazz. Man, that makes me want a cigarette.

Yeah, Kids Watching---DON'T SMOKE--it is NOT COOL!!!!!!!!!!

Filthy bloody habit I have tried numerous ways to give up!!!!!!!!!!

The boat should be the only one smoking--but it's also too young just yet.

Freakin' great SHAZZA and all you all! The boat looks great, nice work!! Very impressive. What a treat to see that. Thanks.

bd

Hah ha. No man, I meant the boat is so sexy I wanted a ciggie when the video ended! :)

Hah ha. No man, I meant the boat is so sexy I wanted a ciggie when the video ended! :)

Tim, too much information !

:):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnXybiQS2_Q

Can't help putting in another short vid.

will be good to get an idea of speed once you are upto cat 6 specs with all your gear in the boat! :P that main works well in the light, pitty the battens dont want to co-operate though!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tnXybiQS2_Q

will be good to get an idea of speed once you are upto cat 6 specs with all your gear in the boat! :P that main works well in the light, pitty the battens dont want to co-operate though!

Very light breeze, very light (non-race) crew and no weight inside and trying out sails while you guys where in cruise mode----no relation whatsoever to how the boats will go in race mode--shoulda said that. ;)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tnXybiQS2_Q

Very light breeze, very light (non-race) crew and no weight inside and trying out sails while you guys where in cruise mode----no relation whatsoever to how the boats will go in race mode--shoulda said that. ;)

we gonna be close, no worries about that. just remember there was only 40secs between us and baby faced assassin in b2b from 6 hours racing! cant wait to get a few together racing!

Hey TTB, I see you converted to a Freedom® - Catboat rig. Cool.

yeah makes it easier to rig!

Hey TTB, I see you converted to a Freedom® - Catboat rig. Cool.

yeah makes it easier to rig!

I don't think that rig is within the rules !!! :o

Yeah mate, going absolutly nuts..... :P

Serously goggs, can you send me any pics you got of us under chute late in the day. Keen too see how straight that mast was (or wether we need runners)

Mast from where we were looked sweet, but there was stuff all wind so i wouldnt take that day as an example! If it moved with 5knots of wind you will be in all sorts when it blows! Will get the pics to Tokyo some time and he can forward them on to you! There was a few more.

Quick update on Shazza,

QCYC Winter Series

First race was today, which was short course windward returns. Div 2

Race 1--2nd over line---1st Hcp

Race 2--3rd over line---5th hcp

Not bad for a start and only 5 odd knots.

Very impressive....

I thought shipping crates were too sticky in the light?

Managed to get the fat bottomed girls ass out of the water? (That was directed at the boat and not who the boat is named after! The real Shazza is a very nice catch!)

Very impressive....

Managed to get the fat bottomed girls ass out of the water? (That was directed at the boat and not who the boat is named after! The real Shazza is a very nice catch!)

The 1100mm square top would be a

weapon in that weather! Great results, well done to the team on shazza! Heard they were sailing four up aswell!

Very impressive....

No offence taken, "Shazza" wasn't named after anyone except the great Aussie icon Shazza--bit rough around the edges, not necessarily the girl you take home to mum--but great for a good time!!!! (my wife/crew is Donna)

Hey Turkey Slapper, could you please send me a couple of full size images with kite up---CG Composites wants one for their wall

Just learned that a local phrf committee has refused to rate an i550 in Wisconsin...

From my post on the i550.org site:

Huzzah! The i550 now has a rating in Lake Michigan PHRF! The magic number is 120. Yes, it seems rather low. My guess is that the committee in their infinite "wisdom" decided to rate the boat fast since they weren't sure WTF they were dealing with. Hey, at least they took the step to rate the boat. Good on them for that. We will see how she goes with the club racing here in Madison. PHRF ratings for new designs are naturally in flux.

I expect the certificate by mail tomorrow and will post it here for everyone's reference.

http://www.lmphrf.org/Look_Up_a_Handicap/search.pl?number=&name=Alchemy&type=&bhcp

Jeff

Very impressive....

weapon in that weather! Great results, well done to the team on shazza! Heard they were sailing four up aswell!

'Four and a half' up, i reckon i'm at least one and a half!! Thanks for the sail, seeya at St Helena!

'Four and a half' up, i reckon i'm at least one and a half!! Thanks for the sail, seeya at St Helena!

Happy birthday Angry Chair. Happy to have you on/up Shazza anytime-----See you October for St. Helena

Hi Boots,

Nice going! I'm in your area (Orange Beach) and would like to see more of your project.

Who was it who said, " resistance is futile you will be assimilated"?

There has been a launch in Croatia, congratulations. Watershed has sent seven sets of plans to Croatia and Slovenia, another 4 to Northern Italy and the builder in Turkey is roaring right along ,too

No worries! One thousand i550 threads would not be excessive.

Dig your site - looks like you will splash this summer?? 1st one in the Bay?

Thanks, Duff.

I have some sorta health issue that's gonna knock me out of the boat shed for a month, otherwise I think I could get in by late Sept., but now it looks more like...(gulp)...next spring.

Sux getting old.

If one rudder is fast and two faster three faster still, how about a dozen shorties? A curious mind wants to know.

My f*****ing Gaawd! 25 knots??? in 45 true??????

Go Man go.

'Shazza' update--QCYC Winter Series

Only one race today--lack of breeze again 2-5kts.

Getting boring this slow stuff.

2nd over the line 1st on handicap

Josh, great showing.

Just sent out #299. Some of the latest lans have gone to Malta, Croatia and Brazil. Someone has #300 with their name on it (:-

Josh, great showing.

Just sent out #299. Some of the latest lans have gone to Malta, Croatia and Brazil. Someone has #300 with their name on it (:-

That would be my name...

Plans for #300 have been delivered.

posted first by TTB on i550 site

St. Helena 2nd & 3rd October

Looks like we may possibly have 3 boats racing each other the first weekend in october. the new girl on the block SHAZZA is rip roaring to go, TTB the old war horse is always up for a game, and the Baby Faced Assassin which showed some good pace in this years bay to bay going down to TTB by 40seconds after nearly 6hrs 20mins of racing. can the new girl on the block stage us all up? will the Baby Faced Assassin show us the way? will the old girl be chasing the pack?? can we win the teams event? two big days, two big courses to sail. lots of upwind and lots of downwind.......... there can only be one winner!

tongue.png

Can they all beat the castle 650's! :lol:

Castle ? Ba ha hah ahahah

Probably ? Definitely ? Maybe ? ;)

Don't know about Tokyo, but Shazza only have one reason to sail St. Helena to beat Tokyo Trash and Baby Faced Assassin. The current "un-disputed heavy weight" champ, TTB, is gunna LOOSE this time !

After that's done we might be interested in a little Castle action ! :P

Castle? Just have to move the cameria to get to the Kingswood

All of you guys are bringin' a big smile to Pagosa Springs this morning.

All of you guys are bringin' a big smile to Pagosa Springs this morning.

I made the mistake of taking a steam out there - smelled like sulfur for a week!

You're supposed to soak in it not drink it. You'l have to come back and try the Springs again. ;)

A DRAFT Constitution for the i550 Class Association has been posted on i550.org

There are 12 boats sailing that we know of. Another 30 are in build. with maybe half of those getting launched this year. more than 300 plan sets have been sold world wide.

For this number of people to have stepped up encourages us to believe that a lot more are one just one clicky from getting a set of plans, patterns or a pre-cut kit.

We are working to gain recognition from sailing clubs as an achievable transition boat for junior sailors which will not bore them out of their gourds. ( and the adults , too).

We make no claims that building a boat is not a commitment. We do know that you get more out of it than you put in.

YES, I bought an add. now do your part to grow grassroots sailing. Visit us in the SA classifieds.

TR

p.s. If you keep me busy I am likely to stay out of (more) trouble.

Great news! Especially for a new boat. Love the videos, too.

so is this an i550? Just saw this in the local Salt Lake classifieds. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=11855084&cat=197&lpid=&search=

No its a Randonneur 550. designed by marc lombard. was sold by bateau.com for years until they made their own version that looks highly similar. has a swing keel in it too.

http://marclombard.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=80〈=en

also has more chines than an i550

QCYC Winter Series

Division 2

Winner-----Shazza

forforum.jpg

Here are a couple of marginal quality cell phone pics from last week's Wed. night beer can race. Results were not great, but we did keep pace with an SB3 for the most part. But it was only the third third time the boat hit the water. Let's just say we have some tuning to do!

post-7091-075407200 1281705013_thumb.jpg

post-7091-032514000 1281705015_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of marginal quality cell phone pics from last week's Wed. night beer can race. Results were not great, but we did keep pace with an SB3 for the most part. But it was only the third third time the boat hit the water. Let's just say we have some tuning to do!

post-7091-075407200 1281705013_thumb.jpg

post-7091-032514000 1281705015_thumb.jpg

LOOKING NICE ! :)

And meanwhile there has been a warp speed build going forward in Texas. I'll leave it to the young guy to update his blog (slightly barbaric). Presently the boat is on its way toward Chucktown in south Carolina tailgateing the car in front.

I 'spect he was busy driving and not blogging these past couple days. Last I heard from him he had finish paint on the hull and was flying along with the deck.

We need pictures.

Living in St. Augustine & thinking @ building one. Anyone know of a i550 nearby that I could have a look at?

Thanks,

Paul

Living in St. Augustine & thinking @ building one. Anyone know of a i550 nearby that I could have a look at?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul-

Glad to hear that you are interested. See here for locations: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=115187542624947231352.00045d25d24fb6247ff24&ll=27.488781,-82.705078&spn=9.328299,18.303223&z=6

There is one boat in progress to the north of you and one sailing to the south. Sounds like the makings for a nice E. Florida Fleet. Also visit i550.org to ask questions of other builders (Kool-aid drinkers).

Best,

Jeff

Bribie Cup weekend of 11th September is on for us.

Need some long distance training before taking on the Big Guns and The Mexicans in the St Helena Cup 2-3 October.HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ANDREW - TOKYO TRASH BABY 12th September. Any excuse will do you Andrew, that weekend you got a good one at least. :)Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday you prime specimen of a man, happy birthday to you --for Sunday

best version yet.

Bribie Cup Results

Shazza 2nd on HCP and Line honours

Shazza, great result. I am rooting for Team i550 in the St. Helena regatta.

So i am scratching my head trying to place the build of the i550 on the front page with a name and with a place. With plan set #309 poised to go in the Post it is getting tough to keep who's who sorted out.

T

I'm thinking it's mindgasm. Looks like S. Maryland and I didn't see him at Oxford this past weekend. Just a guess, though.

Bribie Cup Results

So i am scratching my head trying to place the build of the i550 on the front page with a name and with a place. With plan set #309 poised to go in the Post it is getting tough to keep who's who sorted out.

T

It's #247 in LA (Lower Alabama, that is.) ;'D

In which case, I retract my guess about mindgasm.

Nice looking start there, Hknbts!

Sadly, it isn't me. I will be starting my build over the fall. Probably October, but no later than November. I have been sorting out the build space, as well as working here and there on the Constitution.

As for Oxford, I had a few things going on, that precluded my participation unfortunately.

Have some questions about the plans?

Which is the better route to go the 75 dollar plans or they Tyvek?

what is included with the plans? like a materials list

has anyone built one on the chesse bay? and has anyone rated one.

would letting ullam sails be out of the question for one design?

thanks

FD

Have some questions about the plans?

Which is the better route to go the 75 dollar plans or they Tyvek?

Depends. If you want to build exactly like the plans, then the patterns will save you 10-20 hours of drawing before you cut. But have a look at the various build blogs to see the variations that folks have done with their boats- the patterns don't work once you go off the prescribed path. Your call otherwise.

what is included with the plans? like a materials list

Decent drawings of all the ply parts, a rough material list, a basic build guide. Left to the builder are foil shapes, rig, and sail dimensions.

Check the map for plans and builds in your area, I think Tim is the closest build, in Baltimore. Search a little ways up this thread for raildwn's posting of his PH certificate. If you plan to race PH, it's a good idea to figure out if the boat will be allowed in your area.

would getting ullman sails be out of the question for one design?

If this is your question, then sailmaker selection is open under the class rules.

If you're really interested, join the forum on the class website and you can get lots of helpful folks to answer whatever questions you have.

Bribie Cup Results

T

It's #247 in LA (Lower Alabama, that is.) ;'D

You want a ready made Keel & Rudder? I have some gathering dust in my shed that I picked up from another i550 builder. Doesn't look like I will be able to build any time soon, so they're yours if you want 'em. I'm in Auburn.

So I've been staring at the rules, inspired by the VGYD open 30 and Wylie una rigged boats, and it seems there is nothing to preclude an una rigged i550 except for rule 5.2, but does it imply that the mast base shall be located at frame 089, or only that the mast length be measure from that spot?

And that may imply that you can get a much longer mast with some rake?

P

w

FD

FD, this bad boy will be on the Bay next spring (unless it snows a lot this winter)

the yet-to-be named hull #87....

post-768-015390600 1284649757_thumb.jpg

So I've been staring at the rules, inspired by the VGYD open 30 and Wylie una rigged boats, and it seems there is nothing to preclude an una rigged i550 except for rule 5.2, but does it imply that the mast base shall be located at frame 089, or only that the mast length be measure from that spot?

And that may imply that you can get a much longer mast with some rake?

P

The rules have a bunch of unclear stuff in them, and as the Class finally organizes itself (final stages of hammering out a constitution now...) I'd expect there to be a handful of either rule clarifications or interpretations. For instance, it's unclear to me whether 5.2 should be read as an "air draft" or mast length- the rule was clearly written assuming the mast would be near f89, but that's not required by any rule. The biggest impediment to a cat rig would be boom length (see 5.3), and then from a performance point of view the inability to set a reasonable spinnaker. From a weight/structure point of view you'd be torquing the nose an awful lot with the mast up front and having to add a lot of structure to counter that. Overall, I don't see any merit to the whole idea.

Funny, racing against a Wylie across an ocean, we joked what their sail selection chart looked like- was it a polar chart with a really big circle covering the whole chart, labelled "main"; or was it a wind speed/angle table with every square labelled "main"? Or how many times the guy on deck rousted the folks sleeping below calling for a sail change, just to mess with them...

Update on the Portland, Oregon build here:

http://i550cheapdate.blogspot.com/

Boat is actually closer to done than the photos. All of the paint work and non-skid are done and now it is just a matter of mounting hardware and finishing up the keel foil.

We have been pouring bulbs and have 2 done and are pouring the 3rd soon. We have a rudder mold so we will be banging out a Portland "OD" rudder for the 5 boats being built here. If anyone wants to build a rudder with our mold we can be very accommodating!! Picture of the mold:

post-2191-097510400 1284659758_thumb.jpg

& rudder:

post-2191-080356200 1284659826_thumb.jpg

The rudder measures 74.25" total length, blade measures 54.25"; the chord is tapered, but mid-foil chord length is ~11.25". We have fabricated gudgeons & pintles for around $250.

We have built (are finishing up) a jig for the next 4 boats; we hope to bang out 2 more bare hulls before winter while we show off boat #1 locally to build more interest. Glad to be almost done with the first of five!